PDA

View Full Version : Round 18: Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

DIEHARD
23-06-09, 11:21 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

Mon 13 July 7pm - Skilled Park

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/titansvsparra.jpg

Buy tickets here:
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANIND09&searchId=71d667b0-5bae-433a-9738-f8896b5a6cbb

Titans
1. Preston Campbell, 2. Kevin Gordon, 3. Esikeli Tonga, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Chris Walker, 6. Mat Rogers, 7. Scott Prince, 8. Luke Bailey, 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Michael Henderson, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Brad Meyers.

14. Matthew White, 15. Will Matthews, 16. Daniel Conn, 17. William Zillman, 18. David Mead, 19. Josh Graham. (2 to be omitted).

Parracrappa
1. Luke Burt, 2. Krisnan Inu, 3. Joel Reddy, 4. Ben Smith, 5. Eric Grothe, 6. Daniel Mortimer, 7. Jeff Robson, 8. Nathan Cayless, 9. Matthew Keating, 10. Fuifui Moimoi, 11. Nathan Hindmarsh, 12. Joe Galuvao, 13. Todd Lowrie.

14. Kevin Kingston, 15. Broderick Wright, 17. Tim Mannah, 19. Jeremy Latimore.

Boofhead
07-07-09, 09:35 AM
Team lists TBA...

lonegull
07-07-09, 09:42 AM
carty must have a few headaches with the backs for this clash

Boofhead
07-07-09, 10:04 AM
I'm expecting a similiar team to last week, although Rogers will come back in so there will be a back line reshuffle. Would be good if Carty experiments a little with the backline this game.

I reckon we can clock up a big score against the Parramatta side without Hayne. :thumbsup:

karnage
07-07-09, 10:12 AM
I'm expecting a similiar team to last week, although Rogers will come back in so there will be a back line reshuffle. Would be good if Carty experiments a little with the backline this game.

I reckon we can clock up a big score against the Parramatta side without Hayne. :thumbsup:

I hope your right on all of those accounts.

This is a MUST WIN game.

lonegull
07-07-09, 10:20 AM
Bailey is a chance i have been reading that would be good, mead deseves his chance it will be interesting cant wait for the announcement

curly_11
07-07-09, 10:35 AM
SAME the suspense this week is killing me! I hope we name a near full strength team!

DIEHARD
07-07-09, 02:03 PM
Really looking forward to the team being named... I hope we have some big guns back on board.

I'm glad Hayne isn't playing, that kid is such a freak.

karnage
07-07-09, 03:02 PM
Here's the team. No video this week?? I susually love watching that.

TITANS v EELS
NRL SQUAD
1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Esi Tonga
4 Brett Delaney
5 Chris Walker
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Brad Meyers
Interchange
14 Matt White
15 Will Matthews
16 Daniel Conn
17 William Zillman
18 David Mead
19 Josh Graham

Rogers back!!
Myers at lock!! Big pack
Mini back!! He is my favourite player so you will indulge me a bit there.
Bull back!!

Delaney retains his position. We can't run with only 2 forwards on the bench when two of the starters are returning from injury so Mead looks set to be axed. What has he got to do Carty??

curly_11
07-07-09, 03:02 PM
Senior trio named to return against Eels

Adam Gardini
Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Senior Jetstar Gold Coast Titans trio Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello and Mat Rogers have been named to make their anticipated return for Monday night?s clash against Parramatta at Skilled Park.

In a significant boost for the third-placed Titans, the experienced trio hope to make their returns from injury as the Gold Coasters look to extend their record to eight wins from as many matches at Skilled Park this season.

Titans coach John Cartwright said a final decision on the trio?s availability will not be made until they have had a chance to prove their fitness throughout the week.

Click here to listen to an audio interview with Mark Minichiello

Co-captain Bailey (arm) and five-eighth Rogers (ribs) have not played since the club?s round 13 win over the Dragons while hardworking backrower Mark Minichiello suffered ankle and knee injuries a week earlier in the round 12 win over Manly.

Cartwright has also named an extended six-man interchange bench for the Eels clash which includes young forward Will Matthews, who was a late withdrawal from Sunday?s 34-28 loss to Canberra due to illness.

After a frustrating month on the sidelines, Minichiello said he was eager to get back against the Eels.

?The ankle and the knee are both coming good now. I had my first run with the team today and I?m hoping if I can get through a couple of sessions during the week I might be a chance to play so it?s looking good,?? he said.

?I?m just happy to back out there running with the team and I think I should be right for the game.

?I yell and scream a bit at the tv when I?m not there at the game so I just can?t wait to get back out there, it?s been frustrating just sitting and watching.??

TITANS v EELS
NRL SQUAD
1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Esi Tonga
4 Brett Delaney
5 Chris Walker
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Brad Meyers
Interchange
14 Matt White
15 Will Matthews
16 Daniel Conn
17 William Zillman
18 David Mead
19 Josh Graham
Coach John Cartwright

NYC SQUAD
1 Jamie Dowling
2 Lachlan Creighton
3 Dominique Peyroux
4 Guy Borgas
5 Jy Hitchcox
6 Travis Drought
7 Cody Walker
8 Siosaia Vave
9 Kayne Lawton ?
10 Shaun Spring
11 Kurt Foggo
12 Dominic Walsh
13 Sebastian Davies
Interchange
14 Luke Page
15 Scott McLennan
16 Steve Gillett
17 Ricardo Parata
Coach Steve Murphy

karnage
07-07-09, 03:03 PM
I just really noticed that he has named an extended bench with 19 on that list. There is some water to flow under this bridge yet.

curly_11
07-07-09, 03:04 PM
Good news on Bailey, Rogers and Mino being named. Hope they are all fully fit and ready to play. Didnt really give anything away in the team announcement...hope some how mead gets a run...

karnage
07-07-09, 03:05 PM
Curly and I both posted those teasm at exactly 4:02pm!!! What are the chances of that happening...

DIEHARD
07-07-09, 04:14 PM
This is great news, the real Titans are back on deck. Glad to see Mini back as well, one of my favourites. I hope they will pass as fit. Even if we just get 2 out of 3 back it'll be a big boost. And Ash has been named in the Maroons, so that is 4 players back on the park.

This is looking good. Strong forward pack, I look forward to see how Red goes at lock.

DIEHARD
07-07-09, 04:16 PM
hope some how mead gets a run...

Yea he is amazing. The Titanium Kumul, I really need to make a banner for him because I feel he will be around in the NRL for a long time and also go on to continued rep honours. (Queensland)

karnage
07-07-09, 04:54 PM
Yea he is amazing. The Titanium Kumul, I really need to make a banner for him because I feel he will be around in the NRL for a long time and also go on to continued rep honours. (Queensland)

He and Gordon have one big thing in common Diehard - and that is that NEITHER of them will be representing QLD. They are both Blues unfortunately.

patskE
07-07-09, 05:22 PM
meyers get called into the maroons for myles?
u prob see one of those players coming back drop out i rkn
i dnt see how u move a player to anotehr possie and then put him on the bench only to bring him back next week and same spot. we need mead in the starting side.

Coaster
07-07-09, 05:23 PM
He and Gordon have one big thing in common Diehard - and that is that NEITHER of them will be representing QLD. They are both Blues unfortunately.
they are now;)

But who knows?

Tamwelg
07-07-09, 05:24 PM
i dnt see how u move a player to anotehr possie and then put him on the bench only to bring him back next week and same spot. we need mead in the starting side.

Can someone please translate, I have no idea what he said.

amaline
07-07-09, 05:34 PM

Ok, I think he's talking about Delaney being moved to another position and then put onto the bench before being brought back into the team at centre again this week.

patskE
07-07-09, 05:57 PM
wat i said is mead to wing delaney dropped or bench'd

DIEHARD
07-07-09, 05:58 PM

He is according to what I've read, unless it's in error. Though I know his junior club is listed as Marist Bros Lismore.

