PDA

View Full Version : Dragons Continue Commitment to Youth in 2006

Teegy
01-12-05, 01:15 PM
from Dragons.com.au

The St George Illawarra Dragons have continued to develop and reward their junior talents with 10 players from the Club's 2005 Premiership winning Jersey Flegg team joining the full-time training squad for 2006.

Jersey Flegg "Player of the Year" Tom Haberecht, Tom Hewitt, Chris Houston, Jason Klimis, Charlie Leaeno, Daryl Millard, George Ndaira, Danny Wicks and the Morris twins Brett and Josh have all earned the opportunity to train alongside their NRL heroes.

New recruits to the Dragons for 2006 include Damon Alley-Tovio (Canberra), Matt Bickerstaff (France), Bryson Goodwin (Cronulla), Sam Isemonger (Cronulla), Andrew Price (Newcastle), Lagi Setu (Rugby Union) and Richard Williams (South Sydney).

"Our priority has always been with the development of our local juniors and we are fortunate to have such a talent base," said Coach Nathan Brown. "Our young guys have earned their place in our full-time squad and will be pushing for a place in the top grade.

"We have a number of representative players in our squad and it was important to ensure we have depth and strength with "value for money", first grade players to help cope with our ongoing representative requirements".

Dragons Full-Time Squad for 2006
Damon Alley - Tovio, Clint Greenshields, Daryl Millard, Reece Simmonds, Luke Bailey, Tom Haberecht, Brett Morris, Ashton Sims, Trent Barrett, Mathew Head, Josh Morris, Shaun Timmins, Colin Best, Michael Henderson, Wes Naiqama, Willie Tupou, Matt Bickerstaff, Tom Hewitt, Corey Payne, Aaron Wheatley, Reece Blayney, Ben Hornby, Andrew Price, Danny Wicks, Matt Cooper, Chris Houston, Justin Poore, Richard Williams, Ben Creagh, Sam Isemonger, Jason Ryles, Dean Young, Mark Gasnier, Jason Klimis, Lagi Setu, Bryson Goodwin, Charlie Leaneo, Chris Sheppard

Teegy
01-12-05, 01:19 PM
Overall i like the look of this squad. its a good mix of Youth and experiance. watch for the Morris brothers to be stand outs when the make the 17

Research Station Drive
01-12-05, 02:53 PM
This is an extremely strong squad.

You can see why the loss of Thompson will not hurt the Dragons with just a cursory look at this train on squad.

George Ndaira is my tip to have a solid go this year, as Teegy said the Morris boys will be exceptional.

Teegy
01-12-05, 02:59 PM
To bad Ndaira is not named in the squad

Super Cronk
01-12-05, 03:06 PM
no gorrel?

Teegy
01-12-05, 03:07 PM
Yes that is surprising. i missed that on my first few looks. that means we have no real recognized hooker in the squad.

Research Station Drive
01-12-05, 03:38 PM
Jersey Flegg "Player of the Year" Tom Haberecht, Tom Hewitt, Chris Houston, Jason Klimis, Charlie Leaeno, Daryl Millard, George Ndaira, Danny Wicks and the Morris twins Brett and Josh have all earned the opportunity to train alongside their NRL heroes.

Ndaira's name is not on the list but I think that was a clerical error as this is the 2nd par of the release.

Gorrell missing is an interesting one though... he was supposedly still a part of the club? If so, why would he not be in the full time training squad?

Curious.

Research Station Drive
01-12-05, 03:38 PM
I don't know too much about Sam Isemonger, can anyone give me an opinion? Sharks fans?

Teegy
01-12-05, 03:40 PM
i liked him as a player.

Research Station Drive
01-12-05, 04:05 PM
A pretty solid, no nonsense style backrower right Teegy?

Do you know if he has suffered any injuries? He kind of appeared on the scene and then fell away...

Dragons
01-12-05, 05:24 PM
from Dragons.com.au
Yeah but we lost Josh Lewis to the chooks........ :')