PDA

View Full Version : World Cup News! 10 Teams!

DIEHARD
26-11-05, 04:10 AM
World Cup to have 10 nations

At its meeting today, the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has confirmed that 10 nations will compete in the Rugby League World Cup to be staged in the Southern Hemisphere in 2008.

Details of the nations to be granted direct entry to the tournament and those that will gain entry via Qualifying Groups will be confirmed prior to 1st March 2006.

The Federation has also agreed that each competing nation?s squad must meet the following criteria relating to domestic players:

Each nation?s squad must contain at least six players who have played and been registered in the relevant domestic competition for at least one year.

OR

Each squad must contain at least six players who have played in one of that nation?s junior international teams such as a Student representative side or second tier international side, within the 18 months prior to the tournament.

Commenting on the outcome of the meeting, the Chairman of the Rugby League International Federation Colin Love said: ?It is extremely satisfying that the RLIF meeting has today reached agreement on these important issues.

?The Federation believes that the 10 team format will ensure the 2008 Rugby League World Cup will be a successful and highly competitive tournament which is both hugely entertaining and has many benefits for the sport globally?.

Love added: ?The Qualifying Groups and matches will also be structured so that they function as a clear pathway for developing nations to win the right to compete with the sport?s established international teams as well as a significant development tool for Rugby League?.

Meanwhile, the RLIF has confirmed that work is continuing on the development of the 2006 Tri-Nations to be staged in the Southern Hemisphere. Details of the tournament schedule and venues will be confirmed in due course.

Source: Rugby Football League

Ipswich Fan
26-11-05, 06:49 AM
This is good news, to develop these lesser countries must eventually compete against the stronger teams so they can learn what it takes to compete at the international level.

Eel 33
26-11-05, 09:31 AM
God help them when they play the "professional" nations. The 2 words that come to mind are "cricket score."

Dakink
26-11-05, 09:35 AM
Cricket score it maybe but - like the cricket WC - these smaller nations relish the chance to play against the bigger countries. Not only Aus etc but the next tier like PNG and co.

DeeGan
26-11-05, 10:21 AM
Great news for international rugby league!

It gives the lesser nations something to aim for and will only improve the game internationally as each nation will have a goal in place.

The sides on the end of the cricket type scorelines which will hurt in the short term - long term, they will be beneficial. It will highlight the work that needs to be done and provide a carrott to chase in so many words.

I will there at the World Cup - I will also get to as many non Australian games as possible to show my support!

This is an event that I am really looking forward too - yes, the game will be healthier internationally in 20 years, though we have to start somewhere and I will be happy to be involved as a fan in 2008.

DeeGan

Dakink
26-11-05, 10:28 AM
Yep - Ill be visiting as many games as I can as well!

Steelers
26-11-05, 10:47 AM
I'll be 18 when the WC starts so i'll get a group of mates together and go to a few Lang Park games :D

Super Cronk
26-11-05, 11:06 AM
this is great! Some teams may get whooped...but sometimes it takes years of ass whooping for these teams to finally be competitive. Cant wait.

SuperCliffy#01
30-11-05, 01:04 PM
God help them when they play the "professional" nations. The 2 words that come to mind are "cricket score."

We used to say that about Sri Lanka in international cricket and they have been international one day champions a couple of times, the only way these RL minnow nations can get better is to play the best, either they toughen up of fade into oblivion its that simple.

Research Station Drive
30-11-05, 03:40 PM
I'm looking forward to this! I'll definately be heading to as many games as possible.

I think Russia will be my second team for the tournament :raph:

Who wants to have a stab at who the 10 teams will be?

Kallan
30-11-05, 03:56 PM
Well what teams do we have to choose from?
here is some:
Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, France, Russia, PNG, Samoa,Tonga, Malta, USA
what others?

Dakink
30-11-05, 04:22 PM
Thats a toughy and I like the way they plan on using Qualification games that mean something. [quote]Love added: ?The Qualifying Groups and matches will also be structured so that they function as a clear pathway for developing nations to win the right to compete with the sport?s established international teams as well as a significant development tool for Rugby League?.[/quoe]

Aus, NZ, ENG, France, PNG are already garaunteed. Be interesting to see how the rest scratch up. Cook Islands - whilst small have been approaching their game the right way. The other home nations have been improving as well. Not sure more thought is needed and Ill get back on the rest.

Queenslander
30-11-05, 05:12 PM
I will see any game that is at Lang Park. I hope this is a bigger event than the Rugby World Cup. With carefully planning im sure they could easily pull that off.