PDA

View Full Version : Preston broken cheek?

amaline
23-08-08, 12:42 PM
Heard on the radio that Preston broke his cheek last night and that'd be his season over? Not that the season would have lasted much longer anyway, but seems like a bad way to end what has been an awesome season for him.

*Actually, I think they said it was a broken jaw.

patskE
23-08-08, 12:53 PM
man i been one of those fans who dont want presto at fullback n rather see him at five-eighth
but jeez, past few weeks been thinking it wouldnt be the same. sure we have zillman n walker next year, but wow. every time presto has the ball, i dnt know about you guys but iam on the edge of my feet every time. his one of the main reason y i started to follow, i jsut love him!
gooooooooo PRESTO!

daveyk
23-08-08, 12:58 PM
man i been one of those fans who dont want presto at fullback n rather see him at five-eighth
but jeez, past few weeks been thinking it wouldnt be the same. sure we have zillman n walker next year, but wow. every time presto has the ball, i dnt know about you guys but iam on the edge of my feet every time. his one of the main reason y i started to follow, i jsut love him!
gooooooooo PRESTO!

well said... he has truly been nothing more than electric of late.... if zillman or walker go to fullback next year, they sure do have some MASSIVE shoes to fill

i just hope that the reports of presto's season being over is just rumour and there is no truth to it

patskE
23-08-08, 02:47 PM
i jsut heard of my cous who works for big league that campbell broke his jaw
his out for rest of season :(

CanberraTitan
23-08-08, 03:09 PM
well said... he has truly been nothing more than electric of late.... if zillman or walker go to fullback next year, they sure do have some MASSIVE shoes to fill

i just hope that the reports of presto's season being over is just rumour and there is no truth to it

Living in canberra i attend most of the raiders games, Zillmans issue from waht i have seen is his attitude in defence, doesn't seem to try hard enough when someone breaks through the line, His attack is excellent, I have watched on many occasions(normally once or twice a game where he does what presto did last night, If he can stay injury free, works on his defence, he will be a star of the future.

as for walker i don't think he has done enough this year to suggest he will be in the first grade squad next year.

patskE
23-08-08, 03:23 PM
thats wat was got gilly for!
walker prob get a shot this year with presto being out

Paul
23-08-08, 04:43 PM
Preston is and has been my favourite player since he signed for Penrith all those years ago. Last night he was simply superb and to move him from FB next season would be a huge mistake.

The bloke is a genius and every time I've met him he's been absolutely fantastic.

for me next year Rogers to centre,Zillman to 5/8th and Presto at FB

eelectrica
23-08-08, 07:28 PM
Rotten way for Presto to spend his off season with a broken jaw if the reports are true.
He would have been fun to watch against the Tigers in the final round. Ok so he's always fun to watch, but even moreso given the Tigers recent form.

RLfan
24-08-08, 08:22 AM
Preston was probably man of the match too, what a player.

Steve
24-08-08, 10:15 AM
Trevor Gillmeister | August 24, 2008 12:04am

THERE are times when you can feel a bit disappointed about rugby league, but Friday night was not one of them.
The quality of the game, and of Preston Campbell, made it easy to remember why we love footy so much.

I get sick of reading about people like Sonny Bill Williams treating the game with contempt. I get sick of people like Willie Mason shooting his mouth off.

Sometimes you wonder if the game has lost its way.

And then, on nights like Friday, blokes like Presto remind you there is a hell of a lot of good in the game that doesn't make the headlines.

Just before halftime, Preston grabbed me on the field and said his jaw was a bit sore.

When we got to the sheds at the break, he never mentioned it. John Cartwright did his halftime address, and the team was getting ready to go back out when Presto finally went and saw the doctor.

"Doc," he said, "I don't know, but I think my jaw's a bit out of line."

Sure enough, it was broken. Again, Preston said nothing but ran back out with his mates to try to win the game.

A couple of times during the second half I checked on him to see how he was going.

"It's a bit sore," he told me, "but we've got a game to win."

The thing about Preston is not just that he is a wonderful player, incredibly brave and a super bloke. Not to mention the fact that he is incredibly humble.

But the things he does that people -- not even his teammates -- would not know about, like visiting sick kids in hospital is amazing, but largely unacknowledged.

He's a player kids can relate to and mums love because it shows you don't have to be built like a giant to succeed.

