PDA

View Full Version : Round 22: Gold Coast Titans vs Newcastle Knights

amaline
06-07-08, 11:49 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Newcastle Knights

Steve
05-08-08, 01:36 PM
Cant wait for the thread any longer have to start one.

Ok this is a massive game for us, our last throw at the dice.

Everything revolves around our defence, we have leaked about 90 points in the last 2 weeks, and if it is not fixed, well thats it!!

It'll be interesting to see who Carty picks this week. I'm guessing because they are fighting the charge on Rogers that he'll be named. Friend and Mini back this week?

Sorry guys, hit merge posts instead of merge threads. :D

mikeyba
05-08-08, 01:54 PM
alright...

here is my team.. that is if Rogers is out.. if he is in i would like to see him in numer 3 and move Cooper to the bench

1. Shannon Walker
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Gavin Cooper / Matt Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jordan Atkins
6. Ashley Harrison
7. Preston Campbell
8. Brad Meyers
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Mininchello
13. Daniel Conn

Interchange
14. James Stosic
15. Will Matthews
16. Luke Swain
17. Josh Graham
18. Selasi Berdie

Nathalie
05-08-08, 03:17 PM
I'll be there! Not in the Legion section though. Got me some Titanium halfway line seats :D

kwigibo
05-08-08, 03:27 PM
This is the team apparently

1 Preston Campbell
2 Jordan Rapana
3 Gavin Cooper
4 Brett Delaney
5 Jordan Atkins
6 Ashley Harrison
7 Josh Lewis
8 Brad Meyers
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Hodgson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O’Dwyer

Interchange

14 James Stosic
15 Will Matthews
16 Josh Graham
17 Clint Amos
18 Luke Swain

kwigibo
05-08-08, 03:28 PM
He has no problem dropping any other players, but I have a feeling O'dwyer will be halfback next week and a front rower the week after. They better lift their game or the season will be over come monday.

patskE
05-08-08, 03:48 PM
well his at lock, which is prob his best possie i rkn, not at dummy ahah
no conn? :(
i think we need a bit more in the halfves department, prob campbell in there for walker really tbh

C-Whiz
05-08-08, 03:59 PM
Whoever play in whatever position, this is our season. No pressure guys!

It's time to aim up, get your sh`t in a pile and stop the rot. Forget the excuses, forget the injury woes, forget the past. The finals campaign starts on Monday.

curly_11
05-08-08, 04:19 PM
This team looks better then it has in the past few weeks!!! We need to get the job done this week and get some points advantage.

Next week we should have henderson and cannings back and the week after a possibility of the prince.

Going to be a good game! The knights are playing some good footy but i think we will get over the line!

See you all at the game:D

GCT_89
05-08-08, 04:54 PM
Whoever play in whatever position, this is our season. No pressure guys!

It's time to aim up, get your sh`t in a pile and stop the rot. Forget the excuses, forget the injury woes, forget the past. The finals campaign starts on Monday.

too true!

ive got a great feeling about this game, especially with MINI and FRIEND back on board

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

patskE
05-08-08, 06:12 PM
This is the team apparently

1 Preston Campbell
2 Jordan Rapana
3 Gavin Cooper
4 Brett Delaney
5 Jordan Atkins
6 Ashley Harrison
7 Josh Lewis
8 Brad Meyers
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Hodgson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O?Dwyer

Interchange

14 James Stosic
15 Will Matthews
16 Josh Graham
17 Clint Amos
18 Luke Swain

yeh thats the lineup which is up on the titans page iam pretty sure

titanstattman
05-08-08, 07:08 PM
Well i'll be there cant wait for this game bring it on im going in to newcastle on thur's so i'll have to go thru with the titans flag on the side ofd the van...

skua
05-08-08, 07:14 PM
come on titans , 3 straight losses, we need a spot in top 8, premierships is going to be hard for us to get , but with teamwork we can get it ;)

eelectrica
05-08-08, 08:45 PM
Grand final has come a few weeks early for the Titans. Not that we're gonna make it that far, but it would still be cool for the Titans to make the finals in the 2nd year of existence. Also give some players finals experience for when we do have the team to make an impact.

Hopefully the Knights still have their heads in the clouds after last nights all too easy win over Parra. Some good may come out of that debacle yet.

At least we've got some players back and should make a game of it. We're due for a win at home, it's been a while...

Chaos
05-08-08, 10:17 PM
I've just checked out our side and we have a massive task...like others have said, we have to treat this game as our grand final...we lose this and I'll bet a thousand on the fat lady singing.

If Lewis has a good kicking game...it's possible that Friend, Laffranchi and Minichello can control this game in the forwards.

