Monday June 8 - Skilled Park

Tickets: http://www.ticketek.com.au

TITANS

TBA

DRAGONS

TBA

DIEHARD
26-05-09, 09:29 PM
Seening as we have the BYE this round, let's focus on this big match and talk it up for 2 weeks.

We have killed the Manly monkey, now it's time for the Dragons!

Hoppy2007Dragons
26-05-09, 09:48 PM
I'll be there, its my rdo on friday so spending the long w/e down the coast, stimulate the economy and hopefully watch the dragons make it 7-0. :p

DIEHARD
26-05-09, 09:58 PM
7-0?

We have only played 5 times.

TITAN PETE
26-05-09, 11:11 PM
7-0?

We have only played 5 times.

Hopefully he's not a Terminator sent back from the future & he knows something we don't :p or he just can't count ;)

DIEHARD
26-05-09, 11:27 PM
Sent back from the future to try and change history... because the Dragons will continue to choke in the finals for the next 5 decades and are about to merge with Cronulla. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Dragons allied with the evil that is SkyNet.

Although they did stay loyal during the Super League war and I'll give them credit for that at least.

But hey, Terminator Salvation comes out next week, should be great. :) So many awesome films out this year.

Back on the game, I'm hoping that the Maroons can do us a favour by squashing the Dragons NSW reps in Weyman, Poore and Creagh.

TITAN PETE
26-05-09, 11:33 PM
But hey, Terminator Salvation comes out next week, should be great. :) Sp many awesome films out this year.

I pre-purchased tickets for Saturday nights session at the new V Max cinemas at Robina which are opening this weekend , "Asta La Vista Baby" :D

curly_11
27-05-09, 08:10 AM
I pre-purchased tickets for Saturday nights session at the new V Max cinemas at Robina which are opening this weekend , "Asta La Vista Baby" :D

They are the one and only fully digital cinemas in the country! Im will seeing a movie there on the weekend to just to see what its like :)

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-05-09, 12:30 PM
he just can't count

Just not watching what i'm typing :p

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-05-09, 12:31 PM
because the Dragons will continue to choke in the finals for the next 5 decades and are about to merge with Cronulla

Better than chocking mid season :p

karnage
27-05-09, 01:08 PM
It's a huge game for Titans fans between Panthers and St George this weekend. We are in direct competition with both of these teams for spots in the 4 and the 8 and both of them have beaten us this year. I don't think the Dragons have lost consecutive games all year so if they do get rolled by the depleted Panthers you would expect Bennett to have them primes for their Skilled visit. Our for and against is the worst of any positive team in the comp and could be an anchor at the end of the year - meaning the difference between a home or away final if we can't start to run up some points.

St George have already had one of their byes so they play this weekend against Penrith.

The Saints go in minus Poore, Weyman, Creagh and Boyd but still have a fair bit of class with Hornby, Soward, Cooper and Morris all match winners on their day.

How filthy would you be if you were a Panthers fan?? They have Civinoceva and Jennings out and have Lewis out as 18th man. There is the chance that he will miss this weekends match and still not play origin. Although they have less numbers on origin duty I would say the Panthers are the more disadvantaged side with their inspriation and their brilliance both out.

Get down the TAB and have a fiver on a draw, usually pays around $26, becuase that would be a perfect result for the Titans as we would make ground on both without playing a game.

Carty and the rest of the coaching team will try to play down the Dragons hoodoo but at 4 - 0 there is some fairly compelling evidence to say that it is alive and well. At 5 - 0 it starts to look awful and would definitely dominate talk heading into a final, if that were to eventuate.

I posted on the Manly thread how important I thought this current run of 3 games were - Manly (:salute:) followed by Dragons and Roosters. The Manly win takes the pressure off to a certain degree but a loss would put a huge emphasis on the danger game against the Roosters at Gosford.

A win on Queen Lizzy's Birthday will do 3 things:
1. Keep us moving UP the ladder.
2. Bury the final hoodoo before a finals game. Remember the Cowboys went something like 5 years without beating the Broncos and that sequence became a real burden before every game!!
3. Enable a pressure free build up to the Roosters game that can allow us to really put a team to the sword. Remeber again that we have never, ever scored 40 points ina game of footy.

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-05-09, 03:11 PM
St George have already had one of their byes so they play this weekend against Penrith.

The saints haven't had a bye, our byes come up in the next 6-8 weeks with a 2 week gap or something between them.

A good post, i have to agree with you about the panthers, losing those three players takes away from the ability to make metres, points and hard defence. Saying that Boyd and Weyman are massive losses this week, they are the number one and two meter eaters for the saints. Sailor, Cooper, Stanley, Morris and Nightingale, are all going to have to stand up this week and take extra runs to get our engine room going, hunt and saffy are good players, but nothing like poore and weyman.

karnage
28-05-09, 09:59 AM
The saints haven't had a bye, our byes come up in the next 6-8 weeks with a 2 week gap or something between them.

Yeah your right about that. It makes the Saints position on the ladder even stronger then.

The ladder can get so confusing at this time of year with the ridiculous rule that gives teams points for the bye. Can anybody explain to me the reason why teams are given two points on their bye weekend. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

amaline
28-05-09, 04:48 PM
Can anybody explain to me the reason why teams are given two points on their bye weekend. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

A self esteem boost for Cronulla fans. :D

DIEHARD
28-05-09, 04:55 PM
Well if you don't give them points it still artificially manipulates the table.

I think it has other positives, it makes the fans of the team feel like they are getting something in their week off. Makes the fans look forward to it. I think fans would despair the bye alot more if nothing was on offer.

DIEHARD
28-05-09, 06:50 PM
Coops is out for this weekend's game against the Panthers. Maybe it might be out for a 2nd? Miss the game against the Titans? It would be a big blow to the Dragons.

COOPER RULED OUT OF PANTHERS MATCH

Dragons centre Matt Cooper has today been ruled out of the clash against the Panthers at WIN Stadium tomorrow night.

Cooper will be sidelined with a calf injury that is expected to only keep him sidelined for this week.

Coach Wayne Bennett has yet to name a replacement and a decision will be made on game day in relation to the make up of the side.

Source: http://www.dragons.com.au

karnage
28-05-09, 07:51 PM
The 9 day turnaround will be in his favour so if they say 1 week you would expect him to front.

I agree with what you say about the bye Diehard and the interest that it creates for fans. I went around to my Dads for tea and we did up a table after this current round based on who we think will win. I will cut the whole thing short but we came up with this:

Assuming that the Dragons beat the Panthers (they are favourites but it is less probable now that Cooper is out) and the Dogs beat the Gidley-less Knights the table will look like this:

1. Dogs - 18 (1 bye)
2. Dragons - 18 (0 byes)
3. Broncos - 18 (1 bye)
4. TITANS - 16 (1 bye)
5. Storm - 15 (1 bye)
6. Rabbits - 15 (1 bye)
7. Panthers - 14 (1 bye)
8. Nth QLD - 14 (1 bye)

The Warriors and the Eels are likely to be next down on 11 points and it looks like it is going to be really tough for anyone from position 10 down to qualify for the finals.

So... Titans v Dragons looks set to be a 2nd v 4th blockbuster. On a freakin' Monday. Hopefully the combination of the public holiday, the slightly earlier 7pm start and the lack of free-to-air coverage will see this game get the coverage it deserves.

karnage
01-06-09, 09:48 PM
The 9 day turnaround will be in his favour so if they say 1 week you would expect him to front.

I agree with what you say about the bye Diehard and the interest that it creates for fans. I went around to my Dads for tea and we did up a table after this current round based on who we think will win. I will cut the whole thing short but we came up with this:

Assuming that the Dragons beat the Panthers (they are favourites but it is less probable now that Cooper is out) and the Dogs beat the Gidley-less Knights the table will look like this:

1. Dogs - 18 (1 bye)
2. Dragons - 18 (0 byes)
3. Broncos - 18 (1 bye)
4. TITANS - 16 (1 bye)
5. Storm - 15 (1 bye)
6. Rabbits - 15 (1 bye)
7. Panthers - 14 (1 bye)
8. Nth QLD - 14 (1 bye)

The Warriors and the Eels are likely to be next down on 11 points and it looks like it is going to be really tough for anyone from position 10 down to qualify for the finals.

So... Titans v Dragons looks set to be a 2nd v 4th blockbuster. On a freakin' Monday. Hopefully the combination of the public holiday, the slightly earlier 7pm start and the lack of free-to-air coverage will see this game get the coverage it deserves.

Well as usual my tipping was no good with the both the Dogs and the Bunnies getting rolled. What these results do create, for the first time this year is a clear gap between the top and the bottom 8.

