PDA

View Full Version : Round 10 Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans

Tamwelg
11-05-09, 01:08 PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx11419.jpg V http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg
Suncorp Stadium - Friday, May 15, 7:30pm

Gates Open: 5:00pm
Under 20s: 5:20pm
Kick off NRL: 7:35pm

TITANS

1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Josh Graham
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Michael Henderson
10. Nathan Friend
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Will Matthews
16. Luke O'Dwyer
17. William Zillman

18. Bodene Thompson
19. Brad Meyers
20. Esi Tonga

BRONCOS

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Steve Michaels
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer ?
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. PJ Marsh
10. Joel Clinton
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ben Te’o
13. Corey Parker

14. Ashton Sims
15. Lagi Setu
16. Palmer Wapau
17. Alex Glenn
18. Andrew McCullough

GCT_89
11-05-09, 04:15 PM
BRING IT ON!!!!

ive got front row seats in the away section 317? from memory....

then caxton afterwards to celebrate the win....then valley for my mates 21st....YEW!

im assuming we're sweating on walker and laffranchi.....

hodges and hunt still out for broncos?

anyone else?

amaline
11-05-09, 04:34 PM
Broncos sweat over Hodges, Hunt injuries
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54826

Brisbane fullback Karmichael Hunt is expected to be fit for Friday's NRL local derby showdown with the Gold Coast but Test centre Justin Hodges is rated "touch and go".

However, Broncos hooker Aaron Gorrell will definitely miss the clash and spend a few weeks on the sidelines after again damaging the AC joint in his shoulder during Sunday's 22-20 loss to Manly.

Tamwelg
11-05-09, 04:36 PM
Walker has been cleared. Laffeanchi will miss this game with a 1 game suspension. Anyone know what happened to Tonga? Campbell's hamy?

amaline
11-05-09, 04:36 PM
Laffranchi in danger of missing Qld derby
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54826

Gold Coast backrower Anthony Laffranchi is in danger of missing Friday night's local derby against Brisbane after the Test representative was charged with striking by the NRL match-review committee.

Laffranchi was hit with a grade-one infringement for his forearm to the head of Newcastle prop Mark Taufua in the 21st minute of Sunday's match at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

He was the only player charged following the weekend's games.

Looks like Walker is ok.

DIEHARD
11-05-09, 04:37 PM
Ok here we go. The biggest rugby league EVENT in Queensland next to State of Origin. Every game a guaranteed epic.

If you haven't got tickets yet, please go get them as soon as possible, there is still plenty left in the away supporters bay. At least for the time being.

Me, Goat and Steve are in row 14.

I'm sweating on the fitness of Hunt and Hodges, it would really throw their backline and attack into disarray if they were sidelined.

Both the Broncos and Titans will be searching for wins after loses this weekend. Which means neither side is likely to be complacent.

It's time for the Gold Coast to prove itself! Let's rock!

amaline
11-05-09, 04:37 PM
Walker has been cleared. Laffeanchi will miss this game with a 1 game suspension. Anyone know what happened to Tonga? Campbell's hamy?

I think they said that Tonga was just dropped in favour of Graham. Didn't really say why.

DIEHARD
11-05-09, 04:38 PM
Brisbane Broncos Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges battling injury

Brisbane Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt is expected to be fit for Friday's NRL local derby showdown with the Gold Coast Titans but Test centre Justin Hodges is rated "touch and go".

However, Broncos hooker Aaron Gorrell will definitely miss the clash and spend a few weeks on the sidelines after again damaging the AC joint in his shoulder during Sunday's 22-20 loss to Manly.

Hunt (corked thigh) and Hodges (hamstring), who were sorely missed against the defending premiers at Suncorp Stadium, will have their injuries checked later in the week.

Gorrell, who displayed tremendous courage to stick out the last 20 minutes against the Sea Eagles despite being in considerable pain, had the injury confirmed after a scan on Monday and the club will know the full extent of the problem by Tuesday.

"He showed a lot of heart to guts that injury out on Sunday, it was a pretty fair effort on his part to do that," said Broncos physical performance director Dean Benton.

"I can't rap the guy enough, I don't think he's made an error all year."

Benton also admitted the Broncos staff faced a delicate balancing act to prepare the players for the visit of the five-placed Titans.

Skipper Darren Lockyer, halfback Peter Wallace and winger Israel Folau are all set to back-up for their third game in seven days.

"Hunt should come up okay this week and Hodgo is certainly a concern and he'll be touch and go," said Benton.

"It will only be seven days since he presented with (hamstring) symptoms after the Test match and given his injury history he will need to be carefully assessed by the physio and medical staff."

Brisbane won't train until Wednesday, giving the players 48 hours to recover in a short week.

The Titans also face a difficult preparation and had Test forward Anthony Laffranchi charged on Monday with a striking offence that could see him miss Friday's match.

"Obviously they (players) are leg weary but the biggest thing is mental fatigue," said Benton.

"These guys suffer huge adrenalin dumps and have to get themselves up mentally and overcome muscle soreness."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
11-05-09, 04:38 PM
Is Walker in the clear?

patskE
11-05-09, 04:56 PM
tonga > graham tbh lol

Coaster
11-05-09, 05:01 PM
Hodges and Hunt will be fit no doubt, this is just as big for them as it is for us.

Who will be marking Folou? the boys need to lift there discipline 100% if we want to win this thing, if we hand Brisbane cheap penalties we will get toasted, they are the best attacking side within 20 meters.

Best way to beat Brisbane, is attack there middle, they are soft in the center, heaps of cheap yards. I would like to see Myers replace Lafrancri in the second row, and bring in another big forward for the bench.

Tamwelg
11-05-09, 06:11 PM
I think they said that Tonga was just dropped in favour of Graham. Didn't really say why.

WTF, that is outragous.

Supergoose
11-05-09, 07:21 PM
To be honest none of our centres have set the world alight. Delaney is good in patches but his lack of discipline and poor passes to his winger are getting a bit much. I'm not sure it's necessarily their fault though. The players inside them need to take some responsibility and make sure they get some early ball occasionally. Tonga hasn't done much and I think that we've deserted the Mat Rogers experiment too early.

Boofhead
11-05-09, 08:04 PM
Hope they fight the charge, you can't replace a player like Boof.

Want to see this team...

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Rogers
4. Delaney
5. Walker
6. Campbell
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Harrison

14. Cannings
15. Meyers
16. Graham
17. O'Dwyer

DIEHARD
11-05-09, 08:54 PM
I think we need to deploy our most lethal side. So that means Zillman plays 80mins, Rogers to centre and Preston to 5/8th.

hicksey
11-05-09, 09:13 PM
hey ppl what time is everyone heading up. i would like to be up to watch the u20s play. so whos catching the train up ???

DIEHARD
11-05-09, 09:41 PM
GREAT TICKETS LEFT FOR SOUTH-EAST QLD BLOCKBUSTER

There are over 15,000 tickets still available for Friday's blockbuster clash between the WOW Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans, when bragging rights will go up for grabs.

The two south-east Queensland clubs have played four matches to date, with the honours split at two games all.

The Titans won the original clash between the two teams at Suncorp Stadium - which was their 'home' game - while the Broncos have prevailed in the last two at their home ground.

The Titans won the only game played at Skilled Park by 26-24 last year.

Suncorp matches between the two teams have been traditionally close, with the past two both decided in golden-point extra time.

In 2007 Darren Lockyer broke the match deadlock with a field goal that cannoned off both posts before going through, while a golden-point try to Bronco Greg Eastwood decided the game last year.

Tickets are available through http://www.Ticketek.com.au or by going to club website http://www.broncos.com.au

Broncos v Titans History - Match Results

Played 4, Broncos 2, Titans 2

BRONCOS 25 d. TITANS 21 at Suncorp Stadium;
TITANS 26 d. BRONCOS 24 at Skilled Park.

BRONCOS 19 d. TITANS 18 at Suncorp Stadium;
TITANS 28 d. BRONCOS 16 at Suncorp Stadium.