Good to see Meyers back in the front row and Stosic's size off the bench may help (glad to see him have a go last weekend)

Now that O'dwyer is in a position that suits him...I hope he shows all his critics wrong...if he doesn't have a blinder, fans will be crying for Carty's head.

If the boys can win this...I believe they have a shot in the finals.

Predictions
Harrison has a blinder in defense, stopping inexperienced halves.
Friend outplays Buderus
Lewis kicks a 40-20
Graham sends Hilder into Disneyland
Rapana scores try of the year
Minchello last try scorer

Go you Titans!

bigjim
06-08-08, 09:58 PM
Winning won't be good enough.With our for/against we will need a good 3 try margin if we are to have any hope getting to the finals.:fight:

Chaos
06-08-08, 11:20 PM
Winning won't be good enough.With our for/against we will need a good 3 try margin if we are to have any hope getting to the finals.:fight:

4 wins puts us on 30 points...forget about 'for and against'...2 competition points is all we should be focused on.

karnage
07-08-08, 06:31 PM
I've just checked out our side and we have a massive task...like others have said, we have to treat this game as our grand final...we lose this and I'll bet a thousand on the fat lady singing.

If Lewis has a good kicking game...it's possible that Friend, Laffranchi and Minichello can control this game in the forwards.

Good to see Meyers back in the front row and Stosic's size off the bench may help (glad to see him have a go last weekend)

Now that O'dwyer is in a position that suits him...I hope he shows all his critics wrong...if he doesn't have a blinder, fans will be crying for Carty's head.

If the boys can win this...I believe they have a shot in the finals.

Predictions
Harrison has a blinder in defense, stopping inexperienced halves.
Friend outplays Buderus
Lewis kicks a 40-20
Graham sends Hilder into Disneyland
Rapana scores try of the year
Minchello last try scorer

Go you Titans!

That's a great post Chaos.

This is it. Might as well head out on Mad Monday if we let another 2 points through to the keeper here.

We couldn't get past the Knights with a near to full strength team earlier in the year so it makes the ask look all the more hard. While my heart will always say 'Titans' my head says Knights and I have tipped accordingly in my tipping comp.

I have never hoped more fervently that I am wrong.

squirrell
07-08-08, 07:59 PM
while i agree with u karnage,,im leading my work tipping and for once in the last few months am tipping titans to win,mainly cos of the player of the year nathan friend,so i like you, hope we win cos im gonna be screaming in stand 6 and im always miserable when we lose .

skua
07-08-08, 08:21 PM
well i do have a feeling that three straight losses will get through the titans minds, and having minichelo back is a bonus. so if the titans come out with the right attitude and their goals set for the remainder weeks of the game, we can win this easily.

Chaos
07-08-08, 08:51 PM
while i agree with u karnage,,im leading my work tipping and for once in the last few months am tipping titans to win,mainly cos of the player of the year nathan friend,so i like you, hope we win cos im gonna be screaming in stand 6 and im always miserable when we lose .

I'm in the same boat as you squirrell...I'm also leading a tipping comp and my tip for the Titans this week has faith written all over it.

craigyd
08-08-08, 12:14 PM
im a close second in my tipping and i like most of the underdogs in this weeks round,call me crazy but im tipping Manly,Tigers,NZ,Penrith and Titans.here goes nothing

squirrell
08-08-08, 12:37 PM
im a close second in my tipping and i like most of the underdogs in this weeks round,call me crazy but im tipping Manly,Tigers,NZ,Penrith and Titans.here goes nothing

ok ill call u crazy!! storm,dragons and raiders i hope

Tamwelg
08-08-08, 01:33 PM
Gung-ho Conn to turn up uninvited

Luke Turgeon

August 8th, 2008

TOUGH Titans backrower Daniel Conn has not given up hope of running out against Newcastle on Monday despite being told by coach John Cartwright to rest after being treated in hospital with a virus at the weekend.

Conn was struck down with the illness the morning of the Gold Coast's clash with the Storm last Friday, before deteriorating to the point where he spent most on Sunday in hospital on a drip.

The 22-year-old, who has also been battling separate shoulder, hand and ankle injuries over the past several weeks, was handed an enforced layoff by Cartwright in a bid to get back some strength. But Conn plans to turn up at Titans training today uninvited to push for a starting spot.

"I haven't given up yet," said Conn, who has played 12 games for the Titans this season. "Carty said to stay away for a couple of days. But I will sneak back in.

"But I might have to put a balaclava on to run around, and see if he notices me."

Conn's attitude sums up the feeling in the Titans camp ahead of the Skilled Park showdown. Needing to win at least three more games to stand a chance of making the finals, the Titans know a victory over the Knights is crucial.

