13. Micheal Luck (Vc)

14. Aaron Heremaia
15. Jesse Royal
16. Ben Matulino
17. Jacob Lillyman
20. Russell Packer

Adelaide Titan
17-06-09, 04:14 PM
still a while away but hopefully with the bye this weekend we can get a full side back if Luke Bailey recovers and continue our home ground dominance. We need a big win sooner or later and i think this may be it. The warriors havnt exactly been in great form and the Titans know they cant afford to drop off again.

Early tip but...Titans by 20

DIEHARD
17-06-09, 04:24 PM
I would love to see the Titans open up and win by 20 points. That home ground advantage and a vulnerable Warriors side.

I hope we can have Rogers back, we miss Rogers and he is a very important part of our team. Underrated in that regard. I think Bull will miss the game, at best just to give him another week, he is too valuable to our Finals campaign.

After being at the Gosford game against the Roosters, I will welcome the return to Skilled Park and that home ground advantage. I know there wasn't many people at last week's game, but the Chook Pen was in full voice pumping energy into their team.

This should be a BIG game, we always draw well on the Coast against the Warriors. So get your tickets soon! http://www.ticketek.com.au

Adelaide Titan
17-06-09, 04:29 PM
yeah we are probably better off resting Bailey, afterall injuries have derailed our last 2 seasons. When is Minichiello back? It will be hard for him to get a spot in the team as its very strong at the moment, which is not a problem. He would be a great inclusion on any given day.

Well, i'll certaintly be watching this game at home on TV!

DIEHARD
17-06-09, 04:36 PM
Well, i'll certaintly be watching this game at home on TV!

Glad to hear you have Foxtel, at least you can see all the games and rugby league shows, even if you can't get to the matches.

Adelaide Titan
17-06-09, 04:42 PM
The only annoying thing is friday night games, we dont get them til late on channel 9 and even Fox doesnt show them live, but I have IQ so if I miss a game i can just record it =)

There's actually a fair few Titans fans here!

A win here could almost cement us in the finals, so this is an important game indeed.

Rage
18-06-09, 02:23 PM
The only annoying thing is friday night games, we dont get them til late on channel 9 and even Fox doesnt show them live, but I have IQ so if I miss a game i can just record it =)

There's actually a fair few Titans fans here!

A win here could almost cement us in the finals, so this is an important game indeed.

When it's a delayed game, I stay away from the internet and radio so that when i do watch it, it's live :laugh:

dee13
18-06-09, 02:31 PM
If there are 2 games I love to be on the sidelines, its The Tigers and The Warriors games.

The Warriors fans are passionate but really friendly and have alot of fun at the footy. I usually take more photos with Warriors fans than Titans fans.

Really looking forward to doing the Haka again in front of the Southern crowd. It was a very funny moment for all the fans last year.

Adelaide Titan
18-06-09, 05:57 PM
When it's a delayed game, I stay away from the internet and radio so that when i do watch it, it's live :laugh:

haha thats exactly what i do, keep away from all sources of sports news! i hate how fox sports new have the little scoreboard at the bottom corner of the screen!

patskE
18-06-09, 06:20 PM
haha thats exactly what i do, keep away from all sources of sports news! i hate how fox sports new have the little scoreboard at the bottom corner of the screen!

ahha thats all well and good till u come home to watch the replay and then ur dad saying good win 2night. argh

Adelaide Titan
18-06-09, 08:18 PM
in round 1 i had my brother "predict" the final score, at least we won.

amaline
22-06-09, 08:05 PM
Gold Coast Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers declares himself fit
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25671663-5018866,00.html

Dual international Mat Rogers has declared himself fit and raring to go in a boost to Gold Coast Titans hopes of staying high on the NRL ladder.
Titans five-eighth Rogers hasn't played for two weeks due to a rib cartilage injury but believes he'll be a certain starter against the New Zealand Warriors on Saturday at Skilled Park.

The former Wallabies utility back sustained the injury in the final minutes of the Titans' thrilling 28-24 victory over St George Illawarra, forcing him to miss their last game against Sydney Roosters in Gosford nine days ago.

“I probably could have played at a pinch if we played at the weekend, but having the bye has benefited me,” Rogers said on Monday.

“I'll be right to go on the weekend.”

Titans coach John Cartwright was more cautious, saying Rogers would be assessed later in the week but it appears he will be named in the side on Tuesday, forcing a backline reshuffle.

Preston Campbell would likely move back to fullback with William Zillman forced to the bench for the Titans, who share the NRL lead with St George Illawarra and the Bulldogs.

Rogers sat out contact work in a tough Monday training session, the club's first hit-out after a six-day mid-season break.

Injured NSW prop Luke Bailey didn't train at all but remains hopeful of returning from a small crack in his arm after having it assessed by the club doctor.

While the Titans are joint competition leaders with the Dragons and Bulldogs, Rogers said they were on guard for a major challenge from the 11th-placed Warriors.

The NZ outfit thumped the Titans 34-12 in a pre-season trial in Lismore and showed they were starting to rediscover their highly-physical game with an upset last-start win over Newcastle.

“They're big, strong and fast so it's going to be a tough game,” Rogers said.

“They've started to find a bit of form, beating Newcastle last game, so I expect they'll run out with a similar side trying to outmuscle us.”

Greg81
22-06-09, 08:39 PM
coming down from Toowoomba for the game on Sat night, really looking forward to it.

Adelaide Titan
22-06-09, 09:39 PM
good to see Matty Rogers fit, will be a massive boost for the team especially at home.

DIEHARD
23-06-09, 01:14 AM
Rogers eager to tackle Warriors
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers is hopeful of making a return from injury for Saturday?s big clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park.

Rogers missed the side?s last-start win over the Sydney Roosters with a rib injury but resumed training duties today as the Titans returned from a five-day break over the bye weekend.

Titans five-eighth Mat Rogers The dual-international said he was eager to return to the paddock this weekend after benefiting from a rest period over the bye.

?I feel like I?ve had a month off, I couldn?t wait to get back to training so the bye has worked, it?s served it?s purpose,?? said Rogers.

?I know the boys are really looking forward to this week?s game and considering I didn?t play the week before the bye I?m really keen to get on the pitch.??

To listen to the full audio interview with Rogers, click on the link Mat Rogers interivew (http://titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&aid=180)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

bigjim
23-06-09, 09:42 AM
This has to be a big game.
We're on top of the ladder with the Dragons and Bulldogs but the last three games have not been convincing.
Those three results could have easily gone the other way and we would be now sitting on 16 points just outside the eight.
Show the competition the Titans mean business and demolish the Warriors with some authority.:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
23-06-09, 10:02 AM
Those three results could have easily gone the other way and we would be now sitting on 16 points just outside the eight.

You are right, it is chilling when you put it like that. We have all been in that position over the last two seasons. Right at the foot of the 8 or just outside. Something I would love to avoid.

Show the competition the Titans mean business and demolish the Warriors with some authority.:thumbsup:

Right on Jim. We need to show some teeth. Lately we have just proved that we don't die wondering and we are blessed with the luck of the rugby league gods.

I think we are well set up to prove ourselves this weekend. The Warriors will offer us a physical challenge.

amaline
23-06-09, 02:20 PM
Teams

Titans

1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Matt White
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Brad Meyers
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Will Matthews
16. Luke O'Dwyer
17. William Zillman
18. Josh Graham
19. Daniel Conn

Warriors

1. Wade McKinnon
2. Kevin Locke
3. Patrick Ah Van
4. Joel Moon
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Lance Hohaia
7. Stacey Jones
8. Sam Rapira
9. Ian Henderson
10. Steve Price (C)
11. Simon Mannering
12. Lewis Brown
13. Micheal Luck (Vc)

Interchange:
14. Aaron Heremaia
15. Jesse Royal
16. Ben Matulino
17. Jacob Lillyman
20. Russell Packer

patskE
23-06-09, 04:06 PM
good to see conn named, him > graham but i find it hard to drop anyone else, maybe matthews?

DIEHARD
24-06-09, 01:23 AM
Gold Coast hit with double blow as Bailey, Minichiello miss more time

Comeback plans have been put on hold for Gold Coast forwards Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello in a major blow to the Titans' quest to end their NRL finals hoodoo.

