PDA

View Full Version : Origin bolter Darius Boyd set to replace banned Hodges

Tamwelg
03-06-08, 07:26 AM
Origin bolter Darius Boyd set to replace banned Hodges

Steve Ricketts, Matt Marshall | June 03, 2008 12:00am

BRISBANE flyer Darius Boyd is set to be plucked from oblivion today and named as a Queensland State of Origin bolter as the Maroons scramble to cover the loss of star centre Justin Hodges to suspension.

In a shock Origin selection, Boyd is tipped to be named on the wing for tomorrow week's Game Two clash against NSW at Suncorp Stadium as one of four new faces in the Maroons squad.

In other major news the Titans' "Heartbreak Kid", Scott Prince, will again be snubbed. Test No. 7 Johnathan Thurston will partner returning champion Darren Lockyer ? who will reclaim the captaincy from Cam Smith ? in the halves.

In other changes, Gold Coast utility Ash Harrison is expected to win a spot on the bench at the expense of Bronco P. J. Marsh.

Marsh will be one of three casualties from Queensland's Game One loss, alongside Cowboys forwards Carl Webb and Jacob Lillyman.

Boyd's selection comes after Queensland chose not to even name Hodges, who faces six to eight weeks on the sidelines for his lifting tackle on Parramatta hooker Mark Riddell last Friday night.

Test No. 1 Billy Slater is likely to retain his fullback spot, with Game One pivot Karmichael Hunt to start from the bench due to Lockyer's return.

Alongside Lockyer, veteran prop Steve Price also returns and will start the game in the front row.

Boyd's selection will prove the major talking point when the Maroons side for June 11's return bout is named this afternoon in Brisbane.

It is understood Boyd, who won an NRL premiership with Brisbane on the wing in his debut 2006 season, has beaten out clubmate Denan Kemp, Cowboys flyer Ash Graham and veteran centre Steve Bell for a prized spot in Queensland's star-studded backline.

His selection will probably be a bitter-sweet moment for his housemate, busted Bronco Steve Michaels, who would certainly have been in the frame before his season was ended by a knee reconstruction in late April.

The Boyd gamble is reminiscent of underrated Canberra centre Adam Mogg's call-up in Game Two, 2006.

Mogg's inclusion proved a masterstroke, as he scored three tries in two Origin games, including a double on debut.

Source - Courier Mail

Tamwelg
03-06-08, 07:28 AM
I think Boyd will do well at SOO and he is a better option then Steve Bell. I can't believe they are contemplating giving Prince the cold shoulder again, my fingers will be crossed for him and Ash.

TITAN PETE
03-06-08, 08:10 AM
He should've got a start before the oxygen theif Tate :fight:

Blunt_Beno
03-06-08, 05:43 PM
He should've got a start before the oxygen theif Tate :fight:

i 100% agree. so shouldve about 10 other players haha.