1 Dragons 12 9 3 18
2 Broncos 11 8 3 18
3 Bulldogs 11 8 3 16
4 Knights 12 8 4 16
5 Titans 11 7 4 16
6 Storm 11 6 4 15
7 Cowboys 11 6 5 14
8 Panthers 11 6 5 14
12 Raiders 11 4 7 10
13 Tigers 11 4 7 10
14 Eels 11 3 7 9
15 Roosters 11 3 8 8
16 Sharks 11 2 9 6

The Eels, Roosters and Sharks are gone and we are yet to play ANY of those teams. Infact we have not played any of the bottom 4. That looks like a pretty good position for us to be in except when you look deeper you find that we only play each of the bottom 4 teams once. That is offset to a certain degree by the fact that we play 3 of those teams (Sharks, Tigers, Eels) at home and the 4th (Roosters) at a neutral venue but it still would have been nice to get at least one of those bottom 3 strugglers twice.

By way of comparison Brisbane are 2 points ahead of us on the table but they have already had games against the Tigers, Roosters (admittedly both away) and the Eels at home.

While games like this week against St George are important I think these 4 games identified here against the bottam 25% of the comp are the 'must-win' games. It would also be handy to pump a bit into the 'for' column with places in the 8 almost certain to come down to for and against.

DIEHARD
02-06-09, 09:22 AM
I agree Karnage, I also went pants over the weekend tipping wise. I dropped Parra, Bulldogs and Bunnies! :cry:

But the results does spread out the field a bit more. You are right, we have to win the games against the lower ranked team, dropping one or two could really burn us.

Also in our draw, we only play the Roosters or Sharks once.

BTW Karnage I love your contribution to the Titans forum, it is always informative and insightful.

DIEHARD
02-06-09, 12:24 PM
The Titans team to take on the Dragons has been announced on Titans TV!

http://bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Titans

Chris Walker named to start.

karnage
02-06-09, 02:02 PM
Good to see Cannings named as the #14 interchange player as that should mean he will be given a run, he gives some size to the pack that we really have lacked lately, especially with Meyers named to replace Mini.

There are 2 things I am hoping for tomorrow and each is equally important to me:
1. QLD win.
2. None of our boys pick up serious injuries. Fingers crossed, touchwood etc.

TITAN PETE
02-06-09, 05:00 PM
Good to see Cannings named as the #14 interchange player as that should mean he will be given a run, he gives some size to the pack that we really have lacked lately, especially with Meyers named to replace Mini.

There are 2 things I am hoping for tomorrow and each is equally important to me:
1. QLD win.

1. BLUES win.

dee13
02-06-09, 05:09 PM
1 Dragons 12 9 3 18
2 Broncos 11 8 3 18
3 Bulldogs 11 8 3 16
4 Knights 12 8 4 16
5 Titans 11 7 4 16
6 Storm 11 6 4 15
7 Cowboys 11 6 5 14
8 Panthers 11 6 5 14
12 Raiders 11 4 7 10
13 Tigers 11 4 7 10
14 Eels 11 3 7 9
15 Roosters 11 3 8 8
16 Sharks 11 2 9 6

The Eels, Roosters and Sharks are gone and we are yet to play ANY of those teams.

Does that mean, when the Sharks come to town, we can officially sing "43 years and nothing":laugh:

DIEHARD
02-06-09, 05:27 PM
Really looking forward for this one, it'll be a real forwards battle and we need to make sure Soward doesn't get much field position to do us damage with his kicking game.

karnage
02-06-09, 08:04 PM
Does that mean, when the Sharks come to town, we can officially sing "43 years and nothing":laugh:

Yes it does.

You can take it officially from me that they are NO CHANCE!!:salute:

karnage
02-06-09, 08:14 PM
DRAGONS TEAM:

Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Beau Scott, Matt Cooper, Wendell Sailor, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt), Justin Poore, Luke Priddis, Michael Weyman, Dean Young, Ben Creagh, Neville Costigan. Interchange: Dan Hunt, Mickey Paea, Jason Nightingale, Mathew Head, Jarrod Saffy, Chase Stanley (two to be omitted)

Still no Jeremy Smith which is good for us and the highlights are backing up. I don't expect this to be a real issue with the 5 days backup, it is the equivalent of a Monday - Saturday turnaround which teams do all the time.

More importantly, the refs team:
Referees: Ben Cummins, Alan Shortall

Have we had these 2 this year?? I'm just glad we don't have Steve Lyons, he crucifies us every time.

patskE
02-06-09, 08:52 PM
wats our lineup?
guessing no conn :(

daveyk
02-06-09, 08:55 PM

isnt it 42yrs and nothing this time around???

or should it be 43 yrs and GOOOONNNNEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
03-06-09, 09:42 AM
`Turn up' or get hurt, warns Prince
Luke Turgeon

GOLD Coast Titans skipper Scott Prince says the team risks getting smashed by the Dragons if they turn in another undisciplined performance at Skilled Park on Monday.

Pointing to the Titans' controversial one-point win over defending premiers Manly in their last start at Robina, Prince said the Gold Coast needed to `turn up' against competition leaders St George Illawarra to avoid a flogging.

"If we turn up like (we did against Manly) against the Dragons they will certainly hurt us," said Prince. "We can't play like that (again).

"They are playing very basic football but they are disciplined in defence and attack and they stick to the game plan -- it is something that is winning them games.

"We are going to have to be certainly on our game to come away with the two points on Monday night."

Prince will be free of the burden of backing up from tonight's opening State of Origin clash in Melbourne, the only fit player from last year's Origin 3 side to be overlooked.

While disappointed he won't be taking part, the crafty halfback said he harboured no ill feelings towards selectors, who rushed skipper Darren Lockyer straight back into the side after he missed last year through injury.

"I will be watching the game," said Prince.

"I will have a pair of maroon undies on, sitting on the couch watching it with the family.

"They picked the best team in form at the moment.

"Throughout the series injuries do happen -- I have just got to be working my butt off and playing good footy for my club and hopefully get an opportunity if it presents itself."

Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday named lumberjack lookalike prop Brad Meyers to slot into the starting second row in place of injured forward Mark Minichiello (ankle).

Centre Brett Delaney (ankle) and winger Kevin Gordon (groin) failed to train yesterday but are expected to play.

The Coast is hopeful Queenslander Ashley Harrison and NSW pair Anthony Laffranchi and Luke Bailey will back up from Origin, with a five-day turnaround working in their favour.

The Dragons have four players in Origin, with fullback Darius Boyd playing for Queensland and forwards Michael Weyman, Justin Poore and Ben Creagh turning out for the Blues.

Cartwright agreed with Prince that discipline would prove the deciding factor.

The Titans have never beaten the Dragons.

"They have got good players in key positions and they are very disciplined," he said. "If you play undisciplined footy against them they generally get you."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
03-06-09, 10:37 AM
Gold Coast Titans: 1. Preston Campbell, 2. Kevin Gordon, 3. Esi Tonga, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Chris Walker, 6. Mat Rogers, 7. Scott Prince , 8. Luke Bailey , 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Michael Henderson, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Brad Meyers, 13. Ashley Harrison.

Subs: 14. Aaron Cannings, 15. Will Matthews, 16. Luke O'Dwyer, 17. William Zillman, 20. Matt White.

St.George-Illawarra Dragons: 1. Darius Boyd, 2. Brett Morris, 3. Beau Scott, 4. Matt Cooper, 5. Wendell Sailor, 6. Jamie Soward, 7. Ben Hornby (c), 8. Justin Poore, 9. Luke Priddis, 10. Michael Weyman, 11. Dean Young, 12. Ben Creagh, 13. Neville Costigan.

Subs: 14. Dan Hunt, 15. Mickey Paea, 16. Jason Nightingale, 17. Mathew Head, 18. Jarrod Saffy, 19. Chase Stanley.

patskE
03-06-09, 04:41 PM
sifnt give conn a go at 2nd row n leave meyers at the front of the pack where his been so good for us

dee13
03-06-09, 05:12 PM
isnt it 42yrs and nothing this time around???

or should it be 43 yrs and GOOOONNNNEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it is 42 years this year because they didn't win the premiership in 2008. They aren't going to win the premiership this year. They are already out of the race. So we can skip 42 and go straight to 43 years and nothing.

GCT_89
03-06-09, 05:20 PM
we could just say forty-odd years......lol

but in regards to the saints game....anyone got some good chants?

Steve
03-06-09, 05:25 PM
we could just say forty-odd years......lol

but in regards to the saints game....anyone got some good chants?