Bailey and Minichiello had been expected to return from injury against the Warriors at Skilled Park on Saturday.

But Bailey has been ruled out for at least another two weeks after follow up scans on his broken arm.

And the jury is out on when Minichiello will return as he continues to battle an ankle ligament complaint suffered last month.

As a result, Titans coach John Cartwright has thrown former Newcastle player Matt White and injury-plagued forward Michael Henderson into the front row for the weekend clash.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
24-06-09, 01:36 AM
Props aim to step-up without Bailey
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans props Michael Henderson and Matt White will aim to lead from the front in the absence of Luke Bailey in Saturday?s clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park.

Bailey is expected to be sidelined for another two matches after follow-up scans of his injured right arm confirmed he had suffered a slight fracture.

After forming a successful starting front row combination in the club?s last-start win over the Sydney Roosters, Henderson said he and White were again eager to step-up against the Warriors? big pack.

?Bails is the sort of player that you can?t sort of replace, you just have to do your best to make up for him not being there,?? said Henderson.

?Us forwards are going to have our work cut out but hopefully we can turn up with a good attitude and get a good crowd out there and put on a good show.??

To listen to the full interview with Henderson click on the link Michael Henderson interview (http://titans.sportal.net.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&aid=182)

DIEHARD
24-06-09, 01:53 AM
Gates open at 3:10pm with the Under 20?s at 3:15pm, followed by Game Day TV and then the big game, the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v the New Zealand Warriors at 5:30pm

DIEHARD
24-06-09, 01:54 AM
Henderson to take on fearsome Warriors

BARNSTORMING Titans forward Michael Henderson has revealed he is not happy with his form and will use an opportunity to take on one of the biggest packs in the game as the chance to make his mark.

Henderson, who coach John Cartwright believes will eventually play Origin, gave a frank assessment of his form yesterday.

"I've been a bit inconsistent," he said. "I have a good game then I sort of lack a bit.

"The last game (against the Roosters) I had some bad handling errors which was very disappointing, so hopefully I can improve this week and keep improving all year."

The Titans pack was put through a searching field session yesterday in readiness for the Warriors, who have a fearsome bunch of forwards led by Maroon Steve Price.

With international Luke Bailey and City Origin representative Mark Minichiello injured, Cartwright said it would be the perfect opportunity for Henderson and the rest of the pack to showcase their ability.

"Bails has missed a few games recently, and we've covered up pretty well," he said.

"It's given guys more responsibility, it's given them a chance to show what they can do and another chance this week against another big physical pack."

The hard working forward is the future of the Titans after experienced frontrower Michael Hodgson moved to the Bulldogs this season where he has been in super form, while James Stosic went overseas.

Henderson admitted Bailey is irreplaceable. "You've got to do your best with him not there," he said.

"Us forwards are going to have our work cut out, but hopefully we can turn up with a good attitude.

"It's a good opportunity to step up a bit. Obviously we'll miss those guys but to be a force you've got to be able to win without the big guys."

The 24-year-old, who overcame a horrific broken leg two years ago, said he relished any opportunity to take on the Warriors.

"Every time you play the Warriors, you're a bit sore the day after, so it'll be no different this week," said Henderson. "They had a big win last match and hopefully we can nullify them early and go well."

Cartwright is wary of the Warriors, who have troubled the Titans in previous years with their size.

It is being billed as a battle of the big boppers but Cartwright has urged his players for an 80-minute performance with the ball.

"We haven't produced an 80-minute performance with the ball," he said. "Defensively we have, I think our defence has been a major improvement for us this year."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

curly_11
24-06-09, 07:18 AM
I see Bailey is out for another two weeks which is going to hurt us a bit especially against the Warriors who have a really big pack. But whats the story about Mino. The ankle injury is worse than first thought but how long until he makes his return? Maybe they are being really cautious over last year...not sure

As for who i would drop in the team to make way for conn, i would have to say henderson's form of late has been pretty touch and go. Lots of ball handling errors and not really making the metres he normally does. A few weeks in the lower grades could be just the thing he needs. I think will matthew's form has been good and apart from the non pass to presto in the broncos game he hasnt made many mistakes!

My pack at the moment would be:

8. Cannings
9 Friend
10. White
11. Laffranchi
12. O'Dwyer
13. Harrison

Bench
Myers
Conn
Matthews
Zillman (Utility)

Here's hoping henderson returns to good form this week i feel we'll need it.

TITAN PETE
24-06-09, 11:40 AM
The Warriors have too much size to even consider dropping Henderson :nope: , he played well against the Roosters but a Man of the Match performance would be nice this weekend :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
24-06-09, 12:37 PM
Ladder position means nothing: Prince
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans co-captain Scott Prince says his side?s standing on top of the NRL ladder means nothing heading into Saturday?s clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park.

The Titans sit in a strong position as equal competition leaders alongside the Dragons and Bulldogs on 22 points ahead of Saturday?s Round 16 clash against the 11th placed Warriors.

Titans halfback Scott Prince But Prince said his side?s previous form would count for little against the Warriors ? a side he believes can threaten every team in the competition when at their best.

?Being on top of the ladder at this stage means nothing, we still have to play well to get the two points,?? said Prince.

?We know the Warriors on their day can put any team away and even though they don?t travel too well, they have enormous support on the Gold Coast and we?ve just got to go out there and start really well.??

The Titans tackle the Warriors without inspirational prop Luke Bailey and hardworking backrower Mark Minichiello.

Despite the loss of the pair, Prince said the club had proven on different occasions this season that they can win without key players.

?It?s going to be a blow for the team but it?s another challenge that we?re faced with,?? he said.

?We?ve overcome a lot of those challenges this year with key players missing due to injury and winning away from home was another one.

?It?s another challenge but all the boys are raring to go and hopefully we can put in a good performance.??

kwigibo
24-06-09, 02:13 PM
The Warriors have too much size to even consider dropping Henderson :nope: , he played well against the Roosters but a Man of the Match performance would be nice this weekend :thumbsup:

The warriors' size is a myth, they have the same size pack as every other team.

Boofhead
24-06-09, 09:54 PM
Ash looks unlikely to play this weekend, looked very ginger.

8. White
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Laffranchi
12. Meyers
13. Conn

14. Cannings
15. Mathews
16. O'Dwyer
17. Zillman

Would be the go, fire up Conn - we will need you to step up bigtime here.

patskE
24-06-09, 10:26 PM
yeh n conn was best for us when he started when harrison was out lsat year. but i think u prob see dwyer going to 13.
hopefully conn gets the jump over grahman

Adelaide Titan
24-06-09, 11:01 PM
we should be alright without Bailey again, injuries havnt been a big concern for us this season coz we have a lot of depth.

eg. Scott Prince is out, Campbell takes is role and Zillman whos been great moves into full back.

no complaints!

teke
25-06-09, 12:19 AM
Whispers are there is another person who wont be playing this weekend :(

Tamwelg
25-06-09, 08:15 AM
Whispers are there is another person who wont be playing this weekend :(

Rogers? Come on Teke who is it?

DIEHARD
25-06-09, 09:20 AM
I hope Ash is ok, we need him. He was awesome for the Maroons last night.

curly_11
25-06-09, 12:34 PM
I think its rogers because i watched a thing on the news saying hes doubtful and didnt train on wednesday but will be given until kick-off. Which means most likely the team will be:

1. Zillman
2. Gordan
3. Tonga
4. Delaney
5. Walker
6. Presto
7. Prince
8. White
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Laffranchi
12. Myers
13. O'Dwyer

14. Cannings
15. Matthews
16. Graham
17. Conn

Maybe carty will throw someone else in the mix as a surprise eg mead...

patskE
25-06-09, 03:28 PM
tagatease for grahman bench spot?

dee13
25-06-09, 04:02 PM
Ash is out!!!!
This is why state of origin or any representative games should be p**sed off to post season. Stop messing with the spectacle that is the NRL Premiership.

DIEHARD
25-06-09, 04:29 PM
Harrison injured in Origin 2
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans forward Ashley Harrison has been ruled out of Saturday?s clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park after suffering a rib injury in last night?s State of Origin in Sydney.

