PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Final: Australia vs New Zealand

DIEHARD
18-10-08, 12:51 PM
AUSTRALIA vs NEW ZEALAND

World Cup Final

Saturday 22 November 2008 - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Tickets: http://www.ticketek.com.au (Some tickets remaining! Get them Titans fans!)

TV: LIVE on Channel 9

6:30pm Queensland

7:30pm NSW

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/pumba258910/wcb/australia.gif

1. Billy Slater
2. Joel Monaghan
3. Greg Inglis
4. Israel Folau
5. Brent Tate
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. Steve Price
11. Glenn Stewart
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:
14. Karmichael Hunt
15. Craig Fitzgibbon
16. Anthony Tupou
17. Brent Kite

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/pumba258910/wcb/nz.gif

1 Lance Hohaia (Vodafone Warriors)
2 Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters)
3 Simon Mannering (Vodafone Warriors)
4 Jerome Ropati (Vodafone Warriors)
5 Manu Vatuvei (Vodafone Warriors)
6 Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
7 Nathan Fien (Vodafone Warriors)
8 Nathan Cayless (c) (Parramatta)
9 Thomas Leuluai (Wigan)
10 Adam Blair (Melbourne)
11 David Fa'alogo (South Sydney)
12 Bronson Harrison (South Sydney)
13 Jeremy Smith (Melbourne)

Interchange:
14 Issac Luke (South Sydney)
15 Greg Eastwood (Brisbane)
16 Sam Rapira (Vodafone Warriors)
17 Sika Manu (Melbourne)

Coach: Stephen Kearney

DIEHARD
17-11-08, 05:56 PM
There are some tickets still left on http://www.Ticketek.com.au

For any rugby league fans out there wanting to attend this historic match, jump on the site now and pick up some of a very few tickets left!

Can we do a roll call of who is going? It'd be cool to arrange a meet up before hand.

I'm going with my brother, a Storm fan. But I'll definitely try and get him to some Titans games. :D

DIEHARD
17-11-08, 06:19 PM
Steve Matai has been ruled out for the Kiwis with a neck injury. He is set for surgery after the Final.

GCT_89
17-11-08, 07:21 PM
yea im definatley there......int the eastern stands somewhere up high......lol

CANT WAIT!!!!

C-Whiz
17-11-08, 10:05 PM
I'm going with my brother, a Storm fan. And you still refer to him as your brother? ;)

I'll be there with my kids.

Hoppy2007Dragons
18-11-08, 09:59 AM
I'll be there, hopefully nz will put up a fight cause i payed good money for my seat.

TITAN PETE
18-11-08, 04:40 PM
I'll be there with my son as we were for the past 3 WC games played at Suncorp & Skilled & i can't wait to watch possibly the Best ever Kangaroo team belt the "Sheep out of the Kiwi's" ;)

hicksey
18-11-08, 05:32 PM
damn i wish i could of got tickets for the finals

DIEHARD
18-11-08, 06:04 PM
damn i wish i could of got tickets for the finals

There are still some on ticketek! Go go go! :D

DIEHARD
18-11-08, 06:17 PM
Wayne means World to us: Benji

NEW ZEALAND talisman Benji Marshall says Wayne Bennett has helped spark his charmed run to the World Cup final.

Dismissing calls from Matthew Ridge for Bennett to be replaced as New Zealand's assistant coach after the Cup decider, Marshall yesterday told the Herald how his initial fears about working with Bennett had been erased and he now fully understood why the famed mentor had forged such a successful career at NRL, Origin and Test level.

"When I came into camp, I was a little bit scared about what to expect from him," Marshall said after the Kiwis' 32-22 win over England in the semi-final at Lang Park on Saturday night.

"I'd heard all these rumours that he was a bit harsh and doesn't speak much. But being in camp with him, he's had such a big influence on the team and me. He's great. I can see why he's done what he has.

"People get him wrong. He's just a normal person. He cracks jokes. I don't think a lot of people know what he's really like. Me and him get on like a house on fire. We joke around, but when the time comes to get serious, that's when he turns into the serious bloke. I'd never really met him before, but the way he gets perceived in the media made me think he was going to be this hard and angry man. He's nothing like that."

Ridge, the former NZ captain, wants Bennett to be removed as the Kiwis' assistant to let head coach Stephen Kearney "stand on his own two feet" and hire New Zealander Tony Iro as his right-hand man. But Marshall, who said the prospect of a World Cup final had him buzzing as much as the 2005 NRL grand final he won with Wests Tigers, was adamant Bennett should be retained next season.

"Steve and Wayne are a great combination for us," Marshall said. "Wayne has been around for a long time, Steve is up and coming, so it's the perfect mix - the old with the new. They both have their input. I've learned a lot off Wayne. Just to get a different coach's perspective - I've only had 'Sheensy' [Tigers coach Tim Sheens] all my life, so it's been good to mix it up. Wayne has brought a lot to the Kiwi jersey: professionalism, respect, everyone really respects him around the joint. He's just like one of the boys now so hopefully he sticks around for a few more years."

Marshall and the Kiwis were muted after scraping past England. It was an entertaining but scrappy game, and Marshall admitted a repeat effort would result in a pummelling from Australia should the defending champions progress to the decider at Lang Park on Saturday night. "It would mean everything to win a World Cup," Marshall said. "I've had a few ups and downs in my career ? It would be enormous for my confidence if we get up.

"We can't afford to drop as much ball as we did against England. It was disappointing the way we played but, at the same time, we're in the final of the World Cup, so whatever happened in the past doesn't matter any more. We've just got to look to the future."

Nathan Cayless's message to his players this week is "No Regrets." The New Zealand captain plans to drum into his squad that making the final isn't enough. "It's one thing that we're in the final, but we're going to have to play a hell of a lot better," he said.

Marshall agrees, saying the Kiwis have reached the decider while travelling at "half-rat power" - but the mercurial five-eighth is optimistic about the chances of his side pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

"We still haven't put a full game together, or even just a full half," Marshall said. "If we can play like we did the first 30 minutes against England, we can go a long way towards winning. We have to minimise errors and stop putting pressure on ourselves. We have to put pressure on the other team. I just have to get myself up for next week.