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au

Dummy Half
12-05-09, 11:03 AM
I've got my tickets! I'll be there! :D
-

Tamwelg
12-05-09, 12:33 PM
Titans

1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Josh Graham
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c) (In doubt with calf strain)
9. Michael Henderson
10. Nathan Friend
11. Anthony Laffranchi (will fight the charge)
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Aaron Cannings
15. Will Matthews
16. Luke O'Dwyer
17. William Zillman

18. Bodene Thompson
19. Brad Meyers
20. Esi Tonga

Tamwelg
12-05-09, 12:35 PM
I really can't see what Esi Tonga did wrong to get dropped. He is a much better center then Graham IMO and I though he and Gordon had a goof combination starting.

Tamwelg
12-05-09, 12:38 PM
Broncos

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Steve Michaels
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer ?
7. Peter Wallace
8. Nick Kenny
9. PJ Marsh
10. Joel Clinton
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ben Te?o
13. Corey Parker

14. Ashton Sims
15. Lagi Setu
16. Palmer Wapau
17. Alex Glenn
18. Andrew McCullough

Steve
12-05-09, 01:34 PM
I really can't see what Esi Tonga did wrong to get dropped. He is a much better center then Graham IMO and I though he and Gordon had a goof combination starting.

Agreed. Definitely had more in attack, and we're really lacking there. Maybe they're looking for Graham to nullify Folau, but really i'd rather just outscore them than try to keep them to nothing.

titanstattman
12-05-09, 02:28 PM

Esi has done nothing wrong carty has a plan up his sleeve.....

Also with Boof he will not play this week im 99.9% sure on that he will get a week............

kwigibo
12-05-09, 03:56 PM
Esi shold be there to mark Folau, Graham and Gordon are less likely to be able to contest the high ball against him.

DIEHARD
12-05-09, 04:07 PM
Buy your tickets guys and girls! Plenty left at the moment.

I'm convincing a good few newbies to have their first taste of rugby league this Friday,. Might as well introduce them with the BEST!

Greg81
12-05-09, 05:00 PM
Just got my free tix for this today. 3rd time in a row for this game at Suncorp, lets see a Titans win at full-time instead of a tied up score.

patskE
12-05-09, 05:28 PM
dnt get this esi n josh move
sigh, iam a bit emo atm now
loved tonga n gordan's combo

Steve
12-05-09, 05:37 PM
dnt get this esi n josh move
sigh, iam a bit emo atm now
loved tonga n gordan's combo

I believe I speak on behalf of most of the forum when I say... What?

GCT_07
12-05-09, 05:43 PM
PMSL :D :D :D (the laughing smilie has gone.......:mad: )

Ryan
12-05-09, 05:49 PM
u'd fink u'd hav figud owt ptskis tipeing by now aye steev
we cud almost brag bout noing a 2nd langage or a speshel tipe of code or sumfink

Tamwelg
12-05-09, 06:48 PM

Here here. Patske, everyone here would appreciate it if you posted in full sentences.

jasbec
12-05-09, 08:06 PM
i reckon carty should test walkers defence put him to mark folau.......... speed bump............

Boofhead
12-05-09, 09:08 PM
u'd fink u'd hav figud owt ptskis tipeing by now aye steev
we cud almost brag bout noing a 2nd langage or a speshel tipe of code or sumfink

Hahaha. :D :D :D

Supergoose
12-05-09, 10:41 PM
The Graham move seems to be a negative one. He's not a bad hole runner though. I wish we had a creative centre that could get Gordon some space. Oh that's right we do, but he's playing 5/8. Maybe Graham will be able to get some ball to Gordon in space if Rogers can create a 3 on 2. Wish we still had Gavin Cooper - Gordon would be amazing running off him. Let's hope we can hold the ball and our discipline against the Broncos. If we don't we could get punished badly. If we do we can win!

teke
12-05-09, 11:29 PM
Tonga hasnt really been doing much at centre for most of the year. I think the club has a few other attacking options in the centres with the likes of Rogers, Taga and Kingi. It seems to me that Carty favours the defensive centres who can double up as Second rowers in emergencies which isnt a bad thing.

Im of the belief that Rogers best position is the centres and should stay out there with Gordon.

dean
13-05-09, 07:57 AM
i reckon carty should test walkers defence put him to mark folau.......... speed bump............

Who is mark folau ?
Why do you call mark falou a speed bump ?

Ryan
13-05-09, 09:42 AM
Who is mark folau ?
Why do you call mark falou a speed bump ?
I think she means Chris Walker would be the speed hump trying to mark Israel Folau.......

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 09:43 AM
If Titans Members check their inboxes they will see that the club has sent them a fantastic offer for family tickets to the away game at Suncorp Stadium.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/broncostitansoffer.jpg

Let's make sure that Suncorp Stadium is a sea of blue, gold and white!

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 10:19 AM
Prince plans M1 about-turn

DARREN Lockyer and Suncorp Stadium usually equals a bad night for Titans skipper Scott Prince.

The Broncos veteran has ensured the Gold Coast's last two trips up the M1 ended in golden-point tears.

But Titans maestro Prince is hoping to end the trend and celebrate his 200th NRL game in style when he runs out against the Broncos in Brisbane on Friday.

"As a kid growing up, certainly the Broncos was one of my favourite teams," said Prince.

"To play my 200th against them is something special and against the world's best in Darren Lockyer ... I am looking forward to it."

In 2007, Kangaroos and Queensland captain Lockyer landed that famous 40m field goal in extra time to seal a 19-18 victory.

Have your say on the feedback form below

You know the one. The kick that launched off his left boot, hung in the air for an eternity, hit the right then left uprights before falling over the cross bar.

All Prince could do was watch on from the sheds after being mowed down by man mountain David Taylor. Later he was taken to hospital with a badly damaged shoulder.

Last year Prince travelled to Suncorp seeking a different outcome -- but the end was eerily similar.

After Prince and Lockyer traded golden-point shots at field goal, the Brisbane veteran shaped to have another attempt before changing his mind and running the ball.

The play sent Brisbane back-rower Greg Eastwood in to score, sinking the Titans 25-21.

At least Prince didn't finish up in hospital but the result ended any chance the Titans had of playing finals footy.

This time if it goes to golden point, Prince will be ready -- determined not to let Brisbane spoil his party the same way Newcastle soured Lockyer's 300th game.

"I am sure it might come to that," said Prince.

"But hopefully we get a crack first before Locky does.

"It is a game we like to mark on our calendar.

"It is the local derby, big brother versus little brother and it is always a very close match and a tough, fair game."

The thought of Suncorp Stadium and golden point is by now enough to send Titans coach John Cartwright into a cold sweat.

"We have had no luck with the golden points," he said.

"Hopefully it doesn't get to that stage.

"It is a bit hard on the nerves, the golden points."

Career threatening injuries, representative selections and snubs, an NRL premiership, the Scott Prince story has had it all.

"It has been a rollercoaster ride but I have loved every minute of it," said Prince.

"Over my career I have had some very good times and some not so good times.

"I feel privileged to get paid for something I love doing."

But there are still quite a few scenes that need to be written.

Starting with Lockyer on Friday night, where this time Prince is the hero.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

jasbec
13-05-09, 12:42 PM
I think she means Chris Walker would be the speed hump trying to mark Israel Folau.......

Well done mate thank you for guiding him through that for me

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 03:23 PM
Gold Coast Titans' Scott Prince in doubt for match with Brisbane Broncos

Gold Coast Titans halfback Scott Prince is in doubt for Friday night's Queensland derby against Brisbane Broncos after injuring a hamstring.

The Titans co-captain sustained the injury at training on Wednesday.

Prince's injury adds to a list of concerns for both the Titans and Broncos ahead of the derby shootout at Suncorp Stadium. Brisbane fullback Karmichael Hunt (corked thigh), Gold Coast prop Luke Bailey (calf injury) and Broncos centre Justin Hodges (hamstring injury) all have question marks against their names.

Titans second-rower Anthony Laffranchi will front the judiciary on Wednesday night to plead not guilty to a low-grade striking charge.

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 03:24 PM
OMG I hope Scott is going to play. No need to say how devastating his loss would be to the Titans.

dee13
13-05-09, 03:38 PM
OMG I hope Scott is going to play. No need to say how devastating his loss would be to the Titans.

Very very interesting senario.

Scott Prince in doubt.
Brad Davis is still injured.
??????? Our options are Lacey and Rankin but I think Jordan is also injured.

I brought up this topic a few weeks ago when Scott could be out due to playing Origin.

