PDA

View Full Version : England to meet Wales in World Cup warm up

DIEHARD
20-06-08, 02:51 AM
England to meet Wales in final World Cup warm up

England to meet Wales in final World Cup warm up game as Dixon is named new Welsh boss

England will play Wales in a final warm-up game before they head off to Australia for the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

The Gillette Fusion International will be played at Doncaster?s Keepmoat Stadium on Friday 10 October and will see Celtic Crusaders boss John Dixon take charge of the Welsh after he was today appointed their new Head Coach.

It will be first time that the two nations have played each other since 2003 when an England A side ran out 22-4 winners at Headingley Carnegie.

The England A side that day featured a number of players who will be hopeful of making Tony Smith?s World Cup squad including the Leeds Rhinos trio of Rob Burrow, Danny McGuire and Matt Diskin, as well the Wigan pair of Sean O?Loughlin and Gareth Hock.

Tony Smith said: ?By the time we play Wales in the Gillette Fusion International, players will be fighting it out for places in the starting line-up against Papua New Guinea so they?ll all be keen to impress.

?Wales will be ideal preparation for us before we head off Down Under. They are strong competitive side with an ever increasing number of Welsh born players in their team. We will be using the fixture as preparation for this autumn?s World Cup, where as the Welsh will be using it as the start of their planning process for the next World Cup.

Part of Wales? long-term planning has seen the appointment of a new coaching team.

Celtic Crusaders? John Dixon was today appointed Head Coach with Iestyn Harris and Justin Morgan named as his assistants. Anthony Siebold takes over as Strength and Conditioning Coach whilst John Devereux will remain in his current role as Team Manager.

The Gillette Fusion International at the Keepmoat Stadium will be the second major Rugby League event to be played in Doncaster this year.

On Sunday 27 July the venue will host the Carnegie Challenge Cup semi-final between Wakefield Wildcats and Hull FC.

England coach Tony Smith added: ?I?m excited about playing at the Keepmoat as it is a superb looking stadium with excellent facilities. South Yorkshire is a development area for Rugby League and we hope by playing an international match there and pricing tickets competitively we can attract some new people to the game.

?This will be our last game before the World Cup so it will act as a big send off for the team. I?d urge people to come and see us before we go as this could be the last chance people get to see the England side before we hopefully return as World Cup winners.?

Tickets for the Gillette Fusion International between England and Wales at Doncaster?s Keepmoat Stadium are now on sale with prices starting from ?10 for adults and ?5 for concessions.

For more information, please call 0871 226 13 13 or visit www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk and www.englandrl.co.uk

Source: http://www.superleague.co.uk

DIEHARD
20-06-08, 02:53 AM
Wales are a strong rugby league nation who really should have been in the World Cup.

This match ensures that the Welsh have a Test Match in 2008 and that the English will have another challenging hit out before the World Cup.

I'm really disappointed to see Wales not coming down under for the World Cup but I wish them success in their quest for a Super League license with the Celtic Crusaders.

TITAN PETE
20-06-08, 11:31 AM
It would be a real kick in the **** if the Welsh beat the Poms :surprise:

DIEHARD
20-06-08, 12:16 PM
It would be a real kick in the **** if the Welsh beat the Poms :surprise:

Reminds me of when the Burleigh Bears nearly beat Great Britain while on tour in 1999.

quins rl
20-06-08, 04:43 PM
John Dixon talking up the game in Wales and the Crusaders...my heart wants them in SL,i just have this nagging doubt its too soon for them...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/7446815.stm

TITAN PETE
20-06-08, 06:20 PM
Reminds me of when the Burleigh Bears nearly beat Great Britain while on tour in 1999.

I was at that match & still have the shirt to prove it;) , i think it was 18-16 but i know there was only 2 points in it :D

quins rl
20-06-08, 06:41 PM
I was at that match & still have the shirt to prove it;) , i think it was 18-16 but i know there was only 2 points in it :D
I have 10-6 score locked away in the back of my mind for some reason.

DIEHARD
21-06-08, 11:33 AM

I always knew you were an extreme rugby league fan, that proves it!