PDA

View Full Version : Pacific derby compared to Origin

DIEHARD
01-11-08, 01:32 AM
Pacific derby compared to Origin

RUGBY league officials immediately announced they would make Samoa-Tonga an annual event after last night's World Cup epic at CUA Stadium was compared to the birth of State of Origin.

In their first game together, the Nigel Vagana-inspired Samoans eliminated Tonga from pool three and set up a possible semi-final clash with Australia when tries either side of halftime gave them a bruising, thrill-a-minute 20-12 victory.

But enduring image from the night was the large chunk of a vocal 11,787 crowd invading the field at fulltime, with Fox Sports sideline eye Scott Sattler bowled over live on air and Samoa's local hero Tony Puletua chaired from the field in his final game at Penrith.

Despite the fear of violence, there was no evidence of crowd trouble.

"We're going to make it an annual fixture," Rugby League International Federation development officer Tas Baitieri, who warned a Samoan for stepping over halfway during the pre-match wardances, said.

"The idea is that next year Samoa and Tonga play off to be added to the following season's Tri-Nations, making it a Quad-Nations."

The Daily Telegraph can reveal there is a push for the annual tournament to become a Five Nations from 2010, with France and a Pacific qualifier to take part every year.

Samoa captain Nigel Vagana said both countries were ready to play at the top level "for the next 100 years" while second-rower David Solomona reckoned comparisons with the first Origin match in 1980 at Lang Park were not over the top.

"Hopefully it can be like that," he said. "Sixty per cent of the Toyota Cup is Polynesian. If we can get these as annual events, it's only going to make international rugby league better.

"Whoever's in charge of international league, if they came to the game today and you went to Australia-New Zealand, you tell me who's more passionate?"

Samoa looked to have broken their bitter rivals' backs when George Carmont's try made it 20-12 in the 54th minute but the Tongan defence was nothing short of heroic as they repelled attacks.

While Tonga are now out, Ireland can go through if they beat the Samoans by six or more at Parramatta Stadium on Wednesday.

But John Ackland's side are now 80 minutes away from a semi-final appointment with Australia.

SAMOA 20 (G Carmont, F Meli, M Utai, N Vagana tries; B Roberts 2 goals) TONGA 12 (M Jennings, T Leo-Latu tries; T Williams 2 goals). Referee: S Hayne. Crowd: 11,787

http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
01-11-08, 01:35 AM
I'm delighted the RLIF wants to make this an annual event.

But it needs to be with NRL and ESL players.

And they can't be serious about Tonga and Samoa playing off for the Quad Nations, France deserves the 4th position by a country mile. They have a professional team in Les Catalans and Toulouse in National League 1.

The winner of the Pacfic Cup into a 5 Nations would be ideal. But we may not have enough room for that many matchs. Love it if we did.

C-Whiz
01-11-08, 09:12 AM
I'm delighted the RLIF wants to make this an annual event.

But it needs to be with NRL and ESL players.

And they can't be serious about Tonga and Samoa playing off for the Quad Nations, France deserves the 4th position by a country mile. They have a professional team in Les Catalans and Toulouse in National League 1.

The winner of the Pacfic Cup into a 5 Nations would be ideal. But we may not have enough room for that many matchs. Love it if we did.I think you are missing the point Brad. The Samoa/Tonga game is something people want to see and we are interested in watching our Pacific Island brothers be part of it. No one cares about their credibility. It's a game built on passion, and these teams have plenty of that.

As far as the French go, I'd watch QLD cup before I bothered to watch the French run out.

DIEHARD
01-11-08, 12:37 PM
The point is the French have way more players, way more history and an elite team. they have to be way ahead of Tonga and Samoa when it comes to any Quad Nations and it disturbs me that a RLIF official would say such a thing.

And its pretty sad you think so little of France, the team with so much history for exciting and flamboyant rugby, the team that used to come to Australia and attract 60k at the SCG.

C-Whiz
12-11-08, 01:48 PM
The point is the French have way more players, way more history and an elite team. they have to be way ahead of Tonga and Samoa when it comes to any Quad Nations and it disturbs me that a RLIF official would say such a thing.

And its pretty sad you think so little of France, the team with so much history for exciting and flamboyant rugby, the team that used to come to Australia and attract 60k at the SCG.LOL, took me a while to find this reply. But it was worth the wait! I'm still chuckiling! :D

Mate, if you want to watch a stinky, crappy, frog team because they have lots of history, you either have too much money, too much time or too much sentimentality!

I'll stick to watching teams with commitment and enthusiasm that entertain with an exciting brand of football. When the French relive their "glory days" I might turn out to watch them too. But I've got better things to do than sit around talking about how good they used to be. If I wanted to do that I'd be a Souths supporter. ;)

Anyway, I'm a PNG fan now!:salute: