PDA

View Full Version : Crowe offers help in Souths union stoush

Teegy
24-11-05, 05:47 PM
from SMH.com.au

Actor and Rabbitohs fan Russell Crowe has offered to meet trade union members face-to-face to try to head off possible green bans against the redevelopment of Redfern Oval.

Crowe and business partner Peter Holmes a Court have tabled a $13.5 million takeover plan for the historic South Sydney rugby league club, which has been in financial strife since winning a legal battle to rejoin the NRL six years ago.

Crowe, in Melbourne preparing to host the AFI film awards this weekend, said he had his doubts the plan would come to fruition.

He was disturbed to hear that unions planned to blockade the site to prevent it being turned into a training facility with a grant from Sydney City Council.

"Before that gets too far out of control, I really wouldn't mind having a discussion with those fellas as well as to what actually benefits the area and what benefits your members," Crowe said.

His buyout plan includes a proposal to unite the three arms of South Sydney - the football club, Souths Leagues Club and Souths Juniors Leagues Club.

Club members would retain 25 per cent ownership and control over things like club colours and logo.

"I am still far from convinced that is actually possible, no matter how much we desire it, but we will just take that one step at a time," Crowe told reporters.

"Our principal reasoning is about making South Sydney Rugby League Club an inspiration to the people that live in the district.

"That should be I think anybody's motivation when they are dealing with a rugby league team from such a poor area as Souths.

"If [we get] any kind of agreement or movement from the various parties involved, at that stage then we will start talking about what it actually means."

Club stalwart George Piggins is leading the campaign against the council redevelopment, favouring an upgrade of the field and grandstand.

"I have a great deal of respect for George and I have been on George's side in many a battle," Crowe said.

"So I think the only question I might have would be, after years of neglecting Redfern Oval, I can't really understand why he would stand in the way of a $19 million refurbishment paid for by the city council.

"Because his plan to have a professional football stadium there ... the type of stadium he is talking about is not big enough to satisfy NRL criteria so I don't know why we are going round in circles with it."

Crowe said he believed Rabbitohs supporters knew where he was coming from.

"I think they understand where my loyalty and my passion lies. I am not about moving Souths outside of the geographic region of South Sydney, I am not about changing the colours and I am not about changing the logo.

"What I would be about is changing the way the football club actually does business and how it relates to its leagues club and how it relates to its juniors club.

"Because there isn't any reason why Souths can't be financially independent and a strong football club if those three elements work together."

The Original Idiot
24-11-05, 07:16 PM
Why not change Redfern to a rectangle? Who in the name of Clive Churchill uses it anyway?

In-Cyde #1
24-11-05, 07:17 PM
Poor Old Souths can't take a trick.
Lets all hope and pray that commonsense prevails and that Souths get it together for their fans and for the NRL.

Steelers
24-11-05, 07:20 PM
Lets all hope and pray that commonsense prevails and that Souths get it together for their fans and for the NRL.

Amen to that! I can't wait for the day when Souths are back up there at the top of the competition.

Dakink
25-11-05, 08:54 AM
Devils Advocate - Should souths consider Relocating to CC??

In-Cyde #1
25-11-05, 07:28 PM

That could be a real possibility in the next few years, if they don't go belly up first. And should Souths remain where they are, I'm sure other struggling Sydney clubs would be candidates for relocation.

Queenslander
25-11-05, 07:35 PM

Infact any New South Wales club that is in trouble should consider moving to the central coast.

Dragons
25-11-05, 07:44 PM
That could be a real possibility in the next few years, if they don't go belly up first. And should Souths remain where they are, I'm sure other struggling Sydney clubs would be candidates for relocation.
Souths need help and all the Pig is doing is holding them back. trying to hold onto heritage and tradition wont help Souths. He did a good job getting them back, but they need to let the redfern thing go and just play there home games at Aussie stadium which is only 2k away anyway.

Dakink
26-11-05, 08:48 AM
Infact any New South Wales club that is in trouble should consider moving to the central coast.

I dont disagree with that - there are a number of Sydney clubs that have dwindling bases and with the increase in competition - not only from LEague - but other sports in Sydney - it wouldnt surprise me to see other clubs consider that down the track. That is one reason I am really happy that the St.George and Illawarra boards were able to do what they did when they did. There are too many clubs in Sydney and I think crowds would increase even more with a reduced number.