DIEHARD
06-02-09, 06:41 PM
TITANS v SHARKS

Richardson Park, Darwin

Saturday February 21

7:30pm Main Game - Jetstar Titans v Sharks

Tickets available through:

Darwin Entertainment Centre - Phone (08) 8980 3333
Oasis News and Lotto - Shop 28 Oasis Shopping Centre, Chung Wah Tce, Palmerston NT or Phone (08) 8932 7877
Tourism Top End - 6 Bennet Street, Darwin NT or Phone (08) 8980 6000

Adult
$18 - General Entry
$28 - Grandstand

Concession
$9 - General Entry
$14 - Grandstand

Child (5-16)
$9 - General Entry
$14 - Grandstand

Child (Under 5)
FREE - General Entry
$14 - Grandstand

Family (2 Adult/2 Child)
$45 - Genral Entry
$68 - Grandstand

TITAN PETE
16-02-09, 05:57 PM
Carty was just on the GoldCoast news & said he will be naming a near full strength team to take on the Sharks & said it will be as close as possible to the team for round 1 match against the Knights, the only player in doubt is Presto so Zillman may get a shot at the 1 jersey with Matt White impressing on the weekend so he will partner Bull in the front row :thumbsup:

Number Name
1 Preston Campbell
2 Jordan Atkins
3 Josh Graham
4 Brett Delaney
5 Esi Tonga
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey ?
9 Nathan Friend
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O’Dwyer
Interchange
14 Brad Meyers
15 Will Matthews
16 William Zillman
17 Kayne Lawton
18 Sam Tagataese
19 Bodene Thompson
20 Brad Davis
21 David Mead
Coach John Cartwright

DIEHARD
16-02-09, 06:45 PM
PRINCE TO TAKE ON MORE PREDATORS IN DARWIN

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will unleash a host of stars in Darwin for Saturday night's pre-season trial match against Cronulla.

In what shapes as a full-scale dress rehearsal for the Jetstar Titans' round one match against Newcastle at Skilled Park on March 15, coach John Cartwright today named co-captains Scott Prince and Luke Bailey in a strong 21-man squad.

Also included in the squad are Prince's Australian World Cup teammate Anthony Laffranchi and experienced campaigners Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers.

For Prince, it will mark his second visit to Darwin in the past fortnight after he and other Titans players took part in the NRL's One Community Carnival.

It was during his visit to Darwin that Prince took on a giant saltwater crocodile at an entertainment park called Crocosaurus Cove.

"If I get the opportunity to do that again, I'd be more than happy to step in the tank and go round two with it,'' joked Prince of Burt the crocodile.

"I think it's great that there's some rugby league lovers up there. Even the Northern Territory team is called the Northern Territory Titans so it's got a good feel about it already.

"Speaking to a few of the locals up there, they are looking forward to it. There's a heap of people even flying in from Nhulunbuy Gove and Groote Eylandt as well.

"There's so many league supporters who are excited and can't wait for the match.''

Cartwright said Saturday night's clash against the Sharks would be an important part of the Titans' build-up before kick-off for season 2009.

"It will be a dress rehearsal for the Newcastle game. We want to get as much out of this game as we can,'' said Cartwright.

"It'll be tough conditions up there in Darwin, I'd imagine it'll be hot and greasy and it'll be a good arena for us to experience big match game time before the Newcastle game.''

Cartwright said the Jetstar Titans were exciting to be taking the game of rugby league to the Northern Territory.

"I'm not sure what to expect but I'd imagine there will be a big crowd. I played up there a few years ago, it's a great town and whatever we can do to promote the game up there we're more than happy to do,'' he said.

A handful of senior players will also travel to Rockhampton to play with the Jetstar Titans' under-20s NYC team against the Central Comets Queensland Cup side.

