PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs scrap huges fine

Super Cronk
30-11-05, 11:11 AM
Hughes case lingers after 'appeal'- Foxsports.com.au

THE Bulldogs yesterday scrapped the $10,000 fine handed out to Corey Hughes for his involvement in a racecourse brawl last month and granted him a new hearing.

Hughes and his manager, his uncle Graeme Hughes, fronted a panel of Bulldogs chief Malcolm Noad and coach Steve Folkes yesterday morning.

The club will now issue a new penalty, which is still expected to be a fine, sometime next week.

But confusion reigned last night with Graeme Hughes claiming the club had again failed to put the right process in place. "We went along today at the invitation of the chief executive officer to what we believed was a meeting," Hughes said.

"As a result none of our evidence in defence was produced. We are still awaiting an appropriate hearing of our appeal."

But Noad dismissed the comments.

"We tried to address what he complained about in the first place and clearly it's not enough," Noad said.

"It was very clear it was a hearing. It was clear to them they could bring witnesses along.

"We will proceed on the evidence we heard."

The Bulldogs chief executive said the new hearing was put in place in a bid to satisfy Graeme Hughes' complaint that the right procedure was not followed.

"Graeme had stated he felt there was a denial of natural justice in the original process. We don't agree but we decided to start from scratch; we don't want to be seen to be treating Corey unfairly," Noad said.

Hughes was originally fined after admitting his involvement in a brawl when he and brother Glenn were taunted over the Coffs Harbour rape allegations.

SuperCliffy#01
30-11-05, 11:54 AM
I think that the whole bulldogs camp including everyone from CEO to players needs a cleanout and start from scratch, there is one nasty way the Bulldogs could or would learn a lesson is that to suspend them from the compition for a year (that is in the extreme) and no i would hate to see it come to that, but something has to be done, and i think that the NRL must get involved by in the way of deregistering players who get themselves in brawls after a self inflicted drinking sessions. Cya.

Titanium_BD1103
30-11-05, 12:03 PM
Clifford.. now you are being extreme.. and I could have said the same thing about players from other teams too. The club does have a bad image yes, but there are people there who are trying to do their best to ensure that the Bulldogs are a better club in 2006. This includes the introduction of a new member area, more stringent checks and a new set of player guidelines.

I will not hear people taking shots at Malcolm Noad.. he has done a great job since he has been at the club and I hope he continues to do so.. he has provided this club with the strength it needs to make the right decisions and get major sponsors.. yes you will see a new sponsor on the back of the Doggies jerseys next year, which will make us one of the most sponsored clubs in the NRL and after all that has happened, that is of huge credit to Malcolm.

As for this debacle.. Grahame Hughes is a legend of the club, but I think someone needs to pull him into line, as a proud and passionate Bulldogs Supporter, I reckon he need to be told to stop trying to ruin the club as payback for being removed from the board. I think he is at times trying to regain control and Corey's incident should have stayed with the $10000 fine, the fact he did something like that was stupid and he should pay the price.

That is my opinion, take it or leave it.. ;)

SuperCliffy#01
30-11-05, 12:21 PM
Clifford.. now you are being extreme.. and I could have said the same thing about players from other teams too. The club does have a bad image yes, but there are people there who are trying to do their best to ensure that the Bulldogs are a better club in 2006. This includes the introduction of a new member area, more stringent checks and a new set of player guidelines.

I will not hear people taking shots at Malcolm Noad.. he has done a great job since he has been at the club and I hope he continues to do so.. he has provided this club with the strength it needs to make the right decisions and get major sponsors.. yes you will see a new sponsor on the back of the Doggies jerseys next year, which will make us one of the most sponsored clubs in the NRL and after all that has happened, that is of huge credit to Malcolm.

As for this debacle.. Grahame Hughes is a legend of the club, but I think someone needs to pull him into line, as a proud and passionate Bulldogs Supporter, I reckon he need to be told to stop trying to ruin the club as payback for being removed from the board. I think he is at times trying to regain control and Corey's incident should have stayed with the $10000 fine, the fact he did something like that was stupid and he should pay the price.

That is my opinion, take it or leave it.. ;)

That is a very good opion, and yes it seems that Grahame Hughes has an axe to grind with the club, well that is easy, if the Hughes clan is a cancer at the club then cut it out by paying out their contracts and telling them they are no loger welcomed at the club, and Canterbury can stop dealing with Grahame Hughes, but it seems to others from outside of the bulldog world that the bulldogs have no dicipline and are repeat offenders.
And yes Malcolm Noad has copped critism but eventually the buck does stop with him end of story, that is very unfortunate as you say as he has done a magnificant job with getting sponsorships, but the ulimate act that a CEO can do is if all else fails and fines aren't doing it then he can rip up contracts of players, as yet he hasn't done so, maybe if he ripped up Corey Hughe's contract then maybe other players might learn a lesson. cya.