Adelaide Titan
07-07-09, 05:58 PM
It may be just the Eels we are playing but this shapes up to be a very impotant game for the Titans. Harrison is on Origin duty so thats a loss for us but we have depth, the Eels cant replace their by far best player in Hayne. A win will almost secure a top 4 place and a loss could potentially derail the Titans top 4 hopes. Considering the game is at home, the mighty Titans should get up and get up easily i believe by 13+ points but the Eels wont go down with an early fight. Rogers and Bailey will be massvie inclusions!

karnage
07-07-09, 06:19 PM
Here is the side the Eels have named. No Hayne (out for Origin) and no Josh Cordoba who has been released to go play in England. The players in bold I have never heard of.

EELS: Luke Burt, Krisnan Inu, Joel Reddy, Domenic Nasso, Ben Smith, Eric Grothe, Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson, Nathan Cayless (capt) Matthew Keating, Fuifui Moimoi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Joe Galuvao, Todd Lowrie, Jason Baitieri. Interchange: Kevin Kingston, Broderick Wright, Tim Mannah, Jeremy Latimore.

With the side we have named, our record at home, our record against this particular club (can somebody confirm that we are undefeated against this side??) and the footy we know that our boys are capable of we should have absolutely no trouble accounting for this lot.

There is NO reason not to feel confident about this Monday. Anything less than a win will be a failure.

DIEHARD
07-07-09, 06:22 PM
Wow I wonder if Jason Baitieri is related to Tas Baitieri...

Adelaide Titan
07-07-09, 06:45 PM
Looks like they have a very depleted squad while the Titans gain some stars. I can't recall the titans having ever lost to Parramatta. I think the crowd may be very excited this weekend!

TITAN PETE
07-07-09, 07:06 PM
He is according to what I've read, unless it's in error. Though I know his junior club is listed as Marist Bros Lismore.

They are both Blue but then again Lismore is further north than Minto & Bowraville :rolleyes:

TITAN PETE
07-07-09, 07:12 PM
Wow I wonder if Jason Baitieri is related to Tas Baitieri...

Yes he is & my mate is a Mad Bulldog fan & is pissed off that he plays for the Eels :ugh: , so i reminded him a another young Eel running around in Mortimer :laugh:

amaline
07-07-09, 07:13 PM
Here is the side the Eels have named. No Hayne (out for Origin) and no Josh Cordoba who has been released to go play in England. The players in bold I have never heard of.

EELS: Luke Burt, Krisnan Inu, Joel Reddy, Domenic Nasso, Ben Smith, Eric Grothe, Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson, Nathan Cayless (capt) Matthew Keating, Fuifui Moimoi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Joe Galuvao, Todd Lowrie, Jason Baitieri. Interchange: Kevin Kingston, Broderick Wright, Tim Mannah, Jeremy Latimore.

With the side we have named, our record at home, our record against this particular club (can somebody confirm that we are undefeated against this side??) and the footy we know that our boys are capable of we should have absolutely no trouble accounting for this lot.

There is NO reason not to feel confident about this Monday. Anything less than a win will be a failure.

I think there was a mistake on the NRL website, Domenic Nasso isn't playing, the centres are Reddy and Smith.

So, Gordon first try scorer with Titans by 13+. :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
07-07-09, 07:16 PM
I think there was a mistake on the NRL website, Domenic Nasso isn't playing, the centres are Reddy and Smith.

So, Gordon first try scorer with Titans by 13+. :thumbsup:

I think Karnage has named the Parra Rugby Union side as he has 15 players on the field :laugh: but maybe they'll need the lot of them :p

karnage
07-07-09, 09:06 PM
I think Karnage has named the Parra Rugby Union side as he has 15 players on the field :laugh: but maybe they'll need the lot of them :p

I have too:doh:

I just copied and pasted that straight from the teams listing on news.com.au so there is something going on at their end!!

karnage
07-07-09, 09:12 PM
Here's the team from NRL.com:
1.BURT
2.INU
3.REDDY
4.SMITH
5.GROTHE
6.MORTIMER
7.ROBSON
8.CAYLESS
9.KEATING
10.MOIMOI
11.HINDMARSH
12.GUALAVAO
13.LOWRITE
KINGSTON
WRIGHT
LATIMORE
MANNAH

I don't know where the names of the other nuffies came from!!

teke
07-07-09, 11:54 PM
Mead played most of his footy for Lismore Rugby Club then had 1 game of League for Marist brothers before getting into a Northern Rivers trial match who was then swooped on by Tweed. But let this be no secret that he is a Queenslander at heart and strong ties with Adrian Lam will see a big push for him into a Maroons Jumper if it ever gets that far.

One thing the Eels have in their favour is that they have a very big backline and if they switch on they can cause trouble. I expect the Titans to do a number on them to be honest.

DIEHARD
08-07-09, 12:02 AM
Mead played most of his footy for Lismore Rugby Club then had 1 game of League for Marist brothers before getting into a Northern Rivers trial match who was then swooped on by Tweed. But let this be no secret that he is a Queenslander at heart and strong ties with Adrian Lam will see a big push for him into a Maroons Jumper if it ever gets that far.

Ah thanks for that teke, I suspected as much, thanks for the depth you offered there. I think we can all agree that he is likely to play Origin.

teke
08-07-09, 01:09 AM
Compared to current rookies and what he has proved at an international level and limited NRL time he is on his way to becoming a great player. Consistency will be the key.

DIEHARD
08-07-09, 03:39 AM
Frustrated Mini ready to roll

HARD-running Gold Coast forward Mark Minichiello is confident of taking on the Parramatta Eels on Monday after spending the past six weeks sidelined with ankle ligament damage.

Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday named Minichiello, co-captain Luke Bailey (arm) and veteran pivot Mat Rogers (ribs) for a Round 18 return in a significant boost for the third-placed Gold Coast side.

Minichiello ran for the first time with the rest of the Titans first grade squad yesterday since limping from the field against the Sea Eagles in Round 11.

"I'm just happy to be back out there running with the team and I think I should be right for the game," said Minichiello.

"I'm hoping if I can get through a couple of sessions during the week I might be a chance to play so it's looking good.

"I just can't wait to get back out there.

"It's been frustrating just sitting and watching them."

After last weekend's disappointing 34-28 loss to the Raiders, the Titans will look to get their premiership campaign back on track against the 13th-placed Eels, who are missing main strike weapon Jarryd Hayne to NSW selection.

"We haven't lost our focus," said Cartwright.

"One loss isn't going to affect that."

The match could turn out to be a major milestone for the club, with a victory seeing them push past 10 wins in a season for the first time in their history.

Cartwright said Minichiello, Bailey and Rogers would all be subject to fitness tests later this week.

"They have got to get a full week's training under their belt," said Cartwright.

"If they get through that they will be available for selection.

"It will be a hard week in that regard, to see who is going to play and who is not."

Cartwright named an extended six-man interchange bench for the Eels clash which includes young forward Will Matthews, who was a late withdrawal from Sunday's loss with the flu.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Steve
08-07-09, 08:57 AM
They are both Blue but then again Lismore is further north than Minto & Bowraville :rolleyes:

That's it, since when has Queensland been concerned about the origins of players when making their selections?

Coaster
08-07-09, 10:12 AM
When you look at a map explain to me why the queensland/nsw border is straight, and then curves up?

You bastards have been stealing parts of queensland, all those towns should be ours anyway.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=australian+map&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=au&ei=mfFTSsihIJ7cswOJruCNCQ&ll=-30.202114,153.017578&spn=11.28802,20.830078&z=6

GCT_89
08-07-09, 10:27 AM
yes coaster, thats right, before you know it we would have taken over the entire Gold Coast........stopping well before hitting logan/beenleigh/ipswich etc....lol

Coaster
08-07-09, 10:35 AM
Definitely a conspiracy if you ask me.