"I have been eating the house down trying to get some weight back on and doing my own training," said Conn. "I just really want to keep getting in that starting side. I have a real point to prove."

* TITANS tallman Gavin Cooper yesterday signed a two-year deal with the Penrith Panthers.

Cooper had been linked to the Cowboys but settled on Penrith.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said it was unlikely the club would search for new centre, with the majority of the club's 2009 funds already locked in.

Source - www.goldcoast.com.au

Tamwelg
08-08-08, 01:35 PM
Daniel Conn is slowly becoming one of my favourite Titans, you just got to admire his toughness and his never say die attitude.

GCT_89
08-08-08, 09:12 PM
awesome.....ill be packing my CONN-crete banner after all..................man hes a gun player and i wish him all the best with this 'point*' hes trying to prove...

*Hardest player on feild in 2008?

Paul
08-08-08, 09:17 PM
Daniel Conn is slowly becoming one of my favourite Titans, you just got to admire his toughness and his never say die attitude.

+1

In fact after Preston I think Conn is my favourite player

patskE
09-08-08, 02:09 PM
conn been my fav for a while
just love his attitude towards playing footy
want sot do anythign he can for the guys around.
hopefully he does play casue we need his defense

DIEHARD
09-08-08, 05:11 PM
Conn really has exploded in popularity and he is now one of those players that you both relate as a class Titans player but also a player that exhibits those personality aspects we believe the Titans is about.

And what better way to honour him than 89's awesome banner.

Airlie Beach Titan
09-08-08, 06:51 PM
That is hero, Conn can't be stopped.

Ryan
09-08-08, 07:09 PM
Add me too that list.
Big fan of the CONN-crete banner too, I'll be looking for it on tv :thumbsup:

skua
09-08-08, 10:22 PM
we can win, we can win! monday night footy get ready :)

hopefully prince will surprise us :)

titans_rulz25
09-08-08, 10:30 PM
this would b my team for the titans vs knights game

1 Josh Lewis
2 Jordan Rapana
3 Gavin Cooper
4 Brett Delaney
5 Jordan Atkins
6 Ashley Harrison
7 Preston Campbell
8 Brad Meyers
9 Nathan Friend
10 Michael Hodgson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O?Dwyer

patskE
09-08-08, 10:51 PM
mmmm lewis at fullback
interesting to say the least

patskE
10-08-08, 12:35 AM
THE Gold Coast intend to drop the biggest selection bombshell in 72 years tomorrow by elevating the third youngest player in the 100-year history of rugby league to the NRL.

Titans coach John Cartwright will take the most adventurous punt of his coaching career by picking 16-year-old halfback Jordan Rankin for tomorrow night's clash against Newcastle.

A Year 11 student at Palm Beach, Currumbin, on the Gold Coast, Rankin is the Australian Schoolboys No7 and has trained with the Titans NRL squad since Wednesday.

Only Eastern Suburbs player Ray Stehr in 1929 and Wests' Jack Arnold in 1936 have made their first-grade debut at a younger age.

"He plays in the halves so it's a big ask for him. He understands the only chance of him playing was if he spent the whole week with our first-grade squad,'' Cartwright said.

"Physically he's not a man, he's a kid, but he's one of those ones where it's only a matter of time.

"I really don't want to throw him to the wolves but he's handled the under-20s on his ear. Since he's been there, they've won six out of six and he's got three players' player awards. I'll make my mind up after our final session on Sunday.''

The Sunday Telegraph understands Cartwright will shield Rankin on the interchange bench to avoid the opening exchanges before blooding him.

Rankin is 16 years and 237 days and doesn't celebrate his 17th birthday until December 17.
The only other rookies to have tasted first grade at 16 in the past 20 years are Adam Ritson, who debuted for Cronulla in 1993, and Paul Mellor, who debuted for Souths in 1991.

Rankin was slated to appear for the Australian Schoolboys side against an English Academy outfit in Brisbane yesterday but was a last-minute withdrawal.

Last Saturday Rankin scored two tries and booted 10 goals to spearhead the Australian Schoolboys to a 68-6 win over England in Townsville.

Rugby league historian David Middleton said he had never heard of a Year 11 student playing first-grade rugby league.

"If he does play then he'll be the fifth 16-year-old in the 100-year history of the game, so it's certainly a remarkable achievement,'' Middleton said.

"He'll also be playing first grade the same year as he's played Australian Schoolboys, which is extremely rare. To put it in perspective, Brad Fittler played first grade the year after he played Australian Schoolboys, and I remember how special that was at the time.

"I've also never heard of a Year 11 student making his debut in the top grade.

"He is obviously a remarkable talent.''

The gamble on Rankin comes as the Titans search for attacking options after losing captain Scott Prince with a broken arm during the State of Origin series.

Rankin re-signed with the Gold Coast for a further three years on Tuesday.

from courior mail

patskE
10-08-08, 12:37 AM
wow imagine if he does play well, him 6, prince 7 for years to come
n rogers can finally go back to center. makes me wet thinking about it

DIEHARD
10-08-08, 12:49 AM
If they do debut him it would be a stunning and exciting moment. And it would make me once again feel proud to be part of a club that likes to chance its arm and do the unexpected, experiment.

Also patske, we'd also have Zillman in the mix as well as a fit Chris Walker for a centre position. It's looking great for the futre!

titanstattman
10-08-08, 09:05 AM
Once again if he gets pick i think we should give him the good old welcome wen they warm up thats right boys get those voices our and give him the LEGION welcome....

Tamwelg
10-08-08, 12:24 PM
Once again if he gets pick i think we should give him the good old welcome wen they warm up thats right boys get those voices our and give him the LEGION welcome....

Good call tattman, A good Legion welcome would be great for him.

skua
10-08-08, 06:23 PM
hopefully prince wil be on the squad alongside to help :)

GCT_89
10-08-08, 06:27 PM
RAN-KIN!
RAN-KIN!
RAN-KIN!

-or-

RAAAAAAN-KIIIIIIIN
RAAAAAAN-KIIIIIIIN
RAAAAAAN-KIIIIIIIN

will be very interesting to see how the other boys on the park respond to his presence on the field......he nearly half the age of bedsy.....

and also our Team.........will they step up, to protect him, step up with the thought of "holy crap........if cartys bringing 16 year olds into the team, i better pick up my act........."

who knows......but yea, it'll be interesting to say the least......

DIEHARD
11-08-08, 12:55 AM
RAN-KIN!
RAN-KIN!
RAN-KIN!

-or-

RAAAAAAN-KIIIIIIIN
RAAAAAAN-KIIIIIIIN
RAAAAAAN-KIIIIIIIN

I like the 2nd option. We'll definitely have to test both out though.

I think the decision to play him will come down to Rankin himself. If he feels comfortable with it.

Certainly exciting developments and as I say to other fans discussing the issue with me, I say well if any club will pull a surprise out of the hat, it'll be the Titans. So expect the unexpected.

I'm just generally excited for the future that we have a player of his class. Just a matter of when that future comes to pass.

patskE
11-08-08, 08:49 PM
man matthews played well
but jeez
they seemed like they didnt want to give rainkin the ball
the last few mins when he got invovled produced 2 great kicks...
dnt know y campbell kicked for the line of that pently...
just need to give him a go n he will be right i rkn
i think u see dwyer back in at centre next game, he started playing there towards the end :S

jasbec
11-08-08, 08:52 PM
DELANEY: He should look at his own game before he blows up his team mates. I lost count on how many miss tackles he did which 70% of them resulted in tries!:mad:

jasbec
11-08-08, 08:56 PM
man matthews played well
but jeez
they seemed like they didnt want to give rainkin the ball
the last few mins when he got invovled produced 2 great kicks...
dnt know y campbell kicked for the line of that pently...
just need to give him a go n he will be right i rkn
i think u see dwyer back in at centre next game, he started playing there towards the end :S
I'd like to see atkins move into centre rather than odwyer.

goldcoastitans
11-08-08, 09:53 PM
game sucked and i dont really wanna talk about it anymore ....the boys didnt play like they usually do and the crowd was bad ....really bad!

amaline
11-08-08, 09:56 PM
game sucked and i dont really wanna talk about it anymore ....the boys didnt play like they usually do and the crowd was bad ....really bad!

It's not good when the away supporters drown us out.

eelectrica
11-08-08, 09:57 PM

Hard game to get into with the Knights marching downfield at will and the Titans barely able to look like scoring despite so many chances at the Knights line.

patskE
11-08-08, 10:21 PM
anyone else feel that friend/laffanci/harrison all sorta try n take control n think they have to win the game?

amaline
11-08-08, 10:25 PM
anyone else feel that friend/laffanci/harrison all sorta try n take control n think they have to win the game?

Tonight Harrison was definitely in everything but with the way that Lewis was playing, he pretty much had to. I think he just kept it up when Rankin came on, and seemed to keep the ball away from him a bit. But I think Harrison had a really good game, same with Friend.