Research Station Drive
30-11-05, 02:31 PM
Bulldogs Titan - Well said :clap:

Your team really needs to rein its players in. It's time for some hardcore discipline at your organisation methinks.

It's just one thing after another....

Queenslander
30-11-05, 03:59 PM
Bulldogs Titan - Well said :clap:

Your team really needs to rein its players in. It's time for some hardcore discipline at your organisation methinks.

It's just one thing after another....

I agree and its good to see that the Bulldogs fans acknowledge that their club has a problem and would like to see it fix.

Titanium_BD1103
30-11-05, 04:10 PM
Thanks peoples.. nice to see support for once.. don't get that much around in Sydney.. darn Parra fans and their taunting ways.. :(

Yes most loyal supporters do agree that the club has a problem and want to see it fixed, it is the minority however as always that ruin it for the majority.

I hope that now that the players who had issues with other players have left the club (no I am not going to name names here), that 2006 can be a more harmoinous and enjoyable season for the players and all the incidents will not occur.

I hope that the crowd behaves itself, that the kennel is a good place to be and that the Doggies can once again be a great side, it has been hard, but you always stick by your team no matter what... and I have been through way too much now to leave.. :D :D

Queenslander
30-11-05, 04:14 PM
Thanks peoples.. nice to see support for once.. don't get that much around in Sydney.. darn Parra fans and their taunting ways.. :(

Yes most loyal supporters do agree that the club has a problem and want to see it fixed, it is the minority however as always that ruin it for the majority.

I hope that now that the players who had issues with other players have left the club (no I am not going to name names here), that 2006 can be a more harmoinous and enjoyable season for the players and all the incidents will not occur.

I hope that the crowd behaves itself, that the kennel is a good place to be and that the Doggies can once again be a great side, it has been hard, but you always stick by your team no matter what... and I have been through way too much now to leave.. :D :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: If only your club had more fans like you. I want the best for all rugby league. I hope that the Bulldogs get back on track.

Research Station Drive
30-11-05, 09:56 PM
Lots of intelligence in this thread so far.

The fact can't be avoided though that the Dogs have major problems with discipline in the club and amongst the fans.

Major steps must be taken to correct this - I haven't seen that happen yet.

Actually, they are trying hard to curb the fans behaviour. But what about the players?

It's just one indiscretion after another... it seems like the Bulldogs stars can get away with murder.

In saying that though, it does appear to be an epidemic sweeping league.

Christabella
30-11-05, 10:12 PM
... I reckon he need to be told to stop trying to ruin the club as payback for being removed from the board. I think he is at times trying to regain control ...
Correction: He is looking for pay back for the way his brother Garry was treated by the board. Neither Graeme nor Garry were ever on the board, Garry was the football manager who was scapegoated for the Coffs Harbour affair.

It should be added that middle brother Mark is still employed by the club in recruitment so I'm sure it is a personal vendetta held by Graeme against George Peponis rather than some kind of family conspiracy.

Corey was willing to accept the penalty until Graeme stepped in. I'm sure he will still be given some kind of penalty to act as a deterrant because whether he was entirely at fault or not he should never have retaliated.

Titanium_BD1103
01-12-05, 08:27 AM
Correction: He is looking for pay back for the way his brother Garry was treated by the board. Neither Graeme nor Garry were ever on the board, Garry was the football manager who was scapegoated for the Coffs Harbour affair.

It should be added that middle brother Mark is still employed by the club in recruitment so I'm sure it is a personal vendetta held by Graeme against George Peponis rather than some kind of family conspiracy.

Corey was willing to accept the penalty until Graeme stepped in. I'm sure he will still be given some kind of penalty to act as a deterrant because whether he was entirely at fault or not he should never have retaliated.

I thought Grahame was on the board before the Salary Cap Scandal, I remember reading about him with the Oasis scandal or something along those lines, if I am wrong with that I apologise.. I did know Garry was only Football Manager there and was scapegoated.

As for Grahame though.. he has to learn to stop having personal vendettas against people and let his and our beloved football club continue to strive forward, all he is doing by doing this is being a nuscience and making life diffficult for all, and that can't be good for the club.. :(