PDA

View Full Version : Prince: It hurts to miss out on magic Maroon moments

DIEHARD
29-05-09, 07:27 AM
It hurts to miss out on magic Maroon moments
THE PRINCE DIARIES by Titans captain Scott Prince

HAVING PLAYED State of Origin I know what I am missing out on this week, and it hurts.

Believe the hype. Origin is everything you read and hear about, and more.

To be a part of the series as a player is the pinnacle of rugby league in so many ways.

The game itself obviously is a highlight. It is the fastest, toughest, most physical, most exhilarating and most demanding football I've played. But that is only part of the magic of Origin.

The week leading into each game captured, for me, some of my best memories.

You hear about Origin being mate against mate, and the Maroons being bonded into a real band of brothers. That is for real. There is a feeling in that Queensland camp that transcends words like mateship and teammate.

What is created is an X-factor -- the reason why Queensland has been able to match, and often better, the Blues despite having far fewer players to select from.

It is a feeling that Queensland rugby league fans are born with. I know, I certainly was. It means when you are fortunate enough to put on that Maroon jersey you feel something flow through your veins.

Call it passion, call it Origin folklore, call it what you like -- but it is there.

It means you'll do virtually anything for the jersey and the bloke beside you. It means that for 80 minutes you have a genuine hatred for anyone wearing blue.

I felt that hatred when I played against good mate 'Boof' (Anthony) Laffranchi last year. Boof and I are pretty close, but in the heat of Origin battle I wanted to hurt him -- mate against mate.

Everything about Origin goes up a gear. Even the training. I recall last year being called in late for the injured Darren Lockyer. I believed that my form, fitness and confidence at that point was close to a career high. I had been out of the Origin arena for four years and it only took about 30 seconds of the first training session for me to realise the difference between the NRL and Origin.

When surrounded by best of the best nothing happens at normal speed.

So this week when the Origin squads were named, although I knew I was only an outside chance, there was still a deep-seated pain as I knew what I would not experience.

However for me, and others who may be in the same boat, there is a consolation. Origin is a shooting star that comes along for a brief period each season -- a major highlight but not the reason we play league.

I think I speak for most players in saying rugby league is about a premiership. It is why we lace up for a pre-season in November and why we pray we are still in the mix come finals in September.

You fight all season with your teammates to taste victory on that one day. Origin is a rare gem, but an NRL premiership is rugby league's crowning glory.

So, here is how my week has been.

Friday: In Sydney the morning after Footy Show. Breakfast with manager 'Jerry Maguire' then back to Coast.

Saturday:Ballwork session at Skilled Park ahead of tomorrow's clash with Manly. Goalkicking comp with Kevvie Gordon. 'Flash' is good, but ultimately joined a long list who have tried and failed to take the crown from the Royal Hound. Loser buys lunch. Almost forgotten what it's like to pay for a meal.

Sunday: Game face on. Spoke about attitude last week, it was certainly there against Manly, especially our defence. Kept ourselves in the game so when late penalty came we were in striking distance. Kick for goal was pressure, but a moment you savour (and hope like hell you don't stuff up).

Monday: Recovery session at Runaway Bay, then Carty grabbed the first grade training squad for a bonding lunch at Titanium Bar.

Tuesday:Went with Kristy to club promo at Robina Town Centre where Titans partners were pampered. No Titans TV as 'Kung-Fu Panda' Sintome gets fat suit repaired.

Wednesday:Shift training base to Casuarina. Flogged. Team meeting. Bye this weekend gives us a chance to assess where we are.

Thursday:Breakfast at Koncubine, Labrador. Skin-fold tests, weights, then off for four days. Look forward to Titans Ball tomorrow night.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au