The Queensland backrower sustained rib cartilage damage to the same rib he hurt during last year?s State of Origin series.

Queensland and Titans forward Ashley Harrison He could spend at least four weeks on the sidelines but is hopeful of returning to the paddock sooner, having missed only two matches with the same injury last year.

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright will settle on the final make-up of his side for the Warriors? clash after tomorrow?s final training session at Skilled Park.

Adelaide Titan
25-06-09, 04:47 PM
bloody hell, i say for Origin III we dont send any players out especially because the following games against the Bulldogs and Broncos will require a full strenght line up.

dee13
25-06-09, 04:51 PM
bloody hell, i say for Origin III we dont send any players out especially because the following games against the Bulldogs and Broncos will require a full strenght line up.

Now you all know why Im glad Scott Price hasn't been selected.

Adelaide Titan
25-06-09, 04:52 PM
'cause of what happened last year! that really stuffed our campaign up! QLD have it wrapped up and NSW have nothing to pay for....so stay away from the Titans

TITAN PETE
26-06-09, 10:58 AM
I was at the last training session this morning at Skilled & there are definatley changes to be made to the team announced earlier this week & Curly is nearly right but i think this may be the side

1. Zillman
2. Gordan
3. Tonga
4. Delaney
5. Mead
6. Presto
7. Prince
8. White
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Laffranchi
12. Myers
13. O'Dwyer

14. Cannings
15. Matthews
16. Graham
17. Conn

The Rat was there but he's not playing & there was no sign of Walker at training so i'd guess he's out too :(

DIEHARD
26-06-09, 11:11 AM
Be shame to see no Walker. Mead is a sterling replacement if that is the case.

The Titanium Kumul!

patskE
26-06-09, 11:53 AM
wats wrong with walker?
still a good looking side.
conn baby! would of brought taganese in for graham but

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 12:03 PM
definately not our best side but i tell ya, doesnt look so bad!
Walkers been in form, so lets hope he manages to play. I'd rather get Rogers, Harrison and Bailey fully fit before the Bulldogs game.

With the struggling Eels and Raiders over the next 2 weeks, we shouldn't slip up and secure a top 4 spot

Steve
26-06-09, 12:06 PM
wats wrong with walker?
still a good looking side.
conn baby! would of brought taganese in for graham but

Personally I'd be waiting for Tagataese to be back from injury and maybe have a couple games in the QRL before selecting him in the first grade side. If we're gonna pick injured players then we should just play Bull, Harrison and others.

DIEHARD
26-06-09, 12:20 PM
With the struggling Eels and Raiders over the next 2 weeks, we shouldn't slip up and secure a top 4 spot

Can't get complacent, we always find it tough against the lower teams. But it would be great to give another club a sound thrashing. :thumbsup:

It all comes down to INJURIES INJURIES INJURIES. The Premier will probably be a club with minimal injuries.

But look at the draw, we are a chance for a Minor Premiership. Shoot for the moon I say!

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 12:25 PM
it would be great if we got the minor premiership...but i'd settle for a top 4 spot. i think the game vs Bulldogs may decide it and also it depends on how the Dragons go.

We have plenty of home games where we dominate so lets just keep our fingers crossed!

A premiership....well lets just wait and see ;)

Titan2007
26-06-09, 12:27 PM
Just a thought to the people questioning players being chosen for rep duties. From the age of 6 years old, young rugby league players, want to play in the NRL. Well maybe not that young, but certainly from about under 9's and upwards. These kids aspire to be just like their number. If they play the number 7, they want to be like Scotty Prince, if they play the number 9, they want to be just like Friendy, and so it goes on. We all know, that out of about 200 young juniors only 2 or 3 make it into top grade (NRL). Now, say we have Johnny, gone through the junior ranks, made junior reps on the way through, gets a scholarship with an NRL club, then a contract and is signed for 3 years. All during those years of junior footy, these kids look up to their respective State of Origin number also. (Us Queenslanders know the passion and loyalty which runs through their veins. It's bred into them. ;) just thought I would add that) anyway, what I am trying to say is, ALL NRL players, play this great game not only for their club, but to represent their State and Country. It is the pinnicle of their careers. They all know, to play rugby league as a job, it is the best job in the world and to be proudly selected for their State and/or Country well, what more can I say ... :banana:

patskE
26-06-09, 12:28 PM

u still call em the eels? i thought they changed their name to Hayne

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 12:30 PM
haha, if they ever lose him, they are stuffed!

amaline
26-06-09, 01:07 PM
haha, if they ever lose him, they are stuffed!

Well, we are playing the Eels the week before Origin...

Tamwelg
26-06-09, 01:55 PM
Campbell back to halves for Warriors clash

Adam Gardini
Friday, June 26, 2009

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has again called on dynamo Preston Campbell to fill the void left by injured five-eighth Mat Rogers for tomorrow’s clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park.

With Rogers still struggling to overcome a rib cartilage injury, Campbell will switch from fullback to five-eighth with super sub William Zillman promoted from the interchange bench to fullback.

The move has proved successful at other stages this season, including the club's last-start win over the Sydney Roosters.

Preston Campbell
Titans dynamo Preston Campbell

Campbell has been one of the best for the Titans this season and currently trails hooker Nathan Friend (18 points) by just two points in the race to win this year's Paul Broughton Medal.

To listen to interviews with Preston Campbell and John Cartwright click here (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=17790)

The reshuffled line-up will also see forward Daniel Conn handed his first NRL appearance of 2009 on a new-look Titans’ bench which also includes utility Josh Graham.

Despite the enforced late changes through the loss of Rogers and Queensland Origin forward Ashley Harrison, Cartwright said his troops were well placed to handle the situation given they have done so on many other occasions in 2009.

“We’ve had a bit of experience with it this year too,’’ he said.

“There haven’t been many games where they’ve all played together in Preston, Princey (Scott Prince), Rogers and (Nathan) Friend.

“It’s been a good opportunity for when you get weeks like this.’’

The table-topping Titans will be looking to keep their unbeaten home record in-tact for 2009 against the Warriors, having won all six matches at Skilled Park this season.

www.titans.com.au

Tamwelg
26-06-09, 01:58 PM
I was at the last training session this morning at Skilled & there are definatley changes to be made to the team announced earlier this week & Curly is nearly right but i think this may be the side

1. Zillman
2. Gordan
3. Tonga
4. Delaney
5. Mead
6. Presto
7. Prince
8. White
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Laffranchi
12. Myers
13. O'Dwyer

14. Cannings
15. Matthews
16. Graham
17. Conn

The Rat was there but he's not playing & there was no sign of Walker at training so i'd guess he's out too :(

Walker had a migrain last night and was given rest according to carty in an audio interview on the Titans site.

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 02:04 PM
Well, we are playing the Eels the week before Origin...

well i guess we'll see if NSW pick their strongest squad then, if they do then no Hayne for Parramatta :D

Steve
26-06-09, 02:08 PM
I like Presto in the halves, he gets a lot more involved which only boosts the team. He's probably our best attacking weapon.

GCT_07
26-06-09, 02:17 PM
WOW... looks like we ve got a full Legion this game.... either that or they only released a few tickets.... officially now.... allocation exhausted.

So here so to putting the last pathetic game of football I watched behind us and kickin some Kiwi Butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dee13
26-06-09, 03:25 PM
Just a thought to the people questioning players being chosen for rep duties. From the age of 6 years old, young rugby league players, want to play in the NRL. Well maybe not that young, but certainly from about under 9's and upwards. These kids aspire to be just like their number. If they play the number 7, they want to be like Scotty Prince, if they play the number 9, they want to be just like Friendy, and so it goes on. We all know, that out of about 200 young juniors only 2 or 3 make it into top grade (NRL). Now, say we have Johnny, gone through the junior ranks, made junior reps on the way through, gets a scholarship with an NRL club, then a contract and is signed for 3 years. All during those years of junior footy, these kids look up to their respective State of Origin number also. (Us Queenslanders know the passion and loyalty which runs through their veins. It's bred into them. ;) just thought I would add that) anyway, what I am trying to say is, ALL NRL players, play this great game not only for their club, but to represent their State and Country. It is the pinnicle of their careers. They all know, to play rugby league as a job, it is the best job in the world and to be proudly selected for their State and/or Country well, what more can I say ... :banana:

I can say more. "Its great that kids aspire to play for their state or country. I did in my chosen sport and it was my life long dream come true. But rep footy really needs to be played at a sensible time of the year Not mid-season."