"We've got it in us. The first 30 minutes, we showed how we can play when we stick to our game plan. We went away from that and it cost us. But if we can just put one full game together, we could be dangerous. It's always been a dream of mine to be in a position like this. I'm representing my country, and my family, in a World Cup final. I want to do them proud. It's a very big deal for me."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/

DIEHARD
18-11-08, 06:18 PM
Numbers add up for Monaghan's selection

If numbers are anything to go by, Canberra Raiders star Joel Monaghan is a certainty to live out a dream this week.

Monaghan has played in all four of the Kangaroos' World Cup matches, and statistics released yesterday show he should be one of the first picked for Saturday's final.

Monaghan has made the second most linebreaks behind Fiji's Akuila Uate (10) with six, his four tries have him fifth on the try scoring list and he only trails teammate Paul Gallen (9) in offloads with eight.

The Kangaroos defeated Fiji 52-0 on Sunday night, and while Monaghan is the first to admit it was his quietest game of the tournament, he is still confident of playing in the final against New Zealand on Saturday at Lang Park.

''When you go into the competition thinking you're not going to play a game, now [playing in the final] is definitely something I want to do,'' Monaghan told The Canberra Times. ''I think after the first three games I gave myself the opportunity to play in the rest.

''I'm a chance to hold my spot but I think we might be short a winger anyway. Brent Tate looks gone which is unlucky, but it hopefully means I get the start.''

Tate is in doubt for the final after he injured his hip against Fiji.

Monaghan spoke to Australian coach Ricky Stuart prior to the Fiji match, and was pleased with the feedback he received.

''We talked about the first few games of the World Cup, and he thought I had gone well, so fingers crossed I should be sweet.''

Fellow Raider Terry Campese flew to Brisbane with the Australian squad yesterday after staying indoors last week with an eye injury. Campese sustained a bruised retina and blood clot in his right eye against Papua New Guinea.

He will resume light training this week, but is no chance of playing on Saturday.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

DIEHARD
18-11-08, 06:26 PM
Klein to control World Cup final

Australian-born Englishman Ashley Klein has been appointed to referee the rugby league World Cup final between Australia and New Zealand in Brisbane on Saturday.

Klein controlled this year's Super League grand final and has also refereed Challenge Cup and Tri-Nations deciders.

Australian Steve Chiddy and England's James Child will act as touch judges with England's Steve Ganson the video referee for the match at Suncorp Stadium.

"The policy throughout the tournament has been to appoint on the basis of merit in the first instance but to opt for neutral referees where there were two candidates of similar standing," said Michael Stone, the chairman of the World Cup Referees' Appointments Board.

"Ashley has been one of the form referees of a tournament that has brought together officials from a number of countries."

http://www.stuff.co.nz

hicksey
18-11-08, 06:32 PM
in the nose bleed sections lol

Paul
18-11-08, 06:33 PM
Hardly seems fair to the kiwis have an aussie born ref and an aussie touchie in a world cup final.They already have 17 aussies they can't handle up against them

DIEHARD
18-11-08, 06:34 PM
in the nose bleed sections lol

Yea but all seats at Lang Park are good and it's the Final. Oh well never mind.

DIEHARD
18-11-08, 06:43 PM
Williams on standby for injured Tate

AUSTRALIA winger Brent Tate hobbled into Brisbane Monday night refusing to concede a hip flexor injury received in the crushing semi-final win over Fiji had ended his hopes of lining up in Saturday's World Cup final.

Manly winger David Williams looks set to cap a stunning debut season in the NRL with a last-minute call-up to Australia's starting side after Tate collapsed in pain soon after crossing for his second try in the 52-0 demolition of a gallant Bati outfit in Sydney on Sunday night.

After starting the year playing park football, Williams emerged as one of the competition's most improved players and was most impressive in his Test debut, scoring three tries in Australia's pool win over Papua New Guinea in Townsville.

Williams said he would prepare for the final as though he had been selected.

"I would like to think (he will play) but I won't be taking anything for granted at the moment," Williams said.

"I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and get my hopes up and then not get selected.

"I will be putting myself in the right frame of mind for playing the game and hopefully it comes through."

Tate, however, is clinging to a glimmer of hope, desperate not to miss the chance to be part of the first World Cup final in eight years.

Outstanding in his first year with the Warriors since leaving Brisbane, the injury could not have come at a worse time.

He was starting to "find his feet" back out on the wing, having played most of the season in his favoured centre position.

"It is so frustrating.

"I said to some of the boys that the early part of the match was the first time all tournament I was feeling really comfortable," Tate said.

"The combinations in the team have just got better and better and personally I felt like my game was coming together.

"And one week out from such a big game ... it's pretty disappointing.

"From here it is just a day-to-day thing.

"All I can do is go through the right rehab, keep my fingers crossed and stay positive.

"I'd give anything to be out there on Saturday."

The injury happened as Tate, 26, ran across the field mid-way through the first half.

Not touched by the opposition, he heard his hip "pop" and was immediately forced from the field.

"I won't get scans," Tate said.

"I will just wait and see how it settles down.

Hopefully it improves over the next couple of days because this is a game I certainly don't want to miss."

There is also doubt about the final make-up of Ricky Stuart's bench.

Manly's grand final hero, Josh Perry, is adamant he could have played against Fiji, despite carrying an injured shoulder.

Veteran Sydney player Craig Fitzgibbon was preferred but Perry said he has not given up on earning a recall.

"I'm 100 per cent ready to go," Perry said.

"I'm looking to get back into the team this week and play in the World Cup final.

"Ricky knew I was carrying my shoulder a bit.

He wanted a bit of experience and went with Fitzy.

"It will be tough to get back in there next week but I have my fingers crossed."

New Zealand also have an injury problem.

Hard-hitting centre Steve Matai will not be considered for selection due to ongoing shoulder and neck problems that will require off-season surgery.

http://www.foxsports.com.au

~lee~
18-11-08, 11:45 PM
Its good to see Ashley Klein as the ref, most of the other refs have been shocking.

DIEHARD
19-11-08, 06:51 PM
STUART NAMES UNCHANGED LINE-UP

Ricky Stuart has named an unchanged line-up for Saturday's World Cup decider against New Zealand.

