PDA

View Full Version : Titans re-sign boom youngster

Pumba
05-08-08, 03:30 PM
Titans re-sign boom youngster

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have secured the services of one of the hottest prospects in the NRL after re-signing local talent Jordan Rankin until the end of 2011.

Rankin, who is currently representing the Australian Schoolboys in a series against teams from Great Britain and France, has agreed to a new three-year deal with the club.

The Palm Beach Currumbin High School student has emerged as a potential star of the future this season after being brought through the Titans development system.

Playing well above his age, the 16-year-old captained the Titans? SG Ball (under-18) side to a finals appearance in their first season in the junior competition earlier this year and has since stepped up to play with the Titans? NYC (under-20) side.

The Burleigh junior, who was initially recruited as a fullback but is being groomed as a halfback, is rated as having the potential to play first grade within the next 12 months.

Jetstar Titans managing director Michael Searle said the signing of Rankin to a long-term deal was a coup for the club.

?Jordan is clearly a great talent and his decision to re-sign with the Titans for the next three seasons is a significant one,?? said Searle.

?Although he is just 16, he has shown great maturity in stepping up to SG Ball and NYC level. He is showing signs that it won?t be long before he is playing first grade for the Titans.

?This is a another great example of our young players coming through our system and remaining with the club to represent the city in the National Rugby League.?

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said Rankin had the attributes to play first grade, provided his progress continued in the coming years.

?He?s definitely got the potential to play first grade down the track and it?s great news for the club that we?ve signed him up,?? said Cartwright.

?He?s had a starring role with the Australian schoolboys, has been starring at Palm Beach Currumbin and has also played four or five games for our under-20s side and they haven?t lost a game while he?s been there either.??

Rankin is still only in year 11 at Palm Beach Currumbin high school and said he had ambitions to break through in the NRL while he was still a student.

?It?s been a dream of mine to play for the Titans ever since they came into the competition,?? said Rankin.

?I don?t think I was going to sign anywhere else even though other clubs had shown interest.

?One of my goals is to play NRL while I?m still at school.

?I feel there is the opportunity to do that with the Titans.??

Titans Media Release

GCT_89
05-08-08, 04:51 PM
Jordan Much?????

its always great to see PBC High kids signing with the titans.......................

TITAN PETE
05-08-08, 07:50 PM
Brilliant signing as this kid is 1 of the Hottest Properties in the Toyota Cup :fist:

Paul
05-08-08, 07:51 PM
Probably the best signing we've made this season

This kid will play for australia one day

Tamwelg
05-08-08, 09:15 PM
Probably the best signing we've made this season

This kid will play for australia one day

Yep for sure.

The NYC team has not lost a game when he's played.

craigyd
06-08-08, 12:44 PM
Lewis is going to Tigers next year,give Rankin the half spot in NRL today,we have signed him as our support half for Prince so let him be that,Chuck him in the deep end and i reckon we can swim.

Tamwelg
06-08-08, 12:45 PM
Rankin signs new deal

Luke Turgeon

August 6th, 2008

MEET the Gold Coast school kid touted as the heir to Scott Prince's throne.

Teenage sensation Jordan Rankin is just 16-years-old and still in grade 11 at Palm Beach Currumbin high school but he is already viewed privately by the Titans as the eventual successor to the Gold Coast No.7 jumper.

It is not hard to see why.

Rankin has been steadily turning heads at the Titans this season. He captained the club's SG Ball under-18 team to the finals in May before making his Toyota Cup under-20s debut in round 12 -- boosting the side back into premiership contention.

He played Queensland under-18s earlier this year and on Saturday scored two tries and booted 10 goals to spearhead the Australian Schoolboys to a 68-6 win over England in Townsville.

Such is the club's faith in the youngster, the talented halfback was yesterday locked in to a new three-year deal that will see him through to the end of 2011.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said the signing of Rankin to a long-term deal was a coup for the club.

"Jordan is clearly a great talent and his decision to re-sign with the Titans for the next three seasons is a significant one," said Searle.

"Although he is just 16, he has shown great maturity in stepping up to SG Ball and under-20 level.

"He is showing signs that it won't be long before he is playing first grade for the Titans."

The Gold Coast Bulletin understands Titans coach John Cartwright heavily considered handing Rankin his NRL debut against the Panthers at Skilled Park a fortnight ago when playmaker Preston Campbell was in doubt through injury.It is a widely held belief within the Titans that Rankin will play first grade within the next 12 months.

"He's definitely got the potential to play first grade down the track and it's great news for the club that we've signed him up," said Cartwright.

"If the time comes and he is playing well enough, and more importantly if he is tough enough, he will get his chance."

The Burleigh junior was heavily pursued by rival NRL clubs but he said it was his dream to represent his hometown and had set himself the goal of playing NRL as a schoolboy.

"It's been a dream of mine to play for the Titans ever since they came into the competition," said Rankin.

"I don't think I was going to sign anywhere else even though other clubs had shown interest.

"One of my goals is to play NRL while I'm still at school. I feel there is the opportunity to do that with the Titans."

Source - www.goldcoast.com.au

Tamwelg
06-08-08, 12:48 PM
Lewis is going to Tigers next year,give Rankin the half spot in NRL today,we have signed him as our support half for Prince so let him be that,Chuck him in the deep end and i reckon we can swim.

I agree. The only issue is he is off playing for Australia at the moment.

craigyd
06-08-08, 01:43 PM
I agree. The only issue is he is off playing for Australia at the moment.

good point,maybe next week