PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Piggins is at it Again... Souths headed for Stalemate

Titanium_BD1103
25-11-05, 05:53 PM
Yep people..

Just watching 10 news sport.. and found out that...

George Piggins has apparently been in discussion with former Tennis star John Alexander, who is looking to invest 10 million dollars into Souths Leagues Club.

This deal would scuttle the deal by Peter Holmes A Court and Russell Crowe and apparently Piggins is very much leaning towards the Alexander deal.

CMON.. why can't this great club just have some quiet in their time.. I thought Souths were onward and forward.. but now this has occured, the club will spend more time arguing and fighting instead of working out a solution and becoming the great club it once was.. :(

This is not great news from Souths IMO.. this just means more board inhouse arguements and no solution.. but what does everyone else think ?

DIEHARD
25-11-05, 05:56 PM
Piggins is becoming a problem, getting in the way of the future of Souths.

Luckily he only controls a debt ridden Leagues Club and not the Football Club.

He needs to forget about this Redfern business, he is so far out of touch with what it takes to run a modern rugby league club it isn't funny any more.

Although I am curious about this deal with John Alexander...I'm keen for more information to surface.

Titanium_BD1103
25-11-05, 05:59 PM
Apparently according to that report.. he has a business management company that is looking to invest in a sporting club and have decided on Souths.. I am looking forward to more information surfacing about this one too.. ;)

DIEHARD
25-11-05, 06:07 PM
Apparently according to that report.. he has a business management company that is looking to invest in a sporting club and have decided on Souths.. I am looking forward to more information surfacing about this one too.. ;)

But won't that just add another party to the mix? Another interest to satisfy?

I think he is clutching at straws.

I just want the lot of 'em to unify with the one goal to further South Sydney.

League Freak
25-11-05, 06:48 PM
If Im Crowe....I walk away at this point.

That bloke as deadset done so much for Souths and he is one of the few people involved that just wants the clubs to do well.

Lennox Titan
25-11-05, 09:28 PM

I think you are on the money. If Souths dont get it together soon they may be gone again in 10 years. League needs them healthy. He may have saved them once but Piggins will have blood on his hands this time.

DIEHARD
26-11-05, 02:21 AM
Souths could be a massive club if run correctly, they have so much potential to fill stadiums and turbo charge crowd figures of other Sydney clubs.

But it feels like I'm waiting forever for this to happen. But 2005 wasn't a bad year to be a Bunny fan.

Dakink
26-11-05, 09:52 AM

That bloke as deadset done so much for Souths and he is one of the few people involved that just wants the clubs to do well.

Spot on - With out Crowe and Holmes Souths are in a pile of trouble. Piggins needs to remove himself from the situation and let Souths progress. It is time he took himself up on his offer to "back away if someone can bail out Souths".

Looks like he actually cant let go when it comes to the crunch.

I personally would love to see Souths either relocate to the CC and use the Bears as a feeder club (on offence Bears fans, I like the bears) OR Merge with the Bears in 1st grade and both clubs continue in Premier League.

Titanium_BD1103
26-11-05, 10:36 AM
Here is more news on this deal and more stuff to come in the News Limited Papers Tomorrow.. not sure if it is believable but it all we have got at this stage.. ;)

From James Hooper (Journo, Daily Telegraph) on Whistle and Hooters Sports Show on WSFM this morning.

- The Plan John Alexander has is to build a leisure centre, through his arcatechural company at South Sydney Leagues Club, with the hope then of convincing the council to redevelop Redfern Oval to a state where it can have games there.

- THE OTHER big news.. Apparently according to Hooper, The Heads at South Sydney Leagues, Football and Juniors Club see the Holmes A Court Idea as a near IMPOSSIBILITY... there is no chance of it occur, it is too much of a hard headed deal that no one can agree on and so is bound for the scrap heap...

Looks like Souths are headed for another boardroom showdown.. and that is not good news for this great club.. :(

Titanium_BD1103
28-11-05, 01:06 PM
Here is the news that came out yesterday, for those who didn't get to read it and yes it seems sadly that Souths are headed for another stoush again... :(

From smh.com.au

Bunnies row hots up again

By Andrew Webster
November 27, 2005

THE on-again, off-again internal feud between factions at foundation club South Sydney is on again.

Although they have received a $3 million deal from the cashed-up Souths Juniors and a revolutionary proposal from multimillionaire pairing of businessman Peter Holmes a Court and actor Russell Crowe, confusion reigns at Redfern.