There are injury concerns with Brent Tate and Paul Gallen and also Karmichael Hunt who is suffering from a badly bruised knee cap.

David Williams remains on standby for Tate, while Anthony Watmough and Josh Perry will come into calculations should Gallen not recover in time.

Kangaroos team to play New Zealand in the World Cup Final at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, November 22nd.

Australian Kangaroos

1. Billy Slater
2. Joel Monaghan
3. Greg Inglis
4. Israel Folau
5. Brent Tate
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. Steve Price
11. Glenn Stewart
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:
14. Karmichael Hunt
15. Craig Fitzgibbon
16. Anthony Tupou
17. Brent Kite

Source: http://www.rleague.com

DIEHARD
19-11-08, 06:52 PM
KIWIS RETAIN WINNING LINE-UP FOR WORLD CUP FINAL

The Pirtek Kiwis will take an unchanged line-up into the Rugby League World Cup grand final against Australia at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Coach Stephen Kearney today retained the same combination that eliminated England 32-22 semi-final at the same venue last Saturday night.

That means 23-year-old second rower Bronson Harrison will again start alongside David Fa'alogo in the second row with Sika Manu on the interchange bench. In the side originally named last week, Harrison was listed on the bench but he was subsequently used as a starting second rower, celebrating by scoring his first test try early in the second half.

Set to start his 16th test is winger Manu Vatuvei, the only New Zealand player who won a spot in the team of the year named at the inaugural International Rugby League Awards in Brisbane on Monday night.

While Vatuvei was voted winger of the year, Australian players filled seven of the nine positional categories in the year's top team including player of the year Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Anthony Laffranchi and Paul Gallen who are all set to be in Australia's World Cup final line-up.

"The Kangaroos have some wonderful players and they've played some fantastic football during the tournament so far," said Kearney.

"We've shown improvement over the past few weeks and we're really pleased with the achievement in reaching the World Cup final but we were disappointed with aspects of our effort against England last week.

"While we know we'll need to be a lot better against Australia, we're excited with the opportunity we have. We don't want to have any regrets on Saturday night."

This will be New Zealand's third appearance in a World Cup final and also the third title decider against Australia. The previous two ended in losses - 12-25 in 1988 and 12-40 in the last World Cup staged in 2000.

The Pirtek Kiwis head into the 2008 decider with four wins in five tests in the past five weeks. They've beaten Tonga 56-8, Papua New Guinea 48-6 and England 36-24 and 32-22 on successive weekends. Their one loss was the 6-30 defeat by Australia in the World Cup's official opening match in Sydney on October 26.

Enjoying a rich vein of try-scoring form in those five tests has been centre Jerome Ropati. After scoring three in the win against Tonga, he added another against Papua New Guinea and bagged a double against England last Saturday night. In all, he has nine tries in his nine tests so far.

World Cup Final
Kiwis V Australia
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
7.00pm, Saturday, November 22, 2008
Referee: Ashley Klein (England)

New Zealand Kiwis

1 Lance Hohaia (Vodafone Warriors)
2 Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters)
3 Simon Mannering (Vodafone Warriors)
4 Jerome Ropati (Vodafone Warriors)
5 Manu Vatuvei (Vodafone Warriors)
6 Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
7 Nathan Fien (Vodafone Warriors)
8 Nathan Cayless (c) (Parramatta)
9 Thomas Leuluai (Wigan)
10 Adam Blair (Melbourne)
11 David Fa'alogo (South Sydney)
12 Bronson Harrison (South Sydney)
13 Jeremy Smith (Melbourne)

Interchange:
14 Issac Luke (South Sydney)
15 Greg Eastwood (Brisbane)
16 Sam Rapira (Vodafone Warriors)
17 Sika Manu (Melbourne)

Coach: Stephen Kearney

Source: http://www.nzrl.co.nz

DIEHARD
20-11-08, 04:43 AM
Tate out, Williams gets call

MANLY winger David Williams will today be officially called into Australia's World Cup team to play the Kiwis in Saturday night's final at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

The Daily Telegraph understands Brent Tate - named in the team yesterday - has not recovered sufficiently from a hip flexor injury sustained in last Sunday's semi-final.

Tate warmed up with the side before training yesterday but did not run. He later had scans on his hip.

Australian team management last night said Tate was still in the side.

Kangaroos lock Paul Gallen (thigh) is also in some doubt with Anthony Watmough on standby. Meanwhile hostilities between 60-year rivals Manly and Parramatta re-ignited last night over Williams. The Daily Telegraph reported this week that, due to salary cap constraints, Manly may have to ditch Williams or fellow winger Michael Robertson after next year.

Williams is on a modest base contract of $50,000 but is ready to ask Manly for a deal worth $200,000 a season - the same price being sought by Robertson, a three-try grand final hero who represented Scotland in the World Cup.

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald jumped straight in last night claiming he would like Williams to return to Parramatta, the player's former club. But Manly CEO Grant Mayer responded by telling Fitzgerald to keep away from Williams.

Cheekily, Manly recently referred to Parramatta as its feeder club - the Sea Eagles having poached a number of players including Ray Higgs, Geoff Gerard, Tony Melrose, David Liddiard, Scott Donald, Shayne Dunley, Kylie Leuluai and Jamie Lyon - from Sydney's west to the northern beaches.

But Fitzgerald may be considering a "get square". "David Williams is a very good player - if he was available, we'd love to see him come back," he said last night.

World Cup final teams:

Australia: Billy Slater, Joel Monaghan, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Brent Tate, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Karmichael Hunt, Craig Fitzgibbon, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite.

New Zealand: Lance Hohaia, Sam Perrett, Simon Mannering, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei, Benji Marshall, Nathan Fien, Nathan Cayless (captain), Thomas Leuluai, Adam Blair, Bronson Harrison, David Fa'alogo, Jeremy Smith. Interchange - Issac Luke, Greg Eastwood, Sam Rapira, Sika Manu.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
22-11-08, 02:52 AM
Steve Price is out of the World Cup Final! He tore a hamstring at training! Big loss for the Roos.

Shame a great guy like Price can be there, he deserves it.

C-Whiz
22-11-08, 10:33 AM
Steve Price is out of the World Cup Final! He tore a hamstring at training! Big loss for the Roos.

