PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: The New Heavyweight Champion of the World is...

DeeGan
27-11-05, 11:41 AM
Tri-Nations: The New Heavyweight Champion of the World is...

New Zealand.

No excuses from this side of the world ? New Zealand were the best team of the Tri-Nations with the only blight on the report card being the loss to the Great Britain side fighting to keep their spot. The Kiwis were guilty of looking too far ahead and paid the price that night though that is now forgotten, New Zealand are the new World Champions in rugby league!

I am not going to do my best impersonation of a Great Britain fan or commentator tossing up every excuse in the book- we were simply outplayed this morning by a New Zealand side who were impregnable in defense and disciplined with the ball in hand.

Let?s look at some stats from the final:

? Australia completed a meager 17 sets of six from 37 which is a poor 46% - New Zealand on the other hand completed 32 sets of six from 43 at 74% dominating possession from the kickoff.
? Australia made a whopping 20 errors to New Zealand?s 14 ? most of the Kiwi errors coming late in the game when the game was all but over.
? Australia had to make 328 tackles to New Zealand?s 247
? Australia missed 13 tackles with New Zealand missing 22 ? we had chances, we lacked execution.

In summary, this morning?s showing was the worst I have seen from an Australian team since I have been watching this great game. You can?t win a game of rugby league if you can?t complete your sets of six. Australia gave youngsters out there a lesson on how not to win a game of rugby league ticking off all check boxes; poor completion rate ? check, lot of dropped ball ? check, give away unnecessary penalties ? check, get beat up by the opponents forward pack ? check. You get the picture.

Stacey Jones was once again instrumental for New Zealand ? to fly halfway around the world twice in a short period of time and play like he did this morning was astonishing. I think he answered some critics out there tonight. A five star performance from the New Zealand maestro and my player of the series who will more than likely call it a day again for international rugby league.

Ruben Wiki, Paul Rauhihi, Motu Tony, David Kidwell, Louis Anderson, Shontayne Hape, David Faiumu, Roy Asotasi, David Solomona and Ali Lauititi? round of applause for you gents, well played. You dominated the game and paved the way to victory for your side schooling the Australian team at the same time. In all facets of forward play this morning you gave us a rugby league lesson which we were not able to answer.

There was not a bad performer for New Zealand ? the backline was great and the defense of the Kiwis was the most impressive aspect tonight. They stood firm and waited for the mistake or forced the issue.

Brian McClennan was unheard of heading into the Tri-Nations ? he is now in the rugby league history books and may he seen as the guy who turned it all around for New Zealand rugby league ten years from now. The job he has done with this under strength New Zealand team in 2005 is first class and at the same time a little scary. Why? Well kids like Benji Marshall, Sonny-Bill Williams and the like are to come back into the fray in 2006, this could be the dawning of a new era for rugby league.

Australia was once again best served by Anthony Minichiello who continues to go from strength to strength and Jason Ryles busted his gut out there this morning. Ryles made 42 tackles and 100 meters from 11 hitups, he can hold his head high.

Steve Ganson ? well what can I say? Not much as I prefer the neutral ref though geez, if your not going to ref according to the international rules in place why bother with him at all? He made the game frustrating to watch to say the least ? stop, start, stop, start. With the re-reading of the international rule book, how about a sprinkle of consistency when it comes to your interpretation of the rules you enforce. Hint: penalties in relation to the ?flop? tackle and around the ruck as a whole.

No, I am not blaming the ref for our defeat, our inept display took care of that, I have raised the issue prior to his loss with Ganson. He is refereeing according to the Super League rule book, not the international rule book.

What now for Australia?

It?s not all doom and gloom as the media will suggest tomorrow morning in the local papers though I think there will be a changing of the guard to some extent.

Wayne Bennett should in my opinion fall on his sword. The great rugby league coach has had great success for Australia though it?s time for a change at the helm. I mean, Chris Anderson was booted after winning the Tri-Nations title in 2003, what hope has Bennett got here after being apart of the Kangaroo side who lost the championship belt of rugby league?

Bennett needs to go back to the drawing board at club and international level. The game plan that was successful either changes or the team(s) he is in charge of falls behind the pack who are adapting to the ever evolving game of rugby league.

Without using injuries as an excuse, there are some world class players to come into the side. Darren Lockyer, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke Bailey and Andrew Johns will be waiting for the New Zealanders in April which will be a much anticipated rematch for rugby league fans. With that being said, neither of the four players mentioned would of prevented a New Zealand tonight ? they brought their A game this morning, no Johns or Lockyer could of reversed this result.

Our lack of aggression and impact in the forwards is cause for concern. In all three tests versus New Zealand we were dominated by the bigger more aggressive Kiwi pack.

Is there honestly any rugby league fan out there that believes Petero Civoniceva is test quality anymore? Sorry to harp on it, though Bennett?s faith in him is built on past performances and to have him starting for the entire series was a joke. Petero was carried by a successful side and a loyal coach, end of story. With Bennett, please remove Petero from the Australian squad.

Trent Barrett was disappointing as was Craig Gower. To their defense, they were behind a badly beaten forward pack which gave them no platform to work from. No halfback or five-eight will dominate a game if their forwards are not doing their job.

Our reign as ?World Champions of Rugby League? is over, deal with it, it is not the end of the world. We will bounce back in 2006 and the result will mean good things for the game internationally and in particular in New Zealand.

I salute Brian McClennan and his men this morning, well done, congratulations and see you in April next year.

Quick hits on?

Wayne Bennett not leading Australian team onto the field
Poor form Mr. Bennett ? Brian McClennan was up to doing it, so should have you. With any luck, the loss will see the demise of the great rugby league coach at international level. New Zealand beat us twice, troubled as in their loss and Bennett looks like he needs to get back to the drawing board at club and international level.

Chris Anderson was booted after winning the Tri-Nations series at the end of 2003 ? Bennett will be shown the door and we will have a fresh face at the helm in 2006.

Bennett?s reign was great one and his efforts in reigniting the international game will not be forgotten.

Australian Player of the Series is?.
Anthony Minichiello confirmed his status as the best fullback in the game and was a worthy winner of the Golden Boot Player of the Year award. Congratulations to Minichiello and some credit to Ricky Stuart who moved him to fullback in 2003 recognising his talent in the number one jersey.

Tri-Nations Player of the Series is?.
Stacey Jones was at the centre of everything for the New Zealand team in 2005 and he confirmed his standing as one of the greats of the game this Tri-Nations. Without him in 2004, New Zealand didn?t win a game, in 2005; they won the whole damn thing. The little general is every bit as important and influential on his team as a Darren Lockyer or Andrew Johns is on theirs.

My Tri-Nations Team of the Series
1.Anthony Minichiello (AUS) 2. Manu Vatuvei (NZ) 3. Mark Gasnier (AUS) 4. Matt Cooper (AUS) 5. Jake Webster (NZ) 6. Darren Lockyer (AUS) 7. Stacey Jones (NZ) 8. Ruben Wiki ? 9. Keiron Cunningham (GB) 10. Stuart Fielden (GB) 11. Luke O?Donnell (AUS) 12. David Kidwell (NZ) 13. Ben Kennedy (AUS) 14. Brent Webb (NZ) 15. Paul Rauhihi (NZ) 16. David Solomona (NZ) 17. Adrian Morley (GB)

This is my update for League Freaks website ;)

Cheers

DeeGan

Ipswich Fan
27-11-05, 12:24 PM
I agree with everything you said DeeGan.