Titans Team: Trial Game V Cronulla
Venue: Richardson Park, (Darwin) Date: Saturday 21st February

1 Preston Campbell
2 Jordan Atkins
3 Josh Graham
4 Brett Delaney
5 Esi Tonga
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince (c)
8 Luke Bailey (c)
9 Nathan Friend
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O'Dwyer
Interchange
14 Brad Meyers
15 Will Matthews
16 William Zillman
17 Kayne Lawton
18 Sam TagataUnder
19 Bodene Thompson
20 Brad Davis
21 David Mead
Coach John Cartwright

Source: http://www.titans.com.auese

Supergoose
16-02-09, 09:57 PM
Very interesting. Looks like Cartright is showing his hand with Graham getting first chop at left centre and Esi Tonga on the right wing. Zillman must still be a little way off full fitness. I still reckon the wing and centre are still open as well as one prop, the lock and the bench forwards. Round 1 is going to look very similar to this team though.

GCT_89
16-02-09, 10:06 PM
Very interesting. Looks like Cartright is showing his hand with Graham getting first chop at left centre and Esi Tonga on the right wing. Zillman must still be a little way off full fitness. I still reckon the wing and centre are still open as well as one prop, the lock and the bench forwards. Round 1 is going to look very similar to this team though.

hang on, wheres harrison?

and yea, id love to see kevin Gordon and esi tonga at 2 & 3 repectivley
with delaney and atkins at 4 & 5 at the third trial in lismore....

patskE
16-02-09, 10:34 PM
not sure about grahman at centre.... was hoping we would have an attacking one this year :S
i spose they just resting zillman a bit more, taking him slow

GCT_07
16-02-09, 10:58 PM
I missed the first game which really sucked but this weekend will make up for it...... I am at the point now of counting down the days.... so for an update.... 3 days, 10 hours and the odd minutes (depending on how long it takes me to post) until I fly out WITH the team to Darwin. Ohhhhh Yeah.... Ohhhhh Yeah... Ohhh Yeah.......

Just getting my chants ready...... 42 Years and NOTHING....

Banners are packed... Flags are packed.....

Ohhhhh Yeah... Ohhhhhhh Yeah.... Ohhhhh Yeah......

I know... I ve tried REALLY hard to contain my excitement... I have.... see on here you cant see me doing cartwheels (goodness... what a sight that would be)

Titan2007
17-02-09, 07:27 AM
hang on, wheres harrison?

and yea, id love to see kevin Gordon and esi tonga at 2 & 3 repectivley
with delaney and atkins at 4 & 5 at the third trial in lismore....

Harrison had a shoulder operation (not major) a few weeks ago. Not expected back until round three. Depends on how fast the injury heals. ;)

Steve
17-02-09, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't be worrying too much about who is starting at the moment. While it's a strong team, it's still a trial and there'll be some moving around in the positions still up for grabs.
My guess is Graham will be battling O'Dwyer for the utility spot with Zillman booked into the centres.

It really feels like we've got some better depth this year. The only real trouble area would be if Prince was out again. That said, between Rankin, Preston and Zillman, I think even that won't have the effect it did last year.

curly_11
17-02-09, 07:53 AM
1 Preston Campbell
2 Esi Tonga
3 Zillman
4 Brett Delaney
5 David Meade / Chris Walker
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey ?
9 Nathan Friend
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Brad Meyers
15 Will Matthews
16 Daniel Conn
17 Kayne Lawton / Sam Tagataese/Luke ODwyer

I think this is pretty much what is in store for the titans for the majority of the year the only spots really available are 1 wing and 1 centre spots. If injuries happen it will open up spots for the others eg Walker, Birdie, Gordon etc...

Does anyone know where Conn is and how hes been going in the off season? Havent seen or heard much about him at all!

Titan2007
17-02-09, 10:34 AM
1 Preston Campbell
2 Esi Tonga
3 Zillman
4 Brett Delaney
5 David Meade / Chris Walker
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince ?
8 Luke Bailey ?
9 Nathan Friend
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Brad Meyers
15 Will Matthews
16 Daniel Conn
17 Kayne Lawton / Sam Tagataese/Luke ODwyer

I think this is pretty much what is in store for the titans for the majority of the year the only spots really available are 1 wing and 1 centre spots. If injuries happen it will open up spots for the others eg Walker, Birdie, Gordon etc...

Does anyone know where Conn is and how hes been going in the off season? Havent seen or heard much about him at all!

