PDA

View Full Version : Round 19: Bulldogs vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
23-06-09, 12:24 PM
Bulldogs vs Gold Coast Titans

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/bulldogsvstitans.jpg

Referee: Jared Maxwell, Ben Cummins

Bulldogs
Luke Patten, Hazem El Masri, Josh Morris, Daryl Millard, Matt Utai, Ben Roberts, Brett Kimmorley, Jarrad Hickey, Michael Ennis, Michael Hodgson, Yileen Gordon, Andrew Ryan (c), David Stagg.

Subs: Brad Morrin, Chris Armit, Gary Warburton, Daniel Holdsworth, Ben Barba (one to be omitted).

Gold Coast Titans
Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Esi Tonga, Brett Delaney, David Mead, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince (c), Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Michael Henderson, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison.

Subs: Matt White, Brad Meyers, Daniel Conn, William Zillman.

Boofhead
14-07-09, 02:46 PM
Team lists TBA!...

amaline
14-07-09, 05:00 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Brett Delaney
5. David Mead
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

Interchange
14. Matt White
15. Brad Meyers
16. Daniel Conn
17. William Zillman
19. Will Matthews

No Walker this week.

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 05:56 PM
Guys and girls, tickets are still available for this match, the double header on Friday at Suncorp Stadium/Lang Park!

There are under 1,000 tickets left and a little more restricted view. These will go fast, so please jump onto http://www.ticketek.com.au or visit a ticketek outlet tomorrow morning, or give them a call.

Let's get as many Titans fans there as possible!

Paul
14-07-09, 06:00 PM
I think we'll beat them comfortably,I just have a good feeling about this game.

Rage
14-07-09, 06:14 PM
I'm hoping that the Titans were holding back a little in last night's game so as to be ready for this game, where they can put in an 80 minute performance of what teh first 15 of the Eels game was.

karnage
14-07-09, 08:39 PM
I'm hoping that the Titans were holding back a little in last night's game so as to be ready for this game, where they can put in an 80 minute performance of what teh first 15 of the Eels game was.

I found myself thinking that last night as well but I hope it was not the case.

I always feel more confident going into games that can go either way that I do in games that we SHOULD win like the Parra game.

We flogged the Dogs earlier on and now we meet them with a depleted lineup in our own backyard again. We'll win this one and nail down second all for ourselves!!

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 09:05 PM
Idris could return for this game. Even if he does he will likely be down on confidence and form. But I'd rather not see him named. Come back next week Idris!

amaline
14-07-09, 09:10 PM
Idris could return for this game. Even if he does he will likely be down on confidence and form. But I'd rather not see him named. Come back next week Idris!

Bulldogs
1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Josh Morris
4. Daryl Millard
5. Matt Utai
6. Ben Roberts
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Jarrad Hickey
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Yileen Gordon
12. Andrew Ryan
13. David Stagg

14. Brad Morrin
15. Chris Armit
16. Gary Warburton
17. Daniel Holdsworth
22. Ben Barba

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 09:22 PM
It was great to hear Carty on the radio today & when asked about this match & such a short turn around from Monday to Friday night he said it was the Titans decision to play at Suncorp Friday or ANZ on Sunday arvo ..... it's quite smart to take an almost home match over travelling to Sydney & back before having to prepare to take on the Boncos at Skilled .... so come Friday the boys prepare for a match by jumping on a bus for an hour then playing a game of Footy in front a huge crowd with i would guess a massive support group & returning to their home & own beds Friday night :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 09:33 PM
I think it'll be a case of him not being named and playing, well if he does play, that has to be the case doesn't it.

Right on Pete, I'm glad the Titans did it. They made a really cool thing happen, the double header. I have never been to an NRL level double header before. I think it will be an advantage for us performance wise, we can keep our routine and treat it as a quasi home game. I think the Titans will lift, we will be playing before a capacity crowd (If they all stay) and at the home of Queensland rugby league.

We also have the chance to recruit new fans in Brisbane

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 09:41 PM
We also have the chance to recruit new fans in Brisbane

Many of them may see the light if we knock the Dogs off & the Boncos get rolled by the Rabbits :laugh:

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 09:50 PM
Many of them may see the light if we knock the Dogs off & the Boncos get rolled by the Rabbits :laugh:

Yea, I'm sure they would love to be following a team in the Finals. *boom* *boom* *tsssst*

One thing that killed us on Monday was the Eels 2nd phase play, hopefully we can lock them up on Friday.

GEE I'M PUMPED FOR THIS!

Also excited to see Gordon and Mead on for 80mins and mix in 80mins of Presto.

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 09:57 PM
Yea, I'm sure they would love to be following a team in the Finals. *boom* *boom* *tsssst*

One thing that killed us on Monday was the Eels 2nd phase play, hopefully we can lock them up on Friday.

GEE I'M PUMPED FOR THIS!

Also excited to see Gordon and Mead on for 80mins and mix in 80mins of Presto.

I agree mate the Eels got to many offloads away & it could've hurt us but luckily it didn't :doh:

I'll be excited to see the 2 Fastest Wingers in the game give "Wind Burn" to Hasam & Utai all night :laugh:

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 10:04 PM
I agree mate the Eels got to many offloads away & it could've hurt us but luckily it didn't :doh:

I'll be excited to see the 2 Fastest Wingers in the game give "Wind Burn" to Hasam & Utai all night :laugh:

:laugh: I love it, well put Pete!

I'll be sitting with my mate BulldogBobby who was in The Legion with me for the Bulldogs game. My ribs are still bruised from him elbowing me every time the Dogs made a great play. Please Titans win, you don't realise what is at stake for me!

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 10:10 PM
:laugh: I love it, well put Pete!

I'll be sitting with my mate BulldogBobby who was in The Legion with me for the Bulldogs game. My ribs are still bruised from him elbowing me every time the Dogs made a great play. Please Titans win, you don't realise what is at stake for me!

Just imagine what he would've done if they had won :laugh:

patskE
15-07-09, 12:14 AM
man, just get them to do in and away's on em all night, give em early ball with space, and they will burn em every time

dee13
15-07-09, 04:50 PM
Unfortunatly guys, Blade will not be on deck at the Bulldogs game at Suncorp. I was really looking forward to it aswell.:cry:

I bet the Rabbitohs mascot will show up.:mad:

titanstattman
15-07-09, 08:30 PM
Unfortunatly guys, Blade will not be on deck at the Bulldogs game at Suncorp. I was really looking forward to it aswell.:cry:

I bet the Rabbitohs mascot will show up.:mad:

So i bet the Doggs said no to it i bet or suncorp did....

amaline
15-07-09, 08:36 PM
So i bet the Doggs said no to it i bet or the suncorp....

Probably not enough room with the 15 mascots the Broncos have :laugh:

titanstattman
15-07-09, 08:46 PM

Yeah true...

