PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys vs Eels

Titans#1
25-09-05, 09:07 AM
:confused:

No idea for this one, but since i'm a QLD'er I better go the Cowboys.

Teegy
25-09-05, 09:32 AM
Smae my moneys on the cowboy because i dislike Para so much

PARANoIR
25-09-05, 09:37 AM
My money's on the Cowboys, just coz they're a better side on their day.

I've been tipping a Cowboys - Tigers GF for weeks, so I better stick to it.

Teegy
25-09-05, 09:44 AM
Cowboys 13+ at TAB is still at $13

PARANoIR
25-09-05, 10:00 AM
Thats great value at 13 bucks. Whoever put money on a Tigers v Cowboys/Eels GF at the start of the year is going to be a very, very rich man!

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 10:02 AM
I will back cowboys, they can do it, but i think it will depend on how parra pull up from the week off, sometimes that can be a bad thing like we saw last night in the tigers-dragons game

Dakink
25-09-05, 10:20 AM
Eels by about 20 unless the cowboys really lift there game..

God that hurt to say.

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 11:03 AM
you sure that wasnt a mis-type DaKink? ;)

Dakink
25-09-05, 11:05 AM
Which bit - the 20 or the hurt to say it - cause I can tell you it really hurt to say!

Teegy
25-09-05, 11:19 AM
I would got the other way with Cowboys by 20

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 02:11 PM
Murray gives Smith reasons to be nervous

24 September 2005

Constant pressure, the nagging limelight and even comparisons with Peter Sterling and Andrew Johns haven't fazed Parramatta halfback Tim Smith in his rookie NRL season.

But North Queensland coach Graham Murray believes he has three reasons why the 20-year-old playmaker should show his first sign of nerves their NRL grand final qualifier at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

Murray says the Cowboys' back three - wingers Matt Sing and Ty Williams and fullback Matt Bowen - are North Queensland's answer to the young Eel's sublime talents.

Smith's kicking and passing have been second to none in his debut year - and that trend had better continue against North Queensland.

An errant kick or dropped ball will prove costly against a side that has scored easily a league-high 17 tries from broken play this season - seven more than nearest rival Canberra - thanks mainly to its back three speedsters.

Compared to Parramatta's Eric Grothe, Wade McKinnon and Luke Burt, North Queensland's back three have nabbed 19 more tries, six more try assists, 10 more line breaks and 560 more metres in 2005.

"The back three have to be pretty good. He has to have a good array of kicks," Murray warned Smith.

"I was quoted saying (Smith had a) Andrew Johns-style (kicking game). I'm not sure if he's that standard but he's creeping up there.

"Don't forget he's one of the leaders in try assists in the NRL. You don't get that by fluke. He'll get our respect, that's for sure.

"(But) we are proud of our back three...once that ball gets kicked...we are pretty confident these guys have the anticipation and the courage to come up with the football."

Asked if Smith would be nervous in the biggest game of his life, Murray said: "I've never met the young fella, I don't know what he's like but it's a big game tomorrow - I think they will all be nervous at some stage."

Bowen admitted all the talk had been on countering Smith's all round game after the youngster tore the Cowboys apart 50-12 in round nine.

"The last time we played Parramatta. Tim Smith had a field day. Our back three will be looking at that game and hoping to improve," Bowen said.

"We talk about Tim Smith all week. He's going to be a big part of tomorrow's game. (But) we won't be too overawed - we're looking forward to it."

Veteran Eels forward Michael Vella made no bones about the Cowboys' attacking edge

"They've got Matty Bowen, Ty Williams and Matty Sing - their back three is exceptional," he said.

"We've got to make sure everyone in the middle is on their game when those three come in looking for the ball."

Gold Coast-bred Smith leads the league in try assists (40) and is line to create history as the first rookie halfback to play every game of the season on the way to clinching a premiership.

But Eels legend Brett Kenny remained unimpressed.

"I would like to see him do the same things next year before I am prepared to say he's going to be a great player," he said.

"You see it happen so often, guys in their first year having a great season and then in their second they struggle - it happened to Braith Anasta, Karmichael Hunt and Sonny Bill Williams when he wasn't injured.