All the way to Evens head south should be Queenland, any footballer found in that area, we will take.

hehe

Rage
08-07-09, 04:01 PM
Titans v Eels
Skilled Park
Monday 7pm

Parramatta?s finals hopes are barely flickering but they will be surely snuffed out if they can?t find a way to beat the Gold Coast Titans for the first time on Monday night.

Considering the Eels have a poor away record (2-5) and the Titans are undefeated at Skilled Park this year (7-0) the chances of an upset seem slim ? but upsets are certainly common during the representative season.

Parramatta are currently stuck down in 13th spot on the NRL ladder and still can?t manage to put together back-to-back wins, something they?ll need to address if they have designs on their season being extended past 26 rounds.

They are five competition points behind eighth position and with most of the teams in and around the finals zone having byes this weekend a win takes on even more significance.

For the Gold Coast the reality of an inaugural finals berth is getting closer. But by no means is it secured.

They know better than anyone how easy it is to freefall down the ladder in the back half of the year and a loss last week to the Raiders wouldn?t have helped their confidence.

They remain in third place, just a win off first but just two wins inside the top eight. Their aim now is to not only make the finals but make the top four to secure a home post-season game.

They must now find a way to return to the winner?s circle without representative forward Ashley Harrison in the side, but several other players are due to return to help their cause.

Mat Rogers returns at five-eighth, which allows Preston Campbell to move back to fullback and William Zillman to the bench. Luke Bailey returns at prop, which moves Brad Meyers back to lock and Daniel Conn to the bench.

Mark Minichiello also returns from injury, sending Josh Graham to the reserves list which includes Will Matthews, while Sam Tagataese and Bodene Thompson both miss out.

The Eels lose Jarryd Hayne to the Blues, which sees Luke Burt move to fullback and Krisnan Inu come onto the wing. The only other changes are to do with starting players, with Fuifui Moimoi due to start in place of Tim Mannah and Joe Galuvao due to start in place of Broderick Wright.

Watch out Titans: Eels rookie Daniel Mortimer is showing signs of the potential many touted from him and his two-try performance against the Panthers was pretty special for a youngster.

He now has three tries and three try assists plus a line-break assist and six line breaks in just five matches. He has shown he is a dangerous running option as well as a gifted playmaker. With more game time comes wiser decision-making skills and the Titans must be prepared for his instinctive play. If they hang off him in defence he will not hesitate to run but if they try to ?double team? him Mortimer is adept at finding his mates in traffic.

Watch out Eels: While goal-line defence will be critical in this clash (see below) the Eels need to be wary of the Titans from all parts of the field, particularly as they come off their own line. The Titans have scored more long-range tries (11) than any other side in the competition thanks to the speed to burn they have out wide.

With opposition teams fancying their chances against the Titans? forwards, invariably their defensive lines compress ? but this tactic is fraught with danger against a cagey Gold Coast line-up who aren?t afraid to spin the ball wide early. The pace of wingers Kevin Gordon and Chris Walker will no doubt be showcased in this match.

Where it will be won: Goal-line defence. After watching last weekend?s matches you could be forgiven for thinking both of these sides are yet to learn how to tackle. That is probably a little harsh but there were certainly occasions in the Eels? loss to Penrith and the Titans? loss to Canberra where the defence was as diluted as the alcohol content in a lemon, lime and bitters.

It is time for the two sides to really show some grunt and muscle up close to their lines. The Titans have shown they are capable; earlier in the season they sported one of the league?s best defences and they are still fifth in terms of points conceded this year, but they need to re-find their steel or face oblivion.

The Eels can?t boast any such form in 2009 ? only three other sides have let more points past them so far this season in a worrying sign for coach Daniel Anderson.

Now, no doubt it is difficult to be switched on defensively for an entire 80 minutes but at the very least teams should be at their best defending their line. Both sides allowed easy push-over tries last weekend which quite frankly isn?t acceptable. The side who pushes up hard off their try lines when their backs are against the wall and who work as a defensive unit will win this contest.

The history: Played 2; Titans 2, Eels 0. The Eels are the only side yet to beat the Gold Coast in their more recent reincarnation as the Titans. The two teams are yet to meet at Skilled Park but the Titans are undefeated at the venue this year with a 7-0 record while the Eels? away record reads a dismal 2-5.

Conclusion: Give me a ?T?, give me an ?I?, give me a ?T?, give me an ?A?, give me an ?N?, give me an ?S?, what does it spell? Victory. Back the home side all the way here.

Match officials: Referees ? Steve Lyons & Matt Cecchin; Sideline Officials ? Daniel Eastwood & Gavin Morris; Video Ref ? Steve Clark.

Source: nrl.com

karnage
08-07-09, 04:16 PM
"It is time for the two sides to really show some grunt and muscle up close to their lines. The Titans have shown they are capable; earlier in the season they sported one of the league?s best defences and they are still fifth in terms of points conceded this year, but they need to re-find their steel or face oblivion."

That sounds like pretty good analysis to me.

DIEHARD
08-07-09, 04:20 PM
Best conclusion ever for an NRL.com review. :thumbsup:

Conclusion: Give me a ‘T’, give me an ‘I’, give me a ‘T’, give me an ‘A’, giveme an ‘N’, give me an ‘S’, what does it spell? Victory. Back the home side all the way here.

bigjim
08-07-09, 05:54 PM
I tipped us to loose last week and we did. With the number of players we had out and playing in Canberra, it was setting up to be another thrashing. But the team , although starting very slow, showed some real backbone and spirit and had their chance to win that game with a little luck.
Don't think the Eels coaching staff didn't take notice of the second half of last weeks game from an understrength Titan team.
The Eels will be worried playing an almost full-strength Titans at home.
If they show the same application as the second half of football against Canberra I think they will win by 18+, easy.:thumbsup:
Looking at the big picture, that loss may be the best thing that could have happened to the team with the semi-finals so close.

Rage
08-07-09, 07:18 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that Titans are the number one team in terms of long distance tries. I remember in the past few years, the Titans were always pretty low in that stat. Gotta love the speed we have this year!

Adelaide Titan
09-07-09, 12:57 AM
lovin the conclusion also!

Isnt Cecchin the referee who won us the game against Manly :D

a home final for us in the first week of the finals is vital and must secure it as we are dominant at home. Could put us a game away from the grand final...

Rage
09-07-09, 04:00 PM
By Wayne Heming AAP Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:17:24

Only four NRL teams in the past 15 years have gone through the regular season unbeaten at home.

Canberra (1994), Manly (1996), Brisbane (2000) and Melbourne (2007) did not drop a game at home.

They all went on to take out the premiership, while the Broncos also won the 1997 Super League grand final after being unbeaten at home during the regular season.

After 17 rounds of the 2009 NRL season only two teams - the Bulldogs and Gold Coast Titans - remain unbeaten at home with seven wins each.

If the Titans can keep their Skilled Park record intact against Parramatta on Monday, they can attempt to end the Bulldogs' streak the following weekend in the second clash on the NRL's double-header card at Suncorp Stadium.

The game, which will be played after Brisbane host South Sydney, will be the Bulldogs' home game.

"I love playing home games," declared Titans co-captain and representative prop Luke Bailey, hoping to gain a specialist clearance to return from a fractured arm against the Eels on Monday night.

"Hopefully we can keep our winning record going, not many teams get the chance to go through the whole year without losing a game at home.

"We're pretty keen on keeping that record intact."

It won't be easy.

After Parramatta, the Titans face the Broncos, Cowboys, Cronulla and West Tigers at home between away games against the Bulldogs, Warriors and South Sydney before a tough last-round clash with defending premiers Manly at Brookvale Oval.

The Titans - averaging the second best crowds in the NRL behind the Broncos - have been good performers at home since entering the premiership in 2007.

