PDA

View Full Version : A1 GP on the Gold Coast

DIEHARD
24-11-08, 11:08 PM
I have to say, that I'm excited about the A1GP coming to the Gold Coast.

While I'm a passionate rugby league fan and love things like the Commonwealth and Olympic Games, I'm not the biggest sports fan. And the only other sport I have a passion for is F1 and more recently A1 which I think is a great concept.

I never was much into the Indy but loved having the GC Indy, I thought it was a great event.

But having an A1 GP on the GC means I will for the first time go down for the race and get into it big time. Getting behind Australia might mean a lot more fans go to support the country and of course we got the V8s which are basically the main attraction.

Should be great!

titanstattman
25-11-08, 01:02 AM
I have to say, that I'm excited about the A1GP coming to the Gold Coast.

While I'm a passionate rugby league fan and love things like the Commonwealth and Olympic Games, I'm not the biggest sports fan. And the only other sport I have a passion for is F1 and more recently A1 which I think is a great concept.

I never was much into the Indy but loved having the GC Indy, I thought it was a great event.

But having an A1 GP on the GC means I will for the first time go down for the race and get into it big time. Getting behind Australia might mean a lot more fans go to support the country and of course we got the V8s which are basically the main attraction.

Should be great!

Its still up in the air for the coast as they is $$$ probs for the A1

Nathalie
25-11-08, 10:32 AM
What Is A1GP?

* An entirely new concept in motor racing:
A1GP pits nation against nation in the “World Cup of Motorsport”
* A level playing field:
Drivers from more than 20 nations compete as equals without financial or technological advantage
* Inclusive not exclusive:
Despite its glamorous profile, A1GP is both accessible and affordable to everyone
* Speed and glamour combined:
A1GP offers a series of fast, adrenaline-fuelled weekends set in sensational locations across the world
* High speed action at every turn:
Tight, twisty street circuits and world-famous venues guarantee excitement
* A wider audience:
In addition to the traditional motorsport fan base, A1GP attracts a new audience passionate about their country and heritage
* Interaction with teams & drivers:
Over three days of on-track action A1GP builds a close affinity between fans, teams and drivers
* A new medium for national & international brands:
A1GP offers a unique opportunity for brand exposure on a global scale

Driving skills and national pride celebrated in the ‘World Cup of Motorsport’
A1GP is the first opportunity in any area of motorsport for nations to compete on a level playing field. It is a series where technology and innovation are deliberately equalised, making success dependent on human bravery and pure driving skill. Team and driver combine to create a performance advantage and the winning nation raises its flag in celebration.

A1GP is more than just another motorsport phenomenon; it's an entirely new concept. Pitting driver against driver and country against country for the first time inhistory, A1GP brings together more than 20 nations, representing 80 per cent of the world's population, to compete as equals, without financial or technological advantage.

A1GP has created a new medium for national and international brands and organisations to promote themselves on a global scale. Through the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport, they can join forces with their national teams to become a part of this unique sporting event.

The A1GP World Cup of Motorsport promotes countries and utilises the national patriotism instilled in every person on the planet not only attracting traditional motorsport and sporting fans but exciting anyone who is passionate about their heritage, country and population.

WHAT IS AN A1GP EVENT?
An A1GP event is a fast, exciting, adrenaline-fuelled weekend set in a glamorous and exclusive environment, yet affordable and accessible to all.

With three days of on-track action, an A1GP event offers a rare opportunity for fans to interact with teams and drivers. Exclusively inclusive, A1GP brings the thrill of international motorsport to billions of fans across the globe.

Taking in a mix of established world-famous venues, exciting new state-of-the-art facilities and tight twisty street circuits, A1GP promises to deliver high-speed action at every turn.

RACE WEEKEND FORMAT
Practise Sessions - Friday

Two rookie sessions are held each Friday during race weekends to allow rookie drivers or from developing nations to get to grips with the powerful 600-bhp A1GP Powered by Ferrari cars and challenging race tracks.

Two one-hour general practice sessions are held for all other A1GP drivers one on Friday afternoon and one on Saturday morning.

Qualifying –Saturday

Qualifying takes place on Saturday afternoon across four15-minute sessions, between 14.15 and 15.30.

Each A1GP Team is limited to one ‘flying lap’ per session and at the end of the first two sessions the grid is determined.The teams fastest single lap from either of these first two segments counts towards its Sprint Race grid Slot.

For the Feature the same applieas, but for the last two segments, so, the teams' fastest single lap from segments three and four determines its Feature race grid slot.

Sprint Race and Feature Race – Sunday

The A1GP race weekend consists of two separate races.
Sprint Race
The Sprint Race runs from 11.00 local time on the Sunday morning for a maximum of 24 minutes (plus one lap) with a rolling start. The race contains one mandatory pit stop.

