PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Anderson to play rugby union in Japan

Ryan
24-02-09, 09:00 PM
Cronulla Sharks utility Fraser Anderson to play rugby in Japan
February 24, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25101097-23214,00.html

FRASER Anderson has beaten Benji Marshall to the Japanese rugby union punch with the Cronulla utility gaining an immediate release from his NRL contract to switch codes.
While all eyes were on Marshall and his possible off-season move to Japan, Anderson snuck under everybody's guard to secure a lucrative two-year deal in Japan, believed to be worth three times his current Sharks contract.

Anderson's manager Lance Thompson had been in negotiations with Cronulla about a two-year extension to his existing deal, which had been due to expire at the end of this season.

"There was no way we could match the money being offered to Fraser and while disappointed to be losing a player of his ability, we have decided to allow him to accept this opportunity," Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia said.

With the start of the Japanese pre-season still some months away, Anderson asked the Sharks if he could stay on at the club until his departure.

It was an offer Zappia said the club could not accommodate, both for the effect on team harmony and a desire to back the NRL's hardline stance against players interchanging between the two codes.

"In discussing the situation with (coach) Ricky Stuart and the coaching staff, to allow something like this to occur mid-season would have been a major disruption to our fans and the playing group," Zappia said.

"We are also supporting the NRL in regards to their stance against players agreeing to contracts with rivals codes yet attempting to remain in the NRL."

Anderson's utility value had been a major asset to Stuart after he joined the club in 2007 following one season with Brisbane Broncos.

The rangy 24-year-old was used predominantly as a backrower last season, a factor which may have aided his chances of gaining a release given the Sharks' recruitment of Reni Maitua and the return of Reece Williams, who missed most of the 2008 season with injury.

Ryan
24-02-09, 09:03 PM
Lance Thompson you cheeky bugger!

What do you think CS? - How big a loss is this for the Sharks?

Sydney Titans Fanatic
24-02-09, 09:04 PM
SO why does fraser anderson get to go play rugby union in japan but benji marshall isnt aloud at all

Ryan
24-02-09, 09:06 PM
SO why does fraser anderson get to go play rugby union in japan but benji marshall isnt aloud at all
Benji wants a bite out of both pies - so to speak.......
He wanted to play Japanese Union in the off season while still contracted to NRL.

Fraser has just thrown in NRL altogether, to take up Japanese Union full time...

goldcoastitans
24-02-09, 11:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not Anderson.....he is such an awesome player to watch ....im going to watch him ....and who am i going to replace him with in my winning fantasy team???

DIEHARD
24-02-09, 11:56 PM
Well done to the Sharks for supporting the NRL's stance.

Ryan
25-02-09, 07:06 AM
Cronulla Sharks show Fraser Anderson the door, immediately
By Josh Massoud
February 25, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25101889-23214,00.html

Cronulla have taken an extraordinary stand against NRL players moving to rugby - banishing latest defector Fraser Anderson from training before ripping up his contract.

In a landmark day for cross-code relations, Anderson became the first league international to agree to terms with Japanese rugby.

The Daily Telegraph understands he has signed a two-year deal with club side Kobe that is believed to be worth $400,000 a season.

To complete the deal, Japanese officials insisted the rangy Mormon utility report for training in July.

Anderson and manager Lance Thompson, who ironically finished his career at Cronulla last season, approached Sharks management late last week to request that the 24-year-old be allowed to leave midway through the season.

Cronulla CEO Tony Zappia and coach Ricky Stuart considered the request over the weekend before responding in very public fashion Tuesday morning.

Anderson had reported to Toyota Park for training when Stuart ordered him from the field and into the main grandstand.

His time at the Sharks was effectively over from that moment, with Zappia later telling Thompson the 102kg Kiwi was free to head to Japan immediately.

"It's simply not appropriate for us to continue developing a player for a rival code," Zappia told The Daily Telegraph.

"We were actually in the process of negotiating to extend Fraser's contract when his agent came to us with this request.

"The club has decided that it's not in our interests for any player to leave mid-season, particularly when they are going to a rival code."

Zappia stressed that there was no animosity surrounding Fraser's release. Sources close to the player have confirmed Tuesday's amicable parting.

"Fraser understands why the Sharks let him go. He's okay with what they did," a friend said.

"The offer from Japan was just too good to refuse. He's going for the money - he wants to look after his family."

