PDA

View Full Version : Stats show Titans only 12 points short of finals

DIEHARD
27-08-08, 12:13 AM
Stats show Titans only 12 points short of finals

AFTER 1760 gruelling minutes of football and more than 800 hours slugging it out on the training paddock this season, all that separates the Titans from an historic finals berth is 12 measly points.

Titans close calls:

13-12 to Knights (round 8)

20-18 to Tigers (round 11)

24-23 to Souths (round 15)

26-22 to Dragons (round 16)

25-21 to Broncos (round 24)

In a heart-breaking statistic, The Gold Coast Bulletin can reveal if the Gold Coasters could have rustled up another dozen points when it counted, they would be planning their charge at the premiership instead of organising their end of season trip.

"I know Carty (Titans coach John Cartwright) is disappointed that we are not contesting the finals series, and the players are disappointed because that is what you play for," said Titans assistant coach Steve Murphy.

"Your whole mindset is about playing the big games at the back end of the year and when you are not playing in them you see it as a failure.

"We will look back on this year and see it as one of missed opportunities.

"Some of it wasn't our own fault of course with injury and suspension and certain things derailing us. But you have to be able to respond to those things."

The Coast lost five games this season by four points or less, including one-point defeats to Newcastle and Souths.

In all five matches they lost by a combined total of just 12 points. In three of the five games they were leading at half-time.

If they had won those tight clashes the Titans would now be entrenched in the top four, just two competition points behind NRL leaders Melbourne and on level pegging with premiership powerhouse Manly.

Instead, they are sitting in 13th spot with their finals hopes crushed and still hurting following Friday night's devastating golden-point loss to Brisbane.

"After the season is finished we will probably identify a few games we could have won," said Murphy.

"The Newcastle game probably springs to mind as one we probably should have won down there.

"The Souths game too was another bad loss for us, but you can't dwell on those things. Carty made a good point after that (Brisbane) game when he spoke to the players and said, `that is the effort you have got to demand from yourselves regardless of if you are playing at ANZ Stadium with 5000 people as opposed to 40,000 people at Suncorp'.

"If we played with the same intent and attitude as we did on Friday night in Sydney against Souths we would have flogged them."

There is still an extremely slim chance the Titans could limp into the top eight. To miraculously scrape in they would need to win their last two games against Manly and the Tigers and hope the Knights and Eels both lose their remaining matches.

The Coast also need the Panthers to beat the Warriors this weekend, while hoping Penrith fall the following week against Manly.

But the fact that just 12 points is what separates the Titans' season from something stellar and the cellar shows just how close they came to giving the competition a shake this season.

"All I can say is that from a training perspective our attitude hasn't dropped off," said Murphy.

"The players trained enormously today and I can't see our attitude or effort changing ... We will be holding on like we are still a chance."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
27-08-08, 12:15 AM
Doesn't really make the pain any easier. So many close calls. Just goes to show how every try and every try conceded counts these days. Absolutely no margin for error at any stage of the year.

The Souths and Knights games were particularly painful.

Especially considering we had basically a full strength side fielded against the Bunnies and we still got done. It all went down hill from there.

Ryan
27-08-08, 06:37 AM
Doesn't really make the pain any easier. So many close calls. Just goes to show how every try and every try conceded counts these days. Absolutely no margin for error at any stage of the year.

The Souths and Knights games were particularly painful.

Especially considering we had basically a full strength side fielded against the Bunnies and we still got done. It all went down hill from there.
Just goes to show that one referees decision early in the year can affect the outcome of the final series. Anyone remember the penalty against Brads Meyers in the 1pt loss to Newcastle? :(

kwigibo
27-08-08, 10:19 AM
Just goes to show that one referees decision early in the year can affect the outcome of the final series. Anyone remember the penalty against Brads Meyers in the 1pt loss to Newcastle? :(

The penalty to Atkins against the bunnies was a boneheaded call too.

Paul
27-08-08, 10:33 AM
...and if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle

Stats like this are pointless,the only points that matter are the 2 competition points. If we lost by a point for all 26 games you could say "oh well,we were only a few points away from the finals" but we'd be on zero

We've had favourable calls this season as well as them going against us,It's part of the game and usually over a full season it all evens out so pointing out individual calls during this year which went against us is not looking at the big picture (imo)

The truth is in alot of the close games we ended up falling just short (mainly due to our big injury list) so its something we need to work on.We also need to close out games when we take a decent lead,we seem to let teams back into games that we should run away with.

Coaster
27-08-08, 10:52 AM
The point is relivent i believe.

When we look at our season, its easy to say we were beaten by injuries, but the fact is that we dropped at least 3 games (newcastle, souths and tigers) when we had a full strength team, and had the game there to win.

Those 6 comp points are what seperated us from the finals.

I dont count the Broncos game, as i dont think we could have played much better given our playing roster, but if we had played against those 3 above teams with half the intensity shown last Friday, then we would have won easily.

It is about consistancy, the boys learnt a valuable lesson this year.

Paul
27-08-08, 12:12 PM
I agree that we certainly need to find more consistancy.Any team who wants to win this competition has to be consistant,even when teams like melbourne have an "off day" they grind out wins & we need to have that mindset but in all honesty injuries did kill our season off in 08.It wasn't the odd injury here and there,It was major injuries to major stars and all at the same time. It's a credit to the boys they are still mathematically in the hunt for finals time.

As for those 3 winnable games you posted,I agree we could have won them but the beauty of the NRL for me is any team can beat any other team on the day.We've had some luck this season(playing melbournes c grade team during origin) and a few unlikely wins against more fancied opponents with our understrengthed side (roosters away for example) so like I said it usually evens out over the season.
The past 6 weeks when the boys dropped their heads and got walloped a few times really put the nail in the coffin.
I'm glad they bounced back with some spirit the past 2 weeks though,Hopefully we can knock manly off this weekend then destroy the tigers:thumbsup:

eelectrica
27-08-08, 05:15 PM
I think at the end of the season every team that misses out all have a few close ones that got away.

The thing that's surprised me and disappointed me the most is how we've not finished things off at the end of games. With Billy Johnstone as our trainer I thought we were supposed to finish on top of teams. It hasn't worked out that way and if anything has been the other way around.

But yes our players have learnt some valuable lessons this year I think.

kwigibo
27-08-08, 08:59 PM
The thing that's surprised me and disappointed me the most is how we've not finished things off at the end of games. With Billy Johnstone as our trainer I thought we were supposed to finish on top of teams. It hasn't worked out that way and if anything has been the other way around.

Cartwright never picks enough pointscorers. The Eels for example, for all their other faults, have points all over the park, so scoring is not a problem for a team like that. A lot of times this year half our team has never looked like scoring unless Prince put them through a hole 5 metres out.