Shame a great guy like Price can be there, he deserves it.That sucks for him. He's a genuine decent guy who deserves the honour. Might only win by 26 or so now.

hicksey
22-11-08, 10:49 AM
does anyone know the updated line up then for both aussies and kiwis

C-Whiz
22-11-08, 01:35 PM
For those of you who haven't got tickets yet...... wait till you see the massive entretainment schedule leading up to kick off........

Please see below the run down of events for the Rugby League World Cup final at Suncorp Stadium

5pm- Gates Open

6pm- Team of the Century presentation

6.30pm- Performance by Natalie Bassingthwaighte

7pm local time, 8pm AEDST- Kick-Off Wow! Can't wait to rush in and get tickets for the next RLWC we host. That's if I've recovered from all this "entertainment" by then. :rolleyes:

GCT_89
22-11-08, 01:58 PM
ill be at the caxton from 4-6

C-Whiz
22-11-08, 02:02 PM
ill be at the caxton from 4-6Might swing by and meet up for a beer. I'll have the kids with me so it'll have to be out the front. I'll msg u when we get there. Cheers.

DIEHARD
22-11-08, 03:02 PM
See you at the game guys! Go Kangaroos!

daveyk
22-11-08, 03:20 PM
wot a huge lineup they have planned.... am sooooo upset now that i dont have tickets.....

NB: the above message was said with extreme sacarism...

titanstattman
22-11-08, 03:40 PM
For those of you who haven't got tickets yet...... wait till you see the massive entretainment schedule leading up to kick off........

Wow! Can't wait to rush in and get tickets for the next RLWC we host. That's if I've recovered from all this "entertainment" by then. :rolleyes:

All the Gf have better line ups than this p1ss of sh1t we call RLWC.......

Paul
22-11-08, 08:11 PM
How good was Boofs first run, he made about 30+ metres

It looks like England is playing, The whole crowd looks like they're wearing white

Steve
22-11-08, 08:22 PM
Crap, I'm missing the game? I was gonna put the tv on in a few hours to catch it.

Paul
22-11-08, 08:28 PM
LOL steve

Its basically over already and it's only 20 mins in

Paul
22-11-08, 08:35 PM
strike that, looks like the Kiwis are back in it with 2 quick tries

Steve
22-11-08, 08:36 PM
LOL steve

Its basically over already and it's only 20 mins in

Not quite over! GO NZ!

Paul
22-11-08, 08:44 PM
Lockyer is in for his second

Steve
22-11-08, 09:32 PM
Okay, Australia is allowed to start scoring now.

Paul
22-11-08, 09:32 PM
wow, slater has the biggest brain explosion and marshall scores to put the kiwis further ahead

hicksey
22-11-08, 09:39 PM
aussie r playing like crap

titanstattman
22-11-08, 09:43 PM
wow, slater has the biggest brain explosion and marshall scores to put the kiwis further ahead

Hahahah make that two.....

U watch this pan try to kiwis...

We have to play a real game and we just have sh1t ourselfs.

Go the kiwis just for giggles......

Paul
22-11-08, 09:45 PM
pretty much all over now,Penalty try to NZ lol

about time we saw a decent game, well done NZ if you hang on for 9 mins

titanstattman
22-11-08, 09:45 PM
pretty much all over now,Penalty try to NZ lol

about time we saw a decent game, well done NZ if you hang on for 9 mins

I say its all the kiwis.........

Paul
22-11-08, 09:49 PM
6 mins left Dee,Kiwis up 28-20 and fully deserved

titanstattman
22-11-08, 09:49 PM
Didn't bother watching it. Chicken little and Cody Banks secret agent seemed like better viewing. Who won.

Its 28-20 to the kiwis.

The aussies thought they won the game b4 it even started and wen the kiwis turned up to play the aussies sh1t them selfs and didnt know wat to do good on the kiwis

Paul
22-11-08, 09:52 PM
Blair scores the winner for the Kiwis

32-20 with a kick to come

Congrats NZ,completely deserved win in this game

titanstattman
22-11-08, 09:53 PM
Blair scores the winner for the Kiwis

32-20 with a kick to come

Congrats NZ,completely deserved win in this game

Oh so ture Paul wat a game the kiwis brought them the game...

hahaha the aussie dont lose a game untill the last game hahaha

kwigibo
22-11-08, 09:55 PM
Maybe they can get rid of Ricky Stuart now.

Paul
22-11-08, 09:57 PM
Now this makes up for all the ****ness of this WC because its now not just a one team tournament

patskE
22-11-08, 10:04 PM
anyone else hunt should be the aussie fullback?
like slator does some good things, but the dumb things he does sorta cancel it out...
not talking about the brain snap that lead to that try for benji
the 1st try lockayer scored, could of jsut drawn the fullback n pass it to darren, but he had to try beat the fullback byhimself, and was lucky enough to find darren when he was falling.

Paul
22-11-08, 10:08 PM
Slater is 100 X the player Hunt will ever be. Don't crucify him for one bad game.The bloke is easily the best FB on the planet

Paul
22-11-08, 10:11 PM
How the efing hell was Lockyer man of the match????????????????

~lee~
22-11-08, 10:13 PM
What a great game that was and fitting for a final i think everyone was waiting for a team to challenge the aussies.
There were so many talking points in the game but NZ were the better team by a long way. They looked up for it from the first minute to the last and im sure the 60 million fans in England cheering them on helped aswell :D

Steve
22-11-08, 10:15 PM

I guess that was decided before the game was played.

Paul
22-11-08, 10:16 PM
im sure the 60 million fans in England cheering them on helped aswell :D

looked like about 30,000 were inside suncorp as well from watching it on tele lol

~lee~
22-11-08, 10:16 PM
A shout out to the English fans by Nathan Cayless, what a top bloke!

Jaye001
22-11-08, 10:19 PM
NZ were always going to win. How else do you build the reputation of the game outside Australia. Australia played very very ordinary, NZ got very very lucky in every area. Ref was as biased as i have ever seen. Just can't believe they could choke so bad........ Is it true Lockyer was man of the match??? if so that is gee up number 2 for the night,

Steve
22-11-08, 10:27 PM
Iloved that when they were introducing the kiwi team, there was pretty much silence for Fein.

titanstattman
22-11-08, 10:59 PM

Oh so ture that was alot of sh1t...

