PDA

View Full Version : Round 17: Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
23-06-09, 12:06 PM
Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/raidersvstitans.jpg

DIEHARD
29-06-09, 12:46 PM
I have just moved the Raiders vs Titans discussion thread across so we can talk up this big match. It would be great to go to the Capital and smash them. Over the last two years we have gone to the ACT injured hit and gotten smacked. But this year will be different, but no easy task as the Raiders are on a rise led by Campese.

Adelaide Titan
29-06-09, 03:24 PM
I remember the Titans first game in Canberra, they put 50 past us and we were destroyed. But its different this year, we are mentally tougher and can take the challenge. I really hope the titans can pull off a win in the capital but it certaintly wont be easy after they are full of confidence from beating the Storm. Even the last encounter with themwas down to the last second when Rogers crossed the line.

Titans by 2

bigjim
29-06-09, 04:33 PM
This will be a tough game but very winable. Particularly since Canberra had such a good win against Storm. They will be coming of a huge high and ripe for the picking at home.:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
29-06-09, 04:38 PM
This will be a tough game but very winable. Particularly since Canberra had such a good win against Storm. They will be coming of a huge high and ripe for the picking at home.:thumbsup:

That and at least they aren't unveiling a Mal Meninga statue next weekend.

Canberra_Titan
29-06-09, 05:00 PM
I'll be there for the game, last time I got stuck around a particularly obnoxious bunch of Raiders fans when we got drilled by 50pts.

I'd rather sit with fellow Titans fans, any idea which bay the majority of Titans fans will be sitting (if there is a traditional section for away fans at Canberra Stadium).

Cheers

Mick

DIEHARD
29-06-09, 05:05 PM
I'll be there for the game, last time I got stuck around a particularly obnoxious bunch of Raiders fans when we got drilled by 50pts.

I'd rather sit with fellow Titans fans, any idea which bay the majority of Titans fans will be sitting (if there is a traditional section for away fans at Canberra Stadium).

Cheers

Mick

G'day Mick, this is the email our Southern Legion co-ordinator Syl aka BringBackWillie just sent out.

Canberra trip: Titans v Raiders (Sunday, 5 July)‏

Hi everyone

Members of the Southern Legion will be heading down to Canberra for the Titans v Raiders clash this Sunday, 5 July.

Kickoff is at 2pm.

If you are going to join us, we will be in the Northern Terraces. Look out for the flags and Enter the Titans banner.

Helen and Cam from QLD, whom some of you met when they joined us at the Roosters v Titans SFS game a couple of years ago will be joining us.

See you there as the boys continue the road to the finals and a GREAT chance of a Top 4 finish!

Sylve

I hope to see you there Mick!

DIEHARD
30-06-09, 12:17 AM
Titans face round-17 moment of truth

Surprise NRL frontrunners Gold Coast can swiftly prove they're the real deal on two fronts by overcoming their mid-season moment of truth at the club's Canberra graveyard.

Round 17 has been the start of the end for the fledgling Titans in their first two years and they will once again approach it with a severely-undermanned outfit at Canberra Stadium, the scene of two of their worst three losses.

John Cartwright's men were trounced 46-4 in 2008 and 56-10 in 2007 in the national capital amid late-season capitulations when the Titans won just two of their last 10 games.

Both years they were in the thick of the top-eight action come round 17 losses before fading badly as injuries and an inability to win on the road took their toll.

Cartwright on Monday admitted he will be missing close to half of his first-choice starting side for the chilly assignment.

Five-eighth Mat Rogers must pass a late-week fitness test but he appears the only injured player a possibility to return with Chris Walker on Sunday afternoon.

Co-captain Luke Bailey (arm), Ashley Harrison (ribs), Mark Minichiello (ankle) and Luke O'Dwyer (ankle) are all unavailable, while prop Michael Henderson (hand) is in doubt.

But the coach staunchly believed his team, joint leaders with the Bulldogs and Dragons, could continue to exorcise their demons due to more confidence and a better attitude.

The Titans have done well shaking two big monkeys in 2009, consistently winning away from their Skilled Park fortress and triumphing without playmaking captain Scott Prince.

Although the Raiders are once again riding high after a 26-16 upset of Melbourne, Cartwright said his own side's 28-12 win over the Warriors had them in a confident head space.

"You can't go down there with anything but that attitude, if you don't (Canberra) will get you," he said.

"The last couple of years we've been down on troops and our confidence down and got our tails kicked so it's nice to go down there with some sort of form and a different mood behind us.

"But it's really a tough ask down there and we'll be down on troops again - I don't think we'll get many back this week - so we'll be relying on a lot of the kids again."

Young wingers David Mead and Kevin Gordon were among the best against the Warriors, scoring four of their five tries.

The Titans took a "100 per cent" policy into the clash with the Kiwis and will do the same for Canberra.

"The Raiders are a very similar side, a very physical, big side and it's not the type of conditions where you can carry an injury into the game," Cartwright said.

"They're skilful, they've got pace and plenty of size and guys pushing for Origin (selection).

"They beat Melbourne on the weekend and their confidence is up so it's going to be a battle.

"They are (a different beast at home), they're used to the conditions down there and they like Sunday afternoons but it's all about us."

Source: http://www.nrl.com

karnage
30-06-09, 10:51 AM
The team that Cartwright names this afternoon will be very interesting. As will comparing the actual 17 that take the field against the Raiders.

I am hoping that Carty is playing a bit of 'ducks and drakes' with the media by saying that certain players are definite non-starters on a Monday. That is unlike hm to be so decisive so early.

The footage I saw on the news last night showed Bailey and Rogers training pretty strongly so I am going to hold out hope even if they are not named this afternoon.

Coaster
30-06-09, 11:17 AM
LOL do we have to wait until 3 weeks after we win the GF before the mid season garbage articles will stop?

It seems every week for the last 6 weeks i have heard at some stage "Titans will be looking to win this weekend as this was the weekend there season fell to pieces last year"

Does anyone buy into this crap? This season is not even comparable, last year we didnt have a first grade player left, and we had used nearly all our home games, we were always going to struggle, and we did.

This year we have 5 home games, plus a Suncorp game, by next week nearly a full roster, and players bashing the door down for a spot. We have played all the top teams, and beaten them, and should finish with no less than 36 points IMO.

A top 4 spot, i think 3rd, and a home final, after 1 of the top teams lose, and we win our first final at home, we get the week off, and then win the next week to play the Cowboys in the Grand Final, they will move it to Suncorp and we shall win a tight game, with Friend MOM, and celebrate like 12 year olds on high doses of red cordial for months.

Its all so clear!!

DIEHARD
30-06-09, 11:23 AM
That's the media for you though. 2009 really is a very different year for the Gold Coast. I don't mind being an underdog though, works for Queensland.

This year we have 5 home games, plus a Suncorp game, by next week nearly a full roster, and players bashing the door down for a spot. We have played all the top teams, and beaten them, and should finish with no less than 36 points IMO.

A top 4 spot, i think 3rd, and a home final, after 1 of the top teams lose, and we win our first final at home, we get the week off, and then win the next week to play the Cowboys in the Grand Final, they will move it to Suncorp and we shall win a tight game, with Friend MOM, and celebrate like 12 year olds on high doses of red cordial for months.

Its all so clear!!

:thumbsup: :clap: How many clubs would kill to be in our position? Most of them I would say. Especially with the amount of home games an d that advantage we enjoy.

