PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Lockyer to halfback for Brisbane?

DeeGan
27-11-05, 12:12 PM
NRL: Lockyer to halfback for Brisbane?

Just got off the phone to my brother in Sydney and he is telling me he read a snippett from the Sunday Telegraph (don't laugh) suggesting Darren Lockyer may be wearing the number 7 jersey for Brisbane? :dizzy:

Anyone able to add more to that?

DeeGan

Queenslander
27-11-05, 12:57 PM
That sounds like one of the biggest load of horse poo stories ever to come out of NSW. Why would they do that for. Brett Seymour was doing very well at halfback. I say ignore it.

Luke
27-11-05, 01:00 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/sport theres the link to the site

Queenslander
27-11-05, 01:03 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/sport theres the link to the site

Nah its the sunday telegraph the link is: http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/index/0,9361,28780,00.html

and i dont see anything about lockyer

Luke
27-11-05, 01:08 PM
Nah its the sunday telegraph the link is: http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/index/0,9361,28780,00.html

and i dont see anything about lockyer

ok yeah sorry about that

DeeGan
27-11-05, 01:09 PM
My brother emailed me the 'piece' from the paper:

The Broncos are prepared to produce the shock selection of Darren Lockyer at halfback next season in a bid to overcome a scrum base injury crisis.

The injured test captain has never played in the number 7 jersey.

"We have a number of options (to replace Seymour) and Locky could play there" cheif executive Bruno Cullen said.

Is Seymour injured or is this a possible scenario in the event of injury to Seymour?

Interesting either way.

DeeGan

Queenslander
27-11-05, 01:11 PM
My brother emailed me the 'piece' from the paper:

Is Seymour injured or is this a possible scenario in the event of injury to Seymour?

Interesting either way.

DeeGan
I think it is a worse case scenario.....im just thinking its one of those "stories" to give people a laugh in the morning just like Blindeside in the Sunday Mail.

Luke
27-11-05, 01:20 PM
im sure lockyer wont play there shaun berrigan probly will.

Ipswich Fan
27-11-05, 01:21 PM
It may be a possibilit as Seymour is injured & will miss the first half of the season, add to that Berrick Barnes defection to Union & the half back cupboard is a bit bare at the Broncos. Will Lockyer be back for the start of the season though?

DeeGan
27-11-05, 01:42 PM
It may be a possibilit as Seymour is injured & will miss the first half of the season, add to that Berrick Barnes defection to Union & the half back cupboard is a bit bare at the Broncos. Will Lockyer be back for the start of the season though?

Lockyer will be fine for round 1 - well thats what I have heard anyway.

Thanks for the info on Seymour, what type of injury is it?

If he is injured, depth wise the Broncos are in a bit of hole aren't they and Lockyer moving to the position makes sense. Some options are:

* 6. Lockyer 7. S. Berrigan (Tate to centre with Hodges and one of the young wingers gets another shot in grade i.e. Irwin, Michaels or Tupou)
* 6. Hunt 7. Lockyer (Nick Parfitt to fullback)

If your a Brisbane fan, say a quick prayer and hope Ben Ikin isn't recalled :laugh:

DeeGan

Luke
27-11-05, 02:05 PM
if lockyer becomes halfback whats next Johns is going to play prop

Ipswich Fan
27-11-05, 02:11 PM
Lockyer will be fine for round 1 - well thats what I have heard anyway.

Thanks for the info on Seymour, what type of injury is it?

If he is injured, depth wise the Broncos are in a bit of hole aren't they and Lockyer moving to the position makes sense. Some options are:

* 6. Lockyer 7. S. Berrigan (Tate to centre with Hodges and one of the young wingers gets another shot in grade i.e. Irwin, Michaels or Tupou)
* 6. Hunt 7. Lockyer (Nick Parfitt to fullback)

If your a Brisbane fan, say a quick prayer and hope Ben Ikin isn't recalled :laugh:

DeeGanI can't recall what sort of injury Seymour has. There's always Darren Smith to call on. :laugh:

Queenslander
27-11-05, 02:35 PM
Seymour obtained a hamstring injury towards the end of the season. I dont think that this could be the injury in question (if there is one). However it could be related.

Ipswich Fan
27-11-05, 04:17 PM
Seymour had an off-season operation so i don't think it would be hamstring related.