The Juniors have said they will not accept the plan if it involves the embattled Souths Leagues Club.

Holmes a Court is to front the leagues club board on Wednesday night to explain his Rabbitohs dream, which includes underwriting $7.5 million of debt and $3 million for a refurbishment of the premises.

But Rabbitohs patriarch George Piggins says there will be no deal done if Holmes a Court and Crowe do not support having the side play at Redfern Oval.

Now Piggins is considering a business deal with Australian tennis icon John Alexander to build a gym and fitness centre at the club in Chalmers Street.

Juniors chairman Keith McCraw confirmed that any acceptance of a restructure of the clubs would not go ahead if the leagues club was involved.

"We have no interest at all in being involved with them," he said. "We are not in a position to do it.Our interest is in helping out the football club, which we have recently done."

Asked if entering an agreement with Piggins was a factor, McCraw said: "Not at all. I've got the greatest respect for George Piggins. We haven't always agreed but this is not about a personality clash."

Holmes a Court's proposal faces opposition from Piggins because it doesn't endorse his plan for Redfern Oval to be used for NRL matches.

Instead, the Holmes a Court camp has endorsed Lord Mayor Clover Moore's plan to turn the ground into a training facility.

"If the man [Holmes a Court] put an offer on the table that's too good to refuse, we'd have to consider it," Piggins said of the meeting on Wednesday. "But it would have to be a super offer.

"What we'd like is for Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court to stop supporting Clover Moore and back our move.

"We want them to show their cards. All we know is that they want to take Redfern Oval away from the people of South Sydney."

Holmes a Court advised Souths chairman Nick Pappas on Tuesday that his proposal to bring the three parts of the Souths family together was not contingent on the leagues club's support.

Alexander has held several meetings with Piggins and his proposal involves building a gym, health facilities and possibly an indoor pool.

From Sunday Telegraph.com.au

Redfern will make Souths stronger
By DAVID RICCIO
November 27, 2005

WIGAN-bound forward Bryan Fletcher believes the Rabbitohs can become an NRL heavyweight if they return to Redfern.

Fletcher leaves for Wigan on Tuesday hoping that Souths legend George Piggins can overturn the Sydney City Council's rejection of the club's plan for a 12,000-seat stadium.

"It would be unreal to play out of a home ground at Redfern. It would make us a much stronger club," Fletcher said. "We don't have any home-ground advantage at Aussie Stadium. The Roosters were the same, and I know other teams don't fear going there."

The former Australian representative added that he was reluctant to support the Rabbitohs' move from Aussie Stadium to Telstra Stadium next season.

"It's a shame the club has decided to move to Homebush," Fletcher said. "I know financially it's been great but I don't know. I've had a few people say they've watched State of Origin games there and said it's terrible."

Fletcher also applauded the latest move from Peter Holmes a Court, Russell Crowe and John Alexander to rebuild the Rabbitohs.

"It would be only a good thing," Fletcher said. "It's public knowledge that Souths have been struggling financially and these guys are putting the money up and are prepared to back themselves. They're really good blokes, too, and only have the club at heart."

In an effort to maintain his fitness ahead of his arrival at Wigan, Fletcher has been training with the Rabbitohs since they started pre-season training on November 7.

After two lean seasons with the Rabbitohs, Fletcher is adamant he is leaving the club in better shape than when he arrived.

"It has improved out of sight since the first year I came here," Fletcher said.

"Even though we didn't win as many games as I would have liked, I have no regrets."

Dakink
28-11-05, 03:04 PM
Crap - this poor club goes from bad to worse. they are so far from being a force let alone winning a comp its not funny!

In-Cyde #1
28-11-05, 06:43 PM
It amazes me how most people on this forum and people in the media all recognise that Souths is messed up, yet one man (Piggins) seems to still be there opening his mouth to change feet. What are the Souths members doing?
Nothing. ......Beats me.

Steelers
28-11-05, 07:22 PM
I feel for Souths, I really do. They need to get rid of Piggins and move on from Redfern. They need to look towards the near and distant future, not live in the past.

ridgey
28-11-05, 08:59 PM
i can't believe no-one has strung piggins up from a yard arm and got rid of him good and proper.he's an old fool who just can't let go.he's arthurson,quayle and ribot rolled into 1.in other words a massive pain in the bunnies ASS!

