PDA

View Full Version : Titans' teenager in line to debut at sweet 16

Tamwelg
08-08-08, 06:07 AM
Titans' teenager in line to debut at sweet 16

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/2008/08/08/titans-teen0808.jpg

Luke Turgeon

August 8th, 2008

SPECULATION is rife the Gold Coast Titans are considering whether to drop a selection bombshell and hand Australian Schoolboys five-eighth Jordan Rankin his NRL debut against the Knights on Monday in a desperate attempt to keep their season alive.

The Titans are believed to be weighing up the shock move after the 16-year-old Palm Beach Currumbin High School Year 11 student had a successful run with the club's first grade squad on Wednesday.

The Gold Coast Bulletin understands Rankin, who has starred for both the Titans SG Ball under-18 side and Toyota Cup under-20s this year, will re-join the top side for a training session behind closed doors at The Southport School today.

But Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday poured cold water on the rumours.

When asked if Rankin was in the selection frame to take on Newcastle, Cartwright replied: "I haven't (considered it) at the moment, no."

On Tuesday the club trumpeted the re-signing of Rankin for another three years, which was accompanied by predictions he is the heir to Scott Prince's throne and would play first grade within the next 12 months.

On Saturday, Rankin scored two tries and booted 10 goals to spearhead the Australian Schoolboys to a 68-6 win over England in Townsville.

Still reeling from the loss of injured skipper Prince and hurting after watching star pivot Mat Rogers cop a one-week suspension, the Titans need an injection of attacking firepower to stand a chance against the Knights.

If Rankin is selected to play, he would most likely be named on the bench as an impact player, shifting stand-in five-eighth Ashley Harrison back into the forward pack and partnering Josh Lewis in the halves.

But it would be a huge call to play young Rankin, who doesn't turn 17 until December 17. Just five 16-year-olds in the game's 100-year history have played first grade. If Rankin joins them, he would become the third youngest debutant in history and the youngest since 1936.

Rugby league historian David Middleton said regardless of whether Rankin played, it was a huge indicator of talent to even be on the fringe of selections.

"He is obviously a remarkable talent," said Middleton.

"I have never heard of anybody in grade 11 playing first grade before.

"Josh Hannay (former Cowboys centre) was earmarked for a first grade position at the age of 16 but according to the laws he wasn't allowed to play because his (17th) birthday was after the year in question.

"I can remember how special it was when Brad Fittler (who made his first grade debut as a 17-year-old) represented Australia the year after playing Australian Schoolboys.

"Well if this kid plays, he will be playing first grade the same year as Australian Schoolboys, which is very rare.

"It is actually an understatement to say it is extremely rare.

"I mean, there has only been five in the entire history of the game and I think there have been around 7500 players that have played first grade."

Source - www.goldcoast.com.au

patskE
08-08-08, 09:49 AM
hvnt seen this kid play but jeez is carty is thinking about it, he must be good.

Chaos
08-08-08, 11:49 AM
Where did the speculation come from?

When asked if Rankin was in the selection frame to take on Newcastle, Cartwright replied: "I haven't (considered it) at the moment, no."

Tamwelg
08-08-08, 11:56 AM
Where did the speculation come from?

The fact that he has been training in the half this week with the main squad and that Titans staff have mentioned they have considered playing him in Titans TV.

Tamwelg
08-08-08, 01:29 PM
http://users.winshop.com.au/sticky/Jordan%20Rankin.jpg

eelectrica
08-08-08, 04:49 PM
I think it's a bad idea. If Carty wants to give him a run, then maybe round 26 if we're out of the running.
Play him off the bench for the final 20 minutes of the season to give him a feel for 1st grade.
Wouldn't be putting him in a game of this magnitude though.

GCT_89
08-08-08, 10:00 PM
I think it's a bad idea. If Carty wants to give him a run, then maybe round 26 if we're out of the running.
Play him off the bench for the final 20 minutes of the season to give him a feel for 1st grade.

maybe hes a good luck charm................he lead the U/18 side into the finals......has played in the NYC and theyve been going guns for a good 7 games......lol

but yea, it could probably be a bad idea to start him.........im sure we'll be fine for now.....IF he is called up, i hope he has a killer of a game, and ill be supporting him all the way

craigyd
09-08-08, 11:19 AM
i think go the other way,drop him in the deep end and make him swim,Lewis did nothing last week to be given another shot and he is gone at years end,give the kid the chance he deserves.