I guess that was decided before the game was played.

Just like ever1 thought how the aussioe were going to walk away easy with the win...

Boofhead
23-11-08, 12:19 AM
And the bookies make a killing again!

But the worst thing of all is... the pig ******* will be twice as annoying now.

Steel Dragon
23-11-08, 12:56 AM
Went to the game. A cracker of a match, pity about the result. To make matters worse I'm married to a Kiwi. While the Kiwis thoroughly deserved their win, the ref should have been wearing black, not pink. And don't get me started on the video ref.

Had a bunch of Poms sitting behind me, who spent most fo the night bagging the video ref! Had a chat to them after the game, seemed liek top blokes, and very passionate about their League. When I mentioned soccer, thinking that all Poms follow the game, I got this response: "Nah, I hate soccer it's a game for nancy boys!" Now while I follow the beautiful game myself, it pleased me no end to see such passion for what is and always will be my first sporting love - Rugby League.

By the way, there were 50,599 there tonight - and I believe it, the only empty sections were a couple of the corporate boxes. Finally the kind of crowd this event deserved. I live in hope that one day international Rugby League will once again be the pinnacle of our game like it was in the past. Passionate Blues fan that I am, I honestly believe international footy should trump Origin. It's a crying shame it doesn't. And it is an even bigger crying shame that a perfect opportunity to give international League a massive shot in the arm was totally butchered by the powers that be, and by channel 9.

Jason

p.s. how funny was it seeing the tool announcer reminding Lockyer to thank the coaching staff?

DIEHARD
23-11-08, 01:20 AM
looked like about 30,000 were inside suncorp as well from watching it on tele lol

You werent wrong. Poms were out in force, making the crowd for the Final a beautiful mix of supporters from around the globe. I loved jersey spotting all the British and French clubs. Those Poms are the best supporters in the game for sure. I'd love to tour the UK and France for the 2013 World Cup. Even though their team was a let down, all the poms I talked to loved their trip down under.

Well what a fantastic World Cup...

I'm shocked and numb, it was absolutely unbelievable watching Australia get thumped. I can't believe we have lost the World Cup!

Well done to NZ they were by far the better team on the night of the Final. But god damn! We didn't just lose we got thumped.

Well done to all the Pommies that turned out, even though they deathrode Australia. It was great mixing with fans from St Helens, London, Bradford, Hull (FC and Rovers), Huddersfield and Wigan. I also got to meet lots of French fans, wearing Les Catalans jerseys.

This win will ensure the next World Cup is a cracker! The next Test in May next year at Lang Park will be another massive crowd of 50,000.

The game in New Zealand will benefit so greatly from this and hopefully it gets capitalised on. They really did do something amazing and they really kicked Australia in the nuts on this one...

I'm so tired, I'll post again tomorrow. But thanks to all the fans who supported this fantastic tournament. It was such a great ride and I will be suffering extreme withdrawl over the coming months. To be cured with some Titans goodness.

Travelling around Australia to games was absolutely brilliant, the tournament has brought so many brand new fans to the game and turbo charged rugby league development for the next 5 years.

I just don't think I can stomach the gloating of the Kiwis. We have to put up with them calling themselves world champs for 5 years. And our beautiful trophy is now in their grubby hands. Bring on the re-match, that'll be a cracker. Kangaroos will be out for revenge.

Tonight';s game was so passionate, so emotional and such a thriller. Both on and off the field.

Goodbye season 2008! And good on all the true believers in the World Cup and international footy. It's got so much potential and so much to give to rugby league, even interstate footy was roundly ridiculed before Origin and look at it now. If we can get international footy up there, we'll be sitting pretty as a sport and as fans we'll be spoilt rotten. I'm so glad the World Cup is back, forever on the calendar. I'm broke but had the time of my life, even though we lost the Cup... I can't believe, it this has got to be a dream.

DIEHARD signing off, Roo for life!

I'm going to bravely venture over to some British forums... all the gloating and rubbing it in is going to hurt, it'll be a thousand times worse than when we lost the tri nations.

Hey but well done to New Zealand for winning their first ever World Cup. It's difficult not to appreciate that...

DIEHARD
23-11-08, 01:45 AM
FIVE million dollars' profit, a sell-out crowd and a World Cup final between Australia and New Zealand in the game's centenary year, which exploded before a tackle was made.

What followed was a remarkable 80 minutes and an even more remarkable result. The underdog Kiwis repeated their stunning 2005 Tri-Nations upset with a dramatic 34-20 victory, on the back of a spirited New Zealand attack, sealed with a penalty try awarded by English video referee Steve Ganson.

Where are the knockers now?

The traditional pre-game haka set the scene with the players standing toe-to-toe eyeballing each other.

The Suncorp Stadium crowd of more than 50,000 loved every second of it, roaring their approval.

New Zealand-born Karmichael Hunt burst from the pack screaming at his Australian teammates to respond after the pumped up Kiwis taunted the Aussies with the most aggressive war chant seen in clashes between the two.

The sight of 80 kilogram Kiwi Issac Luke snarling at 110 kilogram Aussie giant Brent Kite was priceless.

Despite being walloped by a series of electrical storms during the week, rugby league fans packed into the ground in their thousands.

The Kangaroos went into the final overwhelming favourites having won all previous World Cup final clashes against New Zealand.

The competitive match surprised rugby league pundits, many of whom expected a walkover. But the underdog Kiwis had a secret weapon this time, Australian supercoach Wayne Bennett.

Bennett worked on the players' self-belief while head coach Stephen Kearney prepared them tactically.

It took Australian fullback Billy Slater less than 20 minutes to show why he was named the Rugby League International Federation's player of the year on Monday, laying on tries for his skipper and man-of-the-match Darren Lockyer and also winger David Williams.

However, it was moment of Slater madness when he hurled the ball blindly over his shoulder that gifted Kiwi five-eighth Benji Marshall a try that put New Zealand ahead 22-16 with just 20 minutes left.

When Australia - looking to win the World Cup for the seventh straight time - cruised to a 10-0 lead, which threatened to go to 16-0 after Lockyer failed to ground a grubber kick, it seemed the critics tipping a one-sided final were on the money.

