PDA

View Full Version : Asotasi set to miss World Cup

DIEHARD
30-08-08, 04:59 PM
Asotasi set to miss World Cup

NEW Zealand captain Roy Asotasi is likely to miss the rugby league World Cup after suffering a suspected torn pectoral muscle in his team's 22-20 loss to Sydney Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium.

The incident occurred in the closing seconds of the game when Asotasi was tackled while carrying the ball. The Rabbitohs camp suggested their leader could have been the victim of a "chicken wing" tackle.

"We are going need to check the tackle," South Sydney coach Jason Taylor said.

Asotasi is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Saturday, but he and South Sydney director of high performance Errol Alcott both fear the worst.

"It's a suspected pectoral muscle tear," Alcott said.

"Clinically it looks like he's got a deformity there and that suggests there is a muscle tear."

Alcott said that such an injury normally required an 18- to 22-week recovery period, which would sideline Asotasi from the World Cup in October and November.

"It was the last run of the game," Asotasi said.

"I got the ball and got tackled and when I got up it just felt weak straight away.

"The chance (of me playing at the World Cup) is pretty slim, I feel the heartbreak already."

The news was also received with solemnity by the strong New Zealand contingent in the Roosters squad.

"He's in good form at the moment so it's going to be a blow to us," Roosters full-back and New Zealand squad member Sam Perrett said.

Asotasi's anticipated absence from the tournament is yet another blow to the Kiwis.

"(Asotasi) is one our leaders, Frank Pritchard is in doubt at the moment and we've lost Sonny Bill Williams, but we've still got a lot of good players,'' Sia Soliola said.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
30-08-08, 05:01 PM
Devastating news for the Kiwis and the World Cup tournament.

The Kiwis have lost Asotasi and SBW now.

quins rl
30-08-08, 05:08 PM
I think thats a real body blow,and any chance the Kiwis had was gonna rely heavily on Roy!

DIEHARD
30-08-08, 05:15 PM
England shares soaring...

Paul
30-08-08, 05:35 PM
Interesting stuff,I wonder how much injuries will play a part in the WC.

GO PNG at skilled park. I'd love an upset like that especially since I'll be there supporting PNG

quins rl
31-08-08, 06:39 PM
England shares soaring...
We will take any advantage that we can get ;) ,dont like to see any of the top players missing though from any country as i really want this world cup to showcase the talent we have in our game,and Asotasi for me is one of the best in the business,so in a weird way,i will be hoping he makes it somehow.I think England v NZ should be a close game between two evenly matched teams.

TITAN PETE
31-08-08, 08:59 PM
We will take any advantage that we can get ;) ,dont like to see any of the top players missing though from any country as i really want this world cup to showcase the talent we have in our game,and Asotasi for me is one of the best in the business,so in a weird way,i will be hoping he makes it somehow.I think England v NZ should be a close game between two evenly matched teams.

Looks like the Poms will be making room for the World Cup Runner Up Trophy if they can get over the Warriors :laugh: