PDA

View Full Version : Farah re-signs with Tigers - Friend looks elsewhere

DIEHARD
29-11-08, 11:24 AM
Gold Coast focus switches to Farah

GOLD Coast's search for a hooker to complement halfback Scott Prince took an unexpected twist yesterday when it emerged the club had expressed interest in Robbie Farah.

The Titans were expected to put all their efforts into recruiting Melbourne and Australian No9 Cameron Smith, but it appears the club is ready to hedge its bets by talking to Farah's manager Sam Ayoub.

Titans managing director Michael Searle confirmed yesterday the club was keen to speak to Farah and Smith, both of whom are off contract at the end of next year, in coming weeks.

"They're two outstanding players," Searle said.

"One (Smith) is the Australian captain and I think (Farah) is the future NSW hooker. We would be foolish not to express an interest. If you're in the market for Cameron Smith there's no reason you wouldn't be in the market for Robbie Farah."

This month, The Weekend Australian revealed Farah had told West Tigers he wanted to explore his options on the open market.

Farah, earmarked as a future Blues rake and Tigers captain, has an edge over Smith in that he is a former team-mate of Prince at the Tigers, having won a premiership together in 2005.

The one question mark over the classy No9 relates to recent spinal surgery, although he is expected to make a full recovery.

While Gold Coast and one other club have expressed an interest in Farah, 24, the Tigers have made it clear they will put up a fight to keep him. The club is also ready to begin talks with five-eighth Benji Marshall, whose contract also ends next year.

The intermingling fortunes of Smith and Farah are intriguing given they have become feisty on-field rivals and are expected to oppose each other at State of Origin level next year.

Smith, who has spoken of his desire to finish his career in Queensland, has completed his commitments at the World Cup and is expected to focus on his future in coming weeks.

Searle said the Titans hoped to show Smith and his family the club's facilities on the tourist strip - the first step towards luring the Golden Boot winner back to southeast Queensland.

"We would like to resolve the situation sooner rather than later," Searle said.

"The benefit with Cameron Smith is Melbourne have said they will allow him to decide his future sooner rather than later."

Smith has taken the first significant step towards sorting things out by joining forces with the manager who handled Israel Folau's negotiations with Brisbane and Melbourne this year - Isaac Moses.

Moses has come in at the right time as Smith's next deal is expected to make him among the game's highest earners.

The Titans have foreshadowed a five-year deal for the Storm captain which could be worth $2.5million. With third parties factored in, Smith could earn more than $3m.

The Storm is unlikely to match the money at the Gold Coast, but hopes Smith's ties to Melbourne and the presence of coach Craig Bellamy will work in its favour.

The Australian

Ryan
29-11-08, 11:57 AM
I can't see too many players in the Tigers line-up that would be chewing up much of the salary cap. I think releasing Hogdson would have been insurance to be able to keep both Benji and Farah.

I wouldn't mind Farah or Smith in #9, I'm still wondering about Friend though.......

Steve
29-11-08, 12:16 PM
I think Friend has been awesome, but he's a different style of hooker to Farah and Smith, and that more play making hooker could be what they're looking for.

Assassin
29-11-08, 12:25 PM
Farrar is very classy, a little injury prone with his back and hip problems, and not quite as good as smith but still at a lower price (perhaps $350,000ish) is worth an investment. Benji even though he is a gold coast junour is far too injury prone so he would want to be willing to sign a pretty modest contract around the $250-$300,000 mark or otherwise I'd stay away.

This may also just be a ploy to help speed up cam smiths decision... seeing as he will tie up a huge chunk of salary cap the Titans will have several other contracts that will hinge on whether smith takes up their offer or not. The titans cant wait too long to organise these otherwise they may miss the boat on a number of players who just want to secure their 2010 season early.

patskE
29-11-08, 01:44 PM
anyone else feel like they are trying to get the tigers 05 team back 2gether? lol
casue my m8 who works at big league tells me benji is keen for the gc aswell ahah

Tamwelg
29-11-08, 03:05 PM
anyone else feel like they are trying to get the tigers 05 team back 2gether? lol
casue my m8 who works at big league tells me benji is keen for the gc aswell ahah

Nah, I think it is just insurance in case Smith doesn't sign. Smith would be the number 1 choice followed by Farah.

Timmy Titans
29-11-08, 03:37 PM
Farrar is very classy, a little injury prone with his back and hip problems, and not quite as good as smith but still at a lower price (perhaps $350,000ish) is worth an investment.

I read on the couriermail website recently that when he comes on the market he will be looking for offers around $500,000

Although I think he's abit arrogant asking that much

amaline
29-11-08, 04:43 PM
I read on the couriermail website recently that when he comes on the market he will be looking for offers around $500,000

Although I think he's abit arrogant asking that much

I read something like that too. It sounds like he (or his manager) is just trying to raise the amount he's worth.

daveyk
29-11-08, 06:49 PM
if ur injury prone (like he is) u would have to have rocks in your head to ak for that much....

Assassin
30-11-08, 08:21 AM
Yeah he's dreamin about the $500,000, unless of cause he's looking to go overseas to the ESL or perhaps rugby union. He'll probebly earn that if he wants to go to england now they are dropping their quota for import players for 2010. THey don't want to waste their couple quota spots on average players, they'll want the best.

It's funny you say it patske but for a while I've picked up on a bit of a vibe that the titans are keen to link benji and prince back up. I'm not sure if its just the management or perhaps benji's dropped them a few hints about wanting to come back to his old gold coast stomping ground but I've got this funny feeling you may see him there. If the tigers could find a quallity playmaker replacement I'm sure they wouldn't mind offloading him cause they must be sick to death of watching their highest paid player sit in rehab the last 3 years. His form goes a bit like.... 3 great games... one bad injury... 3 months off... 6 bad games... off season...3 great games ... one bad injury ....repeat.

Tamwelg
03-12-08, 03:17 AM
Titans out to hook Farah

Luke Turgeon

December 3rd, 2008

GOLD Coast Titans target Robbie Farah touched down at Coolangatta airport late yesterday to kick off negotiations about a possible move to the glitter strip in 2010.

The likely NSW State of Origin hooker and his manager Sam Ayoub met Titans managing director Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright for dinner, and will hold further talks today.

Farah will also tour the Titans facilities at Runaway Bay and Robina, and possibly check out real estate.
Have your say on the feedback form below

Since the Titans withdrew their multi-million dollar offer to Melbourne captain Cameron Smith, the club has funnelled its efforts into the highly regarded Wests Tigers rake.

The Gold Coast canned negotiations with Smith, as they believe his manager Isaac Moses was using the Titans as leverage to get the Australian and Queensland dummy-half a better deal with the Storm.

By contrast, Ayoub said Farah - off contract at the end of 2009 - was genuinely considering a move north.

"Obviously (this trip) is for him to get a feel for the club and to get a feel for the set up," said Ayoub.

"It is also to give him some food for thought about what his intentions are."

Searle said he was unlikely to submit an offer to the 24-year-old during discussions today but if talks go to plan, the club would probably table a deal before Christmas.

"At the moment Robbie just wants to assess the interest that is in him and look at the pros and cons associated with that interest," said Ayoub.

Widely tipped as the Origin replacement for Leeds-bound NSW hooker Danny Buderus, Farah could reportedly command more than $450,000 a season.

"I have full confidence that Robbie is genuinely considering a move," said Searle.

"We had some reservations about the intent of Cam, so we withdrew. The last thing any of us want to have happen is that we get used as part of a game.

"(Farah has shown us) what we were looking for from Cameron to a certain extent, a commitment that they are prepared to move out of their comfort zone and away from their current club and that this isn't just a price building exercise."

Ayoub said Farah's friendships with Titans Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi, who were members of the Tigers' 2005 premiership side, could weigh into his decision.

"Things like that certainly never hinder a club's chances of securing a player," said Ayoub.

