PDA

View Full Version : Titans Squad Comp

patskE
10-11-08, 12:13 AM
just watching a few videos on titans tv
n has a nice video of the boys playing squash n preseason training n stuff
but they didnt say who won it, only friend was fav.
anyone know lol?

DIEHARD
10-11-08, 12:25 AM
Titans looking to squash opposition

Three days into pre-season training and the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are already doing things a little differently under new strength and conditioning Coach Chris McLellan.

“We assembled for the first time on Monday and it was great to see so many of the squad fit And ready to go at this stage of the season” “ while there is obviously a lot of extremely hard work to be completed in the coming months, I am also well aware that were a long way off from our first trial and so it has been a mindful decision to take training sessions away from the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre as much as possible and we plan to mix things up with squash competitions, some water polo and various other activities which will certainly get the heart rate up, but that don’t involve doing laps of a football field.”

Preparing for their third NRL campaign, the Titans are desperate to take their 2009 season deep into September with last years assistant McLellan… responsible for keeping the Gold Coasts best in shape and on the field.

The premierships newest franchise eager to avoid the injury crisis which at times crippled the club last season.

“I don’t think we need to move too far off the course that we plotted last year in terms of our overall training, I guess the subtle differences will be that I will tailor particular programs to suit an individual players needs, however at the end of the day Rugby League is a sport dominated by those with power and speed and we’ll certainly be working on both of those aspects of the game fairly heavily as we move forward.”

With a number of Titans players including Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi involved in World Cup campaigns…. The full squad won’t assemble until the new year, however for those on deck. including new recruits Sam Tagatese, Matt White and William Zillman… the break is well and truly over.

In a week which has already involved a gruelling testing process. sessions like today’s squash competition have been purposely built into the pre season program… with the man they call Macca looking to keep his charges fresh over what promises to be a long .. hot summer.

“I think today’s squash activity took a lot of the boys by surprised and I don’t think they expected it would be as hard as it actually was. We tested a few heart rates and they were right up there and judging from the sweaty state the players left in, there is no doubt they got a very good work out and as I said, it’s a fitness session disguised in an activity they aren’t familiar with so there was certainly an element of fun to it as well, however it’s very interesting to see the competitive edge come out as soon as they take the court.”

Earlier this week, it was last years NYC graduates who set the pace in the gym and on the field with McLellan confident the mix of youthful eagerness and experienced campaigners will ensure everyone is kept on their toes in 2009.

Titans Hooker Nathan Friend was disappointed with his form on the court, however impressed with the session, saying it’s good for the boys to try their hand at other disciplines, especially a game like squash which demands great hand eye co-ordination.

“It was a good hit out for the boys today and nice to get a tough work out done doing something a little different. I’m certain a few of the boys will be quit sore tomorrow including assistant coach Steve Murphy who was bitterly disappointed when I beat him, he certainly tried hard that’s for sure.”

One of the Titans fittest campaigners Nathan Friend started today’s tournament as the firm favourite… however the pint size hooker struggled early in his campaign. Never really overcoming a first up loss.

Click here to watch footage from todays training session. (http://www.titans.com.au/index.php?page_id=tv)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

http://www.titans.com.au/userfiles/image/Picture%203.jpg

http://www.titans.com.au/userfiles/image/Squash%20Pic.jpg