The development threatens to have huge ramifications for the transfer market, with international star Benji Marshall and possibly Karmichael Hunt weighing up offers from the Land of the Rising Sun.

NRL boss David Gallop has already said the league will not register players who return to the code from a rich off-season in Japan, as Marshall is currently seeking to do.

Anderson's Japanese deal, however, was offered on a full-time basis that prevented him from returning to the NRL in 2010.

Zappia said the NRL had endorsed the club's action.

"We are also supporting the NRL in regard to their stance against players agreeing to contracts with rival codes yet attempting to remain in the NRL."

Steve
25-02-09, 07:51 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not Anderson.....he is such an awesome player to watch ....im going to watch him ....and who am i going to replace him with in my winning fantasy team???

Haha, I was just thinking, I hope I didn't pick him in any of my fantasy teams. I think I may have. Ah well, he frees up a lot of the cap anyhow. ;)

Hoppy2007Dragons
25-02-09, 12:10 PM
Lucky its free trades till season kicks off. ive swapepd him for dean young.

Capital_Shark
25-02-09, 05:02 PM
Lance Thompson you cheeky bugger!

What do you think CS? - How big a loss is this for the Sharks?

I don't like it, obviously. Fraser was developing into a great backrower with centre capabilities to boot. A big season from him would have seen him in a NZ jumper by the end of the season I'm sure.

However, if we had to lose someone, its better it be a backrower as we're very well stocked there as opposed to other positions. If injury or Origin strike our backrow we'll really miss Ando.

Big loss, but not as big as it could of been. Also frees up some cash. Creates opportunities for a young bloke to step up. Whether we pay them more, bring someone in right away or use it to top up some 2009 contracts in a move to increase cap space for 2010 and belt the market then.. Have to wait and see. I'm sure Stuart has a few things in mind or he wouldn't of let him go. Can't forget Maitua is only on a lowish 1 year contract, so I guess his re-signing after this year has to be an option too. Ricky is a fan of Carney too and we all know Barrett is only good for 2 years max.

Super Cronk
25-02-09, 05:20 PM
fraser who?..........

DIEHARD
25-02-09, 05:56 PM
I always feared this type of thing, Australian rugby league being challenged by the enormity of other sporting economies such as Japan and Europe.

Australia is blessed that we have 4 football codes, a unique thing for a country. But this also denied our nation developing 1 definitive football code, so our fans, players, sponsors and resources are split 4 ways.

That is why rugby league needs to take every measure of innovation on board. Something that I think we are doing.

Twiggy
25-02-09, 09:55 PM
Anyone read the article by Matt Johns (I know...) about the whole Japanese rugby situation. I really think the bloke has no idea what he is going on about. He talks about the situation in the 1980's when the ESL (or British Rugby League back then) ran their season after ours had finished, and it became acceptable for top rugby league players to 'moonlight' on their club if they so chose. Valid point, but that's over 20 years ago now and in a game that is frequently changing it's hard to adapt nowdays with the current financial crisis and the money being thrown around in England, France and Japan.

That said, he does raise a good point about players having the right to earn as much as his ability allows him. I think this is a fair point. Why should we be able to chop and change jobs for more money or a better environment etc, yet when a professional sportsman does it they are automatically a traitor to their code and club. I really think a line needs to be drawn in the sand about 'moonlighting'. Personally, I think Gallop should stay out of it and leave it to the respective clubs discression.

Maybe some sort of contract could be drawn up between Japanese Rugby/ESL etc that enables them to 'loan' the player for x amount of time, and after that time is up said player must return to their NRL club. It could work both ways, as a talented player from Japan could spend some time in Australia developing their skills further. Who knows? It's a very touchy subject. For it to work there needs to be something to protect the clubs should injury strike or contractual issues arrive. Payouts perhaps? I don't know. It's all too confusing!

Sydney Titans Fanatic
25-02-09, 10:01 PM
If union and league had a deal alot of players would do it and get a taste for getting a lot more money in union then what they do in league, and then they would request to go over there permently because the money is 10x better than what league is,

its a good idea but i dont think it could possibly work at all, just because its rival codes and nrl or esl would not take the chance of loosing such great league players to union like in tonga japan or france

Twiggy
25-02-09, 10:29 PM
Well you see that's the thing. People like Tuqiri and Sailor said they prefer the game of league because being an outside back in union can be a bit boring at times. I think the only reason they continue to play is for money, which they would get on a loan programme.