NSW and Australian backrower Laffranchi said Farah would be an asset - but also threw his support behind incumbent hooker and crowd favourite Nathan Friend, also off contract at the end of 2009.

"Obviously we had that good connection coming through the ranks at the Tigers and with the 2005 premiership," said Laffranchi.

"He (Farah) is a quality player ... but it is hard to comment when it all might not happen and especially when we have got Friendy at the club. He has done his job and done it well for the past two years."

www.goldcoast.com.au

Tamwelg
14-12-08, 07:33 AM
I read in the Sunday Mail this morning that the Titans are looking at offering Robbie Farah about 1 million over 3 seasons, so about $330 000 a season. This is a figure that is a lot more realistic then some of the amounts that have been mentioned.

Assassin
14-12-08, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I recon thats the kind of money he'll get to be honest. I mean theres always 3rd party stuff he can try and chase but he still needs to raise his profile before that gets significant (perhaps once he's a blues regular). I'm with searle here id go a 330 farrar over a 250 friend to be frank.

Assassin
15-12-08, 08:37 PM
Christmas family get together may decide Robbie Farah's fateBy Laine Clark
December 15, 2008 CHRISTMAS is a special time for family man Robbie Farah but it may take on extra significance for the in-demand Wests Tigers rake this year.

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle said the Titans would not table a formal offer to the off contract, Sydney-based hooker until they know he was genuinely interested in relocating to the tourist strip - and the Farah family Christmas may yet decide his fate.

"We have always said if he wanted to spend some time over Christmas with his family and discuss it at length," Searle said.

"And if he wants to make that decision at Christmas that he wants to consider moving I will be on the first plane down there (Sydney) to meet him and his family.

"But if his decision is that he wants to stay at the Tigers we will respect that as well."

While the Wests Tigers are expected to table an offer to Farah this week, Searle said the Titans had not given the hooker a deadline.

"We are not going to put a timeline on the kid," he said.

"I have great respect for him being so devoted to his family. We would never try and impose an unreasonable time in him making a decision.

"The only thing we have said is we will table a formal offer to Robbie once his family is comfortable that he wants to relocate."

Farah's contract runs out at the end of 2009 but he wants to make a decision on 2010 and beyond before the next season starts, and has already been to the Gold Coast to meet Titans management.

Being a one club player would appeal to the fiercely loyal Farah.

But Searle believes the transformation of former Wests Tigers teammates Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi into regular internationals at the Gold Coast would make a trip north very tempting for Farah.

"I think he takes comfort from the fact that Laffranchi and Prince have continued to climb at a great rate by coming here," Searle said.

"Laffranchi realistically probably wasn't at that (representative) level when he first came up here.

"But he has continued to improve and I think that is something that Robbie will take some comfort out of.

"The bad old days are over when you come to the Gold Coast and your rep career is over - we have seen more rep careers start here than end here, that should give him some confidence."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24804458-23214,00.html

patskE
17-12-08, 11:37 PM
tbh i rkn farah will stay.
but dnt know about friend
he is asking to much :S

Tamwelg
18-12-08, 09:33 AM
To be honest I reckon Farah will stay.
Don't know about friend, he is asking to much :S

No doubt Farah wants to stay with the Tigers, but he is really unsure if that is in his best interests and I can see where he is coming from. The Tigers are a club that is really going backwards and in a few years time, I wouldn't be suprised if they face the axe.

The Tiger play to get Carney is an attempt to retain Farah, but I can't see this happening either. Farah has a massive decision on his hands and if the club manages to sign a quality number 7, then he will most likely resign with them. If they don't sign a quality 7, then I think Farah will see it as a bad career move for him to stay with the Tigers and he will sign with us.

I have gained a lot of respect for Farah in the way he is handling himself and will wish him the best with which ever way he goes.

Assassin
18-12-08, 02:03 PM
Yeah the tigers have been going nowhere fast since they won the premiership in 05 and prince left their ranks for the titans.

THey've spent their last couple years putting all their faith into benji as their primary playmaker and as an overall call id say its failed. Best thing for them may be to part ways with benji and get their hands on a good half back to revamp the place from 2010.

If carneys heads cleared up I really think he'd be good. thats "if"...

amaline
18-12-08, 03:00 PM
There is a video on FoxSports of an interview with Farah, saying he doesn't want to be forced into playing halfback and he wants to have made a decision before the start of the season. I don't think the Tigers will be able to secure Carney, not by the start of next season anyway. The only other options they have are probably Morris, Lewis or Marshall (unless they have someone in Under 20's ready to go.)

Assassin
18-12-08, 08:12 PM
Yeah farrar really didn't like the shift did he, I recon they need to bring in a decent half back for 2010 personally, its such an important position and they've spent the last 2 years just mucking around and chopping and changing people in there there's no wonder they havn't made the finals lately.

I'm pretty sure thurston wants to look around for 2010, they could go hard at him?... it would have to be dam hard mind you

Also on the cheeper end tim smith (if he passes a good character refference from his current uk club)

Chris Sandow also won't be tied up past 2010 yet I recon and he's got skills. He'd currently be on an entry level contract and the way the rabbits spend money to bring in players you have to wonder how their salary cap is looking.

Barney
26-12-08, 02:09 AM
Aparantley Robbie was interviewed on Channel 7 Sydney today at his charity golf day and mentioned that he had his family's support for the move up here.

patskE
27-12-08, 12:26 PM
assassin u do know chris sandow got his contract ripped up from the titans. i doubt they would do a back flip.
as long as bowen plays i think thurston will stay up there. and yeh smith is a gun player, but is he a number 6?

amaline
27-12-08, 01:24 PM
assassin u do know chris sandow got his contract ripped up from the titans. i doubt they would do a back flip.
as long as bowen plays i think thurston will stay up there. and yeh smith is a gun player, but is he a number 6?

I think assassin was referring to the Tigers needing a halfback to retain Farah and the options available to them.

Assassin
27-12-08, 03:28 PM
yeah sorry it was getting off topic but I was refering to the tigers with that one.

I also wouldn't be too sure about thursto either, based on his rhetoric of late he sounds like he wants to let everyone know he's open to offers. It was only a few years back he was playing with the dogs so I doubt he's what you'd call a dead loyal cowboy.

Tim Smiths an underated player too in my opinion, if he could get his head right he'd be a gun half back or 5/8 (I actually watched a super league game a couple months back and he's playing impact hooker with his team over there at the moment i noticed). If you doubt him just look at how the Eels went this year compared to last and he was the only major player who left.

patskE
27-12-08, 04:54 PM
goto youtube n serach tim smith. some great video's showing his vision n his passing game
never will forget that 30metre bullet right onto the guys chest

sportzstar_01
29-12-08, 11:35 AM
goto youtube n serach tim smith. some great video's showing his vision n his passing game
never will forget that 30metre bullet right onto the guys chest

I WANTED SMITH FAR OUT WAT THE HELL!!!!!!!LOL anyway i think there overeacting a bit by wanting farrah when we can still have smith i rekon there worried they wont get him so they want some others lined up just in case poor friend hahahah!!!!!!!!!!

amaline
29-12-08, 02:42 PM
I WANTED SMITH FAR OUT WAT THE HELL!!!!!!!LOL
Tim Smith would be a very handy player to pick up.

anyway i think there overeacting a bit by wanting farrah when we can still have smith i rekon there worried they wont get him so they want some others lined up just in case poor friend hahahah!!!!!!!!!!

Are you referring to Tim Smith or Cameron Smith? Cameron Smith extended his contract with the Storm by 4 years.

sportzstar_01
29-12-08, 05:48 PM

Are you referring to Tim Smith or Cameron Smith? Cameron Smith extended his contract with the Storm by 4 years.
cameron smith and i no he extended it thats why im like i WANTED!!!!!!!!smith not i want cam smith i no we wont get him now but go titans!!!!!::fight:

titanstattman
29-12-08, 11:05 PM
Wtf........................