Coaster
13-05-09, 03:51 PM
It would be Preston to half, zillman to fullback rest unchanged, im still not convinced, i think these may be a few mind games

daveyk
13-05-09, 03:54 PM
who is going up on the train on friday and at what time are you looking at leaving????

gates open @ 5pm

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 03:55 PM
I hope it is mindgames, I'm all for mind games.

Preston to half for sure if Prince is out. Keep Rogers at 5/8th.

In Broncos news, Hunt trained today and looks certain to start and Hodges will begin training tomorrow.

curly_11
13-05-09, 03:59 PM
Presto is nursing a hamstring strain as well!!! If they are both out i think it then up to Kayne Lawton....please tell me this is mind games!

Coaster
13-05-09, 04:14 PM
Preston and Prince would play with 1 leg if they had to for this one, its classic mind games imo, Broncos have been playing it also all week, undersell and over deliver.

We will be up for this one have no doubt, is Titans Tv on yet? I wanna hear if they ask my question.

titanstattman
13-05-09, 04:14 PM
He looked pretty good on tues at training so im guessing mind games.......

titanstattman
13-05-09, 04:15 PM
Preston and Prince would play with 1 leg if they had to for this one, its classic mind games imo, Broncos have been playing it also all week, undersell and over deliver.

We will be up for this one have no doubt, is Titans Tv on yet? I wanna hear if they ask my question.

Wat was ur Q?????????

Coaster
13-05-09, 04:17 PM
this was it

Question for Scotty

Mate could you please tell me if in Cartys commandments we keep hearing about, there is anything in there about discipline?

The last few weeks we as fans have been watching in frustration as the team just ignores basic rules of the game, and allows teams to escape any form of pressure built from good play with cheap penalties.

6 or 7 have even come when we have had the football.

Thanks in advance and lets smash those donkeys Friday
Coaster

titanstattman
13-05-09, 04:18 PM
this was it

Question for Scotty

Nah sorry dude they didnt read it out??????/

Wen did u write it in....U know if they dont like it they wpont read it.......LOL

Coaster
13-05-09, 04:25 PM
Sent it monday night, they should read it to him, we as fans all want to know if they are addressing there discipline.

Sticking your head in the sand, and blaming the refs will get us nowhere, the only thing we can change is our attitude.

titanstattman
13-05-09, 04:29 PM
Sent it monday night, they should read it to him, we as fans all want to know if they are addressing there discipline.

Sticking your head in the sand, and blaming the refs will get us nowhere, the only thing we can change is our attitude.

Oh u so right there i did like a letter that got sent in saying titans fans harden up and suck it up and stop playing the refs all the time as we have so much to work on our selfs...... and IMO they better hurry up if they want sep footy.....

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 04:33 PM
Israel Folau skips training, Broncos still sweating on Justin Hodges

WITH the Broncos sweating on the fitness of Justin Hodges, preparations for Friday night's local derby were further disrupted when Israel Folau failed to train.

Team officials are not concerned about Folau but are still worried Hodges won't recover from the hamstring strain he picked up in last week's Test match.

The Broncos are out to break a two-game losing streak when they host the in-form Gold Coast Titans.

Titans playmaker Scott Prince will play his 200th NRL match when he leads his side out on to Suncorp Stadium for the southeast Queensland showdown.Full story: Read more on Scott Prince's 200th match hereBut Broncos prop David Taylor won't feature in the match. Taylor, who remains without a contract for next season, was yesterday overlooked for Brisbane's NRL side for a fourth successive week.

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

dee13
13-05-09, 04:35 PM

Im in agreeance Coaster. Our discipline leaves alot to be desired. I am always yelling at Boof in particular when he lays on the ball carrier in tackles.

We need to be setting up wins throughout the game not the final minutes. We are a good enough team to not have to worry about a refereeing decision in the dying minutes. We should have already won the game by then.

We need to look at the game as a whole and not base the otcome on the refereeing decisions.

amaline
13-05-09, 04:39 PM
EDIT: Missed it when it was posted the first time.

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 04:54 PM
Hopefully we will get at least 45k. Should be a sell out though. Maybe the Test Match took up a lot of the oxygen in the media. Didn't get much of a lead up.

I'm hoping Preston is fit. Who could forget his courage last year, even though we lost, I got so much solace out of his feat playing with his jaw broken for over 40mins....

dee13
13-05-09, 05:02 PM
The NRL have really failed this week in promoting the fact that it is the Heritage Round. I would have thought the NRL could have done something special at each game. I haven't seen anything on TV. All I saw was a 1 page ad in last weeks Big League magazine and it didn't even promote the Titans V Boncos game.

Imagine past legends and prominent players being introduced before the game and forming an honour guard for the players to run on the field.

Rage
13-05-09, 05:43 PM
Congrats to Princey on his 200th game.

TITAN PETE
13-05-09, 05:48 PM
I just heard on the radio that Prince is in doubt due to a hamstring strain during kicking practice today..........along with Boof & Bull in doubt this makes for bad reading before our Biggest match of the year :(

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 06:00 PM
We need Bull out there, especially in the form he displayed last weekend, particularly in the Test.

I guess it is going to be a watchful couple of days looking out for results of Laffranchi and also our injury status.

GCT_89
13-05-09, 06:05 PM
this will be Anthony Laffranchi*, and Mark Minichello's 50th games for our club, The Mighty Gold Coast Titans!!!!!! much better milestone then the highly anticipated 200 nrl games for prince.....IMO

* If he plays

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 06:19 PM
Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans
Friday 7.35pm (EST), Suncorp Stadium

The Adjudicator says: "Every year Brisbane whinge and moan about how the representative season is in place solely to plot their downfall. So clearly there were other factors at work when the Broncos stopped caring against Manly. Gold Coast fans can ready themselves for a fresh helping of deja vu - as at this time last year, when the Titans slipped from the top of the table to NRL anonymity. Expect more of the same as Gold Coast's stumble turns into landslide."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 06:21 PM
This Adjudicator is an idiot. This time last year we beat the Broncos at Skilled Park 26-24. ;)

DIEHARD
13-05-09, 06:43 PM
Titans sweating over Prince injury scare

Gold Coast halfback Scott Prince has thrown a scare into the Titans camp on the eve of his 200th premiership game after feeling a "twinge" in his hamstring at training on Wednesday.

While Prince is still expected to notch up his career milestone against his former club Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, his hamstring scare was the last thing the Titans needed with fellow co-captain Luke Bailey in serious doubt with a calf injury.

A question mark also hangs over test back-rower Anthony Laffranchi, who is facing the NRL's judiciary on Wednesday evening hoping to beat a grade one striking charge.

The Titans chances will crash if both Laffranchi and Bailey miss the local derby and be almost impossible if Prince's hamstring turns out to be worse than first thought.

Prince missed two games for the Titans earlier this season - the club claiming victories over the Bulldogs and Melbourne in his absence.

He felt a pain in his hamstring while doing "extras" after team training on Wednesday morning.

Brisbane meanwhile are confident fullback Karmichael Hunt (corked thigh) will pass a fitness test at Red Hill on Thursday morning after missing last week's loss to Manly.

Test centre Justin Hodges (hamstring) though is no certainty to play although he trained on Wednesday and will be re-assessed along with Hunt on Thursday.

Hodges, who scored two tries in his comeback game for Australia against New Zealand last Friday, looked proppy and only a 50-50 chance of playing.

The clash is tipped to attract a crowd of more than 40,000 with two of their previous four clashes being decided by golden point.

"There's been some real crackers and it's built up a tradition in its very short history," said Broncos coach Ivan Henjak.

"What I've seen so far in the clashes we've had they've been pretty ferocious.

"You certainly don't need to focus the players.

"We've lost two games so I'd expect them (players) to be as focused as they'd ever be."

Source: http://www.NRL.com / AAP

Boofhead
13-05-09, 08:35 PM
Worst case scenario:

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Tonga
4. Delaney
5. Walker
6. Rogers (c)
7. Rankin
8. Cannings
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Graham
12. Minichello
13. Harrison

14. Meyers
15. Mathews
16. Thompson
17. O'Dwyer

Steve
13-05-09, 08:39 PM
Worst case scenario:

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Tonga
4. Delaney
5. Walker
6. Rogers (c)
7. Rankin
8. Cannings
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Graham
12. Minichello
13. Harrison

14. Meyers
15. Mathews
16. Thompson
17. O'Dwyer

Is Campbell injured?