Sure, we might lose a few players, but we are doing that already. Who's to say a loan program might lure a few union players over to our side of the fence so they can get more action.

I'm not saying it's the be all and end all, but it's simply an idea. I don't think the NRL is thinking hard enough into the situation.

DIEHARD
25-02-09, 10:42 PM
If players have a desire to play rugby league or think it's a better game, they have to commit to it 100%. No deals, no compromise, just one hard line stance from the NRL with the support of the clubs.

Social Loafer
25-02-09, 10:45 PM
Japanese Union :laugh:

I reckon I could get a gig in that if I tried out :laugh:

Sydney Titans Fanatic
25-02-09, 11:20 PM
I hounestly never new japenese union had there own rugby union comp, do you know how funny that could be, i recon the nrl should increase its salary cap by 500,000 and it just might decide whether a player stays in league or gos to union

DIEHARD
25-02-09, 11:57 PM
We do need to increase the cap, but we need more money first. Not all clubs could afford the raise and we would need to also increase the annual NRL club grants. We really need an increase in our next TV and new media contracts.

An extra $500,000 would certainly help make NRL contracts more appealing.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
26-02-09, 12:07 AM
Seeing Fox sport Shows 75% of the matches i think they could afford to pay the nrl more to show there matches especially the big matches and i just really cant imagine channell 9 giving the nrl much more than what there getting at the moment If they raised it by like $500,000 than we may evan start to attract people from the esl and evan international rugby union, But than again channell 9 always wins ratings when they show rep games

DIEHARD
26-02-09, 12:28 AM
No doubt rugby league is very undervalued and that it is the backbone of Fox Sports and NINE, hopefully we get some karma headed our way and we can get what we are truly worth.

Hoppy2007Dragons
26-02-09, 07:20 AM
Let them run off to Japan, France, Italy, England, they can play league, union, soccer, crocket, tennis for all i care, they want the big money they think they can get, good on em, in the end despite all the star players running off and chasing cash, their are still big players that stay because of fmaily, loyalty and representative football and we have the best breeding ground of young talent in the world. Whilst they shouldn't be playing half here half there, if they want to go, seeya later.

Steve
26-02-09, 07:41 AM
Let them run off to Japan, France, Italy, England, they can play league, union, soccer, crocket, tennis for all i care, they want the big money they think they can get, good on em, in the end despite all the star players running off and chasing cash, their are still big players that stay because of fmaily, loyalty and representative football and we have the best breeding ground of young talent in the world. Whilst they shouldn't be playing half here half there, if they want to go, seeya later.

I agree!

I don't really care that much about it. There'll be another great player rising up and taking his spot. I don't think any player that's gone to union has been missed for long.

Hoppy2007Dragons
26-02-09, 01:07 PM
Hear Hear Steve, Mark who.

Twiggy
26-02-09, 11:29 PM
I definitely think the NRL and NINE need to re-negotiate their deal. Fox Sports is great coverage, but not everyone has it so they aren't reaching their available audience. Free-to-air televion is without a doubt the best way to televise games. It would attract more viewers = more money for both the NRL and NINE, and in this financial crisis people might not be able to afford Foxtel or Austar. Give Foxsports the replays, and negotiate live games with NINE.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
26-02-09, 11:59 PM
Yer twiggy but do you remember when i think some body vs new zealand and it was like a 530 start, channell nine would not show the game live but replayed it at like 7.30, and the deal between nrl and nine are all finals games are shown live

Super Cronk
27-02-09, 03:46 PM
Japanese Union :laugh:

I reckon I could get a gig in that if I tried out :laugh:

but your a legend of league...how is that fair?

Coaster
27-02-09, 05:49 PM
I will bring up again my idea for a Challenge cup.

More money in the game, better coverage, bring the game to the bush, different Tv deals. More younger players given a go. Less strain on current NRL players due to knock out format. Clubs benifiting from more semi and final type exposure. More Corperate support due to more crowd support and different area exposure.

But lets just do the same crap we always have and expect a different result.

Capital_Shark
27-02-09, 07:36 PM
But lets just do the same crap we always have and expect a different result.

I thought we lost ya for a minute there, big fella but that late save put me back at ease.

Long live ... err.. survive Rugby League!