They won seven of their 10 games at Carrara Stadium while their purpose-built Skilled Park fortress was being built at Robina.

They welcomed their fans to Skilled Park with seven straight wins but the streak ended with a string of injuries to key players Scott Prince, Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello and a host of support players leading to a late-season collapse.

They didn't win one of their last five home games, fading to finish 13th, six points behind the eighth-placed Warriors.

This year, they've equalled their seven-game winning streak and appear better placed on the injury front to push towards their first finals series.

"I think we're in a more comfortable position than the previous two years," said Bailey.

"We've been able to give a few guys like Mat (Rogers) an extra week to get over some niggling injuries.

"This is a tough time of the year so to have all players on deck injury free and to have not that much involvement in Origin, is a bonus.

"We've broken down at this point the last two seasons but hopefully this year we can aim up better."

Source: www.nrl.com

Very interesting statistics...

Adelaide Titan
09-07-09, 04:28 PM
Hopefully we can be the 5th team do go undefeated at home! And good on the home crowd for being the second largest in the comp!

According to Sportal...Head to head if you include previous Gold Coast teams is 9-8 in favour of the Eels but since the Titans entered they have not beaten us in the past 2 seasons. Their tip is the Titans by 14 :)

DIEHARD
09-07-09, 11:05 PM
Titans wary of slippery Eels
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers says his side must be on red alert for a Parramatta outfit starting to gel as a unit ahead of Monday night?s clash at Skilled Park.

The Titans will be out to protect their unbeaten record at Skilled Park this season against an unpredictable Eels side which has scored impressive wins over Newcastle and Brisbane over the past month but also lost to the Wests Tigers and Penrith.

Rogers, who is eager to make his return from a rib injury against the Eels having spent the past month on the sidelines, said the Titans remained wary of a Parramatta side which he believes are starting to play with more cohesion.

Listen to an audio interview with Mat Rogers (http://titans.sportal.net.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&aid=217)

?They just seem to be playing a little bit more cohesively,?? said Rogers.

Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers. ?They?re playing better as a unit and that?s always a bit of a worry when a team comes together, when they?ve got the talent across the board that they do.

?You look at Nathan Hindmarsh, he?s just a great leader and an inspiration to all of those boys so when he?s playing good football they?re going to be tough to combat.

?I suppose they?re going to be without their star Jarryd Hayne so that?s an advantage but we?ve got a few guys out ourselves so it probably evens itself out.??

Despite missing a month through injury, Rogers said he was hopeful his match fitness was up to scratch heading into the Round 18 clash against the Eels.

?I think the match fitness will probably be down a tad but I did some pretty hard work the other day and got through it pretty well,?? he said.

?The body feels great, I?m feeling really fresh mentally so I?m looking forward to the back end of the year now.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Adelaide Titan
10-07-09, 12:01 AM
Parramatta might start strong but the Titans should be able to run over them as the game goes on.

DIEHARD
10-07-09, 01:36 AM
Not sure if odds have been posted yet...

Gold Coast $1.25
Parramatta $3.75

DIEHARD
10-07-09, 01:40 AM
Milestone a pointer on Titans' road to finals
Luke Turgeon

THE Gold Coast Titans will reach a little known club milestone with victory over Parramatta on Monday at Skilled Park.

For the first time in two years of trying, they have the chance to win more than 10 games in a season.

While on the surface it doesn't seem like much, it is another small yet significant step in the club's quest to reach the finals summit.

But just like any good mountain climber, Titans coach John Cartwright isn't looking at the snowy peak in September. His eyes are focused on his feet, his next step. That next step is disposing of the Eels.

"We have been very good this week, the players have been enthusiastic and keen and we have had a long preparation," said Cartwright.

"We are looking forward to Parramatta. But in the competition at this stage there are no easy games.

"Everyone has got something to fight for. No one is really out of the eight and the sides down the bottom don't want the wooden spoon."

Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers is expected to return from a month-long layoff with a rib injury while second rower Mark Minichiello comes back from six weeks out with ankle ligament damage.

The Gold Coast are sweating on the results of scans on co-captain Luke Bailey's forearm fracture, which will be known today.

Tough young prop Michael Henderson will continue playing with a broken thumb after being told by a specialist this week he does not need surgery. The Titans are undefeated at home this season, with five games remaining at their Robina fortress.

Just four NRL teams in the past 15 years -- Canberra (1994), Manly (1996), Brisbane (2000) and Melbourne (2007) -- have gone through the regular season unbeaten at home.

They all went on to take out the premiership. Heading into Round 18, only the Bulldogs and the Titans are yet to drop a match on home turf.

If the Titans beat the Eels, it sets up a mouth-watering clash with the Bulldogs next Friday at Suncorp Stadium. The game, which will be played after the Broncos host Souths in the first NRL double header to be held in Brisbane, is actually a Dogs' home game.

Full marks for Luke for calling it the Fortress. I love it.

DIEHARD
10-07-09, 01:54 AM
Gold Coast v Parramatta
Monday, Skilled Park, 7pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/titansvsparra.jpg

Referees: Steve Lyons, Matt Cecchin
Head to head: Titans 2, Eels 0
Last clash: Titans 28 bt Eels 20 at Parramatta Stadium (Rd 5, 2009)
TAB Sportsbet: Titans $1.25, Eels $3.75
FootyTAB: Eels +10.5 points

The Titans have done well recently to mostly keep winning despite having some key players out because of injury. They finally succumbed against the Raiders on the road last weekend, but before that they won four in a row. Ashley Harrison is missing for this game, because of State of Origin duty, and Aaron Cannings and Luke O'Dwyer are still out injured, but they get Mat Rogers, Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello back from injury, and Will Matthews returns after a virus forced him out against the Raiders. So that is a significantly stronger-looking Titans side, and they are playing at home, where they have won seven out of seven this season.

The Eels have lost the player who is easily their most dangerous in attack - Jarryd Hayne - to Origin, and are still without long-term injured playmakers Feleti Mateo and Kris Keating. The Eels are a classic up-and-down side, and in their last eight games they have gone win-loss-draw-loss-win-loss-win-loss. If they remain consistent, they will win this game, but that is obviously a lot harder said than done against the Titans at Skilled. The Eels will be no chance of making the finals if they remain this inconsistent. They are five points outside of the top eight and need to string wins together if they are to make it. But they have won only two out of seven away games this season, and weren't able to take advantage of a severely-weakened Panthers side at Penrith last weekend.

The Titans are the shortest-priced favourites of the weekend, and for good reason. It would be quite a shock if they lost this one at home.

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

karnage
10-07-09, 07:52 AM
"The Titans are the shortest-priced favourites of the weekend, and for good reason. It would be quite a shock if they lost this one at home."

Does it mean I am overly pessimistic if lines like that worry the hell out of me??

teke
10-07-09, 11:14 PM
Presto is in doubtfor this match so there will be some reshuffling

Adelaide Titan
10-07-09, 11:34 PM
Zillman into fullback...cant hurt us too much.

DIEHARD
10-07-09, 11:44 PM
A couple more previews...

GOLD COAST TITANS v PARRAMATTA EELS
Monday 13th July, 7.00pm Skilled Park

Referees: Steve Lyons, Matt Cecchin

HEAD TO HEAD
Titans 2 wins, Eels 0 wins

FORM GUIDE
Titans: WLWWWWLWLLWBWWBWL
Eels: LWWLLLLWBLDLWLBWL

The Eels can kiss any chance of making the finals goodbye if they don?t win here.

Parramatta are sitting in 13th position, five competition points outside the top eight, and have a huge task ahead of themselves against the third-placed Titans on the Gold Coast.

Making matters worse for the visitors is the absence of NSW star Jarryd Hayne, who has been a big part of Parramatta?s mini-revival midway through the season.

