PDA

View Full Version : Moore puts hand up for wing spot at Titans

DIEHARD
10-11-08, 12:48 AM
Moore puts hand up for wing spot at Titans

YOUNG Papua New Guinea winger David Moore plans to return to the Gold Coast as soon as possible after tomorrow night's showdown with Australia and kick-start his quest for an NRL spot.

While the Titans are willing to offer Moore a week off after a physically demanding World Cup campaign with the Kumuls, the 20-year-old Lismore product said he couldn't wait to get stuck into pre-season training.

Moore, a standout for the Titans under-20s this year, has been invited to train with the top squad and challenge for a first grade spot.

"I am really keen to get back there," said Moore.

"I don't want to take a week off, but if they make me I will only take a week off max and then get straight back into training."

Have your say on the feedback form below

Australia are unbackable favourites to beat PNG and in turn eliminate them from the World Cup.

Moore has had an impressive tournament, with a strong first-up performance against England and crossing for the Kumuls' only try during a heavy loss to New Zealand on the Gold Coast last Saturday.

Moore faces strong competition to win a Titans wing position with Jordan Atkins, Chris Walker, Ben Jeffery, Esi Tonga, Kevin Gordon, Cameron White, Shannon Walker and Brenton Bowen jostling for just two spots.

"There are probably more than half a dozen guys that are putting themselves in the frame for two wing spots, so it is going to be interesting," said Titans football manager Scott Clark.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said he had been impressed by Moore.

"I think it would be causing some angst among last year's playing group that he has been playing as well as he has," said Searle.

"Some of the players would be looking over their shoulders and that is a good place to be."

Moore will line up against Titans teammate Scott Prince tomorrow night in Townsville. Prince will start from the Kangaroos bench to accommodate for returning halfback Johnathan Thurston.

Titans backrower Anthony Laffranchi has been rested for the encounter.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright, who is also the Australian assistant coach, said having a strong involvement in the World Cup would be good for the Titans.

"I think it definitely helps mingling with the game's best and I think subconsciously you pick things up," said Cartwright.

"Those two blokes (Prince and Laffranchi) are really going to grow another leg after the responsibility they have been given."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

patskE
10-11-08, 01:45 AM
"I don't want to take a week off, but if they make me I will only take a week off max and then get straight back into training."

man thats a great attitude to have
but he does need a break.

Tamwelg
10-11-08, 06:24 AM
I just logged on to start athread complimenting Moore on his constistantly great form throughout the world cup and found this thread had been started. I'm not sure how the other titans went because I didn't get to see much of them. For some reasoni managed to see every PNG game and Moore performed in all of them. The hard part for Carty will be deciding on which of the by talents will be in the side.

titanstattman
10-11-08, 09:24 AM
I just logged on to start athread complimenting Moore on his constistantly great form throughout the world cup and found this thread had been started. I'm not sure how the other titans went because I didn't get to see much of them. For some reasoni managed to see every PNG game and Moore performed in all of them. The hard part for Carty will be deciding on which of the by talents will be in the side.

He played great last night and scotty got a dbl it was great night for the titans

Assassin
10-11-08, 11:11 AM
It's good kids like this that the Titans need to make sure they make decent offers to, not Chris Walker for anouther season. I'd hate to see him walk off to anouther club and hit the big time cause they ran out of cap space for wingers.

titanstattman
10-11-08, 11:20 AM
It's good kids like this that the Titans need to make sure they make decent offers to, not Chris Walker for anouther season. I'd hate to see him walk off to anouther club and hit the big time cause they ran out of cap space for wingers.

I dont wanna turn this in to another walker thread but i just wanna say its been hard for CW cuz he got hurt no1 would be writeing him off so much and saying his past his use by date if he played the last two season and he played great in the last two seasons IMO

goldcoastitans
11-11-08, 11:09 AM
hahahaha everytime Moore went up under that bomb (only lost one really to williams) i held my breath and he would take a superb catch ...and i would be like GET RID OF JEFFERY'S!!!! We have better tallent now ...bring on Moore

and even now after the game im gonna stick with that ...sell jeffery's and give his contract to moore :D

Assassin
11-11-08, 02:09 PM
hahahaha everytime Moore went up under that bomb (only lost one really to williams) i held my breath and he would take a superb catch ...and i would be like GET RID OF JEFFERY'S!!!! We have better tallent now ...bring on Moore

and even now after the game im gonna stick with that ...sell jeffery's and give his contract to moore :D