Steve
09-08-08, 11:32 AM
Problem with starting the young lads is if you drop them in at the deep end, if they sink, they may never resurface. The experience can shatter their confidence. Sometimes they excel and do great.

We've seen at Penrith with their problems, Coote and Graham called into first grade and they've both gone great, but it's probably not the ideal situation.

Carty seems to like putting them on the bench and giving them a taste of the game. It's a whole new level and until they're out on the field, they probably don't quite realise just how big a gap it is.

I'm not sure him training with the squad means he'll get a call up. Not this year anyhow, but I think it's likely he will next year.

Airlie Beach Titan
09-08-08, 06:54 PM
How many of the younger guys have trained with the squad this year? How many of them have then started as past of the 17?

Not many?

GCT_89
09-08-08, 07:03 PM
interesting to see hes not named in the U/20s team............

amaline
09-08-08, 08:00 PM
there was an article in the paper today. He was supposed to play for the Australian school boy team but titans got him to pull out of it.

Tamwelg
09-08-08, 08:25 PM
there was an article in the paper today. He was supposed to play for the Australian school boy team but titans got him to pull out of it.

There surely was. It looks like this is going to happen. The article isn't available online, so I scanned it in.

http://users.winshop.com.au/sticky/bulletin.jpg

amaline
09-08-08, 08:34 PM
that's the one. I'm suprised it hasn't been posted yet. I heard the reason they aren't playing Davis is because once he plays a certain amount of games (6?) and they have to give him a contract.

Tamwelg
09-08-08, 08:58 PM
that's the one. I'm suprised it hasn't been posted yet. I heard the reason they aren't playing Davis is because once he plays a certain amount of games (6?) and they have to give him a contract.

He has a contract with the Titans for next year and is currently on match payments. Probably more of a salary cap issue with them paying him for every game he plays.

amaline
09-08-08, 09:05 PM
Ah that's good to hear. It's been good to see a lot of guys getting an NRL debut, a lot more than last year. Hope Rankin goes well.

Steve
09-08-08, 09:45 PM
I think most coaches worry about spies at training sessions.

I remember few years back, a group of us drove down to Penrith to go to a game, and we turned up at a training session the day before to watch.

Some of the training staff came over for a chat, and when we said we were from Brisbane, they suddenly changed from friendly to wary, were playing the Broncos that weekend. Had to quickly explain we were all Panther fans!

Aussiematt
10-08-08, 07:50 AM
myself and the guys i bring to the games all know rankin personally from school. and i can say i know the answer :D

titanstattman
10-08-08, 09:12 AM
myself and the guys i bring to the games all know rankin personally from school. and i can say i know the answer :D

So in a non sattle way ur saying yesz he is playing.......:salute:

patskE
10-08-08, 09:40 AM
dnt u just love the mystry
iam excited to see if he plays or not now ahah

eelectrica
10-08-08, 10:54 AM
Well good luck to the kid. Everyone in the team is going to have to step up a couple of notches and give him all the help he needs. Maybe that's the idea. Force everyone to step up realising if they don't the season is over and our third Jordan can't be expected to do it all himself.

patskE
10-08-08, 04:00 PM
just reading a few articles that jsut came out, it they all say, it looks like carty is going take a punt n put him in.

amaline
10-08-08, 04:12 PM
Assuming he'll come on off the bench? Just as long as it's not in the last ten minutes like Walker and Tonga got for their debuts. It'd be good to see him come on after 20 minutes, Lewis to 6 and Harrison to lock.

Titan2007
10-08-08, 04:13 PM
'If you're good enough, you are old enough'

patskE
10-08-08, 04:18 PM
carty said his going have a chat to him 2morrow n make up his mind after that to see if his mentaly ready

eelectrica
10-08-08, 07:35 PM
'If you're good enough, you are old enough'

The only thing that worries me is being physically ready. At that age he's still got some development to go and the Knights are going to be looking to smash him and welcome him to first grade.
I guess we just have to trust Carty to make the correct decision.

squirrell
10-08-08, 08:42 PM
U can tell we have a young squad with 3 jordans in it!!!

