PDA

View Full Version : Esi Tonga: Tongan flyer chasing Origin jumper

Boofhead
31-10-08, 12:10 AM
Tongan flyer chasing Origin jumper
By Steve Ricketts

October 30, 2008

TONGAN World Cup winger Esi Tonga has revealed his burning desire to follow in the footsteps of older brother Willie by playing State of Origin for Queensland.

Esi said he was overwhelmed by the experience of making his international debut against Ireland at Parramatta on Monday night when he scored the match-winning try in Tonga's 22-20 win.

The 20-year-old Gold Coast Titans flyer remembers turning up for Willie's first training session for Queensland at Langlands Park in 2004 and being inspired by the experience.

"I was a student at Marsden High and Willie had flown up from Sydney the night before as a late replacement for Brent Tate," Tonga said.

"I was so happy for him.

"I would love to play for Queensland if the chance ever came up.

"It's a goal of mine but I haven't thought much about it so early in my career."

Tonga made his NRL debut for the Titans this year and played six matches in the top grade while spending the rest of the season in the under-20s.

He first played league in the juniors at Cootamundra in New South Wales but the family moved to Queensland and he played for Cherbourg and then Logan Brothers where a teammate was current Australian centre Israel Folau.

Esi has Tongan and Aboriginal heritage and under International Federation rules can put up his hand for Queensland and Australia once the World Cup is over.

In the 2000 World Cup, forwards Willie Mason and Brent Kite represented Tonga before they had played Origin for NSW.

Tonga failed to advance beyond the pool stage in 2000 but a win over Samoa at Penrith tomorrow would put them in a strong position for a semi-final berth against Australia.

"Samoa will be tough but the match against Ireland also was very physical," Esi said.

"I was overwhelmed by the experience and it was exciting to get out there. Willie phoned me and told me to do my best and do everything for your family."

Willie will play for North Queensland next year after five seasons with the Bulldogs, with Tongan performance co-ordinator Billy Johnstone returning to Townsville from the Gold Coast as the Cowboys fitness chief.

Tonga coach Jim Dymock said his team could not afford a repeat of its ill-disciplined display against Ireland.

"Samoa is a quality side and if we keep turning the ball over and giving penalties away I'm sure they'll touch us up," he said.

Dymock said five-eighth Feliti Mateo was the team's "go to man".

"The more times he can get his hands on the ball the better we will perform," he said.

Courier Mail