Hmmmm, maybe my Chris walker bashing is a little too hasty, I'm with you lets just ditch Jeffery's instead. LOL

You've got to put Moore's performance into a context, this wasn't just your average under 20's match or Q-Cup, here's this kid who's used to playing under 20's footy and he's more then held his own against the best oposition Wingers in the word, many times with repeat sets of six on his line. Thats bloody tough! And he deserves full wraps and further investment for the next few years as at his age he's most likely still got a fair bit of improvement to go.

Titanium_BD1103
11-11-08, 09:23 PM
The GC is extremely lucky to have a player for Moore's calibre in their ranks, he's great under the high ball, 100 per cent committed on the toughest stage and has great work ethic as well... will be a star of the future and I'd love to have him at my club... :)

Tamwelg
12-11-08, 08:41 AM
The GC is extremely lucky to have a player for Moore's calibre in their ranks, he's great under the high ball, 100 per cent committed on the toughest stage and has great work ethic as well... will be a star of the future and I'd love to have him at my club... :)

Add to that very fast in open space.

lonegull
12-11-08, 10:09 AM
totally agree with everyones comments on Moore he was a bolter when selected, one thing i liked abou this perfromances was hes confidence he is willing to put his hand up and back himself form what i have seen, going to be good to watch how he develops in the new year with a pre season with the top squad under his belt, cant wait

goldcoastitans
12-11-08, 03:10 PM
and just to add a great wrap to Moore ....he had an IT exam the following day at Griffith Uni after the Aussie Game and still went to that as well! ...lol the kids a freak!

Tamwelg
14-11-08, 09:06 AM
No rush to lock in star rookie, says Searle

Luke Turgeon

November 14th, 2008

GOLD Coast boss Michael Searle says the Titans will not rush to lock boom rookie David Moore into a long-term contract, despite his head turning World Cup campaign for Papua New Guinea.

Touted as one of the `finds of the tournament', Moore has impressed in each of PNG's three pool matches, particularly the Kumuls' final outing against the all-conquering Kangaroos in Townsville last Sunday.

Solid on the ground and sensational under the high ball, Moore mostly had the measure of premiership-winning Manly winger David Williams in the air. It led to calls from commentator Phil Gould for the Titans to lock up the Lismore product or risk having him poached by a rival NRL club.

Moore, a member of the Titans under-20s side this year, is off contract at the end of 2009.

"While I greatly respect Gus (Gould's) opinion, we have a process that we go through and I would like to see David play some first grade first," said Searle. "I think he is more than capable of playing first grade.

"He has done an incredible job in the World Cup but he has basically performed how we thought he would.

"Davey Moore's first focus is not on a new contract, it is about making sure he is in first grade when the season starts. It is about making sure he is focused and he is committed."

While Moore's stunning rise has caught many by surprise, Searle said the young Titan has been ticked as one to watch since noticed by Coast scouts nearly five years ago.

"He has been in our system for a long time," said Searle. "I am sure he will be loyal when it comes to negotiations. It is important he doesn't allow the hype to get to him.

"NRL football is the most competitive football comp in the world. I am not taking anything away from him or his efforts at the World Cup, but it is going to be a big challenge for him. The NRL is not an easy competition to survive in and being durable and committed to it will see success."

Moore will return to Titans training on Monday after being invited to complete the pre-season with the first grade squad.

Fellow under-20s player and Tongan World Cup winger Esi Tonga will return on Wednesday.

Wing is the most competitive position for the Titans in 2009 with Jordan Atkins, Chris Walker, Ben Jeffery, Cameron White, Shannon Walker, Brenton Bowen, Kevin Gordon, Moore and Tonga jostling for just two spots.

www.goldocast.com.au

Tamwelg
14-11-08, 09:08 AM
I think Moore and Gordon are the two really fighting it out for 1 wing spot. Chris Walker will be on the other wing.

Steve
14-11-08, 09:35 AM
If Atkins can find some form again, he'll definitely be in the mix too.
Of the others, I reckon Tonga will take a centre spot, Walker really has to prove himself to get another shot at first grade, White is solid but is that enough to crack first grade? Bowen and Jeffery, they'll both need to do a lot of improving to grab a spot. Well, unless Hoss goes with them because they've been in first grade before.