Boofhead
13-05-09, 08:51 PM
Is Campbell injured?
He's in doubt but he played on with the injury in the second half against the Knights. He will most likely play, so we would slot him into 7 if Princey is out.

Boofhead
13-05-09, 09:55 PM
Pressure on Bailey after Laffranchi ban
Wed, 13 May 2009 20:13:58

Injured Titans forward Luke Bailey said the suspension of Test teammate Anthony Laffranchi has upped the ante on him playing against Brisbane on Friday night.

With news on Wednesday that co-captain Scott Prince was under intensive treatment for a hamstring problem, Laffranchi's suspension after he failed to beat a grade one striking charge, is a savage blow to the Titans who may yet lose Bailey's go forward game.

"It does put extra pressure on me to play," said Bailey.

"I tore my calf three days ago so I'm putting pressure on myself anyway.

"I don't really like my chances being a Friday game ... I'm 50-50.

"I've just started to get to walk going without a limp.

"If Boof (Laffranchi) is out, I'll feel the pinch but I'm not going to go out and do myself more damage and leave the team a player short, especially against the Broncos."

Bailey will attempt to run at training at Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast on Thursday morning.

"If I'm not running tomorrow I doubt I'd be running on Friday," he said.

Bailey said there were risks associated with rolling the dice on such an injury.

"Whether you needle it up and tear it more and put yourself out longer is another thing," he said.

"It would be a tough game to miss.

"The annual derby is the game you look forward to most at the start of the year.

Prince, who missed a few early NRL games with hamstring problems, is still expected notch up his 200th premiership game against his former club Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

His hamstring scare doing "extras" after training on Tuesday is the last thing coach John Cartwright needs.

Brisbane meanwhile are confident fullback Karmichael Hunt (corked thigh) will pass a fitness test at Red Hill on Thursday morning after missing last week's loss to Manly.

Test centre Justin Hodges (hamstring) is no certainty although he trained on Wednesday and will be re-assessed along with Hunt on Thursday.

Hodges, who scored two tries in his comeback game for Australia against New Zealand last Friday, looked proppy and only a 50-50 chance of playing.

"He always trains like that, that's just Hodgo," said skipper Darren Lockyer making light of Hodge's injury.

The clash is tipped to attract a crowd of more than 40,000 with two of their previous four clashes being decided by golden point.

"There's been some real crackers and it's built up a tradition in its very short history," said Broncos coach Ivan Henjak.

"What I've seen so far in the clashes we've had they've been pretty ferocious.

"You certainly don't need to focus the players.

"We've lost two games so I'd expect them (players) to be as focused as they'd ever be."

AAP

Coaster
13-05-09, 10:04 PM
FFS bailey have a teaspoon of araldite, your a prop ffs.

Biggest clash of the year, nothing a cup of concrete won't fix.

patskE
13-05-09, 11:09 PM
prince always does this, most of the time he does play, last time he didnt but :O
maybe friend 7? n bring in lawton :P
cant see em all being out aye. we should be able to cover it

Tamwelg
14-05-09, 01:20 PM
Justin Hodges trains; Titans lose Luke Bailey

Barry Dick | May 14, 2009 10:30am

TEST centre Justin Hodges has failed to complete training but is likely to line up against the Gold Coast at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night. Hodges strained a hamstring playing for Australia against New Zealand last Friday, when he was named man of the match, and missed the Broncos' loss to Manly last Sunday.

He got through about half of this morning's final training run.

A final decision on whether he plays will be made tomorrow morning.

Representative fullback Karmichael Hunt was cleared to play against the Titans.
The Titans have been hard hit by injury and suspension.

After losing Anthony Laffranchi to suspension overnight, the news got worse at training with fellow Test forward Luke Bailey pulling out of the Suncorp Stadium match with a calf injury.
Related Links

Bailey didn't even attempt to take part in today's training session at Runaway Bay.

However captain Scott Prince (hamstring) trained and will play his 200th game while fellow playmaker Preston Campbell (hamstring) also got through the session.

Former Broncos Test and Origin forward Brad Meyers comes into the Titans pack in place of Bailey while Luke O'Dwyer takes Laffranchi's back-row spot.

With bench forward Aaron Cannings ruled out with a knee injury, Titans coach John Cartwright has dropped utility Josh Graham back to the bench in his place and promoted youngster Esi Tonga to start at centre.

The Courie Mail

Tamwelg
14-05-09, 01:22 PM
If I had to pick 1 player in our team that I would not like to be out it would be Luke Bailey. We are going to find it very tough with out him. At least Tonga is back in the centers.

The likely line up:

1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Brett Delaney
5. Chris Walker
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Brad Meyers
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Luke O'Dwyer
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Bodene Thompson
15. Will Matthews
16. Josh Graham
17. William Zillman

Steve
14-05-09, 01:46 PM
I know Graham can play second row but...

We're gonna get steamrolled.

DIEHARD
14-05-09, 02:26 PM
Canning and Bailey are massive loses, I'm with Tan, Bailey is the one player I didn't want to lose. Our forwards are in crisis, but I still think we have some solid forward strength. Thank god our backline looks intact.

If we want to beat the Broncos, I think we have to do it by scoring alot of points and not particularly count on defence. We need to keep as much possession as we can, we need a strong kicking game unlike last week against the Knights.

Anyway, I can't wait. Only over 24 hours to wait!

DIEHARD
14-05-09, 02:51 PM
Injury scare but Prince set to play
Daniel Meers

TITANS skipper Scott Prince is a certain starter for tomorrow night's blockbuster with the Broncos, despite suffering a slight hamstring twinge.

Star halfback Prince missed a lunch in Brisbane yesterday to seek treatment on the hamstring, but will train this morning and be cleared to play.

The injury scare, on the eve of the Suncorp Stadium derby, sent the nation's biggest punters and corporate bookmakers into a frenzy.

A flood of huge bets saw bookies slash the Broncos odds to as short as $1.40, as news of a Prince injury spread like wildfire.

That could prove a windfall for bookmakers, with Prince to be declared fit today.

The news is not as good for Prince's co-captain Luke Bailey, who is in a race against time to recover from a calf strain.

"I'm 50-50 at the moment, its a short week, I've had a lot of intense treatment so we'll see how it goes," he said.

"I just picked up a little calf strain in the last 20 seconds of the game when we should have been doing a victory lap. It's rubbed salt in the wound, so I'll do some physio and see how it goes."

The drama added spice to an already mouth-watering derby, with a history of on-the-buzzer wins in these games. Three of the four clashes between the NRL neighbours have been decided by four points or less.

Club bosses Michael Searle and Bruno Cullen joined skippers Darren Lockyer and Bailey for a bit of banter in Brisbane yesterday.

Searle presented Cullen with a Titans jumper after the Broncos tasted success in the club's last clash.

When asked if it hurt to hand the jersey over Searle quipped: "Not as much as it will hurt Bruno to give me one!"

But Searle and Cullen were united in the importance of the derby for the NRL, both in Queensland and the wider competition.

"I think it kicked off right from the start, someone asked me how the Titans had affected us in the negative, but it's a positive," said Cullen.

"It's a real local derby."

Searle rated the clash among the club's most important of the year.

"The local derby is something that is treasured from our point of view ... We've always been seen as the poorer cousins, but we like being the underdog, smaller stadiums all those things."

for the clash. GOLD Coast boss Michael Searle has suggested improvements to the NRL's two referee system after the clu'bs controversial 23-18 loss to Newcastle on Sunday.

Searle has suggested the NRL adopt an American football model, in which the same group of officials are used each week.

Under Searle's model, the same two referees, two touch judges and video referee would be kept together for games every round like in the United States' NFL.

He believes it will eradicate refereeing inconsistencies -- the main complaint from a livid Titans coach John Cartwright following Sunday's loss.

Searle reckoned his suggestion may get rid of refereeing inconsistencies.

"(I suggest) we maintain the same officials together, the same referee, touch judges and video referee," he said.

"They get to train and work together and understand each other's methodology, interpretations, rule interpretations.

"We have a situation where we are bringing in different referees and officials together every week.

"And I think that sometimes can be a bit flawed in that everyone has interpretations that are different."

Searle said he had already bounced the idea off NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley and hoped to float it at the end of year chief executives' meeting.