Ryan
29-12-08, 11:12 PM
Wtf........................
I think it's Trent from Punchy!

titanstattman
29-12-08, 11:15 PM
I think it's Trent from Punchy!

Im trent im trent im ****ing trent

Assassin
30-12-08, 07:53 AM

I asumed he meant to say "we can still have friend" and smith was a typo, but now re-reading his reply I'm very confussed.

Ryan
10-01-09, 11:52 PM
Robbie Farah will soon decide whether to quit Wests Tigers for Gold Coast Titans
January 11, 2009
foxsports.com

THE future of hooker Robbie Farah will be clearer in the next 72 hours when he announces whether he will stay at Wests Tigers or join the Gold Coast in 2010.

A key member of the Tigers outfit that swept to premiership glory in 2005, Farah, 24, is the priority signing for both his current club and the Titans.

The Sunday Telegraph understands the Tigers will offer Farah the captaincy if he remains at their Concord headquarters, while Titans boss Michael Searle has a four-year deal waiting north of the Tweed.

A local Leichhardt Wanderers junior, Farah has been agonising over the decision for the past month after meeting Gold Coast officials and touring Skilled Stadium.

Farah's agent Sam Ayoub will sit down with his client on Sunday night to discuss the dummy-half's future beyond the coming season.

"It's been a tough few weeks for Robbie with a lot of sleepless nights. He'll be making a decision one way or the other in the next few days,'' Ayoub said.

"Both clubs have been great. It's a credit to what a professional organisation the Titans are that Robbie has given them the consideration he has.''

Gold Coast lured Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi, two of Farah's 2005 premiership-winning teammates, north of the border for the club's inaugural season in 2007.

Back-rower Laffranchi has developed into a NSW Origin and Kangaroos regular.

Titans boss Searle was far from confident about securing Farah's signature. Ayoub said it was 50-50.

"It's always difficult when you're attempting to move a player away from his family and his junior club,'' Searle said.

Ryan
10-01-09, 11:53 PM
72 hours and counting, it'll be good to get some closure on this one, whatever he decides.

DIEHARD
11-01-09, 03:50 AM
Definitely Ryan, be great to get this out of the way. A bit issue that will effect the make up of both teams, especially the Tigers in regards to Farah/Marshall.

For a player it must be a tug of war between loyalty to their club and the pull of getting new adventures out of their limited career span.

Coming to the Gold Coast would have to be the most exciting adventure in Australian rugby league. We have a new reputation of making players representative players, we aren't a dead end for higher honours. First class facilities and a new HQ that is from another galaxy, you just can't compare it to any other team.

It'll be awful tempting for Robbie.

Assassin
11-01-09, 02:48 PM
72 hours, thats brilliant to know, obviously because of the size of this contract the sooner this is decided the better for both teams. Its not just Farrar effected here, there will be about 3 players for each team which could find their 2010 chances hinge on which way this goes. If Farrar leaves the tigers expect them to "go shopping" big time to fill the void.

PS - As Tod Carneys not able to go to the ESL expect him to make a push not only to get reregistered for this year but sure up 2010 as well.

sportzstar_01
11-01-09, 04:24 PM
I asumed he meant to say "we can still have friend" and smith was a typo, but now re-reading his reply I'm very confussed.

no i meant i wanted cameron smith and i was angry i didnt know that he had signed though with melbourne azt the time thats why i was like we can still get him though but yeah i want farrah now never new much about him but watched some clips on him on youtube looks great he would have to be stiff to miss out on origin and sttuff anyway GO BRONCOS LOL i go for them and israel falou is gonna kick ass against titans lol.:laugh:

Assassin
11-01-09, 11:05 PM
shhh lay low on the Bronc flag waving buddy they can get a bit pitchfork and flaming torchesish round here if your not carefull... :ugh:

Ha just kidding seriously izzy will be a revelation for the club...oh and watch out for Langi Setu in the backrow he's gonna be our value for money buy of the year I recon.

sportzstar_01
11-01-09, 11:46 PM
shhh lay low on the Bronc flag waving buddy they can get a bit pitchfork and flaming torchesish round here if your not carefull... :ugh:

Ha just kidding seriously izzy will be a revelation for the club...oh and watch out for Langi Setu in the backrow he's gonna be our value for money buy of the year I recon.yeah and BEN TEO!

lonegull
12-01-09, 08:40 AM
In one of the Sundays papers Farah is expected to announce within the next couple of days his playing future

DIEHARD
12-01-09, 10:49 AM
If we sign Farah, Wests Tigers fans are going to hate us forever. :laugh:

Timmy Titans
12-01-09, 10:54 AM
In one of the Sundays papers Farah is expected to announce within the next couple of days his playing future

There is also an article saying that at the top of the page before this

Assassin
12-01-09, 03:12 PM
If we sign Farah, Wests Tigers fans are going to hate us forever. :laugh:

I highly doubt your on their xmas card list as it is after taking prince and laffranci of their hands :cry:

amaline
12-01-09, 03:28 PM
Haha, I've got a friend from work who is a huge Wests Tigers fan. He's still not over Prince leaving. He was saying that a mate of his from Sydney said Farah has all but signed with us, so he's not too happy. Guess we'll find out one way or the other in a few days.

Ryan
13-01-09, 07:20 AM
Robbie Farah and Nathan Friend turn back on the Gold Coast Titans
By Matt Marshall
January 13, 2009
foxsports.com.au

GOLD Coast's quest to lure a star hooker has failed, with Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah set to decline the club's poaching bid and current No. 9 Nathan Friend rejecting the club's final contract offer.
Farah is expected to re-sign with Wests Tigers as early as Tuesday while Friend declared he had been forced on to the open market after canning a revised two-year deal tabled by the Titans last Friday that featured a strict three-day deadline.

The Titans courted Farah last November after being unsuccessful in their bid to lure Australian Test hooker and Melbourne captain Cameron Smith to the sunshine strip.

Smith re-signed with the Storm last December, but Farah visited the Titans for a tour of the club's facilities and met head coach John Cartwright during the club's bid to sign him.

Expecting Farah to reject their advances, the Titans last week responded by presenting current No. 9 Friend with a slightly updated contract offer.

The updated two-year offer came after Friend rejected the club's initial pitch last year amid the hunt for Smith and Farah.

But the offer put to Friend had a three-day cut-off date which expired on Monday night.

Earlier, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said no subsequent offer would be made to the 27-year-old if the 5pm deadline was breached.

With Friend now on the hunt for a new club post-2009, the Titans are likely to offer former Brisbane Bronco Ian Lacey a contract for next season, while they also view youngster Kayne Lawton as a potential back-up option.

It is understood Farah, a former Leichhardt junior and 2005 premiership star, has received a lucrative long-term offer to remain at the Tigers.

This will mean forgoing a reunion with former premiership teammates Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi.

Titans centre Brett Delaney and young prop Will Matthews, 20, have been added to an eight-man players' representatives group alongside senior players Prince, Luke Bailey, Laffranchi, Preston Campbell, Mark Minichiello and Friend.

Ryan
13-01-09, 07:23 AM
ouch :(

Umm, I heard Aaron Payne was looking for a release...................... no I didn't :(

GCT_89
13-01-09, 07:48 AM
****!

:helpme:

well......its not all doom and gloom.......this wont be a problem till 2010......and with kayne lawton hopefully stepping up by then, it might not be a problem **fingers crossed**

in the mean time......what a year we're gonna have with FRIEND......he is now on the hunt for a contract for 2010, and will work his **** off more than he ever has on field to secure the best offer he can..............

Steve
13-01-09, 08:47 AM
Ian Lacey?
Oh god, I'd MUCH prefer keeping Friend over signing him.

Might have to shoot off an email to the Titans asking them not to put any players on the Legion members card next year. It seems to curse them into leaving. :(

Timmy Titans
13-01-09, 09:01 AM
****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely the is someone better then Ian lacey that we can buy.