Chaos
11-08-08, 03:12 PM
Problem with starting the young lads is if you drop them in at the deep end, if they sink, they may never resurface. The experience can shatter their confidence. Sometimes they excel and do great.

Even worse then that is a talented kid coming out of Australian school boys and not getting a chance in the NRL because conservative coaches only look for size because they can't work out a way to change there defense pattern to suit the smell guy.

I say to any young guy...have a shot when ever you get half a chance.

lonegull
11-08-08, 03:23 PM
I say to any young guy...have a shot when ever you get half a chance.[/QUOTE]

cant agree more if he is up to the challenge give him a shot

Titan2007
11-08-08, 03:27 PM
The only thing that worries me is being physically ready. At that age he's still got some development to go and the Knights are going to be looking to smash him and welcome him to first grade.
I guess we just have to trust Carty to make the correct decision.

Yeah I know what you mean, but,these days the boys are hitting the gym at 14 years of age. Physically, yes, I think he can handle it. Mentally, I hear he is quite mature for his age. I am sure he knows that the Knights are going to attack him from every angle but the other players would be aware of this too. I don't think he will start, I think he will come off the bench. It's good that, being so young, he gets his opportunity to play NRL. I just hope that the Club are doing it for the right reasons and not for the 'youngest ever title'.

RLfan
11-08-08, 04:18 PM
Well according to the Courier-Mail, the kid is officialy in and will play tonight.

Tamwelg
11-08-08, 05:23 PM
Well according to the Courier-Mail, the kid is officialy in and will play tonight.

It surely does

Titans teen Jordan Rankin to come off bench against Knights

August 11, 2008 01:52pm

SCHOOLBOY Jordan Rankin will start tonight's NRL clash between the Gold Coast Titans and Newcastle at Robina from the interchange bench. The Titans teenager will become the youngest halfback debutant in 100 years of rugby league when he runs on to Skilled Park.

Rankin will be the third youngest debutant since the league started in Australia in 1908, with only Eastern Suburbs prop Ray Stehr and Western Suburbs front-rower Jack Arnold making their debuts at a younger age in 1929 in 1936 respectively.

Just five 16-year-olds have played first grade, the most recent being Cronulla prop Adam Ritson in 1993.

Australian Schoolboys five-eighth Rankin is 16 years and 238 days old.
Rankin will replace Clint Amos on the Titans bench.

Source - The Courier Mail

Ryan
11-08-08, 05:41 PM
The courier also printed an article about this being a smoke screen for Bailey & Princes return. Nevermind though, they also mentioned Bailey still can't run 10mts with the metal screws still in his foot........

patskE
11-08-08, 06:02 PM
i rkn prince might play lol
anyone know if the kid play in the NYC? then we know for sure

Tamwelg
11-08-08, 06:48 PM
I am posting from the ground on my iPhone and can confirm he is playing any Prince is not

eelectrica
11-08-08, 09:44 PM
Thought he did well. all things considered. Certainly no worse than our more experienced half - Lewis and wasn't afraid to try a few things.
I think he can be happy with his debut, even if he did drop a try, he also set one with a nifty grubber at the end.

Well done to him.

goldcoastitans
11-08-08, 09:50 PM
very very happy with this young player and so deserves to be there over Lewis ....Lewis had a shocked and the team seamed to lift as soon as Rankin came on

amaline
11-08-08, 09:51 PM
I think he maybe should have be given the ball a bit more. But I think he did well. It'll be good to see him play alongside Prince.

patskE
11-08-08, 10:08 PM
should of got given the ball move
lewis past 2 games have been shockers
leave the kid in!

Paul
11-08-08, 10:31 PM
Can we send Lewis to the tigers right now? I don't know what he offers the team

Rankin was great once he came on.I don't know how it looked on tele but to me it looked as if he tried to get stuck in,I don't think the boys held the ball back from him apart from the first 2 sets of 6 he was on the field. He was our only player who had the knights in 2 minds and the only one willing to try something different

amaline
11-08-08, 10:34 PM
Can we send Lewis to the tigers right now? I don't know what he offers the team

Rankin was great once he came on.I don't know how it looked on tele but to me it looked as if he tried to get stuck in,I don't think the boys held the ball back from him apart from the first 2 sets of 6 he was on the field

I thought Lewis should be given the benefit of the doubt against Melbourne. They've got a pretty dominant pack etc. After tonight, though, I agree. I don't think we'll be seeing him play for the Titans again, even if Prince doesn't play against the Cowboys.

eelectrica
11-08-08, 10:42 PM
Not hard to see why Lewis has sat pretty much most of the season out. I think he's counting down the days until he gots out of here.