Hey i hear u came down to the legion on monday night sorry i wasnt there we live arcross from each other and we still havent meant.....lol:doh:

Rage
15-07-09, 08:59 PM
By Ian McCullough AAP Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:45:11

Gold Coast fullback Preston Campbell says Friday's clash with the second-placed Bulldogs will be a genuine test of the Titans' NRL finals aspirations.

John Cartwright's side sit one place behind the Bulldogs on the NRL ladder and victory at Suncorp Stadium would go a long way to securing the club's first-ever finals spot.

"It'll really show where we stand in the competition," Campbell said.

"The Bulldogs have been consistent, and even without their Origin players they played really well against the Warriors last week.

"We'll be looking for a tough encounter and I am looking forward to it actually."

The 32-year-old former Penrith and Cronulla star has been in fine form this season, but missed his side's unconvincing 18-12 victory over struggling Parramatta on Monday with the flu.

He says he's confident of being fit to face the Bulldogs.

"You hate to miss a game at the best of times but at this stage of the season it's really important to have your full-strength side on the field," he said.

"The boys won. They won ugly but nonetheless it's two points so I was happy in the end.

"If we can get over the top of them I think it'd be a great thing for us to go into the semis on.

"I know the semis are still a fair way away, but you need to go into the semis on some good form and the last couple of weeks we haven't been showing that good form.

"We need to build some good momentum."

Cartwright welcomed the decision by the Bulldogs to move the game to Brisbane as part of a double-header fixture that will see Brisbane take on South Sydney before his side kicks off at 8.30 (AEST).

Almost 50,000 tickets have been sold for the occasion and Cartwright said it is an exciting time for the NRL's youngest club.

"We've got some blockbusters coming up. This one's a sellout and hopefully the next two at home will be sellouts against the Broncos and the Cowboys," Cartwright said.

"It's not a time to sit back and worry about anything. It's exciting times and everyone loves playing in these big games at the big stage."

Source: www.nrl.com

amaline
15-07-09, 08:59 PM
Yeah true...

Hey i hear u came down to the legion on monday night sorry i wasnt there we live arcross from each other and we still havent meant.....lol:doh:

Yeah, I came down for the second half. It was a lot better with atmosphere and stuff compared to where I was sitting. I'll be down there for Under 20's against Broncos, so I'll come say hello. :thumbsup:

titanstattman
15-07-09, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I came down for the second half. It was a lot better with atmosphere and stuff compared to where I was sitting. I'll be down there for Under 20's against Broncos, so I'll come say hello. :thumbsup:

Yeah sweet as dude....

amaline
15-07-09, 09:45 PM
Doesn't sound good for Harrison playing this weekend. They just said he limped off the field.

kwigibo
15-07-09, 10:17 PM
Doesn't sound good for Harrison playing this weekend. They just said he limped off the field.

Yeah, it seemed the only players getting hurt were Harrison or players from teams we don't have to play. Kimmorley should be a little tired at least, all that cover defense.

patskE
15-07-09, 10:18 PM
he seemed ok at the end i think they just didnt want to put him back on to be safe, casue u could see him running freely up n down the side line for a bit, and at the end looked ok, iam no docter but

amaline
15-07-09, 10:27 PM
he seemed ok at the end i think they just didnt want to put him back on to be safe, casue u could see him running freely up n down the side line for a bit, and at the end looked ok, iam no docter but

Yeah, it did look like he came good by the end. Ennis didn't seem like he played a big part in this game, but Kimmorley was in everything.

Rage
15-07-09, 10:28 PM

Yeah I saw him celebrating and stuff without discomfort so I assume he's ok. However, in saying that, I assumed the same thing from game 2 when i saw him post match and we all know how that turned out...

karnage
15-07-09, 10:56 PM

He looked bloody awful to me so I hope your assessment is better than mine...

DIEHARD
16-07-09, 01:28 AM
Titans' dogged challenge

THE atmosphere and prospect of knocking off National Rugby League competition heavyweights the Bulldogs will have the Gold Coast Titans firing at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Despite the short turnaround from Monday night's 18-12 victory over Parramatta, Titans football manager Scott Clark dispelled concerns players would struggle backing up for two games in four days, saying the club loved a challenge.

The Gold Coast and the Bulldogs sit neck and neck on the premiership ladder and a victory on Friday would propel the Titans into outright second position, two points behind St George Illawarra who have a bye this weekend.

Clark said despite starting strongly then falling off the pace in recent seasons, the Titans of 2009 had shown they were 'the real deal'.

A crowd of more than 50,000 is expected at Suncorp Stadium, where the Titans play the Bulldogs and the Broncos take on South Sydney in the Friday night double-header.

"One thing we have shown in our short history is that we like the big games and the players really like stepping up to the plate in these matches," said Clark.

"We have always played tight games in front of the big crowds.

"The club is always up for a challenge and that's exactly what we know we will get on Friday."

With two games in quick succession, the Titans have a weights session today before a light ball work session tomorrow.

Preston Campbell will add more flair to the Titans line-up when he returns against the Bulldogs after missing Monday's victory with the flu.

Ashley Harrison has been named to make his return from a rib injury but that will depend on how he pulls up from tonight's third State of Origin clash in Brisbane.

Flyer Chris Walker is likely to miss the match with a quadricep injury while the coaching staff will closely monitor Mark Minichiello who picked up a knee knock but is expected to be passed fit for the Bulldogs clash.

Off contract at season's end, Walker, who has been impressive in his return to the NRL, left the field not long after scoring a try on Monday.

Clark did not expect Walker's latest setback to hinder his chances of securing a contract in 2010, whether that be at the Titans or another club.

"Everyone knows what Chris Walker can do and where his strengths are on the football field," he said.

"It's unfortunate as this is another setback for Chris but we still have nine games to play this season and I have no doubt that his contribution will play a big part in that."

Walker wants to be fit for the Titans-Broncos derby at Skilled Park on Friday week.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
16-07-09, 04:00 AM
Preston is back for the tough run home

LIVEWIRE Preston Campbell's toughness can never be questioned, so the frustration he holds from missing Monday night's victory over Parramatta is understandable.

So when the opening whistle is blown against the Bulldogs tomorrow night, the Titans custodian will be in the thick of it.

"It's frustrating, especially when I wasn't injured. You hate to miss a game at the best of times," said Campbell of missing Monday's game with flu.

"At this time of the season it's really important to have your full strength side on the field but the boys won. They won ugly but nonetheless it's two points, so I was happy in the end."

With Chris Walker ruled out for two weeks with a quad injury, Campbell's return is timely for coach John Cartwright.

"We are very fortunate that we have Preston coming back, plus we've got David Mead and William Zillman so we are pretty spoiled for choice there at the moment." he said.

Despite the gruelling challenge of backing up just four days after their 18-12 win over Parramatta, Cartwright is confident his troops will rise to the occasion at a sold-out Suncorp Stadium.

It will be a big night of footy action, with the Titans and Bulldogs taking to the field after the Broncos-Rabbitohs clash.

