PDA

View Full Version : Davis a chance to earn Titans debut

Tamwelg
03-06-08, 08:23 AM
Davis a chance to earn Titans debut

Pat Mcleod

03Jun08

SCOTT Prince's likely State of Origin recall today may result in a dream Titans NRL debut for Seagulls captain Brad Davis.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright will this morning sift through his options for Monday night's showdown with the Storm, and the shock elevation of Davis is emerging as a distinct possibility.

Cartwright yesterday was reluctant to show his hand too early but he did indicate that Davis was in his calculations.

The 26-year-old was recruited to the Gold Coast from Werris Creek, in NSW, almost a decade ago by scouting guru Tom Searle, father of Titans managing director Michael Searle.

Searle Jnr has a huge opinion of Davis.

"Yes, both Dad and I think very highly of him," said Michael Searle.

"I think he is a very real option against the Storm. The way he controls the State League team shows his class.

"There has always been a thought process from our point of view that Brad would get a chance at some stage.

"I don't see that as being out of the realms of possibility. I think he would do a grand job.

"He has a great kicking game, good organisational skills, and has a cool head. He has all the traits that could see him playing in first grade.

"He trained with the first grade squad during the whole off-season and we would not invest in him, in that regard, if we were not going to give him an opportunity.

"I think there are a couple of different scenarios that Carty would look at.

"I think the key is usually that you would not make too many changes. Presto (Preston Campbell) could play seven, but has been playing so well at fullback Carty may be reluctant to move him."

With Mat Rogers still struggling to overcome a rib injury, Ashley Harrison is likely to stay at five-eighth to reduce the number of changes.

In the forwards the Titans will lose Anthony Laffranchi to the NSW Origin team, but have the depth to cover him.

Davis's quality was confirmed yesterday when he was named as the captain of the Queensland Residents team, which will take on their NSW counterparts as the curtain-raiser to Origin 2 next Wednesday.

He said an NRL call-up would be the realisation of a dream.

"Of course I am still hungry to play NRL, just one game," he said.

"If I was given the chance it would be a massive opportunity, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

"If Carty thinks it is the right call, then great, but he has other options such as Josh Lewis, who has also been in great form."

If Davis was called up it would be another vote of confidence in the Titans Queensland Cup feeder system.

Burleigh Bears winger Jordan Atkins walked a similar path to Davis last year, training with the Titans while playing Queensland Cup.

He impressed Cartwright so much that he was given the green light for the opening match of the 2008 NRL season and scored four tries on debut.

"I think Jordan was a great example to all Queensland Cup players," said Davis. "He showed the dream can be realised. You just have to keep working, believe in yourself and take chances."

www.goldcoast.com.au

Tamwelg
03-06-08, 08:33 AM
Well it look like Prince will be snubbed yet again.

In other major news the Titans' "Heartbreak Kid", Scott Prince, will again be snubbed. Test No. 7 Johnathan Thurston will partner returning champion Darren Lockyer – who will reclaim the captaincy from Cam Smith – in the halves.

In other changes, Gold Coast utility Ash Harrison is expected to win a spot on the bench at the expense of Bronco P. J. Marsh.

and Ash Harrison may be getting a call up. I'd still call up Brad Davis if Harrison and Rogers aren't available. At least that way he would be wearing his preferred number. I think Davis and Prince would actually be the best combination Titans can put on the park in the 6 and 7, with Rogers back in the centers. Rogers has been doing a great job in the 6, I'm just a big fan of Davis.

lonegull
03-06-08, 08:38 AM
Well it look like Prince will be snubbed yet again.

and Ash Harrison may be getting a call up. I'd still call up Brad Davis if Harrison and Rogers aren't available. At least that way he would be wearing his preferred number. I think Davis and Prince would actually be the best combination Titans can put on the park in the 6 and 7, with Rogers back in the centers. Rogers has been doing a great job in the 6, I'm just a big fan of Davis.

cant agree more he has great organisational skills and can rally his tropps around the park, has a good kicking game and always gives a 110% i hope he gets his chance will not let the team down

TITAN PETE
03-06-08, 09:08 AM
Agree with you guys Brad is a "Dead Set 100% 5/8 & could make the position his own within a couple of matches if given the chance.;)

There may be a lot of people who haven't heard much of him but if you've ever seen him play QLD Cup he's a star you only have to look at Seagulls performance early in the year when Davis was injured they lost 6 games in a row before his return & now are expected to be finals bound again as they look like the team to beat :surprise:

Paul
03-06-08, 01:31 PM
Ive never heard of him but if he's half as good as you blokes are saying I'll be happy

Steve
03-06-08, 01:50 PM
I say put him in 5/8 either way, leave Harrison at lock. :D

Blunt_Beno
03-06-08, 01:59 PM
I say put him in 5/8 either way, leave Harrison at lock. :D

ive never heard of this davis guy but if he is as good as i hear then i agree, im not a big fan of harrison in the halves. but as a lock, he is outstanding.

kwigibo
03-06-08, 04:02 PM
Have seen him play plenty of QLD cup, haven't watched that closely though, how's his defense? Better than Lewis'?

Tamwelg
03-06-08, 06:04 PM
No Titans team listed anywhere yet, but Tweed team is up on the QRL website with no Brad Davis in it. I think he is about to be given his shot in the Titans number 6.

patskE
03-06-08, 06:35 PM
man give walker the number 6 :P

Blunt_Beno
03-06-08, 06:40 PM
man give walker the number 6 :P

why not he cant do any worse than hunt :laugh:

Pumba
03-06-08, 11:05 PM
No Titans team listed anywhere yet, but Tweed team is up on the QRL website with no Brad Davis in it. I think he is about to be given his shot in the Titans number 6.

He won't play this weekend, Been announced as Captain in the QLD Residents team.

Queensland Residents: Nick Parfitt (Burleigh), Kaine Manihera (Redcliffe), Brett Kelly (Souths Logan), Karl Johnson (Central Comets), Kyle Lodge (Souths Logan), Brad Davis (capt, Tweed), Josh Lewis (Ipswich), Isaak Ah Mau (Ipswich), Ian Lacey (Ipswich), Scott Bolton (Northern Pride), Martin Griese (Burleigh), Luke Swain (Tweed), Luke Dalziel-Don (Wynnum Manly). Interchange: Selasi Berdie (Tweed), Lewis Balcomb (Souths Logan), Clint Amos (Tweed Seagulls), Adam Fielder (Burleigh Bears).

LINK (http://news.smh.com.au/sport/sacked-bronco-earns-origin-ii-night-nod-20080602-2ktb.html)

patskE
03-06-08, 11:27 PM
luke swain is playing for us... but his name there
its like henderson
he got droped from that side once he got selected
swain was a late call up to last weeks game
n wont be slected

patskE
06-06-08, 05:39 PM
man jsut read a article, n they saying how good he is, he got a cool head n stuff, n its just wat prince needs, y donst he wear the number 6 all the time with rogers in the centres? we need him back in the number 3...