If league's administrators were smart, they would be knocking on Preston's door and telling him he had a job in the game as soon as he decided to hang up the boots.

That might not be for another four years, but the NRL should be prepared to wait.

At a time when games can be decided by blokes laying down pretending to be hurt, we should be doing everything we can to make sure the NRL hangs on to blokes like Preston who never lay down, never give in and never seek the spotlight.

Young players could not just learn a lot from Preston. They could learn everything.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24229435-5016365,00.html

Steve
24-08-08, 10:17 AM
He played more than half the game with a broken jaw and still tore the Broncos apart. He really is nothing short of amazing.

eelectrica
24-08-08, 10:23 AM
Wow. Damn gutsy performance.
Wouldn't know he had a broken jaw from watching him.

Paul
24-08-08, 10:26 AM
excellent article

they were all giving him a wrap on the footy show today as well

Steve
24-08-08, 10:28 AM
Peter Badel | August 24, 2008 12:00am

TITANS dynamo Preston Campbell produced one of the most heroic displays in 40 years by playing 43 minutes with a broken jaw against the Broncos.
In a remarkable act of bravery, Campbell ignored medical advice that he sit out the second half after copping a blow to the left side of his face against the Broncos.

Desperate to help save the Titans' season, Campbell refused to tell coach John Cartwright or teammates of his plight.

The pint-sized custodian produced a magnificent second half with a series of trademark kick returns but his courage went unrewarded as the Titans went down 25-21 in extra time.

After the match Campbell indicated he had broken his jaw and scans yesterday confirmed his worst fears, wiping him out for the rest of the season.

Titans medical staff confirmed Campbell would have a plate inserted tomorrow, before a two-month recovery.

Campbell's courage evokes comparisons with legendary Souths forward John Sattler, who played 70 minutes of the 1970 grand final against Manly with a broken jaw.

"No one knew about it but myself and the doc," Campbell said. "I didn't tell anyone.

"I'm pretty down. I'm on some painkillers. I wanted to finish the season with the boys but I won't be able to do that now."

The 31-year-old said he had no recollection of the blow that prompted him to consult Titans doctor Paul Ohmsen at halftime.

"I don't know how it happened, I just copped a whack and all of a sudden my jaw locked up and wouldn't move," he said.

"I knew there was a problem there. I can't align the top of my mouth with the bottom of my jaw. It hurts to bite down and even opening my mouth. I think my jaw may have just popped out and popped back in. I saw the doctor at halftime and he didn't want me to go back on, but I didn't give him a choice.

"I was out there before he could stop me.

"I was hoping I wouldn't get another knock around the head in the second half and I didn't, so

I'm thankful it wasn't worse."

Titans coach Cartwright was in awe of Campbell's incredible contribution under duress against the Broncos.

The premiership-winning utility has been in the wars throughout the season. He has battled ankle ligament damage and in May experienced temporary memory loss after suffering concussion.

"I thought he was probably the best player on the field," Cartwright said.

"He did an enormous amount of work. It was high energy, he was brave, he's been like that all year."

Gold Coast teammate Scott Prince said Campbell was without question the toughest player in the code.

"Presto said nothing to us. He's a freak," Prince said.

"One of Presto's greatest strengths is his ability to play injured. Some people can't play through the pain barrier but Presto is one of those special blokes who can do it.

"He's been unbelievable this season. The game keeps getting faster and the young blokes coming through keep getting bigger but Presto doesn't just compete with them, he still dominates games.

"Throughout our injury crisis this year, Presto was the one bloke holding us together."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24229433-5003409,00.html

Paul
24-08-08, 10:30 AM
I really,really hope Preston can make a "chris walker like" visit to us at the fence before the tigers game so we can all tell him how amazing he's been this season

Steve
24-08-08, 10:37 AM
I really,really hope Preston can make a "chris walker like" visit to us at the fence before the tigers game so we can all tell him how amazing he's been this season

Definitely.

Although knowing Presto he'll then be at the fence all game signing autographs until someone pulls him away!

BringBackWillie
24-08-08, 01:21 PM
Preston has and always will be a great ambassador for the game. I think he is clearly under-rated by everyone in the league.

