PDA

View Full Version : The Chris Walker contract thread

amaline
19-04-09, 08:15 AM
Gold Coast Titan Chris Walker has completed his football resurrection

By Peter Badel
April 19, 2009

Two years ago he was depressed, battling alcoholism and fighting to save his National Rugby League career. But Chris Walker's inspirational footballing resurrection is complete.

The winger set to be handed a new deal by the Gold Coast.

Titans boss Michael Searle says he is keen to reward Walker's on and off-field rehabilitation with a contract until the end of next year.

The development is a major boost for the former Origin flyer, whose NRL days appeared numbered after his much-publicised battle with alcohol and anxiety.

It is understood Walker will be offered a one-year deal.

The 29-year-old's form over the next eight to 10 weeks will determine whether he gets a fulltime contract or an incentive-based deal.

Significantly, the Titans will not insert any clauses related to booze or behaviour, proof the club is confident Walker is no longer a high risk.

"I'd like to see Walks stay with the club," Searle said.

"It's our intention to sit down and talk to him about his future and whether we can come up with an affordable deal that is good for both parties.

"Chris Walker has been a success story for us. He's been great for us off the field, he's been absolutely brilliant, he's really turned his life around and we'd like to recognise that.

"In saying that, we have a good group of young blokes coming through. We have David Mead, Kevin Gordon and Shannon Walker, but at the moment Chris is playing some good footy.

"There's no rush. He's only played three games, but I'd like him to be here next year."

Walker's manager Chris Orr contacted Searle last week about a new deal.

Orr wants a two-year deal for his client, but a 12-month extension is more likely.

The former Bronco has played only nine games in two years at the club due to a glut of injuries but is adamant he is not a spent force.

"I've made a call to Michael Searle, I'd like to have a chat to him about a new deal," Orr said.

"Based on the way he's turned his life around, Walks deserves another deal. He's loved by the whole community, he's gone way above the call of duty to prove himself to the Titans."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25351964-23214,00.html

daveyk
19-04-09, 09:37 AM
things have really turned around for shris and he is showing that on the fielf thus far this year

i hope both parties can come to an agreement and chris stays with the titans for life..

dee13
19-04-09, 09:38 AM
Lovin this news. He is easily one of the crowd favorites.

Like I said alomg time ago Chris is one of the nicest guys you will meet and really deserves the chance he has been given by Michael Searle and the Titans.

Well done Walks

Tamwelg
19-04-09, 11:11 AM
Awesome news a well deserved. To all the Walker critics he is proving you guys know nothing.

patskE
19-04-09, 11:57 AM
i wouldnt give him a 2 year based on our jnr's but his a good player to have

eelectrica
19-04-09, 12:01 PM
Good luck to him. Still not back to his best, but improving I thinkl

quins rl
20-04-09, 03:32 PM
Doing ok,but i am the omly one who thinks his defense is poor?

titanstattman
20-04-09, 03:35 PM
Doing ok,but i am the omly one who thinks his defense is poor?

No im with u atm im hoping thats one thing that he works on in next few weeks......

Supergoose
20-04-09, 09:10 PM
Really enjoying watching Chris' game sense coming back to him. This not only includes the inside balls and kicks he has started popping up for but his reads in defence. I know we have a lot of young guns coming though but at his peak (which I don't think is far off) he is our best winger. The young blokes have one old bloke to catch.

DIEHARD
21-04-09, 09:28 AM
I would love to see Chris re-signed. It would stick it to all the deathriders!

Best of luck over the coming weeks Chris.

Big J
22-04-09, 03:24 PM
Whilst I am and always will be a Chris Walker fan I can't help but think that a few people may be getting a little carried away with his 2009 "form". I understand he is coming back from a long injury lay off but I think his defence has been questionable at best.

If you watch back the last 2 games you will find at least one instance in each of him not even contesting a high ball right on the goal line, at least one of which resulted in atry. His attack is and always will be good and I like the sentiment behind everyone's well wishing but is he good enough to keep out a young winger who starred in the world cup for an average team or Tonga or Gordon should they choose to move Rogers to the centres?

I'll cheer for him every time he turns out in Titans colours because of what he has been through to get here and because I know he is giving everything he has and more but in my opinion the answer is no.

Tamwelg
30-05-09, 06:05 AM
Walker's career at crossroads

Pat McLeod

May 30th, 2009

TITANS cult hero Chris Walker may be forced to exit the Gold Coast at the end of this season and finish his rugby league career in England.

The 29-year-old is currently weighing up a two-year deal worth more than $200,000 a season to go overseas, or significantly less money to stay for a guaranteed one more year with the Titans.

"There is a big decision to be made in the Walker household," the flying flanker said yesterday.

"My preference would be to stay on the Gold Coast and with the Titans, but it comes down to what is best for me and my family.

"I have really enjoyed my time here but if it means that it is time to move on, then so be it."

Walker has won a place deep in the hearts of Titans fans for what he has achieved on and off the field.

Despite a history of off-field indiscretions the Gold Coast club threw him a lifeline in 2007. However early in that season he was involved in a minor incident in a Gold Coast nightclub and was banned from playing for eight weeks.