Tamwelg
30-06-09, 01:06 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Matt White
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Brad Meyers
13. Daniel Conn

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Will Matthews
16. Josh Graham
17. William Zillman
18. David Mead

DIEHARD
30-06-09, 01:19 PM
Some surprises here. Chris holds his position and we welcome back The Rat Mat Rogers. And the courage of Hendo. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Removed O'Dwyer, my mistake.

Walker, Rogers named to take on RaidersAdam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has named flyer Chris Walker and five-eighth Mat Rogers to return for Sunday’s clash against the Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

Walker missed last Saturday night’s 28-12 win over the Warriors after suffering from a migraine in the lead-up while Rogers has been sidelined for the past two matches with a rib cartilage injury.

Prop Michael Henderson has also been named to play on Sunday despite sustaining a broken thumb in the win over the Warriors.

Walker returns in place of rookie winger David Mead, who scored two tries in only his second NRL appearance against the Warriors.

If Rogers is deemed fit to return, livewire Preston Campbell will move back to fullback with flyer William Zillman moving back to the bench.

The Titans, who currently share the competition lead with the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra, are searching for their first win over the Raiders in the nation’s capital.

To view Cartwright’s video announcement of the team to take on the Raiders, click on the link below

Round 17 team v Raiders (http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=titans-tv)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Tamwelg
30-06-09, 01:22 PM
Some surprises here. O'Dwyer is named, Chris holds his position and we welcome back The Rat Mat Rogers. And the courage of Hendo. :thumbsup:

Um did you watch the right team selection :doh: :D Sorry about that think that was my mistake. Copied and pasted old team and left him in above, fixed now.

DIEHARD
30-06-09, 01:41 PM
Yea I read your post first then posted the article, then watched it. I thought it was too good to be true.

Tamwelg
30-06-09, 01:49 PM
Raiders

1. Josh Dugan
2. Justin Carney
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joel Monaghan
5. Phil Graham
6. Terry Campese
7. Marc Herbert
8. David Shillington
9. Glen Buttriss
10. Troy Thompson
11. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Bronson Harrison
13. Alan Tongue (C)

14. Trevor Thurling
15. Nigel Plum
16. Josh Miller
17. Dane Tilse

karnage
30-06-09, 03:48 PM
Good to see Rogers named. I saw Hendo down at Robina today (he looks much bigger on the street than he does on the field) outside the Titans store. He is starting to hit his straps and his inclusion will be key.

I have a really good feeling about this week. The side looks balanced and they will be keen to rip in and give the Raiders some hell over the past 2 floggings we have copped.

Cartwright mentioned in the short interview after the team bit that he expects all the injured guys back in the next 3 weeks.

Would love to see all those big names back for the Parramatta game (they will be minus Hayne and maybe Hindmarsh if the NSW media get their way:) ) and we will have the chance to put on a cricket score.

I love your optimism Coaster. As an old school Seagulls and Chargers fan I just can't afford the luxury to dream like that!!

amaline
30-06-09, 07:19 PM
Has anyone else been following 'The Adjudicator' on the Fox Sports website? Fans write in to argue why their team will win that weekend's games. Last weekend only one Titan's fan wrote in, saying he thought the Warriors would win by plenty! This week looks the same with one of the two Titan's fans writing that the Raiders are going to win. I think we should send off a few emails to say why the Titans are going to get up this weekend.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25711629-5018866,00.html#match6

At this stage the Adjudicator is going with the Titans, however the last few games he has gone against us and we've won.

Adelaide Titan
30-06-09, 09:57 PM
Walker and Rogers will be a massive boost on the road :thumbsup:

curly_11
01-07-09, 10:49 AM
Ok well heres my thoughts. Pretty strong team named considering injuries...If henderson is ruled out i think we should bring up Vave off the bench and start Cannings...

Also got a message from Cassie saying Presto is injured...but not sure on details or if hes just sitting out of training due to soreness or other reasons ...really hope its a false alarm.

patskE
01-07-09, 04:43 PM
just checked the odds at work
its like 1.60 to 2.50, canberra fav's
i spose both times we have gone down we have got beaten, but its amazing how many times we are underdogs this year.

amaline
01-07-09, 04:47 PM
just checked the odds at work
its like 1.60 to 2.50, canberra fav's
i spose both times we have gone down we have got beaten, but its amazing how many times we are underdogs this year.

It's working for us so far. This year has been a year of firsts for us. First win in Melbourne, first win over Dragons and Manly. First win in Canberra :thumbsup:

shamus
01-07-09, 05:50 PM
Bloody Norah..... Cannings has done a hammy according to GC News and is in doubt for Canberra....

Boofhead
01-07-09, 06:16 PM
Yep... Just saw that on the news, Mat Rogers still in doubt too.

No good...

amaline
01-07-09, 06:30 PM
Henderson is definitely playing still? If Rogers and Cannings don't play, I still think the team is looking a lot better than the last time we played the Raiders in Canberra, without Prince and Friend.

Who would fill in? Thompson? Vave? Brock Hunter? Bring in another second rower (any Seagulls playing well enough? How is Ryan Simpkins playing?) and shift Myers to prop?

Adelaide Titan
01-07-09, 06:58 PM
fingers crossed for Rogers.

Im confident for a win!

DIEHARD
01-07-09, 07:09 PM
Canberra $1.50
Gold Coast $2.50

Those are juicy odds! I'm gonna get on the Titans. :)

amaline
01-07-09, 07:26 PM
Canberra $1.50
Gold Coast $2.50

Those are juicy odds! I'm gonna get on the Titans. :)

Combine it with Kevin Gordon first try scorer :thumbsup:

Adelaide Titan
01-07-09, 11:36 PM
They dont tend to go by form to they. It puts less pressure on the Titans if they arent favourites though.

curly_11
02-07-09, 08:51 AM
Henderson is definitely playing still? If Rogers and Cannings don't play, I still think the team is looking a lot better than the last time we played the Raiders in Canberra, without Prince and Friend.

Who would fill in? Thompson? Vave? Brock Hunter? Bring in another second rower (any Seagulls playing well enough? How is Ryan Simpkins playing?) and shift Myers to prop?

At the moment Thompson is on standby for cannings. Not sure on the Q cup i havent watched it in a few weeks but i do know our best performing Q Cup forwards were Matthews and Conn and they are already in the team.

karnage
02-07-09, 09:04 AM
Mathews had a pretty poor game on Saturday night - highlighted by some dropped ball and a couple of missed tackles, one of which led to the try in Delaney's corner in the second half.

With what is looking a severely depleted looking forward pack this week he will need to stand up and be counted.

DIEHARD
02-07-09, 02:59 PM
With what is looking a severely depleted looking forward pack this week he will need to stand up and be counted.

Yea and against one of the most agressive in the league.

Fox Sports News is reporting that Rogers is out injured.

amaline
02-07-09, 03:04 PM
Yea and against one of the most agressive in the league.

Fox Sports News is reporting that Rogers is out injured.

As much as I like Rogers, this probably isn't a bad thing. It moves Zillman into the starting side, leaving a spot for another forward. If Preston and Zillman can play like they did last weekend, I don't think we'd be losing much without Rogers.

DIEHARD
02-07-09, 03:37 PM
Zillman was surperb last week. I remember when he was warming up in front of us, catching bombs. And I called out "You are gonna have the best game of the year Zill, I can feel it." :laugh: Just a bit of fun, but I'll stake credit.