"It's going to be hard this week but it was our choice to play on a Friday," said Cartwright.

"Mentally we have definitely been preparing for it and physically the players may be a little down but we are thinking the occasion and the atmosphere will get us through."

Cartwright said the Bulldogs were the first test in a tough run home. "(The Bulldogs) will take a lot of confidence out of that win against the Warriors," he said.

"They were well down on troops and it's going to be a similar situation for them with three guys backing up from Origin.

"We have some blockbusters coming up, this one's a sellout and hopefully the next two (against the Broncos and Cowboys) at home will be sellouts. It's not a time to sit back and worry about anything, it's exciting times -- you love playing those big games on the big stage."

Cartwright believes the return of co-captain Luke Bailey's would offer composure to the squad.

``That game against Parramatta was one he needed to get under his belt and he'll get better from here on in,'' he said.

``He's a club-captain, he's a leader and it's an important part of the year so it's good to have him back on the field.

Campbell said a win over the Bulldogs, who they beat 20-12 at Skilled Park in Round 3, would lift them as they look towards the semi-finals.

``I know the semis are still a fair way away but you need to go into the semis with some good form and the last couple of weeks we haven't been showing that form,'' he said.

``We showed some good stints against Canberra and a little bit against Parramatta early in the game but we really need to build some good momentum.''

``The Bulldogs are travelling well and they have people talking about them as premiership contenders so it'll really show where we stand in the competition.''

patskE
16-07-09, 11:47 AM
anyone got any news on harrison? been reading a few articles about injury's and stuff but cant find harrison anywhere.

karnage
16-07-09, 01:25 PM
anyone got any news on harrison? been reading a few articles about injury's and stuff but cant find harrison anywhere.

I just jumped on here on my lunch break to ask exactly the same thing.

GCT_89
16-07-09, 04:36 PM
i heard on the radio that hes fighting fit and ready to go......

amaline
16-07-09, 05:02 PM

Lockyer isn't. He's going to be out for three weeks, including the game against us next Friday. :thumbsup:

dee13
16-07-09, 05:07 PM

And they are all named Buck. How original.

Not sure on the reasons why but you bet I will be there giving it to the Boncos next game. My target for the game... Hodges

karnage
16-07-09, 05:15 PM

Best news I have heard all day!!

GCT_89
16-07-09, 05:19 PM
Not sure on the reasons why but you bet I will be there giving it to the Boncos next game. My target for the game... Hodges

THANKYOU!!!!!!

He Will be my target too.......actually i have already made a banner for him.....

HODGES
IS A
DISGRACE

he would be pretty game to try and start **** down at skilled park.......so im taking it to brisbane tomorrow night as well.......lol

Rage
16-07-09, 05:53 PM
Bulldogs v Titans
Suncorp Stadium
Friday 8.30pm

We may be eight games out from the semi-finals but the two competition points on offer here will go a long way to determining the fate of these sides in season 2009.

Both share second place on 26 points on the NRL ladder, two points adrift of the Dragons who are guaranteed to maintain their top rung with a bye this week.

That means one of these sides will stay in touch with the race for the minor premiership, while the loser could fall to fourth place and face a battle in coming weeks to return to the top two.

Both sides have a short back-up, although the Titans have the advantage of having to sweat on the return of just the one Origin star in back-rower Ashley Harrison. Conversely the Bulldogs have their paws crossed centre Josh Morris, halfback Brett Kimmorley and hooker Michael Ennis emerge unscathed from Origin III.

Also, the Bulldogs have effectively surrendered their home-ground advantage, with this clash the second scheduled in a wonderful double-header at Suncorp Stadium ? the Titans are likely to have as many if not more fans make the trip up the corridor from the Gold Coast strip.

The Bulldogs have won four of their past five, their only recent blemish when they were overpowered by the Sea Eagles at Brookvale a fortnight ago. Despite being massively under-strength last week they were still too good for the Warriors in New Zealand, getting up in dramatic fashion with a 78th-minute try.

Injured prop Ben Hannant and suspended duo Bryson Goodwin and Greg Eastwood remain sidelined for another week. Yileen Gordon, who has been in excellent form the past month, earns a starting position in the second row, which pushes Gary Warburton to a bench bolstered by the inclusion of Toyota Cup star Ben Barba in jersey no.22.

The Titans have won five of the past six, their hiccup a 34-28 loss to the Raiders in Canberra. They weren?t at their best against the Eels last Monday night and met some spirited opposition but they managed to grind out an ugly win.

Preston Campbell returns after a week out, pushing William Zillman to the bench, while rookie David Mead takes over from the injured Chris Walker on the wing. Harrison?s return pushes Brad Meyers to the bench.

Watch out Bulldogs: Spurned NSW back-rower Anthony Laffranchi will be out to show he didn?t deserve to be overlooked by the Blues. Certainly his stats this season show he?s powering through his work ? he ranks second in the NRL for hit-ups with 258 (the only forward in the top five), plus he ranks 15th for tackles made with 508 (33 a game). He also ranks 13th for offloads with 25, making him a genuine threat all around the park.

Watch out Titans: Scott Prince and Mat Rogers will need to bring their kicking games with them and ensure they boot the ball well away from Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten. The NSW 18th man is making 140 metres a game from the back. His total of 2237 metres gained ranks second to Newcastle?s Kurt Gidley.

Patten has a wonderful knack of knowing how to link with his supports to turn a kick-return into a blistering counter-attack, so the Titans will need to ensure their kick-chase defensive line moves up in a straight line.

Where it will be won: Resilience on the short back-up. The Titans have just a four-day turnaround after defeating the Eels at Skilled Park, while their opponents have just one day extra to prepare having accounted for the Warriors in New Zealand on Sunday ? although their travel home on Monday evens that up.

There are two intriguing battles in particular ? in the halves and at hooker.

Brett Kimmorley has thoroughly deserved his Origin recall and is proving a wonderful initiator in attack. His vision and quick shifts are allowing five-eighth Ben Roberts plenty of latitude to plot raids out wide, and have helped him to compile 12 try assist and 12 line-break assists.

The Titans?outside defenders will need to be careful they don?t rush up too quickly or else Roberts will punish them ? he likes nothing more than to wait until the last moment to catch the ball, which enables him to position himself on the outside of his marker. From here he can either use his strong fend to break the tackle or else offload to supports including Josh Morris out wide.

Prince remains one of the most creative forces in the comp with nine line-break assists and 11 try assists.

Bulldogs rake Michael Ennis is a deadly link close to the line ? he has fashioned 12 try assists, most from close range. Likewise Titans hooker Nathan Friend is a valuable contributor, easily leading the NRL for most touches with 1843 ? 193 receives more than second-ranked Ennis.

The history: Played 4; Bulldogs 2, Titans 2. The Bulldogs won both games played in the Gold Coast?s inaugural year in 2007, but the Titans have won the past two games including a 20-12 win in Round 3 at Skilled Park.

