PDA

View Full Version : Carty is quick to check on Walker

Tamwelg
23-03-09, 08:30 AM
Carty is quick to check on Walker

Luke Turgeon

March 23rd, 2009

COMEBACK Titan Chris Walker is poised to play his first NRL game in more than 18 months after coach John Cartwright made it a priority to check the former Queensland flyer's progress on returning to the Gold Coast yesterday.

Cartwright is tipped to wield the selection axe following Saturday's disappointing team display against the Dragons in Wollongong.

Walker, who has been making his comeback from back-to-back achilles injuries with feeder club Ipswich, is tipped for a Titans re-call against the Bulldogs on Friday at the expense of winger Jordan Atkins.

Cartwright yesterday sought out Ipswich coach Glen Lazarus for a report on how Walker, who has not played an NRL game since round 24 in 2007, performed during the Jets 28-20 loss to the Northern Pride at the weekend.

It is believed Cartwright is weighing up whether to pick Walker or slot William Zillman on to the wing.

Atkins had an out-of-sorts night in Wollongong, which led to him being replaced by Zillman mid-way through the second half.

Cartwright said he would sit down with his coaching staff today and decide the team for Friday's clash with the Bulldogs at Skilled Park, which will be announced tomorrow.

"I am not ruling any (changes) out," said Cartwright. "We will go over the game and we will watch Canterbury and try to come up with a side to beat them.

"We have won one and lost one, so it is a bit early to be making sweeping changes."

The Gold Coast struggled to find any rhythm against the Wayne Bennett-coached Dragons, who remain undefeated against the Titans.

Cartwright said he was pleased with the way the Titans hung in on a night when their mojo went missing.

"Everyone is result different and I am no different, said Cartwright. "But we are more about how we are playing.

"The most pleasing aspect of this game and the Newcastle game is that we were never out of it at any stage.

"At stages last year we dropped off but (against the Dragons) we kept knuckling down and making last-ditch tackles and saving tries and stayed in the game.

"While we do that, it is only a matter of time before our attack clicks and we are going to put some sides to the sword."

While Atkins is believed to be the Titan most in danger of losing his spot, interchange forward Aaron Cannings could make way for gritty young prop Michael Henderson, who has been 18th man for two weeks.

"We didn't get the bounce of the ball and a couple of decisions went against us but we had no excuse," said Cartwright.

"In the end we probably made too many errors and our execution wasn't as good as it should have been. Everything is not in sync at the moment.

"It is just not working as smoothly as it can. That execution will come."

The Gold Coast Bulletin

Tamwelg
23-03-09, 08:42 AM
Now theres a player I'd be very excited to see back at his best and back player first grade for the Titans. I don't think Atkins is the only change needed though. If Carty is going to continue with Rogers at 5/8, and it looks like he is, I'd go with a line up something like:

1. Zillman
2. C. Walker
3. Tonga
4. Delaney
5. Mead
6. Rogers
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Harrison

14. Henderson
15. Myers
16. Conn
17. Campbell

quins rl
23-03-09, 10:12 AM
I was hoping this headline was referring to Shannon Walker,not Chris.

hugebrianfan
23-03-09, 10:35 AM
this is interesting.. Hope carty makes the best desicion in picking the right team.

Steve
23-03-09, 11:56 AM
Chris could definitely add something to the team, but I still feel we have the issue of not using our wingers. The bombs to the wings are all well and good, but don't think we've scored off those this year yet, and I was watching the Storm, they went wide so often, really using their backs.

Rogers won't pass, Delaney won't pass, so we're really stifled there. Of course, the forward pack firing gives the backs more room, and I don't think our pack has hit its straps yet.

Ball running backs are great, but if all they ever do is run the ball all that's going to happen is they'll get tackled, the opposition know the ball won't be leaving their hands.
Run the ball, draw defenders, offload, share the ball around.

My personal choice for the back line with Walker coming in would be:

1. Campbell
2. Tonga
3. Rogers
4. Delaney
5. Walker
6. Zillman
7. Prince

As good as Rogers and Delaney are, if they won't pass the ball, then it's more like:

1. Campbell
2. Gordon
3. Walker
4. Tonga
5. Mead
6. Zillman
7. Prince

We've got a whole lot of firepower, we need to unleash it.