I mean sure Kayne Lawton will be good but we might need someone with abit more experience

Assassin
13-01-09, 09:08 AM
Ian Lacey! Surely they've got a better back up plan then that or the titans are in major trouble next year.

This is bad news...

:doh:

Assassin
13-01-09, 09:10 AM
...very bad news

:doh:

DIEHARD
13-01-09, 09:16 AM
Wow... well I hope this doesn't all come to pass. It wouldn't only be terrible to see our play for representative hookers not pay off, but devastating to also lose Friend.

But even if we do lose Friend, as GCT 89 says you can't always live in the future, we'll still have him for a year and he will be playing for a contract.

But once 2010 rolls around we will have a big problem. We have seen what a Friendless Titans looks like. We need a quality replacement.

I'm off to do some research to see if I can find some quality options.

TITAN PETE
13-01-09, 10:02 AM
It's not all doom & gloom , Friend won't put in a bad game this year & i reckon most NRL teams would love to have a Kayne Lawton waiting for his chance in the top grade ;)

This year we will see a lot of the young guys step up when the chance arrives & i can't wait for it to start :D

Also i've been told by a few of the Titans players that Kayne is already bench pressing the heaviest weights in the club which is pretty impressive for a bloke of his size so he may become another Johns,Langer,Toovey type defender which would be awesome to see :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
13-01-09, 10:15 AM
It's not all doom & gloom , Friend won't put in a bad game this year & i reckon most NRL teams would love to have a Kayne Lawton waiting for his chance in the top grade ;)

This year we will see a lot of the young guys step up when the chance arrives & i can't wait for it to start :D

Also i've been told by a few of the Titans players that Kayne is already bench pressing the heaviest weights in the club which is pretty impressive for a bloke of his size so he may become another Johns,Langer,Toovey type defender which would be awesome to see :thumbsup:

That's heartening news Pete. It really will be a watershed year as you say, for our youth to step up and take the mantle.

Definitely will be keeping a big eye on our Toyota Cup, SG Ball and also the Jets and Seagulls this year.

amaline
13-01-09, 10:23 AM
I wonder if it's too late to get Ngwani back.

Ryan
13-01-09, 11:26 AM
I think it's been metioned before about our already light backs, you can't hide them all. The last thing we need is another hole in the defensive line, we need another Hooker who doesn't need to stand behind Bailey.

People still aren't looking far enough ahead, we're not looking for 'up and coming talent' ffs.. The whole idea of trying to sign Smith or Farrah was to buy experienced talent that is reliable, to replace the departure of Rogers & Preston no doubt.....

PROMETHEUS
13-01-09, 11:41 AM
Haha, I've got a friend from work who is a huge Wests Tigers fan. He's still not over Prince leaving. He was saying that a mate of his from Sydney said Farah has all but signed with us, so he's not too happy. Guess we'll find out one way or the other in a few days.

For the record,Prince was always going to leave Sydney,we were just fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time..;)

Assassin
13-01-09, 12:12 PM
I wonder what isaak luke's situation is like at the bunnys after this year, I've got a very high opinion of him and most players (not in semi retirement at least) seam reluctant to stay at the club.

TITAN PETE
13-01-09, 12:46 PM
I think it's been metioned before about our already light backs, you can't hide them all. The last thing we need is another hole in the defensive line, we need another Hooker who doesn't need to stand behind Bailey.

People still aren't looking far enough ahead, we're not looking for 'up and coming talent' ffs.. The whole idea of trying to sign Smith or Farrah was to buy experienced talent that is reliable, to replace the departure of Rogers & Preston no doubt.....

I agree mate but when the ship has sailed on departing players or someone who we failed to sign then the young talent coming through should be blooded while we still have the likes of Presto,Rogers,Bull & co to help guide them in the early stages of their careers.

There are quite a few young blokes who had made sensational starts in their 2008 1st grade year in Lachlan Coote,Wade Graham,Rapana & the Wolfman Williams just to mention a few!

amaline
13-01-09, 12:48 PM
For the record,Prince was always going to leave Sydney,we were just fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time..;)

Yeah, I've told him that a few times. He won't listen. ;)

Ryan
13-01-09, 01:40 PM
I agree mate but when the ship has sailed on departing players or someone who we failed to sign then the young talent coming through should be blooded while we still have the likes of Presto,Rogers,Bull & co to help guide them in the early stages of their careers.

There are quite a few young blokes who had made sensational starts in their 2008 1st grade year in Lachlan Coote,Wade Graham,Rapana & the Wolfman Williams just to mention a few!
So what are you suggesting, put Friend aside this year so we can blood Kayne Lawton ready for 2010?

Hooker is a 'slightly' more integral role than wing, blooding a freshy into a decent NRL Hooker will take longer than 12 months.

I also would like know Isaak Luke's situation.......

Assassin
13-01-09, 02:11 PM
So what are you suggesting, put Friend aside this year so we can blood Kayne Lawton ready for 2010?

Hooker is a 'slightly' more integral role than wing, blooding a freshy into a decent NRL Hooker will take longer than 12 months.

Your spot on you can't just throw a kid in at hooker too soon, it takes years to develop young players into good hookers especially defensively. Like you said, wing or fullback for sure but rushing an under 20 into starting number 9 has major problems.

I'm concerned

amaline
13-01-09, 02:30 PM

I think he is signed until 2011.

ant0202
13-01-09, 02:36 PM
Sorry guys, you got done over by player agents looking to boost the price of their players. Been happening to the Cows for years.
Friend is a good player but he's not a premier ship winning hooker. Happy to give you Aaron payne for a cut price figure!!! :)

dee13
13-01-09, 04:33 PM
IM NOT SAYING A DAMMED THING ABOUT THIS, EXCEPT, WHAT I HAVE SAID BEFORE. WE HAD A No 9 WHY DID WE NEED TO COURT 2 OTHERS. NOW WE HAVE NONE FOR 2010.

IT PROBABLY MADE NATHAN FEEL WORTHLESS. I WOULD LOOK ELSEWHERE IF I WAS HIM AS WELL.

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!

Ryan
13-01-09, 05:04 PM
IT PROBABLY MADE NATHAN FEEL WORTHLESS. I WOULD LOOK ELSEWHERE IF I WAS HIM AS WELL.

Worthless? Then why is he still asking for more than he's worth?
I think it's at the stage where the Smith\Farrah issue is irrelevent to Friends signature now. Friend has knocked back a third offer, with the third knowing about Farrah not signing I assume.

Regardless, when the Australian Captain comes off contract and says he wants to come home, you'd be stupid not to put an offer forward. Elite signings like Farrah don't come up every year, I'd be disappointed if the Titans didn't scope either of them out.

And it's not like Friend has already signed with another club. The door may re-open durring the year. Till then Nathan would wanna hope he doesn't get smacked by an injury, he might end up being be the one with all the regret.......

dee13
13-01-09, 05:20 PM
He is asking for more because he knows the ball is in his court.

I don't know what you do for a living Rysey but, How would you feel if you had worked hard at your job for a few years and the boss came along and started interviewing people for your position. You would be p**sed. There would be a few F.Us in there and you would start looking through the job section of the paper. I know I would. Now have a think about the guys around you at work, are they as good as you at your job. No way. So you tell the boss "Look if you're not happy with me then screw you. I will go somewhere where they will appreciate the work I do and pay me what Im worth.

Sorry forum, Im not a happy man today.

Ryan
13-01-09, 05:33 PM
I'm a realist, if I was a professional footballer I would accept this as part of the industry. Would I be upset? - Yes, but thats the game.
Nathan played his hand and pushed his luck, several times. He doesn't have the negotiating power of the likes of Farrah, because he ain't that good. He is good, and I'd love to keep him on the team, but what's done is done. Good luck to him if another club gives him $250k\4yr, but I doubt it. He hit the ball out of his court, and it went out on the full.......again. Game over.