The Titans are missing Maroons back-rower Ashley Harrison and still have injury concerns over Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello and Mat Rogers, but boast a perfect home record in 2009.

They have a great chance to leapfrog the Bulldogs this week and boost their chances of a top-four finish here.

KEY MATCH UP
Anthony Laffranchi v Nathan Hindmarsh
These are two of the best back-rowers not involved in State of Origin next week.

Both are hard-working 80-minute players, with Laffranchi blessed with a damaging running game and Hindmarsh possessing possibly the biggest heart in rugby league.

Laffranchi was at his best in a losing side last week, making 22 hit-ups including two line-breaks against the Raiders, combined with 40 tackles in an 80-minute performance.

Hindmarsh may have lost some of the impact of his younger days ? it?s the only reason NSW selectors keep leaving him out of their squads ? but he just doesn?t stop, regularly topping 50 tackles a game and seemingly always there when a loose ball needs to be dived on or a tackle needs to be made.

PUNTERS GUIDE
Head to head: Titans $1.28; Eels $3.50
Parramatta have shown some class this season but they play their best football in the day. And with nobody but the Titans winning at Skilled park this year, it?s hard to see the Eels coming up with the points on Monday night ? especially without their key man Hayne.

Titans by 14.

CASUALTY WARD
Titans: Aaron Cannings ? hamstring (Rnd 20), Luke O?Dwyer ? ankle (indefinite)
Eels: Feleti Mateo ? bicep (indefinite), Kris Keating ? jaw (Rnd 21), Weller Hauraki ? shoulder (season)

Source: http://www.rugbyleaguelive.com.au/

Preview: Titans v Eels

VENUE & TIME: Skilled Park ? Monday, July 13, 7.05pm (AEST).
HEAD TO HEAD: Played 17 ? Eels 9, Titans 8.
LAST TIME: Round 5, 2008 ? Titans 28-20.

WALKING WOUNDED: The cavalry returns for the Gold Coast in the nick of time. Experienced campaigners Luke Bailey, Mat Rogers and Mark Minichiello are all due back from injury. The Eels go in without the brilliant Jarryd Hayne. We can't over-estimate how damaging that is to their cause. At least they get Krisnan Inu back. Whether he's interested in playing is another matter altogether.

FORM: Parramatta's planned winning streak started and ended at one. After his team beat Brisbane in Round 16, coach Daniel Anderson challenged his team to build on that and make it two wins in a row to get their season going in the right direction. They traded try for try with Penrith but lost under the 'last scorers' win' rule despite posting 34 points. It was the 38 they let in that was the problem. The Titans turned it on late against Canberra but ran out of time. They lost by six but were poor for the majority of the match. They need to get back on track immediately or the finals wobbles could strike again.

WHO'S HOT: Geez, they sure can find a winger with speed on the Gold Coast. Where do they find them? At Schoolies' Week? Kevin Gordon is in the 'blink and you're gone category', while David Mead (part of an extended bench this week) is another. As Gus Gould always says (and says again) speed is the one commodity you can never have too much of in a rugby league team. Nathan Hindmarsh scored a try against Penrith, made 435 tackles, hit the ball up 127 times and made 289m in attack. Then they got him to wash the jumpers and drive the team bus home. Fair dinkum, is there anything this bloke doesn't do for the Eels? Ray Price rightly had a statue struck for him at Parra Stadium. They should start working on Hindy's now.

WE THINK: Parramatta hardly win away from home and the Titans have not tasted defeat on the Gold Coast this year. It's hard - very hard- to see that trend ending here. Apart from being on the road, nothing else is in the Eels' favour either. They lose their best player in Hayne while Gold Coast gets three of its finest back. Desperation may be the visitors' best friend as a loss here will kill off any faint hope they had of sneaking into the finals. Gold Coast by 14

Source: Sportal

Adelaide Titan
11-07-09, 01:08 AM
that second preview is what i was referring to a few posts bacl, see how it says head to head is 9-8 when the Titans themselves havnt played that many times. Don't you love how the describe our pace :D couldnt agree more!

DIEHARD
11-07-09, 02:56 AM
Titans' stats top the Blues' pack

NSW will be relying on their forward pack to prevent the first Queensland Origin clean sweep since 1995 at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night.

But statistics obtained by the Weekend Bulletin prove they wouldn't even lead the Blues to victory over the Titans at Skilled Park on Monday night.

Three of the Titans' five starting forwards for Monday night's home clash with Eels have better figures in key performance areas than their opposite numbers in the best pack NSW can produce.

The figures came on the same day the Titans re-signed forwards Aaron Cannings and Matt White, locking in the entire pack for next season.

The Bulletin can reveal the Titans are set to announce the long-term signing of Queensland Origin star Ashley Harrison in the coming weeks.

The figures put paid to the constant criticism the Titans' pack receives.

Titans managing director Michael Searle declared he would back his big men to match it with any pack in the game.

"I don't know why, I don't get it but every time you turn around there is someone bagging them," he said.

"I think they get criticised a lot for what is perceived to be our lack of toughness but we couldn't be happier with them."

Searle revealed the long term stability of the pack and the strong statistics were a part of a united front the Titans pack have taken.

"I think the boys are starting to hunt like a pack in defence and attack," said Searle.

"All the criticism of our pack -- it just fires them up.

"I've got absolute faith in our forward pack matching it with anyone they come up against."

White, 25, and Cannings, 27, join Queensland's Harrison, forgotten rep trio Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello, as well as Brad Meyers, Michael Henderson and Will Matthews in staying at the club next season.

Both White and Cannings could have attracted more money at other clubs but elected to remain on the Gold Coast.

The news was a big relief for White, who moved his family to the Coast, from Newcastle, on a one-year deal then suffered a lengthy suspension at the beginning of the year.

"It's good to get that out of the road so I can just concentrate on playing some good footy for the rest of the season," said White.

Bailey was last night given the all clear to take on the Eels.

Bailey missed yesterday's training session to get scans on a broken arm which came back clear.

Preston Campbell also missed yesterday's session with the flu but is expected to train with the side tomorrow.

Mat Rogers and Minichiello trained strongly and will take their place on Monday night.

DIEHARD
11-07-09, 05:32 PM
I hope Presto is ok to play, I know a virus would be a nasty and debilitating thing to play with.

I am looking forward to a home match after last week's match at Canberra Stadium. We really need to lift our game as a crowd, there was onlu about 9k there but they made alot of noise and really rode on the Titans trying to encourage penalties for offside and going high. It's something we need to add to our ****nal and make Skilled Park even more unpleasant.

Rage
12-07-09, 11:46 AM
AAP Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:21:18

Fullback Preston Campbell is battling the flu and has failed to train with the main group on Sunday, barely 24 hours ahead of the Gold Coast Titans' NRL clash with Parramatta.

The veteran will be given until the last minute to prove his fitness for the Skilled Park showdown.

The third-placed Titans (10-5) are just one win away from top spot and will be hoping to keep their winning (7-0) home record for the season against the out of sorts Eels (13th; 5-9).

Parramatta have never beaten the Titans.

Source: www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
12-07-09, 05:51 PM
Titans shoot for eight straight at home
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans co-captain Scott Prince says his side cannot afford to rest on their unbeaten home record in tomorrow night?s clash against Parramatta at Skilled Park.

The third-placed Titans are shooting for eight straight wins at home for 2009 and have been installed as favourites for the clash against the 13th-placed Eels.

However, Prince said the Titans could not just expect things to turn around for them in their return to home turf after last weekend?s 34-28 loss to the Raiders in Canberra.

Click here to listen to audio interviews with Prince (http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&aid=219)and Titans coach John Cartwright (http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&aid=22)

?We?ve got a good record at home but that means nothing,?? said Prince.

?We have to go out there and stick to our game plan and hopefully get the two points.

?The record doesn?t really mean much, it?s tomorrow night and the 80 minutes that likes ahead.