In fact Zillman is growing to be my favourite player, so I'd love to see him play 80mins.

In all seriousness we are lucky to be able to weather such a high key withdrawl with another backline switcheroo. Friend, Preston and Zillman were dynamite last week.

TITAN PETE
02-07-09, 03:55 PM
In fact Zillman is growing to be my favourite player, so I'd love to see him play 80mins.

If Rogers is in any doubt don't risk him at all & let Zillman play another 80minutes especially against his old club , he was superb last week :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
02-07-09, 04:00 PM
If Rogers is in any doubt don't risk him at all & let Zillman play another 80minutes especially against his old club , he was superb last week :thumbsup:

True that Pete. He is fire to fire against his old club and the Raiders fans will let him know about it. Just another bit of theatre for the game.

DIEHARD
02-07-09, 04:02 PM
Raiders v Titans
Canberra Stadium Sunday 2pm

Who would?ve thought just a few weeks ago this could be billed as one of the matches of the round? But finally the Raiders have returned to form after a shock victory against the Storm last weekend with their season on the line, and this week they take on the all-conquering Titans.

John Cartwright?s men have resisted the halfway fall from grace that plagued them during the past two seasons and they sit pretty near the top of the table. This clash is sure to be dramatic and entertaining, especially seeing as though any imbalance between the line-ups will surely be offset by the fact the Titans may struggle to deal with Canberra?s expected chilly afternoon.

Watch out Raiders: The Titans have recorded four wins on the trot and have done so without the services of Luke Bailey, Mat Rogers, Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison in various matches. Quite simply they?re on fire after recent victories over the Warriors, Roosters, Dragons and Sea Eagles.

The Raiders have plenty to be wary of ? including influential duo Preston Campbell and Scott Prince. Campbell (seven line breaks, seven line-break assists, 10 try assists and two tries) has been electric as always while Prince (four line breaks, seven line-break assists, three tries, and nine try assists) continues to effectively marshal his troops. Coupled with the second row of Laffranchi (1630 metres at an average of 125 per game) and Meyers (four line breaks and three tries) and it?s an effective team across the park. The Raiders had better muscle up.

Watch out Titans: The Raiders? last-start victory against Melbourne 26-16 came on the back of some very effective play from their outside backs, especially Joel Monaghan and Justin Carney. Monaghan in particular is effective when a high ball is put up so the Titans should expect plenty of bombs-away moments ? and the Raiders will be looking to exploit their bomb defusal rate of just 65 per cent.

Monaghan has been very strong this season (eight line breaks, two line-break assists, seven tries and two try assists) while Carney (four line breaks and seven tries) has continued to be strong whilst benefitting from his inside man. Dumped NSW five-eighth Terry Campese (five line breaks, 10 line-break assists, 16 try assists and two tries) has given good ball to the players outside him, as has rising half Marc Herbert (two line breaks, nine line-break assists, nine try assists and one try). Prop David Shillington (1399 metres for an average of 117 per game) could be labelled ?buy of the year?.

Where it will be won: The prop-forward battle between Raiders Shillingon, partner Troy Thompson (607 metres at an average of 67 in just nine games) and Josh Miller (1373 metres at an average of 98 metres per game) and Titans props Matthew White (568 metres at an average of 63 per game), Michael Henderson (961 metres at an average of 87 per game) and Aaron Cannings (650 metres at an average of 65 per game) will be crucial.

These big boppers patrolling the middle of the field are in charge of getting their team over the advantage line to provide room for their halves to initiate plays. Whoever gets the dominance in the middle of the ruck should win.

The history: Played 5; Titans 3, Raiders 2. The Titans won the only clash so far this season, defeating the Raiders 16-10 at Skilled Park. Last year the honours were shared with the Raiders smashing the Gold Coast in Canberra 46-4 before being smashed themselves 28-8 on the Coast.

Conclusion: It?s a big match for both teams, with the Titans aiming to continue their winning streak, but the stakes are highest for the home side. Expect their big men to get on top early and provide room for Campese, Monaghan and co. to work their magic.

After a strong victory over last year?s grand-finalists, it?s time the Raiders chalked up another victory ? and the home ground advantage should prove significant.

Match officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger and Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy and Adam Reid; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live from 2pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
02-07-09, 04:04 PM
I can't believe we are such underdogs. All the reviews, all the panel on NRL on FOX and the TAB. I mean it doesn't bother us, but damn.

DIEHARD
02-07-09, 04:07 PM
Raiders clash a test of toughness: Cartwright
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says the loss of a handful of players to injury has provided his side with the perfect chance to test their toughness in Sunday’s clash against Canberra.

Already without the services of several senior players, the Titans have again been forced to make late changes with five-eighth Mat Rogers (rib) and interchange prop Aaron Cannings (hamstring) both ruled out through injury.

While all of the injured brigade are set to return to the paddock in the coming weeks, Cartwright said the remainder of the squad was eager to test themselves in tough conditions against the Raiders in Canberra.

“You can go down to Canberra and have your best possible side and come back black and blue with a bad result,’’ said Cartwright.

“So I’m looking forward to these fellas going down there and the squad is too.

“They see it as test to see where we’re at with a lot of big games coming up in front of us – we’ve got the Dogs, Broncos and Cowboys all too play.

“I think it’s going to be a real benefit to us to go down there in tough conditions and come back with a result.’’

With Rogers again succumbing to a rib injury, livewire Preston Campbell will line-up at five-eighth with William Zillman moving to fullback for the third consecutive match.

In the absence of Cannings, rookie forward Bodene Thompson has been promoted into an 18-man squad to travel to Canberra on Saturday.

amaline
02-07-09, 04:14 PM
So Henderson is definitely playing this game? So we're looking at a bench of Matthews, Graham, Thompson and Mead?

Tamwelg
02-07-09, 04:16 PM
So Henderson is definitely playing this game? So we're looking at a bench of Matthews, Graham, Thompson and Mead?

It looks that way, so the team will be:

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Matt White
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Brad Meyers
13. Daniel Conn

14. Bodene Thompson
15. Will Matthews
16. Josh Graham
17. David Mead

I think we would be better off carrying another forward on the bench to play the Raiders instead of Mead. I read the post match QRL reports for the Tweed games and Brock Hunters name gets mentioned for strong performance now and then, may be worth giving him a shot.

TITAN PETE
02-07-09, 04:18 PM
I can't believe we are such underdogs. All the reviews, all the panel on NRL on FOX and the TAB. I mean it doesn't bother us, but damn.

Flying under the radar is great but i think we are starting to get noticed from a few people , i listen to Talkin Sport most days & Graeme Hughes has warmed to the Titans & is his dark horse to give the comp a huge shake :fist:

curly_11
02-07-09, 04:27 PM
TITANS star Mat Rogers and forward Aaron Cannings have both been ruled out of Sunday's clash against the Canberra Raiders.

Coach John Cartwright this morning confirmed Rogers had succumbed to a rib injury while Cannings tore a hamstring in training yesterday.

Young guns Bodene Thompson and David Mead and have been called onto the bench while Sam Tagataese is 18th man.

William Zillman will move to fullback, Preston Campbell to five-eighth and Josh Graham moves into the starting side.

The Titans will face the Raiders at 2pm on Sunday, they have never beaten Canberra in the nation?s capital.

off the goldcoast.com.au website

think i would have preffered another forward eg Vave or Hunter but still a decent side considering the circumstances

Coaster
02-07-09, 04:52 PM
Ouch more out is not good, especially for combination's in defense.