Paul
11-08-08, 10:26 PM
I was all pumped up and felt good on the train to robina. The under 20's were sensational once again and the legion was looking and sounding good then at full time the legion seemed to lessen by about 50% in numbers and noise

The first set of 6 in 1st grade you could have heard a pin drop in the whole stadium and it only got worse. It was the worst atmosphere this season by a country mile. The players look like they have given up on the season already & couldn't be bothered so to be honest it's almost understandable the crowd have finally followed suit.Awful night for everyone involved apart from our U 20's

Our outside defence was abysmal and thats being generous.They ran past us at will all game and half the time we didnt even attempt to tackle.Josh lewis stopping dead in his tracks,throwing his arms up like a girl and letting the newie player stroll over untouched was disgraceful but he wasn't alone. On the plus side O'Dwyers massive tackle on Gidley(I think) was awesome and I saw him smash a couple more that went un-noticed

Our first grade team should be ashamed of themselves that they showed absolutely no attacking flair or ideas until a sixteen year old kid came on to try and run the show. Rankin showed his confidence and class the first time he touched it with his chip and chase.It was refreshing to see after watching the same old boring sh!te for the first 50 or so mins

The OOMPA LOOMPA touchie was funny as hell,then the touchie in first grade looked like Ben jeffery:D

Note to the skilled park female staff who approached the legion at the end. If you used a bit of civility it would have gone a long way to getting a nice response. She came barging through the legion screaming "who the **** is going to pick up this sh!t". Not everybody was told certain things have been banned (I only learned of it about 20 mins beforehand) and others didn't know at all so if you want answers speak to people in a civil manner because ranting and raving like a cow will get you nowhere fast (especially when nobody knew what you were on about when you started yelling)

all in all a crap night, I've tried to list the positives but to be honest, there weren't many

jasbec
11-08-08, 10:49 PM
I was all pumped up and felt good on the train to robina. The under 20's were sensational once again and the legion was looking and sounding good then at full time the legion seemed to lessen by about 50% in numbers and noise

The first set of 6 in 1st grade you could have heard a pin drop in the whole stadium and it only got worse. It was the worst atmosphere this season by a country mile. The players look like they have given up on the season already & couldn't be bothered so to be honest it's almost understandable the crowd have finally followed suit.Awful night for everyone involved apart from our U 20's

Our outside defence was abysmal and thats being generous.They ran past us at will all game and half the time we didnt even attempt to tackle.Josh lewis stopping dead in his tracks,throwing his arms up like a girl and letting the newie player stroll over untouched was disgraceful but he wasn't alone. On the plus side O'Dwyers massive tackle on Gidley(I think) was awesome and I saw him smash a couple more that went un-noticed

Our first grade team should be ashamed of themselves that they showed absolutely no attacking flair or ideas until a sixteen year old kid came on to try and run the show. Rankin showed his confidence and class the first time he touched it with his chip and chase.It was refreshing to see after watching the same old boring sh!te for the first 50 or so mins

The OOMPA LOOMPA touchie was funny as hell,then the touchie in first grade looked like Ben jeffery:D

Note to the skilled park female staff who approached the legion at the end. If you used a bit of civility it would have gone a long way to getting a nice response. She came barging through the legion screaming "who the **** is going to pick up this sh!t". Not everybody was told certain things have been banned (I only learned of it about 20 mins beforehand) and others didn't know at all so if you want answers speak to people in a civil manner because ranting and raving like a cow will get you nowhere fast (especially when nobody knew what you were on about when you started yelling)

all in all a crap night, I've tried to list the positives but to be honest, there weren't many
To right paul, it definately was CRAP!:ugh:

amaline
11-08-08, 10:50 PM
I think that try where Lewis watched him walk over the line was the worst. He has done that a few times, not playing to the whistle.

Steve
11-08-08, 10:59 PM
I think we may have stood a chance with Rankin in there for the full 80. He really pushed to break the line at every opportunity. If he didn't come in so late, he could have taken his time a bit more with it all.

If Prince is back next week, I'd like to see him in the 7, Rankin in 6, with Rogers replacing Cooper in the centres. Not that Cooper has done anything wrong, he's been great, just Rogers would be the better option.

O'Dwyer seemed to go a lot better in lock, that tackle on Gidley was awesome.

titanstattman
11-08-08, 11:08 PM

Yeah he was pretty funny and he even knew we were talking about him but dont forget about his old man the other guy and his younger borther the ball boy..........

Yes im with u on that chick but i think i shut her down petty qick aswell on that matter and i will be making a few calls about it......

GCT_89
11-08-08, 11:39 PM
...............disappointed.

patskE
11-08-08, 11:53 PM
ye, but knwoing carty, i rkn u see odwyer 4, with rogers 6 :(
can i jsut say the commentators are quick to blame presto...
it was lewis fault, campbell had the inside man, but lewis fell for the dummy.
i wanna see wat steve said, rogers 4, raikin 6

C-Whiz
12-08-08, 06:44 AM
From what I saw it seemed that Newxastle were drawing 3 into tackles and getting an offload away just about every time. They also had guys running off the ball carrier all night looking for an offload.