?We have to go out there and complete our teams goals and personal goals and see where that leaves us at the end of the day.??

The Titans will be boosted by the return of senior trio Luke Bailey, Mat Rogers and Mark Minichiello for the clash and Prince said that the experiences campaigners were ?jumping out of their skin? ahead of the match.

?It?s a good feel at the moment, a few of the guys have been on a contiki tour so it?s good to have Rat (Rogers), Bails and Mini back,?? he joked.

?They?re jumping out of their skin so the break has been good for them.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au/

Adelaide Titan
12-07-09, 10:21 PM
I cant wait for the game :D I'll DEFINATELY be sitting in front of the TV cheering them on all the way from SA :thumbsup:

Im very confident for a win, as long as the boys play their game and dont do some silly things, which im sure they wont ;)

GO YOU TITANS!!!!

teke
12-07-09, 10:24 PM
I cant wait for this friday nights match against the doggies.

I want the Titans to steam roll them while causing some big injuries. Im starting to get a 2003 Panthers/2005 Tigers type of feeling to this Titans team.

DIEHARD
13-07-09, 02:24 AM
Prince winds up for a KO punch

LAST week Scott Prince gave himself an uppercut. Tonight at Skilled Park he is determined to KO the Eels.

The inspirational Gold Coast skipper took the extraordinary step of blasting his own performance following last Sunday's flop in the nation's capital.

Prince called his part in the 34-28 loss against the Raiders `dreadful' and has spent the week stewing over a missed chance to break the club's Canberra hoodoo.

It should serve as worrying news for Parramatta, attempting to be the first side to beat the Titans at their Robina fortress this season.

Especially worried should be young half Daniel Mortimer.

Prince has been keeping a close eye on the Eels rookie for the past few rounds and is not about to be shown up two weeks straight.

"He is playing confidently," said Prince. "Especially the last two weeks. He is one of those guys that plays off instinct.

"When a young kid is confident they are dangerous."

Used to being the centre of the Titans universe during the club's first two seasons, Prince has taken on a slightly different role this year.

With Preston Campbell and Nathan Friend taking on more playmaking responsibility in an attempt to alleviate pressure on the clever halfback and add more dimensions to their attack, Prince has had to adjust.

The dominance Prince enjoyed in 2007 and 2008 has largely been diluted by his own side. But with the Titans sitting third on the NRL ladder and just three wins from qualifying for their maiden finals series, Prince can see the merit in the club's new approach.

"I feel like after the games that I haven't done enough," he said.

"But we always get the win in those games.

"Carty and the coaching staff really worked hard in the pre-season to give everyone across the park the responsibility, if they see something, to play what they see.

"I think it has been working for us. "We have now got a number of guys that will take the ball and have a go.

"I guess it would be hard for a defensive team now to pick who is going to get the ball at certain times.

"Instead of looking towards me to do something now, we have got Preston and even Nathan Friend doing a lot more stuff with the ball.

"It helps with Nathan playing well. When he is running it gets the markers thinking.

"They have to watch him now so it obviously helps."

If the Titans beat the Eels, it will be the first time they have won more than 10 games in a season.

It will also equal the winning record of the most successful Gold Coast side, the Chargers, who qualified for the 1997 finals series after finishing the season with 11 wins.

With the finals fast approaching, the Titans are aware they must start stamping themselves as a team to be feared and would love to start racking up some big scores.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
13-07-09, 02:28 AM
Zillman ready to fill spot if Campbell fails test

TITANS attacking weapon William Zillman is poised to start at fullback against Parramatta at Skilled Park tonight, with veteran No.1 Preston Campbell in doubt.

Sick with the flu, Campbell failed to train yesterday and is considered a 50-50 chance to take the field as the Titans look to rebound following last week's disappointing loss to Canberra.

With the Titans having to back up against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, medical staff will take the short turnaround into account when deciding today if Campbell should play.

"(The Bulldogs game) definitely comes into play," said Titans coach John Cartwright. "First things first, we definitely want to win against Parramatta and if he is 100 per cent fit, we will play him.

"If he is not we would be silly to put him out there and expect him to back up against the Dogs."

If Campbell is out, Zillman will slot straight into fullback, with impressive young winger David Mead coming on to the interchange bench.

Mead has been a revelation for the Titans since making his debut in Round 13 against the Dragons, scoring four tries in three games.

The emergence of Mead has played a part in the club's decision not to increase its offer for off-contract winger Chris Walker.

Contract negotiations between Walker and the Titans are now finished.

The former Queensland representative will move on from the Gold Coast next year, most likely to the Celtic Crusaders in the UK, where it is understood he has been offered a deal worth nearly $300,000 a season.

Cartwright said Walker's decision would not impact on his short-term playing future.

"You have to be professional about it," he said.

"Chris has been fantastic for us all year and it would have been nice if we could have kept him.

"But he has decided to move on. The side will be picked on form."

The possible loss of Campbell sours the return of star trio Mark Minichiello (ankle), Mat Rogers (ribs) and Luke Bailey (arm) from lengthy layoffs with injury.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Rage
13-07-09, 03:07 PM
So whenever MEad is put on the bench, does that mean Walker will slot into centre with Mead going to wing?

patskE
13-07-09, 04:45 PM
just read on the coruoir mail that campbell out, zillman fullback n mead to bench

Campbell struck out by flu

Luke Turgeon

July 13th, 2009

GOLD Coast Titans fullback Preston Campbell has been ruled out of tonight's match against the Paramatta Eels at Skilled Park due to the flu.

Campbell was given every opportunity to prove his fitness before medical staff decided he was not well enough to play.

Campbell is expected to be right to take on the Bulldogs on Friday at Suncorp Stadium.

William Zillman will start in place of Campbell against the Eels, with rising star David Mead coming onto the interchange bench.

Tonight's game kicks off at 7pm.

karnage
13-07-09, 08:55 PM
We won and got over the 10 win hoodoo but it was not an enjoyable night at the footy.

For the last 65mins of that match we were woeful and when the game was there to be won at 14 - 12 Parramatta had contral of the ruck and seemed to have loads more enthusiasm for the contest.

Won't say anything about Rogers' kick:doh:

Class got us home in the end, something that Parramatta have VERY little of.

All I can hope is that guys returning from injury like Bull and Rogers will be better for the run and show a bit more next week.

Mini did not look great at the end there with a big ice-pack strapped to his knee either although he was one of our best early on.

If good teams can bring out the best in you then I suppose that a bad team can bring out the worst. I was feeling much more down about that win tonight (says a lot about my expectations of the team this year...) until I saw the table. We are up there and the boysw should have no worries getting 'up' for the Dogs.

karnage
13-07-09, 09:02 PM
The stats show how bad we were:

We made 113 hit ups for 944m (7.1 m/run) to Parra's 89 for 733 (8.3 m/run).

We allowed them to make a staggering 21 offloads to our 7.

Conceded 5 penalties to 2 (I actually thought the ref's had a good game tonight which is rare...)

Missed 36 tackles to Parra's 23.

Only made 3 linebreaks to Parra's 6.

Geez we were lucky to win this one. It really was just that bit of class that got us home...

amaline
13-07-09, 09:08 PM
I had Bailey to score first and Titans to win by 13+. It would have gotten my just over $500. It was looking pretty good for a little bit there.

karnage
13-07-09, 09:22 PM
I had Bailey to score first and Titans to win by 13+. It would have gotten my just over $500. It was looking pretty good for a little bit there.

So was the team. I was thinking 80-0 when we were up by 14 after 14.

