PDA

View Full Version : Best player never to win a Dally M

broncosrule
09-09-08, 04:44 PM
Is Darren Lockyer the best ever never to win a Dally M or Rothmans Medal. Here is a few more names to through around, Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis played his best years in the QRL, Scott Prince, Benny Elias, Artie Beetson

kwigibo
09-09-08, 04:58 PM
Artie Beetson

Forwards never win.

Dummy Half
09-09-08, 09:13 PM
except cameron smith two years ago...
-

kwigibo
09-09-08, 09:51 PM
except cameron smith two years ago...
-

Forwards(excepting hookers of course) if you want to get caught up in semantics?

DIEHARD
09-09-08, 09:57 PM
The Dally M Awards is an awards night which aims to honour the finest players each year in the Australian National Rugby League competition. The awards were introduced in 1980 by News Limited. The most prestigious of these awards is the Dally M Medal and for rookies (Dally M Rookie Of the year) it is awarded to the Player Of The Year. As well as honouring the player of the year, the awards night also recognises the premier player in each position, the best coach, the best captain, representative player of the year and the most outstanding rookie of the season. The awards are named in honour of former Australian rugby league great Herbert Henry "Dally" Messenger.

News Limited journalists vote on the best performing players in each match on a 3, 2, 1 points system. The scores of the voting are visible to the public and media up until Round 16 of the NRL season. In 1998, following the merger of the Super League and the Australian Rugby League (ARL), the awards were re-introduced as the official awards of the newly formed National Rugby League. Prior to 1998, the official award of the game was voted on by the referees. These awards were known as the Rothmans Medal from 1968-1996 and the Nokia Provan-Summons Medal in 1997.

Between 1980 and 1996, when both the Dally M Medal and Rothmans Medal were awarded, the same player won both awards on only three occasions - Peter Sterling in 1987, Gavin Miller in 1989 and Ricky Stuart in 1993.

In 1997, when the game was split between the News Limited-organized Super League competition and the ARL, News Limited did not hold the awards.

The only other time the awards night has not been held was in 2003. Due to a dispute with the Rugby League Players Association, the NRL cancelled the Dally M awards two days prior to the ceremony. Previously, the players had threatened to boycott the event unless the NRL met their demands.

Robert Laurie, South Sydney

Steve Rogers, Cronulla Sharks

Ray Price, Parramatta Eels

Terry Lamb, Western Suburbs Magpies

Michael Potter, Bulldogs

Greg Alexander, Penrith Panthers

Peter Sterling, Parramatta Eels

Peter Sterling, Parramatta Eels

Gavin Miller, Cronulla Sharks

Gavin Miller, Cronulla Sharks

Cliff Lyons, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Michael Potter, St. George

Gary Freeman, Roosters

Ricky Stuart, Canberra Raiders

Cliff Lyons, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Laurie Daley, Canberra Raiders

Allan Langer, Brisbane Broncos

Andrew Johns, Newcastle Knights

Trent Barrett, St George Illawarra Dragons

Preston Campbell, Cronulla Sharks

No Dally M Awards...

Danny Buderus, Newcastle Knights

Johnathan Thurston, North Queensland Cowboys

Cameron Smith, Melbourne Storm

Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)

Chaos
09-09-08, 10:26 PM
wow...in the last 15 years, only the two hookers (Smith and Buderus) were the only non-halves to receive the Dally M.

goldcoastitans
10-09-08, 10:21 AM
wow...in the last 15 years, only the two hookers (Smith and Buderus) were the only non-halves to receive the Dally M.

i personally think that forwards should receive more points ..... im just giving Laffranchi as an example (not saying he deserves to win cause there are a lot of forwards that do)
but common ......691 tackles, 245 hit-ups, 12tries (most tries for our team)

to Matt Orford

285 tackles 1 hit-up 2 tries

Now according to that who has done more work this yr :eyebrows:

and again im not saying Laffranchi should have won ...i could take most forwards in the comp and compare them to the backs ....i just think for all the work they do they dont get a chance at the final reward!

i liked B.Slater when he was asked who would you have given you points to in your final game and he said i think i would give it to a forward like either B.White or J.Lima, because without those boys we would not be able to do what we do...........what a CHAMP!