Go home, Broncos, go home?

dee13
04-06-09, 04:50 PM
Go home, Broncos, go home?

opposing teams could probably say that to us aswell. Prince, Harrison, Meyers, Walker:D

Steve
04-06-09, 05:40 PM
opposing teams could probably say that to us aswell. Prince, Harrison, Meyers, Walker:D

Big difference!
Prince and Harrison weren't wanted by the broncos were they?

And besides, Wayne Bennett is the Broncos!

Dragons
04-06-09, 06:45 PM
Big difference!
Prince and Harrison weren't wanted by the broncos were they?

And besides, Wayne Bennett is the Broncos!

Not Saint Benny though ;)

DIEHARD
05-06-09, 01:00 PM
It's going to be a big one! Dragons have lots of fans out here and coupled with the public holiday, I am hoping for a big turn out. I'm certainly working on my banner for the game.

The Dragons played superbly minus their Origin stars last week and Creagh was very dangerous for the Blues on Wednesday night.

Dragons are probably the most complete team so far this year and this will be our toughest test yet.

DIEHARD
05-06-09, 02:17 PM
Titans v Dragons
Skilled Park 7pm Monday

It might only be Round 13 but the Titans? season could go on the line on Monday night when they face up to the might of the competition-leading Dragons ? whom they haven?t beaten in five attempts!

John Cartwright?s charges are nicely positioned in fifth place on the ladder, their 16 points just two adrift of the Dragons. But they have had the luxury of the bye and, with a bunch of other sides nipping at their heels they can?t afford a slip-up ? or they?ll start questioning whether their year is about to head down the path of their past two seasons of early promise but no cigars.

Who backs up from Origin fit and firing will have a huge affect on the outcome of this game ? the Titans will be sweating on Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi (both NSW) and Ashley Harrison (Queensland), while the Dragons hopefully welcome back Justin Poore, Michael Weyman, Ben Creagh (NSW and Darius Boyd (Queensland). In all players? favour is that this game is on the five-day back-up (Monday night).

Seems an age ago now but the Titans? last moments on a footy field came when Preston Campbell was awarded a controversial penalty that saw them home over Manly by a point in Round 11. Before that they registered just one win from four attempts (Rabbitohs, Round 8).

Meanwhile the Dragons continue to grind their opponents out of the contest. They have strung together a hat-trick of wins, and five from their past six, only falling to the Cowboys in Townsville (24-20) in the back-up after the one-off Test and Country-City games.

Watch out Titans: Darius Boyd?s and Brett Morris? incredible kick-return prowess spells a clear and present danger. Morris and Boyd have propelled the Dragons to be best in the comp at making line breaks from kick returns ? 10 of their total 57 have originated from the back. Morris? 16.9 metres average carry back from kicks ranks him second in the comp (he also ranks third in line breaks with 11), while Boyd is a rung behind, making 14.3 metres (he also leads the NRL in tackle breaks with 66).

Scott Prince and Mat Rogers will need to make sure they kick to space ? or kick the ball out ? or else they?ll be on the back foot all night.

Watch out Dragons: The Titans would be wise not to get drawn into a battle of the big men. Instead, they should utilise their small, elusive individuals like Preston Campbell, Prince and Rogers ? especially given forwards Weyman, Poore and Creagh will likely tire early.

Campbell and Prince each have seven try assists and if they can shift up a gear inside their opponents? 30-metre zone then points may follow.

It?s important to note that more than half the 24 tries scored against the Dragons (13) have come from line breaks, so if this duo can scout wide and pop a short pass to a fringe-running forward like Laffranchi, it could reap dividends ? the Panthers had success this way last week when Frank Pritchard burst through to score on the left fringe.

Where it will be won: Composure. The Dragons are masters at building momentum into a clash. Over the past two weeks they?ve weathered onslaughts from the Sharks and Panthers in the first half; once the threat has been contained, they?ve seized on their opportunities to post quick points and put the issue beyond doubt.

Mostly it?s because the Dragons, under Wayne Bennett, make the fewest errors of any side: they?re making 9.8 errors a game. By comparison the Titans are ranked sixth with 12. Not much of a difference you say? Two errors can add up to 12 points...

The History: Played 5; Dragons 5, Titans 0. The Dragons are the Gold Coast?s bogy side; they?ve even lost their only game played at Skilled Park.

Conclusion: The Titans will be freshened up off the bye, and that will certainly be in their favour. They need to make the contest fast-paced from the outset and hooker Nathan Friend (most receives in the NRL with 1291) needs to get them easy metres out of dummy-half, either from himself or from a hit-up merchant close to the ruck ? the Dragons were caught out with their markers not square on several occasions last week against the Panthers. When this occurred the red-and-whites looked vulnerable.

The other crucial factor will be Jamie Soward?s kicking game. Every week the critics have waited for him to falter, but he?s answered his coach?s call every time. While he gets assistance from the likes of Ben Hornby and others, he?s a pinpoint powerhouse with the boot ? his average 590 metres gain a match is more than the combined efforts of Prince (245 metres) and Rogers (173 metres).

As mentioned above, it?s a danger game for the Titans. But it?s also of great importance to the Dragons in their quest for the minor premiership. With coach Bennett the master of motivation, and calculating back-ups from all Origin competitors, the Dragons look the stronger ? there might be only two points between them on the ladder but a true indicator would be the Dragons? massive 108 points differential compared to the Titans? 14 ? by far the smallest of any side in the top eight.

Match officials: Referees ? Ben Cummins & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Russell Turner & Gavin Morris; Video Ref ? Paul Simpkins.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 7pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
05-06-09, 02:55 PM
STATMAN ROUND 13

If any team is going to break Gold Coast Titans' winning run at Skilled Park, it must surely be St George Illawarra. The Dragons are the only team the Titans have failed to bfeat. After a 20-18 loss to St George Illawarra in their NRL debut match, at Suncorp Stadium in 2007, the Titans have recorded four further losses to sit 0-5 against the Dragons. But Titans co-captain Luke Bailey might have something to say about that stat. Bailey, still hurting after New South Wales's loss in Origin I on Wednesday night, is unbeaten in 10 matches at Skilled Park.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
05-06-09, 03:00 PM
Gold Coast v St George Illawarra

Monday, Skilled Park, 7pm

Referees: Ben Cummins, Alan Shortall
Head to head: Dragons 5, Titans 0
Last clash: Dragons 16 bt Titans 0 at WIN Stadium (Rd 2, 2009)
TAB Sportsbet: Titans $1.85, Dragons $1.95|
FootyTAB: Dragons +0.5

What a rip-roaring Monday night clash we've got here. There may not be an avalanche of points scored, because the defences are pretty good, but the game is bound to be very intense and played at a fast pace as the two teams try hard to crack the code. The Titans have three players backing up from State of Origin I and the Dragons have four, but there are four days between Origin and this game so that should not be too big a factor. It pretty much evens out anyway, when you consider each team has three forwards backing up. The Titans are at full strength now, while Jeremy Smith is the only player out for the Dragons who would be in the team if he were fit.

The Titans are unbeaten at home this season, and included among their five victims are the Knights and the Bulldogs. It looked like they were going to record their first home loss when they trailed the Sea Eagles late in their round-11 match, but a controversial penalty gave them a shot at goal and they won by a point. It was far from the most convincing performance by the Titans this season, and it came after back-to-back losses on the road against the Knights and Broncos. They had the bye last weekend. The Dragons, meanwhile, keep powering along under new coach Wayne Bennett, who has managed to get the team to be consistent. That is something they haven't been able to do for many years. The Dragons are on a three-match winning streak at the moment, and had a four-game winning streak from rounds two-to-five. They are the best-performed team in the competition, and didn't miss a beat when they had a heap of players out due to Origin and injury last weekend, when they still th rashed the Panthers. The Dragons have a 4-2 away record this season. These two teams met in round two, when the Dragons won 16-10 in Wollongong.

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Esi Tonga, Brett Delaney, Chris Walker, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince (capt), Luke Bailey (capt), Nathan Friend, Michael Henderson, Anthony Laffranchi, Brad Meyers, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Aaron Cannings, Will Matthews, Luke O'Dwyer, William Zillman, Matt White.

DRAGONS: Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Beau Scott, Matt Cooper, Wendell Sailor, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt), Justin Poore, Luke Priddis, Michael Weyman, Dean Young, Ben Creagh, Neville Costigan. Interchange: Dan Hunt, Mickey Paea, Jason Nightingale, Mathew Head, Jarrod Saffy, Chase Stanley (two to be omitted)

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

karnage
05-06-09, 09:09 PM
As if this game wasn't big enough already.