Paul
13-07-09, 09:23 PM
Crap performance
crap visiting team
crap crowd
crap refereeing
crap being made to go to a football game on a monday night
crap train trip home

we got the 2 points though,thats all that matters so a job done and lets move onto Friday

Goodnight

patskE
13-07-09, 09:24 PM
i been thinking this for a while
but anyone else rkn zillman isnt as quick as he was/ppl made him out to be?
when i think of luke burt, speed dont really come into it
and i noticed when he has made breaks he always get's chased down.

kwigibo
13-07-09, 09:32 PM
I got a photo of Eric Grothe after the game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/kwigibo/DSC00385.jpg

Paul
13-07-09, 09:33 PM

Luke Burt has always been really fast,I was surprised though that he caught Zillman so easily

kwigibo
13-07-09, 09:33 PM
i been thinking this for a while
but anyone else rkn zillman isnt as quick as he was/ppl made him out to be?
and i noticed when he has made breaks he always get's chased down.

Two knee reco's will sap it a bit. Just hope Flash and Mead keep their legs in one piece.

Paul
13-07-09, 09:34 PM
Mr Kwigibo,what did you say to the ref which made him react really strongly and do the drinking sign?

kwigibo
13-07-09, 09:47 PM
Mr Kwigibo,what did you say to the ref which made him react really strongly and do the drinking sign?

I didn't actually get him to react, I think it was someone behind me, I just had a go at him for doing the drinking sign. He was clearly the one seeing double, he let defenders stand metres directly in front of him play after play.

Adelaide Titan
13-07-09, 10:01 PM
Geez we got lucky, i thought the Eels were gonna steal the game, we were lucky they made more mistakes than we did when it mattered towards the end. Rogers was terrible for most of the game, very few played well. His kick was beautiful...if your a Parra fan! I thought the boys were gonna cruise to a big win but they took the foot off the gas after 15 mins and nearly gave it up. Inu's kicks to convert made me laugh i must say. If Hayne played the result may not have been a win for the Titans. The Dogs and Dragons would make a meal of the Titans if we played them tonite. Improvement is needed if we are to remain in the top 4 and push for the premiership. But on the bright side, if this was the Titans at their worst...they are amazing at their best! Playing this friday may have been a mental factor as well but nonetheless a wins a win and we got the two points!

Paul
13-07-09, 10:07 PM
Two knee reco's will sap it a bit. Just hope Flash and Mead keep their legs in one piece.

I thought Mead was going to stop that try,He just ended up going in a bit too high.Shame really as he did a brilliant job of chasing him down

Adelaide Titan
13-07-09, 10:26 PM
yeah that was a great run, he should have played the ball though, not the man, would have been try of the year!

Coaster
13-07-09, 10:32 PM

That was me actually, i was giving him a spray for not giving us a penalty, and i maybe should have shut my mouth, cause he hammered us after that.

GCT_07
14-07-09, 12:59 AM
Well Well Well....... First 15 minutes I thought.... thank god we are finally going to have a kick @rse game instead of some close one full of fumbles and well lets just say stuff......14 Nil... cheering cheering cheering...... Well... that was the first 15 minutes.... now... the remaining 65......HMMMMMMMMMMM

Now I rarely say anything when its not a good game.... I know they go out there to do their best... but some nights it doesnt come off and tonight was definately one of those nights. I think tonight, even though they won, they will be going into the sheds and wont be to pleased with themselves. Matty came over after the game, had just a quick word as he was doing the lap..... they know....... and its not something they are happy with.

I really do think though...... when they get in that little hole during a game.... its upto us to do what we can to pull them out of it..... yes its up to them... but I reacon we should do everything we can as well...... towards the end we kicked in with some full on cheering.... and thats when the final try came..... it lifts them and gives them that little bit of energy they didnt think they had left in them...........

On a positive note... it was great to see SOME of them come over after the game..... lately it seems that they do the lap... get to the 'back straight' and hang near the posts for the shortest trip to the sheds..... and princy.... I cant even remember when the last time he came over to the legion to say hello...... we all hang around until the end.... until the last one has left the field...... to me its a sign of respect for what they have just done (certainly not a groupie type thing) .... and if I have one compaint its that the captain doesnt return that respect.

Oh well... thats my 2cents worth..... d@mn... that last one was meant to be positive... hmmmmm ok... well on a positive... maybe Princy will put a little effort in next time.....:thumbsup:

Quick Edit...... I thought the drums were much better that way...... ok.. so a little out of time occasionally.. but hey.... for a first go... pretty d@mn good..... I also think that with so few people there tonight they helped to keep the noise going. I did get the other drums as well but 2 had holes in them... need to get them fixed.... but all in all.... for a first night with the drums like that... pretty good.....

Quick thought..... having done the drums myself..... maybe we could play swapsies at half time or something.... your arm can get d@mn sore... so maybe one group for first half then swap over...... that could also keep the chants going instead of dying cause our arms are killing us. We have 2 weeks till the next home game..... lets see what we can come up with.

curly_11
14-07-09, 07:04 AM
First of all that was one of the worst performances all season. Very disjointed! I dont think you can blame it on certain players i think the team as a whole lacked intensity after the first 15 minutes.

To adelaide titan, i agree it wasnt Rogers best game especially in attack but im pretty sure he was amazing in defence and saved at least 2 tries and was making some really good tackles.

I think with the star players returning the team struggled because they havent played with each other for a few weeks to a month. With the short turn around i think we really need to concerntrate on 2 things.

1. Wrapping up the ball carrier in order to shut down their offloads. I think the eels had 24 and we had 9. That is terrible for our defensive stats and not good for out attack either! :helpme:

2. Need to work on combinations in attack and especially on the 4th and 5th tackle options. So many times last night we tried the little kick in goal in stead of trying to run it put it through hands when the option was there or even try the bomb. We bombed it once only for burt to cough it up yet we didnt test him out again. :doh:

Also is it just me or is the kicking game a little of at the moment as well? Seems to me that nearly all of our clearance kicks go straight down the middle and they make an easy 20 metres by catching it on the full. Why not try more for the corners or possibly even try 40/20's.:ugh:

Not very happy with the performance last night. But we got the win and its an ugly win with a very lost team out there. Hoping all the boys pull up well and are ready to smash some doggies who will have a few sore bodies from origin!

COME ON TITANS :fist:

shamus
14-07-09, 08:48 AM
On a positive note... it was great to see SOME of them come over after the game..... lately it seems that they do the lap... get to the 'back straight' and hang near the posts for the shortest trip to the sheds..... and princy.... I cant even remember when the last time he came over to the legion to say hello...... we all hang around until the end.... until the last one has left the field...... to me its a sign of respect for what they have just done (certainly not a groupie type thing) .... and if I have one compaint its that the captain doesnt return that respect.

I also stay after the game and wait until they do a lap of honour. Princey doesn't stop in front of Bay 20 to say hello to me......... :p

......what does annoy me though is the kids that have their 'moment' at half time and then go and wait for the Titans to run out expecting to get to see them close up or even get to touch a hand or two as the Titans run past. NONE of the Titans ran past the kids last night. It wouldn't be the case I'm sure but it almost seemed intentional........In the past at least a few of the guys have run past the kids but not a one last night....I would reckin' there would have been a few disappointed kids (and parents) last night.

Whilst talking about the kids, did you see the number 1 for Mudgee? His headgear was bigger then him.. What a crackup.....he made a bust though and no one caught him. Someone did forget to tell him where the sideline was but what's a few metres between friends. :laugh: Highlight of the night for me...'cause the big boys footie wasn't.

jimbeam06
14-07-09, 09:20 AM
All i can say guys is that to many more games like that and we will be lucky to see finals. But in saying that great work to hold on.

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 09:30 AM
Well Done to Parra they can consider themselves unlucky, Moi Moi Grothe & Smith were outstanding.

I'm another that thought we were going to put a huge score on the board after leading 14-0 but we were very lucky to grab the 2 points :(

Matt Rogers probably had his worst game for the Titans but he did pull down Moi Moi one on one when he looked like he would score in the 2nd half ..., Mead & Gordon were both found out when they came in instead of staying on their respective wingers , experience will sort that out but hopefully sooner than later.

