PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Laffranchi to sign new Titan's contract

Tamwelg
12-05-08, 02:10 AM
Anthony Laffranchi to sign new Titan's contract

Karl Dekroo | May 12, 2008 12:00am

CELEBRATIONS will start early for State of Origin-bound back-rower Anthony Laffranchi today with the in-form forward set to sign a lucrative new three-year deal with the Gold Coast.

Laffranchi, who served as Australia's 18th man before last Friday night's Centenary Test, is considered a certainty to be named in the 17-man NSW squad tomorrow.

Laffranchi shared Titans player of the year honours with Luke Bailey in the club's inaugural season and has maintained his strong form in 2008.

Continuing an impressive retention process that has already netted Preston Campbell, Luke O'Dwyer, Josh Graham and Shannon Walker, the Titans have moved quickly to lock away the former Wests Tigers forward.

They will today trumpet a deal that will keep Laffranchi on the Coast until at least the end of 2011.

Laffranchi's call-up will be one of several changes made to the Blues under new coach Craig Bellamy.

Matt Cooper is poised to edge out Jamie Lyon at centre and Greg Bird is favoured to be NSW five-eighth ahead of Braith Anasta.

Anasta has been in splendid form this year but the selectors are known to be fans of Bird, who played five-eighth for Australia in the Test win over New Zealand on Friday.

"I am still adamant I really want to play five-eighth for NSW if that is the way selectors want to go," Bird said.

"I wouldn't say I really put my claims forward after the Centenary Test because I didn't have quite as dominant a game as I would have liked."

Newcastle's Kurt Gidley is tipped to be NSW halfback ahead of Brett Finch, Peter Wallace, Jarrod Mullen and Mitchell Pearce.

There were suggestions last night that Wallace might yet win a place on the interchange bench, a move that has the support of former Blues coach Graham Murray.

"The thing I like about Peter Wallace is that he can play halfback or five-eighth and has a good kicking game," Murray said. "He showed in the City-Country game that he can also slot into the hooking role and I reckon he could also cover fullback.

"He's a footballer and it seems whatever position he is thrown into he doesn't get fazed. That's what you need in State of Origin."

Melbourne's Anthony Quinn is ready to secure his first Origin jumper provided he gets through tonight's match against Newcastle without injury.

With Bird at five-eighth, Sharks teammate Paul Gallen is expected to drop back to lock, with Ryan Hoffman partnering Laffranchi in the second row.

Manly prop Brent Kite is still a chance to be chosen, despite suggestions he will miss out.

Sydney Roosters pair Anthony Tupou and Willie Mason are ready to be used off the bench.

Source - Courier Mail

Tamwelg
12-05-08, 02:12 AM
Didn't realise he was off contact this year, thought it was next year. Best and one of the most important re-signings the club has made and he's one of my faves as well :D

Ryan
12-05-08, 06:37 AM
When I logged on, all I could read on the Message Board Headings was "Anthony Laffranchi to sign........".
I thought ohhh f#?k!, wheres he going?

Haha, what a relief! :thumbsup:

Paul
12-05-08, 06:37 AM
I thought the same thing Ryan,my heart almost stopped haha

excellent news,good onya Boof

TITAN PETE
12-05-08, 10:27 AM
The most Important signing for the Titans in 08' :fist:

lonegull
12-05-08, 10:42 AM
great news he is only going to get better, good on ya Boof

craigyd
12-05-08, 11:23 AM
phew,cant loose men like him.Im glad we tied him up to a 3 year deal,imagine what he will be worth $ after 2 seasons of origins and test jerseys.
Good work Searle.

shamus
12-05-08, 05:54 PM
Didn't realise he was off contact this year, thought it was next year. Best and one of the most important re-signings the club has made and he's one of my faves as well :D

You were correct.....He was signed until the end of 2009

daveyk
12-05-08, 10:18 PM
was very pleased to read it in todays paper that he was resigning and then to get home and see it actually hapened on the news... what can i say, its a great way to start the week....

goldcoastitans
13-05-08, 10:32 AM
i love this man so glad he decided to stay ... now back to kicking ass this YR!