With Melbourne putting the cleaners through Brisbane and with the Panthers currently leading the Tigers we will drop as low as 8th with a loss if Nth QLD do the expected and roll the Rabbits.

If we win we share the lead for the comp on 18 points with StG, Dogs, Brisbane and possibly the Knights.

What a comp that can see the outcome of one game leave us 1st (5th on F/A) or 8th!!

BTW - If anyone is having a punt for Straddie weekend I have done the form and come up with a few all at good prices:

Race 5 (Stradbroke) - Mr Baritone ($11) *SPECIAL*
Race 6 (QLD Derby) - Old Jock ($15)
Race 7 (Brisbane Cup) - Music Review ($13)
Race 8 (QLD Guineas) - Geeza ($8)

You will only need 1 to get up to be having lobster for dinner!!

totally
05-06-09, 10:34 PM
Should be 2 great games out there Monday night...Ill be getting there early for both....best of luck to the 20s lets hope they can get there season back into swing and lets hope the lads in the main game can keep it going.

teke
06-06-09, 12:58 AM
Gordon has trained for 2 weeks due to hip injury and is in doubt for Monday night.

The Q Cups leading try scorer and kumul weapons time is almost near :salute:

karnage
06-06-09, 08:00 AM
Gordon has trained for 2 weeks due to hip injury and is in doubt for Monday night.

The Q Cups leading try scorer and kumul weapons time is almost near :salute:

Should already be here. I would have him over Walker any day of the week.

teke
06-06-09, 08:30 PM
He was the form winger from the World Cup, through the Titans off season and through the trials. His injury led to the current 2 wingers but imo Walker is a better option than Gordon.

He should be in the team but Cartrights attitude to give current players a chance is a good one which has meant fringe players must perform consistently to be considered.

I sure hope he gets a shot cause i wanna see him blast out into open space, not many will cut him down.

Dragons
07-06-09, 08:33 AM
As if this game wasn't big enough already.

With Melbourne putting the cleaners through Brisbane and with the Panthers currently leading the Tigers we will drop as low as 8th with a loss if Nth QLD do the expected and roll the Rabbits.

If we win we share the lead for the comp on 18 points with StG, Dogs, Brisbane and possibly the Knights.

What a comp that can see the outcome of one game leave us 1st (5th on F/A) or 8th!!

BTW - If anyone is having a punt for Straddie weekend I have done the form and come up with a few all at good prices:

Race 5 (Stradbroke) - Mr Baritone ($11) *SPECIAL*
Race 6 (QLD Derby) - Old Jock ($15)
Race 7 (Brisbane Cup) - Music Review ($13)
Race 8 (QLD Guineas) - Geeza ($8)

You will only need 1 to get up to be having lobster for dinner!!

Seems like you aren't eating lobster :p

lonegull
07-06-09, 04:38 PM
just heard that gordon is out, zillman onto the wing with cartwrigth to decide between mead and graham for a bench spot, i would really like mead to get his chance

daveyk
07-06-09, 04:56 PM
just heard that gordon is out, zillman onto the wing with cartwrigth to decide between mead and graham for a bench spot, i would really like mead to get his chance

whats wrong with gordon???

karnage
07-06-09, 08:47 PM
Seems like you aren't eating lobster :p

No, and unfortunately it doesn't come in a can 'cos canned food is all I will be eating this week!!

Gordon strained a groin and hasn't trained all week. It will be a real shame if he does not get up. Personally I would go for Graham on the bench against the Dragons to try and counter their punch in the forwards - we can't afford to carry a winger on the bench when we have a couple of players (Chalky and Graham) who can cover centre if needed.

Results COULD NOT have gone better for us this weekend, with teams both in the 8 and out doing the right thing by us.
OUTSIDE TOP 8:

Warriors got beaten
Rabbits in 9th got beaten

This means that a loss against the Dragons would leave us in 8th, 4 points off the Saints in the outright lead but 3 points clear of the Rabbits in 9th. That is a fair sort of buffer on the bottom 8 with games against the Roosters and Bye coming up.

INSIDE TOP 8:

Knights lost
Brisbane copped a CANING by the Storm and their F/A dropped to +16

Our F/A is +14, so a victory of greater than 2 points will see us jump to 3rd, equal on points with Saints, Dogs and Brisbane.

At the start of the round 4th looked as good as we could hope for with a win. This game just keeps getting more and more important as the week rolls on!!

karnage
07-06-09, 08:49 PM
Here's the ladder in full. Sorry that it formatted poorly.

Position Club P W D L B F A Pts/Diff PTS
1 Dragons 12 9 0 3 0 252 144 108 18
2 Bulldogs 11 8 0 3 2 270 192 78 18
3 Broncos 12 8 0 4 1 267 251 16 18
4 Storm 12 7 1 4 1 253 162 91 17
5 Cowboys 12 7 0 5 1 318 200 118 16
6 Panthers 12 7 0 5 1 284 238 46 16
7 Knights 13 8 0 5 0 293 252 41 16
8 Titans 11 7 0 4 1 208 194 14 16
9 Rabbitohs 12 5 1 6 1 239 258 -19 13
10 Sea Eagles 12 5 0 7 1 236 230 6 12
11 Raiders 11 4 0 7 2 211 252 -41 12
12 Warriors 12 4 1 7 1 190 246 -56 11
13 Eels 12 4 1 7 1 174 283 -109 11
14 Tigers 12 4 0 8 1 232 292 -60 10
15 Sharks 12 3 0 9 1 167 249 -82 8
16 Roosters 12 3 0 9 1 189 340 -151 8

DIEHARD
07-06-09, 10:43 PM
I was cheering on Parra, glad to see the Knights go down. We are starting to see a distinct break away of the Top 8. It's turning into a more internal struggle for Top 4/8 positions. We definitely want to make the 4 so there is no chance of sudden death. And we want a Home Final.

It's just amazing that only 2 points seperates 1st from 8th and we can jump to 3rd with a win over the Dragons.

It's up to our forwards tomorrow, they need to dominate and deny the Dragons the yards and opportunity to deploy Soward's kicking game. Hopefully we can shut him down and put pressure on him.

They are also dangerous outwide with Sailor and Morris. Dragons are really a complete team. They won give up, we need to play 80 mins. Hopefully rack up a good amount of points in the first half.

Good luck tomorrow Titans and see you at Skilled Park!

TITAN PETE
08-06-09, 07:54 AM
I was cheering on Parra, glad to see the Knights go down. We are starting to see a distinct break away of the Top 8. It's turning into a more internal struggle for Top 4/8 positions. We definitely want to make the 4 so there is no chance of sudden death. And we want a Home Final.

It's just amazing that only 2 points seperates 1st from 8th and we can jump to 3rd with a win over the Dragons.

It's up to our forwards tomorrow, they need to dominate and deny the Dragons the yards and opportunity to deploy Soward's kicking game. Hopefully we can shut him down and put pressure on him.

I was also cheering on Parra it's better for us & it's great to see the 8 taking shape with a bit of a gap now between 8 & 9 :thumbsup:

I had a chat with Henderson on Thursday & he said he's ready to have his Biggest performance of the year against his old team & he needs to as he hasn't reached anywhere near where he was last season & he knows that but he said his leg was still giving him problems but is now feeling 100% , i asked him to belt the "Pie Eater" (Weyman) when The Rat walked up behind us & said "Just Put 1 On His Farking Chin" :laugh:

This is our last hurdle before making the Semi's in 09' :fist:

GCT_89
08-06-09, 10:33 AM
i cant wait.....it feels like so long since our last game......

ill be there at gates open....

4:30?

it would be amazing to see our guys dominate this game, but i'd be happy with any win.....

GO THE TITANS!!!!

Steve
08-06-09, 12:42 PM
THE Gold Coast Titans State of Origin trio could be ruled out of tonight's clash with St George-Illawarra after members of their respective teams contracted swine flu in Melbourne.

The Titans are this morning in limbo as health authorities determine whether co-captain Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi and Ashley Harrison need to be quarantined.

If the players have to be quarantined then they will be ruled out of the blockbuster clash.

Titans coach John Cartwright said the club is playing a waiting game.

``We're not real sure, it's only just come to light in the last half an hour. There's been a case in the Queensland team and also the NSW team,'' he said.

``We're awaiting advice on what we need to do.''

Gold Coaster Ben Hannant, a team mate of Harrison, contracted swine flue while it is understood at least one NSW official had also contracted the flu.

Six Brisbane Broncos players - skipper Darren Lockyer, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday, the injured Justin Hodges and NSW halfback Peter Wallace - have been quarantined for 72 hours as a precaution.

Queensland Health authorities today issued a statement saying that to date they had no evidence of other players having tested positive to swine flu or displaying flu-type symptoms since the Melbourne match but clubs are being advised of the possibility.