Backs looking good, we are light in the front row.

Hope Henderson takes control again as he did against the Warriors, he was fantastic. Him and Myers are going to have to have big games.

Mathews needs to understand ball control at the top level, enough of the stupid handling errors, you are allowed to be tackled with the football.

patskE
02-07-09, 05:07 PM
meyers back to the front row?
Sam Tagataese > graham lol

just a though,
walker to centre, delaney to 2nd row and bring mead on the wing?

amaline
02-07-09, 05:10 PM

just a though,

Not a bad idea, but I think too much shuffling around would be counter-productive.

Adelaide Titan
02-07-09, 10:09 PM
We are about to find out how many injuries the Titans can take. If they can get up this week then thats a mighty effort. I wouldnt be suprised if they lost which i of course hope they dont but maybe the injuries have finally gotten to us. The Eels better watch out next week at Skilled Park when the Titans get a host of stars back :D

Supergoose
03-07-09, 12:32 AM
Definitely the defensive structure will be under pressure with so many of the backup forwards playing. It will be a mighty win if we can pull it off.

Tamwelg
03-07-09, 01:18 AM

just a though,

Walker to centre, Mead wing and Delaney second row isn't a bad idea.

DIEHARD
03-07-09, 02:42 AM
Big boy Bodene gets nod for hit-and-run raid on Canberra

A GROUP of unheralded Titans has been given the opportunity to break a 100-point hoodoo in Canberra and deliver the Gold Coast a history-making first win in the nation's capital on Sunday.

Rookies Bodene Thompson and Sam Tagataese have been called up to join the side.

The club's injury tally will give golden opportunities to regular benchwarmers and those who have been battling it out in Queensland Cup for a position in the top team.

The Titans trail 102-14 in two matches played at Canberra Stadium.

Star Mat Rogers (ribs) and forward Aaron Cannings (hamstring) were added to a long injury list yesterday.

But Titans coach John Cartwright is excited to give players an opportunity, declaring his young charges would not be intimidated.

"I'm looking forward to these fellas going down there; the squad see it as a test of where we are at," he said. "We've been towelled up twice down there.

"We've come away with a few firsts this season though."

In a shake-up similar to the one before last week's win over the Warriors, Will Zillman will be elevated from the bench to fullback and Preston Campbell will move to five-eighth.

Thompson and Tagataese will join the bench.

Tagataese is 18th man but could make his Titans debut, with Cartwright toying with the idea of playing four forwards on the bench.

Thompson is another graduate of last year's Titans' under-20s side, and made his debut earlier this year.

He is an aggressive big bopper with slick footwork.

Tagataese is a signing from the Melbourne Storm and is yet to play for his new club because of injuries.

The backrower is a strong ballrunner who has experience in the backline.

Cartwright said contingency plans had worked out well this year, but admitted things were getting thin.

"One goes down and we bring another up, but things are starting to get a bit skinny," said Cartwright.

Campbell said he had faith in the new make-up.

"Times like this last year we would have got smashed up," said Campbell.

"But there's a different feel to the club this year ... hopefully we can go down there with the same attitude.

"It's sort of working for us at the moment, we're getting to know each other's game."

Cartwright said Rogers' ribs were not 100 per cent. "Rogers is just not quite right to take him on the road," he said.

"We really want to go in as close to 100 per cent fit as we can, so he'll miss the boat.

"Cannings has got a hamstring tear so he'll be out for a couple of weeks."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
03-07-09, 02:49 AM
I would love to see 4 forwards on the bench, I think we will need to power to out muscle the Raiders. We also have plenty of versatile blokes and Tags can slot in if needed. We don't lack speed and skill and it exists in concerntrated forms with many of our players, but we need the size and power out there.

lonegull
03-07-09, 06:59 AM
great to see tagatese get into the squad althoug he is 18th man, he must be fit because he hasnt played queensland cup for quiet a while, where is graham going to play?

karnage
03-07-09, 09:54 AM
From what I have read Graham is going to start at lock. He was a regular part of our best 13 last year and I have plenty of faith in his ability to do the sort of job that O'Dwyer has been doing so well.

This pushes Conn back to the bench which I think is a good call as he can come on and give us some punch off the bench - something Graham would be incapable of. He will be a lot better for the run last week.

An how bout that last article Diehard put up. How many 'hoodoos' can the bloody Bulletin journalists come up with??? The trip to Canberra is a 100 point hoodoo. Give me a break!!:fist:

Tamwelg
03-07-09, 10:38 AM
From what I have read Graham is going to start at lock. He was a regular part of our best 13 last year and I have plenty of faith in his ability to do the sort of job that O'Dwyer has been doing so well.

This pushes Conn back to the bench which I think is a good call as he can come on and give us some punch off the bench - something Graham would be incapable of. He will be a lot better for the run last week.

An how bout that last article Diehard put up. How many 'hoodoos' can the bloody Bulletin journalists come up with??? The trip to Canberra is a 100 point hoodoo. Give me a break!!:fist:

Ithink you'll find conn to second row meyers to prop White to the bench.

DIEHARD
03-07-09, 05:00 PM
Canberra v Gold Coast
Sunday, Canberra Stadium, 2pm

Referees: Gavin Badger, Chris James
Head to head: Titans 3, Raiders 2
Last clash: Titans 16 bt Raiders 10 at Skilled Park (Rd 6, 2009)
TAB Sportsbet: Raiders $1.50, Titans $2.50
FootyTAB: Titans +5.5 points

The Titans, at their third attempt, will try to record their first win in Canberra. These two teams have clashed five times, and each game has been won by the home team. The two games in Canberra have seen massive wins by the Raiders - 56-10 in 2007 and 46-4 last year. It should be noted that each of those two wins came in the second half of the season, when the Titans folded due to injuries and a lack of quality depth in each of their first two years, but it is a challenge for any opposition to beat the Raiders in Canberra, particularly in the middle of winter, and the Titans - venturing down from the warmer climate of the Gold Coast - still have to get over that hump.

The Titans have had a few injury concerns recently, but have responded better to such problems than they did last year and in 2007. Last weekend, they won 28-12 at home against the Warriors, despite Luke Bailey, Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello, Mat Rogers and Chris Walker all being out. Rogers and Walker have been named for returns here, but they are still without Bailey, Harrison and Minichiello and that is half their starting forward pack against a big, strong Canberra pack that will sense an opportunity to get on top up front. Plus, the Raiders have named four more forwards on the bench, so it is clear where they intend to try to estabish an advantage.

The Raiders scored a well-deserved, 26-16 win at home against the Storm last weekend. The Titans are running third and the Raiders 13th, but because of that feared home-ground advantage and the fact the Raiders are very close to full strength the bookmakers have put the Raiders up as clear favourites.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
03-07-09, 05:19 PM
What passes for a feared home-ground advantage these days?

Would it be the Gold Coast at our Fortress, Skilled Park with 7 wins, no defeats?

Or the Canberra Raiders who have lost 4 games out of 7 home games?

patskE
03-07-09, 05:38 PM
graham does play better for us when he starts i feel
with so many injurys, its still a strong side tbh.
ill go in with 4 forwards
mead can really only replace another winger/centre which i wouldnt do anyway

DIEHARD
03-07-09, 06:40 PM
Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v Canberra Raiders preview.