He has an injury (happened in pre-season training) Should be all good. ;)

DIEHARD
17-02-09, 03:28 PM
Comeback kid Chris Walker out of Gold Coast Titans' squad

COMEBACK kid Chris Walker will likely miss NRL selection and begin the 2009 season in the Queensland Cup as he continues to claw his way back from an 18-month layoff.

The former Queensland Origin flyer made a tentative return to the playing paddock at Wynnum's Kougari Oval on Saturday night.

However, 28-year-old Walker is far from guaranteed a walk-up start in the Gold Coast NRL side in round one.

He remains understandably short of match fitness and with his confidence yet to fully return, coach John Cartwright is set to instruct Walker to begin his year with state league outfit Ipswich Jets.

Walker was omitted from the 21-man squad named for this weekend's Darwin trial against 2008 preliminary finalists Cronulla.

He will instead line up in the centres for the Titans' reserve-grade team against the Central Comets in Rockhampton, alongside namesake Shannon Walker.

The tussle for NRL wing spots between the Titans speedsters is a three-man race between Esi Tonga, Jordan Atkins and David Mead.

Tonga remains in the hunt for the Coast's left centre jumper alongside recruit Will Zillman and reliable utility Josh Graham.

Zillman remains in the early stages of his playing comeback from a second left knee reconstruction in March after a brief dust-off on the weekend against Brisbane.

The former Canberra star is likely to man the three-quarter line alongside right centre Brett Delaney should his confidence and form be up to speed during the final two pre-season trials.

Prop Matthew White is in the box seat to earn a starting jumper against his former club the Newcastle in the Titans' NRL season opener at Skilled Park.

White will partner co-captain Luke Bailey in the engine room in Darwin with Brad Meyers, Will Matthews and Bodene Thompson named on the bench.

After a disappointing first-up hitout, Matthews is playing for his NRL interchange jumper against the Sharks, with the young prop under pressure from experienced big man Ian Donnelly.

Donnelly impressed against the Broncos and is likely to be given another shot in the club's final trial against the Warriors at Lismore on February 28.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
17-02-09, 05:13 PM
Prince has 80 minutes to find touch

TITANS skipper Scott Prince will head into the 2009 season with just 80 minutes of match practice, after yesterday revealing he would miss the club's final trial against the Warriors in Lismore.

Prince has a long-standing family commitment on February 28, meaning Saturday's hitout against the Sharks in Darwin will be his only test run before Round 1.

But the Australian and Queensland No.7 is not concerned by his limited preparation.

"It is a long year," said Prince. "You don't win the premiership in March, so as long as I get a hitout under my belt I will be happy with that.

"For me it is the only one so I have to go out there and start the season well. Come Round 1 you want to be playing some good football but it is a very long year and hopefully around June, July, August we will be hitting our straps."

The fact this weekend will be Prince's only run with the squad before the start of the season proper adds extra weight to an already highly anticipated Sharks trial, which will see coach John Cartwright unveil his first string side for 2009.

Cartwright yesterday named a 21-man squad for the Sharks encounter.

Hulking speedsters Esi Tonga and Jordan Atkins will have first crack at the hotly contested Titans wing spots, while Newcastle recruit Matt White will partner Luke Bailey in the front row.

Prince is excited by the prospect of having two big boppers on the flanks this season in Tonga (190cm, 100kg) and Atkins (189cm, 96kg).

"The good teams have the big outside men," said Prince. "So we need those guys in our team. It is one area where we were lacking a bit last year and that is no disrespect to the wingers that played but it is exciting to know there are young guys there that are tall and a lot bigger this year.

"Not only for our kicking game, in particular tries off kicks, but it will also allow us to counteract opposition teams with big outside backs in defence."

Fullback Preston Campbell is in doubt after rolling his ankle at training yesterday, while international backrower Anthony Laffranchi is battling a niggling hamstring complaint. But both are expected to play at this stage.

Cartwright said the Sharks clash was a 'dress rehearsal' for the season opener against Newcastle at Skilled Park on March 15.

"We want to get as much out of this game as we can," said Cartwright. "We want to go out and put a really good performance on against the Sharks, and the guys that do that put themselves in a good position to be picked for the first game.