Teegy
27-11-05, 04:19 PM
They have got to have a better solution than moving Locky to Half though.

Coaster
27-11-05, 04:35 PM
Seymour had a operation on a shoulder i believe

Lockyer wont be playing halfback
I am thinking Ennis will

Teegy
27-11-05, 04:36 PM
ennis is more suited to 5/8 than half IMO so locky could be half

Luke
27-11-05, 09:44 PM
this should be there backline

1.Karmichael Hunt
2.Scott Minto
3.Brent Tate
4.Justin Hodges
5.Leon Bott
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Shaun Berrigan

Unless they sign Adam Dykes and put him in halfback

Super Cronk
27-11-05, 10:22 PM
I dont like the idea of lockyer at halfback. He has a good kicking game but it needs to be better for half.

Luke
28-11-05, 07:09 PM
they might just have Casey McGuire as halfback

Steelers
28-11-05, 07:14 PM
they might just have Casey McGuire as halfback

That is definately what I would go for if I were Wayne Bennett. Casey has done it in the past and would continue to do well if need be.

ridgey
28-11-05, 08:30 PM
That sounds like one of the biggest load of horse poo stories ever to come out of NSW. Why would they do that for. Brett Seymour was doing very well at halfback. I say ignore it.

geez you do have bronco blinkers on,seymour doing very well he's the worst half in the NRL offers nothing to that Brisbane team :laugh:

Queenslander
28-11-05, 08:34 PM
geez you do have bronco blinkers on,seymour doing very well he's the worst half in the NRL offers nothing to that Brisbane team :laugh:

That may be true :laugh: but i was under the opinion that he was playing well particularly at the start of the season. Each to their own. I suppose if you compare him to Andrew Johns, he has got nothing; but still hes isnt the worse going around :thumbsup:

ridgey
28-11-05, 08:48 PM
my brisbane backline

1.shaun berrigan-reason-i think berrigan would be ideal at fullback for brisbane,he could get in around the ruck like a brett hodgson and cause some real havoc,+ he never passes the ball anyway.
2.brent tate-reason-played decent football on the wing for the roos,just needs more time to adapt defensively.
3.karmichael hunt-reason-hunt is the man for the broncos who can strighten the sometimes to lateral attack.strong,fast,great footwork and solid defence could be a trump in the centres getting 1 on 1 with opponents IMO
4.steve michaels-reason-brilliant young up and coming centre in the steve renouf mould.great fend and knows how to hit a hole and knows his way to the tryline.to good to waste in qld cup IMO
5.justin hodges-reason-although not a fan of hodges he was playing well before injury,big and strong just a question mark on the dodgy knee and his speed.
6.lockyer-reason-well what can you say,just needs to stop cramping his outside backs IMO.
7.casey mcguire-with the departure of berrick barnes which was 1 of the worst decisions in the clubs history if you ask me mcguire is the better option at half.seymour offers nothing in attack as a half and would be better served as a replacement hooker to ennis.

i can coach the broncos if all you fans are sick of M.r B!

Queenslander
28-11-05, 08:50 PM
Shaun Berrigan is an interesting choice at fullback. Berrigan could pull that one off he could play any back line position.

ridgey
28-11-05, 08:54 PM
Shaun Berrigan is an interesting choice at fullback. Berrigan could pull that one off he could play any back line position.

just get a patition going Q and i'll coach em for ya bud seriously :thumbsup:

Queenslander
28-11-05, 08:56 PM
just get a patition going Q and i'll coach em for ya bud seriously :thumbsup:

Im happy with Bennett mate, but when he quits then you will be on the top of my list :thumbsup:

DeeGan
29-11-05, 02:23 PM
my brisbane backline

1.shaun berrigan-reason-i think berrigan would be ideal at fullback for brisbane,he could get in around the ruck like a brett hodgson and cause some real havoc,+ he never passes the ball anyway.
2.brent tate-reason-played decent football on the wing for the roos,just needs more time to adapt defensively.
3.karmichael hunt-reason-hunt is the man for the broncos who can strighten the sometimes to lateral attack.strong,fast,great footwork and solid defence could be a trump in the centres getting 1 on 1 with opponents IMO
4.steve michaels-reason-brilliant young up and coming centre in the steve renouf mould.great fend and knows how to hit a hole and knows his way to the tryline.to good to waste in qld cup IMO
5.justin hodges-reason-although not a fan of hodges he was playing well before injury,big and strong just a question mark on the dodgy knee and his speed.
6.lockyer-reason-well what can you say,just needs to stop cramping his outside backs IMO.
7.casey mcguire-with the departure of berrick barnes which was 1 of the worst decisions in the clubs history if you ask me mcguire is the better option at half.seymour offers nothing in attack as a half and would be better served as a replacement hooker to ennis.

i can coach the broncos if all you fans are sick of M.r B!