Since then Walker's image has transformed.

A long-term partner, a baby girl and an admission that he had a problem with alcohol has led to a new off-field persona.

On-field he was electric until two snapped achilles looked to have ended his career.

But Walker fought on and this year is again back in first grade and back to close to his best. His ability to overcome obstacles has won him even more support and he regularly receives one of the loudest receptions from fans at Skilled Park.

"This club has stood by me, they were the ones who gave me a second chance," says Walker.

"I will never forget that. But I still need to do what is best from a father's perspective.

"There are certainly no hard feelings between myself and the Titans.

"I guess I expected a little more than what they offered, but that is what they think I am worth."

Titans managing director Michael Searle said he understood Walker's dilemma.

"We want him to stay, but I can imagine it would be hard to walk away from the money he is being offered overseas. Ideally we would like to give everyone more money, but we can't do that," said Searle.

He said Walker was no longer paying financially for the sins of the past: "No, that is not the case.

"He will always pay for his past in regard to how hard we are on him privately. He has more pressure from us than any other player.

"But the package is commensurate to what we pay other players of the same ability and in the same position. He is not taking a financial hit for his indiscretions."

Searle has told Walker that the door will always be open to him to play some role at the club.

www.goldcoast.com.au

Tamwelg
30-05-09, 06:06 AM
Surely the club has the room to sign him for 2 years on 100k a season.

DIEHARD
30-05-09, 10:15 AM
I would hate to see Chris leave, but I can understand his conundrum. That overseas deal would be pretty attractive, but the Titans deal is for a year and you never know there may be another beyond that and a role with the club.

I'm glad we are offering him a contract, he is my favourite Titan. But we have a heap of wingers coming through who need a place to move up or we will also lose them.

It's a tough situation but that is the nature of the beast, the player market and salary cap.

I think he will stay in the end.

daveyk
30-05-09, 11:09 AM
i really hope that the club can and WILL make room for walks to stay....

he is a testimont to anyone that you can overcome great hurdles and still rise to the top, especially when things are stacked against you..

Searly.... please dont let Chris leave...

Steelers
30-05-09, 11:10 AM
Give him another year, and if his football isn't up to scratch for another one after that, let him don Captain Charger's gear :)

DIEHARD
30-05-09, 11:20 AM
i really hope that the club can and WILL make room for walks to stay....

he is a testimont to anyone that you can overcome great hurdles and still rise to the top, especially when things are stacked against you..

Searly.... please dont let Chris leave...

Well said Davey.

Not only challenges but also an shining example that you can change your image. Many people struggle with that, they want to change their image, but feel that they can't. Chris shows that you certainly can.

The media aren't kidding when they say Chris Walker is deep in the hearts of Titans fans.

He has come back to compete at the top of the game in the NRL. He is yet again a deadly try scorer, not your ordinary winger but he has great instinct to find tries.

GCT_89
30-05-09, 01:49 PM
he is one of the few 'Characters' in the game.....

not just one of thos superstars, but a cult hero that feeds off the fans, whom in turn feed off his performance.....

guys like him and wendall seem to really enjoy playing football and scoring those tries to pump the crowd up.......

sure enough there are younger, faster wingers coming up, but will they just be quiet professionals like prince, or a real character of the game.....

titans_20
30-05-09, 02:35 PM
I also would hate to see him go but do understand that he has to do whats best for his family. He is a great role model for any young player. He has turned his life around and worked very hard to get back on the paddock and be the player and the person he is today all under the watchful eyes of the media and public. He is my absolute favourite titan and has been since day one. He's exciting to watch and I love how passionate he is about the titans. The titans gave him a chance when no-one else would so I'm sure they would love to keep him just as much as the fans want him to stay.

Ryan
30-05-09, 02:46 PM
Kevin Gordon
Kevin Mead
Cameron White
Shannon Walker........

Why spend more money on another winger, even if he is cheap?
And look at the investment payoff in Esi & Gordon!

I think Chris Walker is going to England, he's already lost enough potential money sitting out injured\suspended on incentive based contracts. As soon as they start saying 'whats good for my family' - you know they are going to England.

DIEHARD
30-05-09, 03:13 PM
You make some good points Ryan. At least we can be reassured with the talent we have coming through, that the Titans are sure to have strike power out wide.

Either way we have Chris for 2009, so I am going to focus on that and enjoy it.

Tamwelg
30-05-09, 04:57 PM
Surely the club has the room to sign him for 2 years on 100k a season.

Oh silly me I though it was 200k over 2 years, but it is 200k+ per season for 2 seasons. I'd love for him to stay a Titans, but I think he would be silly to turn it down and we have a good replacement waiting for his turn in Mead.

DIEHARD
31-05-09, 08:51 AM
It certainly is alot of money, more than we can offer.

It is Celtic Crusaders that are chasing isn't it? I love that team, if he does go to the Euro Super League, I'd love it to be that team.

But in more immediate news, I hope he starts on the wing against the Dragons.

quins rl
02-06-09, 06:59 AM
It certainly is alot of money, more than we can offer.