"But guys can still play their way into the team.

"Nothing is set in stone at the moment."

Former State of Origin winger Chris Walker, who is on the comeback trail from injury, will line up against the Central Comets in Rockhampton on Saturday in a Titans side made up of under-20s players and the likes of Shannon Walker, Kevin Gordon, Brenton Bowen and Ian Donnelly. That team will be coached by under-20s assistant coach Peter Gill.

The Titans leave for Darwin on Thursday and will return to the Gold Cast on Sunday to prepare for next Saturday's final trial against New Zealand in Lismore.

Titans: Preston Campbell, Jordan Atkins, Josh Graham, Brett Delaney, Esi Tonga, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: Brad Meyers, Will Matthews, William Zillman, Kayne Lawton, Sam Tagataese, Bodene Thompson, Brad Davis, David Mead.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

GCT_07
17-02-09, 07:03 PM
Diehard............... well all I can say is.... I owe you a beer!

I was just reading through your post from the courier mail. Reading how the titans leave on Thursday......... I thought... ohhh the Courier Mail got it wrong.. they leave on Friday..... then I thought... and thought.... and then came "get the ....... out of here"

Got up... looked at my tickets.... and it is Thursday not Friday. I swear I would have been at the airport on Friday wondering where everyone was.

So Diehard.... CHEERS.... my week is shorter by one day which means a rediculous amount of work I have to get done in now 1 day..... but thanks to that post at least I wont miss the flight!

DAMN..... that was close:doh:

DIEHARD
17-02-09, 07:42 PM
Diehard............... well all I can say is.... I owe you a beer!

I was just reading through your post from the courier mail. Reading how the titans leave on Thursday......... I thought... ohhh the Courier Mail got it wrong.. they leave on Friday..... then I thought... and thought.... and then came "get the ....... out of here"

Got up... looked at my tickets.... and it is Thursday not Friday. I swear I would have been at the airport on Friday wondering where everyone was.

So Diehard.... CHEERS.... my week is shorter by one day which means a rediculous amount of work I have to get done in now 1 day..... but thanks to that post at least I wont miss the flight!

DAMN..... that was close:doh:

HOLY CRAP! :surprise: :surprise:

I get chills reading about that close call! That would have been a terrible situation otherwise!

Have a great time up north! Hopefully you can bring us back some pics and stories.

I'm so glad your trip had a happy ending before it has even begun already! :thumbsup:

It'll be quite a rugby league experience!

teke
18-02-09, 03:19 AM
This is pretty much the full strength squad to open the NRL season. Not a bad side imo.

DIEHARD
19-02-09, 06:37 AM
Titans trio touch down in Top End

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans players Brad Meyers and David Mead, along with assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister have touched down in Darwin a day ahead of their Titans teammates.

The trio met with Minister for Regional Development & Minister for Sport and Recreation, Mr Karl Rio Hampton MLA and members of the Northern Territory Titans under-16 rugby league team before setting out on a tough training session in oppressively humid conditions, with Gillmeister making sure his charges don?t miss any crucial training sessions ahead of Saturday night?ss NRL trial against Cronulla.

Gillmeister said sports fans in the north deserved to see more quality NRL matches and is hopeful the Titans can make the Northern Territory pilgrimage an annual event.

Gillmeister said, ?Just meeting the young Territory Titans players here today and everyone we have met since we touched down are so excited about Saturday?s game and I am really pleased that the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will provide them with a top notch squad containing some of rugby league?s most exciting players.?

?I have been up to Darwin quite a few times and I would love to see the Titans and the NT Government reach an agreement which resulted in the Titans playing a trial in the Top End each year.?

After impressing against Brisbane during last weekends opening season trial, Brad Meyers is looking forward to playing more valuable pre-season minutes against the Sharks on Saturday.

Meyers said, ?It was good to finally blow the cobwebs out last week, I know the young guys were itching to get out on the field after a really tough pre-season and I am sure the Titans more established players will be feeling exactly the same ahead of the Cronulla encounter.?

