PDA

View Full Version : Titans Squad/Signings 2009

kwigibo
20-01-09, 12:51 PM
I think the real positive thing you can draw from the line up is that the titans have really solidified their forward pack right from 8 to 13. THere's clear cut standout players for each position in that section which is great to see.

As long as they stay fit.

Tamwelg
22-01-09, 04:01 PM
Here's mine:

1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Brett Delaney
4. Matt Rogers
5. Chris Walker
6. Will Zillman
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Matt White
15. Will Matthews
16. Daniel Conn
17. Kayne Lawton

karnage
22-01-09, 11:12 PM
I am looking for any information that anybody can give me about the new signing from the Knights - Matt White.

Did he play in the winning team against us at the end of last season??

Did he play much 1st Grade last year??

Size?? Speed?? Ball playing ability??

Can he hit??

We were really shown up with our lack of depth with the big boppers in each of our last 2 campaigns. When Cannings, Bailey and Hendo were all out at the same time last year we had nothing up front. Hoping that he can give us some much needed depth in this vital area and hopefully fill a role as somebody who can put a hit on.

Brisvegas Knight
23-01-09, 02:09 PM
I am looking for any information that anybody can give me about the new signing from the Knights - Matt White.

Did he play in the winning team against us at the end of last season??

Did he play much 1st Grade last year??

Size?? Speed?? Ball playing ability??

Can he hit??

We were really shown up with our lack of depth with the big boppers in each of our last 2 campaigns. When Cannings, Bailey and Hendo were all out at the same time last year we had nothing up front. Hoping that he can give us some much needed depth in this vital area and hopefully fill a role as somebody who can put a hit on.

You guys picked up a great buy, most Newcastle fans wanted to keep him.

He is a big hard working forward with plenty of heart. He didn't play a lot at the start of last year but played out the end of season and was sensational.

He played against the titans at the end of last year, in fact after the game I saw one of the Titans trainers congratulating him on a good game and having a bit of a chat with him after the game.

Overall he can definately fill a hole as someone that can put a hit on as he did an awesome job for us last year doing exactly that. And we get rid of him and now have a lack of good forwards. But what is our loss is your gain!

TITAN PETE
23-01-09, 03:25 PM
Here's mine:

1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Brett Delaney
4. Matt Rogers
5. Chris Walker
6. Will Zillman
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Matt White
15. Will Matthews
16. Daniel Conn
17. Kayne Lawton

That would be my side too Tam but i would have to squeeze Cannings (The Truck) in there somehwere :fist:

Boofhead
24-01-09, 06:03 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Kevin Gordon/Jordan Atkins
3. Brett Delaney
4. Will Zillman
5. Chris Walker
6. Matt Rogers
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Matt White
15. Aaron Cannings
16. Daniel Conn
17. Kayne Lawton

Supergoose
25-01-09, 01:56 PM
1. Preston Campbell
2. Shannon Walker
3. Brett Delaney
4. Will Zillman
5. Chris Walker
6. Mat Rogers
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Sam Tagataese
15. Aaron Canning
16. Will Matthews
17. Daniel Conn

I realy think we need to go with Shannon Walker and live through 4 or 5 games until his confidence is up. We have a stack of utility value all-over the park and could easily cover injuries in most positions with minor reshuffling. No need to carry a utility in my opinion as Preston will cover 6, 7 or 9 for short periods with no worry and Zillman can slot into fullback with any number of the forwards slotting into the centres. I may be short a prop but Laffranchi can fill in their for periods in a game.

karnage
26-01-09, 09:33 AM
Thanks Brisvegas Knight.

I have a handle on our other signings but was (am) still in the dark when it comes to this guy. I knew I had heard the name but I just feel unfamiliar with him - it definitely bodes well if the fans of his last club wanted to keep him, that says plenty.

A lot of these teams that people are posting lack Cannings. He would be in my team for sure. It took him a while to hit his straps last year but before he was injured in the Souths debacle he was showing a real willingness to roll up the sleeves and do some of the hard work up the centre. We real felt his loss, mainly becuase he was one of the few guys we have who actually carries a lot of size.