It is Celtic Crusaders that are chasing isn't it? I love that team, if he does go to the Euro Super League, I'd love it to be that team.

But in more immediate news, I hope he starts on the wing against the Dragons.

Things not loking too rosy on or off the field for Crusaders,genuine concerns as to their long term viability,just hope the owner Leighton Samuels sticks with it.
Im comfortable for Chris Walker to be let go,i realise some fans hold him in cult status,but havent really seen him do anything special on the field in his time at the titans,dodgy defence as well,be good to see Mead or Shannon Walker kick on to first grade if he goes.

DIEHARD
02-06-09, 08:18 AM
I'm sure Leighton Samuels will stick with the Crusaders, he has come along way with the team and started at the very bottom. I know there crowds are down to just under 3k now.

I am really concerned with the amount of time the RFL gave Celtic to sign players and organise for Super League. Same with Les Cats when they came in. In this day and age I believe you need a lot longer lead in, the NRL gave the Titans ample time to sign players and get our shop in order.

Titan2007
02-06-09, 09:55 AM
I can understand if Chris HAD to go for financial reasons, but I believe the Titans should try and keep him here. Offer him a contract as well as give him employment within the Club. He has proven he is well liked with the fans and I think he would be great working either with school kids or with Junior League. I wish him well either way (although I reckon he and his family would prefer the sunny Gold Coast to cold, dreary England) :)

DIEHARD
09-06-09, 11:39 AM
Walker eyes a switch to union

CHRIS Walker is in danger of being lost to the Gold Coast, with the former Queensland Origin winger the latest NRL star to contemplate a move to rugby.

The Titans flyer faces a $300,000 sacrifice to remain at the club next season after fielding lucrative offers from Super League clubs Celtic Crusaders, Salford and Wakefield.

But a series of conversations with dual internationals Wendell Sailor and Mat Rogers has ignited Walker's desire to become a success in the 15-a-side code.

The 29-year-old has links with rugby. His uncle, Paul Mills, played for Queensland and Walker was on the cusp of defecting in 2003 after meeting then Waratahs coach Bob Dwyer, before South Sydney lured him with a big-money deal.

As he prepares for tomorrow night's match with the Dragons, Walker said he would be happy to talk to any rugby province interested in him - including the Queensland Reds.

"My manager mentioned there was interest in England, but there is a third option I'm considering. I'm definitely looking at rugby,'' Walker said. "I'm not just saying that to try to get my market value up in league because the Titans have made their offer and they've made it clear they aren't moving on it.

"If they (Australian Rugby Union) offered me a contract, I'd definitely look at it. I have a keen interest in the game and there is some union blood in the family, with my uncle having played rugby for Queensland."

"If I have to leave, it would be disappointing because I've loved my time here at the Titans and they've done a lot for me off the field. But I'll accept any challenge with open arms.''

The Titans have shown enormous faith in Walker. Two years ago, the club financed his rehabilitation after a much-publicised battle with alcoholism and depression.

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle is keen to retain Walker for 2010, but the club's one-year offer, worth about $120,000 a season, is dwarfed by the winger's earning potential in rugby and overseas.

Walker is confident he would be a hit in the rival code, saying he could play top-level football for another five years.

http://www.news.com.au/

DIEHARD
16-06-09, 02:05 PM
Walker hopes `that' try will save his Titans contract
Pat McLeod

CHRIS Walker hopes Saturday night's miracle try helps keep him a Titan, but the bloke framing that contract says the matchwinner kept the flyer out of reserve grade.

"That was one of the tries of the year, but the two knock-ons earlier didn't help us," said club managing director Michael Searle.

"He told me in the sheds after the game `I would have been playing for Ipswich if I had not scored that try'. And I said: `yes, you would have'."

Searle was referring to two Walker knock-ons earlier in the game. However those mistakes were instantly forgotten with his heroics in the final seconds.

With millimetres to spare Walker squeezed inside the corner post to plant the ball and deliver the Titans victory.

Although admitting he was 'filthy' at the two errors, Walker has a different opinion on his hold on first grade to his club boss.

"Definitely not. No I don't think I would have been dropped," he said.

"Considering my form this year I don't think a mistake like that warrants me going back to Queensland Cup. There was even talk of me being in contention for State of Origin.

"You can't go back to Queensland Cup that easy.

"I don't think Carty (coach John Cartwright) would drop me back.

"My form 11 games into a comeback has been pretty remarkable. I don't feel the pressure of anyone taking my spot."

Walker's and Searle's differing opinions on his first grade security most likely stem as much from contract negotiations as from the repercussions on-field errors.

The 29-year-old is considering a $200,000-a-year, two-year contract in England or staying put for far less money and a one-year-deal with the Titans.

Both Searle and Cartwright would love Walker to stay with the Titans, but the club boss is also renowned as a tough negotiator, who, under the constraints of the salary cap, hands out every dollar as if it was his last.

"That try will not change contract negotiations at all," he said.

"We don't judge players on one game. There is a far broader spectrum of issues that come into a decision."