Queensland's Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeannette Young, said team and club doctors were being contacted so that all those who may have been associated with the player could be given appropriate advice.

The Titans trio had trained twice with their home club since returning from Melbourne, unaware they had come in contact with swine flue.

Cartwright said despite having trained together, with no issue, the club would abide by medical advice.

``I'm not a doctor. It's not for me to say what's right or wrong, if the medical people say we're in quarantine then we're in quarantine, simple as that,'' he said.

``We've got to follow the guidelines that we are given.''

Titans CEO Michael Searle said he did not think tonight's fixture would be called off but added the Titans were 'waiting for the official word from the NRL'.

The Titans went for their regular match day walk and swim at Kurrawa beach this morning and are treating today as a normal match day.

``At the moment were all going to be playing until we hear otherwise,'' said Cartwright.

The Dragons have four players, including Gold Coaster Darius Boyd, in the same situation.

The Titans are scheduled to take on the Dragons at Skilled Park tonight at 7pm.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/06/08/86331_gold-coast-titans.html

Ryan
08-06-09, 12:51 PM
Far canal..........

amaline
08-06-09, 01:11 PM
So if 4 players are out for the dragons, will they have enough players? Or look to the under 20s? Or do they have players not named at the start of the week travel with the team?

Steve
08-06-09, 01:19 PM
They couldn't ask the under 20s to play 2 games back to back like that.

I'm guessing they can fly up some reserve graders last minute to fill in.

amaline
08-06-09, 01:25 PM
They couldn't ask the under 20s to play 2 games back to back like that.

I'm guessing they can fly up some reserve graders last minute to fill in.

I was thinking that some under 20s would just play first grade. The under 20s would travel with backups wouldn't they? If they have to fly two players up last minute, that would be a huge advantage to us, especially considering tweed had the bye.

Steve
08-06-09, 01:28 PM
I'd just like that official word from the NRL before I hop on my train to the coast!

Ryan
08-06-09, 01:36 PM
Twelve Origin players quarantined and Dragons-Titans clash is in doubt
By Steve Ricketts and Josh Massoud
June 08, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25603111-5018866,00.html

A total of 11 State of Origin players have been quarantined from their club teammates, plunging tonight's clash between St George Illawarra and Gold Coast Titans into doubt.

The Bulldogs, Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Titans have taken action to keep their players apart after Queensland forward Ben Hannant became the first player to contract the virus during last week's trip to Melbourne for Origin I.

Queensland players Darren Lockyer, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Israel Folau ? Origin teammates of Hannant ? were separated from their fellow Broncos at training this morning, as was New South Wales halfback Peter Wallace.

Injured Origin centre Justin Hodges was also kept away from other players.

In Townsville, Johnathan Thurston (Qld) and Luke O'Donnell (NSW) have been quarantined, as have coach Neil Henry and trainer Billy Johnstone.

On the Gold Coast, Origin player Ashley Harrison (Qld) has been quarantined from the rest of the team although a team spokesman said he is not showing any symptoms of the flu.

The Titans' other Origin players Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi (NSW) remain with the team and have been selected to play tonight for the clash with St George Illawarra at the Gold Coast's Skilled Park.

But because the Dragons also have four Origin players - Darius Boyd (Qld), Justin Poore, Ben Creagh and Michael Weyman (NSW) - tonight's fixture is now in doubt.

The Broncos Origin stars appeared at the Red Hill training ground for a team photo but were then sent home.

They have been told they cannot train with teammates until Thursday, the last session of the week before the clash with Hannant's Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The rest of the side completed training.

Joel Clinton, who remains under suspension for breaching club rules, did not train today.

All Broncos players were given the Tamiflu, as were as assistant coach Allan Langer and trainer Tony Spencer, a club spokesman said.

It is a Queensland Heath directive that people who had been in proximity to swine flu victims be quarantined for 72 hours, he added.

"No one is feeling terribly bad. We are just hoping it's a common flu," Lockyer said.

"Fingers crossed the virus isn't here and it hasn't spread."

Asked if the measures were an overreaction, Lockyer said: "I don't know whether it?s over the top. I don?t know enough about it."

Maroons team doctor Roy Saunders notified the Broncos club doctor and ordered the players to be quarantined for 72 hours in accordance with Queensland Health regulations.

Ryan
08-06-09, 01:39 PM
Gold Coast Titans deny they have quarantined players ahead of Dragons clash
June 08, 2009

Gold Coast Titans will not be standing down its State of Origin players from Monday's NRL clash with St George Illawarra despite concerns they may have been subjected to swine flu in Melbourne last week.

While Brisbane and North Queensland's Origin representatives have all been quarantined due to swine flu concerns, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said the club's three Origin representatives, Ashley Harrison, Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi would not be quarantined.

The Dragons are also expected to field their four Origin reps, Darius Boyd, Ben Creagh Justin Poore and Michael Weyman for the clash.

"We've had no official notification from Queensland Health to quarantine any player," said Searle.

"The view we've taken is that Ashley Harrison has been training with our squad for almost five days now since coming back from Origin and he has shown no signs of influenza-style symptoms.

"If that was the case we'd have to stand our whole squad down.

"I don't understand how Brisbane can stand down a handful of players, surely it's either one or all."

Searle said it was ridiculous that the NSW Health Department had a different view and advice on the situation to Queensland Health.

He said Dragons chief executive Peter Doust had told him by telephone on Monday his players did not have to be quarantined according to NSW Health officials.

Searle said the conflicting (health department) reports made it very confusing.

"Is there a big perspex shield or something on the Queensland border?," joked Searle.

"The game is being played in Queensland. It's either one in or all in.

"I'd hate to think there was an instruction to us (to quarantine players) and not St George.

"What.... we stand down our Origin players and they don't?

The drama unfolded overnight when Queensland forward Ben Hannant and the NSW Origin team physio were confirmed to have contracted swine flu.

Maroons team doctor Roy Saunders notified both Brisbane and North Queensland to quarantined its Origin players for 72 hours.

The quarantine also included Cowboys coach Neil Henry, who was Mal Meninga's assistant and fitness guru Billy Johnstone.

Lockyer confirmed on Monday they were quarantined, and had taken Tamiflu medication as instructed by Queensland Health.

The three-day isolation will affect Brisbane's preparations ahead of Friday night's home clash with the Bulldogs who also have swine flu issues to deal with.

DIEHARD
08-06-09, 02:11 PM
This is amazing, I never imagined this would happen. I was shocked when I heard Ben Hennant had it. After watching all these reports from overseas, here is one of us getting it, the most prominent Aussie yet.

I agree, it's one in all in. I find Doust's excuse laughable. Sighting NSW protocols when his club is in QLD under our juristiction. Why didn't Shappelle Corby think of that excuse when she was caught in Bail? :laugh:

If our players are stood down, theirs must be also. Simple as.

Swine flu puts Titans in doubt
Daniel Meers

THE Gold Coast Titans State of Origin trio could be ruled out of tonight's clash with St George-Illawarra after members of their respective teams contracted swine flu in Melbourne.

The Titans are this morning in limbo as health authorities determine whether co-captain Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi and Ashley Harrison need to be quarantined.

If the players have to be quarantined then they will be ruled out of the blockbuster clash.

Titans coach John Cartwright said the club is playing a waiting game.

``We're not real sure, it's only just come to light in the last half an hour. There's been a case in the Queensland team and also the NSW team,'' he said.

``We're awaiting advice on what we need to do.''

Gold Coaster Ben Hannant, a team mate of Harrison, contracted swine flue while it is understood at least one NSW official had also contracted the flu.

Brisbane and North Queensland's State of Origin rugby league representatives have all been quarantined as a precaution to keep the players away from teammates.

The Broncos had six players - skipper Darren Lockyer, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday, the injured Justin Hodges and NSW halfback Peter Wallace - involved in the interstate clash while the Cowboys have people isolated from the team, including three players.

Queensland Health authorities today issued a statement saying that to date they had no evidence of other players having tested positive to swine flu or displaying flu-type symptoms since the Melbourne match but clubs are being advised of the possibility.

Queensland's Chief Health Officer, Dr Jeannette Young, said team and club doctors were being contacted so that all those who may have been associated with the player could be given appropriate advice.

The Titans trio had trained twice with their home club since returning from Melbourne, unaware they had come in contact with swine flue.

Cartwright said despite having trained together, with no issue, the club would abide by medical advice.

``I'm not a doctor. It's not for me to say what's right or wrong, if the medical people say we're in quarantine then we're in quarantine, simple as that,'' he said.