After tonight, I'd have no problem playing Rankin at half for a match if Princey can't go next week. Hell the season is busted now anyway, nothing to lose so might as well experiment a little.

amaline
11-08-08, 10:42 PM
It's a shame that Lawton is out with an ankle injury. Would have loved to see him playing tonight.

curly_11
12-08-08, 08:08 AM
I think he played well and has a lot of confidence, you could see he tried to play his natural game and was no scared to try things. His first touch he chipped and chaced only for the ball to fall to odyer who couldnt offload. I think he is definitely a star of the future and when he did get the ball he looked good in attack but his defence will need work as he missed 4 tackles and was involved in 8 that he actually tackled.

All i can say is we have a heap of options developing for the next few years. Zillman, Walker, Rapana, C Walker and now Rankin :D

I wouldnt mind seeing him make another appearance again this season but it looks unlikely because Carty said he showed some brilliance but has a way to go.

PS Josh Lewis can go to the tigers straight away it was almost like he did it on purpose to get revenge on Cartwright. See you later lewis :fight:

craigyd
12-08-08, 11:06 AM
Lewis will never play first grade again,he has only signed to Wests Tigers which is NSW CUP,i cant see Sheens ever calling him up to First grade.
I hope Cartwright doesnt use him next week,If prince cant play use the kid or even Davis or Prston to Half and bring Walker in.
Lewis last night was as predictable as any player i have ever seen.

patskE
12-08-08, 05:22 PM
u mean west magpies, or baliam tigers?
i would of like to seen lawton given a go at dummy half instead of amos if friend is playing half :S

amaline
12-08-08, 06:10 PM
u mean west magpies, or baliam tigers?
i would of like to seen lawton given a go at dummy half instead of amos if friend is playing half :S

Me too, but he's out for the season.

TITAN PETE
13-08-08, 10:16 AM
Me too, but he's out for the season.

Lawton will be back before the semi's ;)

patskE
13-08-08, 04:17 PM
tbh if we loose this game ill put rainkin in every game after
get him ready for next season, train him in off season
then prince 7 rainkin 6 :D

amaline
13-08-08, 05:03 PM

As much as I like that idea, if we lose this game, the season is well and truly gone, but the Under 20's have a pretty good chance of doing well. Although Prince 7, Rankin 6 does sound pretty good.

patskE
13-08-08, 05:19 PM
1. walker
2.rapana
3.rogers
4.delaney/walker
5.zillman
6. rainkin
7.prince
with campbell as utilaty?

TITAN PETE
13-08-08, 05:47 PM

He's only 16 let him win a Premiership with the 20's this season 1st :thumbsup:

amaline
13-08-08, 07:05 PM
1. walker
2.rapana
3.rogers
4.delaney/walker
5.zillman
6. rainkin
7.prince
with campbell as utilaty?

I don't think that would be very fair on the teams we play against. :D

amaline
13-08-08, 07:09 PM
But to continue on
1. walker
2.rapana
3.rogers
4.delaney/walker
5.zillman
6. rainkin
7.prince
8.Bailey
9.Friend
10.Henderson
11.Laffranchi
12.Minichello
13.Harrison
14.Cannings
15.Conn
16.Matthews
17.Tagataese/Graham

Paul
13-08-08, 07:21 PM
why on earth is everyone leaving preston Campbell out or on the bench?

titanstattman
13-08-08, 07:54 PM
why on earth is everyone leaving preston Campbell out or on the bench?

I am thinking the same thing dude.........It seems everyone is putting Walker in insted of Presto i'll pick presto over walker any day......

squirrell
13-08-08, 09:07 PM
agree presto and friend our 2 best over the last cpl months no way would he be left out

kwigibo
13-08-08, 09:45 PM
Presto should be 5/8th. Who cares though, if you can't fit in great players, you're less prone to mid season injury slumps.