Conclusion: Don?t expect this to be a walkover by either side. With so much at stake it has the potential to be one of the games of the season.

The Titans have most to lose. The majority of pundits are expecting them to fall away soon but they have a fit squad and are playing consistent football.

The Bulldogs appear to have more strike-power though and given their line-up plays to form they should prove too good. We?ll tip them by less than six points.

Source: www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
16-07-09, 06:26 PM
LOL Hodges is a LEGEND. An absolute LEGEND! You guys are just bias because you are Blose! Even when he comes to Skilled, I won't be having a go at him, only worshipping him!

Anyway, you serious about Lockyer being out next week? OMG. Lockyer is everything to the Broncos, this could destroy their Finals campaign if he is out for even 3 weeks.

Kimmorley was amazing last night. I was always on the Kimmorley bandwagon and while the forces of good were defeated, he stuck it to his critics. Whether he can back up so soon, is another exciting challenge we will just have to sit back and watch unfold.

I hope Ash is ok, man that man is in the wars! What a trooper! But we need him back in blue, gold and white!

amaline
16-07-09, 06:29 PM
Yeah, three weeks. It'll be a huge blow for them.

NRL
Darren Lockyer injures knee and is scratched for three weeks
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25790500-23214,00.html

Brisbane Broncos captain Darren Lockyer and forward Sam Thaiday have pulled out of Friday night's NRL double header at Suncorp Stadium.
Lockyer is set to miss up to three weeks with a medial ligament strain picked up during State of Origin III, while Thaiday has been ruled out for one week with a rib injury. Aaron Gorell will cover for Lockyer, while Ben Te'o is set to replace Thaiday up front.

The Broncos are also sweating on injury updates for two other State of Origin stars, Justin Hodges and Karmichael Hunt who will notify coach Ivan Henjak of there availability on Friday morning.

Brisbane take on South Sydney in the first game of Friday night's blockbuster with the Bulldogs playing Gold Coast Titans in the second match.

Boofhead
16-07-09, 06:38 PM
Ashley is in doubt for this weekend according to Nine. I wouldn't be upset if we rested him - don't want to risk further injury.

Ryan
16-07-09, 06:43 PM
The Broncos are done anyway, they'll get done for their previous salary cap breaches before the finals come around. Thanks Ken ;)

MONEY FOR NOTHING & CHEQUES FOR FREE!

Dragons
16-07-09, 07:44 PM
LOL Hodges is a LEGEND. An absolute LEGEND! You guys are just bias because you are Blose! Even when he comes to Skilled, I won't be having a go at him, only worshipping him!

Anyway, you serious about Lockyer being out next week? OMG. Lockyer is everything to the Broncos, this could destroy their Finals campaign if he is out for even 3 weeks.

Kimmorley was amazing last night. I was always on the Kimmorley bandwagon and while the forces of good were defeated, he stuck it to his critics. Whether he can back up so soon, is another exciting challenge we will just have to sit back and watch unfold.

I hope Ash is ok, man that man is in the wars! What a trooper! But we need him back in blue, gold and white!

Hodges is a joke and allways will be, but Diehard we all know you have a soft spot for the Bonco's. Blues deserve there win last night and if that wasn't the best game in the last ten years I'll get my balls cut.

Rage
16-07-09, 09:50 PM
So for the people not going to the game, gonna wait till 9:30 without looking at the scores or can'y resist temptation and will go online scoreboard?

Adelaide Titan
16-07-09, 09:57 PM
I think this is gonna be a tight game, possibly golden point? Hopefully Harrison can pull up after Origin for the Titans but the Dogs have a couple of players backing up as well and also have a couple of injuries and suspensions. Titans by 2

titanstattman
16-07-09, 10:28 PM

I'll be trying to get that **** head over to the fance just so i could get up and close and tell him wat i think of him;....... **** head..............

Boofhead
16-07-09, 10:44 PM
Hodges is a fantastic bloke and a true role model to our game.

Edit: Oh come on... No one has bitten yet?

GCT_89
17-07-09, 12:36 AM
Hodges is a fantastic bloke and a true role model to our game.

Edit: Oh come on... No one has bitten yet?

hahahahahaha......for the same reason most people try not to pick on ******s.....lol

goldcoastitans
17-07-09, 12:37 AM
I'll be trying to get that **** head over to the fance just so i could get up and close and tell him wat i think of him;....... **** head..............

I think he is a champ......just shows you how much Qld stick together ....if it had being the other way around ie: White getting knocked out ....NSW wouldnt have rallied like Qld did

its as Fatty said 3 weeks ago on the footy show ...NSW dont have passion like Qld do and Gus agreed with him....

And its exactly wat Thaiday said after the game "you make one of us bleed ...you make all of us bleed"

it was just good to see!!!!

IT reminded me of a good old fashioned footy match ....there were high shots, chicken wings, chocking, kneeing and not much got penalized it was awesome!!!

and that fight was an awesome one on one pitty he got knocked out but ...cause i really like Pricey but he was a good sport about it :thumbsup:

anyway thats my 2 cents :)

teke
17-07-09, 01:52 AM
Whispers are that Bulldog wingers will get bombed all night long :D

Its not surprising since its only El Masri and Utai on the wings. If they arent competing for the ball in the air they could very well be chasing Meads and Gordons shadow down the sideline.

Geez I hope the doggies get dusted bigtime

DIEHARD
17-07-09, 01:53 AM
With Locky and Sam out the first game isn't looking so great. And the Bunnies are a real chance, big chance!

And look at this titanic Bulldogs vs Titans match. Titans near full strength, busting to show what they are made of and in front of a capacity crowd. So many exciting things in store for us. How will the Bulldogs back up? Will Kimmorley's stunning form continue? Will our Ash play? Bull, Rat and Mini are back with one game under their belt.

It is going to be massive and we are all lucky enough to witness it. It's going to be an early Finals quality game. And the perfect time for the Gold Coast to get into Finals mode.

The Broncos vs South Sydney game is the curtain raiser to the real main event! Gold Coast vs Bulldogs! Just one more sleep.

There are only a few hundreds tickets left! http://www.ticketek.com.au

Ryan
17-07-09, 08:40 AM
Goldcoast $2:15

Gold Coast Over 6.5 $3.10

Goldcoast by 1-12 $3:50
Goldcoast by 13+ $5:25

Gold Coast by 1-6 $6.25
Gold Coast by 7-12 $7.50
Gold Coast by 13-18 $9.00
Gold Coast by 19+ $10.00

Plenty of cash there for the Titans, hard to decide which to take..........

TITAN PETE
17-07-09, 09:42 AM
Goldcoast by 1-12 $3:50

Gold Coast by 7-12 $7.50

Plenty of cash there for the Titans, hard to decide which to take..........

I'll be taking those 2 & i can smell a big game from Rogers so i'll sneak in 1st & last try scorers too :fist:

Coaster
17-07-09, 10:11 AM
This whole round will be interesting IMO, to me the refs in SOO3 have set the platform for the rest of this years comp, there are no rules!!