They reckon Willie Mason and SBW are tough.... :nope: ***blah *** blah *** blah ***

Steve
25-08-08, 07:55 AM
Luke Turgeon

August 25th, 2008

LEGENDARY rugby league hardman John Sattler believes Titans hero Preston Campbell deserves to be hailed as one of the toughest players of all time.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs immortal yesterday described Campbell's courage to play with a broken jaw against the Broncos on Friday night as the ultimate act of bravery well beyond the call of duty.

"Some of the sooks these days, as soon as they get a scratched knee they want to go off," said Sattler.

"And then you have a little fella like him who has a broken jaw but keeps bringing it back from the fullback and getting slammed.

"Every time he's tackled it is more or less a real bashing isn't it, because he is so tiny.

"I got the shock of my life when I found out he played with a broken jaw because he played the bloody house down. He is incredibly brave.

"I just can't stop applauding him. It is a marvellous effort."

The pint-sized Titans fullback's effort to play 43 minutes with a fractured jaw has been compared to Sattler's legendary performance in the 1970 grand final to defeat Manly. He played 70 minutes with his jaw broken in three places.

The man himself said Campbell deserved to be put on a level pegging.

"Anybody that can do that is terrific, and that is not giving myself a wrap," said Sattler.

"But for a little fella like him to do it is just great stuff. It is a bloody big effort.

"He didn't stop either, he just kept going 100 miles and hour the whole way through. He never takes a backwards step and is always brave."

Sattler said that Campbell would have been going through immense pain during the game, but would have had to block out any thoughts of self preservation to continue playing the way he did.

"It should just really pull this side together now.

"Having a man being as little as he is and as brave should just be another big giant step forward for the club."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/08/25/15505_gold-coast-titans.html

goldcoastitans
25-08-08, 08:24 AM
^
^
^
thats a friggen great article ....he played his best game of the season with that broken jaw IMO and im pretty sure everyone that was at the game can agree with me that everytime he got the ball we were jumping out of our seats!!
GREAT WORK FROM THE SMALL MAN!

TITAN PETE
25-08-08, 11:29 AM
Thats a great article from probably the hardest player ever to pull on a league jersey & to put the pocket rocket Presto in that tough man catagory is Brilliant :fist: , well done Satts & Presto :salute:

patskE
25-08-08, 03:40 PM
Titans offer brave Preston job for life

Luke Turgeon

August 25th, 2008

AN emotional Titans boss Michael Searle has extended an invitation for courageous veteran Preston Campbell to continue playing for the Gold Coast as long as he wants following his incredible injury-defying feat against the Broncos.

In the toughest performance of the past 40 years, Campbell played the entire second half of Friday night's heart-breaking golden-point loss with a broken jaw as he bravely battled to save the Titans' season.
Have your say on the feedback form below

As the gutsy fullback prepared to undergo surgery today to repair the damage, Titans managing director Searle declared the 31-year-old -- who is off-contract next season -- need never worry about his playing future again.

"He has got another year but if he wants to play until he is 35, or as long as he wants, he can," said Searle.

"He can just tell me when he wants to stop as far as I am concerned.

"He has earned that right given not only for his services for our club but the game of rugby league.

"But by the same token, if he turned around and said he wanted to retire tomorrow, we would find a role for him within the club.

"There will always be a role for Preston Campbell in our club."

Searle spent the weekend watching replays of the 25-21 defeat, which effectively ended the slim hopes the Titans had of making the finals.

But instead of despairing over the disappearance of their finals dream, Searle marvelled at the spirit shown by Campbell, who despite a broken jaw was the best player on the park for the Gold Coast.

"Preston had about 15 carries with a broken jaw and they weren't small carries, they were returning the ball at speed," said Searle.

"To me it was an incredible feat.

"It indicates how incredible a person Preston Campbell is and how devoted he is to the club and to his teammates.

"It is a very humbling thing not only for the other players but also the club and the fans, to think that a guy has that much character that they are prepared to put the club and the team before themselves."

Realising he had badly damaged his jaw, Campbell consulted team medical staff at half-time but kept his injury secret from most of the playing group and coach John Cartwright.

Renowned as one of the game's toughest players during 11 years with Penrith, Cartwright was blown away when told of the news after the match.

"I was talking to Presto after the game and he was talking to me through clenched teeth and I just thought he had split his lip," said Cartwright.

"I always check with the doctor as the last thing I do before I leave and I asked him 'have we got any injuries' and he said 'yeah, Presto broke his jaw'.

