PDA

View Full Version : Chris Walker in frame to replace Justin Hodges in Queensland Origin side

Tamwelg
12-06-09, 08:32 AM
Chris Walker in frame to replace Justin Hodges in
Queensland Origin side

Matt Marshall | June 12, 2009 12:00am

MAROONS selectors have added Chris Walker's name to their shortlist of likely suitors for the vacant backline position.

Walker's stunning rebirth at the Titans has placed the proven Origin gamebreaker in a hot five-man race to replace injured Broncos star Justin Hodges.

It is understood Cowboys centre Willie Tonga remains the frontrunner with teammate Ash Graham, boom Panther Maurice Blair and veterans Walker and Wendell Sailor also in the mix.

While Queensland's only headache is a welcome selection puzzle, NSW were yesterday dealt a major blow ahead of Game Two on June 24 with confirmation Luke Bailey will be sidelined for two to four weeks.

Bailey, who initially broke his right arm in April, will require follow-up X-rays after suffering a fresh crack last Monday night.

With the Blues team to be named in three days, the injury will rub Bailey out of Origin II in Sydney.

Last night, Walker, 29, labelled as humbling the mere prospect of snapping a seven-year Origin exodus, after scoring four tries in six games from 2001-02. But he stated he won't get his hopes up and will instead knuckle down ahead of tomorrow night's game against former club the Roosters in Gosford.

"If it did happen that would be an absolute honour and privilege and something I would always cherish for the rest of my life," Walker told The Courier-Mail. "I've always said playing Origin is the ultimate goal but I'm not getting my hopes up.

"I definitely don't think I'm a certainty but I am playing good football. If it happens, it happens. Back in 2002 I was a young and immature player and person. If I got the opportunity again I would take the camp and the game for what it is."

Walker and Sailor remain "smokys" but their credentials will be boosted should Mal Meninga's brains trust opt to shift Israel Folau into the centres.

Should the Maroons opt to leave their back three unchanged, Tonga, Graham and Blair will be lead candidates.

Earlier this week, Maroons assistant Neil Henry tossed Graham's name back into the mix alongside his fellow charge Tonga, while selector Allan Smith will also run the rule over Blair in the Panthers' clash against Manly.

Maroons legend Tony Currie, who played 13 Origin games and seven Tests, believes Tonga has earned the nod.

"For my money it's lay-down Tonga. It's a no issue," he said. "He had good form leading into the first game but Hodges was the incumbent.

"Tonga deserves it. He knows what needs to be done. He's been there, done that.

"He has a club combination with Johnathan Thurston.

"He plays left centre so people put him just in that basket, but I'd like to think Willie is a good enough athlete to swap sides. Every centre in the game can.

"All he has to do is aim up defensively and let Israel Folau, JT and Greg Inglis weave their magic."

The Courier Mail

GCT_89
12-06-09, 11:53 AM
.....didnt see that coming......
shouldnt be a worry though, Dell will prob get it before walker....im glad to see it not bothering him and him just sticking to the upcoming game.....

DIEHARD
12-06-09, 02:25 PM
I've heard a good few people in the media push for Chris. He msot likely won't be recalled, but it is a credit to him indeed.