When I read the news this morning I wasn't very happy either, but the team doesn't revolve around Nathan Friend - He ain't Scott Prince ;)

TITAN PETE
13-01-09, 05:34 PM
Well i'll throw another name in the ring in Matt Ballin as he has stated he would like to return to Qld in the future & his defence around the ruck in 08' was 2nd to none , i could see it now Ballin starts the match & Lawton comes off the bench ;)

Steve
13-01-09, 05:42 PM
As much as I hate it when this happens, I agree with Ryan.

Players are mercenaries, going for the biggest pay cheques, and the clubs have to get the best players they can.

Friend is a good player, he's been great. But he's not in the same league as Smith or Farrah.

Whether it was Friend or his manager, they've pushed too far.
They might come to an agreement down the track yet, there's still a year to go. Or who knows, maybe he'll get the money he's looking for elsewhere, or maybe he'll take a huge pay cut just to be able to play if negotiations don't go well, or even end up in England.

In a lot of contracted jobs it's normal for a job to be advertised when the contract ends and the current employee is free to reapply.

I just hope Lawton is ready for first grade pretty damn soon.

dee13
13-01-09, 05:43 PM
Don't go throwing names around Pete. There is a good reason why I don't get excited when names get thrown around, because most of the time it leads to disappointment. Let me know who has signed on the dotted line, and I will get excited if I think he is worth getting excited over.

:gossip: Did you hear Harry Bath is making a comeback as St George assistant coach next year.:rolf:

TITAN PETE
13-01-09, 05:46 PM
Don't go throwing names around Pete. There is a good reason why I don't get excited when names get thrown around, because most of the time it leads to disappointment. Let me know who has signed on the dotted line, and I will get excited if I think he is worth getting excited over.

:gossip: Did you hear Harry Bath is making a comeback as St George assistant coach next year.:rolf:

Take the suit off Dee your tempature is starting to rise :fist:

Bayside Titan
13-01-09, 05:48 PM
I have to agree with DEE. We started with Nathan Friend, went after two others ( Smith - Farrar ) now it seems that we will be left with nothing. I agree in going after Smith as he is a franchise player but after we didn't sign him we should have re-signed Friend and then moved on to sign a well known outside back. Now it seems that we will look like idiots to others in the League community.

We may have Lawton coming through but he needs about 2-3 years to develop. Coming from the U20 into first grade as a forward is a huge ask and task unlike if we was a back he has somewhere to hide and not required to work as hard as a forward.

dee13
13-01-09, 05:52 PM
I have to agree with DEE. We started with Nathan Friend, went after two others ( Smith - Farrar ) now it seems that we will be left with nothing. I agree in going after Smith as he is a franchise player but after we didn't sign him we should have re-signed Friend and then moved on to sign a well known outside back. Now it seems that we will look like idiots to others in the League community.

We may have Lawton coming through but he needs about 2-3 years to develop. Coming from the U20 into first grade as a forward is a huge ask and task unlike if we was a back he has somewhere to hide and not required to work as hard as a forward.

YES

You are my newest bestest friend!!!!!:thumbsup:

Ryan
13-01-09, 05:53 PM

Friend is the one who won't sign ffs :banghead:

Why is everybody still making out that it's the Titans rejecting Friend? :duh2:

dee13
13-01-09, 05:53 PM
Take the suit off Dee your tempature is starting to rise :fist:

Someone has to fire this place up Pete. Its a ghost town in here lately

dee13
13-01-09, 05:55 PM
Friend is the one who won't sign ffs :banghead:

Why is everybody still making out that it's the Titans rejecting Friend? :duh2:

The Titans have made it clear that he doesn't make the grade. What I said was "Why wouldn't he look somewhere else". Make them sweat a bit, no harm in that.

Ryan
13-01-09, 06:02 PM
The Titans have made it clear that he doesn't make the grade. What I said was "Why wouldn't he look somewhere else". Make them sweat a bit, no harm in that.
Not at all. Friend is off contract and is well justified to look around.

But I get the impression that some people are blaming Titans managment for not re-siging Friend, when it's Friend who doesn't want to re-sign.

dee13
13-01-09, 06:06 PM
Not at all. Friend is off contract and is well justified to look around.

But I get the impression that some people are blaming Titans managment for not re-siging Friend, when it's Friend who doesn't want to re-sign.

No No No Rysey:dizzy:

Im blaming the Titans management for not having faith in his ability and Pi**ing him off enough to want to look somewhere else,

patskE
13-01-09, 06:06 PM
didnt friend not resign the 1st time cause he wanted more money, wanted to be the 3rd most high player at the club. thats asking way to much, if he wants that money go hunting. cause there are others like presto n co that deserve more money i rkn.
new this would happen
hopefully lawton steps up!

DIEHARD
13-01-09, 06:12 PM
Farah re-signs with Wests Tigers

Wests Tigers locked down the services of in-demand hooker Robbie Farah for the next five years on Tuesday before turning their attention to keeping NRL superstar Benji Marshall at the club.

Farah turned down a lucrative offer from Gold Coast to sign a four-year contract extension on Tuesday, believed to be worth around $1.6 million, that will see him remain at the club until the end of 2013.

The Tigers also appointed the 24-year-old as the club's new captain on what chief executive Scott Longmuir described as one of the most important days in the club's history.

Farah had been agonising over the decision for more than a month after meeting Titans officials and touring Skilled Stadium in December.

He said there were many sleepless nights and admitted he had been close to joining the Titans but said he ultimately could not bear to leave his junior club.

"It was a tough decision, the last six weeks has been really tough," said Farah, a Leichhardt Wanderers junior.

"In your own head you change your mind a million times a day.

"But for me in the end my heart made my decision and it was just too hard to leave the club I've played for since I was a kid.

"I'm just glad it's all over now and I can get some sleep."

Farah said the fact the majority of the Tigers' forward pack, including Todd Payten, Chris Heighington and incoming Gareth Ellis, had recently signed long-term deals was a huge factor in wanting to stay.

The club now hopes Farah's decision will have a snowball effect and entice Kiwi superstar Marshall to also re-sign.

Marshall is off contract at the end of 2009 and has been linked with a move to rugby union.

The Tigers expect a decision on the five-eighth's future before the NRL season kicks off in March.

"I think Benji, like Robbie, wants to sort it out soon," Tigers coach Tim Sheens said.

"I think that's probably the next issue with the club.

"All good players staying at a club helps another good player (stay) and I think with Robbie signing that will help others as well.

"It is a snowball effect at times."

Farah has become a vital component of the Tigers' team since making his debut in 2003.

He was a key member of the Tigers premiership-winning outfit of 2005 and narrowly missed out on winning the Dally M medal in 2007, finishing a point behind Johnathan Thurston.

He is favourite to replace Danny Buderus in the NSW No.9 this year.

Farah said getting the chance to succeed Brett Hodgson, now at Huddersfield, as the club's captain was a huge honour but not a clinching factor in his decision to stay.

"It's definitely an honour to be named captain but that's not the only thing that made me stay," Farah said.

"But in saying that it is a big honour for me to run out there leading the boys and I can't wait for the first round to be able to do that."

Source: http://www.NRL.com

Ryan
13-01-09, 06:13 PM
No No No Rysey:dizzy:

Im blaming the Titans management for not having faith in his ability and Pi**ing him off enough to want to look somewhere else,
I wasn't directing that at you.

The Titans turned Friend into a quality 80min player. The amount of improvment Friend had in 2008 over 2007 and his B grade Melbourne days is phenomenal. The development they put into Friend highlights the amount of faith they have in him.
But there were three good hookers on the market and there was a pecking order;
1. Smith
2. Farrah
3. Friend

ozynorts
13-01-09, 07:33 PM
Heard on the news that Farrar had re signed with the tigers and then found this story on the FoxSports.com.au website.