To win the comp, we have to be ready to die for it, there can not be one player that chooses safety over his brethren. People will bleed, some may be carried from the battleground, others may not remember there name, but all who take the field will carry the scars for a lifetime.

Our finals campaign starts now.

DIEHARD
17-07-09, 10:25 AM
Harrison recovery goes to extra time

THE Gold Coast Titans will give injured Queensland Origin backrower Ashley Harrison until an hour before kick-off to prove his fitness against the Bulldogs tonight at Suncorp Stadium.

Harrison was expected to miss at least one week after limping from the field with ankle ligament damage during the State of Origin finale in Brisbane on Wednesday.

The tough forward trained with his Titans teammates yesterday and although obviously not 100 per cent is determined to play.

"They are going great the Bulldogs and I haven't played for my club team for a while so I am excited to get back there and hopefully get a game under my belt," he said.

Have your say on the feedback form below

Harrison has not played for the Titans since round 14 due to a combination of Queensland commitments and a rib cartilage injury.

"I hope to be right. It will be a good test for us."

Titans fullback Preston Campbell is expected to return after missing Monday night's win over Parramatta with the flu.

If Harrison is ruled out, young forward Will Matthews will come on to the bench.

"We will give him as much time as he needs," said Titans coach John Cartwright. "He just rolled an ankle. Normally he would be right for the following week but it has only been 48 hours.

"He recovers pretty quickly."

The Titans-Bulldogs clash shapes as the match of the round as the teams battle for outright second.

The Bulldogs have three players backing up from NSW Origin duty -- halfback Brett Kimmorley, hooker Michael Ennis and centre Josh Morris -- while fullback Luke Patten was in camp all week as 18th man.

While Origin 3 finished in a flurry of punches, look for tonight's clash to be won by the team who best controls the speed of the ruck.

The Titans' little men -- Scott Prince, Nathan Friend, Mat Rogers and Campbell -- are relatively fresh compared with their Bulldogs counterparts and will look to dominate in the middle third of the field. The last time the teams met, in Round 3, the Titans triumphed 20-12 at Skilled Park.

Despite being played in Brisbane, the match is technically a Bulldogs home game after they decided to shift it from ANZ Stadium in Sydney as part of the first NRL double-header in Queensland

A sell-out crowd is expected for the historic night on which the Broncos take on the Rabbitohs before the Titans-Dogs showdown.

The Titans, backing up just four days after Monday night's win over the Eels, were yesterday forced to find an alternative training ground.

Instead of their regular match-eve session at Skilled Park, the Titans finalised preparations at All Saints Anglican School because of tomorrow night's A-League trial between Gold Coast United and Central Coast at Robina.

Cartwright said the switch of venue was not a disruption.

jimbeam06
17-07-09, 10:44 AM
A win tonight can put us on the right road to the finals cmon boys dig in :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
17-07-09, 11:55 AM
Well I am headed in soon, up the Titans! The double header will be an exciting night, really looking forward to it. Also looking forward to seeing our legions of Brisbane fans and hopefully recruiting thousands more to the Titans banner.

See you in there, if anyone wants to catch up SMS me. I think I am in bay 523, around the 30m line Eastern Stand.

Hopefully we see Ash grace the field and we knock out the Bulldogs in an epic Finals worthy rampage.

patskE
17-07-09, 03:43 PM
http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans/193547
carty has ruled harrison out
meyers back row and matthews onto the bench

Adelaide Titan
17-07-09, 05:11 PM
Harrison will be a big loss for us, just gotta hope the Bulldogs players dont back up well from origin

patskE
17-07-09, 08:05 PM
did anyone just see walker in a track suit sitting with the other titans players watching the other game?
he playing? any word? looked like he was

jimbeam06
17-07-09, 10:03 PM
Let me be the first to say its all down hill from here :salute:

patskE
17-07-09, 10:08 PM
wow i cant even watch this game anymore...
just way to many 1 on 1's missed.

Rage
17-07-09, 10:16 PM
At least our for/against will be ok...

patskE
17-07-09, 10:35 PM
man i really think we need walker 4, and move delaney to the bench or something.
a few pass's delaney did could of lead to try's, the forward one and one where mead was in space, but ball went behind him n had to stop himself and go again, closing the gap.
need a centre who can pass imo

Timmy Titans
17-07-09, 11:02 PM
Yeah i agree with Patske Delaney is abit of a ball hog and he needs to learn to pass it abit more we could've scored at least two more tries had he have passed it i think

RobJ
17-07-09, 11:31 PM
Have to agree, Delaney doesn't bring a lot, passing is crap if he does it, defence is ordinary and attack is pedestrian.
We need him out to add some more flair out wide.

teke
17-07-09, 11:40 PM
That was a fairly ordinary game from the Titans but it wasnt THAT bad. They can do much better which is not what i can say for the doggies. They played to the best of their ability. Utai and El Masri defended the way they should have by dropping back a little and giving themselves some space cause of the speed difference.

I hate the dogs but if they were to meet again this year I will be quietly confident.

Man the Titans missed some tackles :nope:

amaline
17-07-09, 11:40 PM
I don't think it was just Delaney tonight. Nearly every pass to our wingers went behind them. It was just down to brilliance by Gordon we scored two tries.

Having said that, Delaney should not be playing centre. If he isn't passing it too late, he's throwing it forward. He had some strong carries, but he can do that coming off the bench in the 2nd row.

Rage
17-07-09, 11:41 PM
Have to agree, Delaney doesn't bring a lot, passing is crap if he does it, defence is ordinary and attack is pedestrian.
We need him out to add some more flair out wide.

But who do we have? Even if Carty does move Walker to centers (which I think has a 10% chance of actually happening barrirng Delaney gets injured), who do we have for 2010 since both Delaney and Walker are leaving?

amaline
17-07-09, 11:46 PM
Man the Titans missed some tackles :nope:

according to stats on rleague.com the dogs missed 5 more tackles that titans. The difference was titans missed tackles led to the dogs making big metres

amaline
17-07-09, 11:47 PM
But who do we have? Even if Carty does move Walker to centers (which I think has a 10% chance of actually happening barrirng Delaney gets injured), who do we have for 2010 since both Delaney and Walker are leaving?