It also looked like Friendy had a change with his game as he was 1st receiver on a couple of occasions which was probably due to Presto being out , & agree with others that a few of the boys looked well short of a run & the Bull looked as if he hurt his arm again in the 1st half but still put in 100% .

Hopefully Harrison will get through SOO as he is missed around the middle of the park & the boys will need to "Improve Massively" to beat the Dogs on Friday Night!!!

GCT_07
14-07-09, 10:07 AM
I also stay after the game and wait until they do a lap of honour. Princey doesn't stop in front of Bay 20 to say hello to me......... :p

Well maybe he should start.... whats your seat number.... I ll send him a text :laugh:

karnage
14-07-09, 12:39 PM

......what does annoy me though is the kids that have their 'moment' at half time and then go and wait for the Titans to run out expecting to get to see them close up or even get to touch a hand or two as the Titans run past. NONE of the Titans ran past the kids last night. It wouldn't be the case I'm sure but it almost seemed intentional........In the past at least a few of the guys have run past the kids but not a one last night....I would reckin' there would have been a few disappointed kids (and parents) last night.

Whilst talking about the kids, did you see the number 1 for Mudgee? His headgear was bigger then him.. What a crackup.....he made a bust though and no one caught him. Someone did forget to tell him where the sideline was but what's a few metres between friends. :laugh: Highlight of the night for me...'cause the big boys footie wasn't.

I sit directly opposite the Titans tunnel and we all noticed that snub as well. Team management should have been there and instructed them to run through the kids cos that sort of thrill they get from that stays with them for a long time. Even if it was not intentional it was poor form.

I was seriously down on the whole performance last night.

Apparently Mini will be OK which is great becuase he adds plenty in the middle and along with Harro they can make a huge difference.

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 02:30 PM
I just had a look at the stats & when you look at the teams total tackles of 302
there are a couple of standouts

Nathan Friend 48
Brad Meyers 42
Matt White 27 ..not bad from a bench player for 40 minutes game time :fist:

Also it's a bit strange that Mathews only played 10 minutes for 1 run & 1 tackle & when he left the field he didn't look injured which makes you think Carty didn't have the confidence for Will to be on the park :nope:

Steve
14-07-09, 03:57 PM
Crap performance
crap visiting team
crap crowd
crap refereeing
crap being made to go to a football game on a monday night
crap train trip home

we got the 2 points though,thats all that matters so a job done and lets move onto Friday

Goodnight

They were saying on the radio it was a crap game, and you can blame the crowd on the monday night, it's why I wasn't there, although I couldn't have made it on any other day either to be honest.

Just happy to have the 2 points!

Ryan
14-07-09, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna break the trend here and stick with the positives.

I was pretty happy to see the big boys get rough towards the end of the game. White and Mini inparticular. Shortly after Mini blew up at the ref, he came in and absolutely drilled Luke Burt on a kick return.
I think it was him and Esi who took him down but Mini came in 100mph and creamed him. Luke Burt was flat out getting up and struggled to walk away from that - I'm sure he was reconsidering his career options.
About 1 or 2 plays later, Christian Inu was layed out - couldn't get up either.

Brad Meyers must have played about 80mins, cause it seemed like he was in every set of six, in attack and defence. Knocks to head, blood dripping off his face - he just kept smashing into them.

So a big shout out to our forward pack, there were big hits across the field. One thing statistics won't is whats left of the oppositions ribs, and I wreckon we won that one....

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 05:04 PM
Titans Post match press conference

Tune in and watch as the coaches and Captains from both teams dissect their team?s performances following last nights round 18 NRL clash at Skilled Park.

The 18 points to 12 result was the Titans 8th consecutive win at Skilled Park, while the loss all but closed the door on the Eels slim finals hopes.

To watch the press conferences please click on the link below.

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans/192661

daveyk
14-07-09, 05:06 PM
Titans Post match press conference

Tune in and watch as the coaches and Captains from both teams dissect their team?s performances following last nights round 18 NRL clash at Skilled Park.

The 18 points to 12 result was the Titans 8th consecutive win at Skilled Park, while the loss all but closed the door on the Eels slim finals hopes.

To watch the press conferences please click on the link below.

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans/192661

edited for correctness..... :p

Paul
14-07-09, 05:11 PM
lol,I noticed that in the email this afternoon too Davey unless they gave us an afl-type pity point for the field goal attempt that missed by a mile:D

Coaster
14-07-09, 05:19 PM
I am with Ryan on this, although i wanted a 40 point win, in the end we got what we needed.

A good hitout for Rogers and Bails and mino, no injuries, and a solid workman performance.

Combination's need work, but after the initial shock of letting Parra back into the game, i was happy with the way the boys ground out a victory, with no help from the ref at all (2 penalties all game, one for a late shot, none for slowing play).

Lets not forget how bad they held us down all night, they effectively slowed the game to there speed, and we still won.

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 05:35 PM
Wouldn't want to be you: Parramatta centre Krisnan Inu must have been shaking in his boots following a goal-kicking performance against the Titans that was nothing short of woeful. Eels coach Daniel Anderson looked set to punch a hole through the Eels' coaching box when Inu inexplicably missed a shot from almost in front during the first half.

Anderson didn't miss his star centre in the post-match press conference either when he suggested Inu had cracked under the pressure. One can only guess what was said between the pair behind closed doors. Safe to say Luke Burt will have the kicking boots back on next weekend.

:laugh:

I agree with Coaster and Ryan, it was a long way from perfect but we still got the job done. Defended the home ground and got the 2 points. We welcomed back three of our troops. And let's not forget the good Rogers did out there as well. Disappointing we couldn't convert the 1st half possession to points.

We got no love from the ref! And I counted at least 3 high shots on Zillman which went punished. At least that's how it looked from where I was. They obviously tried to rough him up. Friend and Meyers we great for us and Bailey had a good return. I can't wait to have Ash back on Friday though.

I was so delighted with the 11th win, it really meant alot to me. Now time to build on it cause it is only round 18-19! Also 8 wins at home undefeated is something to be incredibly proud of!

Also great to catch up with Greg/GCDownie and Ben/Amaline! Let's make a habbit of it! :thumbsup:

amaline
14-07-09, 06:02 PM
Let's make a habbit of it! :thumbsup:

I'll definitely have to stop by more often. The atmosphere is so much better in the Legion. It gets frustrating being surrounded by away supporters, as well as being so close to the away section. It was good to meet you guys.

titanstattman
14-07-09, 06:02 PM
He prob kick that bad he prob thru the game wonder how much he got for the game......

kwigibo
14-07-09, 06:25 PM
Lets not forget how bad they held us down all night, they effectively slowed the game to there speed, and we still won.

And if they kept a proper ten for even half the game I'd be shocked.

Also, you're more patient than me going on the leagueunlimited forum. Prince did not do a Soward last night. Soward pretended to be concussed when they played here, Prince took a little while to get up after being blindsided.

Coaster
14-07-09, 09:04 PM
Haha, there is some good people on that forum, but allot of idiots.

Good to see we are getting under there skin :)

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 09:16 PM
Haha, there is some good people on that forum, but allot of idiots.

Good to see we are getting under there skin :)

Well we had better get used to it, because as we get more successful, make more Finals, build new facilities and win Premierships, there will be alot of envious fans out there.

I love tracing alot of their hatred back to fixed incidents against their club. Sometimes it is such a small thing that fuels their grudges. I get laughs out of it.

bigjim
14-07-09, 10:22 PM
I like most thought we should have put a big score on the Eels but reality is never the same as expectation.
In all fairness though, the Eels on their night can and have beat everybody except the Titans.
We beat a very desperate and capable footy team. There's no shame in that.
Next week will be a different story though. There will be no chance of holding on against the Bulldogs with that standard of football.