Robbie Farah re-signs with Wests Tigers and is handed captaincy
By Liam Fitzgibbon
January 13, 2009 WESTS Tigers locked down the services of in-demand hooker Robbie Farah for the next five years before turning their attention to keeping NRL superstar Benji Marshall at the club.

Farah turned down a lucrative offer from Gold Coast to sign a four-year contract extension, believed to be worth around $1.6 million, that will see him remain at the club until the end of 2013.

The Tigers also appointed the 24-year-old as the club's new captain on what chief executive Scott Longmuir described as one of the most important days in the club's history.

Farah had been agonising over the decision for more than a month after meeting Titans officials and touring Skilled Stadium in December.

He said there were many sleepless nights and admitted he had been close to joining the Titans but said he ultimately could not bear to leave his junior club.

"It was a tough decision, the last six weeks has been really tough," said Farah, a Leichhardt Wanderers junior.

"In your own head you change your mind a million times a day.

"But for me in the end my heart made my decision and it was just too hard to leave the club I've played for since I was a kid.

"I'm just glad it's all over now and I can get some sleep."

Farah said the fact the majority of the Tigers' forward pack, including Todd Payten, Chris Heighington and incoming Gareth Ellis, had recently signed long-term deals was a huge factor in wanting to stay.

The club now hopes Farah's decision will have a snowball effect and entice Kiwi superstar Marshall to also re-sign.

Marshall is off contract at the end of 2009 and has been linked with a move to rugby union.

The Tigers expect a decision on the five-eighth's future before the NRL season kicks off in March.

"I think Benji, like Robbie, wants to sort it out soon," Tigers coach Tim Sheens said.

"I think that's probably the next issue with the club.

"All good players staying at a club helps another good player (stay) and I think with Robbie signing that will help others as well.

"It is a snowball effect at times."

Farah has become a vital component of the Tigers' team since making his debut in 2003.

He was a key member of the Tigers premiership-winning outfit of 2005 and narrowly missed out on winning the Dally M medal in 2007, finishing a point behind Johnathan Thurston.

He is favourite to replace Danny Buderus in the New South Wales No.9 this year.

Farah said getting the chance to succeed Brett Hodgson, now at Huddersfield, as the club's captain was a huge honour but not a clinching factor in his decision to stay.

"It's definitely an honour to be named captain but that's not the only thing that made me stay," Farah said.

"But in saying that it is a big honour for me to run out there leading the boys and I can't wait for the first round to be able to do that."

AAP

Assassin
13-01-09, 08:42 PM
Well i'll throw another name in the ring in Matt Ballin as he has stated he would like to return to Qld in the future & his defence around the ruck in 08' was 2nd to none , i could see it now Ballin starts the match & Lawton comes off the bench ;)

Thats a very good suggestion he was signed to manly on the cheep, had to fill monahans shoes which was a big ask, now he's won a premiership and is sitting at a club which will be under tremendous cap strain over the next couple years and will have little to no chance of uping his wage.

Well thought out suggestion especially using kayne as impact hooker off the bench.

amaline
13-01-09, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately I think Ballin has resigned with Manly for 3 or 4 years. I couldn't find a more recent article, but this one says it is pretty much a done deal http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/sea-eagles/ballin-set-to-resign/2008/09/20/1221331276310.html and that was in September.

Ryan
13-01-09, 09:48 PM
Heard on the news that Farrar had re signed with the tigers and then found this story on the FoxSports.com.au website.

Did you just wake up? :laugh:

Skip through the last 4 pages dude.......

titanstattman
13-01-09, 11:17 PM
Well looks like they started with friend and now is left with friend maybe the titans should offer him abit more not wat he is asking but but put abit more on the table.....

GCT_89
13-01-09, 11:39 PM
i dont think there will be much of that dougie........at least not till later in the season, or when another club shows interest..........

but i guess we just keep riding the roller coaster.......

RobJ
14-01-09, 12:04 AM
I'd just like to know if Friend ran over Searley's dog or something. Please just re-sign him and fast or we'll be cobbling together a 'stand in'. He has proven himself a quality player over and over.........what's the alternatives?

Steve
14-01-09, 12:11 PM
I'd just like to know if Friend ran over Searley's dog or something. Please just re-sign him and fast or we'll be cobbling together a 'stand in'. He has proven himself a quality player over and over.........what's the alternatives?

He's been offered a contract and refuses to sign. They can't do more than that.

The alternatives have been discussed. Possibly sign Lacey, but it looks like the hopes are being pinned on Lawton.

DIEHARD
15-01-09, 10:08 AM
Titans confident Nathan will still be a friend on the field

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright is confident the bitter rift between his club and rejected No. 9 Nathan Friend won't become a nasty issue during the upcoming NRL season.

Cartwright also insisted Friend's fallout with Gold Coast over a failed contract negotiation beyond 2009 won't affect his selection this season.

With a disgruntled Friend already tentatively linked to St George-Illawarra, the Coast yesterday moved quickly to solve their hooking dilemma after also missing out on star duo Cameron Smith and Robbie Farah.

The club announced teenager Kayne Lawton had penned a two-year contract extension, keeping him a Titan until at least the end of 2011.

Lawton will be given a shot at hooker in Gold Coast's opening pre-season trial, a February 14 tune-up against the Broncos in Wynnum.

But Friend, runner-up to Preston Campbell in last year's Player of the Year awards, will remain the Titans' premier dummy-half.

"I know Friendy will give 110 per cent this year," Cartwright said.

"It won't affect his selection. He is playing for the rest of his career.

"I'm disappointed. I would have liked to keep him."

Friend's manager, Peter Whitehead, denied his client had already struck a "Plan B" deal but confirmed preliminary talks had been held with the Dragons.

Speculation had linked Friend to St George-Illawarra in 2010 under former coach Wayne Bennett, as a successor to veteran rake Luke Priddis.

Whitehead is disappointed Friend has been portrayed as greedy.

"There wasn't much between the money they put on the table and what we were after," Whitehead said.

"It's very disappointing they wouldn't meet us halfway. Nathan was happy at the club.

"Nathan quite rightly asked them, 'am I not even half the player Cameron or Robbie are?' He only wanted a fair and reasonable deal."

It is understood the two-year deal offered to Friend amounted to $190,000 a season, a middle-ground figure given rival NRL clubs contacted by The Courier-Mail valued him between $130,000 and $240,000 a year.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

craigyd
15-01-09, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately,even if Dragons only ofer him $10,000 more than the Titans offer i think he will take it,just to proove a point that he was worth more than what the Titans were offering,it will be a sad day when he signs for another side.

DIEHARD
15-01-09, 10:38 AM
Well I don't think so. the cost of moving and upplanting your family has to be considered as well as the higher cost of living in Sydney. Although I think Bennett would love to have a player like Nathan Friend at the Dragons.

GCT_89
15-01-09, 10:56 AM
wouldnt he just be playing second fiddle to Priddis?

Coaster
15-01-09, 12:48 PM
To me the Titans have handled this completely wrong.

These bully boy tactics Searle seems to be using for negotiations might have a place in a boardroom, but are negative in the players eyes and are having an adverse effect through the whole football club.

To me the Titans are looking at Friend as both a hinderence and excuse for bad coaching. I can see the point they are most likely looking at that is Friend is being targeted in the defensive line and teams are using his enthusiasm as a gateway to Prince and our inexperienced backline. Ware out Friend quickly, and his service from dummy half is non existant, effectively muting Prince in attack.

But Friend has some great attributes that if coached correctly could develope him into a fantastic hooker.

Sign him at 200k a year, and spend another 30k improving his kicking game, and spend the time with him to show him how to hide in the defensive line to cut down his workload.

Friend needs to make no more than 35 tackles and needs to concentrate more on his dummy half runs, and his combination with Prince in attack.

I know it sounds strange but to improve our defence we should think more about our attack, IMO Forwards work better as a pack, and our first contact in a tackle should be a shoulder of a 110kg forward not a 85kg dancer. (dancer meaning- guy sent out of the line to hold the player up and dance with him allowing the rest to wrestle him into the ground).