Playing for your state or country is not the issue. Its timing is.

kwigibo
26-06-09, 05:12 PM
WOW... looks like we ve got a full Legion this game.... either that or they only released a few tickets.... officially now.... allocation exhausted.

Bah, ticketek was giving me grief yesterday. Have to buy at the gate again. When are they going to expand the unreserved section?!

DIEHARD
26-06-09, 05:18 PM
Bah, ticketek was giving me grief yesterday. Have to buy at the gate again. When are they going to expand the unreserved section?!

Working on getting it ready for the Parramatta game. It's a bother but also a good problem to have, we are growing! I will keep you updated and I suggest geting your Legion tickets for Broncos and Cowboys at Skilled Park as soon as possible to avoid any drama.

See you all at the game!

GCT_07
26-06-09, 05:25 PM

My understanding from conversations last year (things might have changed since then) was that as Legion Memberships increase each year the allocated seats will also increase...... the Legion section is all based on Memberships...... Like i said.. it could have changed but thats what I remember from conversations last year. I m not quite sure if they have now included Legion on Ticketec automatically or whether they have stuck with what they were doing earlier this year which was leaving them until much closer to the game to release.

TITAN PETE
26-06-09, 06:19 PM
Walker had a migrain last night and was given rest according to carty in an audio interview on the Titans site.

Very happy to hear that :fist:

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 06:23 PM
well if he's better, wont he be able to play?

DIEHARD
26-06-09, 07:10 PM
Looks like the weather is going to clear up for the match.

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 07:13 PM
wish i could say the same for Adelaide. The game is on TV at 5pm here which is great but i have a party to go to at 6!

Good thing i have Foxtel IQ ;)

DIEHARD
26-06-09, 07:17 PM
wish i could say the same for Adelaide. The game is on TV at 5pm here which is great but i have a party to go to at 6!

Good thing i have Foxtel IQ ;)

Don't forget the Toyota Cup game at 3:15pm! That is 2 Titans games to enjoy!

Adelaide Titan
26-06-09, 07:29 PM
aaah, i actually watched them against the roosters,a good win. i'll be honest and say i dont watch much of the Toyota Cup but i sure to keep track of how the Titans are going :)

karnage
26-06-09, 08:50 PM
Both of the teams we share the lead with - The Dragons and The Dogs won pretty impressively tonight. We may be equal on points but given exposed form I think we would all agree that we are a little bit (an only a little bit) off the pace being set by these 2 clubs.

On face value it seems like a dissapointing couple of results for us but if we win and the Knights lose we will be on 24 points, 6 points clear of 5th place!!!

That would be a serious buffer with some of the very winnable games that others have mentioned in coming weeks.

The problem I have is getting ahead of myself given what has transpired over the past 2 seasons. This sort of injury drama that we are currently experiencing - Harrison, Minichello, Bailey and Rogers has been enough to sink us in previous years esecially when exacerbated by injuries to the ringleader Prince. If we lose tomorrow and pick another injury or two we might go from thinking of top 4 to fighting to stay in the 8 real quick.

I am not trying to be pessimistic, I just hope the players and management aren't thinking the same way we are and that they can all send us home happy again tomorrow night.

Tamwelg
27-06-09, 06:49 AM
Both of the teams we share the lead with - The Dragons and The Dogs won pretty impressively tonight. We may be equal on points but given exposed form I think we would all agree that we are a little bit (an only a little bit) off the pace being set by these 2 clubs.

On face value it seems like a dissapointing couple of results for us but if we win and the Knights lose we will be on 24 points, 6 points clear of 5th place!!!

That would be a serious buffer with some of the very winnable games that others have mentioned in coming weeks.

The problem I have is getting ahead of myself given what has transpired over the past 2 seasons. This sort of injury drama that we are currently experiencing - Harrison, Minichello, Bailey and Rogers has been enough to sink us in previous years esecially when exacerbated by injuries to the ringleader Prince. If we lose tomorrow and pick another injury or two we might go from thinking of top 4 to fighting to stay in the 8 real quick.

I am not trying to be pessimistic, I just hope the players and management aren't thinking the same way we are and that they can all send us home happy again tomorrow night.

Karnage

1 game at a time. Tonight we play the Warriors and yes we have some injuries, but our depth is much better this year. We will still have a good enough side to beat the Warriors tonight. The Warriors are said to be one of the most feared packs in the NRL. I haven't seen this from them for the past 2 seasons, they aren't the big strong buggers they used to be.

No point getting ahead of ourselves and working out what if we win this game and they lose this one, we can make top 4, we can drop out of the 8, etc. All I'm concerned about right now is watching the Titans beat the Warriors tonight.

Tamwelg
27-06-09, 06:50 AM
Impressive Titans team despite all the injuries

Pat McLeod

June 27th, 2009

THE pain of the past is now bearing fruit for the Titans, according to coach John Cartwright.

The ladder-topping Gold Coast may have up to five top-graders out of tonight's (5.30pm) home clash with the Warriors, but can still list an impressive line-up.

"We are now reaping the rewards of the bad times," said Cartwright, referring to the club's first two years when injuries cruelled their finals hopes.

"We probably thrust some of our players into the action earlier than we wanted to, but they are ready now."

The Titans yesterday began their last pre-game training run knowing that they would be without the injured Luke Bailey (arm), Mark Minichiello (knee) and Ashley Harrison (rib).

But by the end of that session five-eighth Mat Rogers had also been ruled out with a rib injury and winger Chris Walker was in doubt with a severe migraine.

The forced changes include William Zillman into fullback, Preston Campbell to five-eighth, Luke O'Dwyer to lock and Dan Conn onto the bench. David Mead is on standby for Walker.

"The blokes who are out are all rep-quality players and that is a major blow," said Cartwright.

"We have had a bit of experience with injury this year and we have not had many games when they (the top line-up) have all played together.

"We are fortunate to be able to bring a player like Daniel Conn in in a situation like this."

The club's increased depth this year is also exemplified by Zillman slotting in.

'Mr Versatility' Preston Campbell said he was happy to be moved where ever the coach needed him.

"I don't mind wearing the six," he said. "My role does not change a great deal, but we are lucky to have a bloke like Zilly coming in. He is quality and will do well."

www.goldcoast.com.au

Tamwelg
27-06-09, 06:51 AM
Conn keen to make a big Conn-tribution

Pat McLeod

June 27th, 2009

OUT of luck and out of favour, backrower Daniel Conn has placed a target on the NRL's most feared pack to reignite his career with the Gold Coast club.

The 23-year-old was seen as a future cornerstone with the club when he arrived for the Titans' debut season in 2007. However injury and bad luck have short-circuited his rugby league dream.

But that cursed run may end tonight with his appearance off the bench at Skilled Park against the bruising New Zealand Warriors.

"My chance has come, a little later than hoped, but you have to take them when they occur," he said.

"There will be some nice big hits. The Warriors are big and physical and you always pull up sore after playing them.

"But that is the sort of football I like. Some people play this game for the fame or the fortune. I play it for the physical confrontation.

"I love the physical aspect and that will make tomorrow more fun. I can't wait."

In fact Conn has spent all this season waiting.

After off-season shoulder surgery, the country boy from the small town of Wellington in western NSW was caught at the back of the queue for a position in the Titans top 17.

After 28 appearances for the Gold Coast across two seasons, it has taken until Round 16 for Conn to get his first start for 2009.

"It was hard to stay motivated at the start of the season," he said of being relegated to the Tweed Heads Seagulls in the Queensland Cup.

"But then I just concentrated on my footy. Things went well in the Q-Cup and we all started to play some good footy there.

"There are some very good players at that level."

In fact Conn has been in outstanding form for Seagulls, pivotal in their win over the table-topping Central Comets last weekend.

But with the Titans missing some big names Conn is keen to bring his brand of bruising defence to the main table.

"I aim to be the bloke they don't want to drop," he said.

"It will be hard when all the boys are back from injury -- someone has to miss out.

"But I am real keen to stay up here for a few weeks, earn my spot and keep it.