Tomane? Move Gordon or mead? Tagatese?

patskE
17-07-09, 11:50 PM
wat does 2010 matter atm, we need to find a winning side for 09 and i feel walker to the centre offers more in attack, delaney is a great player, but he can do wat his doing now of the bench as a 2nd rower.
as for 2010, u find prob rogers to centre or mead and tomane swaping around

TITAN PETE
17-07-09, 11:51 PM
Well there was plenty to like about the loss... at 16-0 we looked like a 40+ loss coming up but as they did in Canberra the boys dug deep & came home strong & with the right bounce of the ball we may have headed to Golden Point but it wasn't our night :(

A couple of things from the game...
The 1st Dogs try to Morris should've gone upstairs as i'm sure he was offside, Rogers 1st half pass behind Flash was a bombed certain try & that Bullsh#t penaltey against Mathews a metre out on tackle 1......WTF

Rogers needed to score 2 trys as he let 2 in , i think the Rat needs some serious 1 on 1 defence training with the Axe

Flash Gordon , you are going to be 1 of the biggest stars in the NRL, "WHAT A TRY" :clap:

At the end of the day the Dogs outplayed us but the Titans now play for 80 minutes & thats what will be needed for the semis :thumbsup:

teke
17-07-09, 11:54 PM
Cartright has wanted Mead in at centres for a while so I will say he is one of the long term centres which is a good move. Tomane might be the other but time will tell. Delaneys defence would be better than Walkers but Chris is a natural attacker and gives good early ball to his winger which is something that lacks in Delaneys game.

Geez I hate the dogs :mad: :mad:

Rage
17-07-09, 11:58 PM
wat does 2010 matter atm, we need to find a winning side for 09 and i feel walker to the centre offers more in attack, delaney is a great player, but he can do wat his doing now of the bench as a 2nd rower.
as for 2010, u find prob rogers to centre or mead and tomane swaping around

yeah but Carty hardly moves players around. That's why I can only see changes being made in 2010 when the players have actually left.

helcam4
18-07-09, 12:51 AM
just wont to throw something out there,is prince trying to hard or having a little form slump? don`t get me wrong i`m not bagging him. just seems since he missed origin one his form has gone a little off. then tonite ennis got to him within the 1st 5 mins and they where toe to toe in back play and he just seemed pissed off and frustrated all 1st half. is anyone else seeing the same or is it just me?

GCT_89
18-07-09, 01:08 AM
i have seen a form slump from prince, but also dont forget, her isn't playing the same game he was last year.......this year he isnt the only play maker with Rogers, Presto, and Friend all picking up on that work load......

time will tell......i think its mainly the missed tackles that make him stand out.....

but good 2nd half from the boys, they really dug deep, and came SO close to sealing the deal....look forward to next week..............

Rage
18-07-09, 01:13 AM
just wont to throw something out there,is prince trying to hard or having a little form slump? don`t get me wrong i`m not bagging him. just seems since he missed origin one his form has gone a little off. then tonite ennis got to him within the 1st 5 mins and they where toe to toe in back play and he just seemed pissed off and frustrated all 1st half. is anyone else seeing the same or is it just me?

He mentioned in an interview that he's had to change his own style of play due to the added roles of Friend, ,Presto and Rogers.
He hasn't been as dominant and I think that reflects in the differences btween this year and last year's stats. Last year, we were one of the top teams to score within the opposition 10 but not so much this year.

Paul
18-07-09, 08:04 AM

I think his form is ok in general and don't think he's playing bad,It's his kicking game which is atrocious at the moment and has been for a while.We never get to put pressure on teams or get repeat sets because Princey either a) kicks the ball dead or b) kicks it down the throat of the fullback/winger. There is no variety. On Monday night V the eels we were all standing there looking at Luke Burt up in the line and then over to David Mead who didn't have anybody within 40 metres of him yet the kick went straight down the guts and dead,If he kicked it anywhere in meads vacinity it would have been 4 points.This happened more than once and was glaringly obvious.

Last night Prince tried a little chip and chase and nearly pulled it off,why doesn't he do instinctive things like this more often?I can't remember his last chip and chase.Rogers may have scored from a Prince kick last night but I don't think it justifies the 100 "nothing" kicks that are before and after it.If prince varied his kicks,defences would crap themselves to bits as our outside backs are the fastest in the NRL and can all jump and catch a ball well,Prince and Preston are unstoppable when they use their instinct and little chips/grubbers around the ruck when the opposition forwards are tired would be perfect for our little fast men

Variety is the key,It's all too predictable at the moment,try a crossfield kick for our two flying wingers,try a chip and chase or grubber for yourself or someone like preston/zillman,Bomb the crap out of someone who isn't steady under the high ball.....and a 40/20 attempt every now and again would be nice

A couple of things from the game...
The 1st Dogs try to Morris should've gone upstairs as i'm sure he was offside,

Exactly,I would have even gone and had a look at Idris's try as well as the ball an arm hit the deck before he rolled over and put the ball down,It was probably a try anyways but worth a look at least,I notice though as soon as Matty put the ball down Maxwell couldn't wait to get his hand signals up for a replay.It annoys me how blatantly obvious some of these refs agendas are.

A deserved win for the dogs though,They came out and blindsided us right at the start before we woke up and by then it was almost too late.Kimmorley and Ennis both played really well considering they played in origin 2 days prior

Steelers
18-07-09, 08:30 AM
Bulldogs are all class. It's obviously now a battle between us and them for the minor premiership, with the Titans looking like being the best of the rest.

Paul
18-07-09, 10:22 AM
Bulldogs are all class. It's obviously now a battle between us and them for the minor premiership, with the Titans looking like being the best of the rest.

I'm happy where we're sitting atm, dragons and bulldogs have all the pressure and expectations. We are yet to peak, when it all clicks for us hopefully it'll be around finals time. The dragons/dogs haven't had a form slump yet so while they are both the benchmarks so far this season is far from a two horse race

bring it on

Steelers
18-07-09, 10:41 AM
I'm happy where we're sitting atm, dragons and bulldogs have all the pressure and expectations. We are yet to peak, when it all clicks for us hopefully it'll be around finals time. The dragons/dogs haven't had a form slump yet so while they are both the benchmarks so far this season is far from a two horse race

bring it on

Melbourne went 3 years without a form slump. I agree though, all it takes is one narrow loss in September and the race is wide open

Steve
18-07-09, 11:03 AM
Considering we were playing probably the form team in the competition, we did okay.

That late penalty against Mathews probably put the nail in the coffin, which always sucks when it's a dodgy call like that. If we got that set and scored, it's a whole new game.

I think Prince hasn't been at his best all year. Whether it's a change in style or just a bit of a form slump, we're still doing okay because even an out of form Prince is better than most of the halfbacks in the game. Come finals time we need Prince wearing his best player in the game mantle.

karnage
18-07-09, 11:12 AM
I am really surprised that people aren't more upbeat about that performance of ours. The Dogs are well drilled, big and have that bit of class that stamps them as genuine Premiership contenders.

With 5 to go we were in the match up to our eyeballs and got the rough end of the pineapple from the ref. These things happen. That was the performance of a team that we can say are good enough to finish top 4.

I said a few weeks ago that even though we have beaten both the Dogs and the Dragons that we are off the pace with them a bit and I think that was proven last night - but we are not that for off that we should be hitting the panic button and making mass changes.