Assassin
15-01-09, 02:09 PM
wouldnt he just be playing second fiddle to Priddis?

I think priddis is only on a one year deal and due to his age I'd expect this to be his last year before he retires. My hunch is he will indeed go to saint george.

titanstattman
15-01-09, 02:49 PM
To me the Titans have handled this completely wrong.

These bully boy tactics Searle seems to be using for negotiations might have a place in a boardroom, but are negative in the players eyes and are having an adverse effect through the whole football club.

To me the Titans are looking at Friend as both a hinderence and excuse for bad coaching. I can see the point they are most likely looking at that is Friend is being targeted in the defensive line and teams are using his enthusiasm as a gateway to Prince and our inexperienced backline. Ware out Friend quickly, and his service from dummy half is non existant, effectively muting Prince in attack.

But Friend has some great attributes that if coached correctly could develope him into a fantastic hooker.

Sign him at 200k a year, and spend another 30k improving his kicking game, and spend the time with him to show him how to hide in the defensive line to cut down his workload.

Friend needs to make no more than 35 tackles and needs to concentrate more on his dummy half runs, and his combination with Prince in attack.

I know it sounds strange but to improve our defence we should think more about our attack, IMO Forwards work better as a pack, and our first contact in a tackle should be a shoulder of a 110kg forward not a 85kg dancer. (dancer meaning- guy sent out of the line to hold the player up and dance with him allowing the rest to wrestle him into the ground).

Could not argee with u any more u have made a really good point. Iv said since day one that we should work on him to make him a top class player that he could be......All it will take is abit of TLC

Ryan
15-01-09, 03:12 PM
Sign him at 200k a year, and spend another 30k improving his kicking game, .......

Thats good thinking 99 - but wait, they did offer him $200k and he knocked it back..........

Coaster, if you were Titans CEO and you offered Nathan Friend a $200k\2yr contract, to which he rejects and asks for $250k\4yr - what would you do?

Hoppy2007Dragons
15-01-09, 03:35 PM
Coaster, if you were Titans CEO and you offered Nathan Friend a $200k\2yr contract, to which he rejects and asks for $250k\4yr - what would you do?

Offer 225k and free jetstar flights. :)

Coaster
15-01-09, 03:41 PM
My plan had $230 being spent on him, 200k up front and 30k into his development. if that was the case, i would be looking at 4 years.

Whitehead is disappointed Friend has been portrayed as greedy.

"There wasn't much between the money they put on the table and what we were after," Whitehead said.

"It's very disappointing they wouldn't meet us halfway. Nathan was happy at the club.

"Nathan quite rightly asked them, 'am I not even half the player Cameron or Robbie are?' He only wanted a fair and reasonable deal."

It is understood the two-year deal offered to Friend amounted to $190,000 a season, a middle-ground figure given rival NRL clubs contacted by The Courier-Mail valued him between $130,000 and $240,000 a year.

All we need to do is sweeten the pie, with incentive based bonuses. To me Searle is too heavy handed when dealing with these things, i am sure this started with the Turner fiasco, and has dictated his current negotiations, but he isnt exactly signing mega stars.

Steve
15-01-09, 03:59 PM
I'm wondering if the issue is the 4 year thing.

190k is a good deal. To be honest I can't imagine he'd get much more than that anywhere else unless he goes to England or union.

4 years would take Friend right up to retirement. He'd be settled, which is great for a family man. 2 years, he won't be quite ready to retire and may have to uproot.

Problem is, Lawton. he's who the Titans are banking on for the future. If friend is locked in for 4 years he might think it's too long and start looking elsewhere.

Ryan
15-01-09, 04:32 PM

Does that mean one club would offer $130k and another would offer $240k?
Gee, valued anywhere between $130,000 and $240,000 - Thats not much of a discrepancy is it :rolleyes:
Sounds like a load of bs.

mb63
15-01-09, 04:39 PM
The Titans have handles this poorly,best option would have to re-sign Friend but instead they hunted Smith & Farah.Quite rightly Friend becomes disillusioned & now he may go to the Dragons.Despite the shabby treatment I still think Friend's best option is to stay at the Titans.

Assassin
15-01-09, 04:42 PM
I'm wondering if the issue is the 4 year thing.

190k is a good deal. To be honest I can't imagine he'd get much more than that anywhere else unless he goes to England or union.

4 years would take Friend right up to retirement. He'd be settled, which is great for a family man. 2 years, he won't be quite ready to retire and may have to uproot.

Problem is, Lawton. he's who the Titans are banking on for the future. If friend is locked in for 4 years he might think it's too long and start looking elsewhere.

Your probebly right steve, we've all been arguing over the $50,000 difference in asking price but the years probebly also had a huge impact as searle only wants to lock him in for a further 2 years.

I have to agree with Searle I wouldn't lock in a decision on my number 9 for 4 more years, it would basicly guarantee guys like kayne start looking elsewhere when they get NRL ready which will only be a year or two away.

4 year contracts are in my opinion for rep stars or good talent willing to sign for reduced money. I think he's plain old asked for too much.

Coaster
15-01-09, 11:18 PM
The best way to retain is to start winning premerships, you dont waste a guy like Friend that is proven to be a NRL player on a youngster that has potential in a few years, that just does not make sense.

If anything you lock them both in, and trade or deal with other players if you find you have too much talent in one position, which i highly doubt.

Most important positions are the 1, 6, 7 and 9.

I understand chasing Smith, but i dont understand the dismissive attitude towards Friend.

Broncos are a great yard stick in this area, they always have great youngsters to fill key spots because they are a successfull club, and youngsters want to get into that team, and the Titans need to become as successfull as the Broncos, and start winning Grand Finals now, before we start worrying about 2011.

Steve
15-01-09, 11:35 PM
Friend hasn't been dismissed.
The Titans are looking elsewhere now because they've been negotiating with him for 6 months, have offered contracts and he refuses to sign any of them.

Looking at Farrah and Smith when both are on the market is more than understandable. They're the two best hookers in the game.

Okay, so he wants a 4 year contract which takes him to retirement at 32. I can understand why he wants that, and I can also see why the Titans don't.

For me, ideal scenario is Friend stays and Lawton has a few games off the bench in first grade, seeing how he goes and building up to a regular fixture. When Friend retires we have a young, talented hooker with experience to step in. But a 4 year contract? That's into the realms of fantasy.

Coaster
16-01-09, 10:27 AM
Would you not offer him a 3 year contract?

Say 2 years with an option for the third based on performance ect?

craigyd
16-01-09, 12:01 PM
in no disrespect to Friendy,$190,000 a year for 2 years is amazing money for him.it is probably if anything over his worth.If he said i will accept that deal with an option for a 3rd year im sure the Titans and him would have struck a deal.If Titans didnt give him a deal in the first place he would still be playing second fiddle to Smith and playing 3 games a year when Smith is playing origin.
i dont blame the Titans for not offering him his 4 year deal that he asked for,no club would sign someone his age for 4 years unless it was a Smith or a Farah.Friend must realise he is a good first grade NRL player and it will never go further than that.
Its funny that 2 years ago he was offered under $100,000 a year to share hooking duties and he accepted it,now they offer him $100,000 a year more than what he originally signed for and its not enough,remember he is a tackling specialist not a play maker hooker,if that was the case his greed would be warranted.

Tamwelg
16-01-09, 12:37 PM
Friend on hunt for new club

Cameron Leslie | 15th January 2009

TOOWOOMBA rugby league product Nathan Friend has resigned himself to the fact he won't be wearing Gold Coast Titans colours after this season.

Lengthy contract negotiations between Friend and the Titans appeared to have ended this week when the hooker failed to sign a new contract within a 48-hour deadline set by the Gold Coast Club.

It was the latest blow for Friend, who has been forced to watch on as the Titans made plays for Test hooker Cameron Smith and the Wests Tigers rake Robbie Farah.