"Last year when we were at full strength I had my spot on the bench.

"I want to win that back and eventually force my way into the starting line-up."

Conn says he is confident he and his teammates, especially fellow-youngster Will Matthews, can out-enthuse the power-packed Warriors.

"Yes they (the Warriors) are a big pack, but if we get off our line quick I reckon we have the guys with the enthusiasm and experience to do the job."

In fact forward 'conductor' Nathan Friend has no doubt his team has the muscle to meet the Warriors head on.

"We have blokes like Matty White and Aaron Cannings who I know will make sure we don't get pushed over," said the workaholic No.9.

"But this won't just be just a physical confrontation.

"This will come down to who can endure the most pain across 80 minutes."

Coach John Cartwright said his team had concentrated this week on ensuring the Titans started well.

"That is an area we have not been good at this year," he said. "We have to be fast and chase hard."

Conn admits he is playing for more than a first grade spot tonight. Out of contract, he is still to sign anywhere for 2010.

"I am looking for a home for next year," he said.

"I am still to hear from the Titans so I am playing for my bread and butter, for my next contract. I have had a few sniffs but have decided to just concentrate on my footy."

www.goldcoast.com.au

TITAN PETE
27-06-09, 07:25 AM

Both of the co-leaders of the comp are playing very well but lets not forget we have Beaten them Both of them & the Dragons match was only a couple of weeks back so how is it we are "Off the Pace" :ugh:

As Tam said lets concentrate on this weeks match & not what may happen after round 26 ;)

GCT_07
27-06-09, 07:33 AM
I would hope to see Conn go nuts today up against that big bunch of Kiwi s. He s got to prove himself for a spot...... and hopefully today he does just that..... now... where the heck did Adam put his "Tough as Conn Crete" banner.... or have the moths got it by now

DIEHARD
27-06-09, 08:13 AM
now... where the heck did Adam put his "Tough as Conn Crete" banner.... or have the moths got it by now

Yea I have been hanging out for that to make a reappearance nearly as much as I have been hanging out for a Conn reappearance.

He will be warmly welcomed back by The Legion.

daveyk
27-06-09, 08:27 AM
i am so happy to see that conn is goin to get a run tonight...

a massive conn-crete slow chant will be in order one thinks..

please make sure that banner will be back in action... lets show conny that we are there for him in his return.

GCT_07
27-06-09, 09:44 AM
please make sure that banner will be back in action... lets show conny that we are there for him in his return.

Trying to get hold of Adam.... its in his room somewhere and I aint going through it to find it..... and with it being in titans colours its just going to blend in with everything else in there.....Adam flew down for that shameful thing that happened on Wednesday night..... infact come to think of it... thats probably why he s not answering his phone...... still drowning his sorrows:(

patskE
27-06-09, 10:19 AM
i hope conn impress's and get a new contract.

GCT_07
27-06-09, 10:22 AM
Ok... dont fear... I have it........ Spoke to Adam and he didnt even know where it had been put ......it has been a while......so i did what all mothers should NEVER do..... I went into his room to find it....... THANK GOD I found it within the first 30 seconds........ lol.. the benifit of having a son that is always organised...... he might not have known where it was but he was organised when he did put it away..... phewwwwww

Tough As Conn Crete.......... so it looks like I will be ditchin Matty s Master Splinter one today and Cheerin 'The Conn' ...... I promise Matty..... the second you are back on field.... Master Splinter will return....lol

patskE
27-06-09, 10:32 AM
man i dnt think i been this excited for a game since game 1.
cant wait to see conn, just love watching him play.

Steve
27-06-09, 11:40 AM
This is a must win match!
I consider every game in a must win from here on in. We need to stay with the break away group, because there's a big pack not far behind fighting desperately for a finals berth. We need it beyond doubt.

The Warriors are always dangerous and yeah, there's more kiwis on the coast than in NZ so it'll be a huge crowd.

I think despite the injuries we should do okay. We're much better prepared for it now than we have in the past.

Titan2007
27-06-09, 12:25 PM
I can say more. "Its great that kids aspire to play for their state or country. I did in my chosen sport and it was my life long dream come true. But rep footy really needs to be played at a sensible time of the year Not mid-season."

Playing for your state or country is not the issue. Its timing is.

Yes I understand that, but a couple were saying that they would prefer NO players from the Titans should get picked for rep sides because they could get injured and that would be a disaster for the team. It doesnt matter when the game is played, if there is going to be injuries, there will be, even in Club games throughout the season proper. Look at Bailey, Mini, Rodgers, Red. For years SOO has been played mid season, players injured. When that has happened, the Club then replaces these players with their shadow player/new kid on the block. It's all good. Most clubs have depth in the ranks and the Titans are one of those clubs this year.
Titans to win today by 10! ;)

DIEHARD
27-06-09, 01:10 PM
Im heading off now. See you all there. I have spent the morning making a tribute to Michael Jackson which I will show off at the game. ONE LOVE TO MJ!

AND GO THE GOLD COAST! :thumbsup:

Adelaide Titan
27-06-09, 01:45 PM
i'll certaintly be looking out for that on TV mate. Less than 3 hours to go now, looking forward to the game.

CARN THE TITANS!!! :D

amaline
27-06-09, 02:13 PM
I went to the TAB to put some money on first try scorer. No Gordon in the list. They didn't have Kevin Locke for the Warriors either, though Denan Kemp was in there. So I put my money on Friend. :D

Capital_Shark
27-06-09, 05:18 PM
I went to the TAB to put some money on first try scorer. No Gordon in the list. They didn't have Kevin Locke for the Warriors either, though Denan Kemp was in there. So I put my money on Friend. :D

We both lost on the FTS market. I had Hohaia @ $20 and he came within INCHES. :doh:

Titans gonna go on with this one though. Warriors are woeful, I don't know whats happened with them but they got serious problems.

amaline
27-06-09, 06:39 PM
We both lost on the FTS market. I had Hohaia @ $20 and he came within INCHES. :doh:

Titans gonna go on with this one though. Warriors are woeful, I don't know whats happened with them but they got serious problems.

Lucky Gordon didn't score first. I would have been pretty annoyed.

Paul
27-06-09, 07:48 PM
Lucky Gordon didn't score first. I would have been pretty annoyed.

Me too. I have bet him for first tryscorer every game except today.

I said to someone(Wade I think) when mead got the intercept that Gordon would do the same and the second half he did it. Ialso said we'd win by 20....so close

karnage
27-06-09, 07:49 PM
YES!!!!

If ever we needed confirmation that the Titans of '09 are a different class to the past couple of years tonight was it. To perform like that against the Warriors without Bailey, Rogers, Mini, Harro (for the whole game) and O'Dwyer for most of the second half was awesome!!!

Talk about having speed to burn on the wings. And didn't those boys do some work coming out of our own end. I reckon Walker's headache might be even worse after that game than it was before;)

And seriously - how good did it feel to enjoy the end of the game knowing the points were in the bag. It is the first time that has happened since we smoked the Knights in Rd 1.

teke
27-06-09, 08:26 PM
Titans let fly...Speed to burn in the backs.

It was great to see Dave "Titanium Kumul" get in the open and play a game that i have been preaching he can. It may not have been enough to oust the in form Walker but dam it was impressive.

Steve
27-06-09, 09:15 PM
I'm liking our backs at the moment. :D
I reckon we're especially dangerous with Presto in the halves. Zillman was sensational from the back, and our wingers... :D

According to the courier mail/NRL, that was Mark Zillman at fullback, anyone know who he is? Is he related to William? Did we get two for the price of one?

Was great to get a decent win under our belts, not just scraping in, against a dangerous team too.

I've thought that Prince hasn't been in his best form, but if tonight is anything to go by he's getting into it again. Laffranchi scores tries when Prince is going well, and its Prince's passing game that gives our wingers the room they need.