Walker, who says he will make a call over his future by the end of July, was hoping that try would release the purse strings a little.

"It would be nice to think they (the Titans) would up the ante, but that is a question you would have to put to Searley," he said. "I just hope they see the importance of what I bring to the team."

There is no doubting Walker's popularity with the fans and teammates, which has been hard-won after his comeback this season from two snapped achilles, and the increasing touches of brilliance.

And, according to the NRL veteran, things are only going to get better.

"Eleven games into my comeback and already people are talking Origin. Imagine having a full season under my belt, I would be right in contention," he said.

TEENAGE Titan James Ryan faces up to two weeks out after he was hit with a Grade 2 dangerous contact charge during the under-20 side's 34-22 win over the Sydney Roosters.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
16-06-09, 02:13 PM
I agree one swallow doesn't make a summer but it's great to see Chris Walker talk himself up. Well done on a fantastic return to first grade footy.

I also think those pink footies have been going haywire all weekend, so two errors in those conditions isn't the end of the world.

Hopefully he will make up for them and be more consistant against the Warriors. But he certainly has that game winning X factor!

Titan2007
17-06-09, 09:04 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the Titans could sign him up for another two years. He has matured into a very nice genuine person. Perhaps they could also give him employment within the junior ranks to help supplement his income. I believe he is a terrific asset to the club and the Titans can only be better off with his involvement. Come on Titans, give him a future. :thumbsup:

PS: Even the 'so called' best of the game knock on and make mistakes.

My God, I have just realised I have repeated myself lol. (sorry)

Tamwelg
09-07-09, 10:37 PM
Wendel Sailor just reported on the Footy Show that Titans have withdrawn there offer for Walker, so looks like he will most likely be off the England next year.

Adelaide Titan
09-07-09, 10:57 PM
All the best to him, hopefully we can send him off with the NRL's top honour..a Premiership!

DIEHARD
09-07-09, 11:00 PM
Wendel Sailor just reported on the Footy Show that Titans have withdrawn there offer for Walker, so looks like he will most likely be off the England next year.

Yea I heard that as well on the Footy Show. It'd be sad to see Chris leave. But the last few weeks might be conspiring against him. The emergence of David Mead and the continued performance of Gordon and we also have Zillman and of course Shannon Walker who is back with Tweed at FB this weekend.

He would get more cash elsewhere and we aren't short a winger. Looks like it is going to happen. Just make sure if you go that you sign with one of my favourite Rugby Super League teams Chris!

Les Cats, Celtic, Hull FC, Salford... I'd add Harlequins if it was an independent club and not associated with a bloody union team, madness.

Also the danger of protracted contract negotitations is that the club would be unwilling to leave the money on the table for too long because of the increasingly likelihood of the offer not being accepted coupled with the decreasing opportunity to chase other talent.

BU07LLS
10-07-09, 10:38 PM
Yea I heard that as well on the Footy Show. It'd be sad to see Chris leave. But the last few weeks might be conspiring against him. The emergence of David Mead and the continued performance of Gordon and we also have Zillman and of course Shannon Walker who is back with Tweed at FB this weekend.

He would get more cash elsewhere and we aren't short a winger. Looks like it is going to happen. Just make sure if you go that you sign with one of my favourite Rugby Super League teams Chris!

Les Cats, Celtic, Hull FC, Salford... I'd add Harlequins if it was an independent club and not associated with a bloody union team, madness.

Also the danger of protracted contract negotitations is that the club would be unwilling to leave the money on the table for too long because of the increasingly likelihood of the offer not being accepted coupled with the decreasing opportunity to chase other talent.

DIEHARD, Im disappointed that Bradford Bulls are not on your favourite Super League teams ha ha. Fijian winger Semi Tadulala contract ends this season and rumours he heading for union to join ex Bull Lesley Vainikolo at Gloucester so that would leave good money available to sign Chris Walker? Just need ex Bull Brad Meyers to put a good word for club :)

If he doesn't join Bulls I wouldn't mind him going to Salford. This club round corner from my house and I go to their games when dont clash with Bulls :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
10-07-09, 11:09 PM
Well it is weird. I kinda see Bradford as the RSL's Manly, a team you love to hate. But there is still hope I might be swayed, cause my name is Brad. As a youngster I used to like them. :laugh: I will make sure I watch the next Bradford game on Nine down here.

But obviously my favourite teams are based on expansionism, I think the heartland clubs don't really need my support. I got a soft sport for Wakey though.

If you are lucky enough to sign Chris, he will go well for you, be a good signing.

amaline
12-07-09, 12:35 PM
Chris Walker cuts ties with Gold Coast and keen on move to Brisbane
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25765340-5018866,00.html

Gold Coast winger Chris Walker is eyeing a return to the Broncos after officially closing the door on the Titans.

As he prepares to face the Eels on Monday night at Skilled Park, Walker has ended months of speculation over his future by revealing he will sever ties with the Titans at the end of the season.

A swansong in the English Super League is no certainty, with Walker making it clear his preference is to remain in the NRL.

The 29-year-old says he is open to the prospect of playing for North Queensland or the Broncos - the club that launched his career in 1999.