TITAN PETE
14-05-09, 02:57 PM
The loss of Bailey is huge i would've preffered to lose Prince but we must run with the cards that are dealt for this match.

Just remember we were told we couldn't win without Prince & we got all 4 points on offer so this is the time for the pack to dominate with The Viking, Big Red or just Meyers to Shine & lead the way for the rest to follow :) , i would like to see a bit more size on the bench but i expect a huge game from Mathews ;)

DIEHARD
14-05-09, 03:48 PM
Broncos v Titans Preview
Suncorp Stadium Friday 7.35pm

The NRL?s Heritage Round kicks off with two amazing Friday night clashes, one of which is this cracking Queensland derby.

Both the Titans (fifth) and the Broncos (third) have 12 competition points going into this encounter, just two points off the competition lead, and both are primed to continue their impressive seasons.

The match is screaming for a sell-out atmosphere, so if you haven?t booked tickets, do so quickly; you won?t be disappointed.

Brisbane is in the middle of a mini-slump after losing back-to-back matches to Newcastle and Manly. They are well aware the time is now to reverse their worrying fall from grace before the Origin series hits.

The Titans fell in a controversial, close match to the Knights last weekend, making them just as desperate to turn things around and rejoin the winner?s circle.

The rivalry between the two clubs has always been intense, even in the previous incarnations of the Gold Coast. In fact the first win for a Gold Coast side against Brisbane came in a huge upset in the first season in 1988, a result which ultimately cost the Broncos a chance at the finals.

When the Titans joined the competition in 2007 the hype around the two sides was huge and it has continued, with two of the four matches between the sides going to golden point and all four being down-to-the-wire encounters.

The Broncos hope to welcome back Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges to the side, which moves Gerard Beale out and Alex Glenn back to the bench, while Andrew McCullough has been added to a five-man bench.

The Titans have named the same side from last weekend; however Anthony Laffranchi has a date with the judiciary tonight (Wednesday) and coach John Cartwright has named a seven-man bench with Aaron Cannings, Esi Tonga and Will Matthews as the new faces.

Watch out Broncos: The Titans have managed to become an attacking force from long range this season, something that wasn?t the case in recent years. Despite scoring only three tries from over halfway in the entire 2008 season, the Gold Coast boys already have six this season, to be equal league leaders.

The Broncos have conceded five tries from over halfway this season so the Titans may just look to spread the ball wide early to find some weaknesses in the Brisbane defence.

Watch out Titans: Brisbane will be attacking through the boot when they get an opportunity. With 11 tries from kicks so far this season the Broncos lead the NRL and with a player like Israel Folau just waiting to leap to the heavens to pull down the football, they would be mad not to.

The Gold Coast have been reasonable thus far at defusing cross-field kicks but they are yet to go up against Folau.

And while Preston Campbell will never shirk his role and will always put his body on the line, he does drop bombs on occasions and will no doubt be peppered by Peter Wallace and Darren Lockyer.

Where it will be won: The battle of the halves, and the inclusion of fullbacks as ball players, will be downright critical. The Gold Coast trio of Scott Prince, Mat Rogers and Preston Campbell come head-to-head with Peter Wallace, Darren Lockyer and Karmichael Hunt in what shapes as an exciting sub-plot.

Both Hunt and Campbell are ball-playing fullbacks who are crucial links in their side?s attacking machine, making Hunt?s return from injury vital. Should he miss out again, the Broncos will be behind the eight ball.

Prince, in his 200th first grade game, is primed for a massive performance after being the ?villain? who was penalised at the death against Newcastle, cruelling any chance his side had at a late win.

Wallace, on the back of a great performance for City Origin, needs to continue his claim for a New South Wales berth with a dominant display against one of Queensland?s great halfbacks.

Then there is the battle between the veteran five-eighths Lockyer and Rogers: each man knows they need to chime in with the crucial plays at the crucial times if their side is to prevail. Looking at try assists we see Wallace has 10, Hunt eight and Lockyer five, while Prince and Campbell have six each and Rogers has two.

The History: Played 4; Broncos 2, Titans 2. In the short history between these two clubs the one certainty has been a cracking match. They share the head-to-head title at two apiece although the Broncos have a 2-1 lead at Suncorp Stadium.

There has been a win-loss trend over the first four clashes, going Titans-Broncos-Titans-Broncos ? so does that mean it is time for another Titans win?

With the average margin between the two sides being just 4.75 you can once again expect a close match. Also, the Broncos haven?t lost three matches straight since late 2007.

Conclusion: Karmichael Hunt?s inclusion, or late withdrawal, will have a massive bearing on this clash. With Hodges also in doubt and Anthony Laffranchi and Luke Bailey also potential withdrawals the match dynamic won?t be known until just before kick-off.

In terms of picking a side here, you can be sure either choice has its merits. It should be a very close match where one small error or great moment decides the result. If Hunt plays, lean towards the Broncos; if he is out, the Titans have the edge.

Match officials: Referees ? Shayne Hayne & Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy & Grant Atkins; Video Ref ? Tim Mander.

Televised: Channel 9 ? Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW); Fox Sports ? Delayed 1pm Sat.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Capital_Shark
14-05-09, 06:19 PM
No Bull. No Boof. No win.

I tipped the Titans earlier in the week very confidently. Kept strong when Prince was in doubt (was he ever gonna miss such a milestone combined with a derby match?) but once Bailey and Laffranchi were ruled out I had to swing to the Broncos. Bailey alone just does so much work around the middle third, especially in defense, that you could field 14 men with 2 blokes doing Bailey's job and it still wouldn't cut it.

Its unfortunate cause I think the Broncos were looking a bit shaky lately and I was hoping the Titans could stick a few points up 'em. Buggers might play 'em back into form now.

DIEHARD
14-05-09, 06:56 PM
O'Dwyer to replace suspended Titan
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans utility Luke O?Dwyer will make his first starting appearance for 2009 as the replacement for suspended backrower Anthony Laffranchi in tomorrow night?s blockbuster against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

The Tweed Heads junior has made a successful switch from the centres to a utility role off the interchange bench this season and has been rewarded for that form with a spot in the Titans? starting backrow in Laffranchi?s absence.

Prop Luke Bailey has been ruled out with a calf injury and will be replaced by Brad Meyers. Fellow front rower Aaron Cannings has also been ruled due to a knee injury, with Josh Graham moving from the centres to the interchange bench in his absence.

To listen to today?s interviews with O?Dwyer and Titans coach John Cartwright go to Titans Radio (http://titans.sportal.net.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&aid=116)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Tamwelg
14-05-09, 08:33 PM
My brother pulled out of this game and I now have a spare ticket in the away supporters bay section 317 row 3 seats 26-32. Tattsman is seats 23-24 I think. PM me if you are interested and we can sort it out.

dee13
14-05-09, 08:46 PM
No Boof, No Bull and No Blade. Ohhhhh man we are in trouble. HEHEHEHE:p

titanstattman
14-05-09, 09:24 PM
No Boof, No Bull and No Blade. Ohhhhh man we are in trouble. HEHEHEHE:p

Its all goo the big guy is going.....

dee13
14-05-09, 09:29 PM
Its all goo the big guy is going.....

What do ya mean the big guy is going???????????

Paul
14-05-09, 09:29 PM
My brother pulled out of this game and I now have a spare ticket in the away supporters bay section 317 row 3 seats 26-32. Tattsman is seats 23-24 I think. PM me if you are interested and we can sort it out.

*interested...................

titanstattman
14-05-09, 09:31 PM
What do ya mean the big guy is going???????????

Hahaha meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

amaline
14-05-09, 10:26 PM
I'd like to see Bodene Thompson given more than 10 minutes tomorrow night.

DIEHARD
14-05-09, 10:28 PM
PREVIEW: BRONCOS V TITANS - NRL ROUND 10
by Rleague.com

In the space of two seasons the Broncos and the Titans have developed one of the most intensely fought derby rivalries in the NRL.

The Titans were clear winners when these teams met for the first time in 2007 but since then their clashes have been played on a knife's edge.

The Broncos have won the last two Suncorp showdowns in golden point, while the Titans won the only game at Skilled Park by a two-point margin.

There is every reason to believe that this match will be played along similar lines. The Broncos are back at full strength following the absence of fullback Karmichael Hunt and centre Justin Hodges last Sunday, while the Titans are missing suspended forward Anthony Laffranchi, prop Luke Bailey and interchange forward Aaron Cannings.

