PDA

View Full Version : World Cup hangs on Kiwi opener

DIEHARD
22-10-08, 12:27 AM
World Cup hangs on Kiwi opener

NEW Zealand captain Nathan Cayless has described the opening match of the World Cup against Australia on Sunday as a test of credibility for the tournament.

With critics sceptical over the legitimacy of the event, Cayless knows a strong showing from the Kiwis at the Sydney Football Stadium will get the five-week competition off to the best possible start.

"I suppose it's a big test of credibility for us and for the tournament," Cayless said.

"A good game of footy would be good for the tournament. It would get the interest right up there.

"That's our goal as players and I'm sure the Australians are thinking that way as well. They want to play their best footy and we want to play our best footy.

"Hopefully that brings about a good match for the fans to watch."

New Zealand will be hoping for a more competitive performance than the effort it produced against Australia in May's Centenary Test at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Touted as a chance to knock the Kangaroos off their international perch, the Kiwis were out of the game by half-time. They rallied in the second half but Australia held on for a comfortable 28-12 win.

"We shot ourselves in the foot too many times and made too many errors coming out of our half, and a number of defensive lapses really hurt us," Cayless said.

"We've addressed that game and spoke about it and watched the video. We've worked on some key areas that we need to improve."

The competitiveness of rugby league heavyweights New Zealand and England isn't the only concern for World Cup organisers. With seven other teams from developing nations, there are fears the gulf between the top and bottom countries is too great.

Tonga, which along with Samoa is regarded as a genuine chance to reach the semi-final stage, did little to ease those concerns when it was smashed 56-8 by the Kiwis in a warm-up match in Auckland on Saturday night.

Tongan captain Lopini Paea, who warned his side would improve, was so impressed with New Zealand he predicted the Kiwis would topple Australia on Sunday.

A New Zealand victory would send tremors through the tournament as it would leave the Kiwis favourites to win Pool A. That could result in Australia being pitched into a semi-final against England.

"Regardless of how terrible our defence was, you can't take anything away from New Zealand," Paea said.

"That's probably the most organised and gelled New Zealand team I have seen in a while. Benji (Marshall) and Thomas Leuluai took the reins.

"They're really gelling together as a team. It was pretty impressive.

"The Kiwis, if they can get their passion and keep their organisation together, that's a really powerful combo.

"I'm tipping New Zealand."

While he believes New Zealand is primed to defeat Australia on the World Cup's opening weekend, Paea was reticent to predict the Kiwis would win the tournament.

"I'm tipping them for this game. I don't know about the whole thing," Paea said.

Paea's preference for New Zealand was given weight by Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer, who suggested his side would be short of its best on Sunday.

The Kangaroos will take a re-worked backline into the tournament given the absence of Mark Gasnier, Greg Bird and Justin Hodges.

"We haven't played together for a while," Lockyer said.

"We are going to be a bit rusty. We want to set a precedent with our performance.

"I can't see us having a polished performance this week, because it's going to be our first game together.

"I think the key for us is we want to go out there and play tough."

Meanwhile, Manly forward Glenn Stewart is expected to be rewarded for his outstanding end-of-season form by being named to make his Test debut in Sunday's match.

Stewart's Sea Eagles teammate David Williams is also closing in on a maiden appearance for his country after making a big impression in recent days.

There are several spots available with forwards Ryan Hoffman, Michael Crocker, Willie Mason and Carl Webb all missing from the team that played in May.

Stewart is in contention for a spot alongside Sea Eagles teammate Anthony Watmough, the Gold Coast's Anthony Laffranchi, Cronulla's Paul Gallen and Sydney Roosters' Craig Fitzgibbon and Anthony Tupou.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au