Paul
27-06-09, 09:32 PM
I thought Friend was our best in an all round brilliant team display. His pass for Boofs try was absolutely sublime and his defence is just awe inspiring. I noticed a few times tonight alone that he was our final defender and saved at least 2/3 certain tries with his attitude to get there and tackle. he's just absolutely amazing. You can keep your Cameron smiths and Robbie Farahs,We have the best number 9 in the NRL imo

Both wingers were also amazing both in defence (which people rarely take notice of) and attack which is devastating

Zillman was a handful for the warriors all night

Fantastic to see Conn back and playing really well

Just an all round great performance and when you consider we had 5/6 players out it was even more outstanding

The warriors were never ever in the game.We had complete control and it was nice to once dominate a team for a full 80 minutes

Oh and the legion made so much noise tonight,we should be as proud of ourselves as well as our players

eelectrica
27-06-09, 10:10 PM
Important win for the Titans. Especially with the upcoming draw.

Raiders in Canberra next week, always a tough game down there.
Then Parra on Monday night - OK, hate to say it but that should be an easy win.
Then comes the tough part
Canterbury on the following Friday night.
Parra on Monday Then Cantebury on Friday How the hell did that happen?! Oh and there's this little game on the Wednesday someone in the NRL may have heard of - Origin 3.

Followed by the Broncos and Cowboys.

Really gotta win these next two because from there it gets very tough.

DIEHARD
27-06-09, 11:44 PM
Titans unbeatable at home

Skilled Park claimed another victim as the Gold Coast maintained their unbeaten home record and a share of the NRL premiership lead by touching up the Warriors 28-12 on Saturday.

Wingers David Meade and Kevin Gordon celebrated with two tries each.

Despite having Origin representatives Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison watching from the sidelines, along with dual international Mat Rogers and Mark Minichiello, plus late withdrawal Chris Walker (migraine headache), the Titans had too much attacking speed for the clumsy Warriors who fell back into bad old habits of pushing passes and taking poor last tackle options.

It was the Titans seventh successive win at their Skilled Park fortress and they remain unbeaten at home this season, along with the Bulldogs.

Mead, an exciting young winger tipped for big things after making his international debut for PNG in last year's World Cup, bagged two tries after being called up late to replace Walker.

He stretched out and planted to ball to claim his first try in the first half following some slick passing from his inside backs before being the beneficiary of massive Scott Prince cut out pass that allowed him to stroll over for his second soon after half time.

Prince spotted Mead all on his lonesome on the right wing.

While his cut-out pass didn't reach the young winger on the full, it bounced up like it was on a string for him to score untouched.

His second try gave the Titans a commanding 22-2 lead before the Warriors finally found their way to the try line through a sidestepping Lance Hohaia in the 49th minute.

Not to be outdone, "Flash" Gordon, the quickest player in the club, pulled of an intercept in the 65th minute, his try slamming the door on any comeback by the Warriors by pushing the score out to 28-6.

Titans prop Michael Henderson showed plenty of courage taking the field in the second half after fracturing his thumb early in the game.

Mark Zillman, who came into the Titans starting line-up to allow fullback Preston Campbell to shift to five-eighth, excited fans with several zig-zagging bursts.

It took a desperate tackle from Warriors fullback Wade McKinnon to stop him scoring in the 19th minute.

The Warriors grabbed a late consolation try when second-rower Lewis Brown crashed through Brett Delaney and Brad Meyers to make it 28-12.

Veteran half Stacey Jones almost scored soon after but lost the ball close to the line when wiped out in a tackled by Titans prop Meyers.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary with disappointed with his player's execution and failure to finish off a number of opportunities.

"Our execution was pretty bad," said Cleary who will keep his players in camp on the Gold Coast to prepare for next weekend's clash with Brisbane.

"Their two 100 metre intercept tries didn't help.

"The first one was a gift, the second was a good read a big play."

Titans coach John Cartwright only told Gordon on Saturday morning he was playing after Walker was not 100 per cent.

"He's been scoring a heap of tries in the Queensland Cup and I've been busting to give him another chance (in the NRL," said Cartwright.

"Their tries were no flukes, they work hard at it at training."

Cartwright was also please with confident game of stand-in fullback William Zillman who made several dangerous breaks in open play.

"It's tough coming back from one knee reconstruction, but he's had two," said a pleased Cartwright.

"He handling the ball more and getting better with each game."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au

Adelaide Titan
27-06-09, 11:46 PM
if we can at least win our 2 home games of our next 4 that would be great but if the Titans want the minor premiership they really need to push to get all 4 wins especially against the Bulldogs (unless they get more points stripped for some reason :P ) then we'll be laughing. If the Titans win next week in Canberra, i'll be very happy!

tonight showed we are an improved side compared to last season, we arenlt fading away and can still play awesome with a depleted squad.

Zillman, Mean, Gordon, Princey and Friend were great tonight, infact the whole team were!

i manged to watch an hour of it and get the rest on Sportal Scoreboard :D

GO YOU TITANS!!! :D

patskE
27-06-09, 11:58 PM
"Titans coach John Cartwright only told Gordon on Saturday morning he was playing after Walker was not 100 per cent."
do they mean mead?

Adelaide Titan
28-06-09, 12:05 AM
i would think so, im pretty sure Mead was a late inclusion considering Gordon's become a regular

DIEHARD
28-06-09, 12:05 AM
"Titans coach John Cartwright only told Gordon on Saturday morning he was playing after Walker was not 100 per cent."
do they mean mead?

Yea and they called William Zillman, Mark!

My comments on this fantastic game tomorrow. I'm so tired.

Adelaide Titan
28-06-09, 12:07 AM
im tired also as i was at a party...

Mark Zillman haha, at least they got the score correct!

what was tonights attendance?

DIEHARD
28-06-09, 12:35 AM
Young guns inspire depleted Gold Coast Titans to big win over Warriors

Skilled Park claimed another victim as the Gold Coast maintained their unbeaten home record and a share of the NRL premiership lead by beating the Warriors 28-12.

Wingers David Meade and Kevin Gordon celebrated with two tries each.

Despite having Origin representatives Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison watching from the sidelines, along with Mat Rogers, Mark Minichiello and Chris Walker (migraine headache), the Titans had too much attacking speed for the clumsy Warriors who fell back into bad old habits of pushing passes and taking poor last tackle options.

It was the Titans seventh successive win at their Skilled Park.

Mead, an exciting young winger tipped for big things after making his international debut for PNG in last year's World Cup, bagged two tries after being called up late to replace Walker.

He stretched out and planted to ball to claim his first try in the first half following some slick passing from his inside backs, before being the beneficiary of massive Scott Prince cut out pass that allowed him to stroll over for his second soon after half-time.

Prince spotted Mead all on his lonesome on the right win, and while his cut-out pass didn't reach the young winger on the full, it bounced up like it was on a string for him to score untouched.

His second try gave the Titans a commanding 22-2 lead before the Warriors finally found their way to the try line through a sidestepping Lance Hohaia in the 49th minute.

Not to be outdone, Gordon, the quickest player in the club, pulled of an intercept in the 65th minute, his try slamming the door on any comeback by the Warriors by pushing the score out to 28-6.

Titans prop Michael Henderson showed plenty of courage taking the field in the second half after fracturing his thumb early in the game.

William Zillman, who came into the Titans starting line-up to allow fullback Preston Campbell to shift to five-eighth, excited fans with several zig-zagging bursts.

It took a desperate tackle from Warriors winger Kevin Locke to stop him scoring in the 19th minute.

The Warriors grabbed a late consolation try when second-rower Lewis Brown crashed through Brett Delaney and Brad Meyers to make it 28-12.

Veteran half Stacey Jones almost scored soon after but lost the ball close to the line when wiped out in a tackled by Titans prop Meyers.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary with disappointed with his player's execution and failure to finish off a number of opportunities.

?Our execution was pretty bad,'' said Cleary who will keep his players in camp on the Gold Coast to prepare for next weekend's clash with Brisbane.

?Their two 100 metre intercept tries didn't help.

?The first one was a gift, the second was a good read a big play.''

Titans coach John Cartwright only told Meade on Saturday morning he was playing after Walker was not 100 per cent.

?He's been scoring a heap of tries in the Queensland Cup and I've been busting to give him another chance (in the NRL),'' said Cartwright.

?Their tries were no flukes, they work hard at it at training.''

Cartwright was also pleased with confident game of stand-in fullback Zillman who made several dangerous breaks in open play.

?It's tough coming back from one knee reconstruction, but he's had two,'' said Cartwright.

