PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos Name For 1st Rookies

TITAN PETE
22-10-08, 11:47 AM
Kangaroos name four uncapped players
AAP
Four uncapped players have been named in the Australian team to play New Zealand in Sunday's Rugby League World Cup blockbuster at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Canberra's Joel Monaghan, Gold Coast's Anthony Laffranchi and Manly forwards Glenn Stewart and Josh Perry will all make their international debuts in the opening match of the Kangaroos' title defence.

Stewart and Laffranchi will form an uncapped backrow, Monaghan will play on the wing rather than his customary position at centre and Perry will start on the bench.

Manly's premiership-winning pair Anthony Watmough and David Williams were among the Australian squad members to miss selection.

Australia: Billy Slater, Joel Monaghan, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Brent Tate, Darren Lockyer (capt), Jonathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Brent Kite, Josh Perry, Anthony Tupou, Kurt Gidley.

TITAN PETE
22-10-08, 11:48 AM
Well done to Boof & Stewart who were the best 2 backrowers all through 2008 :D

(Oops can't spell Four)

Steve
22-10-08, 01:08 PM
That's a great team, although I would have gone with Prince in the 7.
Not just because he's a Titan, but he was in much better form all year than Thurston.

DIEHARD
22-10-08, 04:53 PM
I agree with both you guys.

It's a great team that will be hard to be beaten.

I totally agree that Scott should be first choice half back. Because he is the best half on form.

Stuart is likely to give Scott a go though. That's my hope at least.

Steve
22-10-08, 04:56 PM
Bit dubious about Tate too.
I'd like a winger who makes his metres downfield, not across.