Points are awarded to the top eight finishers as follows.

* First Place – 10 Points
* Second Place – 8 Points
* Third Place – 6 Points
* Fourth Place – 5 Points
* Fith Place – 4 Points
* Sixth Place – 3 Points
* Seventh Place – 2 Points
* Eighth Place – 1 Points

Feature Race
The Feature race is a maximum of 69 minutes (plus one lap) in duration with standing start and two mandatory pit stops. The Feature Race runs from 15.00 to 16.10 local time on the Sunday afternoon. Points are awarded to the top ten finishers for the Feature race as follows:

* First Place – 15 Points
* Second Place – 12 Points
* Third Place – 10 Points
* Fourth Place – 8 Points
* Fith Place – 6 Points
* Sixth Place – 5 Points
* Seventh Place – 4 Points
* Eighth Place – 3 Points
* Ninth Place – 2 Points
* Tenth Place – 1 Points

A bonus point is awarded to the fastest lap achieved by a team during the Sprint Race and Feature Race.

All points are allocated to the winning Nation and there are no driver points. A1GP is a team effort and a team sport. The winner is the driver, team and most importantly the nation.

Teams count their best nine event scores towards the end of season points standings, and not all ten. The teams, therefore, drop their worst weekend, which will be the total of points from the Sprint and Feature races.

DRIVERS

Only drivers who take part in at least one of the three practice sessions can take part in the races. Therefore a maximum of three drivers can take part at a race weekend.

Teams
The nations technical team who work in the pits cannot exceed more than ten people to maintain the level playing field concept across all participating teams.

Source: http://www.a1gp.com/About/WhatIsA1GP.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

----------------------------------------------------------------

That's a fantastic way of doing things. I like how the teams are split into countries - kind of like a World Cup, Olympics etc - and I think people will probably get more behind this whole concept (than Indy) and support their country! :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
25-11-08, 08:08 PM
I love how it's driver's skill v skill. While I love F1, that is something sorely missed.

C-Whiz
25-11-08, 08:51 PM
I agree with you DIEHARD, I think it will give more people a reason to go. The Revhead/Race fans will still go IMO but it gives the average person a team to cheer for.

Great post Nathalie! Bloody hell, and all off the top of your head! Nice one. :p

But again, I love the idea of it all coming down to the better team, as sports should. I just hope it gets the funding and the green light.

Nathalie
26-11-08, 01:28 PM
Great post Nathalie! Bloody hell, and all off the top of your head! Nice one. :p

Yeah... what can I say. LOL

titanstattman
26-11-08, 05:17 PM
A1 is set to be pulled from the coast as $$$ are making it hard i'll get more info and post it up...

dee13
26-11-08, 06:12 PM
I haven't heard anything yet about A1 going ahead.

I have come to love the IRL/Champ cars over the years and have met some very nice people who are with the Indy series, drivers and team crew. Whilst I am devastated that Indy is gone, I am excited about A1. These cars are actually faster than the Indy cars and I have heard should lap around 3-4 seconds quicker. (If they find the cash). The prospects of future F1 drivers stars being here before they hit the big time is another bonus for me. Due to the fact that I am a bit of an autograph collector. Lets hope they get the money together because it will be a great show they put on. You will really see some great support for the various countries involved.

daveyk
26-11-08, 06:53 PM
By Scott Heinrich in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
November 22, 2008

CONFIRMATION this weekend that Surfers Paradise will host A1GP racing for five years from 2009 has been met with high levels of excitement and anticipation within the industry.

Trackside at Sepang ahead of Sunday’s Malaysian A1GP, foxsports.com.au caught up with several leading figures about the event that next October will bring an end to IndyCar’s 18-year association with the Gold Coast.

Tony Teixeira, A1GP chairman:

“It’s spectacular news. I’ve never been, but I’m told the Gold Coast events are huge and I believe the A1GP there can be one of the biggest events of the year in motor sport.

“It wasn’t a question of us going to war with the Indy Racing League. What it does mean to us is that we’re seriously thought of as a contender for a captive event as big as the Gold Coast.

“I’m really proud. We were affordable for the Gold Coast and I think we can bring a different, international dimension to the event. Indy was great but it was very American. We want to show of Australia and the Gold Coast A1GP as a very Australian event.”

Katie Clements, seatholder for A1GP Team Great Britain:

“On behalf of Team GB we are very excited. It is going to be the flagship event of A1GP in terms of having 320,000 people at a single event. It’s going to be very impressive and very exciting.

“From a sponsorship angle we think it’s going to be commercially successful, too. For Team GBR, I foresee it being a very good commercial event. You’re not selling an event that nobody knows about. Everyone knows the Surfers Paradise event, so it’s going to be very successful. It will be great for fans and great for sponsors.”