?He handling the ball more and getting better with each game.''

http://www.foxsports.com.au

amaline
28-06-09, 06:08 AM
Both wingers were also amazing both in defence (which people rarely take notice of) and attack which is devastating

I noticed that. There were a few times where Mead or Gordon rushed up and shut down plays. They were both awesome last night.

TITAN PETE
28-06-09, 07:19 AM
That was another great win by the boys with a few outstanding performances from Friend,Zillman & Mead but i thought Henderson & White were brilliant when they were on the park :fist:

Some of these stats look pretty good for metres gained even if it does include a couple of intercepts

Zillman 9 runs (182m)
Gordon 11 runs (179m)
Mead 12 runs (190m)
Henderson 16 runs (145m) , Thats impressive against one of the Biggest pack of forwards in the NRL :salute:

I hope Chalky's injury isn't too serious but he didn't look good as he went straight up the tunnel :nope:

Tamwelg
28-06-09, 07:21 AM
That was another great win by the boys with a few outstanding performances from Friend,Zillman & Mead but i thought Henderson & White were brilliant when they were on the park :fist:

Some of these stats look pretty good for metres gained even if it does include a couple of intercepts

Zillman 9 runs (182m)
Gordon 11 runs (179m)
Mead 12 runs (190m)
Henderson 16 runs (145m) , Thats impressive against one of the Biggest pack of forwards in the NRL :salute:

I hope Chalky's injury isn't too serious but he didn't look good as he went straight up the tunnel :nope:

Add to that Aaron Cannings 106m from 12 runs.

Paul
28-06-09, 07:47 AM
do they mean mead?

After Mead scored his second a big picture of Kevin Gordon came up on the screen as the tryscorer,Pretty unforgivable at your home ground :fist: :doh:

Massive_Weno
28-06-09, 09:36 AM
Firstly what a fantastic win. It has been awesome to see the boys playing so well this year and was a brilliant glimpse into the future last night seeing gordon and mead on the wings.

[QUOTE=Steve;252325]According to the courier mail/NRL, that was Mark Zillman at fullback, anyone know who he is? Is he related to William? Did we get two for the price of one?QUOTE]

Mark Zillman is Williams father. Played in the qld cup in the 70's and 80's.

C'mon the Titans lets continue our march into september!

patskE
28-06-09, 09:40 AM
anyone else feel mead intercept try would of been a vatuvi steamroll try if walker was playing?
thats wat i love about love players, they back emself, mead with the intercept, and gordan with his amazing reads in defense.
i sorta got the feeling the way walker plays he would of held back and tryed to tackle manu.

Steve
28-06-09, 09:44 AM
im tired also as i was at a party...

Mark Zillman haha, at least they got the score correct!

what was tonights attendance?

It was just over 20,000 if memory serves.

Tamwelg
28-06-09, 09:47 AM

Spot on Steve 20031

Tamwelg
28-06-09, 09:51 AM
A win is a win and I am rapped that we got the 2 points and showed glimpses of what we are capable of. I don't quite share the same feelings as some who have posted, that is was a fantastic win. We still missed 40 tackles, conceded 8 penalties and made 15 errors. It's great we are winning, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. If we can duplicate the first 40mins against the Dragons last time we played them, we will be unstoppable.

Steve
28-06-09, 09:59 AM
A win is a win and I am rapped that we got the 2 points and showed glimpses of what we are capable of. I don't quite share the same feelings as some who have posted, that is was a fantastic win. We still missed 40 tackles, conceded 8 penalties and made 15 errors. It's great we are winning, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. If we can duplicate the first 40mins against the Dragons last time we played them, we will be unstoppable.

That's definitely a lot of room for improvement, and I'll put some of our missing forwards who are real workhorses. But in football, like all aspects of life, even if we played a 'perfect' game there's room for improvement. I think most were pleased to see our attack actually fire for once and not scrape in a win by the skin of our teeth.

Combine our Dragons first half with the attacking flare we've been waiting to see and we'll finally hand some poor team a flogging. Something we need to be capable of doing come September.

DIEHARD
28-06-09, 11:25 AM
Titans post match press conference
Jason Sintome

Just minutes after full time had sounded, the nations rugby league reporters spoke to Titans coach John Cartwright and Co-Captain Scott Prince about their courageous win against the New Zealand Warriors.

Post match Presser (http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans/188623)

Ryan
28-06-09, 12:35 PM

18,000 of them were Kiwi's.....

I agree with Tamwelg, we should have done them by 40+, still heaps to improve on.
Mead was safe as houses all game, he's got everything over Walker and should keep his spot IMO. Our back three were awsome, Gordon, Mead and Zillman. Henderson and Cannings made up for Baileys absence too, they both had blinders.

DIEHARD
28-06-09, 01:37 PM
The Titans website now does LIVE scores....

80:00 - The Titans hold off a final assault from the Warriors and the Ref blows his whistle for full time. The Titans are victorious winning Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 28 - New Zealand Warriors 12.

78:22 - The Warriors on the last look to spread it wide, but Brown gets put under pressure and makes a forward pass. High fives all around for the Titans.

76:18 - The Warriors on a bit of a roll as Lewis Brown makes a good run and off loads to Jones, but as he gets tackled the ball pops out. That just sums up the night for the Warriors.

73:00 - CONVERSION WARRIORS - Kevin Locke adds the extras. Jetstar Gold Coast Ttans 28 - New Zealand Warriors 12.

72:02 - Warriors TRY WARRIORS - Lewis Brown gets a quick ball from first receiver and he spins out of the tackle and scores. Good try there, but I?m sure it?s a little too late. Jetstar Gold Coast 28 - New Zealand Warriors 10.

67:12 - CONVERSION TITANS ? Scott Prince adds the extras. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 28 - New Zealand Warriors 6.

66:44 - Titans TRY TITANS ? Just as the Warriors were looking good, Jones makes a long pass and Kevin Gordon intercepts it and runs 85m to score. There was no chance to chase him down there. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 26 - New Zealand Warriors 6.

64:00 - A good chance for the Warriors as William Zillman knocks on 20m out from the Warriors try line. Can the Warriors make it count?

60:33 - The Warriors this time are looking dangerous by creating some opportunities, as they try to keep the ball alive, but Jacob Lillyman looks to off load, but knocks on. No luck for the visitors.

56:57 - The Titans make a brilliant run up the field and Preston Campbell has a free look at the try line, but Kevin Locke saves the day, from a wonderful desperate tackle that dislodges the ball from Campbell.

53:07 - The Warriors down their side of the field and Wade McKinnon hits it up and the ball pops out. The Titans get a scrum 20m from their try line. A good chance here.

50:00 - TRY WARRIORS ? a good set play from a scrum and Ah Van makes a inside pass to a flying Lance Hohaia and he bulges over the line and scores. The Warriors are back. The kick is wide. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 22 - New Zealand Warriors 6

46:18 - CONVERSION TITANS ? the Titans are looking very good here at Skilled Park and Prince kicks the extras. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 22 - New Zealand Warriors 2.

45:32 - TRY TITANS ? The Warriors are under extreme pressure. The Titans playing the ball from dummy half get it to Price and he makes a long pass and it bounces into David Mead?s hands and scores. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 20 - New Zealand Warriors 2

42:04 - The Titans make a good steady set of six, but it wasn?t something to get the Warriors worried.

40:01 - The Titans kick off the second half and we are under away. Will the Warriors come back or will the Titans take the game away?

40:00 - The ref calls half time and the Titans go back to the sheds with a lot on confidence. But the Warriors will need to regroup and try to step it up.

37:52 - The Warriors on their best chance of the night pass it to the little general and he puts in a nice chip kick over the try line, but Vatuvei tries to pat the ball back, but it goes forward.

33:57 - TRY TITANS ? The Warriors looking dangerous, but David Mead read the pass well and intercepts and runs 95m to score, the Warriors couldn?t catch up. Prince kicks the conversion. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 16 - New Zealand Warriors 2.

29:18 - The Warriors look to hit back on the 30m line, but they kick high and Tonga takes a easy catch.

26:47 - TRY TITANS ? the Warriors in trouble here as, the Titans step up a gear. Kevin Gordon gets a nice pass on the wing and he dives in the corner and scores. He showed strength and speed there. Jetstar Gold Coast Titan 10 - New Zealand Warriors 2.

