PDA

View Full Version : Thompson has chance to lead from front with Sharks

Teegy
29-11-05, 09:03 AM
from SMH.com.au

CRONULLA coach Stuart Raper says that, far from having an attitude problem, new recruit Lance Thompson will have a leadership role at his new club.

Thompson yesterday signed a one-year "wait and see" contract with the Sharks after leaving St George Illawarra in controversial circumstances two weeks ago.

A report by Roy Masters in Saturday's Herald criticised Thompson's attitude to team bonding and training sessions.

"I've heard the stories and I'm not saying whether they're true or not true," Raper said. "Lance has got his side of the story and I'm happy to go forward with Lance. He's a real tough competitor and [is] someone we need at the club."

The Sharks found room under their salary cap for the rugged forward when Queensland Origin player Danny Nutley accepted an offer to play with Castleford in the UK Super League.

Thompson in a blue jersey won't make pleasant viewing for the Dragons fans who have stayed loyal to him, but it does set up an intriguing clash in round nine between the fierce southern-suburbs rivals at Shark Park.

With the loss of Nutley and the retirement of his front-row partner Jason Stevens, Raper said Thompson would slot into a leadership role in the Sharks' pack with fellow recruits Ben Ross and Darren Mapp.

"You don't bring someone in [who has played] 200 games to be a follower," he said. "He'll be the one we'll be looking to to lead from the front."

Sharks chief executive Steve Rogers said Thompson had requested and been granted some time off before joining official pre-season training to clear his head and refocus.

Thompson will fly to Perth to support his friend and former teammate, boxer Anthony Mundine, as he prepares to take on New Zealander Rico Chong Nee on December 11.

The former City Origin representative said his one-year deal was the perfect fit for 2006.

"I'm 27 now and my football's going not too bad, so we'll wait and see what happens at the end of this year and we'll just take it from there," he said.

Thompson agreed his 11-season career meant he would be needed in a leadership role at Cronulla.

"There's going to be a fair few young blokes who are going to seek advice, and I'll be able to give it," he said.

Thompson said there was no animosity between him and any of the Dragons players and that the clash in round nine would give them all "a laugh".

"I've got no hatred towards anybody at St George, any of the Dragons players, or the club itself," he said. "They've been great to me over 11 years and I don't regret anything that has happened at that club, so I'll move on. I'll move on with a smile and I move on with plenty of great memories."

Asked if he thought loyalty was dead in rugby league, Thompson declined to comment.

Meanwhile, the Sharks are still uncertain whether five-eighth Adam Dykes will be with them next season, a question they will be even keener to resolve after Nigel Vagana, who played in the No.6 position for New Zealand at the weekend, broke his leg and will require surgery.

DeeGan
29-11-05, 11:24 AM
Sure, Thompson can be a leader on the field, he is a veteran player with a bucket load of experience that will be invaluable given the Sharks have lost Peachey, Stevens, Sullivan and Nutley - off the field is where questions might be raised which is just as important to the club as on the field.

IMO the Sharks will reap the rewards here and made the right move in signing him. A change is just as good as a holiday - for Sharks fans, let's hope that rings true in the case of Lance Thompson.

DeeGan

Sharks
29-11-05, 05:25 PM
The way I see it is 'these times they are a changing'.Sharks have lost a lot of experience in Nutley,Stevens and Peach but gain the experience of Darren Albert,Ben Ross and Lance Thompson.I'm not going to blow my own trumpet but I will say that the Sharks have a competitive team in 06.

Research Station Drive
29-11-05, 09:05 PM
The way I see it is 'these times they are a changing'.Sharks have lost a lot of experience in Nutley,Stevens and Peach but gain the experience of Darren Albert,Ben Ross and Lance Thompson.I'm not going to blow my own trumpet but I will say that the Sharks have a competitive team in 06.

With a bit of luck Sharks should improve next year. Looks like a small mobile forward pack in the Tigers mould.

Vagana gone will be a huge blow. Lots of psychological question marks on the team - Kimmorley, Thompson...

Sharks
29-11-05, 10:15 PM
Vagana will be fit for round 2 next season.It is only a 8 week injury from now.

Research Station Drive
30-11-05, 11:31 AM
Vagana will be fit for round 2 next season.It is only a 8 week injury from now.

I hope so for your sake. I'm often astounded by how quickly players return from injuries these days.

It'll slow him down a bit though I imagine.

SuperCliffy#01
30-11-05, 01:24 PM
I wanted him to go to Manly, oh well Sharks gain, good on them, i have seen what they have for next year a tough team to beat (on paper). cya.