He would be on my bench for certain!!

patskE
29-01-09, 11:22 AM
just reading delaney n conn both unsigned for 2010
sign em up boys!

Tamwelg
29-01-09, 12:16 PM
Heard from a little birdie that the Titans are in talks with Nate Myles about signing for 2010.

kwigibo
29-01-09, 01:02 PM
Heard from a little birdie that the Titans are in talks with Nate Myles about signing for 2010.

If they can teach him to keep his arms down, that'd be a great signing.

Assassin
29-01-09, 01:54 PM
If they can teach him to keep his arms down, that'd be a great signing.

I will be very jelous if you guys get Nate Myles he's a very good forward and with petro and pricey getting older you'll be seeing him wear maroon a lot more in the next couple years as well.

Still who's the rumour coming from I've seen nothing in the press??

Tamwelg
29-01-09, 02:11 PM
Still who's the rumour coming from I've seen nothing in the press??

That's why it's only a rumour ;)

GCT_89
29-01-09, 02:46 PM
That's why it's only a rumour ;)

yea, and once it comes from the press, its 100% actual fact.......lol:doh:

amaline
29-01-09, 03:01 PM

It would make sense. He'd be a really good signing. Hope it's true.

espltd301
29-01-09, 05:48 PM
Hope its not just a rumour. That would be awesome. BRING HOME MORE QUEENSLANDERS!!!

amaline
30-01-09, 04:34 PM
There was a rumour posted on the League Unlimited forum that Myles asked for a release to play for us this year, but was denied. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

psmitty
15-05-09, 02:24 PM
Titans head queue for Smith

Published Date:
13 May 2009
By Tony Dewhurst

Gold Coast Titans are eyeing a move for Wigan's stand-off Tim Smith, who is
expected to return Down Under at the end of the season.
Smith arrived at the JJB Stadium midway through last year determined to resurrect his career after going into rehab and being diagnosed with the manic depressive illness bipolar disorder.

Now sources in Australia claim Gold Coast Titans are favourites to land the 24-year-old, who was released by Parramatta Eels a year ago.

Smith has caught the eye with some impressive performances for Wigan this term, but he looks certain to resume his NRL career when his current deal expires in October.

Win Warriors v Hull KR tickets! Click here ...

Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan confirmed he had spoken to Smith's agent David Riolo, who is also fielding interest from Penrith Panthers and Melbourne Storm.

Lenagan said: "Tim is playing very well right now and he has shown some good form, but the plan is for him to return to Australia later this year.

"That was always the agreement, to come to Wigan for a year-and-a-half, because he came to England to try to get his career back on track.

"He is a player of outstanding talent and I suppose there is a slight possibility things could change if Tim changes his mind, but there was no indication of that when I spoke to David Riolo a couple of weeks ago.

"Tim's a surf and sun boy and it looks pretty certain he will be going back to Australia."

But youngster Sam Tomkins has shown himself to be a long-term successor to the No.6 slot, with the 20-year-old producing some highly promising performances.

Lenagan added: "There are many encouraging signs, not least the form shown by youngsters Sam Tomkins and Shaun Ainscough.
"We were determined to give them a chance and we have."

Last night, Tomkins was cleared to play against Hull KR at the JJB on Friday after avoiding suspension.

The 20-year-old was found guilty at the RFL's disciplinary committee of kicking out in the tackle during the Challenge Cup win at Wakefield and was fined ?300, but it was decided not to impose a ban.

Wigan face a stern test against second-placed Hull KR, but Noble's men have won their last four games and victory should fire them into the top half of Super League.
Noble said: "At last we are building a good momentum and that's very important."
The Challenge Cup quarter-final tie against Salford at the JJB Stadium will be played on Friday, May 29 (8pm).