When quizzed on his goals for the 2009 season, Meyers echoed the sentiments of the entire first grade squad when he targeted an historic finals appearance, also suggesting there was still a strong desire to play at State level again.

?On a personal level I am really looking forward to the year ahead, my 2008 campaign was cut short with injury and if I can stay fit and play at the standard I know I am capable of and do a good job for Carty (John Cartwright) and the Titans, then yes I would love to play State Of Origin again.?

The remainder of the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans squad arrive in Darwin at 12.00pm tomorrow.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
19-02-09, 06:38 AM
Rogers excited to return to Darwin

Mat Rogers remembers Darwin as the place where a starry-eyed teenager once watched the Canterbury Bulldogs in a rare game of top-level rugby league in the Top End.

On Saturday night, the 33-year-old veteran will return to Darwin ? this time as one of the star attractions when the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans take on Cronulla in a pre-season trial match at Richardson Park.

?I remember as a kid that Canterbury went up there and played a game so it was very exciting for me as a youngster to see the NRL players come to town,?? said Rogers.

?To be able to be one of those players going back at a later date is pretty exciting, I know what a thrill it was for me, so I?m really looking forward to going up there and seeing a lot of the kids.??

Rogers? association with Darwin came about through his late father Steve, who was the CEO of the Darwin Rugby League during the early to mid 1990s.

His parents lived there for several years while he attended boarding school.

?My parents lived there so I?m looking forward to getting up there and having a game of footy and seeing some old friends,?? said Rogers.

?Rugby league has got a really strong following up there and the league went from strength to strength while dad was up there.

?I think he even coached the Nightcliffe Dragons to a premiership one year (1992) so it was exciting times.??

The dual-international, about to embark on his 15th season at the top, said he felt better than ever heading into his first hit-out for 2009.

?I think everyone?s pretty up-beat,?? said Rogers.

?It was funny, we were warming up yesterday and Mark Minichiello jumped out of his skin and said ?footy is around the corner?. It was like he was a big kid.

?We?ve been belting each other at training for so long, we?re looking forward to belting someone else in another coloured jersey.??

DIEHARD
19-02-09, 06:45 AM
Rogers feels pressure as rivals vie for selection

HE played 45 Tests for the Wallabies, made five State of Origin appearances for Queensland and boasts seven caps for the Kangaroos.

But Titans star Mat Rogers says the competition for Gold Coast positions is so intense heading into the club's second trial in Darwin that not even he feels safe.

Rogers will wear the No.6 jumper against his former club Cronulla on Saturday in the Northern Territory.

However, he believes he needs a big performance to ensure he keeps it.

"There are a lot of players putting their hands up for positions and everyone has got to make sure they are doing their best to hold their spots," said Rogers. "There are only two players in the squad that own their positions and that is Luke Bailey and Scott Prince."

Rogers has been given first crack at five-eighth by coach John Cartwright but he knows new recruit William Zillman and, to a lesser extent, under-20s star Jordan Rankin are poised to pounce.

At this stage, Zillman is tipped to start the NRL season in the centres.

"I am looking forward to running around with (Zillman), hopefully I can keep up," said Rogers. "He might be playing in my position, who knows?

"Everyone knows spots are up for grabs and we have got these young guys that for the past couple of months have gone from strength to strength.

"I watched them play on the weekend (in the club's first trial at Wynnum) and none of them looked out of place.

"Not even young Jordan Rankin, who is 17-years-old, looked out of place out there against the Broncos.

"There is no safety here and for a club to be strong, you need that.

"You need to know there are people knocking on the door and trying to get your position."

Rogers' parents lived in Darwin during the 1990s, where his late father Steve worked as a development officer for the ARL. He coached the Territory Titans representative side and local club Nightcliff Dragons to a premiership in 1992 before becoming CEO of Darwin Rugby League in 1995-96.

"It was exciting for me as a youngster to see the players come to town."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

amaline
19-02-09, 10:06 AM
Zillman to start at full-back in Darwin

Preston Campbell rolls ankle, William Zillman stakes Gold Coast Titans claim

WILLIAM Zillman has the chance to stake his claim for the Gold Coast Titans full-back job, with regular No.1 Preston Campbell set to miss the entire trial program through an ankle injury.

