PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: Big chill freezes the Kangaroos

DeeGan
25-11-05, 11:22 AM
Big chill freezes the Kangaroos
From Dean Ritchie in Leeds
November 25, 2005

AUSTRALIA is bracing itself to play in the most horrendous conditions this weekend with North Queensland's Luke O'Donnell having to cope with a staggering temperature difference of up to 40 degrees.

A cold snap has hit England with temperatures in Leeds to plummet below freezing with a 70 to 100 per cent chance of snow falling for the Tri-Nations final against New Zealand at Elland Road this Sunday morning (AEST).

The wind-chill factor will make conditions for the Test equivalent of minus 10 degrees.

"We have both eyes on the weather," admitted Australia coach Wayne Bennett.

Elland Road has heating under the playing surface but there are major safety issue concerns if snow falls on fans in the arena's terraces.

Australia players will wear long-sleeved thermal vests under jerseys, two pairs of socks and consider wearing gloves to combat the conditions.

O'Donnell, the Kangaroos second rower, will feel the cold more than any other player given he left temperatures in Townsville of a balmy 30 degrees.

"It will be a massive difference to Townsville," O'Donnell said.

"We have 'skins' so we'll probably wear them under the jumpers.
"It's a matter of getting my head around it.

"We'll just have to try and keep our hands warm. In cold conditions, you can lose all feeling in your fingers.

"I will get a shock going back to the 30 degrees in Townsville."

Craig Wing will also freeze - he was called into the squad while holidaying in 29 degree heat in Hawaii.

Sunny Queenslanders Brent Tate and Petero Civoniceva are also readying themselves for snow.

"Not much we can do about it," Tate said.

Civoniceva added: "It's going to be a bit of a shock to the system."

Bennett said his side would have no choice but to cope with the extreme climate change.

"The conditions will be totally foreign to us if it gets as bad as they say it's going to get," Bennett said.

"It will be difficult for New Zealand as well. It's an occupational hazard but we're widely experienced now.

"I just hope the weather forecasters here are as bad as they are at home. They get it wrong more times than they get it right."

Australia players complained of the bitter cold during last weekend's match against Great Britain in Hull.

Craig Fitzgibbon said he could barely feel his feet at full-time.

But this weekend will be worse.

Test captain Danny Buderus said: "I haven't played in anything close to snow before but I played in Canberra a few times.

"The game we played New Zealand in Auckland earlier in the tournament was the coldest I've been for a while."

The only time snow has fallen in an NRL match was in 2000 when Wests Tigers played Canberra at Bruce Stadium.

Australia will today travel 15 minutes north of York to train.

After the session, one player will head up in a jet fighter.

The Daily Telegraph

The weather WILL be a factor in the final for both teams - I am really looking forward to this test match to end the best ever of year of rugby league.

DeeGan

Dakink
25-11-05, 11:29 AM
LOL Ahh the big babies - whats a bit of snow!!

I remember when I went over there - we left Brisbane - it was 38!!

Got there and London was -4 - Froze the preverbials off!

Steelers
25-11-05, 04:09 PM
I think the cold weather will benefit NZ. Alot of their players are either based in NZ with the Warriors or based in England where they would be used to conditions like this.

DIEHARD
25-11-05, 06:02 PM
I think the weather will favour the Kiwis, but they need all the favours they can get because the Kangaroos are gonna ruin 'em.

Queenslander
25-11-05, 07:23 PM
Anything that involves rain, sleet or snow will always benefit New Zealand thats all the weather they get. The Kanagroos will need to fire up and get onto the field and set the field alight. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
26-11-05, 03:27 AM
Weather reports tip no snow but rain.

Neither good for crowd figures or Kangaroos.