I really don't think we had a winger last year who really pushed a solid claim to cement a spot. Even being the comp's leading forward try scorer, Boof shouldn't be outscoring our wingers.

Assassin
14-11-08, 10:27 AM
hmmm sounds like management are trying to put a lid on the hype, we all know they are just as excided as we are at his prospects. They just don't want anouther Shannon Walker who gets too far ahead of himself.

Despite the fact they seam to be saying the wing spot will be very competitive and hard to break into in reality its probebly the one spot that is wide open at the moment. This year out of all the centre's and wingers that played I would say the only spot thats probebly a given is Delaneys spot. As far as I can see its wide open for the taking all depending on preseason trial form.

Steve
14-11-08, 10:38 AM
Definitely. The trials are going to be huge for the wingers. If Zillman slots into the second centre position as I think it was Cartwright suggested, the wings will be even more competitive. That said, I think he'll need to perform well in the off season and the trials before getting a spot.

TITAN PETE
14-11-08, 02:40 PM
I think Moore and Gordon are the two really fighting it out for 1 wing spot. Chris Walker will be on the other wing.

Has Tonga gone a walkabout mission too ?

amaline
14-11-08, 03:45 PM

I think he'll get a centre spot.

EDIT: Unless Zillman ends up there.

Tamwelg
14-11-08, 07:14 PM

Oops, I meant to include Tonga as well.

titanstattman
14-11-08, 08:00 PM
hmmm sounds like management are trying to put a lid on the hype, we all know they are just as excided as we are at his prospects. They just don't want anouther Shannon Walker who gets too far ahead of himself.

Despite the fact they seam to be saying the wing spot will be very competitive and hard to break into in reality its probebly the one spot that is wide open at the moment. This year out of all the centre's and wingers that played I would say the only spot thats probebly a given is Delaneys spot. As far as I can see its wide open for the taking all depending on preseason trial form.

In SW defance it was the media that talked up SW alot early than they should of and the way Carty blooded the young guy was aload IMO SW needs to spend alot of time with big guys on how to deal with all the hype.....

Ryan
14-11-08, 09:08 PM
In SW defance it was the media that talked up SW alot early than they should of and the way Carty blooded the young guy was aload IMO SW needs to spend alot of time with big guys on how to deal with all the hype.....
I wouldn't be blaming the media, when you see Shannon imitating an areoplane when scoring a 90m try from a kick return - you tend to think he doesn't mind the spotlight. Boasting a 10.5s\100m bare footed on grass and claiming QLD Cup player of the year wasn't the media's fault either.

I'd like to know how Carty could have done a better job of 'blooding' him. From my memory he came off the bench onto the wing late in the 2nd half - probably the softest way to be introduced to the game. Admitingly he didn't get much ball, but he also butchered an almost certain try when he did.

Last I read of him, he was told by Carty to pull his socks up. I hope he gets it together this year cause I'd love to see him on the field, but he's only 19........ Plenty of time.

titanstattman
14-11-08, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't be blaming the media, when you see Shannon imitating an areoplane when scoring a 90m try from a kick return - you tend to think he doesn't mind the spotlight. Boasting a 10.5s\100m bare footed on grass and claiming QLD Cup player of the year wasn't the media's fault either.

I'd like to know how Carty could have done a better job of 'blooding' him. From my memory he came off the bench onto the wing late in the 2nd half - probably the softest way to be introduced to the game. Admitingly he didn't get much ball, but he also butchered an almost certain try when he did.

Last I read of him, he was told by Carty to pull his socks up. I hope he gets it together this year cause I'd love to see him on the field, but he's only 19........ Plenty of time.

im not saying it was all they fault but here on the coast wen he got named it was a joke not even scotty wen he got named for SOO didnt get as much media's stuff on him...That dosent allways help.. And yes The run he did was abit full of himself..

To me wen he sent SW on with 15mins to go and i think we were 12 down and it just seemed to me IMO that it was like here is ur chance go out there and shows us wat u got and try and win us the game.....