Raiders stars Alan Tongue and rookie Raiders centre Jarrod Croker along with Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright and fullback William Zillman preview Sundays NRL clash at Canberra Stadium.

The thirteenth placed Raiders are desperate for the Premiership points as they continue their late season charge, while the Titans are determined to maintain their place at the top of the points table.

Click on the link below to watch this special preview.

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans/190275

DIEHARD
04-07-09, 03:39 PM
Campese gets tip from rival skipper

Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince has given rival playmaker Terry Campese some unlikely advice ahead of tomorrow's clash at Canberra Stadium, urging the Raiders five-eighth to forget his NSW axing.
Tomorrow's game presents Campese and teammates Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Joel Monaghan and Alan Tongue with their last chance to impress NSW selectors ahead of Monday's team announcement.

All four are in the running to represent the Blues in the Origin III dead rubber at Suncorp Stadium on July15, while Raiders prop David Shillington is almost certain to be selected for Queensland this week.

Cronulla's Trent Barrett remains favourite to retain the Blues five-eighth jersey, after replacing Campese following Origin I.

But Campese will boost his chances if he leads the Raiders to their second win over a top-four team in a week.

Prince has experienced his fair share of representative disappointment.

The brilliant Titans halfback has been stuck behind the world's best No7, Johnathan Thurston, at both state and national level for years.

He urged Campese to forget NSW selection and focus on what he does best leading the Raiders around the field.

''All I can say is that I've been in a similar position before and my advice to him is just to keep working hard, keep playing good footy and the opportunities will come,'' Prince said. ''When they do come he's just got to take them with both hands and make the most of them.

''I think it's great that he was rewarded for a great year last year by getting selected for Australia and for NSW.

''Now he has to keep working hard.''

Campese and Prince played alongside each other against Papua New Guinea during Australia's failed World Cup campaign.

The Titans skipper said he had congratulated Campese via text message when he was selected for Origin I.

While Prince empathises with Campese's axing, his focus this weekend is on engineering the Raiders' downfall.

The Titans are in the middle of an injury crisis, with key players Mat Rogers (ribs), Luke Bailey (broken arm), Ashley Harrison (ribs), Mark Minichiello (ankle), Luke O'Dwyer (ankle) and Aaron Cannings (hamstring) all unavailable.

It's a similar predicament to the Titans' first two years in the NRL, when promising seasons were de-railed by injuries to key players.

Prince said the difference this year was the Titans had the depth to cover injury.

''It's just same old story to the last couple of years, but I think we're a bit more equipped this year,'' he said. ''The last two years we've had to throw guys in the deep end, whereas I think this year those guys that are coming in have been in this position before. They're well aware of what's required to play NRL football now and the guys and myself personally have got no doubts about the guys stepping in and taking the challenge up.''

Prince said former Raider William Zillman was a perfect example of the Titans' renewed depth.

Zillman will start at fullback tomorrow, having been primarily used as a bench utility this season.

''It's great to have Zilly in the squad,'' Prince said. ''He's not only a fine footballer, he's a great athlete.

''He can fill any number of positions.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

DIEHARD
04-07-09, 03:47 PM
Well I am about to head off to the Nation's Capital for the first time since I was a wee boy. I am looking forward to it, adding another rugby league stadium to my list that I have not attended.

I am full of confidence for our team tomorrow. While we are ravaged by short term injury, I believe we have the dpth and quality to put together a great team on the field.

Really looking forward to seeing our southern based Titans fans and also Helen and Cam who are headed down as well!

Adelaide Titan
04-07-09, 07:27 PM
Lets Go Titans!!!

:D :D :D

Chaos
05-07-09, 08:34 AM
I'm not into "Hoodoos" but with the injuries we have, Canberra playing at home with a strong pack and a desperate attitude.
I know they are towards the bottom of the ladder but I think they have more potential then the bottom halve of the comp.

Our wingers got us out of trouble against a uncreative Warriors side last week...this will be a tough match

Hoppy2007Dragons
05-07-09, 11:28 AM
Given the titans poor record against canberra and the trouble of making a long trip to cold cold canberra, from warm warm gold coast.

Having a decent but understrenghted forward pack is the real big issue, canberra have a very good pack, with Harrison, Tongue, Lars just to name a few.

Missing, Bailey, Harrison, Minichello, Cannings is gonna make it tough if canberra try to outmuscle the titans up the middle.

Canberra by 8.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 01:50 PM
Now we can add Will Mathews to the injured brigade as he's been ruled out due to a stomach bug :nope:

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Brad Meyers
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Josh Graham
13. Daniel Conn

14. Matt White
15. Sam Tagetese
16. Bodene Thompson
17. David Mead

The numbers may be wrong but this should be the team

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 02:25 PM
Carneys leg will be on youtube very soon , Fark that looked VERY PAINFULL :( :cry:

amaline
05-07-09, 02:26 PM
Carneys leg will be on youtube very soon , Fark that looked VERY PAINFULL :( :cry:

It's not good. And the Raiders have 4 forwards on the bench too.

Paul
05-07-09, 02:27 PM
I honestly just felt sick seeing that

His tib/fib seemed to just snap

kwigibo
05-07-09, 02:28 PM

Almost as bad as Ridge against the Broncos.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 02:31 PM
Conns Greed gives the Raiders 6 more

10-0 after 20 :nope:

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 02:35 PM
Woohoo the "Friend - Franki" combo :fist:

10-6

kwigibo
05-07-09, 02:37 PM
That's why Delaney doesn't ever pass I guess.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 02:40 PM
That's why Delaney doesn't ever pass I guess.

Yep & it gifts the Raiders another try :nope: , they are finding the defence out wide very average :mad:

amaline
05-07-09, 02:41 PM
Yep & it gifts the Raiders another try :nope: , they are finding the defence out wide very average :mad:

It'll be interesting to see when Mead is going to be brought in.

Rage
05-07-09, 02:47 PM
Things are not looking good..

22 - 6 with 3 mins
till halftime

Scratch that
28 - 6 at halftime :(

Titan Dave
05-07-09, 02:48 PM
the titans should of just stayed home, they are playing crap, they dont look like they want to be there!

matti
05-07-09, 02:48 PM
http://www.justin.tv/namikstudio

watch it live with fox sports

amaline
05-07-09, 02:50 PM
http://www.justin.tv/namikstudio

watch it live with fox sports

I don't think anyone is going to want to watch this live. :mad:

matti
05-07-09, 02:51 PM
Yer i noticed, johnn is not happy

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 02:51 PM

He should've been brought on the park 40 mins ago :mad: , Walker,Delaney & Prince's defence is PATHETIC

Coaster
05-07-09, 02:52 PM
Delany needs to be hooked and mead put on, delany is playing disgusting I'm embarrased watching this tripe

Paul
05-07-09, 02:52 PM

Hopefully soon, Walker is using all his energy pointing at Graham as he runs past him yet again for others to tackle him rather than making an effort himself

Canberra are on fire,Graham,Dugan and Campese are just playing games with us,We can't hold the ball for some reason. I thought once Carney went off and Croker keeps going down every few minutes that we would dominate them but they are killing us all over the park

I think if we start well and score first then we'll go close to winning it but if canberra score first it'll be another massicre down there like the past 2 years

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 02:56 PM
Delany needs to be hooked and mead put on, delany is playing disgusting I'm embarrased watching this tripe

He must have signed with Parra already as no 1 would waste a 5 bucks on this imposters performance today

Coaster
05-07-09, 02:57 PM
It's not walkers fault that the walking comic book is rushing in and leaving him on his own

Coaster
05-07-09, 03:00 PM
Its all about for and against now, forget the win we need to control the ball and close this gap,

Coaster
05-07-09, 03:01 PM
He must have signed with Parra already as no 1 would waste a 5 bucks on this imposters performance today
I hope he has signed with them, he offers nothing in attack and is a turnstile in defence

amaline
05-07-09, 03:01 PM
Its all about for and against now, forget the win we need to control the ball and close this gap,

Yep, but I can't see it happening.

