PDA

View Full Version : Sharp option if Hagan cuts Knights

Teegy
26-11-05, 05:53 PM
from SMH.com.au

PETER Sharp has emerged as the early favourite to succeed Michael Hagan as Newcastle coach in the likely event Hagan finishes up at the Knights at the end of next season.

Sharp, who is originally from Maitland, spent a successful period coaching lower-grade teams for the Knights in the early-to-mid 1990s.

The Herald understands there is a positive view about Sharp's coaching ability among some influential members of the Newcastle board of directors.

Newcastle have made no move about a future coach since Hagan will be there next year and wants to coach the Knights beyond that.

But the fact the club - despite Parramatta's well-documented interest in Hagan - has chosen not to extend his contract at this stage obviously casts a big doubt over his future at the club.

Knights chairman Michael Tyler told Hagan at a meeting on Wednesday the club would stick with its plan to review the coaching position midway through next season. Hagan will probably have to decide on his future before the start of next season.

Parramatta, which will not renew existing coach Brian Smith's contract when it runs out at the end of next season, have identified Hagan as their preferred successor. Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald says the club wants to sign a coach for 2007 before the start of next season, which means that unless they change their mind on Hagan he can presumably expect a formal offer soon.

After it became clear Smith would not be at Parramatta beyond next year, Eels assistant coach Sharp said publicly that he would like to be considered for that job when it became available. But it then emerged Parramatta were looking at Hagan.

Sharp is anxious to breathe new life into his first-grade coaching career after it stalled when he finished up as Northern Eagles coach at the end of the 2003 season. He has since been an assistant coach at Melbourne and Parramatta.

A big thing in Sharp's favour when it comes to the Knights is the fact he is good friends with club captain Andrew Johns. If it turns out Hagan does move on it would be likely that Sharp would win support as a candidate from "Joey", who is contracted to the Knights for another two years.

There have been rumours Newcastle officials might ask former Knights coach Malcolm Reilly to return if Hagan goes after next year, but Tyler said yesterday that was unlikely.

"I spoke to Malcolm's son, who lives in Newcastle, and he told me Malcolm was coming out for a visit," Tyler said.

"I'm a friend of Malcolm's and I'm a Malcolm Reilly fan and I'll be catching up with him in the next few days, but I doubt that coaching is on Malcolm's mind these days.

"He's really enjoying life and it's 18 months since he coached. I'd be surprised if he would be interested even if we did approach him."

Meanwhile, Newcastle halfback and superstar Johns underwent minor surgery on his right knee yesterday.

The club's surgical consultant, Neil Halpin, said the arthroscopy went well and it showed there was no damage to the anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction that Johns had last year.

"We shaved a bit of cartilage and cleaned up the back of the kneecap," Halpin said. "Joey will now have some rest and rehab and should be back in full training in about six weeks. He'll be fine for next year."

Teegy
26-11-05, 05:54 PM
iwould love to see sharp get another chance but if i was the knights i would be looking at Royce Simmonds

Cliffy GC
27-11-05, 10:42 AM
god that annoys me

we were bloody manly in 2003.

as for newcastle wanting peter blunt hahahahhahahaha

ive meet sharpy a few times and hes a lovely bloke but hes not a good coach.

2000 and 2001 he had some pretty talented league sides at the merged club and couldnt get the results.

Im kind of greatful, had NE been successful we may not have got manly back.

DeeGan
27-11-05, 11:09 AM
I think Peter Sharp is a good rugby league coach chomping at the bit to get another chance to prove that to the doubters out there - if Hagan leaves, Sharp is a favourite for the role as he would have the backing of Andrew Johns who Sharp has coached before in the lower grades.

There is some good talent available for Newcastle or Parramatta; Daniel Anderson, Peter Sharp, Royce Simmons, Chris Anderson and Shane Flanagan of the Sydney Roosters who is now assistant coach to Ricky Stuart after impressive results in charge of the premiere league side.

DeeGan

Cliffy GC
27-11-05, 12:14 PM
I think Peter Sharp is a good rugby league coach chomping at the bit to get another chance to prove that to the doubters out there - if Hagan leaves, Sharp is a favourite for the role as he would have the backing of Andrew Johns who Sharp has coached before in the lower grades.

There is some good talent available for Newcastle or Parramatta; Daniel Anderson, Peter Sharp, Royce Simmons, Chris Anderson and Shane Flanagan of the Sydney Roosters who is now assistant coach to Ricky Stuart after impressive results in charge of the premiere league side.

DeeGan
hes a good bloke but a poor coach

in the 5 seasons he was at manly/NE the best effort he had was 9th in 2002 which was a super effort however with the talent he had in 2000 and 2001 and the talent he foolishy let go in the formation of the NE proves he doesnt have wat it takes to be a first grade coach.

DeeGan
27-11-05, 12:29 PM
hes a good bloke but a poor coach

in the 5 seasons he was at manly/NE the best effort he had was 9th in 2002 which was a super effort however with the talent he had in 2000 and 2001 and the talent he foolishy let go in the formation of the NE proves he doesnt have wat it takes to be a first grade coach.

That's fine Cliffy GC - I disagree though.

I hope he gets another shot to prove doubters like yourself wrong ;)

DeeGan

ridgey
28-11-05, 09:03 PM
i think you'll find the playing roster at the N.E\manly contributed to sharps lack of results.joey rates him highly as do the knights faithful.

wombat68
28-11-05, 09:25 PM
as long as Rick Stone doesn't get dudded in his first year of NRL, I couldn't give a rats who coaches drugcastle.