PDA

View Full Version : Broncos after criminal

Super Cronk
30-11-05, 01:16 PM
Metcalf is a Broncos target-stuff.co.nz

Shamed Warriors star Shaun Metcalf - jailed after trying to kick to death his ex-girlfriend's unborn child - has been targeted by NRL giants the Brisbane Broncos.

But the move was last night hanging in the balance after it was revealed club bosses were looking at details of the 2003 attack.

"It's certainly not a done deal," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen last night told the Sunday Mail in Brisbane.

"We were made aware of the case and are now investigating the incident to see where everybody stands with it.

"We certainly don?t want to sign any player who will bring the club or rugby league into disrepute."

It is understood Metcalf, 18, had been noticed by Broncos recruiters.

Cullen said the club had been impressed by his footballing ability.

Approached by Sunday News about Metcalf?s possible move to the Broncos, NZRL executive chairman Selwyn Pearson didn't deny it but added there hadn't been a request for a transfer yet.

Metcalf ? the youngest-ever player to turn out for the Warriors ? returned to league for the Otahuhu-Ellerslie Bartercard Cup side in August.

The blockbusting centre scored a try in his first game.

Metcalf and his accomplices in the 2003 attack ? fellow New Zealand under-16 representatives and ex-Warriors development players ? Geoffrey Ruaporo and Kyle Donovan were suspended from league from the time they were convicted, on May 27 last year.

They pleaded guilty to attempting to procure an abortion, aggravated robbery and injuring with intent.

Metcalf and Ruaporo were sentenced to 18 months jail. Donovan was jailed for 15 months.

In the attack, Metcalf and Ruaporo beat their victim Sarah now aged 19 after Metcalf lured her to a suburban reserve.

They pulled her from the car and repeatedly kicked her in the stomach.

Sarah - not her real name - protected her unborn child by wrapping her arms around her stomach.

Sarah had met Metcalf seven months before the attack.

The relationship lasted just weeks but she found out she was pregnant and phoned Metcalf to say she was having his baby.

The NZRL board earlier this year also decided to reinstate Ruaporo and Donovan saying all three teens were truly sorry for their crime.

The trio wrote open letters to the NZRL in May, all expressing their remorse.

----

What a disgrace. This guy is as low as low can get. And the broncos are looking at getting this thug/criminal/coward/scum. If the broncos sign him that will do me.

DeeGan
30-11-05, 01:19 PM
"It's certainly not a done deal," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen last night told the Sunday Mail in Brisbane.

"We were made aware of the case and are now investigating the incident to see where everybody stands with it.

"We certainly don?t want to sign any player who will bring the club or rugby league into disrepute."

Won't happen IMO IF there is any hint that this will only damage the club or NRL's image.

DeeGan

Research Station Drive
30-11-05, 03:36 PM
Geez, I strongly believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to redeem themselves but this is beyond the pale.

How could any supporter cheer their team with this bloke in it?

Kallan
30-11-05, 03:45 PM
I read this story in the Sunday Mail, don't know much about this player but I believe he should get a second chance.

Go_The_Doggies
30-11-05, 04:04 PM
Gees...i read about what he did a few months back in the sunday news....god hes a wanka....he should be in jail...not bloody out playing league...geez