"I said 'at what stage of the game did he do that?' and he said 'well, he did it in the first half'.

"At that moment I was in shock.

"Anyone who has had a broken bone will know the pain that you feel.

"Then to be playing a game of football with it, especially a facial fracture, is incredible."

And Cartwright backed Searle's stance that Campbell had a future with the club for as long as he wanted.

kwigibo
25-08-08, 03:45 PM
Titans offer brave Preston job for life

Luke Turgeon

August 25th, 2008

AN emotional Titans boss Michael Searle has extended an invitation for courageous veteran Preston Campbell to continue playing for the Gold Coast as long as he wants following his incredible injury-defying feat against the Broncos.

In the toughest performance of the past 40 years, Campbell played the entire second half of Friday night's heart-breaking golden-point loss with a broken jaw as he bravely battled to save the Titans' season.
Have your say on the feedback form below

As the gutsy fullback prepared to undergo surgery today to repair the damage, Titans managing director Searle declared the 31-year-old -- who is off-contract next season -- need never worry about his playing future again.

"He has got another year but if he wants to play until he is 35, or as long as he wants, he can," said Searle.

"He can just tell me when he wants to stop as far as I am concerned.

"He has earned that right given not only for his services for our club but the game of rugby league.

"But by the same token, if he turned around and said he wanted to retire tomorrow, we would find a role for him within the club.

"There will always be a role for Preston Campbell in our club."

Searle spent the weekend watching replays of the 25-21 defeat, which effectively ended the slim hopes the Titans had of making the finals.

But instead of despairing over the disappearance of their finals dream, Searle marvelled at the spirit shown by Campbell, who despite a broken jaw was the best player on the park for the Gold Coast.

"Preston had about 15 carries with a broken jaw and they weren't small carries, they were returning the ball at speed," said Searle.

"To me it was an incredible feat.

"It indicates how incredible a person Preston Campbell is and how devoted he is to the club and to his teammates.

"It is a very humbling thing not only for the other players but also the club and the fans, to think that a guy has that much character that they are prepared to put the club and the team before themselves."

Realising he had badly damaged his jaw, Campbell consulted team medical staff at half-time but kept his injury secret from most of the playing group and coach John Cartwright.

Renowned as one of the game's toughest players during 11 years with Penrith, Cartwright was blown away when told of the news after the match.

"I was talking to Presto after the game and he was talking to me through clenched teeth and I just thought he had split his lip," said Cartwright.

"I always check with the doctor as the last thing I do before I leave and I asked him 'have we got any injuries' and he said 'yeah, Presto broke his jaw'.

"I said 'at what stage of the game did he do that?' and he said 'well, he did it in the first half'.

"At that moment I was in shock.

"Anyone who has had a broken bone will know the pain that you feel.

"Then to be playing a game of football with it, especially a facial fracture, is incredible."

And Cartwright backed Searle's stance that Campbell had a future with the club for as long as he wanted.

And if he ever needs a kidney... :D

Paul
25-08-08, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure that "job offer for life" is an old story.I have read it earlier this season and I know I read a column months ago where Carty said he had told preston he would have a contract as long as he wanted as a player because his presence is that huge in the team & that he was the nicest guy in football to be around.

I'm glad he's finally getting some real recognition on a broader scale now

kwigibo
25-08-08, 03:52 PM
& that he was the nicest guy in football to be around.

He always gives us a wave and a thumbs up, and i think he likes his banner, he picked us out at Suncorp.

DIEHARD
26-08-08, 10:40 AM
Preston is an absolute rugby league legend in all respects. On and off the field. A brilliant footy player and human being.

It's a huge honour, a much deserved one, to see Michael Searle say such things about him.

I hope he plays as long as he wants as well and after that works for the club.

C-Whiz
31-08-08, 07:05 PM
I don't think it's a secret how much I admire Preston Campbell, as a footballer and more importantly as a human being. He is one of the greatest role models for everyone, with the combination of having the rarest of top level football talent combined with the character of a true gentleman and the courage of a real hero.

As the original Gold Coast signing he represents everything that is good about the game and future club members would do well to try and live up to his example. As would all of us in our daily endeavours.

He is a true icon of Rugby League and will long be remembered as one of the best and fairest to ever lace a boot and grace a Rugby League field.

Stay long and proud with the Titans Presto! We all love ya!