After dropping off the pace marginally in recent weeks, the Titans will undoubtedly rise to the occasion on Friday night but when it comes to forecasting a winner, it is hard to ignore the strikepower of the Brisbane backline. Apart from their five Origin or Test stars, centre Steve Michaels was named in Queensland's 25-man Origin train-on squad and rookie winger Antonio Winterstein has proved a revelation this season, touching down for eight tries from nine games.

Look to a Broncos try as First Scoring Play ($1-85) and consider a Broncos/Titans ($8-50) or Titans/Broncos ($7) outcome in the Half/Full Double.

Best chances for First Tryscorer include Israel Folau, Antonio Winterstein and Steve Michaels for the Broncos or Chris Walker, Kevin Gordon or Josh Graham for the Titans.

Friday May 15, 2009
Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans at Suncorp Stadium, Castlemaine Street, Milton, Brisbane (QLD)

Brisbane Broncos
1 Karmichael Hunt, 2 Antonio Winterstein, 3 Steve Michaels, 4 Justin Hodges, 5 Israel Folau, 6 Darren Lockyer [c], 7 Peter Wallace, 8 Nick Kenny, 9 PJ Marsh, 10 Joel Clinton, 11 Sam Thaiday, 12 Ben T'eo, 13 Corey Parker. Subs: 14 Ashton Sims, 15 Lagi Setu, 16 Palmer Wapau, 17 Alex Glenn, 18 Andrew McCullough (one to be omitted).

Gold Coast Titans
1 Preston Campbell, 2 Kevin Gordon, 3 Josh Graham, 4 Brett Delaney, 5 Chris Walker, 6 Mat Rogers, 7 Scott Prince [c], 8 Luke Bailey [c], 9 Nathan Friend , 10 Michael Henderson, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Ashley Harrison. Subs: 14 Aaron Cannings, 15 Brad Meyers, 16 Luke O'Dwyer, 17 William Zillman, 18 Esi Tonga, 19 Bodene Thompson, 20 Will Matthews (three to be omitted).

Date: Fri May 15 2009, 7:30PM AEST GMT+10 [Fri May 15 2009, 9:30AM GMT]
Referee: Shayne Hayne

Predictions:
Matthew O'Neill: Broncos by 6
Dennis Righetti: Broncos by 8
Paul Booth: Broncos by 12

OVERALL:
Total Games: 18
Brisbane Broncos wins: 14. [Pts: 479]
Gold Coast Titans wins: 4. [Pts: 285]
Draws: 0

Biggest wins:
Brisbane Broncos: 36 pts: 1994 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 17 - [View] Sun Jul 24: Broncos 48 d. Gold Coast 12 [Crowd: 36510]
Gold Coast Titans: 13 pts: 1994 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 2 - [View] Fri Mar 18: Gold Coast 25 d. Broncos 12 [Crowd: 22688]

Biggest Crowd: 1993 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 12 - Fri Jun 18: Broncos 14 d. Gold Coast 6 [Crowd: 57212]

Last 50 games against each other form line (most recent matches at end of line):
Brisbane Broncos: LWWWWWWWLWWWWWLWLW
Gold Coast Titans: WLLLLLLLWLLLLLWLWL

Last 10 games:
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 24 - Fri: Gold Coast Titans 21 l. Brisbane Broncos 25 [Crowd: 39757]
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 6 - Fri: Brisbane Broncos 24 l. Gold Coast Titans 26 [Crowd: 27176]
2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 17 - Fri: Brisbane Broncos 19 d. Gold Coast Titans 18 [Crowd: 48621]
2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 5 - Fri: Gold Coast Titans 28 d. Brisbane Broncos 16 [Crowd: 47686]
1998 National Rugby League - Round 19 - Sun Jul 19: Broncos 44 d. Gold Coast 10 [Crowd: 12740]
1998 National Rugby League - Round 4 - Sun Apr 5: Gold Coast 18 l. Broncos 40 [Crowd: 13126]
1996 Optus Cup - Round 21 - Sun Aug 25: Broncos 38 d. Gold Coast 10 [Crowd: 25749]
1995 Australian Rugby League - Round 21 - Sun Aug 20: Gold Coast 20 l. Broncos 27 [Crowd: 11650]
1994 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 17 - Sun Jul 24: Broncos 48 d. Gold Coast 12 [Crowd: 36510]
1994 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 2 - Fri Mar 18: Gold Coast 25 d. Broncos 12 [Crowd: 22688]

Source: http://www.rleague.com

* Rleague combines stats from all Gold Coast franchises

Tamwelg
14-05-09, 11:16 PM
I'd like to see Bodene Thompson given more than 10 minutes tomorrow night.

I agree. He looked pretty strong, but we didn't see enough of him. I think this was because of how close the game was and Carty wanted the Bull back on the paddock. With no Bull I think he will get moire minutes.

K-9
15-05-09, 02:17 AM
BRISBANE will target the Titans' inexperienced forward pack in a bid to steamroll through the understrength Gold Coast in tonight's much anticipated local derby. Last year the Broncos forward pack held crisis meetings about lackadaisical performances, but this year coach Ivan Henjak can't fault his big men.

Click to read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin website... (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/05/15/79005_gold-coast-titans.html)

K-9
15-05-09, 02:17 AM
TITANS `secret weapon' Bodene Thompson will tonight be deployed against the Broncos in the NRL match at Suncorp Stadium in an attempt to fill the gaping hole left by sidelined Test forwards Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi.

Click to read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin website... (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/05/15/79031_gold-coast-titans.html)

DIEHARD
15-05-09, 02:06 PM
Broncos plan to bash through Titans
Daniel Meers

BRISBANE will target the Titans' inexperienced forward pack in a bid to steamroll through the understrength Gold Coast in tonight's much anticipated local derby.

Last year the Broncos forward pack held crisis meetings about lackadaisical performances, but this year coach Ivan Henjak can't fault his big men.

The rookie coach has told the Broncos pack not to let up despite Kangaroos enforcers Anthony Laffranchi and Luke Bailey being absent for the Titans.

Instead, Henjak has put pressure on his forwards to lead the Brisbane side.

With Origin approaching, the Broncos are pinning their hopes on not only getting the two points but further improving percentages as the representative season draws near.

Henjak said that his forward pack would lead the way tonight.

"I'd like to think after two losses and in the context of this game it wouldn't matter who was playing for the Titans," said Henjak.

Brisbane's forward pack was among the shining lights of a losing side against Manly last week. "I thought the forwards really did their job well on the weekend, I can't fault them on last week's game," said Henjak.

"They need a repeat of that, stand up, and hopefully give our backs the opportunities to score more tries."

Henjak said that it was imperative the Broncos get more points in the bank before Origin.

"Every game is important but when you know that you're going to be without players or there's going to be a big chance that you're going to have to rest them, it is important that you make hay while the sun shines and get lots of points in the bank," he said.

The Broncos have also been struggling with some injury issues.

Fullback Karmichael Hunt was yesterday cleared to play and Justin Hodges will be given until this morning to prove his fitness.

The Australian centre turned in half a session yesterday.

"He did most of it, we were never going to do the whole lot with him," said Henjak.

"We're just going to check tomorrow and we'll make a decision then."

Meanwhile, hulking Broncos forward Dave Taylor has signed with South Sydney. Taylor, who is still only 20, will be in Rabbitohs colours for the next three years.

"Taylor is the brightest young forward prospect in the game," said Souths CEO Shane Richardson.

Taylor, who has been relegated to Queensland Cup in recent weeks, has at times disappointed Broncos coaching staff with his work ethic.

DIEHARD
15-05-09, 02:07 PM
Mystery man Bo to be secret weapon
Luke Turgeon

TITANS `secret weapon' Bodene Thompson will tonight be deployed against the Broncos in the NRL match at Suncorp Stadium in an attempt to fill the gaping hole left by sidelined Test forwards Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi.

Mysterious rookie Thompson is missing from the official NRL season guide and doesn't rate a mention on the Titans own website under a section that includes 30 first grade squad members.

Compounding the intrigue, coach John Cartwright closed ranks around the 20-year-old rookie yesterday, placing him off limits to the media.

But Bronco Ben Te'o already knows exactly what to expect.