The full article contains 442 words and appears in Wigan Evening Post newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

* Last Updated: 13 May 2009 10:58 AM
* Source: Wigan Evening Post www.wigantoday.net/

psmitty
15-05-09, 02:29 PM
Smith set for NRL return
13 May 2009 | James Gordon

Wigan half-back Tim Smith is set to return to Australia at the end of the season, with Gold Coast Titans leading the chase to sign him.

Smith, 24, was released by Parramatta last year, and moved to the JJB Stadium midway through the season looking to resurrect his career after a spell in rehab.

His Wigan contract is up at the end of the year, and Gold Coast, along with Penrith and Melbourne, have expressed an interest.

Wigan Chairman Ian Lenagan said: "Tim is playing very well right now and he has shown some good form, but the plan is for him to return to Australia later this year.

"That was always the agreement, to come to Wigan for a year-and-a-half, because he came to England to try to get his career back on track.

"He is a player of outstanding talent and I suppose there is a slight possibility things could change if Tim changes his mind, but there was no indication of that when I spoke to David Riolo a couple of weeks ago.

"Tim's a surf and sun boy and it looks pretty certain he will be going back to Australia."

Meanwhile, Warriors young star Sam Tomkins has been cleared to play against Hull KR this weekend after escaping a ban for kicking out at former Wigan forward Danny Sculthorpe in Saturday's Challenge Cup win over Wakefield. Tomkins was handed a ?300 fine.

lasttackle.com

Tamwelg
15-05-09, 02:49 PM
Tim Smith has always been more of a 5/8 IMO and would do really well along side Prince. He has been playing well for Wigan at 5/8 and picked up a few man of the match awards in the last few weeks.

Steve
15-05-09, 03:04 PM
Tim Smith has always been more of a 5/8 IMO and would do really well along side Prince. He has been playing well for Wigan at 5/8 and picked up a few man of the match awards in the last few weeks.

How many 5/8's do we need?

Sure, Campbell and Rogers will likely retire in the coming years, but then there's Zillman and Rankin already waiting.

TITAN PETE
15-05-09, 03:07 PM
Didn't see this coming ... i will reserve judgment untill of if he comes here :?)

patskE
15-05-09, 05:45 PM
just read that campbell is in talks for a 2010 contract.

Coaster
15-05-09, 06:09 PM
Timmy is a gold coast boy, played for Runaway bay with my brother for years.

Good kid too, his old man is a nice bloke also, had a chat to him just last week about Tim.

I hope we can find a spot for him somewhere.

Coaster
15-05-09, 06:10 PM
How many 5/8's do we need?

Sure, Campbell and Rogers will likely retire in the coming years, but then there's Zillman and Rankin already waiting.

Zillman is a fullback, not a 5/8. You need to be able to or at least try and tackle to be a 5/8

DIEHARD
11-06-09, 02:17 PM
Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle said the Titans had focused on securing stars Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Nathan Friend and Mark Minichiello well before their contracts expired.

"We've wrapped up most of our players before they were eligible to talk to other clubs and I think most clubs are trying to do the same," Searle said. "The competition is really close and I think clubs are using the under-20s as a platform to the NRL rather than recruiting from outside, because you know what you're getting and you usually get a couple of years to look at them coming through."

Source: LeagueHQ (http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/the-skids-under-the-economy-mean-the-brakes-go-on-player-transfers/2009/06/09/1244313137461.html)

Chaos
02-08-09, 02:27 PM
"The competition is really close and I think clubs are using the under-20s as a platform to the NRL rather than recruiting from outside, because you know what you're getting and you usually get a couple of years to look at them coming through."

Source: LeagueHQ (http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/the-skids-under-the-economy-mean-the-brakes-go-on-player-transfers/2009/06/09/1244313137461.html)

That's why sides can't win with injuries these days...the gap between an under 20yo and a player at his peak is too great.
Broncos can't win a game around Origin without a reserve grade side.

The Nrl comp will end up with all wingers...no experienced props and no smart halves with this structure.

DIEHARD
02-08-09, 02:36 PM
That is one thing our game has to do, sort out the aged player competitions.

The Broncos would be better off digging into their Queensland Cup stocks then blooding too many youngsters from the Toyota Cup.