As carty said wen he frist saw him he said he was too coocky and that is sumthing big wat had to change i think prob another year i think he will have it right

Chaos
15-11-08, 10:26 AM
No rush to lock in star rookie, says Searle

Luke Turgeon

November 14th, 2008

GOLD Coast boss Michael Searle says the Titans will not rush to lock boom rookie David Moore into a long-term contract, despite his head turning World Cup campaign for Papua New Guinea.

Wing is the most competitive position for the Titans in 2009 with Jordan Atkins, Chris Walker, Ben Jeffery, Cameron White, Shannon Walker, Brenton Bowen, Kevin Gordon, Moore and Tonga jostling for just two spots.

www.goldocast.com.au

I hope Searle is just playing Moore down to negotiate a contract. Moore aimed up against he best backline in the world and impressed everyone watching.

To win a grandfinal we need to sign the wingers with the best potential available and Tonga and Moore stand out in the above list.
Chris Walker at his peak is a NRL winger (comes off a long spell and we'll be watching with interest)

Atkins is a standard winger
Bowen hasn't impressed me
White and Gordon -never seen play so can't comment
Jeffery and Shannon Walker just aren't NRL wingers, so why include?

MotuMeady
01-12-08, 01:43 AM
Moore, whose name will be changed to Mead in a few days did extremely well in the world cup. He has gained alot of interest from a number or NRL clubs. Great to see such talent coming through the club

patskE
03-12-08, 12:54 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zzf2VxeQ-mI
look at the walker try at 9mins
look at his speed, thats wat we need
goto say around the 4min mark newcastle scored a mad try

Steve
03-12-08, 09:09 AM
Atkins is a standard winger
Bowen hasn't impressed me
White and Gordon -never seen play so can't comment
Jeffery and Shannon Walker just aren't NRL wingers, so why include?

I cringed when I heard we signed Bowen. I think it came down to we needed some immediate depth on the wing and he was available and not too expensive.

Gordon is sensational, probably outshone Moore in the under 20s.

White really came good in the end. Prefers to play fullback but can play anywhere in the back line, is a rock in defence and can find the try line, even if he's not as flashy as Walker, Gordon, Moore and Rapana. Very likely a future first grader based on the fact that unlike most of the flash backs, he can tackle.

I thought Jeffery suffered from some bad service from his centre. They never really got any sort of combination going all year, and whenever he did anything good no one noticed, everyone was looking for reasons to bag him. (reminds me most of the forum and Preston not too long ago)

Tamwelg
03-12-08, 09:19 AM
I thought Jeffery suffered from some bad service from his centre. They never really got any sort of combination going all year, and whenever he did anything good no one noticed, everyone was looking for reasons to bag him. (reminds me most of the forum and Preston not too long ago)

I tend to disagree on this one. Jeffery dug his own grave IMO and will never play first grade again.

amaline
03-12-08, 10:26 AM
I tend to disagree on this one. Jeffery dug his own grave IMO and will never play first grade again.

Yep. Can't really blame all the dropped balls on the centre. He did have his moments, but with the quality of the young guys coming through, it doesn't look good for him.

Assassin
03-12-08, 12:54 PM
truth is he's probebly just an ok winger, put next to a centre like gaznier or hodges and he'd probebly come out of it looking pretty good... put him outside of a centre like o'dwyer and he's gonna look exactly like he did this year. A good centre does make a big difference on how their outside wingers look and that goes for attack and defence.

It takes a dam good winger to shine on their own it really does come down to the service they get and whether their inside man makes the right calls in defence.

Titans Rock
05-12-08, 12:01 AM
is it just me or do lotsa people wanna come to the Titans lately? not that im complaining coz they are all good players!

patskE
05-12-08, 12:44 AM
he went alright one match, but that was vs a 2nd div melb side ahah.
i think bowen n jeffery n dwyer all have had there chance. atkins i rkn will prob get 1st shot on a wing.
just moore and gordan are going keep them out.
hopefully carty learnt from his mistakes n drop's ppl when they need to be and giving someone esle a go

amaline
05-12-08, 10:07 AM
I've heard Atkins really wants a centre spot and he'll get a chance there during the trial games

patskE
05-12-08, 05:04 PM
doubt he get it over zillman and delaney. although he was a centre back in the qld cup. so u never know. we want a guy out wide who can leap. its a big advantage when u can just kick it to the wing, for a guy 1v1 with his opp number and being able to out leap him every time(rapana, atkins)