Interesting - barring Lockyer and to a degree Tate, your telling members that Wayne Bennett has got it all wrong in Brisbane.

Shaun Berrigan, Brent Tate and Justin Hodges - three players who have represented QLD, Australia or both in the 3/4 line yet you deem them not up to the task at Brisbane?

Michaels is not in the same league as any of the three players he replaces.

karmichael hunt-reason-hunt is the man for the broncos who can strighten the sometimes to lateral attack.strong,fast,great footwork and solid defence could be a trump in the centres getting 1 on 1 with opponents IMO

The above is the reason why Karmichael Hunt is a potentially great fullback and not playing in the centres.

Interesting, I don't necessarily agree though. My backline for Brisbane will read:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Scott Minto
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Shaun Berrigan

or

1. Nick Parfitt
2. Scott Minto
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Karmichael Hunt
7. Darren Lockyer

or

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Brent Tate
3. Shaun Berrigan
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Casey McGuire

I wouldn't expect any extravagant position changes from Wayne Bennett.

The latter option might be preferred, I forgot all about Casey McGuire in the Brisbane side.

DeeGan

Teegy
29-11-05, 02:29 PM
Deegs dont forget Ennis has signed with te broncos aswell.

DeeGan
29-11-05, 02:37 PM
Deegs dont forget Ennis has signed with te broncos aswell.

Didn't forget mate - IMO he is a hooker, backrow or bench option only at Brisbane. Yes, he has played in the halves, though Brisbane have better alternatives IMO.

DeeGan

ridgey
29-11-05, 07:37 PM
Interesting - barring Lockyer and to a degree Tate, your telling members that Wayne Bennett has got it all wrong in Brisbane.

Shaun Berrigan, Brent Tate and Justin Hodges - three players who have represented QLD, Australia or both in the 3/4 line yet you deem them not up to the task at Brisbane?

The above is the reason why Karmichael Hunt is a potentially great fullback and not playing in the centres.

Interesting, I don't necessarily agree though. My backline for Brisbane will read:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Scott Minto
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Shaun Berrigan

or

1. Nick Parfitt
2. Scott Minto
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Karmichael Hunt
7. Darren Lockyer

or

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Brent Tate
3. Shaun Berrigan
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Casey McGuire

The latter option might be preferred, I forgot all about Casey McGuire in the Brisbane side.

DeeGan

in this day and age you need centres who are 90-100kg's with speed and power,although berrigan scored a bag of tries he gets steamrolled in defence.at fullback he could still inject himself into the attack and would be a constant threat in and around the rucks.i haven't said in any way shape or form that hodges and tate aren't up to the task in the centres i just feel they'd offer more from the wing and give brisbane more thrust coming out of their own half like tuqiri and sailor used to.and steve michaels well c'mon deegan unlike the broncos i'm trying to give youth a mention, i rate the kid and he is a classy young player,or do they just let them sign with a rival club or code.

Luke
29-11-05, 08:35 PM

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Scott Minto
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Shaun Berrigan
or

1. Nick Parfitt
2. Scott Minto
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Karmichael Hunt
7. Darren Lockyer

or

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Brent Tate
3. Shaun Berrigan
4. Justin Hodges
5. Leon Bott
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Casey McGuire

DeeGan

spot on, one the two bolded will probley be brisbanes backline

DeeGan
29-11-05, 11:59 PM
and steve michaels well c'mon deegan unlike the broncos i'm trying to give youth a mention, i rate the kid and he is a classy young player,or do they just let them sign with a rival club or code.

Giving a kid a go and what is best for the team would be two different things all together - each to their own though.