Zillman, signed from Canberra in the off-season, will play full-back against Cronulla in Darwin on Saturday night, with Campbell left to work overtime to be fit for the round 1 NRL game against Newcastle at Skilled Park on March 15.

Australia forward Anthony Laffranchi will also miss the Darwin trial, with a hamstring injury robbing him of his only chance to refresh his renowned partnership with half-back Scott Prince before the start of the season.

Prince has been given permission to sit out the club's final trial against the Warriors in Lismore on Saturday week because of a long-standing personal commitment.

Laffranchi hopes to play in Lismore after the return flight to Darwin was regarded as too big a risk for the management of his hamstring problem.

Cartwright said last week that he believed Zillman, who played full-back for the Raiders before a knee injury brought his 2008 campaign to an end, had the ability to play for Australia.

The Titans, however, are also looking at him as a centre or five-eighth.

"William and Brad Meyers will come into the starting team (in Darwin) with Shannon Walker and Ian Donnelly added to our squad," Cartwright said.

"'Presto' rolled his ankle at training but we expect he will be right for the start of the season.

"I only intended giving Anthony and 'Princey' one trial anyway because of the amount of football they had last year with the World Cup."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25076647-23214,00.html

DIEHARD
21-02-09, 11:07 PM
Titans down Sharks in Darwin

The Gold Coast Titans smashed the Cronulla Sharks 40-16 in their NRL trial match on Saturday night.

The Titans dominated the first two quarters at Darwin's steamy Richardson Park, retaining ball possession and slamming home the first two tries of the night.

Skipper Scott Prince engineered the Titan's attack and kicked six of seven goals while Mark Minichiello provided plenty of sting in defence, allowing the Queensland outfit to convincingly win by 24 points , with seven tries to three.

Prince headlined a host of stars, including veteran Matt Rogers, who showed attacking flair throughout the game despite the wet and slippery conditions.

Hard-running forward Minichiello scored the second try, coming from deep onto a short ball to break through Cronulla's lacklustre defence.

Corey Hughes set up the first try for the Sharks, providing a perfect inside ball to prop Kade Snowdon.

A sustained Titans attack resulted in the first try of the second quarter by Brett Delaney, while the Sharks lack of discipline ended in two penalties for the Titans and prop Ian Donnelly barging over the line.

A mistake from the Titans presented an opportunity for the Sharks to attack late in the second quarter, with hooker Corey Hughes scoring from dummy half on the final tackle.

Both teams retained possession well in the third quarter. A pin-point grubber kick from Blake Green led to the Shark's third try, with winger Dave Simmons pouncing on the ball just short of the dead ball line.

Ever the dominate force, the Titans hit back immediately with a try by Sam Tagataese.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

TITAN PETE
22-02-09, 07:33 AM
Great news & the most impressive part is there are no injurys , unlike 1 K.Hunt ;)

Tamwelg
22-02-09, 08:29 AM
Well done, that's a very convincing win, especially against a side hat defends like the Sharks. Did anyone from the forum go to this march?

Steve
22-02-09, 10:01 AM
Well done, that's a very convincing win, especially against a side hat defends like the Sharks. Did anyone from the forum go to this march?

I think GCT_07 flew up for the game. Not sure if her sons went with her!

karnage
22-02-09, 10:08 AM
From the Sydney Newspaper The Daily Telegraph

GOLD COAST TITANS 40 CRONULLA SHARKS 16

TRENT Barrett's comeback to the NRL began with a rude awakening after Cronulla were last night thrashed by a classy Gold Coast outfit.
In his first match in Australia for two years, the former Dragons star received a raucous cheer when he emerged from the tunnel in his new colours.

However, Barrett's much anticipated return failed to reach any great heights, playing just two 20-minute quarters and only offering fans a glimpse of his class.

The Sharks will need time for the new halves pairing of Barrett and rookie halfback Blake Green to take shape.

The Titans were in total contrast, clinical and dominant.

Scott Prince was outstanding in his first match since last year's World Cup.

The Sharks suffered a further blow with rising star Jason Bukuya carried from the field in the 60th minute with a serious ankle injury.

