PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast United

daveyk
07-06-09, 06:34 PM
was just wondering if anyone is planning on attending the upcoming games at skilled park?

Tuesday 23rd June Vs North Qld Fury

Wednesday 8th July Vs Fulham (English Premier League)

GCT_89
07-06-09, 09:06 PM
didnt know about the fury one......ill get back to you about that one.....
either give you some money or what ever......soccer=full reserve seating, so everyone has to buy together.....

kwigibo
07-06-09, 09:28 PM
I thought the Fury game was cancelled.

TITAN PETE
08-06-09, 07:59 AM
was just wondering if anyone is planning on attending the upcoming games at skilled park?

Tuesday 23rd June Vs North Qld Fury

Wednesday 8th July Vs Fulham (English Premier League)

I'm going to the Fulham match

GCT_89
08-06-09, 10:43 AM
Nth Qld Fury furious with GC Utd
Jim Morton | 4th June 2009

GOLD Coast United have ensured they will have two bitter Queensland A-League rivalries after controversially pulling out of a pre-season trial with fellow expansion club North Queensland in Cairns.

Fury was an apt nickname for the Townsville-based club as North Queensland officials blasted the Coast's "disgraceful, short-sighted" decision to cancel the regional June 20 trial on Thursday.

The shock withdrawal has guaranteed the NQ-Coast rivalry will be every bit as heated and intense as the hostilities between the Coast and neighbours Brisbane Roar.

The Fury were quick to take aim at United's reputation as the A-League's new big spenders after being given little reason for pulling out of the Cairns trial, except that it was "board decision".

Coast owner Clive Palmer will fly United to New Caledonia and Asia in his own private jet for a four-game, 12-day tour from June 23, arriving home three days before the July 8 clash with Fulham.

Club chief executive Clive Mensink reasoned an extra trip to Cairns was going to add too much stress and strain to United's players.

But that cut little mustard with NQFC chairman Don Matheson.

"I just can't figure out the Gold Coast decision, maybe all three of the board's jets were in for service that week," Matheson said.

"There's just nothing about this that makes any sense, the FFA wants and encourages the clubs to grow the game by taking quality games to regional centres across the country.

"Having a Queensland team pull out of a game that would have helped strengthen support for football in Queensland is short-sighted."

Fury chief executive Dean Hassell said his club had worked for months behind the scenes to take the game to Cairns and the FFA had also attempted to make the Coast stick to the original agreement.

"I was told late last week that the Gold Coast was no longer interested in playing the match and that nothing would change that as it was a `board decision', I didn't know they even had a board," Hassell said.

Mensink defended the decision, saying while negotiations for the unconfirmed match had dragged on dates for United's overseas trip had altered.

"There's no malice from us," he said.

"We just had to make a decision to ensure the players weren't being too stressed or strained because we had a long trip ahead of us."

Gold Coast have moved another "regional" pre-season encounter against Central Coast from Lismore to Skilled Park on July 18 to give local fans an extra chance to see them in action.

Source: AAP

GCT_89
08-06-09, 10:51 AM
Fury date confirmed for Tuesday June 23rdFriday
5 June 2009

CHAIRMAN of Gold Coast United, Professor Clive F Palmer, today acknowledged North Queensland Fury’s acceptance of his open invitation to reschedule the proposed pre-season match between the two clubs to Skilled Park, and has locked in June 23rd for the clash.

After reading Don Matheson’s quotes in the media this morning, Prof Palmer issued the following statement.

“We were very happy to read Mr Matheson’s acceptance of our invitation to come to the Gold Coast, albeit through the media,” Prof Palmer said.

“We are comforted by the fact that we will now have two Hyundai A-League pre-season matches on the Gold Coast.

“Our Board is therefore gratified that we have achieved our objective and we instructed our CEO, Clive Mensink, to contact Mr Matheson today to see if a mutually agreeable date could be arranged for the game to take place at Skilled Park. That date is to be Tuesday June 23rd.

“Our club feels that by standing firm we have done all we can do to ensure that there will be pre-season games on the Gold Coast for the benefit of our supporters.

“Furthermore, any suggestion that we did not want to take on North Queensland Fury is clearly untrue.”

Professor Palmer also clarified the club’s position on the other proposed pre-season fixture versus the Central Coast Mariners in Lismore.

He said: “We will also be pursuing an opportunity to take our full Hyundai A-League squad to Lismore to take on a composite team from that region.

“Lismore and its surrounding area is a hotbed of football talent and we recognise that. Consequently, we feel it is far more relevant to play a local composite team so our coaching staff can identify any talented players they believe are worth pursuing or tracking for future contracts at Gold Coast United.

“Playing the Central Coast Mariners in Lismore would have achieved little for the players in that area and would not have provided them with the shop window to display their talents.”

*Further details on the North Queensland Fury pre-season game will be released as soon as possible*

SOURCE: goldcoastunited.com.au

GCT_89
08-06-09, 10:57 AM
So now theres three games......

North Qld Fury - Tuesday June 23rd

Fulham - Wednesday July 8th

Central Coast Mariners - Saturday July 18th

dee13
09-06-09, 04:20 PM
I will go....

ONLY IF THEY ARE PLAYING RUGBY LEAGUE.:D

Nathalie
10-06-09, 06:38 PM
So now theres three games......

North Qld Fury - Tuesday June 23rd

Fulham - Wednesday July 8th

Central Coast Mariners - Saturday July 18th

You're confusing me.. who are you going for, Maroons or Blues? One of each symbol? Lol

daveyk
10-06-09, 09:48 PM
You're confusing me.. who are you going for, Maroons or Blues? One of each symbol? Lol

its football (soccer)

GCT_89
11-06-09, 12:14 PM
no she means QLD or NSW.....its definatly NSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i have to have that piece of **** Q there for a couple more weeks.....man i hate that thing...........

shamus
11-06-09, 05:37 PM
Not going to the Fulham game under protest. GCU gave away free tickets to the game if you signed up at any of the trial matches that they have played of late. I joined as a member on the day that membership became available and I have to pay for my tickets! Not only that, any Brisbane Roar (old Qld Roar) members who signed up with GCU get 25% off membership!. Good way to start the new venture by the treatment early signing members receive.

In saying that I wanna go to the Fulham game so bad but after my initial tanty I think I have left it too late to get reasonable seats. Oh, BTW they are only selling 5000 seats to the Mariners trial. I do not why? But I am a Central Coast boy so I will definately be going to that one.

Adelaide Titan
15-06-09, 07:30 PM
I think GC United will be the better of the 2 new teams. looking forward to seeing them play here at Hindmarsh. I dont know why they signed Kristian Rees though. I don't think they will go undefeated like your CEO said either :P

Nathalie
15-06-09, 10:11 PM
its football (soccer)

I know that, silly. I was talking about his avatar and signature.