PDA

View Full Version : Photo finish for Tigers spots next year

Super Cronk
29-11-05, 06:27 PM
Photo finish for Tigers spots next year-SMH

Not even Clive Churchill medallist Scott Prince is assured of a first grade spot next season as the Wests Tigers guard against complacency in their NRL premiership defence.

That's the word from coach Tim Sheens, who put his new recruits and last season's stars on notice as the team returned to the training paddock this week.

Sheens and assistant coach Royce Simmons posted four black and white photos on the office wall of the team's training headquarters at Concord - the premiership-winning teams of 1952 (Wests), 1969 (Balmain) and 2005 (Wests Tigers).

The last photo is of the 2006 squad, where all the faces have been blanked out to signify each and every spot is up for grabs next season.

"You'll also see this year's team of 2006 all blanked out except for Royce's and my face," Sheens said on Wednesday.

"That photo sits on the wall there and it's also the first thing I gave the players in their diaries.

"The fact is, you cannot assume you will be in the 2006 side - except Royce and I.

"They've tried to black our faces out as well, so I've actually laminated the photo so I could wipe it out if they tried it."

Jamaal Lolesi, Ryan O'Hara, Sam Harris, Keith Galloway and Ryan McGoldrick head an impressive list of recruits for the defending premiers, ensuring there is plenty of competition for first grade spots in the new year.

Sheens, who is in negotiations to stay at the Tigers beyond next season, said the new faces and the emergence of a crop of talented juniors would guard against "second-year syndrome".

The Tigers mentor also ruled himself out of the running for the Australian coaching position should it be vacated by Wayne Bennett, with his sole focus on steering his side to the first back-to-back premiership wins since Brisbane in 1992-93.

"To say there's grand final blues, there's definitely a pattern," Sheens said.

"There can be a group of players in their second-year syndrome - players who play well one year and then get their bums kicked the next.

"They have a bad season because they are generally unprepared mentally and physically. That transfers into a team situation if you don't prepare well and you're still celebrating at Christmas time.

"We've addressed that weeks ago at our first meeting well before we got to training, we started to pull their ears with a number of issues then."

Sheens also allayed concerns the Tigers would change their expansive attacking style after the addition of huge forwards Galloway, Harris and O'Hara.

"I've got a number of ideas I want to throw into our game next year, you work around the players you've got," Sheens said.

"If you've got a couple of strong-arm boys you don't not use that either, but by the same token the strength of our game is in our ability to transfer the ball.

"It will be a balance, I won't lean towards one over the other, I'll try to use all aspects of it if we can."

Tigers fullback Brett Hodgson said the players were enjoying getting back into training after winding up their premiership celebrations.

"Depth is an important part of any side and we lost a couple of good players, Patty Richards and Mark O'Neill have moved on unfortunately, but we have gained some excellent talent," he said.

"Provided they have good pre-seasons and remain fit and well I think they will add some strength to our squad."

-----------

Its great that sheens has come and said this. I hope he sticks by his guns. If a player does not perform then he wont be guarnteed a spot in the team, meaning every player will have to give their best every week. What better way to get the best out of your team.

Teegy
29-11-05, 06:31 PM
I doubt that this is true as Prince and Marshall are definitly assured of there positions

Steelers
29-11-05, 06:56 PM
I think this is good. You can't let players get too complacent.

Coaster
29-11-05, 06:59 PM
Its excellent coaching.

he is saying right from the start, if you think your reputation will get you a spot, you are wrong.

I think Prince and marshall will look fondly back at this approach in years to come.

Luke
29-11-05, 07:13 PM
did they sign Ryan MaGoldrick

Teegy
29-11-05, 07:16 PM
did they sign Ryan MaGoldrick
according to the article yes.

In-Cyde #1
29-11-05, 07:23 PM
Good coaching tactic.
Game 1 Season 2006 - is a whole new season.
Back to back is very hard to do.

Social Loafer
29-11-05, 09:25 PM
The National team selectors coudl learn from this, instead of picking teams on 2002 form....

..::Coops::..
29-11-05, 10:21 PM
where pat richards go2?

Super Cronk
29-11-05, 10:22 PM
where pat richards go2?

wigan.

(you can check the signings thread to see where players have gone)