"I'd definitely like to sit down and have a chat with the Broncos," Walker said.

"The Cowboys are another option. I'd love to play alongside guys like Matt Bowen and Johnathan Thurston. I'm a Queensland boy but I've been to Sydney before to play and I'd have no problems going back."

English clubs Celtic Crusaders, Salford and Wakefield have tabled two-year offers worth $200,000 a season.

Paul
12-07-09, 01:30 PM
Drop him now until he pisses off and let our future stars start on the wings.

amaline
12-07-09, 01:37 PM
Drop him now until he pisses off and let our future stars start on the wings.

Mead is a better option anyway. It'd be interesting to see where Walker would play if he signed with the Broncos. Probably a replacement for Hunt, seeing as they have Folau and Winterstein on the wings.

GCT_89
12-07-09, 05:57 PM
i have ALWAYS been a C. Walker supporter......and have backed him all the way through all the trouble hes had at this club......

if he signs with the broncos, i will be tempted to BOO him at every game or every time he gets the ball.......

if he signs with any other NRL club or super league club.....i wont care, but to cut ties here and move an hour up the highway to the stupid broncos.......is an insult!

DIEHARD
12-07-09, 06:13 PM
Well the Chris Walker question is half answered. He won't be a Titan in 2010. Probably the part we are all most interested in.

It will be interesting to see what we do with selections. You'd have to rate Mead as a very worthy replacement and now that Mead is certainly part of our long term future, it isn't hard to imagine him getting the jump selection-wise on Chris.

It wouldn't be like we were being spiteful like other examples, promoting a kid to replace him.

I love Chris and I will continue to be a fan of him. I've enjoyed his time at the Titans, scoring our firs try and goal. :thumbsup:

If he does go to the Broncos, there wouldn't be too many familiar faces there. Lockyer, Carroll.... that would probably be it.

Cowboys chould sign Walker, they signed Hegarty!

dee13
14-07-09, 04:41 PM
Poor old Walks.. Looks like he could be out for a couple of weeks with a torn hamy. He was going for scans this morning.

daveyk
14-07-09, 04:47 PM
Poor old Walks.. Looks like he could be out for a couple of weeks with a torn hamy. He was going for scans this morning.

if thats the case... we have an easy replacent with mead

DIEHARD
14-07-09, 04:51 PM

Ah damn, bad luck Chris, I hope he is back for us soon. Gives Mead an opportunity. Also props to David for saying g'day to the Titans fans and Legion after the game. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update Dee!

TITAN PETE
14-07-09, 07:47 PM

Yeah i heard the same & if Mead has a big 2 or 3 weeks then i don't see Walker getting back in the side in a hurry as the kid is an excitement machine that only knows 1 speed Flat Out & when u consider Walker's not in the teams plans for the future he may only grab his spot back if there's another injury :nope:

amaline
14-07-09, 08:04 PM
Every time Mead ran at the line, he seemed like he was going to bust through it and keep going.

curly_11
15-07-09, 07:40 AM
Every time Mead ran at the line, he seemed like he was going to bust through it and keep going.

Im glad im not the only one that noticed that! Hes was busting tackles like a front rower! :laugh:

Cowboy Titan
16-07-09, 12:06 PM
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...345_sport.html

Titans flyer Chris Walker will not be in Cowboys colours next season despite indicating he was keen to play for the club.

Cowboys executive director Peter Parr said his price tag was beyond the club.

''Chris was only keen if we could meet the financial demands his manager talked about, unfortunately we couldn't get anywhere near (that),'' Parr said.

amaline
16-07-09, 01:57 PM
I don't really think the Cowboys need him anyway. Aren't there a few young guys in the Under 20's ready to come through? Korostchuck and Geia (I remembered the first guy because his name is Chippie).

amaline
06-08-09, 03:22 PM
Another team rumoured to be signing Walker. It'll be interesting to see where he finally ends up.

Gold Coast Titans Chris Walker may get run at Celtic Crusaders
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25888861-5018866,00.html

By Steve Ricketts
August 06, 2009

Welsh rugby league club Celtic Crusaders hope to announce Gold Coast Titans winger Chris Walker as one of their big signings for the 2010 Super League season.

The Crusaders have made Walker a prime target as they seek to build on a maiden season, which has delivered only three wins in 23 rounds.

Coach John Dixon is expected to move into a development role at the club next year, with former Great Britain Test coach Brian Noble in the frame to take over the coaching reins with his future at Wigan still up in the air.

Walker said his manager Chris Orr had spoken to the Crusaders but nothing had been finalised.

Walker hopes to return from a hamstring injury against the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on Sunday.

DIEHARD
06-08-09, 04:04 PM
I would love to see him with the Crusaders. I have also heard a rumour. Brisbane. But I really doubt that.

Walks future signature must be one of the most rumoured in quite a while!

dee13
06-08-09, 04:25 PM
I would love to see him with the Crusaders. I have also heard a rumour. Brisbane. But I really doubt that.

Walks future signature must be one of the most rumoured in quite a while!