Titan Dave
05-07-09, 03:11 PM
this game is becoming embarrasing for us!

amaline
05-07-09, 03:14 PM
Nice work by Mead.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 03:16 PM
Well done Mead , great start to his match but what about the D**khead with the whistle calling on the video ref to check the corner post :laugh:

Rage
05-07-09, 03:16 PM
Yes Mead's in but no conversion
28-10

Titan Dave
05-07-09, 03:21 PM
what a legend mead is! he should be on all game every game!

amaline
05-07-09, 03:21 PM
Start Mead. :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 03:22 PM
Great hitback from Walker in the 2nd half & Mead gets a double :thumbsup:

28-16

Rage
05-07-09, 03:22 PM
Mead's got his second try!
28-16

Paul
05-07-09, 03:24 PM
The mead/walker combo has done brilliantly. Keep it like this

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 03:30 PM
Knock on Dreamers

Paul
05-07-09, 03:35 PM
Oh well, game over now :(

Nathan friend has been outstanding for us in a well beaten side

princeys kicking has been really below par this year

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 03:38 PM
Oh well, game over now :(

Nathan friend has been outstanding for us in a well beaten side

princeys kicking has been really below par this year

I agree on all 3 points but add Boof & Hendo to the Titans best

amaline
05-07-09, 03:40 PM
2 quick tries in 5 minutes?

amaline
05-07-09, 03:42 PM
Wow. One try down. We might be a chance.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 03:43 PM
Lookout 34-28 4 minutes to go

Rage
32 - 28!!

There's 5 minutes left, cmon Titans

Paul
Holy crap, we might win this!!!

Rage
05-07-09, 03:49 PM
close.. but too late
34-28 FULLTIME
:cry:

Paul
05-07-09, 03:50 PM
Why didn't the ref stop the clock when tongue refused to give the ball back at the end? We would have had 30 seconds as opposed to the 4 we ended up with

Good comeback in the second half but piss poor defence in the first

Adelaide Titan
05-07-09, 03:53 PM
We left it too late and if there was another minute or 2 left we could have stolen that if we could have used all 6 tackles. Disappointed but happy they showed a fighting spirit at then end and made it a respectible socreline unlike the first half which cost us dearly. At keast we are still 3rd and wont budge out of the top 4 even if we lose next week which the Titans shouldnt at Home. the Eels game will be a test to see if they can keep their season in tact.

Coaster
05-07-09, 03:54 PM
Delany must have had money on us losing, hopefully the last ge he plays for us. Good second half from the boys, mead is a try scorer. I
am happy with that even though we lost we showed some heart

amaline
05-07-09, 03:56 PM
Delany must have had money on us losing, hopefully the last ge he plays for us. Good second half from the boys, mead is a try scorer. I
am happy with that even though we lost we showed some heart

And Walker played well in the centres too. I can't see it happening, but I think Walker should stay there. Put Delaney on the bench.

Boofhead
05-07-09, 04:02 PM
Excellent second half, thought we actually pulled off that comeback for a second there.

Very dissapointing first half, it's as though they were sumbitting to another 40 point loss.

I'm now on the Mead band wagon, he had an amazing injection on the game. Should have spread it more to the Walker/Mead wing.

Adelaide Titan
05-07-09, 04:02 PM
Well with players coming in next week, things are looking good despite that loss. The last 10 mins showed how good the Titans can play so maybe this was a loss they needed so they can adjust and get ready for the Eels and 2 big games after that.

Paul
05-07-09, 04:04 PM
Great second half by our boys but the first half was totally unacceptable and it consequently cost us the game.

Nathan Friend,Hold your head up mate.Absolutely outstanding for the full 80

I thought Laffranchi,Meyers,Gordon,henderson had good games too,Walker played really well in the second half when mead came on. I really like Matt White but he really does drop the ball too much.

The first half was a mess but I don't think it was any individuals fault like some of you do,I think we defended poorly as a team

Next week I want to see us put 50 past a team for the first time :)

kwigibo
05-07-09, 04:05 PM
And Walker played well in the centres too. I can't see it happening, but I think Walker should stay there. Put Delaney on the bench.

Gordon
Tonga
Walker
Mead

Nothing wrong with that, four weapons none of which are real liabilities defensively. If Delaney's going anyway cut him loose, don't bench him, we have players coming back soon, we don't 'need' him. Walker can use a football much better than he can anyway in addition to being a top finisher. We just need a new guy to kick the restarts.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 04:08 PM
You could say we were unlucky but when u play has as poor as they did in the 1st half then they should've been thrashed by 60 & thats the difference in 09' :(

This is not a loss thats going to hurt us too much with only a 6 point loss & we are in the same position today even though we have been beaten & may still be in equal 2nd if the Dogs get beat.

I think Carty will have to find a spot in the run on side for Mead he looks dangerous everytime he's involved in the match .......yes i agree replace if with the Frog ;)

Was it just me or did Tagatese only play about 10 minutes :nope: :ugh:

Coaster
05-07-09, 04:09 PM

The bench outide coolangatta airport with his bags

Rage
05-07-09, 04:10 PM
Yeh I really liked the Walker / Mead combo, worked wonders. I'm really loving Gordon and Mead as our wingers, they're both great. It's just hard to see Cartwright dropping someone like Delaney to the bench, or even completely.

Even though we ost, I think it's clear that this year's Titans are really a differetn side. In the past, it's unlikey the Titans would have continued to fight back and almost steal the game.

Just a bit frustrating to see Tongue unwilling to give the ball on the top of that last penalty, only had 4 seconds :fist:

Can't wait till next week for so many of our players coming back.

Adelaide Titan
05-07-09, 04:11 PM
The boys will be fired up to bounce back next week and thrash the Eels in front of their home crowd. Meads has proven he deserves a spot in the side and he's got a bright future ahead of him, also Walker scored again in his first game back so he's proving an important figure in the team. He can score tries when we really need one (just like against the Roosters).

Carty would have been furious at half time!

Rage
05-07-09, 04:11 PM
You could say we were unlucky but when u play has as poor as they did in the 1st half then they should've been thrashed by 60 & thats the difference in 09' :(

This is not a loss thats going to hurt us too much with only a 6 point loss & we are in the same position today even though we have been beaten & may still be in equal 2nd if the Dogs get beat.

I think Carty will have to find a spot in the run on side for Mead he looks dangerous everytime he's involved in the match .......yes i agree replace if with the Frog ;)

Was it just me or did Tagatese only play about 10 minutes :nope: :ugh:

Another selection headache for Cartwright?
When Rogers comes back, he's gonna have to find a spot for both Zillman and Mead.

Coaster
05-07-09, 04:18 PM
Gordon
tonga
zillman
walker
Preston
Rogers
mead
prince

with all this talent for backs, how is Delany making this team?