John Cartwright's focus on adding size across his squad was evident as the Gold Coast skipped out to a 12-0 lead, with tries to Luke O'Dwyer and Mark Minichiello.

The fact that three of their first four tries were scored by forwards gave locals an insight into the Titans' intentions this season.

Following a simple game plan, the Titans bustled Cronulla before their speed men capitalised.

A 32nd-minute try by talented winger Esi Tonga brought the locals to their feet.

Corey Hughes was outstanding in his debut for the Sharks.

Fulltime
GOLD COAST 40 (S Tagataese L O'Dwyer M Minichiello B Delaney I Donnelly E Tonga J Graham tries S Prince 6 goals) bt CRONULLA 16 (K Snowdon C Hughes D Simmons tries M Brown 2 goals) at Richardson Park, Darwin. Crowd: Approx 9,173.

hully gully
22-02-09, 10:19 AM
Hats off to the boys great win,other teams will have to take note as i don't think they were given full respect in the past

Assassin
22-02-09, 11:19 AM
always good to shake the monkey and get a win

surprised there's not more people on here celebrating a bit, I know its only a trial but a wins a win. must be a bit quiet in forum town???

*insert vision of tumbleweed rolling past here*

Assassin
22-02-09, 11:24 AM

?????????????????????
:ugh:

Steve
22-02-09, 11:25 AM
always good to shake the monkey and get a win

surprised there's not more people on here celebrating a bit, I know its only a trial but a wins a win. must be a bit quiet in forum town???

*insert vision of tumbleweed rolling past here*

I think a lot of people would have been out last night at Soundwave and Good Vibrations, still a bit early to be awake!

Ryan
22-02-09, 12:08 PM
Good win, but lets be realistic, the Sharks were missing their all-star back row. No Paul Gallen, Anthony Tupou, Reni Maitua and Fraser Anderson - so theres a good reason why the scoreline blew out.

Coaster
22-02-09, 12:40 PM
Good win, but doesnt mean a thing.

This year is about consistency and injury management, we all know we can score points, anything less then top 8 this season is a failure.

The honeymoon is over imo, this trial is just that, a trial to see who can get into the first grade team nothing more.

amaline
22-02-09, 02:51 PM
Good win, but doesnt mean a thing.

This year is about consistency and injury management, we all know we can score points, anything less then top 8 this season is a failure.

The honeymoon is over imo, this trial is just that, a trial to see who can get into the first grade team nothing more.

True but it is nice to hear a lot of guys are playing well and that we have more quality players than positions to play them in.

bigjim
22-02-09, 04:14 PM
No points up for grabs, but I can assure you, the win is important to the players.:thumbsup:

BringBackWillie
22-02-09, 07:34 PM
Was anyone on this forum able to actually go to this game? The ground looked packed!

dee13
22-02-09, 08:05 PM
I just got home from Sydney but I saw that the crowd figure from the news tonight showed over 9,100 in attendance which is awesome. Great to see the Titans pulling bigger crowds than a Roosters and Rabbitohs home game. HAHA.

A Good solid win but like it has been stated, the Sharks were a little undermaned. Well done to the fans that made the trip North.

Steve
22-02-09, 08:23 PM
Was anyone on this forum able to actually go to this game? The ground looked packed!

As I said earlier, GCT_07 went. Not sure about her sons!

Supergoose
22-02-09, 08:37 PM
I know it's only a trial but it's still nice to rack up some points and blow the cobwebs away. The first trial we were undermanned upfront compared to the Broncos and they ran over the top of us and now we have racked up some points by the sounds of it running through an undermanned Sharks pack. Lets hope the next trial our best pack is playing the Tigers (I think that's who we play) best pack just so we can see where we're at.

amaline
22-02-09, 08:47 PM
I know it's only a trial but it's still nice to rack up some points and blow the cobwebs away. The first trial we were undermanned upfront compared to the Broncos and they ran over the top of us and now we have racked up some points by the sounds of it running through an undermanned Sharks pack. Lets hope the next trial our best pack is playing the Tigers (I think that's who we play) best pack just so we can see where we're at.

