PDA

View Full Version : Titans team up to flog Sharks

titanstattman
24-02-09, 11:53 AM
February 23rd, 2009

TITANS coach John Cartwright's master plan of building a side that can survive without skipper Scott Prince is taking shape after a genuine `team effort' produced impressive results in Darwin at the weekend.

Cartwright said he could not single out any player in his 21-man squad, responsible for a 40-16 thumping of Cronulla, because all contributed equally to the victory.

"It probably wasn't a game where one person stood out," said Cartwright yesterday.

"I was really happy with everyone who took the field.

"There were a lot more contributors on the field than perhaps what we had last year.

"That was the most pleasing part of it, that it was hard to pick anyone above the guy next to him."

Solving the conundrum a player like Prince presents has been the Gold Coast's biggest challenge in the past two seasons. When Prince is healthy the Titans have proved a formidable premiership threat. But when he is sidelined through injury the club struggles to tread water.

A collarbone injury to Prince proved the death knell to the Titans' inaugural campaign, while a broken arm playing for Queensland in last year's State of Origin series cruelled any hopes they had of making the finals.

It is understood a large part of the Gold Coast's planning this season has centred around finding the right balance between relying on Prince and being able to function in his absence.

Cartwright will get his first look at how they fare without Prince this Saturday, with the Queensland and Test playmaker set to miss the final trial match against the Warriors in Lismore due to a long-standing family commitment.

"Brad (Davis) will start at halfback for Princey," said Cartwright. "Brad was there last year when a position came available and I think he is going to be even better this year.

"Mat Rogers will play in the halves and Kayne Lawton will probably play a bit of footy there as well.

"It is a long season and you use 30-odd players, so you have to give them all as much game time as you can.

"It would be nice if we would only use 17 players all year and no one got injured, but that is just not going to happen."

Utility Luke O'Dwyer, backrower Mark Minichiello, centre Brett Delaney, prop Ian Donnelly, centres Esi Tonga and Josh Graham and back- rower Sam Tagataese all scored four-pointers in the seven try to three demolition of Cronulla. Prince landed six conversions.

While encouraged by his troops' assault on the Sharks, who finished third last season, Cartwright was not getting carried away.

``They had a lot of players out and so did we,'' he said.

``But I was very happy with the effort and their attitude. If you get that right then that is half the battle.''

Cartwright said the Titans had suffered no injuries from the trial and is expected to name his side for the Warriors trial tomorrow.

``There are some guys with inside running for positions on the way they finished last season and their training this year,'' said Cartwright.

``But we are not going to get ahead of ourselves.''

GOLD COAST 40 (S Tagataese L O'Dwyer M Minichiello B Delaney I Donnelly E Tonga J Graham tries S Prince 6 goals) d CRONULLA 16 (K Snowdon C Hughes D Simmons tries M Brown 2 goals) at Richardson Park, Darwin. Crowd: Approx 9173.

www.goldcoast.com.au

goldcoastitans
25-02-09, 12:24 AM
aaah i loved the sounds of this thumping!!! i can hear it 42yrs of nothing!!

GCT_07
25-02-09, 01:03 AM
I can only really think of one sentence to explain the game.

"Unbelievable"

I Know... thats not a sentence.... only a word.... but if you add in the profanitys around it you get the real sense.

We so desperatly wanted to get the 42 years and nothing up and happening but it was hard enough just trying to get any chants going when you have 2 people screaming them out and 9000 looking at you like you have a serious problem....... I stood there screaming out thinking...... at least at Lismore there will be more of us.