Adelaide Titan
05-07-09, 04:21 PM
coz of injuries? Anyway you cant say we have no depth with that!

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 04:22 PM
The bench outide coolangatta airport with his bags

Come on Coaster what makes u beleive he deserves a Plane ticket...whats wrong with a Bus Stop ;)

karnage
05-07-09, 04:24 PM
That second half performance was important for 2 reasons:
1. It keeps our for and against positive.
2. It gives us something to take into the home game at Parramatta next Monday.

I just hope that the boys are hurting from this loss. In the past when our seasons have slipped away I just wonder if the losses hurt them as much as it did us - they should not be lulled into a false sense of security thinking that they got close becuase frankly they did not deserve to after that ATROCIOUS 1st 40.

I will go on record right now and say that this coming match against Parramatta is the biggest game in the clubs history. We cannot afford to dop 2 games in a row against teams both ranked worse than 10th. A loss will take us from fighting for a top 4 berth to fighting to stay in the 8 in a fortnight.

MUSCLE UP!!!!!!!!

As for team changes:

I would put Rogers straight into the centres, leave Campbell at 5/8 and Zillman at fullback. Walker on the bench as an impact player and I would have Delaney playing for Ipswich or Tweed.

amaline
05-07-09, 04:24 PM
Come on Coaster what makes u beleive he deserves a Plane ticket...whats wrong with a Bus Stop ;)

I was thinking exactly that. A plane is quicker, though.

karnage
05-07-09, 04:26 PM
The play that had me the darkest was not the errant pass or the woeful defence - it was the silly little penalty in the 1st half where he put his hand into Dugan's face. Those are the discipline issues we cannot afford on the road. I would have hooked him then and there.

patskE
05-07-09, 04:27 PM
iam not a fan of white
tbh move delaney to bench and let walker and mead have that wing. or rogers to centre, mead is just to good to not have in the side.

karnage
05-07-09, 04:32 PM
iam not a fan of white
tbh move delaney to bench and let walker and mead have that wing. or rogers to centre, mead is just to good to not have in the side.

Let's hope the management feel the same way. He simply must be given the chance to play the full 80.

amaline
05-07-09, 04:34 PM
As for team changes:

I would put Rogers straight into the centres, leave Campbell at 5/8 and Zillman at fullback. Walker on the bench as an impact player and I would have Delaney playing for Ipswich or Tweed.

I agree with Delaney but I'm not sure about moving Rogers to centre. Walker threw two passes that led directly to tries. Would Rogers be as likely to pass?

karnage
05-07-09, 04:36 PM
I agree with Delaney but I'm not sure about moving Rogers to centre. Walker threw two passes that led directly to tries. Would Rogers be as likely to pass?

Walker would be great when we had the ball but would he be up to defending in the centres?? I can't answer that but I would feel uneasy about it I must admit.

amaline
05-07-09, 04:38 PM
Walker would be great when we had the ball but would he be up to defending in the centres?? I can't answer that but I would feel uneasy about it I must admit.

Yeah I see what you mean. At least he'd be up against Ben Smith, rather than Joel Reddy.

patskE
05-07-09, 04:40 PM
ill put zillman back to the bench, iam still not convinced yet ahah

amaline
05-07-09, 04:49 PM
So, who is due back next week? Bailey? Mini? Harrison?

patskE
05-07-09, 04:54 PM
cannings was only a strain wasnt it? should be back shouldnt he?
harrison but he prob be picked for SOO wouldnt he?
bailey, cannings, henderson, meyers (front row imo)

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 04:55 PM
So, who is due back next week? Bailey? Mini? Harrison?

Bailey is definatley back & Rogers should be right ..

Rage
05-07-09, 04:56 PM

Bailey would be back from what i read this morning but he's putting his hand up for origin

amaline
05-07-09, 05:04 PM
Bailey would be back from what i read this morning but he's putting his hand up for origin

Hopefully he's playing for us. I'd like him to get a game for us before we play the Bulldogs. It'd be good to get a lot of players back next week, smack the Eels and be ready for Bulldogs.

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 05:04 PM

Cannings was a small tear so i don't think he'll be back for the next game :nope:

TITAN PETE
05-07-09, 05:07 PM
Hopefully he's playing for us. I'd like him to get a game for us before we play the Bulldogs. It'd be good to get a lot of players back next week, smack the Eels and be ready for Bulldogs.

Which is only a 4 day turn around & Origin inbetween so hopefully a heap on Dogs get selected & no Titans :D

amaline
05-07-09, 05:14 PM
Which is only a 4 day turn around & Origin inbetween so hopefully a heap on Dogs get selected & no Titans :D

I think at best we'd be looking at Kimmorley, Ennis, Morris, Stagg and Hodgson. I can see them all missing out, though.

Tamwelg
05-07-09, 05:17 PM
Cannings was a small tear so i don't think he'll be back for the next game :nope:

Sunday Mail says he is out for 3 weeks.

Rage
05-07-09, 05:18 PM
I think at best we'd be looking at Kimmorley, Ennis, Morris, Stagg and Hodgson. I can see them all missing out, though.

hm it was almost certain they were gonna pick Ennis but after Farah's strong showing last night who knows.

patskE
05-07-09, 05:19 PM
morris a wing spot has to be, prob out of hodgson and bailey, prob neither will get picked
stagg if harrison is out which he is?
farah played a good game yesturday but did poorly in soo
kimmorley wont get picked casue they hate him since that intercept

teke
05-07-09, 06:41 PM
Can i finally say finally :fist: :fist:

I have heard Wally Lewis talk about Mead as being the rare find of a League World Cup which isnt know for unearthing much at all.

Roosters chased him hard because they wanted a fullback, they had plans for him after Minichello moves on. To be honest he is a winger at the moment but it wont be long til Team Titans move him in to the centres or even fullback.

Walker became gun shy today after Phil Graham burnt him a few times down the side. This put alot of pressure on Delaney especially when Walker stood back waiting for the kcik through.

Carty has some selection headaches ahead. IMO I would leave Mead on the bench at the moment cause the team is going alright in the backs.

Rage
05-07-09, 06:50 PM
Can i finally say finally :fist: :fist:

I have heard Wally Lewis talk about Mead as being the rare find of a League World Cup which isnt know for unearthing much at all.

Roosters chased him hard because they wanted a fullback, they had plans for him after Minichello moves on. To be honest he is a winger at the moment but it wont be long til Team Titans move him in to the centres or even fullback.

Walker became gun shy today after Phil Graham burnt him a few times down the side. This put alot of pressure on Delaney especially when Walker stood back waiting for the kcik through.

Carty has some selection headaches ahead. IMO I would leave Mead on the bench at the moment cause the team is going alright in the backs.

But if you leave Mead on the bench, Zillman will also be put on the bench when Rogers comes back. This means we'll lose a forward (on the bench).

amaline
05-07-09, 06:56 PM
But if you leave Mead on the bench, Zillman will also be put on the bench when Rogers comes back. This means we'll lose a forward (on the bench).

Yeah, I can't see Mead and Zillman getting a bench spot. Maybe Delaney will be "injured" next week?

squirrell
05-07-09, 07:05 PM
why when the last play could have drawn the game for us did boof end up having to produce the kick through instead of the halves?it was a garbage kick anyway but he shouldnt have had the ball...