Four years ago they were back-row partners at renowned Gold Coast league nursery Keebra Park. The New Zealand-born pair played alongside each other in Keebra's 2005 Arrive Alive Cup grand final side before Te'o went to the Wests Tigers in 2006.

"The biggest thing I remember about his game was that he had really good footwork and a good offload and ball playing skills," said Te'o.

"I would say he has probably worked a lot on his defence and aggression since he has been at the Titans.

"If he comes my way I will try to make it as difficult as I can for him. But like I said, he has got great footwork and he runs it quite hard, so I might be the one that has to watch out."

A year younger than 22-year-old Te'o, Thompson made his NRL debut last week against the Newcastle Knights after starring for the Gold Coast's under-20 side last season.

Thompson only got 15 minutes of match time but with injured co-captain Bailey and suspended back rower Laffranchi out of action, he will be called on to share the workload off the bench.

Fullback Preston Campbell (hamstring) and halfback Scott Prince (hamstring) have been cleared to play, while Brad Meyers will start for Bailey and Luke O'Dwyer will come into the starting side for Laffranchi.

Prop Aaron Cannings has failed to overcome a knee injury.

Esi Tonga returns to the centres, shifting Josh Graham to the bench alongside Will Zillman, Will Matthews and Thompson.

Back rower Daniel Conn has been named 18th man.

"We have signed Bodene for another two years, so I definitely think he has a lot of ability," said Cartwright.

"But ability is one thing. Being consistent over and over and over again is the key.

"Those two guys (Laffranchi and Bailey) will probably start for NSW in the first Origin game so you take them out of any side and you are going to suffer ... We have got to do everything to 100 per cent of our ability and that is what we are planning to do."

DIEHARD
15-05-09, 02:24 PM
Well here we go, the day of the game. I hope to see all you Titans fans out there, making Lang Park a sea of blue and gold and owning it. Make the boys feel at home, you know how well we play at Skilled Park. Let's make them feel at home.

I know we have some big challenges, especially the loss of Bull, but I think we can help compensate, we will play with passion and heart, our boys wont give up.

But we need to ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

I hope to see more of Thompson in tonight's game, he is a future enforcer.

And I pray we have a great kicking game, we need to keep possession and help feed our flyers.

I'm about to head off for the game, see you all there.

Tamwelg
15-05-09, 02:50 PM
*interested...................

Sorry Paul its gone.

TITAN PETE
15-05-09, 03:14 PM
Sorry Paul its gone.

Just like the Bonco's ;)

Paul
15-05-09, 08:31 PM
Great first half. We have played well all over the park and deserve to lead at the break.

Loved watching Gordon absolutely skin Hunt to score,he didn't even lay a finger on him.

Our forwards are all playing very well,especially Harrison/Mini and O'Dwyer and Meyers defence has been strong

Bring it home boys!

Paul
15-05-09, 09:44 PM
Hard loss to take as we had the game in control at the break but you can't fault the guys commitment tonight.

Just one of those days we were beaten by a side who just finished better on the night. The final score certainly didn't reflect the game

Paul
15-05-09, 10:43 PM
also I saw Adam/Doug/Mel/Cassie/Boof and I think Davey on tele in the first few mins of he game on the tele,I think it was when Walker creamed michaels

Steve
15-05-09, 10:52 PM
Well that sucked.

Paul
15-05-09, 11:06 PM
Well that sucked.

the result certainly did.I think the boys did us proud though,especially without Bull and Boof. We weould have flattened them with those 2

patskE
15-05-09, 11:25 PM
man iam over delaney
move him to the back row, he just dnt know when or how to pass
gorden try is a great example, tonga didnt over play his hand, he jsut gave it to the speedster and new he could do the rest.

mateiu
15-05-09, 11:28 PM
kevin gordon is really going to have a great career i mean he just pulled a small in and away casual as u like on arguably the games greatest fullback with in 5 metres from the sideline.. that was unbelievable.

great debut for bodene, didnt do anything wrong from what i saw hope he gets plenty more games to come.

tough to lose, we were all over them i the first half.

to the broncoes credit they really use israel to his full potential...where as the storm based there game plan around him. eg " get the ball to isy so he can score " the broncoes have really mastered it u see he only does wants needed in defence. yet in attack it seems every time darren lockyer gives to isy there is a line break or try. and watching it on tv it almost looks like a case or right place right time.... but really they are just using him perfectly.

Tamwelg
15-05-09, 11:30 PM
Well that sucked.

I double that thought

Rage
15-05-09, 11:37 PM
Where was Zillman?

Tamwelg
15-05-09, 11:40 PM
Where was Zillman?

Warming the bench until about 5 mins to go.

Paul
15-05-09, 11:43 PM
man iam over delaney

delaney is a champ,he is a great centre

Steve
15-05-09, 11:49 PM
delaney is a champ,he is a great centre

Would be nice if he could pass the ball. I swear Walker was ready to deck him.

Definitely missed Bull and Boof, but no excuse. I thought the ref should have picked up some pom poms and joined the other girls in pink on the sideline, but I think you really need to be playing well enough to outplay bad reffing, because you'll never escape it.

amaline
15-05-09, 11:57 PM
Would be nice if he could pass the ball. I swear Walker was ready to deck him.

Definitely missed Bull and Boof, but no excuse. I thought the ref should have picked up some pom poms and joined the other girls in pink on the sideline, but I think you really need to be playing well enough to outplay bad reffing, because you'll never escape it.

I've seen Walker blowing up a Delaney a few times. I think a lot of the time Delaney seems to come too far in and leaves Walker to defend.
Harrison dropping it over the line and Matthews running straight into Hunt rather than passing it were big moments in the game. Also, did anyone else think we were unlucky not to get a penalty when Walker seemed to have the ball stripped in the lead up to the first of the second half tries?

I don't know why they didn't try to get it to Gordon more.

Paul
15-05-09, 11:57 PM
I thought Hayne reffed ok,the other one was a bit of a twat though but no excuses,we should have finished them off in the first 40 then in the second half they blew us away between 40-60 mins

Steve
16-05-09, 12:06 AM
I've seen Walker blowing up a Delaney a few times. I think a lot of the time Delaney seems to come too far in and leaves Walker to defend.
Harrison dropping it over the line and Matthews running straight into Hunt rather than passing it were big moments in the game. Also, did anyone else think we were unlucky not to get a penalty when Walker seemed to have the ball stripped in the lead up to the first of the second half tries?

I don't know why they didn't try to get it to Gordon more.

That's true. Walker was left to defend an overlap time and time again, he did great.

Don't forget the broncos getting a repeat set from Folaou knocking on and scoring from that. Definitely could have gone the other way.

Boofhead
16-05-09, 12:06 AM
Hard to take this loss, like any donkeys game - I felt we were playing well, will be interesting to see the replay later today.

I'm losing faith in Delaney like a few other people on the forum - he just doesn't show enough of his true potential to deserve that run on spot.

Would like to see somthing similiar to this next week. Really need to get Zillman into the frame - such a wasted talent playing for only 5 minutes.

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Mat Rogers
5. Chris Walker
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Brad Meyers
15. Michael Henderson
16. Brett Delaney
17. Luke O'Dwyer

TITAN PETE
16-05-09, 12:36 AM
Is it just me or does Delaney seem to submit to every tackle & he never seems to try & punch through the line not to mention he seems to struggle in the passing side of his game :(

The boys played quite well & i thought both wingers had Great games so i hope people who may have missed the match think Gordon had a shocker as Izzy scored 4 tries on his side of the park because that couldn't be further from the truth he has so much potential its exciting to think about ;)

The difference between the 2 sides was they have a Freak out wide & we were missing the Backbones of our forward pack !

K-9
16-05-09, 03:23 AM
BRONCOS try-scoring sensation Israel Folau ensured the Gold Coast Titans trip up the M1 again ended in heartbreak, spearheading Brisbane to hard-fought 32-18 victory in the NRL match last night at Suncorp Stadium.

Click to read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin website... (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/05/16/79435_gold-coast-titans.html)

titanstattman
16-05-09, 08:10 AM
BRONCOS try-scoring sensation Israel Folau ensured the Gold Coast Titans trip up the M1 again ended in heartbreak, spearheading Brisbane to hard-fought 32-18 victory in the NRL match last night at Suncorp Stadium.