``We've got to follow the guidelines that we are given.''

Titans CEO Michael Searle said he did not think tonight's fixture would be called off but added the Titans were 'waiting for the official word from the NRL'.

The Titans went for their regular match day walk and swim at Kurrawa beach this morning and are treating today as a normal match day.

``At the moment were all going to be playing until we hear otherwise,'' said Cartwright.

The Dragons have four players, including Gold Coaster Darius Boyd, in the same situation.

The Titans are scheduled to take on the Dragons at Skilled Park tonight at 7pm.

DIEHARD
08-06-09, 02:24 PM
Titans to take the field

THE Gold Coast Titans will not be standing down its State of Origin players from tonight's NRL clash with St George Illawarra despite concerns they may have been subjected to swine flu in Melbourne last week.

While Brisbane and North Queensland's Origin representatives have all been quarantined due to swine flu concerns, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said the club's three Origin representatives - Ashley Harrison, Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi - would not be quarantined.

The Dragons are also expected to field their four Origin reps, Darius Boyd, Ben Creagh Justin Poore and Michael Weyman for the clash.

``We've had no official notification from Queensland Health to quarantine any player,'' said Searle.

``The view we've taken is that Ashley Harrison has been training with our squad for almost five days now since coming back from Origin and he has shown no signs of influenza-style symptoms.

``If that was the case we'd have to stand our whole squad down.

``I don't understand how Brisbane can stand down a handful of players, surely it's either one or all.''

Searle said it was ridiculous that the NSW Health Department had a different view and advice on the situation to Queensland Health.

He said Dragons chief executive Peter Doust had told him by telephone today that his players did not have to be quarantined according to NSW Health officials.

Searle said the conflicting (health department) reports made it very confusing.

``Is there a big perspex shield or something on the Queensland border?,'' joked Searle.

``The game is being played in Queensland. It's either one in or all in.

``I'd hate to think there was an instruction to us (to quarantine players) and not St George.

``What.... we stand down our Origin players and they don't?''

The drama unfolded overnight when Queensland forward Ben Hannant and the NSW Origin team physio were confirmed to have contracted swine flu.

Maroons team doctor Roy Saunders notified both Brisbane and North Queensland to quarantined its Origin players for 72 hours.

The quarantine also included Cowboys coach Neil Henry, who was Mal Meninga's assistant and fitness guru Billy Johnstone.

Lockyer confirmed on Monday they were quarantined, and had taken Tamiflu medication as instructed by Queensland Health.

The three-day isolation will affect Brisbane's preparations ahead of Friday night's home clash with the Bulldogs who also have swine flu issues to deal with.

Dragons
08-06-09, 02:35 PM
Is the game going ahead? I want to get ready but dont want to get there and find it been cancelled.

titanstattman
08-06-09, 02:45 PM
Is the game going ahead? I want to get ready but dont want to get there and find it been cancelled.

Eirther way dude u will be leaving with ur head between ur legs................

Steve
08-06-09, 02:51 PM
Sounds like it's all systems go, so I'm on my way to the train! :salute:

DIEHARD
08-06-09, 03:01 PM
The game will be on. I'm about to head out as well, see you there!

It is going to be a great night of football.

Titan2007
08-06-09, 03:41 PM
It's all systems go ... don't you worry about that !! :D

Titanic
08-06-09, 04:35 PM
Listening live from China as we break the "hoodoo"... lol, what hoodoo?

amaline
08-06-09, 04:38 PM
Swine flu fears see Ashley Harrison, Darius Boyd miss Titans-Dragons match

Queensland State of Origin Players Ashley Harrison and Darius Boyd have been withdrawn from the NRL fixture between Gold Coast Titans and St George Illawarra after quarantine advice from health authorities in regard to swine flu.

The order was made by the NRL after clear advice from the Queensland and New South Wales health departments.

Neither player has shown symptoms of having had the virus, but both were in the same Queensland Origin team as Ben Hannant, who contracted swine flu in Melbourne last week.

All members of the Queensland State of Origin team have now been placed in quarantine, and will remain so for a further 72 hours unless otherwise directed by health authorities.

No quarantine order has been recommended in relation to the NSW team.

Tests on Monday confirmed that NSW trainer Tony Ayoub did not have the H1N1 virus. There are no positive tests confirmed from any NSW team member.

Even though NSW team members played against Hannant, they are deemed to be at significantly less risk of infection than Queensland players who shared a camp environment.

"As frustrating as the wait has been for many people we have spent considerable time consulting health authorities to ensure that we are following all proper advice,” NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"We have needed to consult St George and the Titans in relation to tonight’s match, and Test results in relation to Tony Ayoub which came through late today have also been critical.

"Clearly we are dealing with a major public health issue and the NRL is committed to working closely with the health authorities."

Titans chief executive Michael Searle had previously said the club's three Origin representatives - Harrison and New South wales players Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi would not be quarantined.

The Dragons were also previously expected to field their four Origin players - Boyd and Blues players Ben Creagh, Justin Poore and Michael Weyman.

titanstattman
08-06-09, 05:46 PM
Listening live from China as we break the "hoodoo"... lol, what hoodoo?

We have never beaten the dragons untill tonight............:fist:

Cowboy Titan
08-06-09, 07:59 PM
That's gotta be the best half of football I've seen the Titans play and Nathan Friend has put in the best hooking display I've seen from anyone in a long time.

We've got a great new winger in Brad Meyers. It looked a bit weird having Laffranchi passing to Meyers on the wing but it got the right results.

Go Titans in the 2nd half.

Tamwelg
08-06-09, 09:11 PM
That's gotta be the best half of football I've seen the Titans play

Rung my old man at half time and said the same thing.

Tamwelg
08-06-09, 09:12 PM
You ****en beauty what a win. Dragons lucky to get back in the game. Laffranchi is backe Meyers, Friend, O'dwyer brilliant. We dominated them in the forwards. You little ripper.

teke
08-06-09, 09:40 PM
Was a good game to watch on tele, well done Titans.

karnage
08-06-09, 10:01 PM
Great 1st half. Best 40 mins of the year.

Best performance by the forwards for the year as well. Put Mini and Harro into the pack for Graham and Mathews and with that sort of effort we will be unstoppable.

Great to get the 2 points as well as break the hoodoo.

I just wonder what it would be like to watch a Titans game where he have the result sewn up with 10 or 15 to go. I would have loved to have seen us ice the dragons by maintaining or improving that 28 - 8 scoreline we had with about 30 mins to go.

But that is just nit-picking really.

Bring on the Roosters!!

A win before the bye will see us firmly entrenched in the 4 by the time we face the Warriors at home.

karnage
08-06-09, 10:12 PM
From NRL.com:

In other news, Dragons backrower Neville Costigan was helped off clutching his arm in the 58th minute.

Gold Coast pivot Mat Rogers appeared to suffer a rib injury in the 74th minute and NSW prop Luke Bailey underwent x-rays at halftime for a suspected broken arm but returned to the field by the 63rd.

That does not sound great. Fingers crossed he is OK.

patskE
08-06-09, 11:00 PM
wat u mean it dnt sound great? the rogers one dont but bailey already had the xrays n came back, hardly think he would of played with a broken arm last 20 mins.
man somehow i new we would find a way to stuff up that 1st half lol
wat with all the benefits of the doubts, the video ref's are just trying to cover themselfs how after that hayne no try, i hate it.

Steve
08-06-09, 11:31 PM
The Dragons are a strong side and always finish well, so I was just glad to hold them out.

Brilliant first half, but I think injuries took some of the puff out of the lads.

Meyers double was sensational, especially out on the wing, you can play him anywhere!

karnage
09-06-09, 09:37 AM
wat u mean it dnt sound great? the rogers one dont but bailey already had the xrays n came back, hardly think he would of played with a broken arm last 20 mins.
man somehow i new we would find a way to stuff up that 1st half lol
wat with all the benefits of the doubts, the video ref's are just trying to cover themselfs how after that hayne no try, i hate it.

According to today's Bulletin Bailey won't know the extent of the injury until they complete a bone scan and he played the last 20 in severe pain, turning side on at each impact to lessen the pain in his arm.

I am worried:(

karnage
09-06-09, 10:00 AM
From the Daily Telegraph website:

But after a second consultation, Gold Coast medical staff found a small fracture - making Bailey's reappearance ever more courageous. He now finds himself in quarantine - with the rest of the NSW players - and in doubt for Origin II on June 24 with his arm injury.

"The arm is pretty stiff," Bailey said last night. "Initially they thought it was clear so I came back on.

"But after having a second look, there is something little there. I will have to go for a bone scan. It's minimal. When I came back on I did a lot of one-sided hit-ups."