Why think about 2010 right now?!?!?!? We are 8 weeks from our 1st finals appearance, we improved 100% from out last lacklustre start and you want to start worrying about next year... I think there is plenty to happen (including having a red hot crack at this years Grand Final) before we start worrying about 2010.

As for Princey I agree that he has been down on form but he was back to his best last night. His long kicks found the turf more often than not, his attacking kicks (2 of which led to tries and 1 in the first half went painfully close) were pinpoint and his passing was crisp. Not to mention that he was willing to attack the line more. He is the victim of high expectations.

Gordon should be in line for Rookie of the year. What a SUPERSTAR!!

Fire up for next week and get behind the boys cos if we played like we did last night we will ice the Broncos and get our top 4 aspirations back on track.

teke
18-07-09, 01:43 PM
I am really surprised that people aren't more upbeat about that performance of ours. The Dogs are well drilled, big and have that bit of class that stamps them as genuine Premiership contenders.

Im prety upbeat about the performance, Im even more excited to see what happens if Titans draw them in the semis. Titans are well in this years flag.

GCT_07
18-07-09, 01:46 PM
Got to agree..... Prince was fired up last night. After the dogs scored i think it was their second try.... he we in there rippin it in. Which is what you would expect from a captain.

As for last night.... The dogs came out on fire. It was a brilliant display of football and certainly at a much higher level than I have seen at club games in ages. To their credit the boys matched it with them in the second half and the fire and spirit they showed after 60 minutes of a d@mn hard game was outstanding.

Last week they played less than ordanary and won. This week they played well and lost. Next week............. next week they better kick some donky ass........... cause I dont want to leave that stadium with a loss agaist the them.....that would be just a tad to much to deal with.....

So hopefully we will be on our game (as in fans) next week as well and cheering them on big time, letting them know we are right behind them.

By the way... finally got to watch at least part of Talking Titans where they were highlighting the eels game.... even up the far end those drums were loud and clear.

amaline
18-07-09, 01:49 PM
Preston's use of the goal post to get out on the in goal area was awesome.

Paul
18-07-09, 03:05 PM
I'm really looking forward to the donkey game this Friday. We've been waiting all season for us to really click in both attack and defence and hammer a team, could this be the night?

Would be amazing to smash the donkeys, embarass them and knock them out of the eigh

Steve
18-07-09, 03:46 PM
Preston's use of the goal post to get out on the in goal area was awesome.

That had me in stitches, so funny.

helcam4
18-07-09, 04:51 PM
the u/20`s just got up 28-16 details on nrl live score site.

TITAN PETE
18-07-09, 05:35 PM
the u/20`s just got up 28-16 details on nrl live score site.

Thats Awesome :fist: ,thanks for the info ;)

DIEHARD
18-07-09, 06:55 PM
Well despite the loss, I am a proud Titan. And we have proved ourselves worthy of the Finals and a massive threat to the Premiership.

We were shocked by the 16 points they piled on us and it looked like they could go on with it. But I was confident the Titans would turn it around and they did. Our defence in the 2nd half was fantastic. I was very proud of that, most of the 2nd half took place in their territory. The Bulldogs defence was amazing as well and we had to think outside the box to score.

We had the opportunities to win the match. That penalty for not rising to our feet to play the ball was heartbreaking and so unfair. So close to the tryline and with 5 tackles up the sleeve and the other one that got away, when Prince dropped it.

I also immediately thought Morris' try was offside and was confident it would be a no try. With the eye and the binoculars, he was clearly offside, not sure how it looked on tele yet.

Idris was a wrecking ball and he is a star of the future, a megastar. He didn't miss a beat while being out of action, his fitness and aggressive was fantastic. Wow, he ripped us apart down the right.

I think we should be proud of the performance, even proud. We could have won if we had a bit of luck. That means we have proven ourselves that we can match it with the very best and the Bulldogs are an amazing football team. We can build on this and know what is and what is not working. And we have Ash only a week away.

I was so worried about Friendy, he is the heart of the Titans and when he went down, I thought we were sunk and our Premiership campaign begun taking water. He seemed to shrug it off after a while and I hope he is ok because he would have played through injury if he had to. Hope you are well Friendy!

I sat with my mate Bulldog Bobby, it was an experience once again. :laugh: He loved the Bulldogs but the Titans certainly kept him quiet in the 2nd half and put the fear of god into him! He'll be down the Coast sometime soon, but supporting the Titans for a change! :)

Next target.... the Brisbane Broncos. And if Lockyer is even a slight chance, he will play. Their Premiership tilt depends on it, they can't be the first Broncos team to miss the Finals since 91. We can't be complacent, they will be out to win against us.

Paul
18-07-09, 06:59 PM
You're right about Friend Brad,he tackled Morris on the sideline who then got up and threw a haymaker at friendy then seconds later he is diving underneath a bulldog as he was about to plant the ball over the tryline,His leg looked in a really awkward position and the look of shock on Prestons face had me worried...thankfully friend got up

Our number 9 is a champ

DIEHARD
18-07-09, 07:00 PM
That had me in stitches, so funny.

Yea! Loved it! The roar of the crowd was massive when he pulled that one our of the hat! Great game as well Preston. He is as brave as they come.

Tough football lesson in `unofficial' first semi-final

MARK July 17, 2009, down as a monumental learning experience in the Titans' history.

Effectively it was a dress rehearsal for the semi-finals which, bar a monumental capitulation, they will play in this year.

You could even have called it the Titans `unofficial first semi'.

When the game kicked-off the Titans came up short, well short.

Week in, week out this year the Gold Coast have conquered demons. They defeated the Dragons for the first time, learnt how to win away from home and are undefeated at Skilled Park.

Have your say on the feedback form below

The club faced a new horizon last night, a higher horizon.

When Brett Delaney was held up over the line midway through the first half the Titans new they needed to reach a new level.

Delaney looked destined to score, he had just Patten to beat.

Ninety-nine times out of 100 he would have scored -- not last night. Patten produced something special as he wrapped Delaney up like an insect caught in a web.

That's semi-final footy. The crowd jumps to 50,109 and a team's performance swells just as much.

The Titans forgot to lift their game, early on.

Some fans will blame the four-day back-up but that was no excuse.

The Bulldogs had to fly back from Auckland on Monday, had three players backing up from Origin and had played three games in 11 days.

The Bulldogs are a semi-finals side, they've been there done that. The Titans haven't.

With minutes left in the first half the Titans had a chance to take the momentum into the break as they hammered the Bulldogs' line.

But front rower Luke Bailey was left with the ball on the last tackle and he put an average bomb up.

The Bulldogs were simply were more experienced at this level.

Rather than dwell on the disappointment the Titans need to draw on last night's performance as a learning experience.

It appears they will. At 16-0 most expected the Titans to get steam-rolled in the second half.

They didn't. In fact they almost won. The Titans controlled the majority of the second half when many teams would have been belted.

Kevin Gordon's individual brilliance to get the score back to 22-12, then a try to Mat Rogers showed the Titans' class.