Titanium_BD1103
01-12-05, 09:46 AM
Finally everyone.. there is some good news.. the Holmes A Court deal apparently has been recieved well by everyone.. include Piggins and the parties may all come together to do something and ensure that GLORY GLORY TO SOUTH SYDNEY, SOUTH SYDNEYS MARCHING ON.. :clap: :clap:

From foxsports.news.com.au

Souths takeover moves closer
By Brent Read
December 1, 2005

MILLIONAIRE businessman Peter Holmes a Court will put a formal proposal to South Sydney Leagues Club next week after holding what he described as a "ripper" meeting with Rabbitohs patriarch George Piggins last night.

Holmes a Court met leagues club president Piggins and members of the board in an attempt to shore up support for his takeover of the football club.

Piggins' backing is seen as crucial for Holmes a Court, who is in partnership with actor Russell Crowe. Holmes a Court had previously offered to take over the leagues club debt, understood to be as much as $7.5 million, and provide $3 million for renovation of the club in return for their support.

Piggins, however, dismissed the offer, claiming the leagues club was worth more.

Clouding the issue is Holmes a Court's desire to have Redfern Oval used as a training facility only and a counter-offer from tennis great John Alexander, who is understood to be willing to put $10 million into the leagues club.

"It was a positive meeting," Holmes a Court said last night.

"I feel there was a good response. They have asked for a formal proposal. We are going to continue to work with them in a positive fashion.

"I think we had a ripper of a meeting."

In other news at Souths yesterday, five-eighth John Sutton will retain the vice-captaincy despite being fined by the club for unruly behaviour at a Sydney bowling club.

Sutton and Stuart Webb were reprimanded and fined after the Rabbitohs received a letter from Erskineville Bowling Club alleging the pair used bad language in front of patrons.

Souths officials stressed no damage was done to patrons or the premises.

"We have investigated the situation and we've deemed the players' conduct to be unacceptable according to the Erskineville Bowling Club's guidelines," South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said.

"No damage was done to the club or patrons, however we do respect the club's rules and have therefore reprimanded and fined the players."

Sutton is regarded as one of the game's emerging stars and was only recently appointed vice-captain.

The Rabbitohs have called on fans and residents to show their support for the club's redevelopment of Redfern Oval at a rally on Sunday.

Souths, in conjunction with the PCYC, want to turn the dilapidated ground into a venue capable of housing 12,000 fans and hosting NRL games.

The City of Sydney council has rejected the proposal, voting for a reduced capacity which would incorporate state-of-the-art training facilities.

The Australian

Queenslander
01-12-05, 11:16 AM
PETER Holmes a Court's audacious bid for South Sydney Leagues Club passed first base with flying colours last night.

The millionaire businessman emerged from a two-hour meeting with the embattled club's board all smiles after being asked to translate his rich proposal to a formal offer.

"I think we got a really good response," Holmes a Court said.

"We'll put our proposal to them. Hopefully they will review it and take it to their members one day."

Given that Holmes a Court's plan appeared to be out of favour with leagues club president George Piggins, the positive result was a surprise.

But Piggins emerged "quite interested" in doing business with Holmes a Court, whose proposal is supported by Hollywood actor and close friend Russell Crowe.

"It was very enlightening. It was a little bit better than what we thought it was going to be," Piggins said.

"Earlier letters looked as though Peter Holmes a Court was going to take the members' club off them, but its entirely different.

"It's a lot better. It will give us a steady stream of income which we've never had before."

Holmes a Court's original plan included $7.5 million to repay the club's current debt and $3 million for renovations. Piggins said the mooted renovations involved new offices, the rent towards which would be used to repay the loan and support the football club.
While he declined to discuss exact figures, Holmes a Court is understood to have submitted a higher bid at last night's meeting in the wake of a rival offer from tennis great John Alexander.

But Piggins was hoping to change Holmes a Court's refusal to back a 12,000 seat NRL-standard Redfern Oval.

Both Piggins and Holmes a Court also left the door open for a combined funding plan with Alexander.

"Maybe we might be able to put the two proposals together," Piggins said. "Peter can do the building and John can rent it off us."
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17420632-23214,00.html

Titanium_BD1103
01-12-05, 11:51 AM
Thanks Queenslander.. just noticed that was the wrong article and didn't get the crux of the arguement.. but all good news it is for Souths.. :D :D