NSW's other props, Dragons Michael Weyman and Justin Poore, also suffered injuries last night but should be cleared for Origin II.

Doesn't sound good.

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 12:15 PM
Mead, Sailor -- a tale of two wingers
Daniel Meers

WHEN David Mead was growing up in a small Papua New Guinean village, the closest he came to playing rugby league was kicking a cola bottle between his mates.

As Mead once said, running around paddocks and climbing trees was the norm for a kid growing up in Papua New Guinea.

With a few minutes left in the first half of last night's clash against the Dragons, 21-year-old Mead ran on to one of the world's most modern stadiums and began what shapes to be a long, successful rugby league career.

If Mead had any doubts about how tough playing first grade would be, he needed only to look at his opposite number -- Wendell Sailor.

It was the perfect picture of the old and the new.

Mead, a baby-faced debutant, and Sailor, a 30-something dual international and one of the most well known figures in the game.

The dual international was not going to give Mead a free ride, far from it.

Sailor was a man on a mission last night, one of the best on the park. There's a Queensland backline spot available for Origin 2 and he wants it.

Sailor looked one of the few dangerous commodities in an at-times tame Dragons outfit during last night's early exchanges.

He somehow ran from one side of the field to the other and through a handful of Titans players to get a pinpoint Mat Rogers grubber out of the in-goal.

Early in the second half, with the Dragons' first attacking raid going nowhere, Sailor injected himself back into the game and scored a try on the opposite sides of the field.

If ever there was a statement to play Origin, Sailor had made it.

Young Mead was given the job to stop it.

One of Mead's first touches was very much a 'welcome to the big league fella'.

His good mate Esi Tonga threw a hospital pass to Mead on the sideline who, through no fault of his own, was bustled into touch.

He got up, kept his head held high and got on with the job.

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact he had already represented his country before debuting for the Titans.

Mead was strong in the second half.

He was in position, ran with force and made some smart decisions in defence.

With 13 minutes to go a moment came that Mead will kick himself about, but only only because he is a hard marker.

Mead brought a kick out of the in-goal line before he was hammered back into the in-goal by three defenders, and the Dragons got another set.

There wasn't much Mead could do and Sailor gave him a pat on the back.

Another example of the old and the new.

Mead held his own last night.

He began his career in solid fashion.

On the other side of park, Sailor may have begun a new chapter in his representative career.

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 12:18 PM
Titans hang on in Skilled Park thriller
Daniel Meers

ELATED Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright last night declared the Titans' history-making 28-24 win over the St George-Illawarra Dragons as their best of the season.

After three years of trying the Gold Coast finally defeated the Dragons and in doing so stamped themselves as genuine premiership contenders.

No team in the competition had managed to dominate the Dragons in 2009, last night the Titans did.

The first half was simply sublime.

The Titans attacked the Dragons through the middle gaining metres at will while their attack finally clicked.

It looked like the Dragons would run over the top of the Titans in the second half as Luke Bailey, Mat Rogers and Brad Meyers battled injury, and Cartwright ran out of troops.

But they held strong to become equal competition leaders.

"Our football was the best it's been all year at various stages," he said.

"Sometimes its easy to be disappointed, we were leading by so much then to let them back in the game, but I think there were some reasons for that.

"They played very well -- they're very machine like, they don't make any errors and they do the little things well. We ran into a few injury problems in the second half, we didn't have many on the bench."

All season Cartwright had played down a number of the Titans wins but last night he looked happy with what his side produced.

He gave an insight into how the club could be clicking mid season rather than faltering like previous years.

"I got a good feeling during the week, it doesn't always prove right, but we had a long two weeks to prepare for this game, the sessions leading up to this game, the last two, were the best we've done all year energy wise and attitude wise," he said.

From the kick-off the Titans were simply too good.

From one side of the field to the other, from forwards to backs the Titans were dangerous.

Scott Prince, Rogers and Preston Campbell conducted the show.

Meyers, Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi led things up front.

The first try came in the 15th minute when Chris Walker regathered a Prince kick to score under the posts.

The Titans were at it again three minutes later when Meyers scored the first of a double.

It was young gun Esi Tonga's turn next on the back of an clever backline play.

Preston Campbell drew in Wendell Sailor before he passed to Tonga who went over to score.

The Titans put the final hammer in the Dragons coffin in the 39th minute when Prince went crossfield before Laffranchi and Meyers turned centre and winger to send Meyers over in the corner.

The Dragons scored three tries in the first 20 minutes of the second half and looked as though they would run over the Titans, but the Gold Coast held strong and recorded their first win over the Big Red V.

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 12:54 PM
How good was it to finally beat the Dragons? Another bogey bites the dust. We have now beaten every team in the NRL! A very sweet victory, especially at home to maintain our perfect record at the Fortress.

They are the form team of the NRL, not doubt and we got over them. We can take a lot of credit away from it.

The Dragons are notorious for coming for the entire 80 and surfacing in the 2nd half. It was very tense seeing them rise in the second half and willing the Titans to hold on.

I was delighted more than ever to see the Gold Coast put on the attack in the first half, I was thinking anything was possible with another 40mins to come.

Meyers was amazing, he probably would have gotten a hatrick if he didn't get that headknock. Well done Big Red! Mead had a solid debut and against tough opposition in Sailor. He has a big future. Friend was great for us, loved his hit on Soward and seeing him go down like a sack of potatoes. Walker as well was great and O'Dwyer. Zillman wasn't too flash and it seems he has been down on form lately after a stellar begining to the season. But he is all class and will come around.

We missed Ash, no doubt he is alot more important to our game than Boyd was to the Saints. Ash is our quiet achiever but he is tireless.

Also, there is a replay of this game on at 4pm on Fox Sports 2.

Coaster
09-06-09, 01:02 PM
Great display from our boys, if Myers and Bull are fit, we have a chance at the ring this year.

Myers is by far my favorite player at the moment, the guy is such a humble and almost shy fella, yet is one of the most intimidating and forceful runners of the football. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Him and Bailey left the field, we lost all momentum.

No one will like me saying this, but i left the ground cheesed off at our second half, we had them by the neck, and refused to strangle them to death. I except injuries and good play from Dragons was the reason, but we really needed to put them to sleep, and the game nearly slipped from us.

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 01:15 PM
Yea, we need to develop that killer instinct, which we lack. We need to learn to put teams to the sword. Losing Bull and Red wouldn't have helped, they were the main reason we dominated the Dragons in the 1st and denied them so many yards. As Pete says Boof was awesome for us and definitely his best in 09. Gee we did a good job at that and that is the way you slay the Dragons.

NRLSTATS report -> http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match2189.html

Why is the crowd listed in many places as 24,106 when at the game it was announced as 20,odd?

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 02:21 PM
The View - Round 13

The Last Laugh:

Gold Coast Titans continue to defy the doomsayers who say they are headed for a dramatic fall. On the contrary, Monday night’s impressive victory has pushed them into a share of the lead with the Bulldogs and Dragons – and they must now be taken seriously as genuine premiership hopefuls. The main source of their success has been their incredible home form – Newcastle, Bulldogs, Manly, Canberra, Souths and St George have all tasted defeat on their visits to Skilled Stadium. But their away form hasn’t been too shabby either – as Melbourne Storm and North Queensland have found out to their detriment. They are coming out of a very tough patch of games and must be looking forward to their upcoming schedule which includes matches against the Roosters, Warriors, Raiders and Eels. In other words, don’t expect a fade out this season.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 04:00 PM
Replay now starting on Fox Sports 2.... Should be enjoyable and insightful.

Dragons
09-06-09, 05:35 PM
Well done Titans, you smashed us in that first forty. When Bull left the field we scored a couple of tries. Thoughly deserve win. Did any one at the ground feel the temperature drop real quick?

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 05:42 PM
Well done Titans, you smashed us in that first forty. When Bull left the field we scored a couple of tries. Thoughly deserve win. Did any one at the ground feel the temperature drop real quick?

Yea, I was freezing, as was most of us in The Legion. I kept my jacket and beanie on until kick off and straight back on at full time.

Anyone see the massive lines for food? Even when the game started for the 2nd half people didn't budge. I bailed and cut my loses. Obviously everyone got a craving for some hot food cause of the gold.

They ran out of either cups at the coffee shop at the northern end. No hot drinks. I also saw Steve get a hot chocolate. ;)

dee13
09-06-09, 05:53 PM
Yea, I was freezing, as was most of us in The Legion. I kept my jacket and beanie on until kick off and straight back on at full time.

Anyone see the massive lines for food? Even when the game started for the 2nd half people didn't budge. I bailed and cut my loses. Obviously everyone got a craving for some hot food cause of the gold.