"A lot of people tend to give them more praise than they probably deserve. At one stage they were talking about Tim being the next Peter Sterling - he's only been playing for 12 months.

"He's played well but these (preliminary finals) are different games and it remains to be seen how he performs in these type of games."

Titans#1
25-09-05, 03:31 PM
Go Cowboy's. (Only cause they are from QLD)

DeeGan
25-09-05, 03:54 PM
I tipped Parramatta Eels.

The NQ Cowboys are dangerous this afternoon, they have no expectation and slipping in under the radar. The Cowboys have not been the same team as last season, though they have the star players (Bowen, Thurston) and forwards (Rauhihi, Tronc, Southern, O'Donnell) that can take this game away from Parramatta if they are not switched on.

I said in another thread, the three most impressive teams in 2005 were the Dragons, Eels and Tigers, this Parramatta outfit minus Hindmarsh should be too strong for the Cowboys. Here is stat for you, 4 times without Hindmarsh in 2005, 4 wins for the Eels? This is a champion team.

Apart from a very strong 13, the Eels have the best bench in the competition. The Cowboys will have to play one hellova' 80 minutes to topple this team.

As I type this, it begins to spit rain in Sydney. This plays to the advantage of the Eels more so than the Cowboys.

Tim Smith's kicking game will go along way to setting up this win. Expect Smith to target Bowen with the bomb as well as kick for his big outside backs who have the height advantage in comparison to the back three of the Cowboys.

Another great game in store for NRL fans!

DeeGan
25-09-05, 03:55 PM
Murray gives Smith reasons to be nervous

24 September 2005

Constant pressure, the nagging limelight and even comparisons with Peter Sterling and Andrew Johns haven't fazed Parramatta halfback Tim Smith in his rookie NRL season.

But North Queensland coach Graham Murray believes he has three reasons why the 20-year-old playmaker should show his first sign of nerves their NRL grand final qualifier at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

Murray says the Cowboys' back three - wingers Matt Sing and Ty Williams and fullback Matt Bowen - are North Queensland's answer to the young Eel's sublime talents.

Smith's kicking and passing have been second to none in his debut year - and that trend had better continue against North Queensland.

An errant kick or dropped ball will prove costly against a side that has scored easily a league-high 17 tries from broken play this season - seven more than nearest rival Canberra - thanks mainly to its back three speedsters.

Compared to Parramatta's Eric Grothe, Wade McKinnon and Luke Burt, North Queensland's back three have nabbed 19 more tries, six more try assists, 10 more line breaks and 560 more metres in 2005.

"The back three have to be pretty good. He has to have a good array of kicks," Murray warned Smith.

"I was quoted saying (Smith had a) Andrew Johns-style (kicking game). I'm not sure if he's that standard but he's creeping up there.

"Don't forget he's one of the leaders in try assists in the NRL. You don't get that by fluke. He'll get our respect, that's for sure.

"(But) we are proud of our back three...once that ball gets kicked...we are pretty confident these guys have the anticipation and the courage to come up with the football."

Asked if Smith would be nervous in the biggest game of his life, Murray said: "I've never met the young fella, I don't know what he's like but it's a big game tomorrow - I think they will all be nervous at some stage."

Bowen admitted all the talk had been on countering Smith's all round game after the youngster tore the Cowboys apart 50-12 in round nine.

"The last time we played Parramatta. Tim Smith had a field day. Our back three will be looking at that game and hoping to improve," Bowen said.

"We talk about Tim Smith all week. He's going to be a big part of tomorrow's game. (But) we won't be too overawed - we're looking forward to it."

Veteran Eels forward Michael Vella made no bones about the Cowboys' attacking edge

"They've got Matty Bowen, Ty Williams and Matty Sing - their back three is exceptional," he said.

"We've got to make sure everyone in the middle is on their game when those three come in looking for the ball."

Gold Coast-bred Smith leads the league in try assists (40) and is line to create history as the first rookie halfback to play every game of the season on the way to clinching a premiership.

But Eels legend Brett Kenny remained unimpressed.