I saw him today. I knew there was something I wanted to ask him.

DIEHARD
06-08-09, 05:51 PM
Gold Coast Titans Chris Walker may get run at Celtic Crusaders

Welsh rugby league club Celtic Crusaders hope to announce Gold Coast Titans winger Chris Walker as one of their big signings for the 2010 Super League season.

The Crusaders have made Walker a prime target as they seek to build on a maiden season, which has delivered only three wins in 23 rounds.

Coach John Dixon is expected to move into a development role at the club next year, with former Great Britain Test coach Brian Noble in the frame to take over the coaching reins with his future at Wigan still up in the air.

Walker said his manager Chris Orr had spoken to the Crusaders but nothing had been finalised.

Walker hopes to return from a hamstring injury against the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on Sunday.

Former Warriors and North Queensland Cowboys forward Sione Faumuina has parted ways with English club Castleford after being dropped for disciplinary reasons by Australian coach Terry Matterson.

Faumuina, 28, is believed to have returned to Australia.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

BU07LLS
19-08-09, 04:24 AM
I suggested somewhere on this Titans forum that Chris Walker would be a perfect replacement for Bulls Semi Tadulala who's contract ends this season & likely to take up contract in union.

Well it's seem Bradfords board must listen to fans as Club are after Walkers signature. He's very unlikely to take up Celtics offer after todays shocking revelations!

http://bit.ly/TsbWL

GCT_07
19-08-09, 06:42 AM
Yeah..... not to happy with Walker, I just dont get how he can put his hand out for more money. Has he completely forgotten how the club threw him the lifeline in 07 to begin with, which he then threw back in their face ......but they continued to stand by him in 08 as well, has he completely forgotten about the pay check he cashed in 08 even though he didnt play. I m with the big boss man on this one, dont blame him for a second for taking the offer off the table. As for Walks saying "show him respect" wtf mate... do you have amnesia. I m not about to say reward him for getting his life on track either, every other player has their "life on track" we dont go rewarding them for it.

Yep, walks, your good at what you do but I wouldnt say great or fantastic. We are doing just fine at the moment without you. But thanks anyway...... get your passport ready mate......looks like your going to need it. :salute:

amaline
19-08-09, 07:25 AM
As for Walks saying "show him respect"

Yeah this is the part that gets me. I hope that what he said was taken out of context or something. The club stood by him for the past three years and put him in a better position to be able to attract offers like that from overseas clubs.

DIEHARD
19-08-09, 11:12 AM
Very disappointing to read that kind of thing. The club can certainly assure itself that it did show Walker alot of respect, patience and goodwill. It is a shame he can't stay on with the club, but very unneccessary to make such heavy comments in the media about it.

Definitely have to be on the club's side here...

GCT 07 is right though, we are cruising with Mead and Gordon. :thumbsup:

Thanks for bringing us some news from old England BU07LLS! Much appreciated.

~lee~
19-08-09, 07:29 PM
Bradford Bulls have launched a bid to sign Gold Coast Titans winger Chris Walker, according to an Australian Rugby League publication.

The NRL side made the revelation public after the 28-year-old accused the club of showing "a lack of respect" over their latest offer.

"The offer is off the table," Titans chief executive Michael Searle told Australia's Rugby League Week.

"He's had a ?100,000 offer from Bradford and he should take it."

He added: "We are not an ATM with an unlimited supply of cash."

Walker, formerly with Brisbane Broncos, has also been linked with a move to Celtic Crusaders.

"There are no hard feelings against the club at all but if they can't show me respect then we will have to part ways," said Walker.

bbc.co.uk

DIEHARD
19-08-09, 07:48 PM
"There are no hard feelings against the club at all but if they can't show me respect then we will have to part ways," said Walker.

bbc.co.uk

That is such a contradictory statement to me.

Anyway if he goes to Wales, remember to sort out your visa properly...

TITAN PETE
19-08-09, 07:53 PM
That is such a contradictory statement to me.

Anyway if he goes to Wales, remember to sort out your visa properly...

The full article is in this weeks RLW & he comes across as a sook :cry:

DIEHARD
22-08-09, 11:55 AM
Walker's not so bitter end

TITANS crowd favourite Chris Walker never wanted it to end like this.

After months of speculation surrounding his future, the former Queensland Origin flyer has finally accepted the fact he will be parting ways with the Gold Coast at the end of the season.

But that's not what hurts.

Walker is angered by reports this week that he has had a bitter fallout with the club over their unwillingness to offer him more money.

Yesterday he set the record straight.

"I was never filthy at the club," said Walker, who will almost certainly head overseas next season, most likely to play in the Super League with the Bradford Bulls.

"It would have been nice (to get a better deal) but that is business.

"That is what happens with football teams. Everyone eventually gets the tap on the shoulder or sometimes negotiations break down, that is just the way it is."

It has been claimed Walker took a `parting shot' at the Gold Coast for not bumping up his contract by an extra $40,000 to keep him in a Titans jumper for 2010.

Walker was quoted as saying the club's decision to withdraw their original one-year offer of about $110,000 a season and cut him loose showed a lack of respect.

