PDA

View Full Version : Scott Prince: Aiming to be the best

DIEHARD
20-03-09, 05:03 PM
Aiming to be the best

THE PRINCE DIARIES by Scott Prince

WE cleared the first hurdle against the Knights but that's already history.

Tomorrow night we come up against the Dragons in Wollongong.

It's a crucial game that could give us a huge boost.

Here's how my week has been.

Friday: Day off. I spend it with the family and keep right away from football. That's not easy because there is so much excitement and hype surrounding the first game of the season.

Get into the housework. Kristy works part-time as an ambo so we share the chores. I love mowing. It's time I spend thinking and reflecting. Must be the two-stroke fumes.

Friday night football is a ritual in our house. We eat early, kids are bathed and we all sit down to watch the footy. The kids are allowed to stay up until half-time and then it is bedtime. Broncos v Cowboys.

I have mates in both teams. I keep an eye on Darren Lockyer and Johnathon Thurston. I study their games. It is an opportunity to get some tips, their pet plays.

Thursto looked sharp. I take the good things out of his game as I do the same with all quality rival players. Some of his shortside plays are interesting.

I want Thursto's mantle this year. I want to be the No.1 halfback in the game. Nothing personal, that is the way it is.

Saturday: 9am training at Skilled Park. Just a little over 24 hours to kickoff and the intensity is high. Everyone is talking. The feeling is good. Coach was pleased. Squad went away confident.

Sunday: Because of the early kickoff we didn't go for our regular pre-match swim in the surf. But I wanted to, so I rang my mate (NBL basketballer) Scotty McGregor about 7.30am and picked him up and went down to Miami for a swim. Went home and tried to get a power nap but the kids were running amok but that is when things fall back into perspective. You look at them and they don't care if I win, lose or draw. Their love is unconditional. So the stress levels fall.

Get to Skilled about half-time of the Simcorp under-20s Titans game (well done boys on a great win).

Team meeting. Carty touches on team goals, some of the plays, things to look out for.

Things didn't go to plan and in a blink we were down 14-0. At that stage I knew we were well in the game and that's what I told the boys: 'We can't play any worse. We have given them everything'. That's when things changed.

That's what was so pleasing. Being down and getting up. It's important to enjoy a win, but Carty said we didn't have anything to celebrate yet. He reminded us that we had a game against St George this weekend. A team we haven't beaten.

Did rehab at All Saints School. Went to Titanium Bar to meet some of the sponsors and fans and have a meal. At home, felt a bit crook because of the heat and the game. Tried to hydrate as much as I could.

Monday: Recovery day. We meet down at the North Burleigh surf lifesaving club. I am not the most confident swimmer in the surf so I have my own personal lifeguard to look after me.

Macca (strength and conditioning coach) tells all the players to go to shoulder depth in the surf, except me. 'Scotty, you go to knee-deep,' he said.

Tuesday: Up at 4.45am to do a segment on the Today Show at Surfers.

Training later, still rehab oriented. Skills session, but shorter. I feel things almost two days after a game, so I am struggling, especially because Sunday was our first game and the heat factor. The aches and pains really come out.

Wednesday: Watched Saints videos, their pet plays, their danger men and what we can do to create some havoc. Afternoon field session.

Expected to see Nathan Friend at training with a 'For Sale' sign not only on his jumper but also his shorts. Listened to Fox Footy telecast of our match and commentator Mark Braybrook only mentioned about 300 times that the tough little tyro was so far without a club for 2010.

Jokes aside, Friendy had another great game. Hope the window is still open at Titans.

Thursday: No training. I fly down to Sydney to shoot a segment for The Footy Show. Will stay there and meet up with the boys Friday.

Start focusing on Dragons Saturday night. Important game. Carty will come up with a game plan to beat them. We just have to execute.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au