"This could be embarrassing," came the cry in the press box.

Ten minutes later the Kiwis somehow found themselves ahead 12-10 following tries to Jeremy Smith and David Fa'alogo.

Lockyer, as he so often does for Australia, regained the lead 16-12 just before halftime.

Suddenly, it was game on again, but ultimately it was the New Zealanders who celebrated a monumental upset triumph.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
23-11-08, 01:54 AM
Moments of madness that cost Kangaroos

Australia 20 New Zealand 34

IT WAS meant to be predictable, but the finish was irresistible. A joke became a choke.

And it was controversial, after a penalty try gave New Zealand the unassailable lead to snatch the World Cup from Australia, so dominant in the tournament but this morning only dormant.

It was a memorable night but one to forget completely for two Australians, fullback Billy Slater and winger Joel Monaghan, the centre of the two biggest plays.

After a blunder by Slater - named the best player in the world during the week and the player of the tournament after full-time - helped the Kiwis to a six-point lead, video referee Steve Ganson awarded them a penalty try with just 10 minutes remaining after Monaghan had held back Lance Hohaia.

Halfback Nathan Fien had kicked through but as the bounce evaded Monaghan, he thrust an arm around Hohaia and could not have expected anything other than a penalty try, giving the Kiwis an unassailable eight-point lead - extended by Adam Blair with five minutes remaining - and the World Cup.

"I think the big thing there is that he didn't get an opportunity, did he, to try and effect the try?" New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney said. "He never got that opportunity. That's the decision that had to be made."

Kearney said he felt numb after the game but surely not as numb as Slater. His blunder occurred after 61 minutes. After fielding a kick, he tried to take on Manu Vatuvei down only the slightest corridor and, when the Kiwi winger nabbed his man, Slater hurled the ball back infield, as Jarryd Hayne did in similarly disastrous circumstances in a State of Origin clash at the same ground last year.

The ball bounced invitingly for Benji Marshall, somewhat erratic but great to watch on the night, and the Kiwis had a six-point lead with less than a quarter remaining. If Herschelle Gibbs had dropped the World Cup, Slater had thrown it away.

Slater's Melbourne teammate Greg Inglis took the Australians back to within two points, after skipper Darren Lockyer's lovely cut-out pass, but it was not enough.

And so the Australians again had failed at the final hurdle in a big tournament, just three years after their 24-0 loss to the same side in the Tri-Nations. Their coach then, Wayne Bennett - in the opposing box last night - had his revenge.

This one will take a while to get over. It was the Australians who began strongest but, as they have done throughout the tournament, the Kiwis improved as the match went on.

It was a spirited night which was entertaining even before kick-off. After Advance Australia Fair, it was advance Australia, as the Kangaroos linked arms and took steps towards the Kiwis during their haka. The Kiwis advanced themselves, and for much of the war dance they were so close they could have been engaged in a slow dance.

But while the Australians stood up to the haka in the most thrilling fashion, the Kiwis did something almost as surprising by standing up to the Australians. It was equally thrilling, especially after giving the Kangaroos a start with two tries in the first 17 minutes.

"It's been a theme of our tournament to not have any regrets," Kiwi skipper Nathan Cayless said. "We certainly don't have any now."

No regrets, but certainly respect. "We deserve respect [now]," Cayless said. "No one can take it away from us."

Asked if it was the result the international game needed, Cayless said: "I don't know. It's the result I needed."

After Australia's quick start, two Kiwi tries in four minutes put the defending champions behind on the scoreboard for the first time in the tournament. The first came through desperation by Jeremy Smith, and the second through enterprise by referee Ashley Klein, who allowed play to continue after Marshall appeared to lose possession, resulting in Jerome Ropati's try. The problem with doing that is, like tormenting a caged animal, eventually they're going to hit back hard. And they did so with a beauty. Lockyer had three of the eight touches and finished off the play for his second try of the night. Anthony Watmough threw the final ball.

It wasn't bad for someone who was preparing to only show neat footwork on the dance floor last night after being drafted into the squad when Steve Price was ruled out after a training ground injury. But there would be no dancing later though.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
23-11-08, 01:58 AM
New Zealand humble Kangaroos in World Cup final in Brisbane

BILLY Slater's season of magic spontaneously combusted in a moment of madness and, combined with a controversial penalty try, gave New Zealand their first ever Rugby League World Cup with a stunning 34-20 upset of Australia at Suncorp Stadium Saturday night.

Massive underdogs heading into the match, the Kiwis pulled off the biggest upset in World Cup history - the Kangaroos surrendering their No.1 ranking to their transtasman rivals with their first loss since 2006.

The Aussies were left lamenting a series of blunders and a massive call from video referee Steve Ganson - the Englishman awarding the visitors a penalty try with ten minutes remaining on the back a horrendous Slater error when he gifted Benji Marshall a try to give New Zealand rugby league their proudest moment.

"The game was back was in a bad state this time last year and some tough decisions had to be made," Stephen Kearney said of his elevation to the coaching position after Gary Kemp's sacking.

"I'm very pleased for the game back home, it's something on the back of what the Warriors achieved this year, I think it's been a real boost for our game."

Ganson ruled Australian winger Joel Monaghan had taken out Lance Hohaia as he chased through a Benji Marshall grubber, though Slater's proximity to the incident gave doubt as to whether the Kiwi No.1 would have got to the ball first.

Earlier Slater, who was named player of the tournament, chanced his arm one too many times, his flirtation with the touchline ending in disaster.

He flicked the ball infield ten metres out from his own line only to watch in horror as Marshall pounced to dive over for a 22-16 lead with just 19 minutes remaining.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart refused to blame his brilliant full-back.

"I love Billy Slater as a bloke and as a footy player and I would never ever be critical of Billy," Stuart said.

"He's in the work space at that time and he knows what to do - some of them don't come off, some of them do.

"We didn't play our best game, and (there was a chance) that was always going to happen.

"You only have to have one off night and you can be got against the English and New Zealand, they can get you and that was proven tonight."

The Australians had romped though the preliminary rounds with massive winning margins over every opponent.

New Zealand were their own worst enemies early in the final with Benji Marshall blowing a easy chance for a try when he failed to ground a Nathan Fein grubber.