Click to read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin website... (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/05/16/79435_gold-coast-titans.html)

WELL POST THE HOLE THING INSTAND OF A LINK............

Ryan
16-05-09, 12:57 PM
I thought Hayne reffed ok,the other one was a bit of a twat though but no excuses,we should have finished them off in the first 40 then in the second half they blew us away between 40-60 mins
The refs weren't that bad, but they weren't that good either.
I lost count the amount of times the donkeys were off side, one could have lead to a try.
Also missed a technical obstruction; Wallace passing the ball while running behind another player, that led to a try.
The try they took off Ashley Harrison; although I'd say no try, they've given them the green before in the past. We just don't seem to be getting the 50\50 calls that other teams are.

But the reffing wasn't the difference between the two teams tonight, Israel Folau was - and that, you just have to swallow........

kwigibo
16-05-09, 01:25 PM
The try they took off Ashley Harrison; although I'd say no try, they've given them the green before in the past. We just don't seem to be getting the 50\50 calls that other teams are.

Considering the Jamie Lyon "try" in that exact same spot last week.

I'm at the point now that I cheer harder for the awarding of a try without consulting the video ref than for actual tries themselves. It seems like about 9 out of 10 times the Titans cross the line it's referred, probably half of those aren't given, and half of those not given are at best non definitive knit picking bull****.

DIEHARD
16-05-09, 02:25 PM
M1 a highway to hell for Titans
Luke Turgeon

It was billed as the battle between big brother and little brother, but there were no family sentiments as the two south-east Queensland sides battled for pride and the two competition points.

After their last two clashes at Suncorp saw the Broncos triumph in golden-point, Folau ensured this time the Gold Coast would be put to the sword before the final siren.

The Mormon on a mission starred for the home side with four tries, joining Denan Kemp, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Steve Renouf and Wendell Sailor as the only other Broncos to accomplish the stunning feat.

The Broncos simply made the most of their scoring opportunities while the Gold Coast blew a 12-8 half-time lead and bombed three tries during the match to cruel their own chances.

The Coast looked composed as the defended early Broncos pressure from their own line and looked to have repelled the early onslaught before two questionable calls combined to help the Broncos to the opening try.

First an incorrect knock on call went against the Titans, then a dubious penalty went against Mark Minichiello for a strip right on the Gold Coast goaline.

It was all the invitation the Broncos needed and in the next set of six result in prolific points-scoring winger Israel Folau touching down off a clever ball from back rower Sam Thaiday.

A perfectly executed Titans set play five minutes later saw hooker Nathan Friend find fullback Preston Campbell 10m out from the line, who fired a beautiful ball on to Luke ODwyers chest to breach the Broncos goal line defence.

The Titans had an opportunity to surge further into the lead 10 minutes later but were denied a try by video referee Tim Mander after back rower Ashley Harrison was judged to have lost the ball in the process of grounding it.

As the match descended into an arm wrestle, Broncos lock Corey Parker slipped a neat offload inside to Micahels as he was falling to put the Brisbane back in front.

But it was exciting young Titans winger Kevin Gordon that produced the play of the opening half when he crossed for a sizzling try five minutes from the break.

Starting on their own 30m line, the Titans spread it wide through the hands, finding re-called centre Esi Tonga, who took on the defensive line before putting former Gold Coast under-20s teammate Gordon into space down the sideline.

Considered one of the fastest men in the game, Gordon took off with a flash, dodging centre Alex Glenn and then bamboozling fullback Karmichael Hunt with a sensational little 'in and away to stroll into the red-zone with barely as much as a fingernail laid on him.

Emerging from the half-time with a 12-8 lead, the Titans should have gone ahead 18-8 but bombed a certain try when rookie prop Will Matthews burst into the clear from a trademark Nathan Friend no-look pass and with only the fullback to beat somehow failed to find Campbell looming in support on his inside.

A second try then went begging, with Prince throwing a forward pass to a steamrolling Minichiello, who would have almost certainly scored.

The Broncos made them pay almost immediately. More precisely, it was Folau.

The hulking 20-year-old brought up his hat-trick with two quick back-to-back tries to catapult the Broncos back into the lead 20-12.

But the Coast refused to give up.

When Esi Tonga barged over off a clever Prince pass in the 63rd minute to reel in the deficit to two points, the match again hung in the balance.

But Wallace flopped over for a solo try with eight minutes remaining and then Folau ran in his fourth to to keep the bragging rights with Brisbane

DIEHARD
16-05-09, 04:45 PM
Well I am proud of the team, they did us proud and proved that they are true contenders for the title. We really missed our Kangaroos, Laffranchi and Bailey. I thought our attack was good, Gordan was awesome. That try was brillaint, loved his swerve, left the Broncos for dead.

We were the better team in the first half. Israel was amazing and even though he was on the other team, it's hard not to admire his feat of 4 tries.

A few freak passes/off loads also lead to a couple tries against us.

Preston was at his best. We had our opportunities to win the match with a few near tries and major opportunities, so I take heart from that. I realise we will get even better and when our 3 forwards return we will be stronger. Forwards was an area we would have dominated the Broncos if our Kangaroos were playing.

I was proud but it was so very painful to lose at Lang Park and against the Broncos. But they have buckles of beating us at Skilled Park!!

DIEHARD
16-05-09, 06:21 PM
Titans legion of fans at Lang Park. In the away supporter bay.

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/admin/gallery_images/remote/2009/05/16/255005.jpg

DIEHARD
16-05-09, 07:55 PM
Some very familiar faces at Lang Park supporting the Titans!

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/admin/gallery_images/remote/2009/05/16/255775.jpg

FROM THE GOLD COAST BULLETIN GALLERY (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au//photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=5621&offset=36)

Tamwelg
17-05-09, 09:14 AM
1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Esi Tonga
4. Mat Rogers
5. Chris Walker
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Brad Meyers
15. Michael Henderson
16. Brett Delaney
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Probably the strongest side we can put on the park, but I can't see Delaney losing his spot and throw Will Matthews on the bench somewhere. Matthews didn't pass that ball, but had a really good game apart from that IMO. I have been a huge fan of Meyers this year, but have found a few of the trys scored against us up the middle this year have been inside or outside of him.

Zillman is a must starter.

DIEHARD
17-05-09, 02:40 PM
Rumours that Delaney is being circuled for a return to Parra. But then you read how they have no room under the cap.

But the fact is we do have Delaney, Mead, S Walker, Esi Tonga and Kevin Gordon. And only so many positions. They aren't ordinary players and all have immense potential to become 1st grade stars.

Greg81
18-05-09, 09:09 AM
great game, as usual. I wasnt in the supporters bay but could hear you guys from the sw section (308) behind the cameraman!

DIEHARD
18-05-09, 10:06 PM
Here is a report on the stats from last week's game on NRL STATS (http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match2113.html)

TITAN PETE
19-05-09, 08:26 AM
46 missed tackles :mad:

Supergoose
19-05-09, 12:10 PM
46 missed tackles :mad:

Don't worry about the missed tackles, we still had fewer than the Broncos. The 13 errors and 68% completion worry me more. The errors are the reason we had to make 52 more tackles than the Broncos (and they still missed more than we did.) We outplayed the Broncos for large portions of that match but the errors allowed the Broncos to win.

I am quite surprised at the number of people giving Minichiello points for that match after the crucial errors and penalties he conceded. I still think he has trouble away from skilled park. Perhaps he should be benched for away games?

TITANS007
20-05-09, 01:33 PM
Warming the bench until about 5 mins to go.

What a total waste of talent!! What's doing there?

TITANS007
20-05-09, 01:44 PM
this will be Anthony Laffranchi*, and Mark Minichello's 50th games for our club, The Mighty Gold Coast Titans!!!!!! much better milestone then the highly anticipated 200 nrl games for prince.....IMO

* If he plays

It's awesome to hear that it is Mini's and Boof's 50th game for the Titans, but no I believe Princey playing his 200th NRL game is worth all the hype and recognition he is getting. It has taken a whole lot of blood, sweat and tears for him to get there. 200 NRL games is a massive feat for any player, but considering the injuries he's had to overcome to get to this game it seems even sweeter. A very personal victory for him I'd imagine.

CONGRATULATIONS PRINCEY!!

I hope you will one day make the 300 game mark!!