Titans on the other hand were ridiculously slow to move the ball, doing the same predictible inside plays, straight into tight Newc defence that wrapped us up everytime, and we had no one running off the ball carrier.

O'Dwyer had his best game IMO from what I saw. Rankin was the only guy out there who seemed willing to take a chance and try something different. And it worked most of the time.

lonegull
12-08-08, 07:04 AM
absolut digraceful effort from some of the first grade players, the titans short side defence was once again exposed with copper showing he is not a centre hes read in defence is terrible and he seems to be slow in making decisions, josh lewis farewell because after last nights performance pack your bags and go get some tackling practice with the under 8's, one of the worst individual games of have seen from an nrl player so good luck in balmain reserve grade side josh. on the bright side rankin was great we he injected himself, although i would have loved to see him get more involved a couple of more touches would have been great but the pressure on the kid would of been enormous congrads to Jordan,

carty should put under 20's side in for first grade next week, might spark a few of the first graders up :fight:

Titan2007
12-08-08, 07:46 AM

What a stupid comment! The three players you mentioned are 3 of the best defenders in the team. At least they are trying to do something! :mad: :mad: They are also the 'senior' players in the squad! Our wingers and centres would do good to take a leaf out of their books! If I was you, I would be watching where all the opposition trys are being scored. These three players will always try for opportunity. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 'Taking control and think they have to win the game' .. :doh: :doh:

amaline
12-08-08, 08:09 AM
What a stupid comment! The three players you mentioned are 3 of the best defenders in the team. At least they are trying to do something! :mad: :mad: They are also the 'senior' players in the squad! Our wingers and centres would do good to take a leaf out of their books! If I was you, I would be watching where all the opposition trys are being scored. These three players will always try for opportunity. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 'Taking control and think they have to win the game' .. :doh: :doh:

I thought that comment meant that there are 14 other players in the team, but they seemed to be the only ones doing anything.

TITAN PETE
12-08-08, 08:25 AM
A pathetic performance & everyone who was calling for Lewis to get a shot in the top grade will be very quiet after last nights effort & i think the Tigers will asking for their money back if they watch his last 2 games.
Cooper copped a headslam from the Mongrel Dog & his legs had turned to jelly then he probably should've left then field as it would not have counted on the interchange as the hit was put on report.

Agree with Whiz it was easily Odwyers best game & we'll see his hit on Gidley in many replays :surprise:

All in all easily the worst game this year.

Well done to Rankin on debut has he showed a touch of what he's capable of doing but if The Prince is back next week i don't think we'll see him again this year as our 20's have a serious shot at the title & he needs to be there to steer the guys around the park ;)

Nathalie
12-08-08, 10:28 AM

There was at least one - I came down to see the Legion for most of the second half!

And DieHard, you should change your name to Innocent^Brad. Don't you agree, Steve? :thumbsup:

titanstattman
12-08-08, 10:30 AM
There was at least one - I came down to see the Legion for most of the second half!

And DieHard, you should change your name to Innocent^Brad. Don't you agree, Steve? :thumbsup:

Did u come down i didnt get to say hi?????

Titan2007
12-08-08, 10:31 AM
I thought that comment meant that there are 14 other players in the team, but they seemed to be the only ones doing anything.

It could have (and I apologise if I jumped too quick) but I took it the other way and what I wrote I believe. A couple that post on here just have no idea. Harrison got Player's Player, pity it was in a losing game, so amongst the players, he must have shown something. Inexperience & weak defense on the fringes is what cost us the game, not 3 individuals trying to 'win' it themselves! Have you ever noticed that they are ' damned if they do and damned if they don't? :(

goldcoastitans
12-08-08, 10:31 AM
Did u come down i didnt get to say hi?????

me neither ................:nope:

amaline
12-08-08, 10:36 AM
It could have (and I apologise if I jumped too quick) but I took it the other way and what I wrote I believe. A couple that post on here just have no idea. Harrison got Player's Player, pity it was in a losing game, so amongst the players, he must have shown something. Inexperience & weak defense on the fringes is what cost us the game, not 3 individuals trying to 'win' it themselves! Have you ever noticed that they are ' damned if they do and damned if they don't? :(

Harrison had a great game. He put it a few really good kicks (I didn't know he could kick) and at times it seemed like he was the half back and not Lewis. If we didn't have Harrison and Friend, we would have lost by a lot more.

titanstattman
12-08-08, 10:52 AM

I argee with u on that.....