Next game is the Warriors without Princey down in Lismore.

Steve
23-02-09, 03:28 PM
I was watching the match report on Titans TV... was Preston playing at hooker?

Definitely some good play going on, very excited for the start of the season.

Supergoose
23-02-09, 07:13 PM
Next game is the Warriors without Princey down in Lismore.

Even better at least they have a pack we can test ours against!!!!

GCT_89
23-02-09, 07:51 PM
I was watching the match report on Titans TV... was Preston playing at hooker?

Definitely some good play going on, very excited for the start of the season.

nah that was friendy.....i was mistaken at first too

DIEHARD
23-02-09, 08:27 PM
Jetstar Gold Coast Titans win Top End challenge.

An electrical storm at sunset provided the pre game entertainment at Darwin?s Richardson Park as the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and the Cronulla Sharks delivered the top end an NRL spectacular.

The 9000 plus strong crowd didn't have to wait long for first points with Luke ODwyer? barging his way over the line.

Making the most of the slippery conditions the Titans crossed again through Mark Minichiello, the boot of Scott Prince providing the Gold Coasters with a handy 12 point lead.

A dropped ball during the next set of six combined with some poor defence saw Cronulla reduce the deficit to six at the quarter time break.

Coach John Cartwright sent his starting 13 back out for the second period and after three minutes of play William Zillman looked set to register his first points in Titans colours, however the final pass from centre Josh graham was ruled forward.

Titan?s fans didn't have to wait too much longer for more points with Prince sending Brett Delaney through a yawning gap, the hardworking centre crossing untouched and taking the Titans to an eighteen , six lead.

Replacement forward Ian Donnelly then made an immediate impression, the big front rower barging over just seconds after taking the field.

Hit high early in the match, Jordan Atkins suffered a second high shot and was taken from the field, while at the other end of the field the Titans other winger, Esi Tonga found the try line after another Mat Rogers line break.

Esi?s good work was undone from the kick off with the Titans spilling possession, new Sharks signing Corey Hughes opening his point scoring account as the half time hooter sounded, the Titans in front twenty eight points to ten at the change.

As agreed both teams used the second stanza to experiment with their line up and it worked for the Titans with replacement five eighth Brad Davis weaving his way towards the line before flicking a pass out to Josh Graham who extended the Gold Coasters lead to twenty four points at the three quarter break.

After a period of play punctuated by handling errors, Cronulla?s Luke Simmons pounced on a grubber kick reducing the margin to eighteen points.

With new found sting in their forward pack, the Gold Coasters continually threatened the shark?s line, Brad Davis again bamboozling the Sharks defence before off loading to former storm flyer Sam Tagatese who crashed over between the uprights.

It was the final score of the night and the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans had collected the Top End challenge trophy, forty points to sixteen.
Coach John Cartwright delighted with the performance of his squad.

Cartwright said ?It?s a trial and you cant get too carried away with the result, but what I was particularly pleased with was the effort of everyone from the starting thirteen right through to those replacements who came on and did their bit.?

?We let in a couple of soft tries and we won?t want to be doing that in a few weeks time, however I felt the entire forward pack really took control of the game at times and allowed our backline combinations to execute the game plan as we wanted to.?

Scott Prince playing his only trial before the Titans season opener against Newcastle on March 15 said the Titans tough pre season campaign had paid dividends in the tough humid conditions.
?We have certainly worked extremely hard on speed, strength and power during the off season with Chris Mclellan and I think it showed tonight, the forwards were great and laid a great platform for us to work with. There is definitely plenty to work with and we?ll only improve as a team the more we train and play together.?

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will play the New Zealand Warriors in their final pre-season trial at Lismore next weekend.

To watch a highlights video of the match, click on the link below.

http://www.titans.com.au/index.php?page_id=tv

titanstattman
23-02-09, 08:34 PM
Win is a win and we won so good work boys we just getting the sharks ready for the 43 yrs and nothing

Sydney Titans Fanatic
23-02-09, 11:57 PM
At least we got some good recruits in the off season and after watching the highlights of the cronulla titans game, i think we have a good chance of making it in to the top 4 if we prevent injuries