"I would like to see him do the same things next year before I am prepared to say he's going to be a great player," he said.

"You see it happen so often, guys in their first year having a great season and then in their second they struggle - it happened to Braith Anasta, Karmichael Hunt and Sonny Bill Williams when he wasn't injured.

"A lot of people tend to give them more praise than they probably deserve. At one stage they were talking about Tim being the next Peter Sterling - he's only been playing for 12 months.

"He's played well but these (preliminary finals) are different games and it remains to be seen how he performs in these type of games."

Please quote the source when pasting articles.

Cheers

DeeGan

DeeGan
25-09-05, 04:30 PM
After 30 minutes, the Eels are looking lost in this game.

The handling is poor from both teams though the Cowboys are the most impressive given their opening defensive efforts and the try to one of my favourite players in the competition in Matt Bowen.

Brian Smith can not wait to his team into the sheds at halftime.

The Eels have no apparent game plan and seem to be forcing their hand way too much.

Wet weather rugby league is about establishing forward momentum and keeping things tight with ball in hand. You grind out a win in slippery conditions, not look for the tv highlight moment on every set of 6.

Upset on the cards here today....

Cliffy GC
25-09-05, 04:41 PM
i cant believe how a club who has choked so often in the big games can just keep choking

unbelievable but im enjoyin it

go cows

Storm
25-09-05, 04:44 PM
I'am watching the game at the moment and its halftime, on comes the channel 9 newsbreak during the commercial break saying ****** has already won and will play the Tigers next week.
I though the game was live on tele, why would they put that in the newsbreak when the game is only halfway finished on tv?
Strange but true.

PARANoIR
25-09-05, 04:53 PM
Thats wrong, because it's live. Its not finished yet, the news have lied, because it is live coverage. Great game so far.

18 nil to the cowboys at the start of the second half.

DeeGan
25-09-05, 05:04 PM
IF the Eels end up losing this, Brian Smith can expect more knives to be sharpened tomorrow morning by those in the media who have a hidden agenda when writing in opposition to him.

Mavfan
25-09-05, 05:15 PM
The Eels are playing without any hunger. Its unfortunate, as they deserved to make the Grand final.

But, full credit to the Cowboys.

Dakink
25-09-05, 05:58 PM
Eels by about 20 unless the cowboys really lift there game..

God that hurt to say.

Dont I look stupid.

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 06:03 PM
Please quote the source when pasting articles.

Cheers

DeeGan

Sorry about that, that was from nrl.com..

Yes you do DaKink told you it was a mistype :D :p

Now i think that everyone on this forum lets get behind the cowboys (unless your a tigers fan of course...)

GO THE COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeeGan
25-09-05, 06:06 PM
Dont I look stupid.

Mate, having Parramatta put in their worst performance of the year did not help anyone's Eels prediction lol.

I am in the boat with ya'

Cheers

DeeGan

p.s. On a side note, I picked up $80 odd dollars placing $20 on the Cowboys yesterday ;) The juicy odds were too good to pass up!

Shadow XL
25-09-05, 06:16 PM
Mate, having Parramatta put in their worst performance of the year did not help anyone's Eels prediction lol.

Cheers

DeeGan

p.s. On a side note, I picked up $80 odd dollars placing $20 on the Cowboys yesterday ;) The juicy odds were too good to pass up!
Told you all that was great value :):):)

Teegy
25-09-05, 06:35 PM

Cheers

DeeGan

I picked Up 1$18 for the win and $260 for the Cowboys winning the 13+

Dakink
25-09-05, 06:35 PM
I picked Up 1$18 for the win and $260 for the Cowboys winning the 13+

Your shout then!

Teegy
25-09-05, 06:38 PM
Not bad day after last night

Chaos
25-09-05, 07:24 PM
It's great to see people talking about the Cowboys in a positive note.
I'm living in Sydney at the moment and up until now it has been all St George this and Dragons that.

I placed a bet with the Cowboys to win the GF when they were paying $17 and everyone down here laughed.
Now who is laughing?

I'm thinking about cutting my loses and betting on the Tigers for insurance. I've already made my money.