They ran out of either cups at the coffee shop at the northern end. No hot drinks. I also saw Steve get a hot chocolate. ;)

I don't know why you're all complaning about the cold. I love winter games. Only cos I have the hottest seat(I mean suit) in the house.

Coaster
09-06-09, 05:58 PM
The temp dropped dramatically just before kick off, was the coldest beer ive ever had at Skilled.

Just on beer: I bought 4 beers and they charged me $24.50

They charged me 50cent for the bloody tray!!!!!!

Seriously is there not enough mark up on the beer, 24 dollars for 4 cups of warm flat light beer, disgrace.

Paul
09-06-09, 06:11 PM

At half time I went from being chilly to effing freezing,so much so that by full time my fingers wouldn't bend and my hands were stinging from numbness

I'd just like to point out how admirable I found the dragons after the match.I went home and watched the game (I taped it and the post game show) and Dean Young,Ben Hornby and Wayne Bennett made absolutely no excuses,praised us for the way we played and admitted to their fans they were simply not good enough in the first 40. It was nice to hear a team making no excuses and telling it how it was.

also,he may be fat and old but big del was amazing all game.he ran the ball up more than his forwards,defended well and his run out of the in goal was brilliant.

titanstattman
09-06-09, 06:51 PM
I don't know why you're all complaning about the cold. I love winter games. Only cos I have the hottest seat(I mean suit) in the house.

Im with u i dont know wat u all going on about with the temp it was great...........weather for the footy....

Wat a win for the boys maybe know ppl might relize we are the real deal...........

karnage
09-06-09, 06:59 PM
The temp dropped dramatically just before kick off, was the coldest beer ive ever had at Skilled.

Just on beer: I bought 4 beers and they charged me $24.50

They charged me 50cent for the bloody tray!!!!!!

Seriously is there not enough mark up on the beer, 24 dollars for 4 cups of warm flat light beer, disgrace.

I'm used to the price of beer by now - what really began to annoy me last night was the new ploy of playing ads when everyone looks up to the bigscreen for a replay after a dropped ball or a big hit etc. You try to get a feel for the game with strips or whatever and all you get is an ad for Robina Town Centre.

I understand the need for advertisisng but this is WAY over the top!!

kwigibo
09-06-09, 08:24 PM
I'm used to the price of beer by now - what really began to annoy me last night was the new ploy of playing ads when everyone looks up to the bigscreen for a replay after a dropped ball or a big hit etc. You try to get a feel for the game with strips or whatever and all you get is an ad for Robina Town Centre.

Here here. I hate that aggressive trickster marketing, and when I watch replays of games I've attended I'm always seeing things that I missed completely at the game, or seeing them in a really different light. Did we get any replays last night that weren't video referrals? I would have liked to see if Hornby was onside for that try while we were there, Aami's getting off too lightly otherwise.

TITAN PETE
09-06-09, 09:25 PM

Also when they play any add or music it's played at the Loudest Volume possible :mad:

I agree with Coaster , i nearly choked when they added the 50c for the joy of buying watered down $6 plastic cups of crap in a cardboard tray & they've also added 20c for any sauce,mustard etc :ugh:

Steelers
09-06-09, 11:54 PM
Going to watch the replay tomorrow. The best team won, I unfortunately have to admit. Couple of things though.

Benefit of the Doubt. Every video referee decision was a benefit of the doubt try. Brad Meyer's first was not deserving of the try or the Benefit of the Doubt if you ask me.

What is the deal with taps over the head. I honestly don't see the difference between the 3 that have occured this season, yet the first one, the precedent setter, is the only one to be denied.

Our benefit of the doubt try was a clear cut try. I didn't see what doubt there was.

Matt Cooper needs to learn to pass the ball. Early in the game whenever we made an attacking move along the backline, Coops would get it and try to do a Gasnier. He isn't that sort of centre. And someone has to bloody follow Ben Creagh when he is running the ball. He is capable of offloading every bloody time! We could have made so many more metres if someone just ran with him in support.

Wendell Sailor is alot more than a winger. He was everywhere in attack. He is a vital cog in our side and is no longer just a novelty player. He deserves to be picked for Origin because he is simply in amazing form. He isn't quick, but he doesn't need to be. And the try that the Titans scored on their wing when he came in wasn't his fault. Soward was defending in the centres and slipped, so if Dell doesn't head in then the Titans centre scores in a big gap.

Prince seemed to enjoy talking to the referee whenever we had a decision go our way. Speaking of decisions, you got alot of them in the first 20 minutes, which combined with our sub-standard defence allowed you to rack up the points.

That's all I can remember from the game, I'll have to watch the replay. But well done Titans, you played better than we did and got the 2 points. Hope to see you in the finals with us.

Paul
10-06-09, 07:31 AM
What is the deal with taps over the head. I honestly don't see the difference between the 3 that have occured this season, yet the first one, the precedent setter, is the only one to be denied.

The Hayne one was alot different because the fullback was making a genuine play at the ball and Hayne purposely tapped it over his head. On Monday night Nightingale was already halfway to the turf after slipping over before walker got there so he wasn't being disadvantaged by Walker tapping it the way he did.

Steve
10-06-09, 08:13 AM
The Hayne one was alot different because the fullback was making a genuine play at the ball and Hayne purposely tapped it over his head. On Monday night Nightingale was already halfway to the turf after slipping over before walker got there so he wasn't being disadvantaged by Walker tapping it the way he did.

Plus it seemed to me he wasn't tapping at the ball, he was trying to grab it but it bounced off his fingers.

As for the first Meyers try, he forced it with the palm of his hand. You're right, no doubt... just a try. Much better than others awarded with downward pressure from the forearm, chest, etc.

Dragons
10-06-09, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Steelers;251179]
Matt Cooper needs to learn to pass the ball. Early in the game whenever we made an attacking move along the backline, Coops would get it and try to do a Gasnier. He isn't that sort of centre.

The only thing Cooper is good at is his defence. Not one of my favourite players.

titanstattman
10-06-09, 07:16 PM
Hey did any1 else notice that the boys were wear diffent pants??

Or was it just me but they seemed abit lighter than norm.......

Dragons
10-06-09, 07:19 PM
Hey did any1 else notice that the boys were wear diffent pants??

Or was it just me but they seemed abit lighter than norm.......

I just watch the footy not there bums :D

titanstattman
10-06-09, 07:21 PM
I just watch the footy not there bums :D

Yeah im expecting titan pete or diehard to know the ans

Paul
10-06-09, 07:34 PM
I think the light blue shorts looked much better than our normal white ones. Our home strip looked complete all one colour instead of splitting it up with white shorts

titanstattman
10-06-09, 07:35 PM
I think the light blue shorts looked much better than our normal white ones. Our home strip looked complete all one colour instead of splitting it up with white shorts

Hahaha so im not the only one

Dragons
10-06-09, 07:43 PM
Hahaha so im not the only one

Brothers in Arms :D

DIEHARD
10-06-09, 07:48 PM
We usually wear white shorts, it's very out of the ordinary and we haven't done it for a long time. I'm not sure why we wore our away shorts. But it is the sort of interesting tid bit I am interested in.

It was the first thing I noticed as they ran out. But it proved to be lucky!

titanstattman
10-06-09, 07:50 PM
We usually wear white shorts, it's very out of the ordinary and we haven't dont it for a long time. I'm not sure why we wore our away shorts. But it is the sort of interesting tid bit I am interested in.

It was the first thing I noticed as they ran out. But it proved to be lucky!

I say it would of been the dragons wearing white shorts aswell.....But they also should keep it that way they looked good.....

Supergoose
10-06-09, 08:30 PM
I noticed it as well. I don't mind it but I reckon the side panel should be gold like the side of the jumper - the white panel doesn't flow properly. It does give us a different look to the white and we should try and differentiate ourselves from the other teams whenever we can.

TITAN PETE
10-06-09, 09:00 PM
Yeah im expecting titan pete or diehard to know the ans

Home jersey away shorts :p

DIEHARD
10-06-09, 09:03 PM
I think it looked good. But I definitely prefer the white shorts.

But then again I also prefer the Jetstar logo with the white background on the home jersey over the one with a blue background we saw featured on Titans jerseys when the sponsorship was first announced way back when.

Luckily I just love our colours, you can't go wrong.

Steel Dragon
15-06-09, 12:09 AM
A belated congratulations from me now I've found where the forum sneaked off to. The better team won on the night, but I was proud of the way my boys turned it around in the second 40. Hopefully the Dogs, Donkeys, and Storm all fall in a heap and we finish 1-2 by a margin. :D