The comments had the potential to sour Walker's final few games in a Titans jumper.

Fans and club administration understandably took offence, considering the Titans have stood by Walker through personal problems and injury since throwing him an NRL lifeline in 2007.

It fuelled a perception he was ungrateful.

He admits he said it. But feels it was taken out of context.

"There is a lot more to it than that but they just focused on the juicy bits," said Walker.

"The Titans have been great to me and my family and all that sort of stuff.

"There is no parting shot here. I am filthy that it has come out like that. I am as much a Titans fan now as I was when I first signed.

"If I do leave and play overseas I will still be following the boys and the progress of the team."

The Gold Coast's decision to invest heavily in the next generation of young stars was the main reason they were not prepared to increase the offer.

The 29-year-old now just wants to put the drama behind him and concentrate on playing footy.

Sidelined since Round 18 with a quadricep tear, Walker will miss tomorrow's clash against the Cronulla Sharks but will put his hand up for selection to take on the Wests Tigers next Saturday.

Walker faces tough competition to break back into the side, with young wingers David Mead and Kevin Gordon in impressive form.

PNG international Mead has scored six tries in nine matches while Gordon is the side's leading tryscorer this season with 10 from 18 games.

Walker has eight tries in 13 games, scoring four from his past four hit outs, including a freakish match-winner against the Roosters in Round 14.

But with fullback William Zillman facing a four-week suspension, Walker could yet prove a quality replacement in the No.1 jumper, freeing up Preston Campbell to remain at five-eighth and Mat Rogers at left centre.

"I definitely want to be back playing before we hit our first home semi-final," said Walker. "I really want to be a part of it."

eelectrica
22-08-09, 12:13 PM
I wish Walker all the best.
He really hasn't been on the field enough for the Titans to up his contract though. He seems to spend more time on the sideline than the playing field.

DIEHARD
22-08-09, 12:33 PM
I wish him good luck, he will always be one of my favourite players.

We have been very fortunate with the calibre of our youth coming through. They may be young, but to me they seem like old heads on young bodies. Gordon especially. He seems to be able to absorb the rough stuff and the pressure.

teke
22-08-09, 03:33 PM
There are a million stories about Clubs being disloyal to contracted players but Chris you are not one of them.

DIEHARD
17-11-09, 04:55 PM
Walker deal's a goer, no Bull

Former Titans winger Chris Walker's deal with English Super League side Bradford for 2010 is firm although there has been no official announcement by the club

THE manager of former Titans winger Chris Walker is adamant his client is still England-bound despite the Bradford Bulls filling their overseas player quota by signing Manly halfback Matt Orford.

Bradford were believed to have agreed to terms with Walker for 2010 but there has been no official announcement by the club.

The mystery was compounded further yesterday, with Orford snapping up what is believed to be the last place in the overseas cap by signing a deal worth $1.5 million over three seasons.

But Walker's manager Chris Orr said he last spoke to the club on Friday and was assured the contracts of both Walker and another of his clients, former Sharks fullback Brett Kearney, were secure.

The Bulls have trumpeted the signatures of Kearney and Manly duo Heath L'Estrange and Glenn Hall, and followed the progress of their visa applications closely on their website.

But there has been no mention of Walker.

Walker, who married partner Courtney in Byron Bay last weekend, could not be reached yesterday.

Orr said Walker's visa application remained on track and he was due to leave in a 'couple weeks'.

Hall, Kearney and L'Estrange have already been cleared by the UK Border Agency to take up their contracts with the Bulls.

Round 1 of the Super League competition starts on February 6.

The UK Border Agency last year tightened their criteria for visa applications and a number of high-profile NRL players were denied entry.

Greg Bird was stopped from linking with Bradford as he was awaiting trial on criminal charges when he made his application, while a driving ban stopped Todd Carney joining Huddersfield and Hull were denied the chance to recruit Maroons backrower Michael Crocker.

Kiwis international Greg Eastwood has only been given permission to join Leeds Rhinos this season after the move was initially stopped because of speeding offences.

Orford's departure leaves the Sea Eagles' halves ranks looking thin for 2010 but the club insists their talented youngsters, Kiwi international Kieran Foran, 19, and Queensland Cup player of the year Trent Hodkinson, 21, are ready to step up.

Orford, 31, had been mulling over a two-year contract extension with the Sea Eagles but opted to take the opportunity to fill a long-held ambition to play in England.

PARRAMATTA'S Timana Tahu has been ruled out of a rugby league comeback in the highly anticipated All Stars clash on the Gold Coast due to a previous judiciary charge.

The dual international was likely to be included in the Indigenous All Stars team named in Brisbane on Friday selected by an online fan poll.

But a review of judiciary records has confirmed that Tahu has yet to serve a two-match suspension imposed in his final game for the Eels during the 2007 NRL finals series before defecting to rugby union.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
18-11-09, 09:43 PM
Walker to block Orford's Bradford move

Matt Orford's move to Bradford could be in doubt after former Gold Coast winger Chris Walker revealed he is taking action against the English Super League club signing the Manly captain.