The Titans failed in their 'unofficial semi-final'. But better now than in September. Like a racehorse first-up from a spell, the Titans will be better for the run.

DIEHARD
18-07-09, 07:11 PM
Our number 9 is a champ

:thumbsup: He is inspirational! For the fans and the players and he is the backbone of our defensive efforts.

Friendy should have his own supporter group.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/legioncard.jpg

Oh yea, he already does! :salute: :salute:

It was great to see the great man visit the Legion after the Parra game, next time I'd love to get him to sign my membership card.

DIEHARD
18-07-09, 07:13 PM
Brave Titans fall short against Bulldogs
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans found a grueling four-day turnaround too difficult to overcome after suffering a 23-16 loss to the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Facing the tough ask of backing up after Monday night?s 18-12 win over Parramatta at Skilled Park, the Titans tried valiantly but were unable to get over the top of the Bulldogs in the battle for outright second spot on the NRL ladder.

Titans halfback Scott Prince and Michael Ennis get up close and personal. Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers scored two second half tries to give the Gold Coasters some hope of a fightback after a sluggish start left his side trailing 16-nil at the halftime break.

Teenage winger Kevin Gordon also produced a brilliant solo effort from a grubber and re-gather to record his seventh try in 14 matches this season.

But a 79th minute field goal from Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley sank the Titans? hopes of a courageous comeback.

Despite the loss, the Titans will keep their spot inside the NRL?s top-four ahead of next Friday night?s blockbuster local derby against the Brisbane Broncos at Skilled Park.

Titans coach John Cartwright said he was proud of his troops? performance under the circumstances after the club agreed to a Monday to Friday turnaround to make a double header with the Broncos-South match possible.

?They?re a tough group of fellas. That was a very tough ask to go from Monday to Friday and I was very proud of their effort,?? said Cartwright.

?We?re just a touch short probably of the top sides at the moment. I thought we created more chances but as I said I think in the end the game was won by them because they snuffed out more chances than we did.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

amaline
18-07-09, 08:16 PM
I hadn't heard of the Dogs 18 Jersey thing they did at half time. I think it's a pretty cool thing they have going, giving out the jersey, retiring the 18 etc.

DIEHARD
18-07-09, 08:43 PM
I hadn't heard of the Dogs 18 Jersey thing they did at half time. I think it's a pretty cool thing they have going, giving out the jersey, retiring the 18 etc.

Great idea indeed Ben. I love the idea of rewarded and recognising great fans, it would be a valuable treasure alone, let alone the amazing experience of being recognised by the Dogs and a famous player in front of a home crowd.

At first I thought the 18 thing was corny, because I've seen it done alot in sport. But their execution and spirit is first class in the delivery.

DIEHARD
18-07-09, 08:47 PM
I would just like to say well done to Utai and Patten for their amazing performances on Friday. :clap:

amaline
18-07-09, 09:28 PM
I would just like to say well done to Utai and Patten for their amazing performances on Friday. :clap:

I agree, I think they both played really well. Shame Utai probably won't get another run for a while with Goodwin back next week.

Paul
18-07-09, 09:36 PM
Pattens tackle on Delaney was amazing

god knows what would have happened in the game if we scored then:cry:

amaline
18-07-09, 09:57 PM

There were quite a few of those moments last night, unfortunately. Things just went against us. Maybe that means we'll meet up with the dogs in the finals and things will go our way. :thumbsup:

kwigibo
18-07-09, 10:36 PM

Delaney should be asking why he couldn't score from there. From the Tweed Heads dressing room.

karnage
18-07-09, 10:52 PM
Delaney should be asking why he couldn't score from there. From the Tweed Heads dressing room.

Good call:D

I just watched a replay of the match and I am even more impressed than I was last night. The Dogs defence was formidable and the way we just hung in there and hung in there is a real credit to the boys.

They better be bloody motivated for Friday after that becuase the Dogs and the Saints are probably the only 2 teams in the comp who could have got the better of us with the way we played last night.

That performance has to be the benchmark for the next 7 weeks and then we have to look to lift again for the finals.

teke
19-07-09, 01:33 AM
I think you can add Manly aswell. They got the better of a full strength Bulldogs side a few weeks ago in what was close to the game of the year. Lets not forget the Manly/Titan debacle a few months back :mad:

Titans played well on Friday night and it wont surprise me one bit to see them click come finals time and put some teams to the sword.

RobJ
19-07-09, 10:28 AM

With a little more field time.......imagine Mead and or Gordon in the centres, now THAT would be something to see........

bigjim
19-07-09, 01:28 PM
Great game. No embarrassement here for the loss. The Titans put in a good effort against a in-form title contender.
We definately had chances to win, you just can't give the Bulldogs a start and try to chase them down. They are to defencively strong.
After watching Friday night football all I can say is, proud to be a Titan supporter and thank God I'm not a Broncos fan.:thumbsup:

Steve
19-07-09, 02:00 PM
A little off topic from the game itself, but while everyone is saying what a success the double header was, I call it a failure.

The crowd for the second game was virtually non existent. All you saw on the tv coverage was empty seats.

The Broncos game was always going to get 30-40k anyhow, so you've sold maybe an additional 10-20k seats which you were always going to fill with Titans fans from the coast and the bunnies/dogs fans who live up here.
if you had a full stadium for both games, maybe then it's a success.

On the game, I think it was a good measure of where we are. Dogs are the form team of the comp and really we weren't that far off winning, but if we can't put them away our finals campaign won't last.
It's good this late in the season, shows us what improvement we need to make!

GCT_07
19-07-09, 02:03 PM
I m not sure from a TV point of view.... but we were hoping that half the crowd would leave when our game started so we could all get to the front row and maybe get a few others in around as well...... but there just wasnt enough who left. I would say as a very rough estimate that probably a couple of thousand left... but really... not that many.

karnage
19-07-09, 02:35 PM
I m not sure from a TV point of view.... but we were hoping that half the crowd would leave when our game started so we could all get to the front row and maybe get a few others in around as well...... but there just wasnt enough who left. I would say as a very rough estimate that probably a couple of thousand left... but really... not that many.

That's exactly right. The Eastern side you can see on TV at ground level is the 'Centreline Club' which is a section of the ground devoted to Suncorp Stadium members who are able to attend anything at the ground. So that section can be empty and the ground will still be a sellout cos those tickets can't be bought.

The turnout in that part of the ground was poor as it was pretty empty all night.

Supergoose
20-07-09, 10:54 PM
I thought we dominated the game for the last 60 minutes and I concur with the sentiments regarding Delaney and Prince earlier. I wish we would throw a pass behind Laffranchi when we get close to the line for once - the other teams are reading us like a Mr Men book. I was impressed with the way the Bulldogs turned half chances into trys. Our right side looked awful early and Cartright will need to address that.

On the double header - I thought it was great. It was a shame to see all those empty seats on the eastern side and I also think that more Broncos fans would've stuck around had their team turned up to play...