Jack Cunningham, seatholder for A1GP Team Malaysia:

“It’s great news for Australia and for A1GP, but it’s also very good news for Malaysia. Our main sponsors are Proton Cars and the tourism department of the Malaysian government. Proton are very active in Malaysia and Australia, and tourism and Australian tourists are very important to Malaysia.

“In confirming the Gold Coast, A1GP will have put together one of the motor racing events of the year in 2009 for us. It is really, really wonderful and I cannot wait. I think it is one of the two or three most important things to have happened to A1 in the past four years.”

Alan Jones, seatholder for A1GP Team Australia:

“Over the moon. It’s one of the best venues in the world. No disrespect to the Indy Racing League, but an event on the Gold Coast should showcase the Gold Coast and Queensland and we’re going to be able to do that a lot better.

“The racing will be close. I’m so happy. It’s great for A1GP, for the country and for Team Australia. We need an A1 race in Australia, and this one was top of the list.”

Ann Bradshaw, A1GP’s head of motor sport media:

“The Gold Coast is an event known worldwide. We’ve announced events that have received good local exposure before, but the Gold Coast news went around the world. From a public relations perspective we are very aware that we are going in to something that has a very high profile. So we have to match that.

“Once the chance presented itself, it was a no-brainer to go there. Everything about it sits in with what we’re about. We’ve had some amazing street tracks but everyone says you’ve not seen anything until you go to Surfers Paradise. We’re still a young series, so to have a platform like that is important.

“We simply had to go back to Australia after Eastern Creek. Australia has such a rich motor sport heritage and we’re going to the best venue in the country.”

John Martin, lead driver for A1GP Team Australia:

“As soon as I heard that the Gold Coast race was a definite, I texted just about everybody I know so I reckon it might be half booked out already. It going to be great. It’s good for the series, it’s good for Australia to get the cars there.”

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24691637-23770,00.html?from=ireckon_rss

daveyk
26-11-08, 06:57 PM
November 22, 2008

THE Australian leg of the A1GP circuit has found a new home on the Gold Coast after a five-year deal was finalised between organisers of the Gold Coast 300 and the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport.

The agreement secures the immediate future of the Gold Coast 300 and comes just weeks after the Indy Cars Series was axed.

Eastern Creek in Sydney?s west had been the host of the Australian leg of the A1GP series for three years up until this season when it was dropped from the race schedule.

Queensland Sports Minister Judy Spence said: ?The A1GP motor racing series will join the Gold Coast 300 as a co-headline act alongside the Australian V8 Supercar Series from 2009.?

Next year?s event will hit the streets of Surfers Paradise from October 22 to 25.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24690057-23770,00.html?from=ireckon_rss

Cowboy Titan
26-11-08, 10:49 PM
It's great to see the teams so excited to be coming here and to already hear talk of it being their flagship event.

I'll be there to cheer on Australia.

DIEHARD
27-11-08, 04:07 AM
Hopefully this A1 GP will be a perfect match for the Gold Coast and the A1 organisation. Sounds like we both needed it. I'm actually counting the days until A1GC.

daveyk
27-11-08, 10:00 PM
Hopefully this A1 GP will be a perfect match for the Gold Coast and the A1 organisation. Sounds like we both needed it. I'm actually counting the days until A1GC.

how many days is it please?????

titanstattman
28-11-08, 11:30 AM
LEADING international A1 Grand Prix racing figures are ecstatic that the event has been locked in at Surfers Paradise for five years.

Key racing figures said once they were offered the chance to race at Surfers Paradise, the decision was a `no brainer' and the Gold Coast race would be the flagship event for the A1 Grand Prix.

The Gold Coast 300 will take to the streets of Surfers Paradise on October 22-25, co-headlining the city's premier racing event with the Australian V8 Supercar series from 2009.

Trackside at Sepang for the Malaysian A1GP at the weekend, the industry's major players were delighted to learn the Gold Coast deal had been confirmed, bringing an end to IndyCar's 13-year association with the Gold Coast.

A1GP chairman Tony Teixeira said it was spectacular news.

``I've never been (to Surfers Paradise), but I'm told the Gold Coast events are huge and I believe the A1GP there can be one of the biggest events of the year in motor sport,'' he said.

``It wasn't a question of us going to war with the Indy Racing League. What it does mean to us is that we're seriously thought of as a contender for a captive event as big as the Gold Coast.

``I'm really proud. We were affordable for the Gold Coast and I think we can bring a different, international dimension to the event.

``Indy was great but it was very American. We want to show off Australia and the Gold Coast A1GP as a very Australian event.''

www.goldcoast.com.au

C-Whiz
29-11-08, 12:10 AM
I'm in! Bring on A1!:)

goldcoastitans
04-12-08, 12:02 PM
i cannot wait to watch the A1 here and u know wats even better ...we going to be watching races that count for championship points again :)

BRING ON THE A1