When it became apparent they had missed out on Farah this week, the Titans set Friend a deadline to sign.

The final nail in the coffin appeared to come on Wednesday, when the Titans signed 19-year-old hooker Kayne Lawton to a two-year contract extension, taking him through until the end of 2011.

Friend told The Chronicle the Titans had ?hardly moved? on the original offer he had rejected and he was now resigned to the fact he would not be at the Gold Coast in 2010.

?I don't think they'll be offering me another proposal,? Friend said.

?They couldn't give me what I was asking for, which wasn't that much at all, so I guess I'm in the search for a new club.

?The offer they made was a minimal increase on the first offer and I've spoken to Cameron Smith and I know I wasn't even asking for half of what they (Titans) had offered him.

?It's disappointing because this will be my third year here and my family is settled, so it leaves a sour taste in your mouth, but that's the world of professional football.

?My opinion is they probably didn't really want to keep me or they would have moved a little bit more on the offer.?

Friend said he was yet to speak with any other clubs and admitted he would head overseas if nothing could be secured in Australia, although it was believed he was already in negotiations with St George Illawarra.

He said he had also spoken to Titans coach John Cartwright to ensure there would be no ill-feeling toward him at the club this season.

?We were always keen to stay at the Gold Coast so they were the only club we had spoken to,? he said.

?We have to put the feelers out now. I spoke to Carty (Cartwright) at the start of the week and told him I will give my all for the Titans this year and I hope they treat me the same.?

www.thechronicle.com.au

Tamwelg
16-01-09, 12:42 PM
It's nice to hear Friendy's side of the story and I have back and continue to back the Titans behind their decisions, but I think that Friendy is right with his comment about the Titans not really wanting his signature. Even when we knew that the Farah deal had fallen, we were only looking at locking in Friend for 2 years. Most likely enough time for Lawton to find his feet in the NRL. Rugby league is a business and I can see and understand both sides to this story.

lonegull
16-01-09, 01:33 PM
thats the thing with this there are always two sides of the coin, i can see that the titans are making a business decision with this, and i think they see lawton as the future,

Steve
16-01-09, 03:08 PM
thats the thing with this there are always two sides of the coin, i can see that the titans are making a business decision with this, and i think they see lawton as the future,

I've no doubt it was a business decision for Friend too. 4 year, 200k a season would have set him up nicely for retirement, no doubt starting a business on the coast or taking a role at the Titans.

It's just a pity they couldn't come to some sort of compromise. The Titans knew what they were willing to pay, Friend knew what sort of deal he wanted, now we just have to hope he doesn't end up getting even less than the Titans were offering.

mb63
16-01-09, 06:17 PM
The Titans have been well run from day 1 but the Nathan Friend situation is one they got badly wrong.He will go on & have a great year & show the Titans what they are losing.

RobJ
16-01-09, 10:22 PM
The Titans have been well run from day 1 but the Nathan Friend situation is one they got badly wrong.He will go on & have a great year & show the Titans what they are losing.

I couldn't agree more on all counts.......

titanstattman
18-01-09, 02:08 PM
I couldn't agree more on all counts.......

Im with u guys i think this will bite us in the ass ten fold......... But i will back all the boys no matter wat....

Ryan
18-01-09, 02:15 PM
Im with u guys i think this will bite us in the ass ten fold......... But i will back all the boys no matter wat....
It is disappointing, but I don't think it's gonna bite us.
Management have put their pennies behind Lawton, I will too.

redwine10
22-01-09, 01:03 PM
The thing that eats at me regarding the Nathan Friend issue is the way that the Titans allowed the Smith and Farrar approaches to be played out in public.
I know that when a number of parties are involved - managers, players, two clubs - it is difficult to keep a lid on things but there appears to be no attempt by Michael Searle to play things quietly in these matters. He was seen on TV driving Farrah around and he has been quick to talk up the proposed recruits at every chance.All it has done is cause people to feel sympathy for Nathan Friend and to join with Friendy in asking "how come I'm worth less than half of what was being offered to Smith?"
We all understand why the Titans were chasing a ball playing, organising hooker but surely this has not been an example of how to conduct negotiations in a professional manner. In reading Friendy's interview in the paper last weekend, I am most concerned that, as professional as he is, we will have a pissed off player in a critical role for the coming season.

GCT_89
22-01-09, 01:09 PM
Friend is smart enough to know that this '09 season is the only chance hes got to make a good buck for seasons to come.........

basically he has to have the best season of a lifetime so that he gets good expensive offers from other clubs.......

being a pissed off hooker and ruining it for your team will only end with him playing second fiddle hooker at another club in 2010..... just as he was at melbourne.........

its the only positive i can get out of this whole ordeal......:thumbsup:

troy f82
07-03-09, 11:27 AM
I can not belive the titans are gunna let this guy go he has been one of the most consistent players at the club his attitude towards the game he obviously loves should be what the titans are all about. Nathan friend deserves at least as much as robbie farah and from what i understand he wasnt even asking for that much, Searly says its about winning a premiership but i dont think he fully understands what he is throwing away, I would say getting rid of friend would be like losing bailey or laffranchi their work rate is just brilliant and would be sorley missed. I also would think you would lose a few fans he is well respected amongst fans of this club. I hope some time this year someone reaises what a mistake has been made here and trys to rectify the sisuation. This club cant be seen just as a buisness we love this club cause its about the fans and the community around it so we need to show loyalty.

Ryan
07-03-09, 11:49 AM
This topic has been around the block and back a few times already.......

http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13681
http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13679
http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13266
http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13636
http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13774

Assassin
07-03-09, 04:30 PM
Should be renamed the Deja Vu thread... cause its the same 2 or 3 points being made in rotation for 12 pages now.... and thats disregarding the other similarly named threads that ran there at different stages.

Here... I'll save us all some time and just list em all in the one post... then someone can make it a sticky and we can move on...

1: I can't beleive the titans have rejected friend! He's awesome!
2: They didn't reject him they actually offered him a contract first
3: but the contract was only worth half what they offered Friend and smith
4: Cause thats how much he's worth in comparison
5: Well how must it make him feel to see the other players offered more money?
6: Well thats footy... if he didn't want to see other negotiations happen he should have accepted his offer before it got to that point
7: Well I recon we've pissed him off now and he may not play his best for us in 09.
8: I recon he'll play even harder cause his playing for his treasured big money contract he's after
9: go back to number 1 and repeat

Ryan
22-03-09, 10:55 AM
Nathan Friend is hopeful of sticking with Gold Coast Titans
Greg Davis
March 22, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25223637-23214,00.html

It appears $20,000 is all that is standing in the way of Nathan Friend re-signing with the Gold Coast Titans.

The tireless rake is off-contract at season's end and while negotiations have all but broken down, the door is "still open" for the 28-year-old to re-sign with the Titans.

Friend rejected a two-year $380,000 deal over the summer and is now considering his options.

While at least two NRL clubs are believed to have expressed interest in the hooker, Friend is hopeful of staying on the tourist strip.

"I can't do much more than just worry about my football. I have to be at my best every week because I'm in a situation where I'm the product and I'm trying to provide something that somebody wants to purchase," Friend said.

"At the end of the day, the contract situation will take care of itself, that's why we have managers, so all I can do is enjoy my footy and keep producing."

Manager Peter Whitehead said "the door hadn't shut at the Titans" for his client. However, he said there was no rush to have Friend sign on the dotted line for any team.

"He knows he is playing for his future, but he gives 100 per cent anyway so it won't change the way he plays his football," Whitehead said.

Titans CEO Michael Searle rejected claims the difference between Friend's asking price and the Titans' best offer was $20,000.

Ryan
22-03-09, 10:56 AM
I hope this story doesn't drag on all season.........

mb63
23-03-09, 04:14 PM
Titans would be best to re-sign Friend & swallow some pride.