:fyi: Age is not a concern in the Brisbane backline nor their 3/4 line:

Karmichael Hunt: 17/11/1986
Brent Tate: 3/3/1982
Shaun Berrigan: 04/11/1978
Justin Hodges: 25/5/1982
Leon Bott: 30/10/1986
Darren Lockyer:24/3/1977
Brett Seymour: 27/9/1984
Casey McGuire: 24/1/1980

You have Tupou born in 82, Barba in 81 and Michaels in 87 - I don't see an agin backline here? Forward pack yes, backline, no.

Michaels is a future star for Brisbane (19 in January 06) and I am sure he will see more time in the top grade if there are injuries though he is not going to unsurp rep calibre centres nor is Karmichael Hunt.

As for letting another club or code signing him - I am sure he will be looked after by one of the "family" clubs in the NRL when or if the time comes. In saying that, he is relatively unproven at NRL level and will have to bide his time.

This is my opinion - we will take a look at the team sheet come round 1 2006 and see how we go ;)

DeeGan

Luke
30-11-05, 05:37 PM
in Rugby League Week they think Steve Michael will be starting wing

DeeGan
30-11-05, 05:51 PM
in Rugby League Week they think Steve Michael will be starting wing

Yet start Shaun Berrigan (last seasons leading try scorer) from the bench - interesting team selection. I don't tend to agree, I think S. Berrigan needs to start in the centres. This is a player who was the incumbent Test centre before the Tri-Nations tour some seem to forget.

If Michaels starts anywhere, it will be wing. Again, he will not unsurp one of either Tate, Berrigan or Hodges in the 3/4 line IMO.

DeeGan

Coaster
30-11-05, 07:34 PM
Berrigan is the weaker option for Center.

I wish i had a dollar for every try berrigan bombed this year. It goes far beyond being a hog, i dont think he is, he has a basic problem passing while on the run.

Watch as many games as you like, and i am sure you will find that 99.9% of the time Berrigan passes to his winger is when he is stationary, or one handed.

He doesnt have the creativity to be a Halfback, he showed that. So where does that leave him?

Hooker? Maybe- he shows a lot of strength and tackles well.
Utility? I think so- he has the ability to be a great hole runner, the option of half, hooker, center

My side would be
1. Hunt
2. Bott
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Minto
6. Lockyer
7. Ennis
8. Webke
9. B.Berrigan
10 Petro
11 Stagg
12 Thaiday
13 Carroll

14 Parker
15 S.Berrigan
16 Costigan
17 Thorn

This adds defence of about
+80% -in the halves
+20% -in the forwards
Even- outside backs
+20% -Bench

+speedy outside men
+Mobile back rowers
+Attacking bench
+Hard hitting and big bench
+good mix of new and old
+wingers will see the ball

If Broncos need anything they need wingers

Steelers
30-11-05, 07:42 PM
Berrigan is the weaker option for Center.

I wish i had a dollar for every try berrigan bombed this year. It goes far beyond being a hog, i dont think he is, he has a basic problem passing while on the run.

Watch as many games as you like, and i am sure you will find that 99.9% of the time Berrigan passes to his winger is when he is stationary, or one handed.

He doesnt have the creativity to be a Halfback, he showed that. So where does that leave him?

Hooker? Maybe- he shows a lot of strength and tackles well.
Utility? I think so- he has the ability to be a great hole runner, the option of half, hooker, center

My side would be
1. Hunt
2. Bott
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Minto
6. Lockyer
7. Ennis
8. Webke
9. B.Berrigan
10 Petro
11 Stagg
12 Thaiday
13 Carroll

14 Parker
15 S.Berrigan
16 Costigan
17 Thorn

This adds defence of about
+80% -in the halves
+20% -in the forwards
Even- outside backs
+20% -Bench

+speedy outside men
+Mobile back rowers
+Attacking bench
+Hard hitting and big bench
+good mix of new and old
+wingers will see the ball

If Broncos need anything they need wingers

I think B. Berrigan is gone isn't he?

Kallan
30-11-05, 07:44 PM
B. Berrigan isn't gone

Steelers
30-11-05, 07:48 PM
B. Berrigan isn't gone

My bad, it is just that I heard something about a week ago about him leaving. I guess this was some stupid rumour made up on the other forum :whatd: LOL