Lockyer crossed for Australia's first after Slater looked like he had butchered the opportunity when he elected to go himself.

Williams ran away for a 10-0 lead but a denied try to Lockyer turned the contest with Jeremy Smith and then Jerome Ropati - after Marshall had been ruled to have been stripped of the ball - putting the Kiwis up 12-10.

Lockyer completed his double to restore Australia's advantage 16-12 at half-time.

But it wasn't enough as the Kiwis flew home after the break to become the first side other than Australia to win a World Cup since Great Britain's win in 1972.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

~lee~
23-11-08, 02:04 AM
the ref should have been wearing black, not pink. And don't get me started on the video ref.

I thought Mr Klein made 2 calls which were a little harsh on Australia apart from that he reffed a good game, he let play continue where others would have stopped it. As for Steve Ganson im not sure what you didnt like about him? The 4 tries that weren't tries he called correctly, the penalty try was a brave call which most have accepted as a logical call. Does anyone know why the Aussie player didnt get sin binned?

Paul
23-11-08, 06:57 AM
I thought Mr Klein made 2 calls which were a little harsh on Australia apart from that he reffed a good game, he let play continue where others would have stopped it. As for Steve Ganson im not sure what you didnt like about him? The 4 tries that weren't tries he called correctly, the penalty try was a brave call which most have accepted as a logical call. Does anyone know why the Aussie player didnt get sin binned?

I agree,I thought all the officials did their job for a change and Monaghan should certainly have spent the last ten minutes in the bin.In Aus we usually have a tendency try and make somebody a scapegoat, the officials will probably get slammed in this mornings papers etc when in fact the frustration should be aimed at the team who looked like deer in the headlights.We looked clueless as NZ came prepared to play.

I'm still trying to understand how darren lockyer got MOM, someone "high up" must have had a few dollars on it or somthing:p

titanstattman
23-11-08, 09:28 AM

Yes in the rules that cause they was a penatly try he dosent get sent off but if it was'nt a penatly try he would of been sent off..

Brad i like ur knew sig but the knocker is still here and thats me im sorry but a final dos'nt make up for the way the sport and the fans have been treated over the past month... I watched the game and it was a great game and a big well done to the NZ they really turned up and play a great game....

Titanium_BD1103
23-11-08, 09:31 AM
Regardless of whether that was a penalty try or not... the better side got the win yesterday no doubting that... and good on them, it's great for international RL and for NZ... :D

Well done to the New Zealand... I thought Australia would run them down, but in the end, the Aussies weren't patient enough and perhaps were too bravado about the whole thing an didn't play smart enough... the brain explosions by Williams and Slater were a sign of that... and when they got behind, they got desparate and dangerous.

On the other hand the Kiwis whilst at times sliding back to their old habits, for the most part were tough, committed and always having a go... they never gave up and good on Kearney and Bennett for getting a team that at times in this WC looked less than ordinary to shine... ;)

I thought Manu Vautevi had a superb game, Jerome Roparti stood up and was counted and Issac Luke showed why he is such a loss to our club... he was devastating at times. It was also good to see Benji back to his better play... signs look good for Tigers in 09.... ;)

I am sad to see the Aussies lose, but I am more than happy because a better side won and in the end, it was good for Rugby League... and I guess there's more satisfaction in that in the long haul then there would have been had Australia won by 50.

Paul
23-11-08, 09:44 AM
Brad i like ur knew sig but the knocker is still here and thats me im sorry but a final dos'nt make up for the way the sport and the fans have been treated over the past month...

yeah, his sig is weird. It's not all about making money. It sounds like a bank CEO-we'll treat our customers like sh!t,give them awful service and make record profits because of it.

You'd expect a world cup final to be sold out in any sport. What about the other 17 games that had p!ss poor crowds? or does that not matter? They should have gone around to local schools or members of NRL clubs and just given away thousands of tickets once they realised nobody was going to turn up to these games,at least the stadiums would have had crowds then and it would have introduced the next generation to "live" footy

C-Whiz
23-11-08, 10:13 AM
I'm as shell-shocked as everyone else, but honestly, it was the best result for the game. And it was a great game to watch and be part of.

I agree with others that a great final doesn't make a great tournament, but this thread is about the final, and the final was as good as it gets! A fairytale finish, well deserved by the Kiwis, and now plenty to look forward to in years to come.

Just as a side note to the result, it just shows how much self-belief and a positive psychological outlook can give you the edge that might make the difference. Other teams played to try and reduce their losing margins, but last night NZ fought back from 2 tries down to pull ahead and put the Roo's to the sword. Nice one Wayne Bennett. Well done NZ.

Paul
23-11-08, 10:16 AM
Good post Chris

quins rl
23-11-08, 08:46 PM
Went to the game. A cracker of a match, pity about the result. To make matters worse I'm married to a Kiwi. While the Kiwis thoroughly deserved their win, the ref should have been wearing black, not pink. And don't get me started on the video ref.

Had a bunch of Poms sitting behind me, who spent most fo the night bagging the video ref! Had a chat to them after the game, seemed liek top blokes, and very passionate about their League. When I mentioned soccer, thinking that all Poms follow the game, I got this response: "Nah, I hate soccer it's a game for nancy boys!" Now while I follow the beautiful game myself, it pleased me no end to see such passion for what is and always will be my first sporting love - Rugby League.

By the way, there were 50,599 there tonight - and I believe it, the only empty sections were a couple of the corporate boxes. Finally the kind of crowd this event deserved. I live in hope that one day international Rugby League will once again be the pinnacle of our game like it was in the past. Passionate Blues fan that I am, I honestly believe international footy should trump Origin. It's a crying shame it doesn't. And it is an even bigger crying shame that a perfect opportunity to give international League a massive shot in the arm was totally butchered by the powers that be, and by channel 9.

Jason

p.s. how funny was it seeing the tool announcer reminding Lockyer to thank the coaching staff?
Im sure when you watch the game again in the cold light of day,you will realise the ref actually had a very good game,maybe 1 or 2 that could be queried,certainly less mistakes than the vast majority of the players out there.