TITAN PETE
23-03-09, 12:41 PM
This would be my line up

1. Preso
2. C. Walker
3. Rogers
4. Delaney
5. Tonga
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Odwyer

14. Henderson
15. Myers
16. Harrison
17. S.Walker
18. Conn

Blunt_Beno
23-03-09, 12:56 PM
1. Campbell
2. Tonga
3. Rogers
4. Delaney
5. Walker
6. Zillman
7. Prince

completely agree with that line up. or zillman campbell around the other way.

GCT_89
23-03-09, 12:56 PM
As good as Rogers and Delaney are, if they won't pass the ball, then it's more like:

1. Campbell
2. Gordon
3. Walker
4. Tonga
5. Mead
6. Zillman
7. Prince

We've got a whole lot of firepower, we need to unleash it.

i know what your saying mate.....hopefully we can work on that
i love the look of that backline.....but when the opposition have the ball, they'll run straight through us all night.......rogers, delaney and graham are some of our hard hitter and great defenders.............

we've just gotta find the right balance agaisnt the right team...............

mb63
23-03-09, 04:16 PM
Things must be getting desperate for the titans if Cartright is considering Chris Walker.Zillman would be a much better option than Walker.

jasbec
23-03-09, 04:29 PM
I'd have ben jefferys back before chris walker!:laugh:

Steve
23-03-09, 04:44 PM
i love the look of that backline.....but when the opposition have the ball, they'll run straight through us all night.......rogers, delaney and graham are some of our hard hitter and great defenders.............

That's a tough one, but if our backs aren't scoring tries, doesn't matter how well they defend.

I look back to 03, the Panthers had an unstoppable backline. Didn't matter how many points the opposition scored because they'd just score more.
At the moment they're not scoring any, and that includes last year too, with a second rower our top try scorer.

Ryan
23-03-09, 05:07 PM

I wrecken Rogers is our biggest defensive liability, week in week out he is in our top 2 for missed tackles. You quite often see him come out of the line and leave a hole for opposition to score through aswell.

Chris Walkers head swelling confidence should serve us well Friday. We also need someone to knock the **** out of Ennis.

DIEHARD
23-03-09, 05:07 PM
I agree with Steve, rugby league is a game that you need to score points. And there are a few players who seem reluctant to move the ball, which is all important.

We have all the elements of a devastating attacking unit, if we spread the ball. I;m not calling for wholesale changes, just some augmentation to how a few players play.

I hope we see Chris Walker brought in. Put him on the wing. Zillman on the bench or if Prince is out, put Zillman at fullback and move Preston to halfback.

TITAN PETE
23-03-09, 06:58 PM
It the Prince is out

1. S. Walker
2. C. Walker
3. Rogers
4. Delaney
5. Tonga
6. Zillman
7. Presto
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Odwyer

14. Henderson
15. Myers
16. Harrison
17. Conn
18. Cannings

Steve
23-03-09, 07:04 PM
It the Prince is out

1. S. Walker
2. C. Walker
3. Rogers
4. Delaney
5. Tonga
6. Zillman
7. Presto
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Odwyer

14. Henderson
15. Myers
16. Harrison
17. S.Walker
18. Conn

You must really rate Shannon Walker. Selecting him twice! :D

TITAN PETE
23-03-09, 07:08 PM
You must really rate Shannon Walker. Selecting him twice! :D

He's that fast he could play Fullback & sit on the bench :fist:

goldcoastitans
23-03-09, 08:03 PM
chris walker is the man ...i personally would love to see him back on the wing

titanstattman
23-03-09, 11:50 PM
WALKERS ON WALKERS ON.....................

Boofhead
24-03-09, 12:02 AM
There is so many different combinations with and without Prince. I think the most effective line ups would look like:

No Prince
1: William Zillman
2: Esi Tonga
3: Josh Graham
4: Brett Delaney
5: Chris Walker
6: Matt Rogers
7: Preston Campbell

With Prince
1: William Zillman
2: Chris Walker
3: Mat Rogers
4: Brett Delaney
5: Esi Tonga
6: Preston Campbell
7: Scott Prince

hugebrianfan
24-03-09, 12:09 AM
chris walker is the man ...i personally would love to see him back on the wing

yeah, so would I. he does great wonders, i reckon

DIEHARD
24-03-09, 12:34 AM
Chris has the x factor!

teke
24-03-09, 02:09 AM
I agree with the person who said Titans need firepower in the backline. As it stands you dont really have anything except for Preston who cant run that distance you really need.

As a Manly fan your team is good, actually your forward pack is good, all you need is are a few sparks in the backline. Those sparks are Zillman, Mead, C Walker and Shannon if he cuts out the many errors he has in his game.

Im hoping Titans do a number on the dogs this week :D