PDA

View Full Version : Mathers Quashes Titans

Luke
25-11-05, 06:00 PM
source: leedsrugby.com

Leeds Rhinos full-back Richard Mathers today dismissed speculation he is poised to join Australian side Gold Coast Titans.
The new club ? who are due to enter the National Rugby League in 2007 ? are understood to be keen on the England star, leading to speculation a deal has already been done.
But Mathers, who has one year left on his Rhinos contract, today said there is "no truth" in the rumours of a move Down Under.
"I am on holiday with friends at the Gold Coast," said Mathers. "It's just rumours from that. It's not true at all."

DeeGan
25-11-05, 06:05 PM
Not confirmed means not confirmed ladies and gents as I clearly stated in the thread I posted - in saying that, there is still alot of time left between now and 2007 :)

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
25-11-05, 06:40 PM
Oh, please. I've heard this story a million times. Mark my words- Mathers will not be a Rhino in '07. And if i'm wrong, '08.

Dakink
26-11-05, 08:56 AM
I've heard the old 'just on a holiday' routine before. Where there is smoke there is fire. He may not come here in'07 but I bet he has been spoken to about it and has considered the option. What half decent young Pom hasnt wanted to try the NRL, unless they are scared of failure.

Luke
26-11-05, 11:21 AM
if the titans sign Mathers will the titans give up on signing Greenshields ??

Titanium_BD1103
26-11-05, 11:56 AM
I reckon sign them both.. one can play fullback and the other wing.. we could do with both of them for depth purposes.. both very good.. :D :D

I saw that article yesterday but I decided not to post it... because as everyone here is saying.. there is a lot of time between now and 07 or even 08.. Mathers will not be a Rhino IMO in the future and seeing as he has friends in the GC it would seem logical...

We will all just have to wait and see what happens.. ;)

Lennox Titan
26-11-05, 11:56 AM
if the titans sign Mathers will the titans give up on signing Greenshields ??

Depends i guess. Can Mathers or Greensheilds play any different positions? nothing wrong with having a bit of depth.

Lennox Titan
26-11-05, 11:57 AM
What Bulldog said :p

Teegy
26-11-05, 11:58 AM
Greensheilds is a very talented 5/8 aswell

DeeGan
26-11-05, 12:00 PM
I've heard the old 'just on a holiday' routine before. Where there is smoke there is fire. He may not come here in'07 but I bet he has been spoken to about it and has considered the option. What half decent young Pom hasnt wanted to try the NRL, unless they are scared of failure.

True - it is a cliche' reply though many decent young English players have not attempted the big move to Australia.

Scared of failure? Sure that will be part of it though packing up and moving half way around the world from family and friends comes in to it too. For alot more money, guys like Mathers, McGuire, Sculthorpe etc. are able to stay close to loved ones earning a tidy some playing the game they love in Super League.

All I will say there is plenty of time between now and the start of 2007 - Michael Searle didn't go to the UK for a holiday I am sure :) No, I have no 'inside word' to spread, though we have to assume Michael is going to the UK to 'talk' to some players of talent.

Again, Carty is only wanted the cream of the crop - whoever we look at will be an established talent or rising star who will add to the team on and off the field.

DeeGan

Lennox Titan
26-11-05, 12:06 PM
though we have to assume Michael is going to the UK to 'talk' to some players of talent.

Do you think this is something Michael has decided to do himself or is it a direct instruction from the NRL? what is better for the NRL comp is for England and ex Aussie players to come back. I have a feeling they were told to recruit from the UK when they were trying to gain entry.

DeeGan
26-11-05, 12:26 PM
Do you think this is something Michael has decided to do himself or is it a direct instruction from the NRL? what is better for the NRL comp is for England and ex Aussie players to come back. I have a feeling they were told to recruit from the UK when they were trying to gain entry.

I don't agree.

I would be of the opinion this is a Gold Coast Titans initiative, not a direct order from the NRL - the NRL grants us a license and ensures we stay within the set guidelines, we are responsible for making this franchise work and I am sure the strategy in place for recruitment was put together by Michael (Searle), Scott (Sattler), John (Cartwright) and Gilly (Trevor Gillmeister).

what is better for the NRL comp is for England and ex Aussie players to come back

I don't agree with this at all.

The depth in the NRL competition is at an all time high and I don't think one more NRL team being added to the competition in 2007 is going to have that big of an impact on the depth of this competition. If we were talking about 20 teams, yes we have problems, though one more team is going to fit quite comfortably.

Having English players coming over here to test themselves is of more benefit to the player, not the competition. With or without the UK players the competition is going to go from strength to strength in 2006 and beyond.

Ex-NRL players coming back is as above - better for them, not the competition. Sure, a Jamie Lyon, Michael Sullivan, Paul Rauhihi etc. is adding to the quality of a teams roster, though if they are not here there are stars willing to replace them as we have seen in recent times.

With Jamie Lyon deserting the Eels, we saw Willie Tonga, Ben Smith and now Brett Delaney emerge for example. Tonga is now a rep player, Ben Smith has emerged as a genuine centre prospect and Brett Delaney will be a rookie to make a big splash in 2006 with the Eels after impressing all at the end of 2005.

DeeGan

Lennox Titan
26-11-05, 06:29 PM
I think Souths could do with the likes of Vainikolo, Ali, Lyon, Solomona, Mckenna & Blacklock on thier roster.

Its fine the GC buying players from the Tigers but what if they take 2 or 3 from Souths or the Warriors? those teams lack depth as it is anyway. Being a one eyed GC fan its all fine but in the general interests of Rugby league in Australia I think bringing a few players back who are still in thier prime would be a good thing.

You are right about the NRL being able to produce talent. Year after year a superstar is thrown up. Slater, Marshall, SBW, Inglis. I just hope it continues and there is no more player drain overseas.

DeeGan
27-11-05, 09:41 AM
Being a one eyed GC fan its all fine but in the general interests of Rugby league in Australia I think bringing a few players back who are still in thier prime would be a good thing.

I would like to think the highlighted above is in no way directed at myself - if it is, I take offense as it is that far off the mark it would be deemed laughable by those who do actually know me.

I attended 18 NRL games in 2005, 2 State of Origin games and most Burleigh Bear games - not bad for a one eyed Titan fan.

I am not arguing that it is not a good thing in bring back a Jamie Lyon - let me clarify this part of my post: "Ex-NRL players coming back is as above - better for them, not the competition"

It is a win-win for both the player AND the NRL though when it comes down to it, it is more beneficial to the player more so than the NRL. That is the point I was getting at in my post.

If the player chooses to come here, great, the player will improve, the team who signs the player will improve as well. Though if the player does not come back to Australia, no big deal, we continue to move forward developing current and emerging talent producing the best rugby league competition in the world.

Depth wise - we are again IMO fine.

The NRL is the competition it is because it nurtures it's own talent at each club and at the grass roots of our game - the 'quick fix' approach adopted by Super League is a short term answer that will never see their competition reach it's potential.

Thankfully, NRL clubs will continue to have faith in their juniors and we will see the next wave of superstars unearthed in the years to come replacing the Lyons, McKennas, Sullivans etc eliminating the need to scour the Super League looking for talent.

If what you stated is the answer Lennox Titan - tell us, why haven't NRL clubs adopted your 'quick fix' solution?

DeeGan

Teegy
27-11-05, 09:50 AM
Nothing wrong with being one eyed deegs. I am and have been since GC were booted out of the comp

Research Station Drive
28-11-05, 04:09 PM
As Teegy said Greenshields could easily slot into 5/8. I'm not convinced about his ability to play wing at the highest level though...