I wouldnt say other members on here have no idea but would say they have other opnions than wat u do........

bigjim
12-08-08, 11:17 AM
If playing a 16 year old school boy, no matter how well he tried, is the best option for the team, then that speaks volumes from the coach.

The season is over and Carty is trialing for next year.

Might as well through my passes away and get another $1,000 out for next seaon.

As I always say, it's not the loss that gets up my kilt, it's the complete lack of effort and the obvious capitulation they have shown in the last weeks that rots my shorts.

Instead of patting each other on the back and saying bad luck when a mistake is made, they should be getting kicked up the back-side.

I know is was only said in jest, but replacing this team with the Toyota Cup team might shake a few up, and you never know, we might get a win.
They couldn't do any worse.:mad:

Here a challenge for the team. Let's see if you can actually win another game before the end of the season.

craigyd
12-08-08, 11:19 AM
if they dont take control we are fodder,its a pity that only 3 players were standing up to be counted,there lies the big issue

craigyd
12-08-08, 11:28 AM
i thought our biggest problem last night was we seemed to have plenty of spectators on the field,waiting for someone else to make the tackle,waiting for someone else to take the ball up,and on several occasions i was waiting for someone to kick the ball on the 5th tackle,3 times on the 5th tackle we were caught with the ball and twice we were within striking distance.
I think Carty needs to take his head out of the sane,i cant believe in the press conferences the last 3 weeks he has said the same dribble like,they never stopped trying,more like they never started

lonegull
12-08-08, 11:36 AM
If playing a 16 year old school boy, no matter how well he tried, is the best option for the team, then that speaks volumes from the coach.

Might as well through my passes away and get another $1,000 out for next seaon.

As I always say, it's not the loss that gets up my kilt, it's the complete lack of effort and the obvious capitulation they have shown in the last weeks that rots my shorts.

Instead of patting each other on the back and saying bad luck when a mistake is made, they should be getting kicked up the back-side.

I know is was only said in jest, but replacing this team with the Toyota Cup team might shake a few up, and you never know, we might get a win.
They couldn't do any worse.:mad:

Here a challenge for the team. Let's see if you can actually win another game before the end of the season.

cant agree more, they have thrown in the towel in my mind, carty needs to get hard on them and dont forget they are all payed players, and on last nights pereformance a couple of the players were just there to make up numbers but i bet they will put there hand out for there playing payment. Carty needs to give these guys a rev, or maybe carty needs a rev from higher up about the disgracful performances of some players come on 2009 because 08 is done:mad: and dusted

bigjim
12-08-08, 11:40 AM

It's a pity a few more didn't think they had to win the game.:fist:

Paul
12-08-08, 11:47 AM
I'd add Preston campbell to the 3 already stated. he may have dropped a few balls last night but this bloke gives 110% every single week and runs harder than anybody for 80 mins.

When he was taken out by one of their props mid air last night & nearly knocked out of the stadium to broadbeach I thought he'd be dead but he popped straight back up and got stuck in straight away.

bigjim
12-08-08, 11:54 AM
cant agree more, they have thrown in the towel in my mind, carty needs to get hard on them and dont forget they are all payed players, and on last nights pereformance a couple of the players were just there to make up numbers but i bet they will put there hand out for there playing payment. Carty needs to give these guys a rev, or maybe carty needs a rev from higher up about the disgracful performances of some players come on 2009 because 08 is done:mad: and dusted

Absolutely.

Here's a thought. When a player wins he gets a bonus. That's normal.
How about if a team loses they get a fine. For every point loss $250 is added to the fine. So if the team loses by 3 converted tries, that's 18 points and a $4,500 salary deduction for each player.

I'll tell you what, there would be fewer losses and those losses we did have would be a lot closer.

Just a thought.

craigyd
12-08-08, 12:23 PM
Absolutely.

How about if a team loses they get a fine. For every point loss $250 is added to the fine. So if the team loses by 3 converted tries, that's 18 points and a $4,500 salary deduction for each player.

I'll tell you what, there would be fewer losses and those losses we did have would be a lot closer.

Just a thought.
Great idea.money talks and they would never stop trying for 80 mins

amaline
12-08-08, 12:29 PM
Great idea.money talks and they would never stop trying for 80 mins

At the same time, you want players who will never stop for 80 minutes because they are committed to the team, not to money.

Tamwelg
12-08-08, 12:51 PM
I just watched the game on the game on fox and the defensive efforts of Cooper, Lewis and, as much as I hate to say it, Campbell were not good enough for NRL level. Cooper is too slow to cover the faster centers out wide, Josh Lewis is just useless (not even a speed bump) and Campbell has just been making a few bad defensive decisions lately.