Rage
05-07-09, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I can't see Mead and Zillman getting a bench spot. Maybe Delaney will be "injured" next week?

lol suspicious :p

teke
05-07-09, 07:06 PM
But if you leave Mead on the bench, Zillman will also be put on the bench when Rogers comes back. This means we'll lose a forward (on the bench).Yeah we cant afford to have only 2 forwards. Im just overly eager to get a weapon into the game :) :)

amaline
05-07-09, 07:36 PM
Yeah we cant afford to have only 2 forwards. Im just overly eager to get a weapon into the game :) :)

He should start, whatever happens with Delaney/Walker. He has to play the full 80.

amaline
05-07-09, 07:39 PM
lol suspicious :p

Well, getting dropped to the Q Cup surely can't do much good for his asking price for next year. Although, I don't think the game would have either.

quins rl
05-07-09, 08:37 PM
ill put zillman back to the bench, iam still not convinced yet ahah

Gota agree with you,hasnt exactly set the place alight,and looks to have lost half a yard of pace.Cant see a spot for him when,or if,we get all our bodies back.Been pretty disappointed in him so far,expected a bit more.

Chaos
05-07-09, 08:53 PM
Gota agree with you,hasnt exactly set the place alight,and looks to have lost half a yard of pace.Cant see a spot for him when,or if,we get all our bodies back.Been pretty disappointed in him so far,expected a bit more.

I think Zillman needs Carty to give him some confidence...give him the fullback position for a few games in a row to find his place in the backline.
I think it is more important to have a ball playing 5/8 and Preston is our only guy.
It's the same old argument...Rogers is a great ball runner but playing in a creative position.

We have all been waiting to see Zillman come alive and you don't get nicked named TP for no reason.

patskE
05-07-09, 09:01 PM
dragons play with two forwards on the bench hehe

amaline
05-07-09, 09:03 PM
I think Zillman needs Carty to give him some confidence...give him the fullback position for a few games in a row to find his place in the backline.
I think it is more important to have a ball playing 5/8 and Preston is our only guy.
It's the same old argument...Rogers is a great ball runner but playing in a creative position.

We have all been waiting to see Zillman come alive and you don't get nicked named TP for no reason.

Yeah and I think he played well last week. He just didn't get much opportunity I guess.

Supergoose
05-07-09, 09:29 PM
Was very disappointed with Delaney. He left Walker in no-mans land in that first half. He tends to have these games where his mind is all over the place. Walker is a capable centre as is Rogers. I would love to see Campbell, Gordon, Tonga, Walker, Mead, Rogers and Prince. I don't think Zillman gives us what Campbell does at the back.

I also don't agree with Graham starting. He's a bench player or a centre. Not good enough to start in the pack IMO. Full strength he doesn't get a run. I thought Tagataese was good when he was on. It will be good to get some game time under his belt. He provided a bit of impact I thought.

As far as the game went - predictably we got hammered up the middle - I don't think Delaney liked what was going on inside him to be honest and got sucked in. Apart from dropping the ball, throwing an intercept and inviting them in - we got punished up the centre third. Bring back our starting pack!

Let's hope we can get some help for Meyers, Laffranchi and Friend because there wasn't much today, especially playing probably the biggest pack in the NRL.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
05-07-09, 10:32 PM
Man i really hope walker makes sure his passport is valid so the titans can ship him off to england next season, he doesnt play well away from home and than again i dont think he really deserves another chance he should be back on the queensland cup next week playing for ipswich, i think we need to put mead and gordon on the wing, there speedy fast and talented and can work magic....

Tonga is great in the centre, maybe zillman can play in the centre also when presto is at full back and rogers at 5/8.

also i cant wait till we get back rogers and harrison, and i think mark minichello might have to earn his spot in the team again because brad meyers is playing excellent footy

and once again scott prince had a pretty odinary game but thats just my opinion, i just think the whole team plays better up at skilled park and i cant wait till we play the eels at skilled park

lonegull
06-07-09, 07:11 AM
i dont like being to critical on players but Josh Graham why is he in the starting side he offers nothing, he cant bust a tackle cant offload, he doesnt seem to be able to make many metres and he got caught out in defence a few times yesterday, i still cant belive he started, the titans this week with a few players back graham surely cant make the bench especially now with tagatese playing as well,

Coaster
06-07-09, 09:14 AM
i dont like being to critical on players but Josh Graham why is he in the starting side he offers nothing, he cant bust a tackle cant offload, he doesnt seem to be able to make many metres and he got caught out in defence a few times yesterday, i still cant belive he started, the titans this week with a few players back graham surely cant make the bench especially now with tagatese playing as well,

I agree 100%, he can fill a gap on the bench while we missing Chalky and Co. but not a starting spot in the forwards.

As for Zillman, confidence is the key, last week i was screaming at him to talk to the forwards, as soon as he did, his game improved dramatically. He needs to take more control of the game, and at the moment to me he looks like he is sitting back doing his job.

We need him screaming at our forwards, pushing them into gaps, organizing the front line, and looking for offloads. The more load he takes, the better he will be in both attack and defense, and this will only come with confidence and will not happen switching him from bench to fullback every second week.

shamus
06-07-09, 09:18 AM
Man i really hope walker makes sure his passport is valid so the titans can ship him off to england next season, he doesnt play well away from home and than again i dont think he really deserves another chance he should be back on the queensland cup next week playing for ipswich,

Your kiddin right? Sure, he had an average first half, not helped by the centre....(but I am not bagging anyone.. :p ) but the second half once he went to centre he thrived. He fed 2 great balls to Mead who scored and from a Canberra kickoff after a Titans try he set off again which led to another late Titans try.

But I can see peoples points of view. How do you leave Mead out after his performances the past 2 weeks. Maybe put Walker in the centres, there is no way Delaney would have thrown those passes....well IMO anyway.

As Lonegull said, I also don't like to be critical of players. It's not as if they go out and intentionally have an average or bad day. As some great philospher once said....Sh1t happens! But the first half was absolutely abysmal and in their defence it seems (if reports are true) that some of them had the flu....add that to the 7 missing regulars and our second half looks fantastic.

Tamwelg
06-07-09, 10:06 AM

We've got to remember Zillman is coming off those knee recons. I think we will see the best from him next season. I thought his game last week was really good.

kwigibo
06-07-09, 11:45 AM
But I can see peoples points of view. How do you leave Mead out after his performances the past 2 weeks. Maybe put Walker in the centres, there is no way Delaney would have thrown those passes....well IMO anyway.

Carty can be too loyal and averse to change, but Delaney has spent any goodwill he's saved up. He was a very good player for us for a long time, he's played more games than anyone for the club, but he's not showing much lately, and it seems he's gone next year. Mead is knocking down the door, Walker has been great more often than not. What is loyalty to him going to get the club now? Confidence for Delaney when he plays for the opposition next year?

karnage
06-07-09, 02:33 PM
Carty admits in the post match press conference that he has a few headaches now. You don't have to be Einstein to figure out it was a direct reference to Delaney.

Your spot on with the loyalty. The team changes this week will be the most eagerly anticipated ones of the year to see who is back from injury, who got picked for origin and who fills the outside back positions.

clmakings
08-07-09, 09:11 PM
Absolutely Coaster!!! i can't agree with you more, zillman needs to be set into the fullback position to get total confidence and bring preston in of the bench he can cover so many postions in the centre, and fullback if he's needed. We can probably get to keep him for another year also running off the bench