TITAN PETE
23-11-08, 09:48 PM
It was a great match & the atmosphere at the ground was brilliant & the Kiwi's deserved their win which will be great for the game back in NZ ;)

I don't know if they named a man of the series but Lockyer would have won it hands down but the Man of the match last night was not him & should've gone to Jeremy Smith,Vatuvie or Isac Luke they all played brilliant games.

titanstattman
23-11-08, 09:55 PM
It was a great match & the atmosphere at the ground was brilliant & the Kiwi's deserved their win which will be great for the game back in NZ ;)

I don't know if they named a man of the series but Lockyer would have won it hands down but the Man of the match last night was not him & should've gone to Jeremy Smith,Vatuvie or Isac Luke they all played brilliant games.

I think Billy the kid was named, i think???

And no way DL should of been man of the match that must of been decided at half time LOL..

So my msg was right than big guy??? LOL

TITAN PETE
23-11-08, 10:13 PM
So my msg was right than big guy??? LOL

I support my country i'm not a Kiwi Closet Supporter who come out when they're are in front;)

titanstattman
23-11-08, 10:23 PM
I support my country i'm not a Kiwi Closet Supporter who come out when they're are in front;)

I dont go for the Kiwis im full aussie but watching the game i could just see how it was going to end.....

Assassin
24-11-08, 02:19 PM
As much as I hate to see the aussies loose this outcome is probebly good for the game... the kiwi's have such a strong Rugby Union set up over there and this will really help push league's profile a lot higher.

Other good things to note on the night was how good Locky looked, gives us Bronc's fans something to look forward to next year, plus for you st george fans even more to look forward to with Wayne Bennant heading your way you must be starting to get optimistic even with a team fairly void of "big names" you'd like to think he can have a similar effect at the saints as he has for NZ.

Capital_Shark
24-11-08, 04:31 PM
I wasn't disappointed with the outcome of this, as I could tell at about 20mins in that Australia was probably gonna lose. The fashion in which they did lose though, no one could have predicted. Possibly someone could have scripted it, but no predicted it.

I hate that I even have these thoughts, but lets entertain for a minute:

- Darren Lockyer forgot how to hold onto a ball? He caught the friggen thing and only had to hold onto it for the time it took to fall 5 inches. Did this legend and stalwart of representative football unwillingly release the ball in a moment of nervous excitment, perhaps still thinking back to the try he scored minutes earlier where he had the clarity of mind to step a defender, scoot down along the deadball line to improve the position for the conversion, safely grounding the ball in two hands, underneath his chest just before the last defender arrived?

- In the 4 games leading up to the final, the Australians let in just 16 points and scored 180. Their defense in that one game, was over twice as bad as their previous four games put together, and by only scoring 20 they failed to rack up even half of their average tally of 45 per game. The Kiwis on the other hand dramatically improve both their defense and attack. Less than a month earlier they couldn't put more than 6 on Australia, with Australia putting 30 on them. Even England scored no less than 22 points against NZ just 8 days earlier, with NZ scoring less than they did against Australia.

- Slater goes from the best form for a fullback since who knows when, to flat out forgetting that as fullback he's the last line of defense - seriously, who the hell was he passing that ball back to?

Rugby League can be a strange game sometimes. But that bloody strange...?

Assassin
24-11-08, 04:48 PM
My biggest disapointment for the night was Inglis, not because he did anything wrong but because I actually forgot he was on the field till he scored that try toward the end. He has a real habit of just dropping out of games sometimes... he can be the best centre in the game sometimes but others you don't even realise he's playing.

Falou on the otherhand never gave up and got involved right through... scary to think he's still young enough to line up for the under 20's...

Paul
24-11-08, 04:57 PM
CS,even for a conspiracy theory that is far fetched :D

C-Whiz
24-11-08, 08:34 PM
I think Billy the kid was named, i think???

And no way DL should of been man of the match that must of been decided at half time LOL..

So my msg was right than big guy??? LOLSlater had won just about every other award this year, so they probably had him earmarked for the MOM, then he throws a brain-snap pass late in the game, and they panic in the box and just give it to the next best Aussie. That's my best guess.

I support my country i'm not a Kiwi Closet Supporter who come out when they're are in front;)LOL, yeah I got the same crap SMS's from him. :D Just what you need when your country is getting beaten, some "True Blue" laughing it up and telling you how good the Kiwis are. ;)

CS,even for a conspiracy theory that is far fetched :DLOL, imagine the boys in the sheds before the game planning this one.

Lockyer:"OK, if I cross early for my second and we're getting to far in front I'll just drop it over the line"
Slater,"OK, and if it looks too close towards the end I'll do some really ordinary pass to no-one so the Kiwis can score. Someone try to give them a penatly try too, just to seal the deal".
Lockyer, "Sweet. That should keep Wayne happy. OK Billy, I'll toss you for the MOM award........ Yes!! Heads, I win!"

GCT_89
24-11-08, 10:24 PM
Slater had won just about every other award this year, so they probably had him earmarked for the MOM, then he throws a brain-snap pass late in the game, and they panic in the box and just give it to the next best Aussie. That's my best guess.

nah he did play a great game............and was selected to be mom, but aparently the selectors made that vote with 10 minutes still to go, game wasnt decided yet and many of them wanted to change their votes................

DIEHARD
24-11-08, 10:43 PM
Lockyer had a great game, but I think it's ridiculous that they pick the winner with 10mins to go, with the last 10mins being the most intense and usually where big games are won and lost.

The Courier Mail had a funny cartoon on this, I'll try and scan it later if my scanner wants to work.

Paul
24-11-08, 10:47 PM
Can somebody explain why two aussies were the ones being chosen as MOM when they were second best all over the park,especially in the second half? Not a single player in our 17 should have been considered for the award,let alone win it. lockyer looked almost embarassed when he went to collect it. It was cringeworthy to watch.

and as an aside did anyone else find it highly intrusive that that twat on the microphone basically FORCED Lockyer to thank sponsors the second time DL went on stage?

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-11-08, 07:59 PM
if anyone gets a chance to watch a replay or has it recorded, have a look at the 44-45th min, a tackle involving Smith, Luke and another Kiwi, look closely and u will see issac luke throw a punch or two at smiths groin. It looked dirty, obv didn't hurt as smith didn't react, but i just lost all admiration i had for luke, great player dirty thug.