It was good to have Friendy back out there to limit the meters and linebreaks up the middle that crippled us the past few weeks (most of their meters where made out wide by their backs). Harrison had his best game as 5/8 and Atkins is getting more comfortable on the wing.

I would have loved to have seen Rankin play the full match.

Tamwelg
12-08-08, 12:57 PM

I disagree. He was left with practically no other option. Prince injured, Rogers suspended, unable to play Davis due to salary cap (not confirmed), Kayne Lawton injured and Lewis is not NRL material. Who else could he play?

Play Campbell at 7, then who at fullback?

kwigibo
12-08-08, 01:20 PM
Play Campbell at 7, then who at fullback?

If you don't want Walker at FB, then put Rapana there and bring in Tonga or Gordon on the wing.

Tamwelg
12-08-08, 01:30 PM
If you don't want Walker at FB, then put Rapana there and bring in Tonga or Gordon on the wing.

Yeah, that's not a bad option.

Paul
12-08-08, 01:58 PM
Absolutely.

Just a thought.

In theory,it's a good idea.In reality it would be illegal(I'm sure) and unfair to players who didn't play like U/6's

Players like Nathan Friend & daniel Conn who work their ****s off game in/game out & do more than their fair share of the workload already get penalised for the incompetance of a few.

Sometimes a loss is down to other factors besides players playing garbage(like last night).

Carty should be addressing the glaring defensive problems we have first and foremost. I saw more aggressive defending at the touch footy game at Robina common last saturday than I did at skilled park last night

Boonarga
12-08-08, 02:14 PM
Was that Lewis that tried to barge over from dummy half on the last tackle? One of the under 8's that played at half time could have stopped him.

Rankin showed signs that he is going to be something special. Seems to have an old football head and didn't appear to be overawed at all.

How bad was it to see Newcastle doing a lap of honour on OUR ground while our blokes slink off to the sheds? Summed up the whole night.

What is it with all the grubs who can't pick up their rubbish when leaving? Do you leave filth laying around all over your home? How hard is it to carry your junk to a bin?

Positives? We have the hottest cheer squad. :thumbsup:

Nathalie
12-08-08, 03:09 PM
Jeebuz, I'm sorry! I was right there - right there!!! The one who came down at halftime wearing a Titans jersey and white Titans hat. Black hair. Guess I wasn't that memorable :rolf:

Paul
12-08-08, 03:23 PM
Jeebuz, I'm sorry! I was right there - right there!!! The one who came down at halftime wearing a Titans jersey and white Titans hat. Black hair. Guess I wasn't that memorable :rolf:
to be fair, the team had put most of us to sleep by that stage :D

TITAN PETE
12-08-08, 04:15 PM

I think Lewis had already left for the Tigers & in Coopers defence he should've been replaced after he was head slammed & his legs were jelly :dizzy: but the Knights were just far too good against a team that is playing with no confidence :nope:

Lets hope 09 is a better year as even if we beat the Cowboys,Broncos & Tigers we'll still miss the 8 as we have almost the worst for & against in the comp but winning any of those games doesn't look too promising.

I'll still be cheering the guys on for the last few games so to all the supporters out there be sure To Keep The Support Going or we'll look like Broncos fans if we desert them :p

C-Whiz
12-08-08, 04:46 PM
but the Knights were just far too good against a team that is playing with no confidence :nope: That's it in a nutshell. Newcastle played like a team wanting to be in the finals.

Titan2007
12-08-08, 05:04 PM
I argee with u on that.....

I wouldnt say other members on here have no idea but would say they have other opnions than wat u do........

I said some. I suppose I should have said a couple. Opinions, yes, footy knowledge, no. :doh:

Bayside Titan
12-08-08, 07:16 PM
I agree with Kwigibo. I think that you maybe onto something?? What do people think of this back line for the next game?
7. Prince ( if he is back)/ Presto
6. Rogers
5. Tonga
4. Delany
3. Josh Graham( He played centre for the Western Force)
2. Atkins/ Rapana
1. Presto / Rapana

I think that Friendy tightened up the ruck area, but we leaked too many points out wide. The forwards played well but some could have looked to punch through the line with purpose.

If the following players are available we should look to see if we can sign them as they come form successful clubs and can really add something to our back line. Brett Seymore, Darius Boyd and Sam Perritt.

higgs
14-08-08, 12:40 AM
hey was just wondering if anyone knows who,ll be goalkicking this week against cowboys?presto looked pretty good last week or will rogers take over?

Nathalie
14-08-08, 02:48 PM
to be fair, the team had put most of us to sleep by that stage :D

Yeah I understand that! But on Monday I am booking my ticket for the last home game. :D See you then!