23:23 - The Warriors under the pump, as the Titans are 10m out and they receive a penalty.

21:36 - CONVERSION TITANS ? Scott Prince makes no mistake. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 6 - New Zealand Warriors 2.

20:56 - TRY TITANS - What a brilliantly set up try, the coach will be happy with that. Friend at dummy half 5m out, makes a freaky dummie, then makes a hole and then passes to Laffranchi and he scores. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 4 - New Zealand Warriors 2

15:02 - PENALTY WARRIORS - The Warriors looking good, as they are 10m out, but the Titans are penalized for being offside. Price points to the posts and Kevin Locke nails the kick. Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 0 - New Zealand Warriors 2.

12:46 - The Warriors looking good, as they are 20m out and Steve Price makes a very good run, stepping wide and offloads to Vatuvei, they keep it alive then they knock it on. Scrum Titans.

09:42 - The Titans making some good metres and on the last they get it to Prince and he puts up a bomb, but Vatuvei makes a brilliant catch on the full over the try line and they restart 20m out.

06:01 - Titans looking dangerous as Preston Campbell kicks the deep and the ball hits the posts and under pressure Wade McKinnon comes along and scoops the ball with one hand and hits it up. Brilliantly done.

02:17 - The Titans on the last hand it to Prince and he kicks, but Lewis Brown charges down and Joel Moon goes to pick the ball up, but he knocks it on. Unlucky for the Warriors.

00:01 - Kevin Locke kicks off the game for the Warriors.

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors LIVE SCORES
Sat 27 Jun 5:30 PM AEST @ Skilled Park
Live scores and commentary from 5:30pm

Paul
28-06-09, 01:43 PM
Special mention to Dee last night as well. When he was on the fence with some kids on the eastern side and someone kicked for touch,the ball nearly hit him and he threw a pretend tantrum which had us all in hysterics. Then when he got in front of sec 30 he chased the cheerleaders lol:D

Rage
28-06-09, 05:26 PM
Walker's position safe: Cartwright

By Wayne Heming AAP Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:05:15

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has dismissed any thoughts of dumping experienced winger Chris Walker to accommodate the NRL club's latest speed sensation David Mead.

Mead lit up Skilled Park with a sizzling performance in the Titans' 28-12 win over the Warriors on Saturday night.

Earmarked by PNG coach Adrian Lam as a future NRL star after making his international debut as a teenager for the Kumuls in last year's World Cup, Mead stepped in late for Walker (migraine) and grabbed two tries, including a spectacular 90-metre first half intercept.

Mead and Kevin Gordon, another young flyer, scored four of the Titans five tries, displaying the same raw pace that launched Walker's career at Broncos a decade ago and won him State of Origin selection before he went off the rails.

While excited by the potential of 20 year-old Mead and 19-year-old Gordon - the two fastest players in the club - Cartwright said Walker's wing spot was not in jeopardy at the moment.

The Titans threw Walker, who has scored six tries this season, a lifeline in 2007 when he was looking to re-ignite his career after stints with Melbourne and the Roosters.

"It's not a good thing for morale (to do that)," said Cartwright when asked if Mead would keep his place in the wing.

"Walks (Walker) would have played tonight if I had let him.

"He's done a great job for us from day one this year and he doesn't deserve to lose his spot.

"We're just very fortunate we've got guys there of Dave's (Mead) character.

"We've got a few injuries so we'll just have to wait and see."

Mead, from Lismore on the NSW north coast, rejected an offer from the Roosters to stay with Titans for less money and his future looks secure.

The victory was the Titans' seventh straight at their Robina fortress and keeps them on top of the ladder alongside the Bulldogs and Dragons and well placed for an historic finals appearance at the end of the year.

"We need to focus on our away record especially if we want to be talking finals footy later down the track ," said Titans captain Scott Prince.

The Titans took the field against the Warriors with five key players - Mat Rogers, Luke Bailey, Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello and Walker - all out injured.

Utility Luke O'Dwyer will have scans over the weekend after suffering an ankle injury.

Adelaide Titan
28-06-09, 09:37 PM
If the Titans have room for improvement then the rest of the comp better watch out. A penalty last night cost us 2 early points but a great 10-15 min run sealed the game for us. The only concern is the injuries to Henderson and O'Dwyer, how long can we take it? But we should have some gund back this week against the Raiders.

titanstattman
28-06-09, 10:16 PM
If the Titans have room for improvement then the rest of the comp better watch out. A penalty last night cost us 2 early points but a great 10-15 min run sealed the game for us. The only concern is the injuries to Henderson and O'Dwyer, how long can we take it? But we should have some gund back this week against the Raiders.

We going to have heaps of room after each game IMO every game ppl say the same thing... Wat team doesnt have room for improvement???

And as u said they beter watch out cause as the year goes on we will be growing nd growing and ppl than might stand up and notice.....

patskE
28-06-09, 11:40 PM
hendo seems to be ruled out due to that broken thumb.
push meyers back to front row? or give that vave kid a go? soz on spelling

curly_11
29-06-09, 07:22 AM
Wouldnt mind seeing Vave getting a run but there are players in front of him eg Thompson...chance bailey will now play if scans come back positive because of the loss of henderson.

I cant wait for mead to get another run because i really think hes got a future. Dont see Shannon Walker getting much of a chance next year either unless he improves dramatically in defence and set the Q Cup alight again...

DIEHARD
29-06-09, 10:11 AM
We going to have heaps of room after each game IMO every game ppl say the same thing... Wat team doesnt have room for improvement???

I think it is something most teams don't and can't do. Including the majority of teams I have followed over the years, when I say teams, I mean yearly lineups.

Most teams are handicapped by their ability and talent and depth. We have heaps of talent and ability that hasn't reached a high water mark. We have heaps of back up that can replace most positions satisfactory. We also can move players through the 1-13 to hardly break stride. Example, Preston to 6 and Zillman to 1. How many teams can do that? Most would be green with envy.

We don't have to have any players playing the part of any makeshift halves or hookers or fullbacks, which we see all the time in the league.

I think people are right to say we have so much improvement left in us. But it is up to the team itself to reach it's potential.

DIEHARD
29-06-09, 11:03 AM
Replay just starting on Fox Sports 2!

Steve
29-06-09, 11:18 AM
I think the position we're in with depth won't last. We've got a few elder players who'll be retiring in the next few years, and I'd say a lot of the youngsters are staying on with the club because of the promise of first grade to come. Once those youngsters are first graders in their own right it may be harder to keep the next batch at the club, it won't be 2 or 3 years they have to wait for a shot at the top grade.

DIEHARD
29-06-09, 11:24 AM
Boof just scored, brilliant, saw the Legion go off in celebration. But damn I am spewing hearing all these bloody Kiwis booing our Prince in our home ground as h converts. :mad:

Adelaide Titan
29-06-09, 02:21 PM
Stuff those Kiwis, we won :D

bigjim
29-06-09, 03:29 PM
This has to be a big game.
We're on top of the ladder with the Dragons and Bulldogs but the last three games have not been convincing.

That's what I was talking about.
There was little for the opposition to complain about. The were beaten fair and square.
There the sort of games that earn a club respect.
Well done boys. Can't wait for the full team to be on the paddock.

DIEHARD
30-06-09, 10:58 AM
From The View Round 16

Didn?t see that coming:

The emergence of three exciting young talents in the Titans backline seems to have caught everyone by surprise. William Zillman proved that the Titans lose nothing when Preston Campbell is shifted to five-eighth to cover for Mat Rogers. He made nine runs for a gain of 182 metres against the Warriors on Saturday night, which included four tackle busts and two line breaks. He has been one of the buys of the season since arriving from Canberra in 2009. Meanwhile, two players who, it is fair to say, were not at the forefront of John Cartwright?s mind at the start of the season - Kevin Gordon and David Mead ? produced two-try performances on the wings. Gordon ran for 179 metres and made three tackle breaks, one line break and scored two tries against the Warriors. Mead, making his NRL debut, also crossed for a double. Their performances are sure to have regular first-graders like Chris Walker on his toes, and confirmed that the Titans are acquiring some good depth in just their third season of NRL football.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au