Orford, who announced last week he is leaving Manly to take up a lucrative contract in the UK, could be forced to stay in Australia after it emerged Bradford decided against signing Walker so they could secure the services of the 2008 Dally M Medal winner.

Prior to Orford becoming available, Bradford had already filled their quota of five overseas players and Walker could be left in limbo after rejecting a new contract from the Titans to sign with Bradford in August.

The former Sydney Roosters and Queensland star's manager Chris Orr said he will be asking lawyers to lobby the English Rugby League to block Orford's move.

"We will be looking at all options and the players association will be looking at all options and until Chris Walker's situation is resolved I can't see how they can sign Matt Orford," Orr told the Ten Network.

"It sets a terrible precedence if clubs can stockpile contracts sat on their desk and pick and choose who they want to activate.

"There has got to be a duty of care."

Sydney Titans Fanatic
18-11-09, 09:44 PM
PLEASE WALKER SCREW BRADFORD!!!For the love of sylve please come back to the gold coast and sign something

patskE
18-11-09, 11:08 PM
i cant see walker playing in our back line but, unless their is a few injury's aye
wish him the best
but i think its his time to play a few years on the super league aye

Supergoose
19-11-09, 10:43 AM
I'm happy for walker to screw Bradford but im more pleased that he is screwing over that mercenary orford.

patskE
19-11-09, 04:54 PM
^^^^ ahaha
how would the fan's feel?
his only playing with manly cause the offer didnt go through...

mikeyba
04-12-09, 01:21 PM
hey folks..

anyone have an update on walks situation.. love to see him back in the centres for us... :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
14-12-09, 09:24 PM
hey folks..

anyone have an update on walks situation.. love to see him back in the centres for us... :thumbsup:

He's been paid some Hush Money from Bradford & has signed with Catalan Dragons for 2 years;)

DIEHARD
14-12-09, 09:31 PM
Love to see him at Les Cats. Also great if he comes out on top financially, because he seems to have had enough bad luck lately.

Hope to hear some official news soon.

DIEHARD
14-12-09, 10:14 PM
Chris Walker agrees with the Dragons

The Catalans Dragons come to formalize a final transfer with the signing of this morning Australian Chris Walker for the next two seasons. Aged 29 years, this versatile player to 1m81 for 92 kg that can move the center to the wing or back was considered one of the fastest players in NRL. Capped six times with Queensland, he has done all States Of Origin between 2001 and 2002, scoring in each of three games in 2001. Former player of the NRL club Gold Coast Titans, he has also evolved under the colors of the Brisbane Broncos, the Melbourne Storm, the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters. Best Scorer of the Broncos in 2002, he scored 75 in his Test career in 138 games of NRL.

"This is good news for the club. It will bring the speed in the line of ?, which has sometimes been lacking. It is a terrific finisher, which I think will be quickly adopted by the Catalan public. With the arrival of this new player, there will be a tough competition behind which can be positive for the team. "Said Sebastian Munoz, manager

http://www.catalansdragons.com/fr/news14122009.php

hugebrianfan
15-12-09, 11:37 AM
wow i hope all goes well for him over there.. Good luck mate!

squirrell
15-12-09, 08:44 PM
well done chris mate...now ill have to follow them as well as the titans..:)

bigjim
07-03-10, 11:25 PM
Chris is a champion. All power to you.

Cowboy Titan
09-03-10, 06:08 PM
Dragons record first win
(UKPA) ? 3 days ago

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i0AYg-OqTEnfyC4nHu9271884JOQ

Catalans Dragons are off the mark in the Engage Super League after mounting a stirring fightback to run in five tries and claim a 24-12 win over Salford.
The Dragons bounced back from a humiliating 58-0 hammering at Wigan last week with a vastly improved show thanks to tries from Chris Walker (two), Clint Greenshields, Setaimata Sa and Sebastien Raguin.

Defeat for Salford was their fifth of the campaign and sees them replace Dragons at the foot of the standings, but it could have been so much better after leading 12-8 at the break.

The Reds opened the scoring in the 19th minute to grab their first try in 100 minutes of rugby when Stefan Ratchford fed Willie Talau to power over.

Ratchford tagged on the conversion but Catalans hit back when Walker finished off a slick handling move to go over in the corner after 24 minutes.
And five minutes later Sa's surging break allowed Dimitri Pelo to send Walker over for his second of the evening.

The Reds led at the break after Greenshields' poor pass was snapped up by Mark Henry for Ashley Gibson to scoot over in the corner and Ratchford landed the touchline conversion.

Salford were fortunate to edge the interval lead with Catalans looking the more threatening side for most of the first half.

The Reds were then lucky not to have Stuart Littler sin-binned for a blatant professional foul, before a poor Ratchford chip kick enabled the Dragons to race the full length of the field for Greenshields to cross in the corner, with Greg Mounis booting the conversion for 14-12.

That try was the first of three in 19 minutes as Catalans stretched their legs. Sa forced his way over for try number four with Mounis again on target, and the result was put beyond any doubt when Sa created the final try of the evening for Raguin as Salford ran out of steam.